Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Question for the Survival mode, what is a realistic "level" to shoot for? I am playing with a 4 year old and when doing COOP only 1 of us gets a powerup after a level so i try to let him get all the punch moves and +defense and stuff and only take upgrades myself when theres no good option. We're getting capped out at around level 17 but I see the leaderboard has people getting to the 90s? 100s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I can get to like level 28ish, but I'm not a four year old so 17 seems pretty good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jerkface posted:

Question for the Survival mode, what is a realistic "level" to shoot for? I am playing with a 4 year old and when doing COOP only 1 of us gets a powerup after a level so i try to let him get all the punch moves and +defense and stuff and only take upgrades myself when theres no good option. We're getting capped out at around level 17 but I see the leaderboard has people getting to the 90s? 100s?

If you go by the trophies, the main milestone is 18 and then the tough challenge is 30.

My advice for this or any other game is to never compare yourself to the leaderboards.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After level 32 damage scaling for enemies gets absolutely stupid (like, red fat guys breathing fire will instantly kill you from full health even if you have max defence powerups). Level 90-100 is basically completely bullshit streamer bait and takes upwards of 6 hours due to how later levels have more and more waves.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Ok I will reconsider what success is with that in mind. I kinda wish theyd let the scaling slow until level 50 or something as the mode itself is really fun but theres just something about constantly losing on level 17 that felt off lol

I ended up playing solo today as Cherry and got up to level 33 abusing her blitz attack with some very key blitz upgrades so i feel satisfied.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jerkface posted:

Ok I will reconsider what success is with that in mind. I kinda wish theyd let the scaling slow until level 50 or something as the mode itself is really fun but theres just something about constantly losing on level 17 that felt off lol

I ended up playing solo today as Cherry and got up to level 33 abusing her blitz attack with some very key blitz upgrades so i feel satisfied.

The kid's holding you back, so they've gotta go.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there any easy way to transfer my unlocks/progress from PC to Switch?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

We got to level 24 :toot:

I think the key is dodging buddy powerups. He always wants to pick them but they die too fast on later levels to be useful.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jerkface posted:

We got to level 24 :toot:

I think the key is dodging buddy powerups. He always wants to pick them but they die too fast on later levels to be useful.

Buddy powerups stack though, so if you can get several of them, the resulting Barbon or Commissioner can take quite a beating before going down. And they make for a nice decoy since any enemies that are attacking the buddy aren't attacking you.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Erpy posted:

Buddy powerups stack though, so if you can get several of them, the resulting Barbon or Commissioner can take quite a beating before going down. And they make for a nice decoy since any enemies that are attacking the buddy aren't attacking you.

Generally agree, but conversely they can majorly gently caress up combos by hitting enemies you're engaging, trigger attacks from Judo guys etc. that either directly smash you or smash your buddy into you as they go flying through the air, or deny you i-frames when you're attempting to do something like use a throw on one enemy to avoid another enemy's attack by messing up your grab.

I find that the more technique/combo-focussed the character you're using is, the more likely it is that a buddy will gently caress things up for you. They're generally a net positive, but they can introduce a lot more chaos.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
We upgraded a buddy to tier 4 and got a Ms whatever and she instantly lunged off the edge of the level. Later levels have so many hazards it didn't seem worth it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Having a decent buddy (bot I mean, not a real one :smith:) was key to me breaking my level record but I can see how it could end up being a problem later on, especially since by the time it gets good that's at least a few power-ups you could have applied to yourself.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Shine posted:

Update but we got to level 35 as our highest now :toot: We're pretty consistent at getting into the 20s now. I run whatever I'm trying to level up and he plays Shiva + our newly unlocked Dr Zan. The upgraded star move for Shiva is clutch.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the definitive way to play SOR2 these days, specifically on a steam deck? My understanding is the steam Sega Genesis app has bad lag (either audio or input, I don’t recall which)?

Just emulation? Or is there some other option (SORR or similar)?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you can get SORR to work on the Deck, it's probably the best SoR game behind SoR4. Otherwise emulation. I've played the Steam version of SoR2 and was good enough? I don't know if it has lag or other issues on the Steam Deck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'll probably do the steam version then because I just looked and I didnt realize I already owned, it and if the lag isnt bad, then seems fine to me

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so I haven't played since it came out

I just bought the DLC and played some but are the DLC mostly procedurally generated? Even the weekly ones go through the same levels albeit "new" for the DLC right

also how tf do you dodge the dropping walls trap in the Aztec level (the one with the pool in the bg and banners, not the wall with the murals)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

If it's the one that crosses the whole screen, I think your best hope is to do an aerial special after it lands on a spot.

Though on the topic of DLC stuff, I decided to buy again on Steam, and it feels different on Mania+. Were the extra arcade cabinets for minibosses always there, and I just haven't played it in so long? I can't remember them being there in the GOG release

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What is the definitive way to play SOR2 these days, specifically on a steam deck?

Bingo! NE is a 100% accurate reverse-engineered port of the game to PC. Comes with a whole bunch of cool new poo poo and possibilities for user mods -- characters, stages, enemies, you name it! -- are Coming Soon™!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Aces High posted:

If it's the one that crosses the whole screen, I think your best hope is to do an aerial special after it lands on a spot.

Though on the topic of DLC stuff, I decided to buy again on Steam, and it feels different on Mania+. Were the extra arcade cabinets for minibosses always there, and I just haven't played it in so long? I can't remember them being there in the GOG release

No, they weren't there back when the DLC first came out. The cursed arcade machines (and the buff in Mania+ difficulty) were patched in later.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Bingo! NE is a 100% accurate reverse-engineered port of the game to PC. Comes with a whole bunch of cool new poo poo and possibilities for user mods -- characters, stages, enemies, you name it! -- are Coming Soon™!

Oh I had no idea it got reverse engineered!! That’s awesome and I’ll for sure check this out.

Right now as long as the base game works I’m good

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Oh I had no idea it got reverse engineered!! That’s awesome and I’ll for sure check this out.

I just installed it, which took about one minute, and it goddamn rules.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Shine posted:

I just installed it, which took about one minute, and it goddamn rules.

:buddy:

Yeah it even goes so far as to have a 'Classic' mode which retains the bugs & occasional hit-detection bullshit along with slowdown/input eating (the last two only being noticeable if you're a speedrunner/a speedrunner points it out to you).

The Anniversary mode with 4P online is just pure :discourse:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Erpy posted:

No, they weren't there back when the DLC first came out. The cursed arcade machines (and the buff in Mania+ difficulty) were patched in later.

Oh, so that's why Mania+ feels more difficult than the last time I tried it :shepicide:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:buddy:

Yeah it even goes so far as to have a 'Classic' mode which retains the bugs & occasional hit-detection bullshit..

It's not sor 2 unless I can one-shot Barbon with chip damage from Max's shoulder charge.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Breetai posted:

It's not sor 2 unless I can one-shot Barbon with chip damage from Max's shoulder charge.

Zamza too :ssh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tried SOR2 New Era on the Steam Deck last night and its really good. It took a minute to configure the deck controls to be a controller and not a keyboard, but other than that it runs and plays fantastic!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Tried SOR2 New Era on the Steam Deck last night and its really good. It took a minute to configure the deck controls to be a controller and not a keyboard, but other than that it runs and plays fantastic!

So I didn’t even know New Era was a thing until this thread, and now I want it - also for my Steam Deck.

Any tips on the installation? Is it easy to get up and running on Deck and did you follow any instructions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its literally just downloading and extracting the ZIP file, running the executable (or adding it to Steam as a custom game, for simplicities sake), and pointing the executable towards an SOR2 ROM

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Superb - sounds very similar to the Thief TFix mod which I’ve installed recently too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is anyone still playing Survival? I feel like I'm late to the party and wanted a partner to tell me to get gud

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've only really played with my brother on and off, and solo. I'd be down to play with someone, I have it on PC and switch, maybe ps4 as well not sure.

I kinda don't feel like playing until I can get the new Xbox controller with that 8 way d pad. (Shortly after May/June?)

My old elite 2 controller I had to keep warranty returning, but drat if it wasn't nice for a game like SOR or Tekken.

If anyone knows of a similar pad or if I should just get an arcade stick or something let me know, but I don't like using analog sticks for games like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've only really played with my brother on and off, and solo. I'd be down to play with someone, I have it on PC and switch, maybe ps4 as well not sure.

I kinda don't feel like playing until I can get the new Xbox controller with that 8 way d pad. (Shortly after May/June?)

My old elite 2 controller I had to keep warranty returning, but drat if it wasn't nice for a game like SOR or Tekken.

If anyone knows of a similar pad or if I should just get an arcade stick or something let me know, but I don't like using analog sticks for games like this.

I just use a ps4 controller d-pad. I’m not an expert but I’ve S ranked a bunch of mania+ so I don’t think it’s stifling my gameplay.