Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

rear end-penny posted:

My roommates both have Steam, neither of them play SoR tho. It seems like it would be real weird to play on a computer too? I guess a third party controller or something... but my computer isn't great for games anyway. I was thinking about buying it on my roommate's Xbox 1.

e: Oh actually it's on game pass so I don't even need to pay presently. Downloading it currently, my roommate and I should be able to get a little game in before I have to work.

Oh and thanks for the offer to join in on a game, I may take you up on that sometime, unless the remote thing works cross platform. My understanding of tech stuff is dubious at best tho.

It'll control fine with a keyboard. Jump, punch, special are 90% of what you'll use and you can just map them as if you're emulating a Sega Genesis with a keyboard. Anyway, the Xbox controller line is the de facto official PC gaming controller nowadays (though PS4 and Switch also work!) so playing on a PC versus a TV is basically the same thing nowadays.

Steam Remote Play requires both people have Steam, but only one person needs to own the game. The owner basically just streams the game to you and then you can play as if you're both sitting at the same computer. I invite random online friends to play SOR4 without warning, for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I’m playing through on Mania at the moment and feel like I have a playbook for every enemy except Gourmand (the fat belly-flopper in brown overalls). I just can’t figure out a reliable counter for him - he seems to be able to travel further/faster on the Y axis than I can and it’s really frustrating. Is it just because I’m playing Axel? Do I finally need to give up my comfort blanket and play someone else?

protomexican
May 1, 2009
SoR2 had Axel's GRANDMAPAW!
SoR4 has Adam's POWER DAD!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just played online with some rando. It was a lot of fun, I'm still pretty poo poo and have gotten worse since I stopped playing to focus on FF7 but thankfully we were on easy so I didn't embarrass myself completely. Check my post history if you have the Switch version and add me, it's fun to play with people online, and it's very pick up and play friendly. Like I said I'm usually in another game these days but I'll take any invitation to change it up.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

I'm having a good time playing this game. The art characters all look great and I love the attention to lighting. Managed to clear all 12 stages in 3 player with my roommates, that last boss battle was brutal. Having a hard time scoring above a c unless I go in easy mode. Some of these enemies can be pretty frustrating. It is interesting how enemies I found difficult in multiplayer changed when I went to single player. It's also super funny you can play the characters as the pixilated older versions of themselves.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I personally love how the new characters look when you fight in the arcade machines.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I personally love how the new characters look when you fight in the arcade machines.

You can enable this in the options too just in case you didn’t know.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Social Animal posted:

You can enable this in the options too just in case you didn’t know.

I didn't! They really thought of everything.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Finally beat it on normal with no assists with Blaze. I’m going to go through with Adam next and eventually everyone. It’s immensely replayable.

Blaze is great because her grabs and throws really wreck and by the end I was able to prolong some combos using her blitz that knocks people up off the ground.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I just found out that during the boss fight with Barbon, the adds won't join the fight if the motorcycles don't get broken. I always went for the items, but no biker gals makes it alot easier.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Delgado posted:

I just found out that during the boss fight with Barbon, the adds won't join the fight if the motorcycles don't get broken. I always went for the items, but no biker gals makes it alot easier.

Oh jesus I didn't realize this either.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Y-axis defense tip is really great. It's making my normal playthrough with Adam go pretty smoothly. I haven't had to restart a level yet, and while I'm still only ranking C or B at most he's fun to play. I can't keep combos up as long with him as I could with Blaze, both his blitz and specials really knock enemies far away and I can't figure out how to make them link into his regular combo as well, also are throws weaker than Blaze's? I get the impression they are. It's been a strange transition, but the difficulty's low enough where I can make it work.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The Y-axis defense tip is really great. It's making my normal playthrough with Adam go pretty smoothly. I haven't had to restart a level yet, and while I'm still only ranking C or B at most he's fun to play. I can't keep combos up as long with him as I could with Blaze, both his blitz and specials really knock enemies far away and I can't figure out how to make them link into his regular combo as well, also are throws weaker than Blaze's? I get the impression they are. It's been a strange transition, but the difficulty's low enough where I can make it work.

Adam is good for getting rebounds. He's got a sweet spot away from the wall where his attacks will knock enemies into the wall and they'll bounce back towards him for follow-ups. You can do his Blitz and then get them on the rebound by jumping straight up and doing his splits kick, for example.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

Adam is good for getting rebounds. He's got a sweet spot away from the wall where his attacks will knock enemies into the wall and they'll bounce back towards him for follow-ups. You can do his Blitz and then get them on the rebound by jumping straight up and doing his splits kick, for example.

Yeah I felt like there was something like that since I managed to get that to work on a couple of occasion. It's such a well-designed game that lets you intuitively figure things out. It took me 8 stages to really figure out what to do with Blaze and I figure it'd take me just about as long with each character.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just finished my first game on Hard using a combination of Floyd and Axel, and harder difficulty levels really do force you to get better. Even outside of enemy numbers and health, not having as many lives really reduces the margin of error. Going to try Hardest next.

Does anybody have recommendations for good basic bread and butter combos for any character? Not infinites (or even requiring special usage), but basic stuff for use against regular mooks.

Best I've worked out for Axel is P, P, P, grab F+P, F+P, F+P (launch) then juggle with P, P, Grand Upper.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Anyone know what's in the patch that dropped today? Can't see anything on the official feeds about it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Thanks to the goon I just played through the game with as Axel, you were killer with Blaze. First time trying him out, so sorry about dying. Axel's pretty good. I need to figure out his Air Special which is fantastic and I need to stop inputting his Forward special which is rear end. I like how they aged him in this one, because he's an otherwise uninspired design.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks to the goon I just played through the game with as Axel, you were killer with Blaze. First time trying him out, so sorry about dying. Axel's pretty good. I need to figure out his Air Special which is fantastic and I need to stop inputting his Forward special which is rear end. I like how they aged him in this one, because he's an otherwise uninspired design.

Is there a list of PSN Streets of Rage goons?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lobok posted:

I'd love to know this too!

My psn name is the same as my SA one, let's bust some heads, friends!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

No clue. I offered my Switch code in thread but that's all I got unfortunately.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My PSN is LobokVonZuben (do we have to worry about bots trawling through for usernames the way we do with emails?)
Maybe we could get the OP to put a list in the... uh, OP?

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Slowly getting better at using the defense special and y axis defense tactics. I really appreciate the Diamond/Ruby/whichever character slapping the poo poo out of that cop in the background of the stage 4 boss fight.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Lobok posted:

My PSN is LobokVonZuben (do we have to worry about bots trawling through for usernames the way we do with emails?)

It's not an unreasonable concern. I have gotten a weirdly high number of random messages from spambots on PSN/XBL.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
I'm trying a run on Hardest mode after clearing Hard and Normal story modes a few times and man the game really takes off the kid gloves. Made it to Stage 10 so far and it's now just relentlessly kicking my rear end, the dual Goro room is my sticking point so far. It's pretty hard to separate them off the same "line" I find.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'm stuck on Skytrain hardest at the moment with Floyd. I usually don't like slow characters but throwing fools off the elevators is extremely effective (and satisfying). Hard was no problem, no retrys. I watched a streamer beat arcade on Mania and that looks miserable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Starting my first run with Floyd. He's so slow, but I guess the trick is to get a lot of mileage out of walking while holding, and grabbing with his special?

I checked out the extras. It's really impressive the care they took to retain the style and look of the original games with their character designs. I hope the unused hero designs do get released though. The Roller Derby Girl looks cool and would be a better take on Skate than Skate would, because frankly if everyone is older, I don't think Skate would be the cool roller-blading teen from the 90's. The Bruce Lee looking guy was probably their Shiva before they made Shiva, with the hope still that there's a DLC eventually. The fact that he has a hero page and named moves is telling, even if it lists all the heroes from the previous game (WHERE'S ROO!)

This game needs DLC, be it just characters, or actual stages and a new campaign, who cares. I'd buy the sequel in a heartbeat.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm stuck on Skytrain hardest at the moment with Floyd. I usually don't like slow characters but throwing fools off the elevators is extremely effective (and satisfying). Hard was no problem, no retrys. I watched a streamer beat arcade on Mania and that looks miserable.

Two commissioners in the Estel fight is no loving joke. Only way I managed to beat it was a lot of throw related i-frame abuse.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
This thread made me give Double Dragon Neon another chance. I ditched it after 10 minutes first time around as I found it really slow and clunky.

While nowhere near the same league as SoR4, it was really good fun once I’d grinded a bit more power into my character.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

BurningCourage posted:

I'm trying a run on Hardest mode after clearing Hard and Normal story modes a few times and man the game really takes off the kid gloves. Made it to Stage 10 so far and it's now just relentlessly kicking my rear end, the dual Goro room is my sticking point so far. It's pretty hard to separate them off the same "line" I find.
My tactic on Mania with Dual Goros/Red Goros is to separate them from each other with a strong attack (they are free to strong hits as long as they aren’t doing the high/low arm parry stance) then land a couple of throw loops on one before they can realign. Very time-consuming, but it’s a reliable tactic.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Loving this game so far. Only thing is I wish they included the old games and everything (didn’t even need to update the graphics), so I could get a real nostalgic kick out of blowing 2 continues on the level 7 elevator in SOR 2. I think level 7 and then the boss rush in level 8, elevator there, then Shiva and Mr. X is peak Beat em up design.

But, Mr Y. hosed me up hard when I was playing with Axel but then I switched to my boy Adam with his ridiculous dash and movement and wrecked him.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Axel is so slow. I played the SoR3 Axel last week and just having a run makes him so much more to play.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Everyone but Cherry is slow. At least Adam had that slide move, and I get Floyd being super slow, but seriously Blaze needs a run or dash move, maybe Axel too. Walking through a clear street is so weird.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Blaze's blitz(forward, forward attack) moves her quicker than walking I believe.

Blaze, Axel, and Floyd's jump specials are DEFINITELY faster than walking. High risk movement!

Honestly, at this point I dig the walking speed and feel it's definitely a deliberate and well thought out design choice, but that's me.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
You can get across the screen in a hurry with Axel's air special.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Artelier posted:

Blaze's blitz(forward, forward attack) moves her quicker than walking I believe.

Blaze, Axel, and Floyd's jump specials are DEFINITELY faster than walking. High risk movement!

Honestly, at this point I dig the walking speed and feel it's definitely a deliberate and well thought out design choice, but that's me.

Certainly deliberate. The whole game feels incredibly well thought out. It’s why I’m hoping for DLC but not sure if it’ll happen because they’d worry about balance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Shine posted:

You can get across the screen in a hurry with Axel's air special.

Blaze and Axel make up for having lesser mobility with really OP air specials. Blaze in particular turns the Chapter 10/11 bosses into a complete joke as she can flying dragon kick across the room faster than they can wind up their projectiles.

Also any self-purported SoR fan ITT who has not already donated to ONLY TRUST YOUR FISTS should get on that immediately!!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I’ve been replaying Stage 2 of this game a lot recently

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cat Machine posted:

Great music, good stage flow, you get to beat up one of the most violent gangs in the game right in their home turf, A+ stage.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

Same, it's incredibly therapeutic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

It was a really good call to include it in the game. The series always went on about the corruptibility of the police. It's great you get to confront it this time.