Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

exquisite tea posted:

Has anyone had success transferring a Gamepass SoR4 save file to Steam? I'd like to go to where there's a larger playerbase for co-op games, but I'd also like to keep my progress and unlocks. Microsoft likes to keep their save files in quadruple nested folders though so I'm not sure where to find it.

Regular SoR4 dumps its save files in C:\Users\xXVegeta420Xx\Documents\Streets of Rage 4 Save and Config . I don't know about the Gamepass one but I've seen other Gamepass games just use their regular save locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

S-Ranked Y Tower and Y Island today for 12/12. :negative:

I expected Y Tower to be the hardest, and while it certainly took me many retries, I would say Y Island is probably the most frustrating stage to S-Rank on Mania. The castle section is just a total RNG clusterfuck with those Zs with zero blockstun who can just delete half your lifebar, and the score requirement is incredibly steep -- I ended up clearing it by like 175 points after a whole morning of near-misses. Y Tower while being annoying for a whole bunch of other reasons is much less demanding. On my S-Rank run I screwed up a few times on the first floor and still pulled it out with a good elevator sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEQ7wfmoh4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upqsfNj4jXg

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 4, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Playing this on easy once a week with my wife and another couple (we remote local play on steam and they join). We're on level 5 or so. The two gamers are finishing the levels with 5 lives left generally and the two non-gamers are on like, 1 or 2 lives. I hope it doesn't get a ton harder, that would mean two of us finishing the levels while the other two watch.

Anyway, are there any tips or move lists or control scheme explanations? I watched the video exquisite tea posted and I noticed some moves drain the life bar (I saw that before) but normal hits after that un-drain the bar? I need to get better at this and learn more of the system.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Here's a rough and dirty primer:

Attack Button gives you access to the basic Attack combo (press button multiple times), jump Attack, jump down+Attack, back+Attack.

Special Button gives you access to special moves. Normally Defensive Special (press button on its own, this attack is normally invincible), forward+Special (normally offensive), and jump Special (normally also doubles as a way to move around quickly). Some characters might have more options, like Floyd has a throw Special.
All Specials drain your health a bit, indicated by the green segment on a character's life bar. The green life can be recovered by dealing Attack damage to enemies; using Specials does not regain your health. If there is no more health to be filled, a sound effect will play. If you are hit before you replenishing fully, you will lose all of the remaining green health plus the damage the attack normally does, and a different sound effect plays to indicate you lost all this health.

Note that some enemies later on will deal poison damage that drain your health, green on the life bar. This health can be recovered also.

Star Moves consume a Star, done by pressing Special + Use at the same time. These are big moves best used in tough situations, like when you are swarmed. They are replenished at the start of a stage. Most of the time, it's best to use this when things go out of hand instead of saving it for the best encounter or the boss.

Throws can be initiated by walking up to an enemy. From there you can press Attack, forward+attack, or back+attack to do different moves. You can also press jump to, depending on the character, flip to the other side of the enemy or jump while holding the enemy.

That said, the game is designed so that you have to deal with the enemies' attacks. Generally, there are a few tells on when the enemy is going to attack:
If the enemy flashes red, they are going to throw you. Jump in the air (or be in any non-throwable state) to avoid this.
If the enemy flashes white, that means they will tank your current move and will do a big move of their own. Get out of the way.
Some enemies "stop animating" before they attack, like they don't even have the idle feet shuffle from just standing there. Most obvious on Donovans and their palette swaps.
Many enemies have a pre-attack animation. Obvious to see on Big Ben.
And some enemies will immediately attack if you do the wrong thing. The martial arts guys for instance will instantly counter you.

If you think you're going to be hit anyway, might as well press Special to get everyone off you. Sure you got your health drained, but you might recover it all back, and if you didn't Special you were going to get hit anyway. Be proactive!

That said, non-gamers might take a while to be accustomed to difficulty parsing information fast enough to know what's going on, or even if they, they might not have the muscle memory to pull it off! I recommend if it's too much for them later on, just use the Assist Mode features, which I believe can be gotten immediately when you restart the level.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I like to remap Star moves to R1 exclusively because it's too easy to accidentally trigger them in the heat of battle with standard button presses.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Just picked this up on PC and am looking to buy a controller to play this with. Any recommendations?

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'm posting this again because anyone that grew up with streets of rage should enjoy this media.

Jackie Chan dubbed with 'Streets of Rage 2' game sounds! | RetroSFX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnRDPt4j5pw

I've watched it like 6 times since my brother brought it to my attention.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Splinter posted:

Just picked this up on PC and am looking to buy a controller to play this with. Any recommendations?

Xbox One is basically the official PC gaming controller (or 360, but the Xbone has a much nicer D-pad than the 360), but you can make PS4 and Switch Pro work, too. Get whatever.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I use an 8Bitdo SN30 Pro+ and various 360 pads still. Haven't upgraded to the Xboner pad yet, and saw a few complaints that the Xboner Elite has grinding issues for some.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I love using my SNES controller on my Switch so maybe something like that? Game plays really well with a large d-pad.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Splinter posted:

8bitdo Gbros wireless adapter is on sale on Amazon right now.

It lets you use Wii classic controllers or GameCube controllers on the switch. I believe it works for PC as well.

I use the SNES classic controller for this and Mario maker 2. It's perfect.

They also make a USB wireless adapter that lets you use basically any console controller on switch, PC or a few others.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jul 11, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dusted off my 3DS for the first time in a couple years (since I got a Switch basically) and I am here to tell you that the 3DS version of SOR2 is still the definitive one. The extra modes, the QOL stuff, the 3D, it’s all so good.

It runs and plays fantastic and the 3D adds literal depth (no pun intended) to a game we’ve all seen a million times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I dusted off my 3DS for the first time in a couple years (since I got a Switch basically) and I am here to tell you that the 3DS version of SOR2 is still the definitive one. The extra modes, the QOL stuff, the 3D, it’s all so good.

It runs and plays fantastic and the 3D adds literal depth (no pun intended) to a game we’ve all seen a million times.

I never really cared much for the 3D on the 3DS, but it's really spectacular on SoR1 and SoR2. I wish they had done the third because Bare Knuckle 3 is probably the best SoR before 4.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You all gotta find Streets of Rage Remake on the internet, which is imho the definitive SoR experience before 4.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

You all gotta find Streets of Rage Remake on the internet, which is imho the definitive SoR experience before 4.

I still remember the day it came out which is weird. This was my go to game for SoR before 4 came out.

Wish I could see the 3D effects on those ports though.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is it just me, or is SOR3 Axel an absolute loving beast?

The Grand Upper seems to be able to cancel out of anything, the offensive special has very little health penalty (a single jab+GU is generally enough to get all of the health loss back) and is completely invincible for its duration (and as far as I can see is the best way of killing guys with shields), his normal hits HURT, and he's capable of about a 12-hit combo with just p+p+p+p, pause, p+p+p+p+GU. His throw bounce is a bit poo poo and can't really be used for setting up combos, but the GU tends to bounce people sufficiently high for that anyway.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
All of the Streets of Rage soundtracks are on Spotify in the US if that is your sort of thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I knew 4 was but I didn’t know the others were. Hell yeah

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

All of the Streets of Rage soundtracks are on Spotify in the US if that is your sort of thing.

gently caress yes

https://open.spotify.com/track/4Uwt9nHodKjQNhSmbiWZ1z?si=b3zZGnhkTBWUkSTi71erGg

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Did they ever give axel a patch? I saw a video of a test build or something itt that sounded cool.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After 1 hour and 42 minutes I managed to get the 100 Yen achievement (finish Arcade mode on Hard) with Adam. If anyone hasn't played Arcade mode I'd definitely recommend it; it becomes all about long-term strategy in order to carefully preserve health and maximise lives. You start off with a couple more lives that you normally do on the respective difficulty level you're playing, but you don't automatically get additional lives at the beginning of each level and only get a new life every 30,000 points.

Highlights were losing 2(!) lives on the Galsia room in Chinatown, going from 80% health to losing a life in one juggle in The Concert in the section with the bikers and the punks throwing grenades, and losing a life to the last environmental hazard prior to the boss on the train, and then beating the boss without taking damage. There's a bunch of stuff in certain parts of the game that you'd normally be able to absorb due to getting your lives reset on the next level, but which can really hurt your run on Arcade, but if you play carefully enough you should be okay.

Also remember that your stars DO reset each level, so spam them at the boss as much as possible.

Realizing that when DJ K-Washi stands up and charges his shield directly after being knocked down he still takes health damage until the shield is full was a big help. You can actually kill him in 3-4 shield breaks.

Tangentially, I REALLY like the room just before the boss fights on Y Island with the fat guys and the spiked wrecking ball. Half the time I barely even need to do anything because they just get the ball swinging and beat each other to death by rolling into each other. It was cathartic.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

Did they ever give axel a patch? I saw a video of a test build or something itt that sounded cool.

they've been working on that for quite a bit, but no news on when it will drop

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i finally picked this up the other day and it's a whole lot of fun. the soundtrack is exactly what I'd expect modern SoR to sound like

really wish they'd given Blaze some black tights or something, though. would have looked great with the rest of her outfit, and wouldn't have the cringe of her flashing her undies with every combo

Estel is a super cool design tho :swoon: let me play as the buff lady

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 15, 2020

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I finally got a Perfect stage, man that was probably the hardest thing to do, it is so easy to get cheapshotted by a Galsia even on lower difficulties

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Aces High posted:

I finally got a Perfect stage, man that was probably the hardest thing to do, it is so easy to get cheapshotted by a Galsia even on lower difficulties

Easiest way to do this for anyone attempting is to do stage 1 as Floyd on Easy and just constantly spam his stomp attacks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I agree that Stage 1 is the easiest stage to get a Perfect on. You might think it's Stage 2 or Stage 7 for generally being easier + shorter overall, but the Commissioner is so freaking cheap in both of them.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Given this might as well be the de-facto beat 'em ups thread...

Has anyone tried the new Battletoads? Is it any good, at all, even just a little? :ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Has anyone tried the new Battletoads? Is it any good, at all, even just a little? :ohdear:

No.

It's barely even a beat 'em up. There's like 4 'beat 'em up stages' which are all in the first part of the game and then everything else is either a boss fight or a lovely minigame.

There was potential there but it felt like what they took away from "The original Battletoads had lots of different gameplay styles" was "People want boring-rear end minigames and badly designed space shooters."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 24, 2020

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mode 7 posted:

Battletoads is...okay. One of the better ideas it has is that in single player you can tag between all 3 of the toads. If you die as one, they are simply unavailable for 20-30 seconds, and if all are out of commission it is game over. The big problem for me is that stages tend to last way too long for what they are.

The story is kind of funny though, if on the edge of being incredibly mean. If you are interested, play though the first couple of levels at least, its on the Xbox Gamepass. If not and you are still curious (Spoilers for the first couple of levels), The Battletoads have spent the last 25 years in a simulation bunker where they are superstar superheroes. Once they are freed, they are all has beens working dead end jobs living in a crappy apartment. Rash grows delirious and wants to track down the Dark Queen again to relive their glory days, with Pimple and Zitz only tagging along out of concern.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
I put an hour or two of dying into Battletoads on release night. Barely got anywhere.

Once you get a feel for it the controls are fine (gently caress the slippery hover bike controls though), and the story is up my alley for dumb humor. The difficulty on normal is plenty forgiving when a toad dies, and at least early on it never totally swamped the screen with enemies. But everything has too much goddamn health and I thought the launcher attack felt like poo poo.

It's not bad and visually looks really cool, but :shrug:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I beat arcade hard with Floyd :)

I tried to beat it with axel, got to stage 12 and died twice because everything has super armour and it's a lolly scramble due to all your poo poo leaving you wide open. I also had two guys stand up in the middle of my air special and punch me???? That was the end of the game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JBP posted:

I beat arcade hard with Floyd :)

I tried to beat it with axel, got to stage 12 and died twice because everything has super armour and it's a lolly scramble due to all your poo poo leaving you wide open. I also had two guys stand up in the middle of my air special and punch me???? That was the end of the game.

The bald black dudes, right? The last levels basically have an elite variant of them that do an armoured uppercut on wakeup if you're anywhere near them.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the first floor of the castle section is a goddamn nightmare on the higher difficulties, it is honestly a cakewalk once you get to the second floor (and the Y twins are piss easy in comparison)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aces High posted:

the first floor of the castle section is a goddamn nightmare on the higher difficulties, it is honestly a cakewalk once you get to the second floor (and the Y twins are piss easy in comparison)

Yeah the y twins are a victory lap. Beat hard arcade with Axel. Harder than with Floyd and took 20 minutes longer but I just can't get enough of his cool animations. I also went back and finished 11 and 12 mania finally (also Axel).

I've been playing a lot of Axel over the last two days and he is a little weaker but if you position correctly he's great. I like that his specials aren't really an on call gently caress you button but rather I've got a half screen of guys finally all lined up and its time to finally unleash the gently caress you ALL button.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1298685894237593600

i think they're gonna do it. i think they're gonna let us play as the buff lady

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Let me play as hands in pocket guy and cheap shot/oneshot my way through the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1298685894237593600

i think they're gonna do it. i think they're gonna let us play as the buff lady

You can't put Estel in the background like that and NOT add her to the game!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Like yeah, I want Estel, but before her I want Roo. Unlike Skate, the boy's already got artwork in the game. Twice!

Either way I played through it on arcade mode the other day just on easy because whatever and I got bodied hard as Cherry. I need to get back into the groove.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of the dotemu guys on Twitter recently said they're almost ready to put something out, though I'm certain it's the fabled "Axel Patch" and not DLC, which would come later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am not super thrilled to be playing as a police officer in 2020 TBH. Give us Roo instead.