Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was just on Normal and using Blaze/Axel just trying to flip between them. Problem with Biker Boss is that he'd do his tell that he was going to triple kick and I'd try to get away only for him to chase me full screen on the second kick, then create distance on the third one. I would try to approach him and he'd skitter away at mach 10 and instantly go into the triple attack again. I could never reach him because Blaze didn't want to move faster than 'comically slow' so my only option of actually getting him was to let him kick my teeth in but make it so he'd triple kick into a wall, hope I could recover in time and hit him before he zips away.

I put the game down after that because I just got so mad at that :smith:

Does sound like I should patch it ASAP though.

As for movement don't be afraid to use the jump special to cover large amounts of ground safely and quickly. Yeah it'll eat a bit of your health but it may also hurt the enemy and/or set-up you better for the next attack. This is particularly true for Blaze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Barbon tip that's not obvious and I don't think I saw it posted in the past page: Motorbike ladies only appear if their motorbikes get destroyed.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

god drat New Axel feels great

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cat Machine posted:

god drat New Axel feels great

Hell yeah brother. How are those wall bounce combos lol.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Surprisingly useful aspect of the Grand Upper now hitting grounded enemies is that you can use it on groups of enemies that have been knocked down in succession (but not simultaneously) in order to make them all get up at the same time. It's a bit situational, but it helps to avoid situations where you're pressuring a group of downed opponents, start to hit the first one standing, and then someone else gets up between your strikes and hits you. It's definitely quite useful on Hardest+.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Breetai posted:

Surprisingly useful aspect of the Grand Upper now hitting grounded enemies is that you can use it on groups of enemies that have been knocked down in succession (but not simultaneously) in order to make them all get up at the same time. It's a bit situational, but it helps to avoid situations where you're pressuring a group of downed opponents, start to hit the first one standing, and then someone else gets up between your strikes and hits you. It's definitely quite useful on Hardest+.

A bit of boxing for position, heavy kick, air special then a grand upper when they're flying or hit the ground really piles on the pain and clears your space. Axel is really good now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Breetai posted:

it really is loving huge that you can continue a combo in the corner with Grand Upper + neutral specials. Glad they took a page out of the Tekken book and thought "it sucks waiting for people to get up before you can attack again. gently caress that, let's bend the beat em up rules"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Axel patch is loving dope.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Room full of fat guys on Y Island is NO JOKE on Hardest. There's at least a dozen of them, and they can wreck your poo poo now that the spike ball isn't there.

Ms Y is a bit of a challenge, too, I might need to reevaluate who to boot into the crab first.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Died on the new Fat Guy Gauntlet as Axel on Hardest Arcade. New patch sux.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Is it me, or is the Y Tower boss way harder than he used to be? His second stage on Mania was brutal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Frabba posted:

Is it me, or is the Y Tower boss way harder than he used to be? His second stage on Mania was brutal.

they buffed all the Y encounters, yeah.

the feedback on the patch is genuinely funny to me. A lot of people on twitter and youtube now think the game is "baby poo poo" while others think enemies got faster + the removal of some infinites made the game harder. Worse are the people who won't stop crying about giving everyone a loving dash for some reason, which would completely change the other 4 characters' mechanics radically.

While I def feel the game got a tad easier with some changes to some of the more annoying enemies (motorbike chicks having less hitbox reach and a bit less HP, damage scaling turned down when you're getting comboed, GALSIA) I don't feel like it's less enjoyable or braindead; a lot of the enemy changes just altered some of the bullshit things that would cheese you. Hardest/Mania are still challenging to everyone who isn't one of the prodigies on youtube doing 500 hit combos with EVO-level precision.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I think they took away (or significantly lowered) the time to break his hold in phase 2, Max seemed to instantly suplex me the first time going through. Though this was on Hardest so maybe it's different on lower difficulties?

More testing is required :science:

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Aces High posted:

I think they took away (or significantly lowered) the time to break his hold in phase 2, Max seemed to instantly suplex me the first time going through. Though this was on Hardest so maybe it's different on lower difficulties?

More testing is required :science:

Yeah, that's what got me. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to avoid the suplex there now.

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Frabba posted:

Yeah, that's what got me. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to avoid the suplex there now.

If you defensive special during his red charge-up he picks a different move.

I do like the changes they made to Riha/Beyo. Sitting around and waiting for the fire puddle to timeout, only for her to poop out another fire puddle, was very irritating.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Frabba posted:

IIRC, he usually does the supplex after flexing in place for a moment after which he'll walk up to you and grab you. But if you let him come to you after his flex and neural jump and attack, he won't grab you when you land.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the game is about the same difficulty-wise but they made the regular enemies a lot more "fair." Less cheapshotting through armor, less insane vertical hitboxes on stuff like the divekick ladies and gourmands.

Loaded up the game and beat my old Stage 1 high score by a lot. One small thing I noticed is that the first Donovan on the second screen pops up a lot faster now, making it much easier to link an OOTW combo. I would have had another too if that stupid G. Signal didn't juke my knife throw at the last possible second. So annoying! Anyways, Blaze is still the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzK92zFXvzM

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
SoR 4 is the first new sidescrolling beat 'em up I've played in at least twenty years, and getting back on the horse has been fun. Pre-patch I'd managed to squeak out an S on Hard mode with Axel for all but four levels, but New Axel feels a lot less like work. Still hammering on Y Tower and Y Island for the S.

Post-patch is definitely better, though I also miss Fat Guy Pachinko in the last level. Ms. Y went from a mid-game miniboss tier to something a lot meaner, and the final boss encounter feels a lot more measured. Pointers on dealing with Max in Y Tower would be appreciated; my old tactic of hammering him with non-special combos between his moves and then trying to give him a berth is working less well than it used to. But at least he's not juggling me with charging attacks any more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Just got through Arcade Mania for the first time since the last patch. Holy hell, the fatty room is ridiculous now. Finished with a rather pathetic but proud B rank.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Just got through Arcade Mania for the first time since the last patch. Holy hell, the fatty room is ridiculous now. Finished with a rather pathetic but proud B rank.

I was cruising through hardest arcade last night and lost to the last boss because the fat guys ate two of my lives lol. I burned a heap of special due to being angry and wanting to end the fight and then three more came out and instantly killed me lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is there an approximate number of screens it takes to get an OOTW combo? I doubt I'm ever getting the plat for this game but I figure I'll try for a few more trophies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's all based on damage dealt. 1000 damage = 1 OOTW combo, capping out at something around 3000 where your combo meter will continue ticking up but your bonus score won't. Easiest place to get one is on Police Precinct, two chances on the first two screens on Mania.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I linked Chinatown from screen one to the kitchen yesterday on hardest arcade and felt like a legend of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It’s possible albeit very tricky depending on character to link the first two screens of Police Precinct to the arcade cabinet and The Streets all the way from the start down to the miniboss section. Those are the longest I know of besides Chinatown, but that can be very RNG dependent on what the fat guys do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Speaking of, I just pulled off a full link through the first two screens of Stage 2. 2562 damage baybeeeee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU5husZ0cs

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

god drat that video, I don't think I've ever broken 30k before reaching a boss, let alone before even the midway point of a level

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's so appropriate and satisfying when the yellow cops can't stop beating up the black guy Donovan long enough to deal with the woman just destroying them. I love this game so much. ACAB

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

exquisite tea posted:

Speaking of, I just pulled off a full link through the first two screens of Stage 2. 2562 damage baybeeeee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwU5husZ0cs

LOL at that lone uppercut at the beginning and then you proceed to style on them

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finally managed to break a high score of 50k on Stage 1. I'll get that perfect some day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DVXwk-eLs

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

Finally managed to break a high score of 50k on Stage 1. I'll get that perfect some day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DVXwk-eLs

What's your worldwide ranking bud? I am cracking top 50s now! I feel like Steve Kerr!

Dea being MJ (who apparently cheats).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All my best Mania clears are only good for something like #90-100 worldwide on PC, although the leaderboards are all taken by cheaters with impossible scores.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sor4: legendary dark knight mode

https://twitter.com/Guard_Crush/status/1311691277851860992?s=20

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

mummy

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

*presses the Special button once*
Out of This World combo!!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I guess it's time to make a beat 'em up Battle Royale.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Give them Naginatas. :unsmigghh:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Time to start pulling out the Musou Attacks.

Actually, there have been a few Three Kingdoms walk-along beat em ups.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Bloody Palace mode in SOR4 would own.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Let me play this and put them all on maximum aggression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They can’t just post that picture and then deny us a way to do it ourselves