Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread but is Sifu worth picking up? I watched a video and it seems tight although half the time whenever chinese characters appear I cringe because they are like, just that close to being correct lol

The Polygon review might help you with your decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread but is Sifu worth picking up? I watched a video and it seems tight although half the time whenever chinese characters appear I cringe because they are like, just that close to being correct lol

Some folks (myself included) have started posting some very early thoughts in the beat em up thread. I'm really enjoying it so far, the combat feels tight, the game is (extremely) challenging, and the animation, art design and dynamic music system are gorgeous.

The metaprogression elements are either going to turn you off of it, or not be a problem. To me, nothing about playing through Sifu feels significantly different to trying to get good at a retro beat em up - you are essentially grinding away to get good enough to 1CC the game. I don't feel any sort of compulsion to grind for move unlocks, the starting moveset feels quite complete already and they're happening fairly organically as I try and get better at the game. Definitely a difficulty cliff more than a difficulty curve though - enemies are absolutely capable of loving you up in just a few hits.

It's an uncompromising design and I like it for it, I'm all for more games like this where the devs swing for the fences at an interesting concept.

Jack Trades posted:

The Polygon review might help you with your decision.

I think Pat is overstating the complexity of the metaprogression systems quite a bit in that review.
I'd offer as a counterpoint the IGN video review that I think does a fair job of outlining what makes the game great (the combat) while addressing the elephant in the room (the metaprogression stuff). You'll know from the description of it there whether or not it's something that'll put you off the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sifu owns I urge all sor4 tragics to play it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There's also a dedicated and well-named Sifu thread.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I was never a fan of Shiva's Final Crash blitz because it's a combo ender for a character who has an alternative, more damaging combo ender in his air combo string, but I'm now a convert: in Survival mode specifically when you've picked up an extra jump he becomes an unstoppable beast. You can use the double jump to cancel the final crash into an air combo and do all sorts of fuckery to deal additional damage with his specials, and the Final Crash seems to pick up a LOT of people with it. Bonus points if you have Electric and Fire Heavy, because if you end the air combo on a final D+P then enemies take the hit, proc the Fire element which gives them some upwards momentum, and also proc the electric element which makes them hang in midair, giving you enough time to hit another Final Crash or an air combo or pretty much anything you want.

It's amazing: they've made a scrolling beat-em-up with the mechanical complexity of a traditional 2-D fighter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Breetai posted:

I was never a fan of Shiva's Final Crash blitz because it's a combo ender

You can continue the combo from it though?

https://streamable.com/ovmlwn

Here's an old clip I made where I'm using Shiva's every default move in a single combo. The combo could be better but still.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jack Trades posted:

You can continue the combo from it though?

[.

True, but only if you use a special from what I see in your video. You don't appear to be able to use normals after it except occasionally a single jab if they bounce just right

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Breetai posted:

True, but only if you use a special from what I see in your video. You don't appear to be able to use normals after it except occasionally a single jab if they bounce just right

Yeah but why does that matter? You get the hp back right away.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah but why does that matter? You get the hp back right away.

I need to work on my specials game. I have a very bad habit of eating poo poo and losing a lot of green health every time I hit the special button.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I was never a fan of Shiva's Final Crash blitz because it's a combo ender for a character who has an alternative, more damaging combo ender in his air combo string, but I'm now a convert: in Survival mode specifically when you've picked up an extra jump he becomes an unstoppable beast. You can use the double jump to cancel the final crash into an air combo and do all sorts of fuckery to deal additional damage with his specials, and the Final Crash seems to pick up a LOT of people with it. Bonus points if you have Electric and Fire Heavy, because if you end the air combo on a final D+P then enemies take the hit, proc the Fire element which gives them some upwards momentum, and also proc the electric element which makes them hang in midair, giving you enough time to hit another Final Crash or an air combo or pretty much anything you want.

It's amazing: they've made a scrolling beat-em-up with the mechanical complexity of a traditional 2-D fighter.

Not to mention that if you pick up additional extra jumps, you can cancel his air combo into another air combo until you're literally off the screen.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Why does Survival mode hate me so much?

Welp. This run's over.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Why does Survival mode hate me so much?

Welp. This run's over.

Isn't bloodthirst pretty much essential beyond a certain point? Later levels get pretty darn Scroogey with healing items.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Erpy posted:

Isn't bloodthirst pretty much essential beyond a certain point? Later levels get pretty darn Scroogey with healing items.

Yeah it's really good when you have all your poo poo stacking sky high but it makes the early game much harder imo

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Erpy posted:

Oh absolutely, my point was supposed to be that you can get both of these one-off bonuses presented to you in the same lever, thereby stopping you from getting both.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

quote:

Grand Uppeeeeer @everyone! punch

Streets of Rage 4 and its DLC (Mr. X Nightmare) are NOW available on iOS and Android thanks to the fine folks Playdigious!

boxing_glove Get them now on Android: https://tinyurl.com/ycktu4c7
boxing_glove Get them now on iOS: https://tinyurl.com/3r8eprvx

Please note that Mr. X Nightmare can only be purchased in-app for 2,99$. As for the multiplayer mode, it will not be available at launch but will come in a free update post-launch.

wrench If you need any technical assistance on the mobile product, please reach out to Playdigious via this email address: hello@playdigious.com

fire https://youtu.be/evEHeVYa5II

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Insta-purchase!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Android/IOS version has gamepad support (recommended because this game is kinda too complicated for touch imo).

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
I played that new TMNT game on game pass with some friends, and it was fun. Felt a little basic to me.

It basically caused me to boot up some Streets again after a few months.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's my opinion too; it's fun and all, but none of the enemies so far (I've played ten levels) feel much like the kind of puzzle that SoR4 offers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah they’re not the same game. Just like turtles in time wasn’t the same as SOR2

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I just finished it. They're two different approaches to the genre. If I had to choose between the two I'd want SoR - but I don't have to choose and I had fun with both. I'm curious to see what a harder playthrough is like because I was definitely getting more instances of "I didn't handle this wave of enemies correctly and paid for it" situations in the back third of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I finished all of Story Mode on the hardest difficulty and I can already see some of the trouble spots in Arcade. Those stupid backflipping black ninjas, the long gauntlets on Stage 13, and Shredder/Krang are so tanky in their boss battles. I don't think it's the kind of game where there are still things to master after 100 hours like SOR4 but doing a 1cc arcade run will be challenging at first.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

I finished all of Story Mode on the hardest difficulty and I can already see some of the trouble spots in Arcade. Those stupid backflipping black ninjas, the long gauntlets on Stage 13, and Shredder/Krang are so tanky in their boss battles. I don't think it's the kind of game where there are still things to master after 100 hours like SOR4 but doing a 1cc arcade run will be challenging at first.

Can you still "taunt" in arcade? There were a few times in the later stages, probably thirteen, where one answer was to use your special two or three times then just charge back up before proceeding. I had to stop myself from doing it because it's lame, but it'd be nice if, say, they limited you to one taunt per stage or something.

Regarding enemies, the black foots were tough; they would jump back but the answer wasn't to up kick them; I think it was to dodge roll forward? They definitely got me a lot. Also, I would super the Smashy mech the foot would get dizzy on; otherwise they'd hit me three or four times because I'm too stupid to not stay under them.

Up kicking (jump and attack) and dodge rolling past to hit the back where how I dealt with almost everything, bosses included, how about y'all?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You can taunt but you only get one bar of meter in arcade mode.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

You can taunt but you only get one bar of meter in arcade mode.

Dang, like the PC Gamer review I'm starting to wish there was a mode that was Arcade, but with saves.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Messing around with combos in this game is very fun.
https://streamable.com/bqs4pz

I think I could've gotten a couple more juggles after the star move but I couldn't figure it out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

There's a new Streets of Rage 4 patch that's in beta right now. Infuriatingly there seems to be no place to find all the changes in one place, but it's mostly focused on Survival Mode and the new characters added in Mr X Nightmare. Basically a lot of Survival Mode boons got tweaked/reworked to be more useful. Glass Cannon is down to 60% more damage taken so it's no longer an autolose button (still probably pretty bad though), more food added to later stages so that Bloodthirst isn't 100% necessary, and buffs to some of the weaker effects like Ally and Full of Yourself. Big nerfs to Shiva's Flying Kick and Max's vortex abuse, nerfs to multi-hit blitz attacks across the board, mega-buffs for my queen Estel. Excited for when it finally goes live!

So is there any news on this, because it doesn't look like anything close to the described has been rolled out and I was looking forward to glass cannon being a viable option.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I set up a Raspberry Pi as a retro console. SoR2 is so dope; one of the best "I'm high and half-asleep and just wanna vibe" soundtracks ever. Grandma paw for life. I hope everybody is doing well 🧡

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Shine posted:

I set up a Raspberry Pi as a retro console. SoR2 is so dope; one of the best "I'm high and half-asleep and just wanna vibe" soundtracks ever. Grandma paw for life. I hope everybody is doing well 🧡

SoR2 is one of my GOAT, no doubt.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDaio2hf1fE

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Shine posted:

Been playing SoR2 and 3 lately, they hold up beautifully. It makes me appreciate the balance that SoR4 struck as a sequel. Pulling the more iconic enemy designs from SoR2 while building off SoR3's more refined and faster gameplay was a perfect decision.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SOR2 is a "stranded on a desert island" game for me

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

acksplode posted:

Been playing SoR2 and 3 lately, they hold up beautifully. It makes me appreciate the balance that SoR4 struck as a sequel. Pulling the more iconic enemy designs from SoR2 while building off SoR3's more refined and faster gameplay was a perfect decision.

It's such a shame that the US got what we did for Streets of Rage 3-- I always thought of it as the worst one in the series as a kid, never knowing that Bare Knuckle 3 was a significantly different and better game than what we got.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ironically what many kids from the 90s remember as "Nintendo hard" was actually because Japanese developers under directive deliberately made games more difficult overseas so that they couldn't be beaten in a weekend rental.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RichterIX posted:

It's such a shame that the US got what we did for Streets of Rage 3-- I always thought of it as the worst one in the series as a kid, never knowing that Bare Knuckle 3 was a significantly different and better game than what we got.

It's baffling because I always felt like SoR3 would have been much better and I never played BK3 until recently and some of the changes are noticeable.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
15-year-old me agrees with regards to the difficulty level in Streets of Rage 3.

42-year-old me, forged in the fires of Survival Mode in SOR4 where frankly if we don't beat level 32 we consider it a failed run, says :rms:

Breetai fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 13, 2022

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

So loving good, goddamn

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It's happening!

quote:

Earlier in the year, it was announced that Sega was looking to get a film adaptation made based on their classic beat-’em-up series Streets of Rage (or Bare Knuckle, if you’re nerdy). Today, Lionsgate has announced that they’ve acquired the rights for the film, which is being written and produced by Derek Kolstad (John Wick, Nobody).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Unless they have the gang beating up a bunch of cops like they do in the game, it won't be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm sure it will be high quality like all video game movies tend to be.