Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm really not a fan of the new artstyle, but I guess it's cool that you can revert to the original spritework for the old characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The indie scene chose the wrong path when they went all-in on metroidvanias and roguelites instead of sidescrolling beatemups.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Streets of Rage Remake whips for anyone who wants to get in the mood while they wait for this

It really goes beyond the level of fan mod, SoRR is the most definitive version of the games to date.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh cool I didn't know Olivier Deriviere was the composer on this, he did some great work on Plague Tale: Innocence. SoR seems a little outside his usual wheelhouse but I'm looking forward to some sick ultraviolence tunes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is this gonna be on PC Gamepass too?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh that's cool, I didn't see it available for preload on the store at all so I was skeptical. Do PC Gamepass games usually go live at midnight or do they do the Steam/Epic thing where it's "when the intern wakes up after smoking his morning bowl."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxiL4fPWAA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there any word on when exactly this unlocks?

If you have Gamepass for either PC or XB you can go to the AUS store and download it right now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This game rules and I suck so bad at it. On stage 5 now with my best gurl Blaze.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just got through the game on Normal as Blaze and started hitting B/A rank near the end, so there's lots of room to grow. Now getting into Hard. The combat feels great and surprisingly complex, I'm sure people will be showing of 400+ damage air combos on each character within the next couple days. I was skeptical at first but Streets of Rage is back, baby!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Did anyone get the idea that Estel might be a secret unlockable character or has that already been deconfirmed?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Minus the final boss he was the hardest in the game for me by far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anyone been completely unable to join an online game on PC? Playing through Gamepass.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The theme that kicks in around 2:50 of Rising Up is the best. Pretty amazing how cohesive the whole soundtrack feels despite coming from 6 different composers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Same here. I get connection failed every time I try. It also crashes to desktop randomly. Once during an end stage boss. I'm going to play something else until it's patched. Shame because it's so much fun. :(

:siren: To anyone on PC Gamepass who can't connect. :siren:

Make sure you don't have a VPN currently running. This is what solved the problem for me:

1. Right-click the Start button, and then select Device Manager.
2. Select View > Show Hidden Devices.
3. Select Network Adapters.
4. Identify any adapters that have a name like TAP-Windows. Right-click the adapter name, and then select Disable.

I did this for a NordVPN device and after that I was able to connect in the online lobbies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

So far it seems like Cherry and Adam are the most powerful characters, with everyone else having some strengths and weaknesses.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

I felt like the difficulty was mostly on the level - some of the boss superarmour felt excessive, the Stage 2 boss in particular it feels like spends 90% of their time armored and throwing out huge damaging moves and he was the only boss that I had a ton of trouble with. A few particular screens in levels gave me a lot of trouble, the dojo level and it's room packed with Garcias with spears, for example. Anything involving far too many of the fire/poison/electricity enemies as well. Enemy throwables and stage hazards combined can lead to some super lovely feeling outcomes with knockback where you uncontrollably bounce around like a pinball soaking up a ridiculous amount of unavoidable damage.

Something I didn't discover until my second time through the game is that you can also grab flasks + grenades midair to throw back at them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The final stage on harder difficulties is kind of ridiculous. Literally every screen has some dumb gimmick that can wipe you and you have to manage your turkeys perfectly. And then the final boss form takes forever to die since to my knowledge you can't combo it. I'm relieved every time I beat it but it's one chapter I never wanna replay.

I'm hoping they eventually put in an Endless Mode since I'd like to beat on some dudes endlessly without having to switch levels.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I think with Blaze you're meant to use her air special for mobility. It covers a huge amount of ground and you can usually get all your health back right away with a wall splat or back throw. Blaze's corners combos are really fun to pull off in general.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think that's true everywhere because you can't select characters the host hasn't unlocked yet. Too many scrubs out there with no Skate!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skytrain Boss on Hardest: LOL

It's pretty crazy how much my SoR skills have increased in just a couple days. Feels good when you phase right through some wombo combo with a defensive special.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It must have taken me at least 30 tries to get past the first floor of Y Tower on Hardest. Good thing the boss is so easy or I would have flipped! Higher difficulties do not gently caress around.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Commish was pretty easy for me since you can just neutral jump his grab. Barbon on the other hand can really hurt you if you get wombo comboed into the bikes, and he comes at the end of a pretty tough level in general.

I don't know if this is common knowledge, but every bike you destroy spawns another biker lady, so don't just go smashing them willy nilly!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've mostly been playing Blaze and her airdash is really good, so I'm not hurting for mobility there. Seems to crush almost every air attack as well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Probably mentioned itt but how the hell do you counter jump attacks from enemies

Not sure if other characters have the same deal but Blaze's air special crushes through jump attacks. I just got through Old Pier on Mania and it was necessary to survive some of the absolutely insane Ruby/Garnet packs there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Turkey management is key.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm halfway through Mania now and every screen is filled with enemy comps that are like "how the hell is it even possible to beat this." It's awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

You know who can't gently caress themselves? Those hapless lovely robots that I don't think have done any damage to me during any playthrough. They're kind of endearingly pathetic and they are less of a threat than your average Galsia.

The ones with the ground slam and lead pipes? Because I've got some news about them on Hardest/Mania...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

i tried it out and it never countered once. Honestly Blaze's standard jump kick seemed to have more luck. Unlessyou mean Y/triangle special cuz im thinking of fwd fwd attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktZwKoFDTRA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Holy poo poo, I just beat Chinatown on Mania. That was basically the most insane act of gaming in my life. Every single screen has at least one thing that can instantly drop you, sometimes more than one! Very humbling to put on possibly the greatest performance of my beatemup career and only hit C rank.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've dabbled around with Cherry and Adam because their strengths are obvious but I keep coming back to Blaze. That forward special and airdash put in some work on these insane Mania comps. I also suck too much to switch mains before I can beat the whole thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's very possible on Hardest/Mania to get an extra life for Skytrain if you get a good combo streak going.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first floor of Y tower is I think the hardest segment in the entire game. Just brutal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I really would love an Endurance Mode added to this game because sometimes I'd like to beat on increasingly ridiculous configurations of bad guys without having to deal with stage gimmicks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Seriously a modern version of SOR with the Yakuza fighting system would be so rad.

How about a modern Streets of Rage with Streets of Rage combat, like SoR4, which we are playing now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

I love this game but the start of Y Tower is hot garbage.

I've been stuck on Y Tower on Mania for a couple days now. It's just absolutely ridiculous how perfectly you have to play each screen, and then the elevator isn't a cakewalk either.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

My beef is that the slippy floor isn't fun. I'm trying to roll up a high score on hardest and you lose enemies to them sliding then they move with total accuracy to kick you after. It's just annoying and sucks. Let me beat these goons to death with style instead of having to throw like a manic, game.

The endless ninjas who slide in with that lovely triple kick piss me off so much. And it's basically unreactable and does a shitload of damage on a floor when all you've got are 3 apples and almost certainly have to save your star move for that double Goro + Condor pack.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to save the mop for the red Goros, but the white Goros are what you have to burn a star move on. If you go all the way to the right side of the screen as they spawn you can usually get both in a wall combo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

JBP posted:

Just keep throwing.

I thought Y Tower was really tough on Hardest but Mania is just on a whole other stupid level. You can throw all day but nothing can save you from a screen full of 7 ninjas who are all spamming jump kicks at you from fullscreen. It's just way overtuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Oh god I finally beat it. Must have taken me at least 200 attempts over the past 2.5 days, no joke. There are just so many things that can wipe you, so many. The one saving grace is that the boss is easy as poo poo, if you can get to him.