Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

mindblowing how much love and attention to detail was put into this, from the additional characters to the incredible roster of composers that were recruited for this, Yuzo Koshiro included. SOR2 is still one of my all time favorite games that I own on every conceivable console alongside OutRun so I'm extremely excited to finally play this. With this and Ninja Warriors back, all we need is for the copyrights to allow TMNT 4 to come back and we have the holy trinity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I am tentatively excited for this game (long wall of text incoming).

My list of most important games in my life goes like this:

1) Super Mario 1, 2, 3, World (yes they all count as one game, this is my list dammit)
2) Half-Life 1, 2, episodes, Alyx
3) Streets of Rage 2

I used to rent SOR 2 on the genesis back in the day, I played it constantly to the point where I probably had a a good solid couple hundred hours in just rental versions. I finally got it for Genesis when I got the 6-pack, stuck another couple hundred hours probably into it there.

I also had it on Game Gear, which was a surprisingly good port, at least from a fun and enjoyment standpoint. Played it tons there, especially during long car rides.

I am pretty sure I own every official re-release minus a couple like Gamecube (Sega Smash Pack Dreamcast, Sonic Gems PS2, Wii VC Sonics Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 and PS3). I have the Sega Genesis Classics on Steam (the only game I own in the package is of course Streets of Rage 2). I don't own the XBLA version because I'm pretty sure I had the Ultimate Genesis Collection for 360 first.

By far my favorite port however is for the 3DS. Between the 3D graphics, Rage Replay, and Casual mode, it offers a ton, and it is just a really good port in general. I love it and I consider it to be the definitive way to play the game in 2020. I also own the Switch port but that has its own problems. Its better than not having the game at all though and I've played through it a handful of times on Switch despite its deficiencies.All of this is a long way of saying I have played the game thousands of times, beaten it hundreds of times and I love it completely. Weirdly in all of this, SOR1 and 3 barely factor in. I've played them both, I think I've beaten SOR1, but they just don't hit as hard for me as 2 does.

Which is why I am pretty nervous for SOR4. Like Half Life Alyx had with HL2, SOR4 has nearly impossibly large shoes to fill. Not only from just the basic standpoint of "is it a good game", but from a gameplay standpoint, combat, movement, music, graphics, all of it. The game looks good so far, and I am 100% buying it on release day (haven't decided between Switch and PC yet) but man, I am nervous for this one because I personally have so much emotion tied up in the game. Its such a good, genre-defining classic, that it will be hard to even match, let alone top.

I'm right there with you, I loving love SoR2 and especially love the definitive 3DS port that M2 did (also really loving adore the work they did on all the 3DS Sega stuff, especially Shinobi 3 and OutRun).

I don't actually feel like SoR4 will be that comparable to SoR2 for a myriad of ways, particularly the unique mechanics the devs wanted to give each character i.e. how Cherry can run, Adam has a dash that leads into combos, etc etc how they want every character to feel very different. By all means it seems they really love the source material hence why they got Yuzo back as well as
some of the most legendary Capcom composers ever to throw in. A lot of demo playthrough first takes seem really positive and the game looks so beautiful, I'm just happy to see SoR back--a beat'em up in geenral being made with so much quality is so rare to begin with. I was ecstatic that Ninja Warriors got a remake, still loving crazy that exists. Double Dragon Neon was probably the last new beat'em up that really impressed me--not counting River City Girls since that's more of a RCR kind of RPGesque deal.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

This modern era of Sega licensing out their IPs to indie devs for remakes (Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, Panzer Dragoon) and sequels (Monster Boy, Streets of Rage 4) is both cool as hell since Sega always seems like it wants to do as little with their legacy IPs as possible, but also sad as hell because they have such a large IP vault that they neglect constantly. Sonic Mania is like the closest thing to one of those project they actually got involved with beyond just licensing it, and that's because Sega seems to only make Sonic and Yakuza games anymore (waiting on those Yakuza remasters to get on PC). I'm hoping the new Sakura Wars game is a sign of them starting to go use their stuff again, but I doubt it.

In any case, I hope more legacy Sega games are churned out by indie devs if this is their future.

It's really great that they've been open to people like DotEmu or Christian Whitehead just taking the ball and running with it in regards to things like classic Sonic stuff or SoR4, plus letting M2 go hogwild on the Sega AGES collection. Really wish Konami would take a similar approach in letting other hungry indie devs take a shot at their stagnating IPs. Maybe if SoR4 does well Sega will open the floodgates. Imagine how loving awesome a new Comix Zone would look from people who did SoR4 or if we could get a new Shining Force revival. Hell, maybe they'd drag out Jet Set Radio or OutRun. So many fantastic things they could let other people make while they churn out Yakuza and Persona stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It took like 20 goddamn years but we finally got a "rally" mechanic for a beat 'em up i.e. being able to get back the health lost from special moves by hitting people or just not taking damage for a while. Honestly that's how it should have been because otherwise most people won't use them.

Also really digging the juggling/wallbounce mechanics here, finally you can get creative about combos especially in multiplayer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

can't believe this comes out TOMORROW holy gently caress. I've been more excited for this game than any other this year.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Holy gently caress that drop at 50 seconds in to that Yuzo track with the strings. The boy is back.

Also an actual stage select/arcade mode aside from the 12(!) stage game with 5 levels of difficulty, that sounds great. This is probably even more love put into a beat'emup than Double Dragon Neon, gently caress I'm even more hyped.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In celebration for the imminent release here's a great mashup of SOR2 x The Shamen that I listen to every dang day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFUm8YmyXU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Aside from IGN (who the gently caress even reads them anymore) every review I've seen for this is positively glowing. The mad lads at Dotemu loving did it.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 29, 2020

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Social Animal posted:

I don’t have time to read the reviews yet but do any of them mention the Switch version? No lag or anything on it? Was the platform I was planning to buy it on but things can be hit or miss on it.

The Switch-specific review from Nintendo World gave it high praise and there's been no mention of anything negative for the Switch version. By all accounts seems like you don't lose anything with the Switch.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/53617/streets-of-rage-4-switch-review

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the new juggles and wallbounces are super meaty, I love it. Axel/Blaze/Cherry all feel like they have certain rhythms but Floyd has a lot of bad matchups/fights imo. He seems like he'd be a good 2-player choice.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

So far it seems like Cherry and Adam are the most powerful characters, with everyone else having some strengths and weaknesses.

funny thing is I had to get used to how Cherry's attacks go + some delay on her specials. Axel felt more grounded and predictable with how his attacks hit for me + I like his air special/defensive whirl. Maybe it's my imagination (probably is) but I felt I took a little more damage as Cherry.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Goes to show how poorly I understood the game's tactics and how this isn't a brainless beatemup when I tried Arcade with Floyd and was doing WAY better than my first playthrough on Story. Understood how poo poo works a lot more in terms of seeing encounters like a puzzle and recognizing how the enemies work.

I think Axel could use a slight buff? Weird how his stats listed in the game are basically the same as Adam's except Adam gets one extra point in "Jump" and has a quicker toolset for combos. Axel's biggest weapon is absolutely the rolling special from the air; I think his grand upper needs more priority though. Seems like it doesn't have the interrupting power it should. He's not godawful but right now he seems a step behind where he should be compared to everyone else.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

One thing I appreciate is how well this game took Adam Hunter, a character who was pretty much a nothingburger and got replaced with his younger hipper bro, and transformed him into the coolest motherfucker. Great example of breathing new life into such a plain-rear end design.

I kinda missed Skate but given this game takes place 10 years later, makes sense we probably wouldn't see an adult Skate still rolling around. Still want them to possibly add Roo later on, though.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

also I play a lot of Axel and I think that all round he's excellent. You don't get the same level of control and have to be very careful with the grand upper, but I like that all his poo poo hits repeatedly. I can build 150+ combos that I wouldn't hit with other characters. His lockdown is also awesome if you use his special correctly. He's the man that generates extra lives on arcade for me.

yeah using Axel a little more I realize his jumping special, that roll into a falcon punch, is really good in ways that have advantage over other character specials. His defensive special hitting thrice with such a long reach is also great. I only really use the Forward special if a shitload of guys are in a corner and I'm in a multiplayer situation or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It only went away because Sega of America's former president was an idiot who killed Koshiro's SOR4 pitch for Dreamcast because he was convinced SOR was an obscure dead franchise not worth resurrecting, in 1998

Sega also said no to a new Jet Set like twice before. Hopefully with Sonic Mania and SOR4 being big success stories, they can finally revive poo poo like Jet Set or OutRun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the fact that there are OTG attacks like Blaze's blitz heel smash and Axel's rolling air special really owns. Also Blaze is HILARIOUS on the elevator to the plane. Her combo finisher literally spikes enemies downward and off the elevator.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oh....you can cancel Grand Upper into specials? This changes poo poo for me

https://twitter.com/SHwoKingVSF/status/1256667145645240320

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

had a great idea for a crossover Sega character DLC: Sketch Turner from Comix Zone.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

lol gently caress they wanted to put Shinobi in the game.

https://www.destructoid.com/streets-of-rage-4-nearly-had-shinobi-s-joe-musashi-guest-starring-590782.phtml

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

People have been mentioning DLC. Is that a sure thing or just wishful thinking? I would be so up for DLC.

It seems like the dev twitter has been teasing it a little bit so I'd be surprised if they didn't eventually put at LEAST SOR4 versions of Max/Shiva as playable characters. The game did exceptionally well judging by how high it's on the eShop Most Downloaded list at least, so chances are good for more.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the devs are doing an AMA right now on the Reddit PS4 channel. A lot of dipshits are just repeating the same "DLC WHEN!?" question but every dev has pretty much confirmed there is going to be added content--they just haven't really come to a decision about what exactly it'll be + are busy fine tuning any bugs and issues right now. Mentioned new colors for characters might be a nice thing to add and that Dotemu was currently working on 3 unannounced "similar" projects, maybe more Sega stuff?

One of the few good questions was about cut content: there was a motorcycle level they wanted to add but it would have taken too long to put in.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Breetai posted:

Ooh, what buffs is he getting?

Found these sources for balance tweaks they are doing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetsofRage/comments/gxb9pj/shinkensou_demoing_test_version_with_axel_buffs/ft0amp6/

https://mp1st.com/news/streets-of-rage-4-big-balance-patch-being-worked-devs-comment-on-post-launch-content

tldr: Axel, along with maybe other characters, can special while getting hit, Axel's Grand Upper travels further. Looks like he can cancel from Upper into his specials too? Plus Grand Upper is OTG, don't recall that being possible before. there's a video here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhzEKnC9ok

Also more beta info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTZhgSP3CU

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jun 17, 2020

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pro thread title change.

I'm just glad the devs realize "ah gently caress we really need to buff Axel," that's really all I wanted since he's a cool character but you often have to work harder than the other 4 characters every time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New video about potential buffs to Axel--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyc0hqt9-oQ

- Charge attack is better
- Grand Upper travels farther, does more damage, OTG, third hit into it can be cancelled
- neutral special OTGs and costs a bit less health
- air special recovery is better
- forward special has better hitbox
- walkspeed a bit better

If they keep most of these changes it really sounds like he'll be on par with the other 4 and more fun to play.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JBP posted:

Did they ever give axel a patch? I saw a video of a test build or something itt that sounded cool.

they've been working on that for quite a bit, but no news on when it will drop

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

one of the dotemu guys on Twitter recently said they're almost ready to put something out, though I'm certain it's the fabled "Axel Patch" and not DLC, which would come later.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Axel Day is coming

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1301420900970106881?s=20

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

game difficulty will probably be more fun for people who want to try the 3 difficulties after Normal. People who were wrecking Mania already weren't really the target for this and neither were people who played it on Easiest.

I'm sure the DLC they have planned (which will likely be a lot, given they broke 1.5 mil) will include more stuff that will crush your nuts

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Being able to hit with so much more stuff OTG is loving amazing. Grand Upper hitting harder, faster, more reach and having OTG properties alone makes Axel the beast he should have been. Feels like he just hits harder in general now, he's up to snuff with the other 4 at last.

Blaze's combo ender kick feels like it now rockets enemies a lot farther horizontally or maybe it's just me? Seems like it was tinkered with to make it not as braindead to combo with her but maybe it's just me that she feels much faster now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Can I ask for some tips. I like beat em ups so got 4 and I kind of find it more frustrating then fun.

My character moves at the speed of a snail and bosses drain my lives because they just start deciding 'no we don't have to flinch anymore.' and I just get super fed up with. I just did the sewer level that led into the bike shop and the guy there drained all 3 of my lives because I couldn't get away from his special move due to the glacial walk speed and him never flinching. I beat him on my second attempt with just a sliver of hp and it loving sucks dude.

I heard so many good things from the GDQ run about 4 that I feel like I have to be missing something here.

E: Apparently there was a patch so I'm playing pre-patch.

Who are you using? What difficulty?
In terms of character speed, Floyd is the Slow One; Axel just got his entire toolkit (and speed) buffed so patch the game asap.

The boss in the bike shop (Barbon) is a steep difficulty increase coming into that one, especially with a slow character. Takes a bit of pattern recognition to fight him and know when it's safe to attack him. He's probably imo one of the harder bosses due to how wild he gets. Most bosses have periods of flashing super armor; don't attack them unless you feel you can attack quick enough to break through that. Also if the motorcycles get destroyed, it pisses off the motorbike chicks and more will join the battle.

Some basic tips if you're just coming in:

- special attacks drain HP but it can be rallied back by hitting enemies. Special attacks can also be busted out even if you're eating poo poo; you can use it to break combos or cancel your own. (This is postpatch btw!)

- I'm sure you know this from most beat em ups but simply moving up or down can be a godsend vs some of the annoying enemies. Some can track you diagonally (the motorcycle chicks) so be wary of that.

- characters postpatch now have a lot of moves that will hit fallen enemies OTG (like Blazes's blitz attack [tapping forward twice + attack] and Axel's Grand Upper) which can reset them into even more combos. You can also cancel into blitz attacks midcombo too as a way to throw enemies around. You can legit do some insane wallbounces and juggles in this game to lock many shittier enemies into your loops.

- You are invincible while doing a back throw. This counts for when you throw an enemy back while grappling from the front, and when grappling from the back. The latter is the strongest throw and you can go from front to back grapple by hitting jump. (For Floyd, this is different; you do a leaping grab instead which can be turned into a Slam.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

don't feel bad, Barbon is a motherfucker the first time you fight him---he melted all my lives the first time I faced him too, his attacks are loving fast especially when he enters Phase 2 lol. He honestly is a brutal wakeup call on your first playthrough so don't give up!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Breetai posted:

Surprisingly useful aspect of the Grand Upper now hitting grounded enemies is that you can use it on groups of enemies that have been knocked down in succession (but not simultaneously) in order to make them all get up at the same time. It's a bit situational, but it helps to avoid situations where you're pressuring a group of downed opponents, start to hit the first one standing, and then someone else gets up between your strikes and hits you. It's definitely quite useful on Hardest+.

it really is loving huge that you can continue a combo in the corner with Grand Upper + neutral specials. Glad they took a page out of the Tekken book and thought "it sucks waiting for people to get up before you can attack again. gently caress that, let's bend the beat em up rules"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Frabba posted:

Is it me, or is the Y Tower boss way harder than he used to be? His second stage on Mania was brutal.

they buffed all the Y encounters, yeah.

the feedback on the patch is genuinely funny to me. A lot of people on twitter and youtube now think the game is "baby poo poo" while others think enemies got faster + the removal of some infinites made the game harder. Worse are the people who won't stop crying about giving everyone a loving dash for some reason, which would completely change the other 4 characters' mechanics radically.

While I def feel the game got a tad easier with some changes to some of the more annoying enemies (motorbike chicks having less hitbox reach and a bit less HP, damage scaling turned down when you're getting comboed, GALSIA) I don't feel like it's less enjoyable or braindead; a lot of the enemy changes just altered some of the bullshit things that would cheese you. Hardest/Mania are still challenging to everyone who isn't one of the prodigies on youtube doing 500 hit combos with EVO-level precision.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sor4: legendary dark knight mode

https://twitter.com/Guard_Crush/status/1311691277851860992?s=20

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I approve of this. Hopefully it still means they're working on SOR4 DLC though.

Guardcrush/Lizardcube worked on SOR4 iirc while Tribute is doing the TMNT game; Dotemu as a company both publishes and helps development with several games across the board like SOR4, Windjammers 2, and now TMNT. Def won't mean SOR4 will be abandoned anytime soon.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this owns so loving much, that loving SOR2 song remix from Tee Lopes holy shittttttt

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Switch being the one console to gently caress up my most anticipated DLC of the year, alongside Steam's "switch pro" and the Nicktoons game, seems like the cherry on top of the "gently caress Nintendo" week

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

While I think a balance update with maybe some new powerups for Survival Mode is likely, I'm not expecting another character expansion from Dotemu at this point. SOR4 did well but I don't think it was a monster hit or anything. Seems like they're ready to move onto TMNT and other projects.

I read recently it sold like 2.5 mil copies, it's been a pretty absurd success considering the niche genre. But yeah, there's not much more to really keep working on. A DLC add-on was great but they're way behind on Windjammers 2 and probably now have a fuckload of new ideas and games to finish up, I'm insanely happy with the work they did and they'll def get even more projects greenlit after this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

we're not getting this on Switch for weeks lol Nintendo loving sucks at this

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IT'S ON SWITCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

acksplode posted:

Choosing to assume that meant idc what they do as long as they reuse the SoR4 artists, which I'd agree with. Also that french dude who made most of the soundtrack, get him back

This. Olivier Deriviere went into this project with an impossible fuckin' task---matching the insane precedent that Yuzo Koshiro had set---and he rose to the occasion beautifully. Funky HQ, On Fire, and Rising Up are certified classics in this game.