Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I'm a SOR player whose playing style relies a lot on throwing and grappling to keep large groups off balance and intuitively throw or vault to avoid incoming attacks, so Axel's ability to clear crowds behind him with his excellent back throw and crowds in front with his headbutt felt very natural to me (Floyd's a good thrower, but his throws miss attackers at point blank range which has messed me up frequently) and I had a lot of trouble getting used to Cherry, who lacks a vault ability and whose throw game is a lot weaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

DLC Inc posted:

Found these sources for balance tweaks they are doing:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetsofRage/comments/gxb9pj/shinkensou_demoing_test_version_with_axel_buffs/ft0amp6/

https://mp1st.com/news/streets-of-rage-4-big-balance-patch-being-worked-devs-comment-on-post-launch-content

tldr: Axel, along with maybe other characters, can special while getting hit, Axel's Grand Upper travels further. Looks like he can cancel from Upper into his specials too? Plus Grand Upper is OTG, don't recall that being possible before. there's a video here too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhzEKnC9ok

Also more beta info here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOTZhgSP3CU

The current version already allows you to cancel into your special from a blitz attack. You cancel Grand Upper into Dragon Wing to make it safe or Dragon Smash to completely ruin your opponent's day, as long as there's no enemies nearby to hit you in the back.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I kinda wish that they'd gone with the implementation of special usage as in SOR3 with regards to that slowly-charging meter that gives you the occasional 'free' special, because between the fact that they no longer break you out of blockstun and the fact that some characters' specials make you take up to 1/5 a health bar of damage means that I'm frequently doing playthroughs (including my Mania playthrough) without touching specials at all. They're just too risky a proposition/not useful enough.

It's still the greatest beat-em-up of all time, through; don't get me wrong.

The upcoming patch allows you to break out of hitstun with your defensive special as well as cancel a knockdown into an air special as an anti-juggle manouver.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

I am not super thrilled to be playing as a police officer in 2020 TBH. Give us Roo instead.

Um, Adam's still a cop and Axel and Blaze quit the force over corruption at the top rather than ethical concerns against the practice of using heavy firepower against unarmed folks every time someone presses the special button.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was just on Normal and using Blaze/Axel just trying to flip between them. Problem with Biker Boss is that he'd do his tell that he was going to triple kick and I'd try to get away only for him to chase me full screen on the second kick, then create distance on the third one. I would try to approach him and he'd skitter away at mach 10 and instantly go into the triple attack again. I could never reach him because Blaze didn't want to move faster than 'comically slow' so my only option of actually getting him was to let him kick my teeth in but make it so he'd triple kick into a wall, hope I could recover in time and hit him before he zips away.

I put the game down after that because I just got so mad at that :smith:

Does sound like I should patch it ASAP though.

This was already the case pre-patch, but you have invincibility frames on a neutral jump from the moment you leave the ground until the apex of your jump, as long as you don't press the attack button. You can use neutral jumps to avoid his flurry of spin kicks.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Frabba posted:

Yeah, that's what got me. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to avoid the suplex there now.

IIRC, he usually does the supplex after flexing in place for a moment after which he'll walk up to you and grab you. But if you let him come to you after his flex and neural jump and attack, he won't grab you when you land.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The tough part here is they would have to not only remake the game but also make it good

To be honest, I think they hit a lot of the right notes already with Final Fight 3 (or Final Fight Tough in Japan) for the SNES. If they'd build on that foundation, they'd have quite a solid game already.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lobok posted:

Yeah I think I got it from the manual but it was also an arcade game so it must not have been a big issue. Then again, that would be exactly the kind of dirty trick to play to siphon quarters from players to have an unintuitive game mechanic be the key to defeating a late boss.

Except the battle that required you to toss foot soldiers into the screen to beat the boss was SNES exclusive. In the Arcade version you didn't visit the Technodrome before going back in time. You went to the Prehistoric level right after the sewer stage.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Hmmm.

https://steamdb.info/app/1585820/

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bloodly posted:

I'm just curious what the inputs will be for these moves, given SOR hasn't gone in for 'select your super' sort of thing.

Many of those big moves in the trailer showed a star disappearing after being executed, so you probably have the ability to pick one out of several star moves with some geared towards knocking whole crowds on their backs to give you some breathing room and others setting up smaller groups for massive juggles/wall bounces.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

exquisite tea posted:

My guess is that some of these customizable skills will replace your normal abilities, with the option to slot a limited number of them into a loadout. So for example Blaze's double air somersault would take the place of her normal cartwheel kick, etc.

I believe that double air somersault was one of the moves where I saw a star disappear. But we'll see how it plays out.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Estel's moveset is...something.

https://twitter.com/Dotemu/status/1387059964221394952

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jack Trades posted:

Is that TMNT game gonna be same art style as SoR4 or is it gonna be pixelart? The trailer didn't really make that clear.
If it's pixelart then that's kinda lame.

The trailer did show some gameplay, as did some footage that was released later. It's basically the Turtles Arcade Game/Turtles in Time art style.

Breetai posted:

I dunno, it always seemed to me to have a chronic issue with enemies being unwilling to approach you to the point that they would constantly retreat offscreen, making playing with any but the fastest character an exercise in frustration.

It was pretty bad at release, but patches alleviated the issue a lot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
And here's what's behind door number 3:

https://twitter.com/lizardcube/status/1398262789290876930

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

flashy_mcflash posted:

"I don't need weapons, I am the weapon"

*hits a guy with a pipe*

I love this game so much

He doesn't technically wield weapons. He throws them, deflects them and punches them into enemies again as they rebound, but he doesn't hold on to them, somewhat mirroring his inability to use weapons in SOR3.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
New gameplay footage of Estel, Max and Shiva:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5nTmNfFqV0

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

exquisite tea posted:

Technically most of the SOR cast are cops. Estel was bad but in true beatemup fashion, you kicked her rear end until she came to her senses and now she's good. Isn't violence amazing?

Technically, it was less you repeatedly kicking her rear end until she came to her senses and more like the bad guy blowing her and a whole slew of civilians up by firing an RPG at the train they were on.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'll believe it when I see it.

DLC is still not up in the Nintendo E-shop in Europe which is disappointing but I'll get it as soon as I can.

I saw it one someone's stream. Apparantly it's holding up and pressing attack on the menu or something. Which would make sense because holding up and pressing attack on the title screen was how you enabled Roo in the selection screen in Streets of Rage 3, so that's a neat little callback on the developers' part.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lobok posted:

Made it to level 17 of the weekly sim. Super fun! Didn't realize we'd have to fight copies of the playable characters, they're tough! My undoing was taking the perk that gave 8% of damage dealt back as health but disabling health items. Was hoping I could hold out long enough to get an upgrade to that perk to get a higher % back but it was a struggle after that. Although it was good that unleashing a Star move with a bunch of upgrades and elemental buffs on a room of enemies basically refilled my health in one shot.

A volcano summit full of biker chicks was my undoing.

You're in for a treat because the biker chicks aren't the end of that particular level. 3 Mister Y's are. If you're playing a character with limited mobility, they'll gang-rape you with rockets.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Kiranamos posted:

You lose jump i-frames though which is tough.

Glass cannon is also worthless, it should be changed to only take additional damage from enemies, as the traps/vials just destroy you.

I love how the developers showed their spite in the first weekly challenge by offering you that glass cannon perk and then immediately throwing you into an arena with flamethrowers on both sides afterwards. There's no way that was an accident.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ms Adequate posted:

Man gently caress this week's level 13 right the way off, if I get past it I can go way further but I've died there more than I have in all later levels put together, I swear those balls gain exactly as large a hitbox as needed to bounce you around forever

Yeah, that one took me a while to get used to. If you enter there with a holo-buddy, I found that sticking to the edge of the southern gap makes the initial badge of enemies have trouble getting to you before your buddy's grenades blow them off the platform. (there's also grenades for yourself in the preceeding stage) The karateka is a matter of paying close attention to when he poses, at which he'll walk onto your z-plane and do his palm thrust to launch you across the room. If you quickly walk north or south as the karateka prepares his lunge, you can punish him afterwards. Dealing with Ms Y is usually a matter of avoiding her until she kills herself. :P

I mostly survived that stage by staying exactly in the middle and avoiding enemy attacks until they hit (and got hit by) the balls o' fun themselves, which always happened eventually.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Personally, I think Blaze is easier to start out with than Axel. (ironically, both their tutorial sections have some really tricky stuff near the end) She moves just a little bit faster than Axel, her specials leave her less open, her air special is a great way to quickly cover distance and her offensive special is a great "get off me" move to quickly knock crowds of enemies away.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lobok posted:

What's the deal with the Heat of the Battle mod in Survival? "Damage dealrj -90%. Gain bonus damage as long as the combo counter is active. +2% damage increase per hit combo." I'm not exactly sure how they're doing the math here but is it basically saying you can do huge damage but have to get up to a 45 hit combo before you break even with normal and from there the sky's the limit?

Yeah, it's not exactly a viable perk for most characters, especially since arena hazards frequently force you to take evasive action in order to avoid getting hit. Well, unless you're Roo with a few electric special perks under his belt and you use your offensive special to Tatsu your way through a group of enemies in which case you immediately have like a 90x combo multiplier. :P

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jack B Nimble posted:

Not to be a spoil sport but I wish this rougelite survival mode used the actual levels; the sense of geographic progression through a street or whatever apparently matters to me. Mix up the level segments each transition maybe, and certainly throw piles of random enemies at me, maybe a sort of AI director like l4d.

Anyway, endless arena fights in things that look like quake levels are OK, but it's not really what I'd prefer.

I think they figured that using actual levels where you walk from one encounter to the next rather than take a nearby portal would slow the pacing down, especially if you have a really long run.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Play posted:

I think what I like most about the game is how it mixes fighting game gameplay with beat 'em up style. Some of the longer combos in the game absolutely look and feel like they belong in MK11 or whatever

Very true, although I personally found that while in fighting games those longer combos would often translate into victories, those more complex combos usually wouldn't help you out in higher Survival levels or Mania+ since the toughest areas are not you against one skilled opponent, but you against 4 knife-wielding Galsia's and 4 sword-wielding Z's all charging in to cut you up and unless the stars align and you can get literally every one of them caught in your combo starter, those long-rear end combo's just get you shanked in the back by the one dude loitering out of your reach, relieving you of that half-bar of green health you used to keep the combo flowing.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well I feel very dumb, I'm going through the training because its been a while since I've played, and why not?

And I'm stuck. What on earth is it looking for here? I rapidly press X 3 times then hold to charge on the 4th and its not having it. Punch, Punch 2 and back fist work fine. What am I doing wrong?

I believe it expects you to release attack just a little bit sooner. Apparantly the permitted window between the third attack and the charge attack hitting is rather small.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lobok posted:

The thing about the Random sim is that sometimes you are given a choice between two things that aren't necessarily perks. Like ok great, do I want to not be able to jump or not be able to use health pickups.

The health drain-at-the-expense-of-health-items-being-broken is one of those perks that cripples you early on but becomes more and more attractive as you progress and health items become more and more sparse.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Mr.Tophat posted:

I'm thinking it's not a good idea, but I'll be damned if it isn't fun for the few stages you roam around like some murder machine until some boss takes all of your life out in one hit

It's even more fun when you have the "gain HP on hit" perk, unload a Star Move on a crowd of mooks and immediately watch your HP meter go from "nearly dead" to "full".

Lobok posted:

Oh, for real? I was wondering how co-op worked, like if one player died did the other just sit there and watch. So the Survival only ends if both players are dead at the same time? Does the revive work anytime or only once the enemies are gone?

After a room is cleared, the option to revive all dead players appears as a perk. So you can revive people and they'll be restored to full health, but if you have to revive someone after every stage, you'll never get any perks.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
My best run in the weekly sim was level 33, although most of my playthroughs ended around level 20. That's around where the game starts racking up the bullshit like multiple bosses, multiple PC-clones or large hordes of red enemies who swarm you like fire ants on a picnic and whose attacks do huge damage. I also frequently get tripped by stages that limit or inhibit your mobility (like the airplane carrier with both a slippery floor and lightning strikes) while at the same time throwing very mobile enemies (Mr Y, Ms Y, kickboxers) at you or enemies who can snipe you from afar. (Mr Y, the DJs)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

So SOR 1 characters have the crazy base damage, SOR 3 characters have the benefit of running, and SOR 4 characters have the benefit of a bigger toolkit of moves than most others, but what about SOR2 characters? They seem strictly worse than their SOR3 counterparts unless I'm missing something?

SOR3 characters seem to do less damage with their moves than their SOR2 counterparts, although they're quicker. I haven't really seen in-depth comparisons between the SOR2 vs SOR3 characters, but I played SOR2 Blaze and I find it hard to believe she's worse than SOR3 Blaze because she's LOL-broken despite not being able to run. Her basic combo does more damage than her SOR4, SOR3 and SOR1 counterparts, her back attack also hits in front and can infinite in the corner if you get the timing right. Her blitz1 is a gigantic bundle of iframes that can buffer into itself and her star2 creates a giant danger zone on the floor that lasts for quite a while, more or less gets ignored by enemy AI and can do ludicrous damage in the corner.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

exquisite tea posted:

SOR2 Blaze used to be one of the worst characters in the game because her blitz attack would go right over common enemies and she could get punched out of her basic combo string. She's probably a little better now with the alternate moveset and sheer brokenness of multi-hit blitz attacks.

LOL. I'm not sure a LITTLE better is the right phrase to use here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEjxKb1oDeI

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Xand_Man posted:

What alt. moves do y'all like? I've been pretty underwhelmed by everything except Shiva's alt. blitz.

There's quite a few moves that are fun to play around with.

Blaze2's alt star move creates an environmental hazard that sticks around for a long time, juggles enemies within its AOE to death and enemy AI doesn't know how to deal with it well.

All of Axel's alternative blitzes are geared towards increasing his mobility, which was a weakness with Grand Upper and Axel3's alt blitz can either be done as-is with really short cooldown or once you've confirmed a hit, you can press attack a second time to kick them upwards and follow up with a second blitz or another move.

Skate3's alt blitz combos into itself and is an infinite in the corner. Skate2's alt blitz isn't quite as broken, but is good for plowing through crowds and hitting enemies on the ground. Ditto with Cherry's alt blitz.

Max2's alt star move turns him into a human lawmower who can buzz around the field gathering enemies and keeping them juggled in the corner.

Max4's alt defensive special has a vacuum effect that stuns nearby enemies and drags them in for further punishment. His alt blitz beats practically any attack in terms of priority and also allows you to do the "gently caress you, I've got armor"-thing to enemies that bosses were able to do to you. (although unfortunately since you still take damage, armoring through an attack still breaks your combo)

Blaze4's alt blitz is another crowd-buster that can beat lots of enemy attacks.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Agreed re the spread of powerups, but gently caress level 33 - I've dies on it solo and in co-op about a dozen times now, and for some reason can't get past even the first wave of enemies. I think that there's some sort of massive enemy scaling increase at this stage because 2-3 light hits seems to basically finish me off.

Yes, level 33 is where enemies suddenly get a huge damage increase.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Does anyone know specifically what Max's iron will star power actually does? From what I can see it gives you armour and makes all damage green damage for its duration, but are there any other effects?

That's pretty much it as far as I've been able to tell. It's pretty nifty for certain single player sections since you can just jump into the middle of a crowd and go ham with his extremely damaging combos without the risk of being jabbed out of it or being knocked down by those pesky slides, uppercuts or jump kicks. It's not particularly good for higher levels of survival mode since enemies simply do too much damage to facetank with Iron Will.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

On the plus side they're making that new ninja turtles game that looks sweet as gently caress.

Yeah, but that's a different development team.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I was never a fan of Shiva's Final Crash blitz because it's a combo ender for a character who has an alternative, more damaging combo ender in his air combo string, but I'm now a convert: in Survival mode specifically when you've picked up an extra jump he becomes an unstoppable beast. You can use the double jump to cancel the final crash into an air combo and do all sorts of fuckery to deal additional damage with his specials, and the Final Crash seems to pick up a LOT of people with it. Bonus points if you have Electric and Fire Heavy, because if you end the air combo on a final D+P then enemies take the hit, proc the Fire element which gives them some upwards momentum, and also proc the electric element which makes them hang in midair, giving you enough time to hit another Final Crash or an air combo or pretty much anything you want.

It's amazing: they've made a scrolling beat-em-up with the mechanical complexity of a traditional 2-D fighter.

Not to mention that if you pick up additional extra jumps, you can cancel his air combo into another air combo until you're literally off the screen.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

Why does Survival mode hate me so much?

Welp. This run's over.

Isn't bloodthirst pretty much essential beyond a certain point? Later levels get pretty darn Scroogey with healing items.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Breetai posted:

I do wish that they had tweaked the damage scaling down slightly in Survival in levels past 32. I can understand the delineation of 'okay you've completed the set of levels where things are remotely fair so now let's get nuts" but even playing custom survival where we each got every powerup my girlfriend and I still ended up eating poo poo on level 50 where despite us having 3*Defense Up + 2* Survival Instinct a single blast from a fire-breathing fat guy was enough to completely delete our full health bars.

Wasn't there a "enemies scale" option added to the survival mode or does that do something else?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jerkface posted:

We got to level 24 :toot:

I think the key is dodging buddy powerups. He always wants to pick them but they die too fast on later levels to be useful.

Buddy powerups stack though, so if you can get several of them, the resulting Barbon or Commissioner can take quite a beating before going down. And they make for a nice decoy since any enemies that are attacking the buddy aren't attacking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Aces High posted:

If it's the one that crosses the whole screen, I think your best hope is to do an aerial special after it lands on a spot.

Though on the topic of DLC stuff, I decided to buy again on Steam, and it feels different on Mania+. Were the extra arcade cabinets for minibosses always there, and I just haven't played it in so long? I can't remember them being there in the GOG release

No, they weren't there back when the DLC first came out. The cursed arcade machines (and the buff in Mania+ difficulty) were patched in later.