Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Absolutely loved this series. Personally my biggest fear for games like this is that it will not only be terrible but in doing so will also ruin my blissful memories of what playing these games for hours was like. It's been the main reason I don't want to buy Shenmue 3.

Also was just wondering if this series was made to compete with Final Fight on SNES or were all the sytems trying to get into the market after Double Dragons success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
Have to say I quite enjoyed Final Fight as well.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020
My go to games were SoR, The strike series (Jungle strike, Desert strike, Urban strike?) and a game called General Chaos, not sure how many of you played that game but god it was fun so many hours of enjoyment out of the Sega. I got turned into a Sega fanboy after that and still own every Sega console to this day other then the Game Gear which my dad randomly gave away to a family down the street while I was at school because their children weren't well off and he felt sorry for them. I still have bitterness haha.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

:hmmyes: The more I see of your posting the more I like it.

Very similar, though I started a year or two earlier with a Master System that was fairly cheap because the Mega Drive was nearly upon us* but it was SEGA consoles for years, didn't change until I was completely blown away by the PlayStation's unbelievable 3D graphics and how wild games like WipeOut and Battle Arena Toshinden were.

I can still remember when I was very young and had just spent a summer playing the Master System version of Sonic 2 and being in some electronics/gaming store and impressing the staff because they were messing around on their demo version of it, so I said I could do some wild minecart jump part they were stuck on and true to my word aced it on the first try.

*Actually my first was an Amstrad CPC but the less said about that massive sack of poo poo the better - just that it's a miracle I ended up liking videogame at all after that being my first exposure.

My memory is a little rough but it was the master system that had the door you could close and had Alex the Kid in built right?

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

flashy_mcflash posted:

If someone made a version of Streets of Rage with a character creation feature and all the moves from the WWE games I would basically never have to buy another game again.

I'm not sure how that would sell with the diehards though. Getting off track I think the best WWE game that gave my friends and I hours of fun was WWE No Mercy on the N64.

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah, a game I never got any good at lol, also imagine thinking Alex Kidd was going to go up against Mario. Thank God someone invented Sonic.

Doesn't matter if you weren't any good just remember the paper scissors rock games haha

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

Ms Adequate posted:

Yep, definitely this. And back in those days chances were strong that kids like us were lucky to get more than one or two games a year - birthday and Christmas - so you were more or less stuck with whatever grandma had bought, and maybe you could convince dad to take you to Blockbuster to rent something for the weekend because your best buddies from school are sleeping over. Anyway the point is you had very little capacity for changing your options when you made them/they were made for you. If that meant you were co-oping through Streets of Rage II between bouts of Road Rash, then great, but it could also mean you and the boys were trying to co-op through Battletoads and had merely Shaq Fu for backup, and so you played Battletoads and Shaq Fu, quality be damned. (Mom and dad had already started drinking and settled in to watch whatever they rented from Blockbuster, some weird boring adult thing no doubt, so you sure as hell weren't getting a second shot at that).

Man everything you said you nailed 100%, thinking back to those times with mates sitting in bean bags and laying on the floor. One of the guys from school had a game guide magazine which he took from his older brother who was away for the weekend so we only had access to it for a short time. We used an electric typewriter and typed the guide out word for word so we could put the magazine back unnoticed so we didn't get beaten up haha. Toe jam & Earl was our back up game. Good times, bloody good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deacon91
Apr 18, 2020

deep dish peat moss posted:

General Chaos was great, probably a quarter of all of my childhood arguments were about whether it was better to pick the two directly-controllable soldiers or the 5 RTS-style soldier group. (Hint: it was the 2 soldiers)

There was a kick starter by the creators a few years back, I was so unhappy it never reached its goals.