Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Thanks for the tips everyone, I was having similar problems and googling 'biker BBWs' returned nothing but a series of unrelated short documentary films featuring variable cinematic quality and universally poor commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
If you pick up a knife after the fight with Jack in the arcade machine in the prison, and exit the machine, the knife will stay in your hand and it will still be in the old art style. This game is full of neat little touches.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone else find Cherry relatively difficult to do combos (particularly juggle combos) with? Maybe it's because the last character I played with was Blaze who seems to be able to cancel just about anything into anything else, but I'm not really finding much working outside of her bog standard p, p, p, p, ff+p. Hitting her dash attack out of anything that launches seems to do okay damage, but there doesn't seem to be much you can do to extend it after you hit it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I want DLCs that replicate each of the original SOR games in full including new SOR 4 art for all of the characters who haven't been done in SOR 4 yet, the option to play any of SOR 1-4 using new or megadrive-era graphics for all of the characters/enemies (including 16-bit graphics for the new SOR 4 characters), as well as the ability to play as any character in all 4 games from bosses to enemies.

I want to beat Streets of Rage with Galsia.

As it stands, the only thing not making this game an 11/10 is that hitting Barbon with Max's offensive special doesn't make him lose his entire health bar due to insane amounts of blockstun chip damage like it did in #2.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

As much as I love the old Genesis games, SoRR is really all you need nowadays. It's got everything!

Enemies constantly retreating offscreen makes that game an exercise in frustration. I appreciate the effort that went into making it and including all of the enemies and levels and playstyles from all of the games, but the AI issues and the fact that you spend 85% of your time trying to gently coax enemies to come into punching range means that by comparison to every official SOR game it plays like dogshit.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JBP posted:

Everyone shits on Axel but his air special is epic and solves basically every single problem in the game. Even if you miss, you're basically going to be safe.

I quite like Axel, and get good anti-boss mileage out off P P P, grand upper, cancel into defensive special, cancel into star move, then special them again on the way down for good measure.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Bloodly posted:

Well, Nora already does that(Heals and ressurects, too). Maybe her gimmick should be buffed, too?

Each Galsia she whips splits into two knife-wielding Galsias.

In her second phase they're carrying naginatas.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
One thing that really throws me still about SOR4 is the removal of defensive special as an option for combo breaking.

The new juggle system is awesome, but occasionally you'll end up on the receiving end of it and eat massive amounts of poo poo with no recourse.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just finished my first game on Hard using a combination of Floyd and Axel, and harder difficulty levels really do force you to get better. Even outside of enemy numbers and health, not having as many lives really reduces the margin of error. Going to try Hardest next.

Does anybody have recommendations for good basic bread and butter combos for any character? Not infinites (or even requiring special usage), but basic stuff for use against regular mooks.

Best I've worked out for Axel is P, P, P, grab F+P, F+P, F+P (launch) then juggle with P, P, Grand Upper.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Hector Delgado posted:

I'm stuck on Skytrain hardest at the moment with Floyd. I usually don't like slow characters but throwing fools off the elevators is extremely effective (and satisfying). Hard was no problem, no retrys. I watched a streamer beat arcade on Mania and that looks miserable.

Two commissioners in the Estel fight is no loving joke. Only way I managed to beat it was a lot of throw related i-frame abuse.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Gotten up to The Concert on Hardest, and Floyd really seems to be the go-to for higher difficulty levels.It's not just that his basic combo flows really easily into his Dash attack, which combined with his reach makes him startlingly effective at melee against grouped enemies, but the unique nature of his throws is really effective: both at general crowd control/damaging groups of enemies a fair way away, and defensively as well. Being able to pick someone up and reposition before throwing means that not only can I knock other enemies down, but in desperate situations it's really easy to use i-frames to avoid annoying things like the punk girls' jumping attacks etc. First attempt on Y Tower at this difficulty level and I got through with 2 lives to spare.

I also really appreciate the difference in animation when you trigger your defensive special while holding an enemy.

Is the bump in difficulty to Mania bigger, smaller, or about the same as the bump between Hard and Hardest?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just beat The Concert on Hardest for the first time, and the amount of egregious frontloaded bullshit going on is incredible. First you get annihilated by a group of Donovans who throw/strike with spiked baseball bats. Then it's all aboard for juggle city as a bunch of BBBWs and grenade spammers bounce you around the screen (my record was getting piledriven onto a grenade that exploded me into a charge attack that landed me next to another grenade that also exploded). Then near the end a fight with a duo of cyborgs with a wrecking ball providing opportunities to get whacked when avoiding their telekinetic attack.

The boss was an absolute piece of piss by comparison.

At this rate it looks like I'll have to use assists on my later Mania playthrough, it took me 3 or 4 tries to get to the boss on this one.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 9, 2020

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone have any tips on how to take care of the jump kicking motherfukers in that ridiculous two-dimensional part of the boat? Mania is a whole new ballgame.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Frankston posted:

Finally beat arcade mode on mania difficulty :woop:

You mad bastard. Which character?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Cat Machine posted:

Probably the most underrated part of Axel's toolset and the main reason I don't think he's as lame a duck as people say. He doesn't have crazy damage output or combo potential, but I feel like his survivability is really high compared to other characters - especially on Mania when the game sometimes throws ridiculously huge crowds at you. The buffs he's potentially getting in this new build are going to make him hella fun to play.

Ooh, what buffs is he getting?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

redreader posted:

It's super rare that I get my wife to play console games that aren't jackbox but she actually will sit down and play this with me for half an hour at a time. The only other game she ever played this much with me was Castle Crashers. This makes it a 20/20 for me.

You need to play overcooked 1&2 with her.

Both games are fantastic regardless of how much you normally play games.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Oh gently caress.

Here it comes.

I'm up to Y tower on mania.

Managed to clear art gallery with Alex on my first try without boosts tho, so I'm getting the hang of the difficulty level.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I kinda wish that they'd gone with the implementation of special usage as in SOR3 with regards to that slowly-charging meter that gives you the occasional 'free' special, because between the fact that they no longer break you out of blockstun and the fact that some characters' specials make you take up to 1/5 a health bar of damage means that I'm frequently doing playthroughs (including my Mania playthrough) without touching specials at all. They're just too risky a proposition/not useful enough.

It's still the greatest beat-em-up of all time, through; don't get me wrong.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

On higher difficulties it's better to imagine your specials as staggered damage that you would have taken from enemies and food as a damage reset button. Putting all those on a cooldown would basically make Mania impossible.

Oh, by all means keep the ability to heal the damage back by hitting people. Just make it so that using specials sparingly doesn't all of a sudden make a single errant Galsia jab remove a quarter of your health.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Kiranamos posted:

That’s Galsia’s only job, though. How could you do this to him?

Galsia's job involves a knife and an oversized hitbox. 🙃

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Otg?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Is it just me, or is SOR3 Axel an absolute loving beast?

The Grand Upper seems to be able to cancel out of anything, the offensive special has very little health penalty (a single jab+GU is generally enough to get all of the health loss back) and is completely invincible for its duration (and as far as I can see is the best way of killing guys with shields), his normal hits HURT, and he's capable of about a 12-hit combo with just p+p+p+p, pause, p+p+p+p+GU. His throw bounce is a bit poo poo and can't really be used for setting up combos, but the GU tends to bounce people sufficiently high for that anyway.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
After 1 hour and 42 minutes I managed to get the 100 Yen achievement (finish Arcade mode on Hard) with Adam. If anyone hasn't played Arcade mode I'd definitely recommend it; it becomes all about long-term strategy in order to carefully preserve health and maximise lives. You start off with a couple more lives that you normally do on the respective difficulty level you're playing, but you don't automatically get additional lives at the beginning of each level and only get a new life every 30,000 points.

Highlights were losing 2(!) lives on the Galsia room in Chinatown, going from 80% health to losing a life in one juggle in The Concert in the section with the bikers and the punks throwing grenades, and losing a life to the last environmental hazard prior to the boss on the train, and then beating the boss without taking damage. There's a bunch of stuff in certain parts of the game that you'd normally be able to absorb due to getting your lives reset on the next level, but which can really hurt your run on Arcade, but if you play carefully enough you should be okay.

Also remember that your stars DO reset each level, so spam them at the boss as much as possible.

Realizing that when DJ K-Washi stands up and charges his shield directly after being knocked down he still takes health damage until the shield is full was a big help. You can actually kill him in 3-4 shield breaks.

Tangentially, I REALLY like the room just before the boss fights on Y Island with the fat guys and the spiked wrecking ball. Half the time I barely even need to do anything because they just get the ball swinging and beat each other to death by rolling into each other. It was cathartic.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Aces High posted:

I finally got a Perfect stage, man that was probably the hardest thing to do, it is so easy to get cheapshotted by a Galsia even on lower difficulties

Easiest way to do this for anyone attempting is to do stage 1 as Floyd on Easy and just constantly spam his stomp attacks.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

JBP posted:

I beat arcade hard with Floyd :)

I tried to beat it with axel, got to stage 12 and died twice because everything has super armour and it's a lolly scramble due to all your poo poo leaving you wide open. I also had two guys stand up in the middle of my air special and punch me???? That was the end of the game.

The bald black dudes, right? The last levels basically have an elite variant of them that do an armoured uppercut on wakeup if you're anywhere near them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Useful little chart detailing damage values for every single move and more besides.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1kE6aSEQqfsscqPXlS8H7ZH65zmK_q8Bi-xgRo3krDZU/htmlview

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Training dummy mode for combo practice.

Custom difficulty levels with discrete modifiers (eg easy mode special self damage with hard mode enemy placement and 500% enemy health).

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

exquisite tea posted:

In addition to the documented nerfs, it seems like enemies are a lot more "fair" about cheapshotting you out of hitstun, even Donovans and lovely rear end Zs.

Yeah, I played through the first 2 levels on Hardest this morning and while it's definitely easier, that's mainly down to me not getting hit due to stuff outside of my own control.

Diva's kick losing armour is definitely a plus, because she could always trigger it in an instant and hit it out of nowhere; I've lost count of the number of times that I've had to restart a boss rush right at the beginning because she's sprung it on me multiple times or kicked me into another enemy's attacks and just wrecked me with it.

Sad to see the spiked ball in the fat guy room in stage 12 go though. It was very cathartic to watch them inadvertently destroy each other with it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

DLC Inc posted:

Being able to hit with so much more stuff OTG is loving amazing. Grand Upper hitting harder, faster, more reach and having OTG properties alone makes Axel the beast he should have been. Feels like he just hits harder in general now, he's up to snuff with the other 4 at last.

Blaze's combo ender kick feels like it now rockets enemies a lot farther horizontally or maybe it's just me? Seems like it was tinkered with to make it not as braindead to combo with her but maybe it's just me that she feels much faster now.

If you can corner the level 3 boss against the wall with the spikes, you can do obscene amounts of damage by comboing her into them, and then GUing her off of the ground into them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Axel's charge kick is a thing of beauty for crowd control.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Surprisingly useful aspect of the Grand Upper now hitting grounded enemies is that you can use it on groups of enemies that have been knocked down in succession (but not simultaneously) in order to make them all get up at the same time. It's a bit situational, but it helps to avoid situations where you're pressuring a group of downed opponents, start to hit the first one standing, and then someone else gets up between your strikes and hits you. It's definitely quite useful on Hardest+.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Room full of fat guys on Y Island is NO JOKE on Hardest. There's at least a dozen of them, and they can wreck your poo poo now that the spike ball isn't there.

Ms Y is a bit of a challenge, too, I might need to reevaluate who to boot into the crab first.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Give them Naginatas. :unsmigghh:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The fire snake lady.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Does anyone know of a good way to handle the fat guy gauntlet in level 12? It's the main barrier to completion, and the rolling guys in particular are kicking my rear end on hardest.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I always liked him even pre patch due to him having good combo abilities against individual enemies, but now he's just an absolute monster and his crowd control abilities are second to none.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

100YrsofAttitude posted:

He feels like a wrestler character with the way he casually tosses enemies aside, more so than anyone else, even Floyd who is just the strong-man.

I think I'm getting over Cherry. I love her mobility and bouncing on top of enemies is loads of fun, but requires rather good timing and her lack of throws is seriously detrimental. Blaze is still loads of fun and I can figure out combos with her the easiest since her toolkit is rather standard. Adam is also just insanely good, but he makes it feel too easy. It's what I about Axel now. A big muscle boy just sauntering around and just destroying your face.

Floyd is still very definitely the grappling master, even more so than max, simply by virtue of his ability to grab and move (and he makes the third boss into a joke). Blaze is cool, Adam is okay and used to be king of the mountain, but his reliance on a standard combo that launches way too early makes him lackluster in comparison with Axel, while his charge attack feels underpowered and seems to knock down only rarely.

Can't get a handle on Cherry. Her damage is way too low, and if there's a way to consistently hit highly damaging combos with her, particularly on grouped enemies, it's beyond me.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Do sor 1 characters really hit all that much harder though? Sure their basic combo is fairly meaty, but most sor 4 characters have basic strike/grapple/blitz combinations without even using specials that do well in excess of a full bar of damage.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Use Floyd and just walk around smashing heads together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

AwesomeDude posted:

What are some good tips for playing as Cherry? I really like her speed, but her damage output seems so low compared to everyone else.

Chain her blitz attack at the end of every single combo you can, and when you knock somebody down hit them while they're on the ground with her offensive super (guitar smash).