Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

My understanding is that actually a lancer can’t inflict unconscious unless the soldier has been previously wounded at least once this mission, so you didn’t get nearly as lucky as you thought. That gatekeeper choosing to float idly around instead of doing 7 damage to everyone probably made up the difference though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Dead Reckoning posted:

That giant faceless/zerker pod would have been a great time to use Shepard's Void Rift: they're all relatively weak mentally, so there's a good chance of panicking or mind controlling a few and letting you focus on the rest.

I think this is where FairGame's unwillingness to use the psyker really showed. Big pod in a small space - an ideal target. Of course it didn't matter in the end, end-game troops being as powerful as they are. I'm looking forward to the grand finale!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well that was quite an evil place to cut the video off.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
A pod of basic Advent infantry isn't going to do anything at this point, even if they get full turns.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

And at last, the LP is finished. What a loving year.

My thanks to all of you who were patient with me as I worked through some poo poo; I hope you enjoyed it.

For what it's worth, for those of you who followed me from the XCOM Long War thread: while the last year has been loving terrible for lots of micro and macro reasons, my health has improved immensely. I'm not 100%, and never will be, but it turns out getting off the vegan diet made a huge difference. Frank Reynolds had it right all along: gotta have an egg during this trying time. Anyway, had I not been playing on the PS4 here, I absolutely could have narrated the back half of this LP. At some point in the future I'll do another LP, this time with voice narration. Hopefully Chimera Squad, though I'll have to wait to build a new computer before I can do that. Anyway, I sincerely hope 2021 is better for all of us.

All best,
Your Pal FairGame, shooter of various aliens

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

It's missing the subtitles for me.

vvv No apology necessary! Now to watch the video :)

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 9, 2021

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DTurtle posted:

It's missing the subtitles for me.

I failed to press publish after I saved them. Fixed now, and sorry for the inconvenience.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Have you thought about playing Phoenix Point? Its a better successor to Xcom than XCOM.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Yaaay good job fairgame!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

So, after watching:

1. Codexes appear, you say: I have to take care of them otherwise I'm in trouble, proceed to ignore them for most of the turn, one survives and you're in trouble :D
2. Wow, that is a lot of aliens appearing, I can really see how you will be quickly overwhelmed.
3. If the Chosen are still alive: Do they appear with the various alien pods porting in? How impossible is it with them still active?

Thanks for the great LP!

You made the game look easy. I think the commentating through the subtitles worked really well.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

:nice: You saved the day again unaccountable military death squad :911:

Were the aliens getting bonuses to dodges in that mission or what because wow there were a lot of them.

Anyways fun times all around, great to see something I could never do, thank you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DTurtle posted:

1. Codexes appear, you say: I have to take care of them otherwise I'm in trouble, proceed to ignore them for most of the turn, one survives and you're in trouble :D
2. Wow, that is a lot of aliens appearing, I can really see how you will be quickly overwhelmed.
3. If the Chosen are still alive: Do they appear with the various alien pods porting in? How impossible is it with them still active?

The chosen do show up at the end, and it's loving rough

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Dan & Grace did an XCOM2 LP where, true to disorganized and haphazard form, they didn't wipe out the chosen before the end level, and they do show up, but not all at once. There's one early on in the level, one just before the transition to the final battle arena, and one in along with the avatars. Not sure if that order is fixed but for D&G they went Assassin, Hunter, and Warlock respectively.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2021

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Congrats Fair! Great job!

Oh my that fan fire though :allears:

sincx posted:

I never figured out how to do the last room correctly. I had to use the "camp outside the entrance and bait the avatars over" strategy.
I just set up a base of fire in one of the corners and keep my troops together in order to minimize avatar teleport options and concentrate fire. You end up with one gate at your back, but if you can neutralize any pod coming out of that, your odds are good. I also bring lots of guaranteed/armor ignoring damage like soulfire, hail of bullets, and combat protocol, because once you get down to one avatar, you can guarantee a 1-turn kill.

Also the Warlock's rifle does double damage against psionic enemies, including Avatars.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Good job, FairGame! Things were getting pretty hectic in there, yet you got the job done.

I know why you didn't go hunting for the other Ruler armours - it is a huge ball-ache, especially that bastard Archon King. I found the Archon armour really, really helps with mobility and getting your sniper all set up, and the RAGE SUIT mounts a heavy weapon. Panicking Mutons and Archons is just the cherry on top.

sincx posted:

I never figured out how to do the last room correctly. I had to use the "camp outside the entrance and bait the avatars over" strategy.

FairGame did a good job of saving most of his toys for the last room. There are other things you could do - give your Spark the skill Bombard or Nova for AoE damage, bring lots of WAR suits for heavy weapons, bring team-mates with high-level bonds. I usually split my forces and camp each group at either end of the big central block, and then mind-control some archons to buy time. Then again, I don't play on the highest difficulties.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks so much for this LP and the Long War LP. Your aggressive style really and commentary makes these a blast to follow, hope you're back to LP another game in the future.. I also hope 2021 treats us all better as well.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Congrats FG! Thanks for the LP!

Definitely wish you, and everyone else here, a much better 2021 overall than 2020 has been.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Just had a chance to watch this final episode! I really like the last battle. I know you call it horrible, and I get that they have to be a little cheesy by just dumping untold quantities of bullshit, but I'm glad it's a challenge, and not much else could be by that point, as we've seen in other late-game episodes. But you fought your way through it as expertly as everything else, and it's been a fun ride! Thanks for sticking through it despite all the health and other issues. Hope to see some Chimera Squad some day when your computer has a solid upgrade (or replacement).

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, thanks! This has been really entertaining and we all appreciate it that you hung in there to see it through. I hope this year treats you better than the last!
[edit]Also that null lance being unable to hit both avatars was bullshit

Speaking of x-com-likes, I've been keeping one eye on phantom doctrine recently - it looks interesting, has anyone played it?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yeah, thanks! This has been really entertaining and we all appreciate it that you hung in there to see it through. I hope this year treats you better than the last!
[edit]Also that null lance being unable to hit both avatars was bullshit

Speaking of x-com-likes, I've been keeping one eye on phantom doctrine recently - it looks interesting, has anyone played it?

Yeah, it's... okay. Can't remember too much of it except a couple of the voices being incredibly irritating. Wouldn't really recommend it unless you really want a janky coldwarpunk Invisible Inc

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Congrats on getting through it! Thanks for this, it was a blast.

Malah
May 18, 2015

eating only apples posted:

Congrats on getting through it! Thanks for this, it was a blast.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Well done Commander Fairgame. I look forward to your next command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Robert Deadford posted:

FairGame did a good job of saving most of his toys for the last room. There are other things you could do - give your Spark the skill Bombard or Nova for AoE damage, bring lots of WAR suits for heavy weapons, bring team-mates with high-level bonds. I usually split my forces and camp each group at either end of the big central block, and then mind-control some archons to buy time. Then again, I don't play on the highest difficulties.
The step up to Commander really isn't that bad. If you've beat the game once, you'll be fine.

I have a ton of things I do to run my playbook for the final room. I'll spare everyone the details, except to note that an Avatar afflicted by Void Conduit cannot teleport.