Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man. I've wanted a game like this really badly about 14 years ago. Not just this game specifically, but the entire project that you're doing. Teching up is always my favorite thing to do in 4x and RTS games. So something that follows the progress of humanity from no techs, all the way up to a spacefaring civilization is going to be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Good job surviving the winter. I wasn't able to tell. Is it possible to micro so that when you have someone go into the tent, and someone leave, the person going to the tent can give the person leaving the warm clothes?

I got the urge to watch some more of this, so I fired up another LP. He had a normal start as opposed to your story start of running away from some catastrophe, plus, he had regular research costs. By the hour and fifteen minute mark, about where you are now, he's got 20 people in the village and one tech away from being done with the mesolithic. He's also blazing through it and not showing anything off. This means I need to wait on you to continue this series to get my fix.

Speaking of getting my fix. I'm thinking of getting this. Are there any advantages to get it from Steam as opposed to GoG? I tend to support GoG over Steam when I can.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 21, 2020

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm pretty sure those fish aren't hung in pairs, but rather cut open on the dorsal side, gutted, and hung while still connected by their ventral side. You can see daylight through the gills of the fish in the foreground, and one of the background racks have the fish hanging in the other direction so you can see the insides.

Rarity posted:

I believe SS said in the previous video that you can only have one of each type of spiritual building

You can have more than one, but each person can't take advantage of more than one of the same type within the cooldown period. If we're faced with a backlog of people trying to use the skull pole, then it would make sense to make more. I wasn't paying close attention, but I don't think there was a backlog.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Goodbye to the patriarch.

The black borders are back, and I see what's going on. The first and most recent video are 1440p, but the content is only 1080p, hence the borders. The other three videos have the content and the video both at 1080p, hence no borders.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's some environmental options, but they seem rather limited.

There's a mod that adds some more realism, but it's still working withing those limits.
https://www.nexusmods.com/dawnofman/mods/12

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doge protecc,
He also attacc.

On the topic of tanning, one possibility is that someone noticed that fats repel water. By rubbing hides with animal fat, they could achieve a degree of water resistance. They would have also discovered that this causes hides to last longer before getting moldy. During times of plenty, you could experiment with rubbing other things on spare hides and seeing how well it worked.

Speaking of pregnancies. Aside from baby-making, are there any other bits of sexual dimorphism in this game?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello Mesolithic.

Let's put this journey a little into perspective. The paleolithic is older than humans. It's older than Homo. It started about 3.3 million years ago. That's when hominins first started using stone tools. Anatomically modern humans are about 200,000 years old, and behaviorally modern humans about 50,000 years old.The mesolithic started as early as 20,000 years ago in the Near East and 14,000 years ago in SE Europe. In Western and Central Europe, it lines up with the start of the Holocene, 11,500 years ago, but more on that later.

3.3 million years is obviously a long time, so the paleolithic is itself divided into three subdivisions, lower, middle, and upper paleolitic. The lower paleolithic starts 3 million years ago. I'm not sure if that's rounding issues from two different sources, or that's how long it took from the discovery of stone tools until the wide adoption of them and that's when the lower paleolithic starts. It continues until about 300,000 years ago. During this period, you have the emergence of the Homo genus, and most of the species in that genus. Worthy of note are Homo Habilis (named as such because it was believed to be the first user of tools, but that's not the case), and Homo Erectus (upright or standing man). There are arguments based off of skull shape that Homo Habilis should be reclassified as Australopithecus Habilis. This period was marked obviously by the invention of stone tools. Aside from that, prominent advances included language, as well as the transition from scavengers that supplanted their diet with fruit to hunters. This probably happened at the start of the Pleistocene (aka. the last ice age), 2.5 million years ago, when reduced evaporation, and therefore reduce rainfall, caused savannas to expand into what had once been forests, disturbing the food supply and habitat of prehistoric man. There were also several migrations out of Africa, but not the the main migration out of Africa of modern humans. The last common ancestor of Humans, Neanderthals, and Denisovans lived about 800,000 years ago.

About 300,000 years ago, the middle paleolithic or middle stone age starts. It's confusing that middle stone age refers to the middle paleolithic and not the mesolithic, even though mesolithic literally means middle stone age, but I digress. The middle paleolithic lasted until 50,000 years ago. During this time period, you saw the rise of art, including beads, drawings, and the use of ochre. Fishing and the hunting in groups for large game also arose in this period. The oldest ceremonial burials date back to this time period, although there's some evidence that burial could be even older than that. Fire is another point of uncertainty. There's evidence that fire was first used in the lower paleolithic, and even cooking is as old as 1.9 million years, but it didn't get widespread use until the end of the lower paleolithic, or the start of the middle paleolithic.

200,000 years ago, saw the emergence of anatomically modern humans, but some sources point to as early as 300,000 years ago. Neanderthals arose about 250,000 years ago (although as mentioned previously, they already diverged 800,000 years ago). The middle paleolithic saw much more complex tools, composite tools (attaching a bone or flint spearhead to a wooden shaft). You also get clothing invented during this time.

The upper paleolithic is where things start picking up and get interesting. Starting at 50,000 years ago, this coincides with the rise of behaviorally modern humans, although that's a controversial claim. During this time period, you have the explosion of H. sapiens migration across Europe and Asia, as well as the extinction of Neanderthals and Denisovans. There's controversy on whether this was an active extermination/genocide, outcompetition, or crossbreeding, but with one side having a larger population and dominating the genetic aftermath. Whatever it was, all humans, aside from sub-Saharan Africans, have 1-4% of their DNA coming from Neanderthals.

Neanderthals in my DNA? It's more likely than you think. posted:

These are some anatomical features that you can credit your neanderthal ancestors:
Occipital bun, worse throwing ability, body hair, Rh- blood type, or a face that extends beyond just the lower half of your head.

Neanderthal skull volume was about the same as Homo sapiens, but they had a smaller neocortex. This meant they had a small Dunbar number (the number of people you can comfortably know), and by extension had smaller tribes. Nevertheless, they had systems of trade and communication. The last bastion of pure Neanderthals was probably in Basque country. The Basque people have a higher proportion of Neanderthal characteristics than the surrounding areas.

There is a major problem that would have affected the cross breeding Rh negative Neanderthals with Rh positive Sapiens. An Rh-negative woman who conceives a Rh-positive child with a Rh-positive man will typically bear her first child without special problems. However, because of intermingling of fluids between mother and fetus, the first pregnancy builds up antibodies to Rh+ blood in the woman which typically attack the blood of her subsequent Rh+ children, causing them to miscarry, be stillborn, or die shortly after birth (infant haemolytic disease).

If you want to crawl down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories, read up on Edenism. It's a crazy conspiracy theory on the origins of the human race, and all the various types of prehistoric man.

With all other human species extinct, Homo sapiens had free reign in the world. There are flutes, and signs of oceangoing and deep sea fishing. You get figurines of animals, and then later of humans. 33,000 years ago, we find domesticated dogs. 29,000 years ago, ovens. 28,000 years ago is the oldest twisted rope we've found, but that is an easily perishable item that could have existed long before the oldest preserved evidence of it. 25,000 years ago gives us both clay figurines (but not yet vessels), and the first permanent human settlement.

22,000 years ago marks the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM), the furthest extent glaciers made towards the equator.
20,000 years ago, you have the first pottery vessel (in china), and the start of the epipaleolithic or mesolithic in the Levant. This is where inception now stands.

If I haven't bored you with the wall of text yet, here's a quick summary of the techs so far:

Paleolithic:
Bone tools: 1.5 million years ago.
Composite tools/flint working: No idea
Leather: No idea
Slings: Some point in the upper paleolithic, but they degrade and haven't been preserved, so we don't know when they emerged.
Spirituality: 130,000 years ago. No idea when totems were first made though.
Dog Domestication/training: 33,000 years ago (but the oldest uncontroverted remains are only 14,200 years old).

Mesolithic:
Ceramic pottery: 20,000 years ago

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShootaBoy posted:

Hell yes, I love this kind of poo poo, its part of why I like Dawn of Man so much in the first place.

Are there any books that examine this period, going over what life might have been like for the super early settlements, and their challenges and discoveries?

I'm not aware of any, but that's because I've just done a cursory overview of this period. What got me interested in this is figuring out how people came up with these ideas. I was primarily interested in bronze and iron since those are huge intuitive leaps. I hope to go into more of that later once SS gets to that point in the game.

Strategic Sage posted:

Roughly four years of gametime. Not all that long - though longer than it would be on default settings of course. The tedium of time passing is now going to be gradually replaced by the different-flavored tedium of the hunting minigame, as the growing population requires more and more of the resources that can only be acquired from the wildlife.

It doesn't help that you're playing reasonably/realistically as opposed to building, crafting, and hunting in order to get grind for knowledge as quickly as possible. While adding some realism, this does mean that knowledge is a slow commodity to accumulate.

The smart way to play this game is to use all of your villager's free time to craft a stupid amount of tools and weapons and trade them to traders either for raw materials, or more techs. The high amounts raw materials harvested combined with the high production of finished goods causes you to gain knowledge quickly, plus you pick up techs from traders. However, this highly inaccurate. What we can tell from modern hunter gatherer societies is that they have way more free time than we do. They hunt and gather mostly to a subsistence level, and then have the rest of their time devoted to other things. Invention usually isn't one of those things. Until you get into a society that values and rewards inventiveness, technological progress was either achieved through necessity or accident.

Strategic Sage posted:

Interesting overview General Revil. I found dates vary widely for most things depending on who you ask, which is one of many reasons why I'm cautious and speculative about any sort of firm conclusions regarding the timing of these things when it predates anything vaguely resembling scientific observation by so long. But, using the numbers you mention, that would mean so far we've 'covered' - in the sense of barely mentioning the most important aspects - ~3.28 million years of history in less than three hours of video length, or well over 300 years per second. Give or take, that's nearly 99% of the intended timeline.

We'll be slowing down just a tad from that perspective as matters proceed. .

Oh, the dates vary like crazy. Part of it is that as new remains are discovered, we learn more that we didn't know previously. This leads us to things like Homo habilis. It literally means "Handy man" in Latin (but not "handyman"), because people thought that was the first tool using species. Turns out, tools are older than that, and were first used by Australopithecus. Another example is how hominid has changed to include all great apes as our genetic understanding has improved and species have had their taxonomy reclassified. Hominin now means all humans and extinct ancient human species, which is what Hominid used to mean.
https://australianmuseum.net.au/learn/science/human-evolution/hominid-and-hominin-whats-the-difference/

However, another cause is that a lot of this is open to interpretation. We just catch tiny glimpses of the past from artifacts that we find. So much can be colored through bias, contaminated data, and random mistakes. Without getting too much into this before the iron age, there are a ton of issues with the African iron age. We know sub-saharan Africa did not have a bronze age, but it did have an iron age. Most of the data points to it being late compared to other cultures, but there's a disputed dig that puts the African iron age as starting before the bronze age elsewhere. The question is, if you disregard that data point and believe it's caused by contaminated charcoal (the charcoal is much older than the iron), are you disregarding it because of common sense and accepting the other evidence that says Africa had a late iron age, or is it coming from racial/cultural bias. However, the bias question also applies. If you accept the disputed dig site, are you following a long history of certain dig sites being able to completely overturn everything we thought we knew on a subject, or are you doing so from a racial/cultural bias in the other direction.

Then on top of all of that, the further back we go, the larger our error bars are. Any dates from the lower paleolithic can be safely assumed to have error bars measured in hundreds of thousands of years. So really, we just have a bunch of smart people making their best educated guesses and hoping it more or less makes sense.

As for the speed in which you've covered this, we can safely say you didn't start at the start of the paleolithic. These are clearly anatomically modern humans, so the earliest possible start could be 200,000-300,000 years ago, and needing an excuse for why they forgot how to shape bone tools. But, your backstory actually makes this a little plausible (not really, but if you squint really hard...).

You mentioned in the backstory that Varenkal and the women and children fled from some disaster, with Varenkal's spear and biface, and the rags on their backs. If we ignore the bone tools for a moment, because sadly I have no explanation for the lack of them, this could have started somewhere between the start of the upper paleolithic, and the domestication of dogs, so 33-50 thousand years ago. That can reduce the time compression to something more like 30,000 years in three hours, or 27 years per second.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just make sure it's a legit job, not a check scam. Don't worry about us, we'll stick around, even with the slipping schedule.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are both links supposed to point to the episode, or was the second one supposed to be something else?

Bread!

This is something that I'll go into a little more detail later, but a little info now. This is a big turning point for teeth. Grains have all the advantages SS mentioned in the video. However, they also brought about big problems for teeth. A carnivore diet is actually really healthy for your teeth. The bacteria that cause tooth decay thrive in carb-heavy mouth ecosystems. They digest leftover bits of carbs, and the acidic byproducts eat away at teeth. To make things even worse, using a mortar and pestle to grind grain into flour also grinds away some of the rock, which gets mixed with the flour and abrades teeth.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sounds like the next part is going to be the perfect time for me do my next background post. The Neolithic is really interesting.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's a bunch of info. I'll do a little summary of the mesolithic in a post soon. One thing I wanted to mention that you touched on in the video.

Agriculture is a lot more work intensive than hunting and gathering. It was far more work, led to a poorer, less diverse diet, destroyed teeth (again, more carbs, and abrasive rock dust in the flour), and probably shortened lifespans. The advantages though were that it increased the carrying capacity of the land, and could be stored for hard times in the future. You can easily find this "more work" aspect in nature. Herbivores spend most of their time eating because the food they eat is calorie poor. Carnivores spend very little time eating, even if you include time spent hunting under the "eating" category.

Like SS pointed out this stable and secure food source allowed the population to grow. Once it did, there was no going back to hunting and gathering. The population outgrew the carrying capacity of the land, and trying to go back to hunting and gathering would simply depopulate the land of game, and leave the humans to starve if they didn't stick to agriculture.

I also subscribe to the wave theory. The agricultural, industrial, and information revolutions are the three biggest changes in the way humans live. From a very high level view, you can even argue that these are the only three innovations that actually matter. Each of them fundamentally changed the way people live, and that was associated with a lot of pain associated with the change. It's rather timely with the protests and riots that are going on around the US and even internationally. There are a lot of causes, from the immediate (the killing of George Floyd), to the surface level circumstances that allowed it to explode the way it has (lots of people with cabin fever from the Covid quarantine, and being laid off from jobs giving them time to protest), to the deeper concerns that have been building up over years and decades (policing and racism), to what I believe is the deep underlying cause.

Agriculture allowed for cities to grow. Industrialization demanded it. The information age is rendering cities obsolete. This is leading to the very slow collapse of cities as some industries move, and others move away. Prosperity allows for underlying divisions to heal, and the lack of it allows for divisions and hatreds to fester. Until we reach the new steady state of a fourth wave society, we will have these growing pains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strategic Sage posted:

Definitely agree with the growing pains part, although I tend to associate it more with automation, the global economy in general, energy costs, the various good and bad possibilities of AI, decline of manufacturing, etc. We don't know what to do with our current reality yet and probably won't for quite a while. Of course, that whole picture will look quite a bit different even than it does now by the time I get to the modern age.

I think we're agreeing, just looking at it from points of view. I'm focusing on the rise of the third wave economy, and the disruptions that causes, and you're focusing on the end of the second wave economy and the disruptions that causes.