Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ok, here's the hypothetical situation: You have a chance to take a trip through time, either forwards or backwards, and then you pop right back to the present time.

Here's the rules:
- You can go anywhere on the planet.
- Anything you do in the past can alter the present
- Time paradoxes are allowed, so go ahead and kill your own great-grandparents if you like
- You only have 6 hours to spend at your destination.
- You can only take whatever you can carry on your person. Backpacks / saddlebags full of stuff, sure. Wear a hazmat suit, why not? But nothing that you can't pick up and carry.
- Same rule applies for anything you want to bring back with you to the present. No dragging back a spaceship from the future.
- You only have 1 shot to time travel, so no trial and error stuff.

So, what do you do?

Of course, there's the boring stuff you can do to make yourself stupidly rich and powerful. Go back to just after you are born, and give your parents a list of winning lottery numbers and a list of companies to invest in. You pop back into the present, and you are now heir to a fantastically wealthy empire that dwarfs Amazon.

I feel like the biggest risk would be jumping more than a few years forward. It's tempting to think about getting a chance to see new technology, or how global politics has changed. On the flip side, you might appear in a nuked out hell-scape where a city used to be.

I think going back in time has the best options, since you'd have a better idea of what you're getting into (depending how far back / where you choose to go). So do you try and prevent some great disaster? Witness and document a historical event? Help yourself to a bunch of DaVinci's artwork? Go close down that market in China where COVID 19 popped up? Strangle baby Hitler? Maybe go waaaaay back, and scoop up a bunch of dinosaur eggs to bring back. Stop Kurt Cobain from shooting himself? Leave an iPad in King Tut's tomb? The possibilities are endless.

If you're feeling creative, maybe you want to roll the dice with taking history in a big direction change. Go back to an ancient civilization of your choosing with technological diagrams and formulas, and come back to a present with a different global superpower. Give Caesar gunpowder! Flatten the Vatican and see what happens! Give the Vikings a map of the world, and tell them to go nuts! Help the English squash that damned American colonial revolt! Step on the first fish that crawls out of the ocean!

The one thing I would try and pull off with my 6 hour window, would be to attempt to stop World War I. It might be as simple as stopping Gavrilo Princip from killing Franz Ferdinand, but I'd only get one shot, so I'd have to do a lot more research on the matter before I made an attempt. If you can stop WWI, maybe that stops WWII. Without WWII, maybe the Cold War doesn't happen. It would be very interesting to see how the world would be right now if all those wars didn't go down. At least I could hopefully stop millions of people from getting shot / gassed / starved / etc during all those conflicts.

So, what do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Go FORWARD in time

And hire a crack squad of assassins to take my younger self out by whatever means necessary, before I learn how to jerk it

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
i go back to a time before this thread existed

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Two chicks at the same time

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Goast posted:

i go back to a time before this thread existed

Nice meme bro

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i'd go back in time one hour and suck my own dick

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sodomize as many bitches as possible.
Future or past, whatever. Doesn't matter as long as they are willing to get sodomized.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

lilbeefer posted:

Nice meme bro

:iceburn:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I'd go back to ancient Athens around the prime times and try to find someone with a good head on their shoulders. I have a backpack with a couple of microfilm readers, a bunch of solar panels, and microfilms full of every single patent I can scrounge up that actually got used translated to greek. Also a modern greek dictionary they can hopefully figure out eventually. I'd give them all that poo poo and then take a huge poo poo right in the town square right before my time is up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Walk out of Jesus' cave two days after he died.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I would probably kidnap baby Hitler and raise him to be a good boy and not a naughty one.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nurge posted:

I'd go back to ancient Athens around the prime times and try to find someone with a good head on their shoulders. I have a backpack with a couple of microfilm readers, a bunch of solar panels, and microfilms full of every single patent I can scrounge up that actually got used translated to greek. Also a modern greek dictionary they can hopefully figure out eventually. I'd give them all that poo poo and then take a huge poo poo right in the town square right before my time is up.

your inventions become trifling amusements for the court of Ptolemy, but the designs are sadly all burned up in the siege of alexandria before anyone has a chance to use them for anything productive.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

your inventions become trifling amusements for the court of Ptolemy, but the designs are sadly all burned up in the siege of alexandria before anyone has a chance to use them for anything productive.

I was honestly kind of hoping my steaming poo poo would start a pandemic that makes the bubonic plague look like a mild rash, but eh. You gotta take your chances.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Completely unironically I would go back to Hungary in 1589 and have sex with 29 year old Elizabeth Bathory.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'd go back to meadow creek (the creek that was full of little gold nuggets, and big ones, that started a gold rush) and fill my bag up with gold.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Completely unironically I would go back to Hungary in 1589 and have sex with 29 year old Elizabeth Bathory.

Looks like your machine is miscalibrated and you ended up in 1573.

Wiki posted:

At the age of 13, before her first marriage, Báthory allegedly gave birth to a child.[17] The child, said to have been fathered by a peasant boy, was supposedly given away to a local woman that was trusted by the Báthory family.[17] The woman was paid for her act, and the child was taken to Wallachia.[17] Evidence of this pregnancy came up long after Elizabeth's death through rumors spread by peasants; therefore, the validity of the rumor is often disputed.[13]

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Find a nice sandwich, then a nice chair

Probably fall asleep for a bit

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
id probably poo poo my pants during the initial experience of time travel.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

uguu posted:

Looks like your machine is miscalibrated and you ended up in 1573.

oh look, a guy named uguu whose avatar is an underage anime girl crying is imagining someone traveling back in time to gently caress a 13 year old. How unexpected.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Throw it away, don't need it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Introduce weed to ancient Rome.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

The Zombie Guy posted:

Ok, here's the hypothetical situation: You have a chance to take a trip through time, either forwards or backwards, and then you pop right back to the present time.

Here's the rules:

yep gave up slightly before this bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiU5P4ihIQ

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 12, 2020

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:can: I'd go to the future and become a Jedi! :can:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

June 11, 2002. 1:15pm.

I got a really good churro from a food truck, and they put 2 of them in the bag. I only paid for 1.

Mister Anarchy
Feb 19, 2007

Shit, they're not even starfish - LOOK AT THEIR EYES

I go back and kill the first humans paving the way for the neanderthals to rule the world.

Mister Anarchy fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 13, 2020

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Serious answer, I’d go back in time to the 50s and introduce rock music to the world at my moms prom night. I definitely won’t gently caress her, idk why you’d get that impression!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I go back in time and slap the anime out of my 5 year old hand and put a loaded gun

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Introduce drugs to mecca

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I finally give the 80s that jacket back and thank them for calling.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Go back in time and literally pulverize Fred Trump's balls before he has a chance to have any kids. :sad:

Now that I think of it, maybe a better use would be to somehow either prevent Abraham Lincoln from being assassinated, or prevent Andrew Johnson from being his VP. Trump becomes irrelevant if Andrew Johnson doesn't gently caress up Reconstruction.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I would travel to Apr 12, 2020 16:19 and stop OP from making this at the very last minute. Then we would go charge our crystals

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Serious answer, I'd go back and warn my wife's mother about her breast cancer and warn another friend to always wear his seatbelt.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How much time do I have to prepare materials?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Go back in time before life and create some primordial ooze if you know what I mean ;)

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Lazy answer: strangle my baby self or convince my mom to get an abortion.

Other answer: Go to Nikola Tesla's room a minute after he died and release his papers and notes to the public.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

How much time do I have to prepare materials?

As long as you like. Go take Latin classes, so you can go back and tell Plato he a punk, or whatever.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

As long as you like. Go take Latin classes, so you can go back and tell Plato he a punk, or whatever.

So I can make extremely durable flipbooks?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Linux Pirate posted:

Lazy answer: strangle my baby self or convince my mom to get an abortion.

Other answer: Go to Nikola Tesla's room a minute after he died and release his papers and notes to the public.

Oh you're one of those

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Oh you're one of those

A bad poster? Yeah.

What would you do with access to a time machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Linux Pirate posted:

I thought about this, but he was probably a bit of a crank towards the end and any free-energy death-rays would just electrocute anybody who tried to build them and wouldn’t work.