Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I'm in. Dibs on the SK-Aligned Escaped Tiger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Well I mean, be a lot cooler if you didn't do those things. If you can go without bullying people then all are welcome

Also if you can avoid talking about this game in other threads in a way that results in multiple players having to be modkilled, that'd be great too.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

i think its a lil funny

It's really not. I worked for weeks on that setup and the two of you nearly ruined it for everyone. If you don't see why it's a big deal to talk about running games out of thread, I can't let you in any future games of mine.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

This is the same way I feel, tbh.

Yeah, I mean, merk hosed up too, but he also immediately realized why his response had made things worse and apologized.

I didn't actually talk to Toal at all about it until now, publicly or privately, because I assumed that it was a mistake and that they'd learn from it. Disappointing to see that they still don't take it seriously.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I've been spoiled by all these games where I know everyone from the old days. Lotta unfamiliar names in this one and it's going to make it hard to play.

So let's start by lunching everyone I don't know: Jump King, Mister Jed, Mr. F!, NLK and Tommu.

Anyone who chooses an all-caps screen name is Scum IRL, so ##vote NLK goes first.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Also: fix the votefinder image link in OP, Opop.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

I've caught xopods in a lie. Xopods just ran a game with where NLK made FIVE PAGES OF POSTS

Oh, is NLK AA in disguise? All the more reason to vote him. Lunch everyone who doesn't read their role PMs carefully.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Grandicap posted:

So I know nothing about Tiger King except people think it is good. Should I watch it y/n?

Given that you keep signing up for Mafia games you obviously enjoy watching trainwrecks. So yes.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I can't believe Opop would make Grandi a Jester. WTF Opop.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

What the gently caress, its me Magnus

Why the gently caress has everyone changed their names.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

Ok so, I think grandi is being really weird but i don’t think it’s an intrinsically scum thing to like whiff claim scum and then awkwardly describe the concept of content generation.

It's extremely unlike Grandi, is the thing. He and I have played a lot together and while I can kinda imagine him being like "I never ever get lunched, I wonder if I could scumclaim in jokephase and still make it through to the end of a game," he takes playing towards his win condition pretty seriously. So, for instance, I don't think he'd risk pissing off his scum buddies by doing that as scum. However, I also don't see why he'd do it as Town.

I wasn't being serious about him being a Jester, but I feel like there's gotta be something beyond just Town or Scum alignment to have him do something like that. E.g. he could be trying to draw an investigation for one reason or another (Godfather, or some Town role that wants to be confirmed) or he's Town but has a negative role that for some reason he doesn't want to claim, but thinks it's best if we lunch him eventually... something like that.

I mean, he doesn't like to sit back as Scum, he wants attention and to deceive the Town actively rather than staying at arm's length from everything. But normally he'd do that by poking at some of the more aggressive players, making sure they're reading him. A scumclaim out of the gates seems too heavy-handed.

So, basically, I don't know what to make of it and I'm still thinking about it.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Guys, I found a photo on Facebook of the Scum we're looking for. At first glance, they may seem just like us, but if you look carefully, there are differences.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

flerp posted:

tho i mostly feel bad about xopods since it's weird that his first instinct was "grandi was 3p" which is a p scum thing to do

I understand that lazy, wrong people think this way, but in this case I explained why I thought that, namely that his play just makes no sense from my understanding of either Grandi's Town or Scum meta.

The usual reasoning behind the theory that 3P speculation is scummy is that hunting for third parties is something Scum can do in order to avoid hunting for Scum. It's rather different when you're trying to figure out one specific person's alignment.

I haven't even started actually scum hunting yet. I'll let you know when my infallible D1 gut spots scum.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

If you want a binary scum/not scum read on Grandi, it's that he's not Scum. The thing I feel most strongly about in what I said about him is that he wouldn't Scum claim as Scum because it would suck for his teammates to have him get himself lunched for lulz, and Grandi is a nice guy and a team player who wouldn't do that to people. The only way he would is if they talked about it and decided as a group that it would be funny or somehow a good gambit... which isn't impossible, but I feel like most scum teams would nix that suggestion pretty fast.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

MisterJed posted:

Who do you currently think is in the mafia

I don't know yet. I've only been skimming the thread so far to make sure I don't miss any early drama like someone scum claiming in jokephase. If something had really jumped out at me I'd have said something but nothing has. I usually do my first serious read-through for gut reads around midway through D1... I guess we're basically there, but it's been a slower-moving game than normal so I was going to wait until later tonight or tomorrow morning.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I wasn't going to do my read until tomorrow but there's so little going on I figured I might as well before hitting the hay.

Anyway, the scum are Eat the Rich, Your Personal Muse and MisterJed.

I guess we're giving Jed a D1 pass but he sounds like a newbie who's getting coached, and if he's getting coached, he's Scum. Coach better next time, guys.

ETR and YPM are just gut, so don't expect a particularly compelling case on either of them.

##vote Eat the Rich just because he pinged me first of those two

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

Why do you think jed sounds like he's being coached?

He sounds less like a clueless newbie confused by what's going on, and more like someone who understands how D1 of a game of Mafia works.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal, was ETR scum? Answer honestly.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds good. I stand by my appraisal of Grandi as at least not-scum, and he agrees with me about YPM. Ergo, that's two not-Scum votes for YPM which I calculate gives us an 82% chance* of catching Scum by lunching him.

##vote YPM

* I did not calculate anything and the actual probability would be much lower than this, but better than chance.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Your Personal Muse posted:

What prompted you to switch from ETR? It reads as you trying to park your vote somewhere.

I'm waiting for Hal to tell me whether ETR was Scum, obviously.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Do you have any non deflection answer?

I actually gave the real reason up front, more or less.

It's that neither read is very strong and neither of you will be easy to case at this juncture because there's so little content. Aside from my own, you have two votes on you, one of which is from my sole non-Scum read. ETR/Hal has no votes for him.

Ergo, it will be easier to lunch you and I don't feel like I'm being railroaded into that because I don't think Grandi's scum. Given the absence of other reasons to choose one of you over the other, that seems like a pretty good tie-breaker to me.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

You think Grandi is 3p, correct? This isn’t a gotcha (although I will say upfront I think it’s scummy to abdicate responsibility for a vote, and is ?double? scummy to abdicate responsibility to someone you think is 3p) I just want to make sure I am not misrepresenting

Not exactly. I said my meta read on him is that he wouldn't do that as Scum without getting his buddies to sign off on the plan, and I don't imagine any scum team would think that was a good idea.

Ergo, not scum.

However, on the surface, I don't see why he'd do it as Town either. 3P was one possible guess. Another was that he's Town but has some role-related reason why it's probably better if he gets lunched at some point before LYLO.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

Oh sorry, no, ETR was not scum, you may carry on

Cool. Want to lunch YPM with me and Grandi? That'd be at least 3 non-Scum votes for them, which would make them basically 100% confirmed Scum.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

This game is boring. The four people not voting anyone should all vote someone. Preferably in the most suspicious way possible so that we have something to argue about.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Leave it to fate.

VOTE OR DIE: 1d13 2

##vote ETR

Hmm. RNGing your vote is pretty pretty suspicious. However, I ordered you to vote suspiciously, and I'm Town, so I guess that makes it anti-suspicious.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Hal Incandenza posted:

Scum is xopods I think? He is definitely waaaaaay more passive and reserved than I've seen since he's been back.

First of all, there hasn't been anything in this game for me to latch on to yet.

Secondly, a lot of my attention was devoted somewhere else. If you think really hard you can probably figure out where.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Okay, so, why I think YPM's scum.

(1) Mostly importantly, just gut feeling about ~vibes~ from posts. Can't explain this, never can, but I think I've got a pretty good jokephase/early D1 spider sense.

(2) Initially ignored Grandi's scumclaim, but then poked suspiciously at him after he said he was trying to generate content. This is pretty weak evidence, as YPM may just have missed the initial claim, but if they did see it, I feel like actual Scum would be more perplexed than anyone by a jokephase Scum claim.

(3) OMGUS on me for voting them with no justification. If YPM was making their own cases, fine, but this is a really easy way to drop a vote on D1 and leave it there which simultaneously avoids forming opinions based on people's overall behavior but won't likely get as much flak in this kind of game as either trying too hard to case someone or just dropping a vote and calling it gut.

(4) Later emphasis on the "3P" aspect of my thoughts on Grandi is similar to (3). Admittedly, there isn't a lot to go on, so latching on to stereotypical "scum tell" stuff like that is not inherently bad, even if it's wrong... however, it's also a deliberate misreading of my post because I didn't specifically read him as 3P, I read him as "not Scum" but that I think it's a weird play for him regardless and that there's gotta be some other reason for him doing it. Which could mean 3P but could also mean a Townie with some weird motivation for doing that. 3P is one possibility, but I'm not out here hunting for 3Ps while pretending to hunt for scum.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

a deliberate misreading

I say "deliberate" because I don't know how with good-faith reading, you'd get from what I wrote that "xopods is looking for 3Ps not scum," which would be the scummy aspect of things.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

Whats up yall.

Who should I reread today?

Also everyone tell me what you think of naga king

Oh, Magnus is in this game. Hi Magnus.

Why don't you read everyone in the second half of the player list, since I've already found the scum in the first half. Then we can compare notes and save time.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

xopods posted:

Oh, Magnus is in this game. Hi Magnus.

Why don't you read everyone in the second half of the player list, since I've already found the scum in the first half. Then we can compare notes and save time.

Oh wait, poo poo, I didn't even realize which window I was refreshing. Wrong game.

I'm the worst player right now, lol.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Should I claim? I feel like some of the votes on me weren't made with a whole lot of conviction, and I don't want to claim unnecessarily, but I also don't want to die without claiming.

Before anyone hammers please ensure that everyone currently voting actually intends to lunch me, and then signal your intent so that I can claim. For the good of the Town. Because I am Town, as always.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

I think someone at -2 would be interested in offering their final reads to town, on a wider variety of people rather than digging in on YPM on a day one gut read.

I would, but I literally only started putting any effort into this game what, three hours ago? I don't know how many more reads you expect me to provide.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Like, I'm starting to provide my own content now and a few people like you are reacting so I will eventually get the game going if you don't lunch me as soon as I start actually focusing on this game instead of... [gestures vaguely] whatever I was focusing on before.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

we could lunch Tommy

I would, at least, like to know what changed for him between this post (which is in reference to my early posting) and him voting for me.

Tommu posted:

It's honestly some of the most awkward posting I've ever seen but i agree it doesnt feel scummy.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

I think it's really got to be xopods or ypm now. Everything else wouldn't resolve the tension of the day.

Urggghghh... I was liking you before this and I don't usually go for unitary "here is this person doing one scummy thing" sort of reads... but this is really loving bad, and not just because I'm one of the two.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Like, hypothetically, if me and YPM are town, convincing people that it's one or the other doesn't just guarantee a Town lunch... that's not such a big deal, as lunching Town happens a lot on D1 anyway, with or without much Scum influence.

But if the thread collectively decides that yeah, it's between these two, and those two later turn out to be Town, everything that happens from here to day end is informationally useless.

And he's doing this just as the game is actually starting to pick up, if only a little.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

deal with it

ok

##vote Jump King

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

I meant deal with it tomorrow. Not to be an rear end in a top hat but I think my genuine engagement with this game has been good enough that I don't have to tip toe around book reads like that and I'm surprised the 3p read guy is up against that

Effort and engagement aren't indicative of alignment, except for meta reasons or if someone is attempting to mask their actual levels thereof.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Jump King posted:

Both of them have had the needed pressure to make posts you can do an alignment read on etc.

Okay, but not only have you not done so, you're actively avoiding doing so when asked, by talking about how one could get an alignment read on us instead of, you know, actually doing it.

And no, "xopods said the words 'third party' one time" doesn't count.

You haven't said ANYTHING AT ALL about YPM's alignment at any point. Closest you came was saying you enjoyed their slapfight with Toal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Grandicap posted:

This is a post saying that I would vote Jump King, but also look at YPM ghosting after heat and pressure existed.

Yeah, I'd still vote YPM. I think it's somewhat unlikely that YPM and Jump are both Scum, but not impossible. Could be since I was/am way closer to lunch than YPM, Jump woulda thought it safe enough to set up that dichotomy as a sort of soft bus.

But in any case, though it was the "xopods or YPM" thing that initially pinged me to Jump, I think what's happened since is considerably worse.

Consider, for instance, the contradictions inherent in the following facts:

1) He feels like his level of engagement should give him a pass for some superficially scummy behavior
2) He claims me and YPM are the only ones to have said enough of substance for anyone to have alignment reads on us
3) His alignment read on me comes from two posts early on before I was making an effort, and
4) He hasn't stated any alignment read on YPM at all

So, he wants us to see him as the most engaged person and so we shouldn't vote him but also thinks we should lunch people who are engaged because we can read them but also hasn't tried to read the engaged people he thinks we should lunch. :hmmno: