Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Hi. I’ve never played mafia before but I would like to play this game. Hope I’m not bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Thanks

Sandwolf posted:

welcome to the community dude, best of luck, do all the moves

Thanks, I’m ready to rock

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Me saying “thanks” twice in the same post is a scumtell isn’t it

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

8 - JedExotic

Yes

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Which of you is the mafia

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Jump King posted:

notably flerp has now voted for two claimed town, doubling down on an already questionable decision

If this is a joke it’s pretty funny. If it’s not a joke then I’d be suspicious of you because scum could lie and claim town. Please let me know if this is a joke post since we’re in the joke phase. In the meantime I’ll try to think of some jokes

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

xopods posted:

I've been spoiled by all these games where I know everyone from the old days. Lotta unfamiliar names in this one and it's going to make it hard to play.

So let's start by lunching everyone I don't know: Jump King, Mister Jed, Mr. F!, NLK and Tommu.

Anyone who chooses an all-caps screen name is Scum IRL, so ##vote NLK goes first.

Ya know who likes old friends from the old days? Members of the mafia

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Hey jump king, why did you say you were posting a link to five pages of NLK posts then post a link to someone else’s posts

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Grandicap posted:

Parachute account.

Gotcha.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Joe should have named a tiger Prince to be his successor

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Appoint me as tiger secretary of the interior

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

It’s you

b-minus1 posted:

I’m town

b-minus1 posted:

Scum are too scared to post

This is the extent of your posting since the day began, what gives ##vote b-minus1

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Jump King posted:

lets get the post counts up!

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

I was out all day today and until now and after catching up to the page and a half of content I think I have to do this. ##vote no execution

I just can't see any single one of us being scum.

What about b’s nothing posts. Or is this another joke post that I’m too dense to get

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Claiming scum during the joke phase, when no one could possibly believe you, then saying it was a baiting tactic is odd and I don’t believe it. ##vote grandicap

Also, if I were an old timer returning, doing gambits like scum claiming while scum would be a fun/interesting play

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

I’m not a returning person, this is my first time playing mafia

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Sorry if my post was confusing, I just don’t believe grandicap

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

##vote jed for that terrible Grandi vote

Why is everyone baiting me

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Grandicap posted:

You just unvoted twice? What gives?

That plus him thinking that I was an old timer means he’s probably under the influence of something. Party hard Liu Kang man

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

So if it’s just a thing that bee posts uselessly during day one and everyone accepts it, ok, but I don’t see how it benefits town

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

*Chomps at the tip of cobb pipe.*

Where does one begin...

O the ballad of bee.

A young hot shot, a rising comet in the Mafia community, then came his fall from grace...

Casual poo poo poster. The fate of us all.

I strive to be more than a casual shitposter. I want to be a relentless shitposter

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Toalpaz posted:

i will not vote grandi today

Tell me more

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Saying you’re not voting for someone is a bold statement! I’d like to know why

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

I’m open to voting for someone else if we can come up with a better case, but it seems like it’s extremely difficult to make a solid case in day one. I don’t know, keep posting gang

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Jump King posted:

btw here's our post count, I know it's super early and not exactly a big lurker time, but I really dislike executing high content players on day one, so here's the list.

Fair point, I’ll keep this in consideration but I won’t change my vote yet. Also, my comments about bee are hopefully more hard-hitting now that we see he has seven posts

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

flerp posted:

so ur saying we should murder bee man????

Maybe

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Mr F, ETR, flerp, and Sandwolf aren't really doing much, and I'd like to see if they up their posting once we get out of the weekend. Tommu is posting a lot but most of it was jokephase stuff then a half-hearted read on xopods. I'm glad there aren't any full-blown lurkers.

It's odd that toalpaz won't explain why they won't vote grandi, but I don't think that's necessarily scummy. The votes on xopods mostly involve meta stuff that confuses me. Not sure what to think about NLK and YPM. I haven't seen anything suspicious from jump king, so I'm thinking they're town. I've made my thoughts on grandicap known.

But everyone above is making cases and doing things, which can't be said for bee. ##vote bminus

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

flerp posted:

if another person says im not doing much i swear to god im gonna make a lumpen list

Who do you think is in the mafia

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

xopods posted:

Guys, I found a photo on Facebook of the Scum we're looking for. At first glance, they may seem just like us, but if you look carefully, there are differences.

Eastbound and Down season 2 energy

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

The points about grandi seeming sincere albeit strange range true and I agree. How's that scummy?

I think my disconnect with others was that I didn’t believe him therefore he may be scum, while others consider it alignment neutral. I’m still suspicious at least but it’s also day one so we’re grasping at straws

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

b-minus1 posted:

I think Grandi was just trying to spark some conversation by scumclaiming.

I think he was joking the whole time and it was odd that he later said it had a purpose.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

xopods posted:

I understand that lazy, wrong people think this way, but in this case I explained why I thought that, namely that his play just makes no sense from my understanding of either Grandi's Town or Scum meta.

The usual reasoning behind the theory that 3P speculation is scummy is that hunting for third parties is something Scum can do in order to avoid hunting for Scum. It's rather different when you're trying to figure out one specific person's alignment.

I haven't even started actually scum hunting yet. I'll let you know when my infallible D1 gut spots scum.

Who do you currently think is in the mafia

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

Anyways, I'm going to claim; since theres some interesting stuff at play here, I think.

Im carole baskins. I believe the scum are attempting to target me for a night kill, and if they do it, then something happens. I'm not sure what but I think it's bad for town. From what I can gleam from my role pm, there might be someone on the town side that can protect me. Whoever that is should obviously not claim.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Magnus

So if the mafia succeed in their night kill, something happens. Does that same thing happen if you’re lynched instead?

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

-Note on flavour: I'm doing some stuff with flavour and also being careful not to, so assume flavour doesn't mean anything at all. I have a few specific things to throw people off planned.

Interesting part of the OP given mr fs claim.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Mr. F! posted:

doesnt say anything about being lynched.

Ok.

Your claim fits with the note from the OP. So I believe you, and I think Joe Exotic isn’t necessarily scum here given the comment from the OP about throwing people off.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

xopods posted:

He sounds less like a clueless newbie confused by what's going on, and more like someone who understands how D1 of a game of Mafia works.

I used to read games a long time ago, but never played. I was bored and read through a few more recent games, and decided to take the plunge. Before day 1 began I used the word “scumtell” in a page one post, which sandwolf made a joke about.

Also, I posted a lot on Saturday afternoon, within minutes of each other. Not impossible to do while being coached, but unlikely imo.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

NAGA LIU KANG posted:

Well... actually I rescind that. Opaps ain't no rookie mod.

Flavor is probably irrelevant.

So that also makes your theory silly I think.

Who looks like scum?

Besides being a suspicious post, it was made only a few posts after I had quoted some language from the OP where it said they’d be “doing some stuff with flavour.” So he missed that, and also missed F’s claim. I don’t like it! ##vote NLK

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

I don’t get these xopods votes. There are other players who have more plainly avoided making reads, or doing much at all, so I don’t get why there’s pressure in xopods in particular. And then I see that two of the people I’m suspicious about (bminus and NLK) are either voting or considering voting for him, and things start hanging together

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Why isn’t anyone posting, are you all high or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Tommu posted:

This is one of those games isnt it

Your votes on xopods but who else are you suspicious of?