Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

spoiled because I'm in a fairly ag centric rural place, but all the locally-ish packed corn and bean seeds sold, basically, by the pound at the nonfranchised hardware store had great germination rates and grew some healthy plants. all the seeds packs from the co-op also did fine.

getting more exotic and nondomesticated stuff going from ebay seeds has been substantially less successful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kicks forts
Feb 19, 2006

cheers
Love a gardening thread, I'm a qualified horticulturalist an can tell you from experience that even relatively small amounts of piss will kill a houseplant

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I will once again shout out the Maine Potato Lady if you’re interested in potatoes, garlics, or onions

looks like a good bit has sold out for the season, including the garlics and onions, but still several potato varieties available

potatoes are easy and rewarding to grow!!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sweet, this answers the question I was going to ask. I picked up a couple of packs of seeds from home depot earlier this year and they were very hit or miss.

Any other goon approved seed buying places?

Territorial Seeds
Seed Savers
Floret Flowers

I've had excellent, excellent germination rates from all of these places.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

has anyone had luck getting baccharis pilularis (coyote brush) cuttings to root? I'm going to try brute force and shear numbers the next time I go to the beach, but it doesn't hurt to ask

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

seed savers is good.

dan_the_blessed
Oct 24, 2020
I was happy with my Fedco Seeds order this year.

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/

Best to order early December. Bookmark them for next year.

They'll be cheaper per seed than major retailers if you buy in quantities larger than .2/.4 grams (single packets). The price point breaks in your favor much greater around 1g orders. So find a few friends who garden or figure out which seed varieties have a longer seed shelf life.

Here's a Rose De Berne tomato plant from a Fedco seed. Looks healthy and happy. No issues with any seeds so far.

http://imgur.com/gallery/nQAhGDw

dan_the_blessed has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Feb 24, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one of the asian pear seeds I gave up on came up well after I repurposed the pot for a tomato seedling.

this is quite the coincidence as yesterday I broke down and bought a sad looking bareroot asian pear tree.

I'm going looking for a lemon verbena at the nursery tomorrow. wish me luck

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sweet, this answers the question I was going to ask. I picked up a couple of packs of seeds from home depot earlier this year and they were very hit or miss.

Any other goon approved seed buying places?

Johnny's Selected Seeds (employee owned, massive selection, lots of varieties developed in house)
Seed Savers Exchange
Baker Creek (they really ham it up on the NON GMO marketing but they're good)
Southern Exposure
Seeds from Italy (although their pepper and tomato selection are severely limited rn because of an import ban thanks to a virus)

Zeno-25 has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Mar 6, 2021

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If all you're practicing is how to kill, you're not looking for change, you're looking for an excuse to murder

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a squirrel has been digging up my beds and destroying seedlings this spring. for a while, i was able to keep him out of the important planters with bird netting, but then last week he decided to chew through the net and dig down for whatever the hell he thought was gonna be down there

there was nothing, he's an idiot squirrel with squirrel brains, but if you're not gonna respect the net, whatever social contract exists between man and squirrel is void. i found an old rat trap and put a couple of walnuts in it. squirrels like nuts, right?

well, the squirrel easily moved the trap aside and ate the nuts. didn't even trigger it. so i googled "how to trap squirrel" and apparently peanut butter works better. just dab a glob of it onto the trigger plate so he can't shake it out of the cage.

and he couldn't. but he could reach in through side of the cage trying to claw the blob out, which triggered the trap. oh well, let's try again. i can outsmart a squirrel i'm pretty sure. i reset the trap and left a nice trail of peanut butter smears from the entrance to the pressure plate.

and it worked! the score is squirrel 2, me 1, but i win on the technicality of having trapped my opponent inside a cage from which he cannot escape without my assistance. he got a short car ride to the woods to begin his new life in the off-world colonies!

but it turns out the problem wasn't over. a new squirrel immediately settled in and started digging up the planters. i know it's a different one because the holes it digs are smaller and shallower. that's right, i can recognize a squirrel's hole signature. i'm not gonna let it develop its art here, so up goes the trap again, with the peanut butter trail and a big trove of gooey treasure on the trigger plate

oh, snap. not a bright fellow, this one. he was mad as hell, kept barking curses at me all the way to the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYKwKynddQ

now we'll see what tomorrow brings. from what i've read online, squirrels are like water, if you remove one, another will flow in. maybe i can do a tayne speedrun but with squirrels instead of woodchucks. i've got lots of peanut butter.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the wife feeds the squirrels. they still dig random stuff up, but I'm pretty sure they dig up way, way, way less stuff as a result. and, you know, they're cute and fun to watch

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

the wife feeds the squirrels. they still dig random stuff up, but I'm pretty sure they dig up way, way, way less stuff as a result. and, you know, they're cute and fun to watch

i've thought about that, but i don't want to inadvertently attract even more of them to the yard. we'll see. today was day three, squirrel three. my peanut butter jar can handle this rate of attrition for some time, but can the squirrels?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

spring is upon us goons. what you plantin'?

my seed roquette plant's almost a year old. kinda want to throw it a party.

mizuna's not exactly my thing but its flowers smell like honeysuckle and the stalks are tall enough that I don't have bend down a ton to smell them.

any other hardy greens you all into?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm in austin where the real estate market is nuts and my landlord is making hints about selling and i'm so mad. i was going to make habanero jelly this year. the cold snap over valentine's killed a 5 year old serrano but my roses survived.

i'm just bringing my friends to the local plant store and helping them out. one guy has a ditch in the back yard that gets lots of standing water and mosquitoes so i want to put in a couple bald cypress

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

i say swears online posted:

i'm in austin where the real estate market is nuts and my landlord is making hints about selling and i'm so mad. i was going to make habanero jelly this year. the cold snap over valentine's killed a 5 year old serrano but my roses survived.

i'm just bringing my friends to the local plant store and helping them out. one guy has a ditch in the back yard that gets lots of standing water and mosquitoes so i want to put in a couple bald cypress

I suggest some BTi for that ditch. It's commonly available up here in BC, so I'm sure it's got to be legal in Texas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

??
edit: Oh ok, I get yah now!

B33rChiller has issued a correction as of 15:01 on Mar 28, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's a really good idea

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
Jealous of everyone that can overwinter their peppers outdoors

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

There's a spectre haunting my jade garden

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I picked a few wild grapes in portland years ago. last year I put the seeds in the ground, having found them while cleaning out the junk drawer. yesterday I repotted a couple of oaks and elms and, looking at the leaves of one of the treeish kinda things that got repotted, I do believe I have a year old wild portland grape in pretty good health. either that or it's a blackberry. I hope it's the kind of grape that buckfast is made with.

I put a photo up later

dan_the_blessed
Oct 24, 2020
Anyone have any good recipes for their home growns they'd care to share/link? Been hunting for some tomato sauces, soups, and ketchups.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

asian pear from seed from a grocery store asian pear

tomatoes are a bloomin

mystery grape(?)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

wild grapes are the worst

the leaves can be used in some wraps I guess

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/OchamsRazr/status/1389587137318752258

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Dustcat posted:

i've thought about that, but i don't want to inadvertently attract even more of them to the yard. we'll see. today was day three, squirrel three. my peanut butter jar can handle this rate of attrition for some time, but can the squirrels?

They're territorial and younger ones are always hustling, that's why new ones show up the day after you get rid of the old guard. I only trap rodents to get them out of a structure and then I make repairs to keep them out. I don't know if feeding them helps or hurts, I feed in winter and it looks like it only adds one or two to the territory my yard is in. Letting my dogs roam at will is all I do to protect the gardens. They supposedly hate garlic, peppermint, chiles, and vinegar so those might be worth a try.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

squirrels definitely have personalities and different habits as well. I've had years where there is a squirrel that loves tearing apart tulip flowers or digging in potted plants, but normally I don't have an issue with them.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Myron Baloney posted:

They're territorial and younger ones are always hustling, that's why new ones show up the day after you get rid of the old guard. I only trap rodents to get them out of a structure and then I make repairs to keep them out. I don't know if feeding them helps or hurts, I feed in winter and it looks like it only adds one or two to the territory my yard is in. Letting my dogs roam at will is all I do to protect the gardens. They supposedly hate garlic, peppermint, chiles, and vinegar so those might be worth a try.

yeah, i ended up only relocating three, and then the newbies seemed to respect bird netting enough to not do any more major damage, and now everything's big enough that the squirrels don't dig it up anymore. i have a bird feeder out and a few squirrels root around under it for dropped sunflower seeds, which is fine. we'll see what happens when the crops start ripening...

dan_the_blessed
Oct 24, 2020
Progress on our tomato plants. Enjoy.

dan_the_blessed has issued a correction as of 04:20 on May 16, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Going to go out and till the fields.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
lol it's going to be above 80 for almost a week straight in the middle of loving may

rip all my lettuce

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the roquette likes it. the climate apocalypse means only spicy lettuce will thrive

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

Lemon balm x2
Peppermint x2
Garlic chives x2

Sadly nothing else sprouted and so I doubled up on what did, cheap Amazon seeds :doh:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Soil looks good today. Measured the pH levels. Soon my harvest will grow.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
If I were to buy a tractor why should it be a Massey Ferguson 2600 ?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Same as power tools.

Buy Massey Ferguson because their color is the best.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Got a 2606h coming for a test drive and if I like it we’re going BACK IN DEBT BABY

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I like how you have to subscribe to their mailing list to even get a brochure. they know they've got the stuff you want, want it so bad you'll pay just to see pictures of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rationale posted:

If I were to buy a tractor why should it be a Massey Ferguson 2600 ?

Probably because of the 2600 in the name. ARP 2600, ATARI 2600, legendary. This tractor's bound to be the same, right?