Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

ZeusCannon posted:

Im bored and want to try growing carrots. Any recommendations for seeds?
You can also use the tops of carrots you get at the store, although it won't get as long as the one you cut it off of

Spoondick posted:

the deer wouldn't leave the grapes alone so i had to spray this rancid egg and cayenne mixture all over the leaves once a week to keep them away, they seem to leave herbs or anything with a strong flavor alone at least
My neighbor swore by dumping beer on his plants to keep the deer off, although I don't know how often he did it
like it wasn't the beer on the leaves that kept them away, but having it in the soil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Atrocious Joe posted:

Honestly don't even touch plants that look similar to carrot unless you really know what they are. The carrot family is filled with the worst plants that have sap which can burn your skin in sunlight.
You mention these but not the great grandaddy of toxic carrot-look-alikes, the poison hemlock? for shame

anyway yes if you go digging for Queen Anne's Lace be v careful

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

The Voice of Labor posted:

There's a big ol' photo of hemlock one post above.
:saddowns:

anyway, I wanted to plant a bunch of stuff this year but then I got sick :( I'm not badly-off but I dunno if I want to do anything strenuous, you know?

If nothing else I'll have the raspberries that were here when I moved in, I guess. And it's probably not a bad thing to see what perennials are in the pre-built Garden Area before I tear it up

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
20 Vegetables You Can Regrow From Scraps

tl;dr
Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes
Onions, Garlic, Leeks and Shallots
Celery, Bulb Fennel
Carrots, Turnips, Parsnips, Beets and other root crops
Lettuce, Cabbages, Bok Choi and other leafy greens
Basil, Mint, Cilantro & other herbs

Ayin has issued a correction as of 01:58 on Apr 29, 2020

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Atrocious Joe posted:

working in landscaping for a little bit has made me extremely reluctant to do any sort of foraging near landscaping

you don't know what type of herbicides or pesticides have been sprayed in any area. a few common types of herbicide can take a few weeks to show obvious effects.
There's also toxic run-off from roads to consider, especially if you're in a state that likes to use coal/fly ash instead of road salt (THANKS, PENNSYLVANIA)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Organic Lube User posted:

I'm just starting out with the assumption that it's at best not great, but I'm open to correction. My general impression is that cat and dog poops are not the same as cow plops.
My second dog had absolutely heinous-smelling poops that acted as incredible fertilizer on the part of the lawn where he did his business
(poop of the first and third dogs didn't though)

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Oh hell yes, they have catnip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Seconding clover, there's an empty lot near me that's like 90% clover and it's very pretty. You'll also get that 'field of flowers' effect when they bloom!

If it's well-shaded and moist, you could also try moss, although I don't know anything about how to cultivate moss