Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

ebay is also good for getting small quantities of seeds if you're quarantining, used to be you could get a packet of anything commonplace for $1 right in your mailbox if you didn't mind waiting a week. now the prices have gone up of course. i've also bought some kaffir lime seeds there and had decent success

you should be careful on ebay though, because a lot of the more exotic seeds ship from overseas, which you should probably avoid unless you want to get on wikipedia as the person who brought some blight into the united states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

High five, kaffir lime buddy

Is it just me or do they grow really really slowly

i started mine last october and they took several weeks to germinate, then i think they grew about three inches in their first month under a plant light. then they slowed down a lot, although that may have been because the light needed new bulbs. gonna see if they get going again in the actual sun

this is mine now:

and here are a couple of understudies in case something eats the star:

the one in the back is a seedling from an heirloom orange from a local farm that i'm hoping will be hardy enough to plant in the yard. the kaffir lime will have to live in a pot because it needs to come in when it freezes

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

twoday posted:

what number are you

these are weird zone numbers for the US by the way, usually the agricultural zone system here goes north to south from 1 to 10

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

AphexMandelbrot posted:

apartment situation: quick question -- is an AeroGarden worth it? on the fence, porch doesn't get enough sunlight for full sun. lacking that, is there a better alternative?

i don't have an aerogarden but they always seemed overpriced to me, because for the same price you can get a four-foot T5 plant light with four or even eight tubes that lets you grow anything you like in regular pots or really anything that can hold dirt

i have a four-tube one in the kitchen to start seedlings in the spring, and now to grow microgreens to garnish my quarantine beans

here's some mustard seed i planted as an experiment, with a few leftover beets on the left, cuke and sugar snap pea seedlings in the peat pots getting ready to transplant, and a bunch of speckled peas i'm growing for sprouts. i'm also going to try growing some spinach and bibb lettuce under it, will report on progress if any

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i hope he remembered to scarify the bun or it'll take forever to germinate

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Rationale posted:

I have 126 patio doors how do i make them into a greenhouse?

drill holes along the edges and sew them together with paracord

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

someday i may try hydroponics, but for now, i still prefer my little pots of potting mix under a big plant light, and for these reasons: it's very easy move pots around and adjust their heights, and with a pot you can start as dense as you like, and then thin down

you can sow a whole bunch of mustard seeds in a big bin and eat the seedlings as microgreens as they come up and need to be thinned

and then if you're left with some mustards that are getting too big to fit under the plant light, just move the bin out, they'll be fine for a week or two

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

behold! the works of the roots of the vines

cukes got mulched with leaves. seriously thinking about drip irrigation too, thanks to that one goon! it's starting to get warm out here

also this guy just showed up and started making giant gently caress off leaves and flowers. it's some kind of winter squash or a melon that survived composting, guess we'll find out

indoors we have a babby bibb lettuce

and some arugula to trigger the chuds. gonna eat it with a dijon mustard vinaigrette and send them into a frothing rage

meanwhile, the beet greens got too big for the plant light so they live outside now, growing heavy for the vintage

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

one replanting trick that does work very well is replanting green onions. just leave an inch or two of white stuff on them and stick directly into moist dirt, and they'll take off again. i recently pulled one left over from last fall that had grown to the size of a leek!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Spoondick posted:

just bought a shitload of lettuce, spinach, beet and mustard seeds... gonna have greens for days, now im looking at getting a curry bush, kaffir lime and lemongrass for a lifetime supply of curries

sweet! i just ordered a bunch of drip irrigation junk to mechanize my agricultural production, gonna post proud pictures in a week or two

i have some kaffir lime and lemongrass seeds from last fall that might still sprout if you want them, but no guarantees, i only had a 15% germination on the kaffir lime to begin with

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

pancake rabbit posted:

found out today that my wife got me a 10'x50' plot in our local community garden for my birthday and that may be the best present i've ever received :3:

now to plan out what i'm gonna grow and how to arrange everything, suggestions welcome

hmm i should probably find out whether the plot is oriented N/S or E/W

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

silicone thrills posted:

The kudzu is a joke right? ha--haha unless you aren't in america. then that's fine. I guess.

the joke was the grill, because of course you wouldn't keep a grill in a community garden plot

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

are you threatening me? i don't see anybody else around so you must be threatening me

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i would eat your peppers after they cool a bit and the color turns

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

indoor garden update:

the big guys in the back are 3 and 4 weeks old. i start a new bibb and arugula every week by planting a few seeds and thinning as they get bigger. once they're big enough to eat, we just pick outer leaves off them as needed and they seem to be fine for sandwiches and occasional salads

outdoors, i'm letting my dill go to seed since we got three good harvests out of it:

and somebody else needs it more than we do:

meanwhile, the volunteer gourd is taking over:

it turned out to be an acorn squash, but it seems to be dropping all its fruits after the flower closes, so unless it starts producing, it's gonna have to go, it's bugging my spare tomatoes.

primary tomatoes are on target and i've picked five so far:

cukes, well, whatever. do your thing, cukes. dyukes!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

it's tomato season here!

i've got seven tomato plants giving me three or four fruit a day now so they're piling up. even the potted peas on the left finally started making a few pods

cukes are a mess. i had to put netting around them to keep the dog from digging around them for compost, and now they're trying to collapse it under their weight. if they ever start producing instead of thinking about it, i'm gonna have like a hundred cukes

the volunteer acorn squash seems about done but managed to make one fruit that's still growing, we'll see if it makes it to maturity

my wife's kales were horribly caterpillar infested and nearly died, but after she covered them with netting to keep the butterflies away, they're recovering

indoors i started branching out into herbs and consequently ran out of lettuce. i got some jericho lettuce seeds to see if they can handle the texas heat so i can have more space under my grow lights

i also planted some licorice on a whim, and curiously, instead of the promised 21-60 days, it germinated in three days

on the deck, i got rid of the bolting dill and put in scallions. also, a catnip for the kitties when they're older!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i say swears online posted:

i had this with my cantaloupe a few weeks ago and just stuck my pinky in and around a few dozen flowers. now i'm swimming in fruit. i did a sex

thanks, i tried that! hoping no unholy goon-cucumber hybrids arise

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

plants can get sunburned, so if it got bleached on the first day under direct sunlight, that could be what's going on

or it could just be stress from the changing conditions

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i'm guessing that's in reference to this

https://twitter.com/JavelinaJim/status/1271221319074537473

which, uh, somebody buy these guys an account so they can get some gardening tips from the pros (for example, i see no statue of lenin at all)

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

:five:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

The Voice of Labor posted:

this zucchini reminds me a lot of my cock

it is average sized, green and striped

nice zuch

excellent saturation on that baby

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

my regret this year is that i let a volunteer squash and two tomatoes grow, thinking i could train them out of the bed, but they ended up crowding my basils and garlics anyway, and produced almost nothing

next year, any volunteers will be terminated with prejudice

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Shitpostradomus posted:

Weird question.

My wife is looking at mushroom growing kits (cooking mushrooms, not liberty caps). Any suggestions? It'll be an inside grow in an apartment. She showed me this one that looks like cardboard and you mist it every now and then but as someone who grew non-cooking mushrooms, that seems like an invite for contamination. But, I'm probably wrong.

edit to add: it's a gift.

i got one of those oyster mushroom cardboard boxes for christmas a year or two ago and it worked great even when i finally got around to growing it out months later

i don't know what kind of contamination you're worried about, because that thing was absolutely filled to the gills with oyster mushroom rhizomes, so just eat the ones that pop out in the first weeks and you should be fine

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

snake and bake posted:

Closet panic garden looking pretty decent

A valiantly struggling romaine, surrounded by 5 tomato plants

I've been trying to figure out when/if/how much to prune the tomatoes :ohdear:

They are 28 days old and just starting to sprout tiny flower pods

that's a pretty ambitious effort!

i just do fast growing fleeting things like lettuce and spinach under my grow light, and herbs that can't be dried

i would not attempt tomatoes, but godspeed!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

cardboard is an important element of soil composition!

these two planters were left empty last year because for various reasons we never got around to ordering container soil to fill them up, so we've been dumping chicken crap and leaves and random yard detritus into them

today i mixed in some extra compost, garden soil, and a few random bags of sand we had around, covered it all with a few inches of potting soil, watered well, and covered with cardboard

might still need to add more container soil since I expect it'll settle a lot when the leaves rot, but hopefully this summer we'll be able to plant something in these babies

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

also 8b and I'm sure they'd grow well but I can't get the fuckers to germinate, the nursery doesn't have starts/trees and I've been hesitant to order some. like, I think I just need to secure a stash of better/fresher seeds

have you tried the paper towel method for germination? that's what i do with everything when i'm not sure what conditions they need, everyone loves a warm, wet paper towel

if you have a lot of seeds you can risk, scarify a couple too and see if they don't get going way faster. last year i had a licorice seed sprout in a few days instead of the month it said on the bag

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

uuuuuuugh

if this comes to pass, rip my peas and radishes and carrots, and probably my four foot meyer lemon that already lost half its leaves after experiencing its first freeze

i don't think it's ever gotten this cold in the 20 years i've lived in central texas

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Platystemon posted:

You can save the lemon. Cover it in blankets, and cover those in plastic. You may need to use stakes to support the weight of the blankets (and snow).

Then get some heat under there. Incandescent lamps work. If there’s no good way to run a cord to it, you can lug buckets of hot water out there and tuck them in under the blankets.

I have one extension cord long enough, and a 200 watt ceramic heat lamp, that I was going to use for the chicken coop, but maybe we'll just bring them in that night and keep the tree toasty outside

the cats will be amazed!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lemon update: yeah, rip

when it became clear this was going to be a multiday hard freeze, we decided to allocate the heat lamp to keeping the chickens warm rather than trying to save a lemon that was clearly not meant for this climate

the first day after the snow, we opened up the coop to let the birds out, but they did not like the snow one bit and wouldn't even step in it to eat or drink, so we ended up shutting them in the coop for several days

and once their bird net collapsed in the freezing rain, we had to, anyway

the herbs in pots small enough to carry we brought in, but the big ones were left to take their chances

amazingly, the peas, covered with a blanket, seem to have pulled through, as have the spinach seedlings, which got no cover but the falling snow. the scallions are mildly damaged, as is the oregano, but the sage i left outside actually looks better than the one i brought indoors

today, everyone's back in the sun. i'm hoping the mint's roots survived, and radishes and carrots will be replanted when the soil in the big pots thaws

new life is getting ready to replace the dead! the tomatoes were left without light when the power cut off, so they're looking kinda bedraggled and dropping leaves, but hopefully they'll recover

here's hoping this was the last frost of the season!

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Sweet, this answers the question I was going to ask. I picked up a couple of packs of seeds from home depot earlier this year and they were very hit or miss.

Any other goon approved seed buying places?

i like ebay, you can't beat the prices of someone who's bought ten pounds of carrot seed and is selling them in 1/8 oz envelopes

also if you're looking for anything uncommon, odds are good there's several weirdos on ebay selling seeds they collected from theirs

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

a squirrel has been digging up my beds and destroying seedlings this spring. for a while, i was able to keep him out of the important planters with bird netting, but then last week he decided to chew through the net and dig down for whatever the hell he thought was gonna be down there

there was nothing, he's an idiot squirrel with squirrel brains, but if you're not gonna respect the net, whatever social contract exists between man and squirrel is void. i found an old rat trap and put a couple of walnuts in it. squirrels like nuts, right?

well, the squirrel easily moved the trap aside and ate the nuts. didn't even trigger it. so i googled "how to trap squirrel" and apparently peanut butter works better. just dab a glob of it onto the trigger plate so he can't shake it out of the cage.

and he couldn't. but he could reach in through side of the cage trying to claw the blob out, which triggered the trap. oh well, let's try again. i can outsmart a squirrel i'm pretty sure. i reset the trap and left a nice trail of peanut butter smears from the entrance to the pressure plate.

and it worked! the score is squirrel 2, me 1, but i win on the technicality of having trapped my opponent inside a cage from which he cannot escape without my assistance. he got a short car ride to the woods to begin his new life in the off-world colonies!

but it turns out the problem wasn't over. a new squirrel immediately settled in and started digging up the planters. i know it's a different one because the holes it digs are smaller and shallower. that's right, i can recognize a squirrel's hole signature. i'm not gonna let it develop its art here, so up goes the trap again, with the peanut butter trail and a big trove of gooey treasure on the trigger plate

oh, snap. not a bright fellow, this one. he was mad as hell, kept barking curses at me all the way to the woods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYKwKynddQ

now we'll see what tomorrow brings. from what i've read online, squirrels are like water, if you remove one, another will flow in. maybe i can do a tayne speedrun but with squirrels instead of woodchucks. i've got lots of peanut butter.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

the wife feeds the squirrels. they still dig random stuff up, but I'm pretty sure they dig up way, way, way less stuff as a result. and, you know, they're cute and fun to watch

i've thought about that, but i don't want to inadvertently attract even more of them to the yard. we'll see. today was day three, squirrel three. my peanut butter jar can handle this rate of attrition for some time, but can the squirrels?

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Myron Baloney posted:

They're territorial and younger ones are always hustling, that's why new ones show up the day after you get rid of the old guard. I only trap rodents to get them out of a structure and then I make repairs to keep them out. I don't know if feeding them helps or hurts, I feed in winter and it looks like it only adds one or two to the territory my yard is in. Letting my dogs roam at will is all I do to protect the gardens. They supposedly hate garlic, peppermint, chiles, and vinegar so those might be worth a try.

yeah, i ended up only relocating three, and then the newbies seemed to respect bird netting enough to not do any more major damage, and now everything's big enough that the squirrels don't dig it up anymore. i have a bird feeder out and a few squirrels root around under it for dropped sunflower seeds, which is fine. we'll see what happens when the crops start ripening...

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

my kaffir lime had a gross looking visitor

it's a bird poop caterpillar and it has a great camouflage idea based on the theory that birds won't eat you if you look like they already did

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Karach posted:

Maybe we'll put some in the garden this year. With climate change we get like two extra growing weeks now

yeah except some years there will be a sudden hard freeze in may

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

there any hot tips for doing leaf cuttings? wanna clone the poo poo out of my yerba matte

i would google how to propagate yerba mate from cuttings i guess