Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

ding ding ding.

The main clue other than the grip shape which maybe I should have cropped is the circular cam which moves upward into the bolt when the trigger is pushed upward to put the gun in safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

Anybody a big time SKS genius in here? Can you identify the nation of origin for these 3?

Man, that's tough... I'm going with Russian, Romanian and Chinese?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Sten Freak posted:

ding ding ding.

The main clue other than the grip shape which maybe I should have cropped is the circular cam which moves upward into the bolt when the trigger is pushed upward to put the gun in safe.

I think the main clue for me is knowing you're the guy who owns a MAS-38 on here lol

Re: SKS, nice job! The left is indeed Russian and the right is indeed Chinese. The center one is not Romanian though, feel like giving it another guess?

And just to add confusion, what if I throw these two into the mix?

&

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

flightless greeb posted:

I think the main clue for me is knowing you're the guy who owns a MAS-38 on here lol
welp, I shoulda cropped out the grip completely.

There is probably nothing i could post that would be hard unless it's just a sear or something.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

welp, I shoulda cropped out the grip completely.

There is probably nothing i could post that would be hard unless it's just a sear or something.

I think the most fun bits are small parts that are unique but people have to think about. Hence the Luger firing pin.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think the most fun bits are small parts that are unique but people have to think about. Hence the Luger firing pin.

Are you saying you don't like my 5 boring nearly identical SKS'????

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The Albanian one is easy. I have a gut feeling one of the others is a Yugo M59 but I wouldn't bet money on that.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

You all pretty much got it! In the pic w/ 3, its a Tula Russian SKS, the mystery one is a Sino-Soviet from Factory 26 or whatever it was, that first factory where the Soviets gave the chinese tooling to make SKS, then a Norinco on the right. Then next is the Albanian like somebody said and lastly a Yugo M59 (no grenade launcher on the M59s)

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Ok this one is too easy so somebody awful is banned from guessing ok!!!

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

That num4 looks a lot like a Scorpion cocking nub but it appears to be metal.

Another one attached

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

Is that a hakim?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

poo poo is that a VZ52? I saw one once before.

(Not me in the pic)

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon

Grimey Drawer

Captain Log posted:

Alright, I'll keep the game going -

Tell me the make, model and blade steel of this knife from my collection -

Benchmade 970 ATS-34 steel.

At least that's what it should be, but I have no idea whats going on with the blade...

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Rasheed??

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Sten Freak posted:

That num4 looks a lot like a Scorpion cocking nub but it appears to be metal.

Yes.

Rasheed I think? The swedish Ljungman AG-42, first re-calibred to 8mm mauser for Egypt, later downsized for 7.62x39mm.

e:f;b

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Thermos posted:

Rasheed??

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

Benchmade 970 ATS-34 steel.

At least that's what it should be, but I have no idea whats going on with the blade...

It's a titanium blade. Tyro figured it out last page.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

My brother came over to take a look at my problem AR upper (which he very kindly fixed) and I figured this was my chance to get some non-potato shots of the collection. He even used some dark computer magic to make me a group photo.

Not pictured: a couple of airguns and various parts kits/build projects.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Awesome pic, nice lighting! I'm gonna start in the upper left.

1. M1 Garand, idk why but I wanna say its an HRA or some other post war gun, maybe the lighter stock?
2. Berthier carbine, i would like this gun please and thank you
3. Arisaka Type 99
4. Mosin Nagant 91/30, looks like a round receiver
5. Looks like a Steyr M95 Carbine to me, the kickenest punchest gun in town
6. Mosin M44 w/ accompanying side folder spike
7. Absolutely gorgeous tiger striped stocked later war K98k, would love more info on this
8. SKS, either Russian or Sino-Soviet I wanna say
9. Don't know and to be honest I dont care!!!

ok next column

10. M91/24 Finn Mosin? That's my guess
11. Looks like an old take down Winchester Model 12 to me but old duck guns are tough
12. Enfield No.4 Mk. I, maybe a Savage?
13. Looks like a nice upside down Yugo M48a maybe? I'm not super good with random mausers
14. This looks like an Arisaka to me and it looks longer than #3 so Im gonna guess its a Type 38
15. That looks like a very nice old Swede Mauser
16. Looks like a longer rifle version of the Steyr M95 to me
17. Nice condition SMLE, maybe a WWII Lithgow?
18. Not quite as nice SMLE, this one Im gonna guess is an Ishapore in .308 or something?
19. Rifle is a Ruger 10/22, the boringest model which I also had.
20. Little pistol to the left looks like a Dreyse
21. Pistol right under the 10/22 is a Walther P38
22. Hard to say but looks like a K-frame Smith to me, maybe a Model 15?
23. Goofy flare gun who knows
24. A hybrid AR15 of some sort, A1 sights and carry handle, 16" pencil barrel, full probably A1 stock, carbine handguards and A1 pistol grip

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Some commercial fuddier guns that might be a bit harder

(The sight is aftermarket)

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

One bolt is wrong for me but 2nd gun an H&R?

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

This screams Savage, but, gently caress if I can identify the exact model.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Sten Freak posted:

One bolt is wrong for me but 2nd gun an H&R?

It is an H&R

Comfy sponk posted:

This screams Savage, but, gently caress if I can identify the exact model.

Nope.aiff

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

A few rifles from my collection that might be a bit harder to identify. I don't have any handguns that are very obscure, so these are my favs.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

I found an old .22 bolt-action rifle with a tube mag and wood stock, so fairly standard looking thing, and the only marking on it is "RANGER .22 CAL S-L-LR"

s will know, and that's a huge hint, so bonus if you know the origin of the mystery gun

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Thermos posted:

A few rifles from my collection that might be a bit harder to identify. I don't have any handguns that are very obscure, so these are my favs.

Don't know the top three but the bottom three are a sporter krag, a sporterized or shortened K98k maybe? And a sporterized Ross Mk II? Maybe

Pistols look like a SIG P210 Legend, an HK Mk23 and maybe a Smith 586? Or possibly a Taurus?

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Jehde posted:

I found an old .22 bolt-action rifle with a tube mag and wood stock, so fairly standard looking thing, and the only marking on it is "RANGER .22 CAL S-L-LR"

s will know, and that's a huge hint, so bonus if you know the origin of the mystery gun

I assume a Cooey of some kind?

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

It is made by Cooey, and it's a clone of their model 60, but it doesn't say Cooey or anything else on the gun at all.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Jehde posted:

It is made by Cooey, and it's a clone of their model 60, but it doesn't say Cooey or anything else on the gun at all.

Winchester licensed their rifles, right? I know the Savage 64 is based on a Cooey design, but Ranger sounds more like a Winchester product name.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

flightless greeb posted:

Don't know the top three but the bottom three are a sporter krag, a sporterized or shortened K98k maybe? And a sporterized Ross Mk II? Maybe

Pistols look like a SIG P210 Legend, an HK Mk23 and maybe a Smith 586? Or possibly a Taurus?
Good guesses! They are, from the top:

Savage Mark 1 FVT
Lakefield Mark 1 (before they were bought by Savage)
Gustloff-Werke 317K
Sporterized Norwegian Krag
Norinco JW-25a
Ross 1905 R Factory sporter
P210, Mark 23, Colt King Cobra

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Beardless posted:

Winchester licensed their rifles, right? I know the Savage 64 is based on a Cooey design, but Ranger sounds more like a Winchester product name.

Winchester did produce them after buying the factory, but those ones have "MFG. BY WINCHESTER" marked on them as well. Don't think Savage still carries on the model 60, but Savage marks their guns as Savage as well. There are a couple other alternatively named model 60s, but they all mark either the manufacturer or distributor. The missing piece may be lore so the now defunct Eaton's department store commissioned some model 60s to sell as well, but I guess they didn't bother marking their store name on the gun, just called them Ranger Repeaters and that was that.

#30 near the bottom. I like how the catalogue mentions "a well-known manufacturer", but never mentions Cooey at all.

The dead department store mystery gun, with a Weaver 3x:

Jehde fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 15, 2020

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Jehde posted:

Winchester did produce them after buying the factory, but those ones have "MFG. BY WINCHESTER" marked on them as well. Don't think Savage still carries on the model 60, but Savage marks their guns as Savage as well. There are a couple other alternatively named model 60s, but they all mark either the manufacturer or distributor. The missing piece may be lore so the now defunct Eaton's department store commissioned some model 60s to sell as well, but I guess they didn't bother marking their store name on the gun, just called them Ranger Repeaters and that was that.

#30 near the bottom. I like how the catalogue mentions "a well-known manufacturer", but never mentions Cooey at all.

The dead department store mystery gun, with a Weaver 3x:

Actually I have heard of Eaton's, in passing at least, from watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyDsF-Gp3o

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

flightless greeb posted:

I'm gonna start in the upper left.

ok next column

You did pretty good! Detailed answers below:

1: M1 Garand, 1955 SA with some HRA parts and a repro stock from Boyds via the CMP.
2: Berthier Mle 1892 artillery musketoon, made at Chatellerault in 1900 and rebarreled in 1935.
3: Arisaka Type 99, low number no-series Nagoya. Mum ground off and sadly missing all the bells and whistles.
4: Mosin M91/30, 1943 Izhevsk that got refurbed postwar. Not quite peak AY BLYAT NEMTSY but close.
5: Mannlicher M95, 1920 Steyr war reparations carbine with Czech markings. Would probably kick like a mule but I somehow got one that was never updated to 8x56R so I can't easily shoot it.
6: Mosin M44, 1952 Polish. Really nice finish on this one.
7: Kar 98k, Soviet capture and refurb of a 1942 rifle. Has a postwar Yugo replacement stock because the laminated one was coming apart.
8: Sino-Soviet SKS, probably from 1957 and came out of Albania. Stock is chewed up but not quite as bad as it looks here.
9: Savage Mk IIF, one of the only guns I ever bought NIB and first victim of an attempt at gun painting. Pretty sure I made this after DJExile did up a .22 to look like a Van Halen guitar.

And in the right column,

10: Mosin M91, 1940 Finnish rebuild of an 1898 Tula captured and reissued by Austria-Hungary.
11: Stevens Model 620, probably mid-1930s. The 620 was a cosmetic update of the Model 520 designed by John Browning and introduced before WWI. Like the Winchester, the 520/620 is a takedown design that saw US military service.
12: Lee-Enfield No 4 Mk 1/3, 1953 Fazakerley FTR rebuild of a 1944 Savage No 4 Mk 1*. Someone ground off the US PROPERTY mark but it's in good condition otherwise.
13: Spanish Mauser M1916, a scrubbed 7.62 NATO rebuild of an Oviedo 7mm original. Looks nice from a distance but the action is really sloppy. Been thinking of getting some plastic training ammo and using it as a short range can blaster.
14: Arisaka Type 38, Koishikawa production from WWI or shortly after. Ground mum, pitted bore and clipped firing pin. Not a bad wallhanger though.
15: Swedish Mauser m/96, a beautiful 1905 Carl Gustafs. Easily the nicest gun I own and I bitterly regret not buying more surplus ammo before it dried up.
16: Carcano M91/41, made by Armaguerra Cremona shortly before the 1943 armistice. Refurbed at Terni after the war.
17: Lee-Enfield Mk III*, a BSA transitional example from late 1915. Still need to find a Lithgow and a Long Branch.
18: Ishapore 2A, a 1964 example from before they changed the rear sight. Ugly as sin but in good shape under the hood.
19: Ruger 10/22 from 1968, because finding a C&R one at a good price finally motivated me to buy instead of borrowing. Might dress it up like an M1 carbine some day.
20: Dreyse 1907 with WWI German army mark and Franzite replacement grips.
21: Walther P38, a 1944 byf that would be all matching if it wasn't missing the locking block. Got a replacement block but I still need to clean this one up some.
22: S&W pre-Model 14 from 1956 or so, with Fuzzy Farrant grips stocks and a jeweled hammer plus trigger. Bought on Sixgun's recommendation.
23: Japanese-made flare gun from the 1960s, found while we were clearing out my late grandmother's house. Might have come off one of the sailboats she and my grandfather owned.
24: Kitbashed AR I made up using a Colt 9mm upper and my bargain bin A1 build's lower. Just something to play around with until I get the A1 upper and 9mm lower assembled.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Beardless posted:

Actually I have heard of Eaton's, in passing at least, from watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyDsF-Gp3o

The NFB is fantastic and this is a great film I hadn't seen yet, cheers. Monsieur Eaton and the POV rocking chair animation are great, also like that the moral of the story is gently caress the leafs.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Challenge mode, bolt only

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Easy peezy lemon squeezy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Challenge mode, bolt only

Single shot .22 bolt action, probably from the 30s-50s is the best I can do, it reminds me of the bolt my Winchester 67, but it's not the same. I'm gonna take a chance and guess that whatever it is, it's manually cocked, too.