Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Beardless posted:

Single shot .22 bolt action, probably from the 30s-50s [...] it's manually cocked, too.

yes on these points, not a winchester though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Challenge mode, bolt only

Probably wrong but it reminds me of the bolt on the family Marlin 15Y.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Browning 1903?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Parts Kit posted:

Probably wrong but it reminds me of the bolt on the family Marlin 15Y.

Got the brand right, honestly there might be significant parts shared. It's an early model Marlin 100. It's only marked with the Marlin stamping and the caliber, no model, number no serial number.

Dates from the late 30's to early 40's. It's likely the oldest gun I have but my K98k falls right at the end of the production of the early model. All this stuff I had to clean from about 3 paragraphs in the big book of Marlin about the 100. Cheap single shot from the late depression era into WWII.

Handy little gun with a nasty gotcha. If you cock the striker and want to unload the gun, you MUST manually decock before lifting the bolt handle or the gun will fire as the striker notch rotates off the sear, which is no bueno.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Handy little gun with a nasty gotcha. If you cock the striker and want to unload the gun, you MUST manually decock before lifting the bolt handle or the gun will fire as the striker notch rotates off the sear, which is no bueno.

The Winchester 67, another cheap manually-cocked single shot .22 from the Depression, does something similar, though if anything even worse. If it's cocked, the bolt hangs up about halfway through lifting it, and then if you put it back down it fires.

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Somebody Awful posted:

Browning 1903?

I'll give it to ya. Browning design, Colt manufacture.

Thermos
Mar 29, 2019

Shaocaholica posted:

Easy peezy lemon squeezy

M10x

How are they anyway?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Thermos posted:

M10x

How are they anyway?

I still have my face. Itís no AK/Sig 5XX. Lots of DITS features and complications but itís not defective or bad.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Comfy sponk posted:

I'll give it to ya. Browning design, Colt manufacture.

Darn I was gonna guess a Colt 1903 but then I forgot to hit post! I remember those interrupted threads from the one I owned.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

I guessed that H&R but I donít know models other than the one I have.

Hereís one. What they are and why they are different other than the look.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Sten Freak posted:

I didnít know guns had spark plugs.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Sten Freak posted:

They look like charging handles, for what I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the one on the right also functions as a bolt hold-open if you push it into a recess in the receiver at the right spot.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Beardless posted:

They look like charging handles, for what I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that the one on the right also functions as a bolt hold-open if you push it into a recess in the receiver at the right spot.
Good instinct. This is right except the one on the right holds the bolt in place as a safety in the closed state.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

They deffo charging handles. My guess is they are Sten charging handles

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

They deffo charging handles. My guess is they are Sten charging handles

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hereís a tricky one:

This last one is of the bottom of it

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

College Slice

Iím so obvious.

So in early Stens it was found you could insert a loaded mag with the bolt forward, drop the gun and possibly cause the bolt to go back far enough to strip a round and fire it. So they added the extra bit and put a hole in the receiver

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I still believe they are in fact spark plugs.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hereís a tricky one:

FN49 bolt.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Some fun design heritage here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok maybe not so tricky.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hereís a tricky one:

This last one is of the bottom of it

I was going to guess it was a semi auto tilting bolt. That doesn't leave many choices if you discount any super rare guns. What is yours chambered in?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I was going to guess it was a semi auto tilting bolt. That doesn't leave many choices if you discount any super rare guns. What is yours chambered in?

.30-06. Luxembourg issued rifle. Works great with the same M2 I feed my Garand.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Cyrano4747 posted:

.30-06. Luxembourg issued rifle. Works great with the same M2 I feed my Garand.

How is the recoil compared to the garand?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

How is the recoil compared to the garand?

Sharper would be the best way to describe it. The recoil impulse is just longer on the Garand, and ends up feeling softer, probably because of that huge as gently caress op-rod and big rear end bolt all clonking around doing their things. That said, it also feels like it moves a little less when you fire it, again probably because you don't have all that reciprocating mass bouncing around.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok maybe not so tricky.

No flaps, no rollers, and I know you don't have a G41(M) yet so that narrows it down pretty good.

Liam Acerbus posted:

Some fun design heritage here.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

softball

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

Lee-Enfield Mk V trials rifle.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Somebody Awful posted:

Lee-Enfield Mk V trials rifle.

Is that like rare or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

They made something like 20,000 for troop testing and never formally adopted it. So yeah, it's fairly rare.