Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Arist posted:

Oh, gently caress! The cat’s here! I totally forgot about you, man!

But don’t worry about us! There isn’t even a one in a million chance that my Phantom Thieves could ever lose!
I see… Well, I won’t stop you. However… could I ask a favor? Or rather, could you promise me something?

Unless I'm missing something, I thought the big tell that Akechi was up to someting was that he understoof what Morgana was saying when he shouldn't have been able to. So how is Kasumi able to understand Morgana if she hasn't become you know what was teased in the intro?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

C. Everett Koop posted:

Unless I'm missing something, I thought the big tell that Akechi was up to someting was that he understoof what Morgana was saying when he shouldn't have been able to. So how is Kasumi able to understand Morgana if she hasn't become you know what was teased in the intro?

Maaku and Morgana have already seen her awakening: Chapter 142: 10/3: Mental Gymnastics (New)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

C. Everett Koop posted:

She heard him during her Persona awakening, back in October.

The Akechi hearing Morgana scene is suspect because even if he had awakened to his Persona before then and was hiding it, he would have needed to hear him in the Metaverse to alter his cognition in the real world.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Madarame's palace does imply that Akechi has been spying on the group inside the palaces, or at the very least visited the same environments that they have, so it's not too much of a stretch that he's heard Morgana talk before.

Extremely mild spoilers for Strikers: Game confirms that you don't need to be a Persona user to get the understanding Morgana perk, which makes it super rude that nobody ever pulled Sojiro in so he could talk to the cat!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Cloacamazing! posted:

Extremely mild spoilers for Strikers: Game confirms that you don't need to be a Persona user to get the understanding Morgana perk, which makes it super rude that nobody ever pulled Sojiro in so he could talk to the cat!

Maaku is doing him a solid by making sure he does not need to heard the term "Lady Ann" ever in his lifetime

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Flair posted:

Maaku is doing him a solid by making sure he does not need to heard the term "Lady Ann" ever in his lifetime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T6HNbdi9AA

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Flair posted:

Maaku and Morgana have already seen her awakening: Chapter 142: 10/3: Mental Gymnastics (New)

Completely forgot that happened, probably because there's no real follow-up until now-ish?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SMaster777 posted:

Things like this are why I always say the spoiler isn't "Akechi is the traitor," it's "The PTs caught on to Akechi being the traitor on their own."

Also I think these scenes are made with the idea that realistically you already know about Akechi's deal so we're just getting to be more overt about it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 181: 11/18: Sage Counsel (New)

This update covers content from Part 147 of the original LP.

It’s the fourth anniversary of my starting this LP! Death comes for us all!

Anon: Save us, Akechi-kun!

Early Morning

Music: Suspicion

Um, are you all right? I, uh… I know you went to see him every day…
(Depressed Girl) How can he be gone…? I feel so sick. There were still so many things I wanted to talk about with him… Why can’t he just stay forever… What am I supposed to do now…?
…Man, you’re a really serious case. But it seems like you aren’t alone. He was pretty popular with the girls.

Music: Ideal and the Real

Glad to hear it! I wanted to discuss something with you, since it’ll be our last chance to do so here.

Yes, my time here at Shujin is coming to an end today. It’s quite the sad affair.

Considering the occasion, lunch is on me. I’ll have something special waiting for you, so look forward to that. Well, I’ll see you later!

(Black-Haired Male Student) It’s already been half a year, huh? That sure went by fast.

(Vice Principal) Well, Doctor, if you will…

Maruki steps up to the microphone and clears his throat.

As the vice principal has mentioned, today marks the end of my tenure at Shujin Academy. Over the past several months, I’ve come to learn about all sorts of conflicts that you students have faced this year. Troubles with romance, with studies—in fact, some of you have financial issues that are awfully similar to my own…
*crowd laughing*

*hushed confusion from crowd*
It’s okay to escape…?
We can…?
Um, what I’m trying to say is, even if your life is full of worries, it’s best for you not to obsess over them.

I’ll keep on rooting for all of you to have the best lives possible, even after I’m long gone.

*crowd laughing*

Waaaaaaaaaaaah…

Mmhm. I doubt we could get a word in edgewise, anyhow.

Early Morning → Lunchtime

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Since this is about to be my last meal at Shujin, I’ve brought the best lunch ever. These tempura bowls are from a restaurant I’ve been curious about since I first came to the school. I’d always passed on it due to the price, but today is special! Not only that—I ordered the deluxe bowls for us!

Well, you’ve gotta be at least a little lavish on occasions like this, right?

This is an amazing loving joke. I unironically love it.

I wish I could just get lost in this bliss forever. …Well, now that we’ve finished our food, let’s get down tot business. First off, I have quite big news. My paper’s done.

I’ve mentioned this before, but still, this is truly thanks to you, Hamiru-kun. Had you not shared your experience and insights with me, this paper never would have been completed.

There’s no need to be obtuse.

Music: Confession/Secret

They infiltrate a “reality” that exists solely for their target—a reality wholly separated from the one that the public recognizes. By accessing that world, they gain the means of permanently altering their target’s cognition.

Well, I did pour my heart and soul into this research for a number of years. To be entirely honest, it was all the way back in April… When I first came to speak with the principal here about providing counseling to you students…

You suddenly appeared in the back alley near the school—I believe Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san were with you? Takamaki-san appeared to be extremely exhausted.

Oh, hey, there he is! In the background!

Side note: if you go back to April 15th, you do actually see Maruki leaving the school after the group comes back to the real world following Ann’s awakening!

Neat! It’s kind of weird that he’s approaching the school about counseling though, because Shiho only tried to commit suicide like two hours prior! Is Maruki an ambulance chaser!?

Beyond what I witnessed, I had also been told that you three were closely affiliated with Mr. Kamoshida in some way.

I was almost certain Mr. Kamoshida’s change of heart was provoked by the three of you.

Hmm, well… I’ve been researching cognitive psience ever since I was a grad student. For years I’ve been attempting to directly interact with an individual’s cognition so I can help address their pain and despair.

Despite that, I continually pursued evidence that my hypothesis is correct.

My heart began to dance… I thought to myself, maybe I could complete my research if I were to have your assistance. That’s why I approached your group of friends in the first place, Hamiru-kun. I hadn’t mentioned any of this until now because, well, I didn’t want you to take it the wrong way and suspect my motives. But I think that’s everything I’d kept from you… Does that change your opinion of me?

A deal, eh? Well, I’m awfully grateful you see it that way. And just so you know, I have no intention of telling anyone about this. If you don’t believe what I’m saying, you’re free to change my heart as you like.
*shakes head*
Thanks to you, I finally know what I need to do…

Though, it’ll likely be through different means than how the Phantom Thieves reform members of society.

…Indeed. You have a strong moral compass, never losing sight of your own definition of justice. I’m more grateful than ever to have met a young man like yourself.

Still—thank you for everything up to this point.

Music: The Spirit

Sweet, more SP regained from Mindfulness.

I sincerely hope that, one day, at the end of that path, I’ll be able to aid you as well. …Even if you just considered it to be meddling in your affairs.

Whoops! Looks like we’re out of time. We’ll meet again though, right?

Maaku turns to leave…

*pause*

And that was Dr. Takuto Maruki. RIP Billy Kametz.

Lunchtime → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Anyways, tomorrow’s finally it! I hope everyone remembers!
The date of our plan? Of course we remember.
That means we’re sending out the calling card today, right?
Yes, today is our only optiojn. The police have yet to actually make a move, but I am certain we have reached our limits.
We wanted to wait as long as possible to make Makoto’s sister panic… right?
Yes. Taking that into account, today would be the best option. We can speak in more detail about this after school.
All right, see y’all at Leblanc!

Afternoon → After School

Music: Suspicion

Boss said he reserved the place just for us. We’re free to drink as much coffee as we want.
Ain’t this place always empty though?
I’m telling Boss.
…!
Everyone here is a witness.
U-Uh, I was just jokin’…

You’re on thin ice, Ryuji.
You’re not exactly one to talk, Mr. “Can’t Keep A Secret To Save His Life.”
That’s an unrealistically long family name. It would never work.
Silence! I’ve been listening into your conversations! You let *nine* people figure out you were a member of the Phantom Thieves!
What!?
Hell yeah, I’m off the hook!
No you’re not.
Wait, she’s been listening in on your conversa—
This is rather…
Well, yes, but in my defense: they’re all very close friends and they all promised not to tell anyone. Also, I didn’t really *tell* any of them, they all just kind of figured it out themselves.
Isn’t that worse? It means you haven’t been on your guard.
Most of them only figured it out because we did a change of heart for them.
Most…?
I really don’t know what Yoshida’s deal is. That guy’s sharp as a tack.
We’ll discuss your punishment later. We have important business to conduct right now.
Aw, man…
Right, the calling card. She’ll probably think it’s just a prank, given the hype.
I could always—
If you gave her the calling card yourself, it’d be easily traced back to you.

…I’ll do it. I can just tell her it came for her in the mail. That would be the least risky method. No matter what she asks, I’ll tell her I don’t know anything.
But Makoto, that’s…

Hey. You don’t have to if you aren’t feeling up to it.
I’ll be fine. Not like I haven’t already broken her trust countless times by now, anyway.
Sounds like a plan.

Very well then. We’ll enter from in front of the courthouse. Does six o’clock in the evening work for everyone?
Yup, got it.
Same as always.
Well then, let’s get ready for tomorrow! Dismissed!

Music: Disquiet

What did we talk about…? I can’t remember…

…And then he threw his glove at me and challenged me to a rematch. The sexual tension was unbearable.
Is that really the important part…?
He was doing this hammy “evil” voice the whole time too. Not even bothering to hide it. Very funny.
Well, we already knew the plan was to kill you, so that’s not too surprising. I think we’ve all got our parts down. All that’s left is to execute our deception. Whatever happens, you have to give her the phone.
Yeah, yeah… Hey, you said that the plan is for Sae to run into Akechi, right?
…Yes?
So, his cognitive self will appear in the same place in the Palace. What if Akechi runs into his own cognitive self when he enters?
…!
Wait, what? Do we seriously not have a plan for that?
We’ll… um… we’ll figure it out tonight! You should just… get some rest! Big day tomorrow!
Well, that’s reassuring…

Tomorrow’s finally the day. All that’s left is to carry out the operation that Makoto outlined earlier.

Now we just need to hand it over. As long as we can get it to Niijima…

You mean the phone, right?
…Yes.

After School → Evening

Music: Desire

They went with “jealousy” instead of “envy” again for some reason.

For its sake, you are even willing to promote injustice as justice… From, #Millennials…

“P.S. Does the ‘jealousy’ theme really work? This one feels like kind of a stretch. If you are satisfied with this calling card, please send your appreciation to…”

I found it in our mailbox…
To think they would send me one… *crumples up calling card* They brand me a criminal and plan to change my heart? What nonsense! They only care about disposing of those who are an inconvenience for them! Fine… I’ll just have to catch them first!

And then you’ll interrogate them in that dark, solitary underground room with only one entrance or exit, right?
Huh?
You, um… mentioned it before. One entrance or exit, you were very specific.
That’s right, there’s a special interrogation room underground. Not sure why you care so much though, you little weirdo.

Let’s do this fair and square!

I should head back. I know it’s late, but I still have a lot of preparations to make, and I need to contact the director about this calling card.

I expect things will calm down a little once this case is over. Once that happens… why don’t we go on a trip to some hot springs? Just the two of us.

We can spend some girl time bonding over… work? Oh, and sexism!

Music: Days of Sisters

Sis… Um, I-I’m on your side! I won’t let anyone do anything to you! *crying*

*pats Makoto’s head* There, there… Shut up, girl…
You need to make a call, right? I’ll head to my room…

I’m sorry for calling so late. This is Niijima. There’s something I need to inform you of… I received a calling card from the Phantom Thieves. It was addressed to me directly and—

Actually, stand by. We’re transferring command to someone else. Because you’re a woman, you see.
Huh!? But, sir…
Did I loving stutter?
Yes, sir… I understand…

Music: Beneath the Mask

Thanks, Mako-chan. It’s all going according to plan then.
So, it has finally come to this. I actually feel somewhat nervous.
Don’t freak out so much that you screw up, all right?
You’re one to talk.
I ask that you go easy on me. Well then, see you tomorrow.
Hold on a sec! Crow, go over the operation again before you leave.
It is just as we discussed earlier, is it not?
This battle will decide our future. We must ensure we’re fully prepared beforehand.
Very well. Our objective is stealing Sae-san’s Treasure. We will meet at the courthouse at approximately 6 pm.
Good! Wanna give us one last word before we go, leader?

>No.
Good enough!

All right… We can’t afford any mistakes, especially not this time. Tomorrow’s a big day for us, so let’s give it our all!

You can try to relax, or do as much prep as you can. Just… do what you need to, before it’s too late.

…You know what I want to say, right? Make sure you don’t do anything rash, you got it?

(Host) Our special feature today is on Masayoshi Shido, who just might become our next prime minister.
(Panelist) Shido-san is popular as a man of the people. People really have high hopes in him.

We’ll make some curry to prepare.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

By the way, what was that white sauce you added?

LET ME EXPLAIN

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Maaku wolfs it down.

We should rest for now. Got a big day tomorrow.

That’s for sure.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Remember, kids: Marche was a bitch and there's nothing wrong with escapism.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Maruki: If it sucks it's ALWAYS okay to hit the bricks, no matter the circumstances

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Neat! It’s kind of weird that he’s approaching the school about counseling though, because Shiho only tried to commit suicide like two hours prior! Is Maruki an ambulance chaser!?
IIRC, one of the idle chatter comments from a nameless teacher at the school on or around April 15th says they're strongly considering bumping up "his" start date, implying Maruki was already hired by Shujin for the gig, but was going to start some time later in the year until Shiho's suicide made them panic and ask Maruki if he'd start much sooner as part of the school's slapdash damage control efforts. Thus, his drive-by cameo on April 15th was probably after some meetings to iron out Maruki's new terms of employment (as Maruki probably agreed to one set of terms of employment prior to the game starting and now was basically being forced to change things up very last minute) in order to get the ball rolling on his counseling gig.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wonder what was the plan if Sae didn't come home that night and decided to work overtime to prepare for the big 'catch Phantom Thieves' operation instead.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think it's weirder that they hired him only until the exact date Joker gets arrested and not a minute longer. Which they obviously had to for the Confidant, since sneaking Dead Joker into the nurse's office is even more ridiculous than Haru's regular roof visits, but that's right in the middle of a school semester.

...Actually, he shows up in the middle of May, so if he's there until mid-November, that'd make six months. I guess that does fit the idea of him being hired on a hastily renegotiated conract.

E:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wonder what was the plan if Sae didn't come home that night and decided to work overtime to prepare for the big 'catch Phantom Thieves' operation instead.

Her bosses knew when and how the calling card would be delivered; they would order her to go home that night if she wasn't planning to. Or alternatively Makoto could call her and say there's a calling card at their house, I guess.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 13, 2024

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Arist posted:

Um, what I’m trying to say is, even if your life is full of worries, it’s best for you not to obsess over them.

I’ll keep on rooting for all of you to have the best lives possible, even after I’m long gone.

This speech hits so loving different since Billy Kametz died. Rest in peace, you legend.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 182: 11/19: Grey With Envy (New)

This update covers content from Part 148 of the original LP.

I realized a couple days after posting the last update that I actually posted it one day early for the anniversary! Oops!

The time has finally come.

After School

Music: Life Will Change

What of the calling card, Makoto?
I showed it to Sis… She took it from my very own hands…
Makoto…

Excellent work! Now, if you don’t mind, please stop crying. It’s distracting me.
*sobbing*
Will you be alright, Makoto?
I’ll be fine. I need to save my sister, no matter what.
Good to hear! We can’t screw this up, or it’s our asses on the line for real!
We’ve come so far… We’ve become quite the reliable team… Even you, newbie.
Thank you.

All right, Joker! This is the Phantom Thieves’ final heist! Give us the signal!

We have a signal? Uh… Win?
Good enough!

Let’s head up to where the Treasure is(n’t). We’ll be using Queen and Crow for the coming boss fight, naturally, but also Fox.

(voice over intercom) I moved it, you morons. Why would I leave it out like that except to bait you? No, we’ll have this showdown on *my* terms.

Ante up. I’ll see you upstairs.

Thanks, but I really don’t need you to explain to me how an elevator works.
Just making sure.

Music: Blood of Villain

How about a nice game of Russian roulette?
Stop giving her ideas…
It hardly matters. We’ve demonstrated that we will outsmart any cheating she throws our way.
Think you can outsmart a bullet?
Alas, that doesn’t appear to be in the cards today. I’ve brought you to this arena for a different game… one that allows me to fight at my full potential.
So we *are* going to end up fighting her after all… Should I be worried about the effect this will have on the real Sae-san?
Eh, it always goes like this. Should be fine.
It’s a bit concerning that you keep ending up in this situation… but all right.
Stop muttering back there! Now, where was I… My father died, I hated his killer… His stupid justice got him killed, and left me to clean up his mess… I think that’s about it… Anyway, I’ll win, no matter what! Justice will prevail!
Sis…
What self-righteous nonsense…
Enough talk! It’s time to duel!

*snaps fingers*

This is where I feel the need to mention that I think Shadow Sae’s model is pretty distractingly bad. Particularly when she speaks, her jaw just doesn’t really look right as it flaps up and down. My conspiracy theory about this (that’s probably true) is that they wanted the character to stay “sexy” or whatever, so they didn’t really deform the model for the purpose of exaggeration or caricature like they do for other Shadows in these scenes. That, or this character just got short shrift and not enough time and attention. Either/or.

Actually, never mind! Upon review, it seems to be about the same fidelity as most of the other character models… but I’m referring to the normal character models, meant for scenes with much less animation and with the camera positioned much further away. Maybe they just didn’t make a second, higher-fidelity model of Shadow Sae meant for these scenes and it ends up being pretty jarring. Or maybe it’s some mix of all three explanations! Who can say?

What is she intending?

Oh you will. There is no room for negotiation.

Queen nods.

Video: Sae Leviathan Niijima

Music: Blooming Villain

May the best player win!

Especially after the last boss, this one ended up being a complete joke. Now, I’ve heard tale of people dying to the second phase, saying she does a lot of damage as Leviathan in Royal, and I definitely had at least one massive stroke of luck in this fight that expedited the process greatly, but it wasn’t all luck either. A lot of it’s just that we’re at the point where most bosses just can’t really do much to us, especially if we’re keeping everyone buffed. Joker has his Matarukaja accessory, Fox has Masukukaja (which he won’t get the chance to use), Crow has the Ring of Greed with President’s Insight to deploy Concentrate on an ally (Queen already has Concentrate, but she’ll probably do more damage than Crow so it’s worth it to have her on damage output when she isn’t healing, so it’ll be good to use that on her instead), and Queen has Vault Guardian, which is Marakukaja but with a lower SP cost in exchange for a much slower animation!

Now, Shadow Sae is still invulnerable to all attacks before the first round of the roulette, so let’s skip forward a turn…

Of course, acts of violence are forbidden here. One must follow the rules.
We already told you, there’s no way we’re gonna follow your rules anymore!
That’s fine by me. Such troublesome people will just face the penalty…

We’ll guard this turn, because we can’t use any skills that target her in this phase while the roulette is active or we’ll get penalized.

Now, the time has come for our first round. Choose where you will place your bet!
I’m almost positive she’s going to try and cheat, but even if we bring that up, she’d just ignore us. We should go along with the game for now and try to gain evidence on her methods of cheating.
…I agree.

There’s that glass lid.

Yep.

Really!? How is she doing it!?

She’s got some kind of glass lid on top of the pockets.
Huh… How does that work?
How the gently caress should I know?

How humiliating…
Let’s catch her in the act so she can’t talk her way out of it! Have someone snipe the pocket when that glass lid appears! You’re in charge of choosing who’s gonna be the sniper!

We’ll get Fox to do it.

Look at him, scampering around over there.

That must mean the betting changes every time…

There’s really no reason to care about a money bet, but we’ll do a high-risk one nevertheless.

Hopefully your prediction will be correct this time.

Sweet, a cool 9,000 yen to add to our bursting coffers.

Heheh… Joker!

Nnh… Ngh…
You coward! What’re you so quiet for!? Say something!

Music: Will Power

Cheating?! Unfair!? Silence! This is MY world! I AM the law! I am everything! No one in this world deserves to win, except for ME! If you still dare to defy my justice, then prepare to be totally crushed!
This… is my sister’s true nature!? No… We’re finally back to a normal fight… Good luck, Joker!

Something’s happening to the roulette pockets…

Hey, those are the damage type icons!

The roulette starts to spin.

Now’s the time to get our buffs and Charge/Concentrate up while we prepare for the next round. Unlike in the original game, I we can attack the Leviathan form while the roulette is spinning, but I would still prefer to prepare for what’s coming.

Psychokinesis, eh? I’m guessing Queen is gonna want to watch out.

Leviathan actually has a different line for every result (except Physical and Gun, from what I’ve seen. I’m not sure if this means she can’t actually land on those in this phase, but I don’t think she can, I can’t find any evidence of it happening). Here’s all of them!

Fire:

My justice has revealed to me… I must judge evil with a burning rage!

Ice:

My justice has revealed to me… I must judge evil with an icy heart!

Wind:

My justice has revealed to me… I must judge evil like a furious tempest!

Electricity:

My justice has revealed to me… I must strike evil with my bolt of judgment!

Nuclear:

My justice has revealed to me… I must purge all evil at an atomic level!

Curse:

My justice has revealed to me… I will destroy all evil as cruelly as they are!

Bless:

My justice has revealed to me… I have been blessed with the ability to destroy all evil!

Anyway, it landed on Psychokinesis, and as you’d expect, Leviathan is going to target Queen, who is weak to that element.

In this form, Leviathan will target any party members weak to her chosen element with a strike of the same damage type. The Ring of Gluttony repelled that strike, so Queen doesn’t get knocked down, at least this once. It’s a good thing she has Evade Psy, also.

Oracle chimes in with an Agility reduction, which is really going to help Queen avoid those Psychokinesis Strikes.

We’ll use Ananta’s Marakunda to lower Leviathan’s Defense…

Then Fox uses a Charged Deadly Fury, which unfortunately gets resisted.

Queen’s Nuke, which wasn’t under the effect of Concentrate, does far more damage. This is because while Leviathan is under the effect of one roulette element, the opposing affinity does far more damage to her. Her active affinity will be repelled, and all other affinities will be resisted. Therefore, we’ll be getting a lot of use out of Ananta and Queen, because they both use Nuke spells.

Crow, buddy, that was pathetic.

Evade Psy (and Masukunda) is doing work here.

With double Freidyne spam, we’re shredding through this boss’ HP in very little time.

Let’s finally use President’s Insight here to boost this damage even further.

This fight is kind of turning into a joke, huh? Getting Psychokinesis was probably the best possible result for exactly this reason.

Freidyne with Concentrate ends up doing over 1800 damage, holy poo poo.

I eventually realize I can use Crow’s Megidola to boost his damage a tiny bit by avoiding the resistances in exchange for spending more SP. There’s not much left in this fight either way.

No matter what happens here, I need to keep winning!
Sis, why!?

Wow, you finally hit her! Good job!

We’ll spend the next turn healing up a bit, but we’ve got this in the bag.

Another spin of the roulette, eh?

As I mentioned earlier, we can actually attack during this spin… but I sure as gently caress didn’t realize that until I accidentally debuffed her and wasn’t punished, so I didn’t.

Almighty?

I’m right… I’m always right… That’s why I have to be the victor! All who stand in my way will be crushed!

Oof. Looks like that’s gonna do a lot of damage.

Oof for her too, I guess. Queen still had a Physical repel from the Ring of Gluttony that never got spent, so Leviathan ate her own attack. Couple that with Leviathan taking drastically increased damage in this berserk form, and we see her essentially kicking herself in the dick for almost 1100 damage.

Let’s just finish this.

Carmen learns Maragidyne, which will replace Maragion.

And Anat learns Diarahan, which I’m actually going to have replace Mafreila. This is probably a mistake, but I want to see how Queen does without Mafreila, which I don’t think she was casting all that much to begin with, honestly. I’ll get rid of Energy Shower eventually, but this’ll do for now.

Music: Regret

So I’ve lost…
Sis!

You realize that’s a mere Shadow, correct? Why the concern?
Because it’s her sister, dipshit.

Makoto…?

I know you just wanted to capture criminals that had been evading the law… that’s what the Phantom Thieves have been doing, too. But you’ve reversed the means and the ends, twisting the truth for your own advancement! This isn’t justice! This can’t be why you wanted to be a prosecutor!
You’d be surprised… But you’re right… What happened to me…?
My father changed so radically, just like this…
These are rather radical shifts in temperament. Could there be another cause even they were unaware of…?
Whatever it was, I’m sure it’s something stupid.

Yo, we found the Treasure! It was over there, somewhere!
I must thank you for your assistance. You will no longer be suspects, and the investigation will be able to proceed now.
Yeah, well, we didn’t do it to help the cops. But you’re welcome.

This deal we made… was a great experience for me. To think that I, a detective, would act alongside the Phantom Thieves…

Not too late to ditch the do-gooder routine and join up for real, you know.
That’s not true. It was too late long before I met you. But I appreciate the offer, even if I have no intention of taking you up on it.
That’s a shame.
All right, let’s get out of here!

Music: Run, Run, Run!

Uh, guys? The Shadows are going nuts! This doesn’t make any sense, where are they all coming from?

They’re moving en masse to intercept us. We should split up. It’ll be easier to evade them with smaller groups. We’ll need a diversion, though…
Cool, I’ll do it. I’m really good at attracting attention.
That’s insane, you’ll never make it!
Let him go, Queen. He’s… uh… …Line?
—He’s not gonna take no for an answer, you mean!
Yeah, that! Just… don’t die, okay?
I won’t forgive you if you do anything reckless…
They’re coming!
*visibly excited* We should hurry. Let’s go, everyone.

…We’ll see you later.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 22, 2024

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

What of the calling card, Makoto?
I showed it to Sis… She took it from my very own hands…
Makoto…

Excellent work! Now, if you don’t mind, please stop crying. It’s distracting me.
*sobbing*
Will you be alright, Makoto?
I’ll be fine. I need to save my sister, no matter what.

quote:

So I’ve lost…
Sis!

You realize that’s a mere Shadow, correct? Why the concern?
Because it’s her sister, dipshit.

I know you're playing it up for comedy but I never have gotten why Makoto's so torn up about the Sae situation. I mean, not to armchair quarterback Phantom Thief or go "well I would simply not be upset" but I still can't but feel like if I had a loved one who had a hosed up worldview/desires and it was literally within my power to fix beyond just trying to talk it out, I'd be kinda happy about it honestly. It'd certainly be a bummer at first to find out they'd let their sense of justice get so corrupted, but Makoto still seems sad even about giving her the thief card.

I mean I guess she could be playing it up and going for her Oscar for Best Actress since Akechi's there, but I've never gotten that feel from her scenes in this whole palace.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My understanding of it is that she's having the plain fact of her sister's distortion thrown into extremely stark relief, while at the same time knowing that she's at pretty serious risk due to her prominence re: the investigation. Some of that is, naturally, being played up for Akechi's sake, but also it's just kind of a heavy, complicated situation.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I do like the concept behind Sae's new second phase. No matter what party you bring, you'll always have three guaranteed weaknesses you have to watch out for during the fight (and depending on how Joker's kitted out, there could be an additional fourth or even a fifth weakness on hand). Thus, the roulette wheel is there to say "So that's the party you've chosen for this fight. Now, deal with the consequences." and have you carefully manage your team's weaknesses and hope that Sae doesn't get a massive combo rolling by exploiting the elemental affinity weakness in play.

But, as Arist so graciously demonstrated, you can flip the gimmick around and use it to your advantage with hilarious results. It's a real shame, because it definitely turns Sae into a huge letdown of a boss that has to follow the final exam gauntlet that is Okumura's boss fight. But I will give them credit for trying to do something interesting, even if it didn't succeed in the end.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You might say that designing her fight this way was a gamble. :v:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

No matter what party you bring, you'll always have three guaranteed weaknesses you have to watch out for during the fight

Joker can go into the fight alone with only 1 companion, so you only have one weakness, though of course, this is just minmaxing

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You don't actually have to bring anyone at all; Joker can solo the fight if you really want to. I'm pretty sure dealing with having weaknesses is easier, though.

I dunno if it's a Royal addition, but if you bring only Joker and can't send anyone to shoot the glass, Futaba will rag on Shadow Sae for being afraid to face a single teenager without cheating, which will eventually goad her into skipping to the Leviathan phase.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You don't actually have to bring anyone at all; Joker can solo the fight if you really want to. I'm pretty sure dealing with having weaknesses is easier, though.

I dunno if it's a Royal addition, but if you bring only Joker and can't send anyone to shoot the glass, Futaba will rag on Shadow Sae for being afraid to face a single teenager without cheating, which will eventually goad her into skipping to the Leviathan phase.

That was definitely in the original, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arist posted:

My understanding of it is that she's having the plain fact of her sister's distortion thrown into extremely stark relief, while at the same time knowing that she's at pretty serious risk due to her prominence re: the investigation. Some of that is, naturally, being played up for Akechi's sake, but also it's just kind of a heavy, complicated situation.

Also the last time they tried this the ruler died. They've a much better plan now, but still.