Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 41: 5/29-5/30: Community Service (New)

Anon: viral marketing…?

I now cannot escape the terrifying thought of the Phantom Thieves turning into viral marketing like horse_ebooks.

Daytime

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I’m not a painting expert, but I can tell his work exudes true artistry that surpasses genres.

Ah… It may have been too much to expect normal people like you to understand. Those with poor sensibilities are so shortsighted. They are only capable of criticizing others.

Aren’t you a film critic or something?

I do wish my film critiques would be read by intellectuals more like myself. It’s rather frustrating. Well, I’ll be going home then.

Here’s the Japanese Gift Set! Show your love of Japan with these items! 1 Sakura Fan, 1 Katana Keychain, and… 1 Uji Matcha Flan! This is all one set, people! You don’t wanna miss out! But that’s not all! We’ve still got more! Here’s the next one! The Folding Screen Set! With this, Wind and Lightning won’t be so frightening! 1 Elecproof Choker and 1 Windproof Choker! These will both be in one set! What a steal!

Neither of these items are very good, so we’ll go with the first one because it’s cheaper.

Music: Tokyo Emergency

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

(Veteran Pick-Up Artist) It’s all part of the process. Success will come, but only after you fail again and again. It’s like they said on Madarame’s show. The big shots at the top all started as beginners.
I think I get it… I’m starting to feel like I can do this!

Let’s go study. We need the Knowledge and Kindness, after all.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Maaku gains Kindness +1 and Knowledge +1.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

What, did you forget? Kawakami said there was a community cleanup event.

He’s still bedridden for now.

Wait… You think this was too much for that old bastard’s heart?

Time to skip town and join the circus! Maaku, you’re the juggler!
>I don’t know how, but I’m willing to learn!

There’s no need to worry. His life does not appear to be in any danger.
I hope we didn’t eff up on our first official mission… Can he talk at all?
So far all he has said to me is, “I’m sorry.” I haven’t been able to speak to him since though. He is in no state to hold a conversation.
For real…?
If he ends up taking legal action against us, our leader will be in big trouble…!
You are under probation, correct? That would be problematic…
Hey, we’re gonna be OK… aren’t we?

>You idiots worry too much.
I will contact all of you if anything changes.

Especially nowadays, with security costs being so high…
(Elderly Office Worker) Indeed. Cyberterrorism is growing. As proven by the recent incident. An information leak can be devastating. Companies must guard against them.

(Reserved College Student) Hey, if you get too carried away, we’re gonna catch flak for being “disreputable youth” again… Didn’t you hear about that dude who got busted for taking a nude selfie while he was working?
Don’t harsh my buzz, buuuddy! Forget all that noise and just keep drinking, m’dude!

As I mentioned previously, we’re prioritizing Yoshida early on to free up our Sundays later in the game.

I feel more confident when you’re around.

Well then, let’s get started.

Sun Rank 3: Part 40

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

To make your decisions based simply on loss and gain is to act like a heartless machine. The reason so few people care about their fellow man is because so few have the energy to do so. We politicians have fallen short of our goal to change society. We need your support more than ever!
(Man in a Suit) That approach isn’t going to work! You have to get the voters more excited! You’re going to completely lose the hearts and minds of the people.
Again, what I’d like to say is—

Music: Alleycat

Do you know about the Kuramoto Children?

Uh, sure, Yoshida told me. Of course I was paying attention!

That was nearly twenty years ago. I’m impressed that you’re so interested in politics. I was a member of the Kuramoto Children as well. Yoshida and I joined the same year. I made an amazing career change, going from a pro wrestler to a Diet member. I was elected easily, but I had no idea what I was doing. I realized I wasn’t elected on my own merit when I failed to be re-elected for a second term. That was true for the both of us.
You made a great comeback, though. You’re truly an inspiration.
As are you, old friend. You’re working harder than anyone n the campaign trail.
Oh, there’s no need for false praise to impress the boy here.

No, I wanna hear it!

Yoshida’s well-informed about the inner workings of politics, so I’m sure he’ll be a great teacher. However, I suggest you only do as he says and not as he does, if you want to become a Diet member.
…And what might that mean?
I’m guessing he doesn’t know…?

Oh, the embezzlement? I know all about that poo poo. It’s cool as gently caress.

You really think you can win the election by being completely honest and making good arguments? You’ve got to secure votes! Or else you’ll be forever known as No-Good Tora!
Without honesty and good arguments, there can be no political justice!
Heh… It’s been a while since I’ve heard one of your grandiose speeches.
*laughter*
Hamiru-kun, was it? Tell me, what about Yoshida here drew you in?

He seemed genuine and had a good message. Plus I figured someone who got away with stealing all that money probably knew a thing or two about convincing people.
Thank you, Hamiru-kun…

You address matters quite directly for a young person. It seems you have been taught well.
I intend to teach him everything I know. That’s what we agreed on.
I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper…

So, Fundraising will still occasionally disrupt our winning strategy of asking for money from an enemy a maximum of three times then All-Out Attacking to get the money plus the experience, because if Fundraising procs instead it just ends the battle. The upside is that the amount of money we get from Fundraising is better than it was in the original game, so we aren’t randomly getting screwed every time it procs. I am completely wrong here! Fundraising now doesn't just increase the amount of money we get, it also lets us ask again! It's great now!

By the way, how are things between you and old man Kuramoto?
We’re still not on speaking terms.
There’s something I’d like to get your opinion on, so I’ll be in touch.
Very well.

You may still distrust me because of what happened with the missing party funds… But I’m not the one who pointed the finger at you. That’s all I’m going to say.

Ah, my apologies. That’s all for today. Good job...

What a mess… Past mistakes can really come back to bite you. It’s hard to feel like you’ve ever truly escaped them. Some people can fight their way back up, like Matsushita… but many end up suffering under the weight of labels. Even after twenty years, I’m nothing more than No-Good Tora…

It’s true that I lost a lot, but… I did learn a great many things along the way. Somewhere in the middle of it all, my old stubbornness was tempered into conviction. My one redeeming quality. That is why… I want you to use your experiences to forge your own conviction.

…Ah, I ended up talking longer than I expected. Well, until next time.

Tora is so great.

Anon: sauce plz

Early Morning

It’s further away than school right? Hurry up and get dressed so we won’t be late.

Music: Disquiet

(Slimy Middle-Aged Man) You go to Shujin, right? I heard things have been rough there lately, what with that violent incident. You wanna go talk about it somewhere?
Thank you for your concern. However, I really am in a hurry, so if you’d excuse me…

Oh, this piece of poo poo needs to die.

Nearby people notice and start to whisper.

…Hey, look over there!
What the…

She looks around for help…

…but everyone nearby callously walks away.

Well, except *one* person who should really know better by now.

The girl quickly hides behind Maaku.

Oh, what the… What’re you getting so jumpy about? Like you’re anything special! *leaves*

When the sleaze can’t get what they want, sour grapes. Never fails.

Music: Break it Down

Yes, I’m fine now!

…… Ah—Um…

May I ask you something? So… what made you step in to help me?

I… see. Well, I apologize for asking something so strange. You’re headed to the cleanup as well, right? …The cleanup…?

I’m so sorry, I haven’t even thanked you properly yet! Oh no! I forgot my gym clothes at school! I’ll see you at the cleanup, soon. We can talk more then, if you’d like.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: My Homie

Did you really come here from home in your gym clothes?

I don’t understand the question.

No, that’s not what I meant…
Ain’t it normal? And, uh, are you plannin’ on doin’ this cleanup in that outfit?
Of course not! I brought my gym clothes with me.

Then why aren’t you wearing them?

I was gonna change in the bathroom, but now there’s a huge line.

Sounds to me like the boys made the smart play. Dudes rock!

Ohhh, that makes sense. Sounds like it sucks to be a girl.

Ryuji, I had to stop a female classmate from getting assaulted on the way over here. That’s a profound understatement.
Are you like a magnet for damsels in distress or something?

Dude, could you try pushin’ your way into our conversation a little less awkwardly next time?
I bet some Kichijoji clean-freak hung paper dolls all over and prayed for clear skies today.

Oh? Are you here for the cleanup too, Doc?
You got it.
Uh, in those clothes?
Oh, no. I’m in a different—

(Thin Female Student) We’re going to start prepping soon…

I’m part of the cooking crew. Hope you’re looking forward to a solid meal. See you all later.

Hmm… I can’t remember if I brought my starch and vegetables…
You mean like taro or something? My family doesn’t really use that in our soup…

I’m sure the Phantom Thieves will be even bigger someday.

Ha ha ha, why mention the Phantom Thieves in front of this random group of people? Also, shut up, dude!

Once the cleanup is completed, a lunch of miso soup with pork and vegetables will be served.

FYI, the school already assigned the groups at random. They’re four people apiece, boys and girls mixed.

Alright, let’s just get this over with as fast as possible so we can chow down on that soup and get outta here!

Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

Pretty sure the group leader here has the same VA as Shido, lmao.

(Second-Year Group Member) Yeah…

Oh, before you trash it, you have to make sure you separate the plastic parts from the metal frame.

(Brunette Third-Year) I had no idea you knew about that kinda stuff, Takamaki-san. I bet you’d make a wonderful wife.
Oh, nah…

(Uncouth Third-Year) *looks around* …We goin’ splitsies on this?
Wait—shouldn’t we take that to a police box?
*glares*
What!? How was that weird?

HARU

Huh? Sure…

Ah… Not exactly. Recycling companies collect these and convert them into vials for vaccines.
Huh, I didn’t know that… Well, that sounds like an awesome way to bring more justice to the world!

(Fawning Female Student) Ohhh, you’re an amazing chef!
I do cook pretty often at home. Let me try this little technique here…

Would the leader of each group please come and get the soup for their teams?

Including getting the hell outta here.
(Second-Year Group Member) Oh, okay.
(First-Year Group Member) Thank you for everything.

I was trying to find you so I could thank you properly for this morning.

Ah… I see.

If it’s all right with you, why don’t we eat our soup together?

I want to thank you again for this morning.

So I truly appreciate what you did for me! Thank you so much.

Sorry, but I’m not even finished!

I’m also so sorry for what happened the other day!

…The run-in we had outside of the guidance office.

This one’s at the top of the list.
Oh, the delinquent transfer student…

Hey. Relax. That was like six weeks ago. Not quite “the other day.”

I heard some of my classmates gossiping about you, too.

No, nothing of the sort. I don’t like gossip or rumors and the like…

It’d be a different story if all those rumors were actually true, though.

*giggle* Even I can tell you’re joking.

You know what, it just hit me—I haven’t introduced myself yet!

Thank you for finally noticing. It was getting pretty awkward talking around it.

Oh, sorry to make you go first… Hamiru-senpai.

Oh look, an adorable child with a balloon. I hope she doesn’t accidentally let go of it!

10/10!

I guess you sleuthed me out before I got to tell you. Well, you’ve cracked the case—I’m Kasumi Yoshizawa, a first-year!

You mean that back there? Oh, it was just some basic gymnastics.

Gymnastics, huh? Hey—don’t you think some of those moves would be awfully useful? I was just thinking about how the Phantom Thieves need to get some sweeter moves, too…

Wait… Is there a cat somewhere around here?

That makes me so happy! I’d be honored if you’d allow me!

I have a favor to ask for myself as well—if you wouldn’t mind…

So it would be wonderful if you could give me some advice whenever you have the time.

Of course I am! I’m not looking for technical coaching so much as just lending me an ear from time to time.
I see… This sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me—what do you think?

Thank you! Then we’ve cut a deal! Heheh…

You know what that means!

Music: Interrogation Room

It seems you’ve gained an aptitude for specialty equipment as well. Wouldn’t a natural conclusion to draw be that you were trained by an expert in that field?

Music: The Spirit

As you can see, Kasumi’s Confidant is of the Faith Arca—wait, what? Only five!? What!?

So… that’s unusual. Kasumi only has five ranks in her Confidant. Weird. Well, I’m sure it’s for some silly reason like there not being enough time in the game to max her otherwise. Let’s just not think about it. Really, I’m just annoyed that with only five ranks I’m not getting any reward for this first one.

Anyway, Faith. Normally the added arcana is Aeon, but not this time. Faith is from the “Visconti-Sforza” tarot deck, which doesn’t number its arcana. It represents faith (Ehh? Ehhhhh?) in others and oneself, as well as religion or science. Believe in the me that believes in you. Reversed, it represents blind faith in things that don’t deserve it, as well as overconfidence and false idols.

Kasumi is voiced by Laura Post, who also voiced Catherine in Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Yuki in 13 Sentinels, Isabella in The Promised Neverland, and Primrose in Octopath Traveler, roles that sound nothing at all like this one. She’s got a hell of a lot of range.

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Hm? It shut down… Sorry, my smartphone’s been acting up lately.

Please do not discard your trash in the bins here. Instead, bring your waste to the predetermined location for disposal. After that, we will be officially releasing everyone for the day. Thank you all for your hard work.
Well, the cleanup seems to be finished. We’re already in our gym clothes—would you care for some basic training before heading home?

I trained with Kasumi…

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The Phantom Thieves... are... uh, graceful. You must have the training of an acrobat! Maaku, please, for the love of God, pull yourself together, I’m running out of excuses to remind you of people.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Barely five minutes after meeting Mishima, and Haru already shoots him down.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

(Uncouth Third-Year) *looks around* …We goin’ splitsies on this?
Wait—shouldn’t we take that to a police box?
*glares*
What!? How was that weird?

THE GOODEST BOY!

I generally don't mind this new addition, even if they have insisted on shoving Kasumi down our throats as the Love Interest girl...it was a more or less nice showcase of character moments. Even if nice things were only happening to two of them...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just went back and fixed a couple mistakes in the update.

First, I amended this paragraph:

Arist posted:

So, Fundraising will still occasionally disrupt our winning strategy of asking for money from an enemy a maximum of three times then All-Out Attacking to get the money plus the experience, because if Fundraising procs instead it just ends the battle. The upside is that the amount of money we get from Fundraising is better than it was in the original game, so we aren’t randomly getting screwed every time it procs. I am completely wrong here! Fundraising now doesn't just increase the amount of money we get, it also lets us ask again! It's great now!

Second, I accidentally deleted an image (the second one here) before publishing this one, and I have re-added it:

Arist posted:

Oh look, an adorable child with a balloon. I hope she doesn’t accidentally let go of it!

10/10!

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

Ohhh, that makes sense. Sounds like it sucks to be a girl.

Ryuji, I had to stop a female classmate from getting assaulted on the way over here. That’s a profound understatement.
Are you like a magnet for damsels in distress or something?

Signs point to yes.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018

Arist posted:

Laura Post, who also voiced Catherine in Fire Emblem: Three Houses

:wtc:

I never would have guessed that. I know her most as Nozomi from Love Live, which is a pretty similar role.

Anyways, Kasumi is very good. Maruki attempting and failing to Salt Bae is also very good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Pretty sure the group leader here has the same VA as Shido, lmao.
THIRD YEAR GROUP LEADER: Do you think the transfer student knows Franz Bonaparta?

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Funky Valentine posted:

THIRD YEAR GROUP LEADER: Do you think the transfer student knows Franz Bonaparta?

The new transfer student Johan seems nice

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Oh, this piece of poo poo needs to die.

Well the phantom thief way would be to brainwash him into confessing his sins.

Arist posted:

Believe in the me that believes in you

Believe in you who believes in yourself!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I didn't appreciate it when I played but Maaku not even hesitating to repeat the same thing that got him arrested is a very nice little moment.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

'Student Called Yoshizawa' still annoys me as Kasumi's identifier for most of this section. I don't get it, if you know what she's called, how is her name not just Yoshizawa until you get better acquainted with her?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fighting evil by moonlight
Chasing love by daylight
Never running from a real fight
She is the Student Called Yoshizawa

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 42: 5/30-5/31: The New Mementos Adventures (New)

Never actually closed that “New!” bracket back during the last update, heh.

This update covers content from Part 45 of the original LP.

Afternoon → Evening

Must be what you ordered off the TV.

Ugh. You’re all dusty. Hurry up and get changed.

He’s received even more praise for his dynamic art style. Requests for commissions are flooding in.

MADARAME DRAW MY FURSONA

It seems that even people outside of Japan love him too. I don’t really get art…

Weren’t you the one telling us we needed to appreciate art’s value as phantom thieves or whatever?

Should I call the maid delivery service?

No, but why let that stop us?

Thinking of calling in a maid? Well, if you use this, you won’t leave proof in your call history!

Kawakami texting us on our cell phone through the rest of the game asking to be requested though? Totally fine.

This is all for the good of the Phantom Thieves… right?

Getting my dick wet is of course good for the Phantom Thieves, are you kidding? We’re reaching Peak Horny, we gotta find a way to get those levels down!

…Oh, wait, it’s you.

I have some questions about the logistics of this arrangement. Why is Kawakami answering the phone if we’re calling the maid service directly? Wasn’t it a dude last time? If she’s on-the-clock, why drop the act?

Well, it’ll be 5,000 yen with the request fee included, you know. Is that okay with you?

And furthermore, how does Kawakami even expect us to regularly pay this fee? Hey, come back! I’m not done yelling questions at you!

…Very well. I’ll head over right away then…

Temperance Rank 1: Part 42

Yes, please come in here and insult my standard of living after I paid you money to show up.

…Never mind. So, what kind of kid are you? The way you opposed Mr. Kamoshida, I’d say that you’re earnest and have a strong sense of justice. That being said… you called a maid service and requested me?

You literally asked me to! Granted, I did it mostly because I’m so very lonely, but…

I see… Oh, that’s right. You have a criminal record…

Well, then… I’ll let you skip class occasionally.
Sweet! You’re the worst teacher ever!
Well, for a given definition of “skip class”… You won’t actually get to, you know, *leave*.
Nuts!

It’s tough not having any place where you belong, isn’t it? However, I reserve the right to change my mind if your grades drop. And in exchange, you won’t tell anyone that I’m moonlighting as a maid. Sound good?

Oh yeah, sure. In exchange for not humiliating myself and getting you fired, I get to sleep in class *sometimes*. Great deal for me.

Then it’s a deal!
I’ve made a deal with Kawakami…

You’re a teenage boy.
I can answer that. True.
What I mean is, how could someone your age resist the call of your raging hormones enough to commit these crimes? Surely a normal teen would be busy sucking and loving nonstop. Who trained you to repress your burning desire?
Ah, you finally ask the right question. The secret is simple: find a situation that makes you so sexually confused and uncomfortable that it completely siphons all the horny from your body.
Incredible. We must share this with the world. Who is your master in this art?
No. It is too powerful. My master must never be revealed.

Music: The Spirit

Well, I guess I should get going.

You’ve been here for like five minutes.

Oh, please request me if you need any help with your housework, okay?

I don’t, but thanks.

That’s clearly not true. C’mon, we know each other’s secret and it would put my mind at ease…

Believe me, you do *not* know my secret.

Besides, I’m, uh… I’m considered over the hill for this type of job, so I don’t get requested that often… I’ll show my appreciation by making it easy for you to ditch class! Just think about it, okay?

Ugh… God, you have no idea how exhausting this job is…

Absolutely no talking about maid stuff to anyone!

AAAAAAAAAA

…Well, I’m gonna head home.

See you later.

Anon: ya rite lol

Early Morning

By the way, the exhibit’s ‘til the end of this week, huh… We did what we could, and now we wait for the results.

Nope. That’s one option that’s a definite “no.” School’s enough for studyin’. Let’s exercise, man!

You always want to do that!

Early Morning → Morning

I can’t go sea fishing because I get seasick easily. So much for my dream of being a sailor.

Well, think of it this way: at least it wasn’t a *good* dream.

Oh right. When people think of sailing the high seas, they tend of think of pirates. Even though they’re ruffians who plunder other ships and coastal settlements through force… For some reason, they ended up getting romanticized. Now then, Hamiru-kun. Do you know which peg-legged, parrot-toting historical figure’s appearance became visual shorthand for pirates?

That is correct. The answer is Long John Silver, a character from “Treasure Island.”

Uh, Long John Silver is not a “historical figure.”

The story of Long John Silver informed much of our modern view of pirates. Unfortunately, he only exists in fiction. In terms of nonfictional pirates, well… Captain William Kidd made quite a name for himself, I’d say. Maybe you’re familiar with the story of his execution? How he declared that he hid all his treasure in one place?

The One Piece jokes just make themselves at this point.

Though research seems to indicate that he didn’t actually have much… Still, several novels were written based on his legend, and people still look for his treasure today. By the way, I’ve heard that there’s an island in Kyushu where Kidd’s treasure is said to sleep…
Kidd’s secret treasure, huh… Regardless of its actual worth, there’s still value in letting that many people dream about it.

Morning → Lunchtime

Anon: Is this some kind of cult?
Anon: Who made this site? Ridic
Anon: Never even heard of them
Anon: Isn’t it just a prank?
Anon: sounds stupid, but yes
Anon: gtfo with that poo poo LOL

I hate those events. All they do is make me dirty and tired…
Think they’ll do it again next year? If they are, I’m definitely skipping…
Why’d the goody-two-shoes first-year come along?
Her whole “I’m not bothered” routine really pisses me off sometimes.

Poor Kasumi, geez.

Lunchtime → After School

Music: Tokyo Daylight

If lots of people are suffering from pollen allergies, it could be affecting Mementos too…

(Calm Student) Hmm, she’s the one in gymnastics, right? I don’t know her that well, but I’m definitely cheering for her. Although lately… I don’t have an issue with Yoshizawa herself, but the people who cheer her on can be kinda…
I totally get you! Everyone treats her like she’s so special, it kinda makes me sick. Especially the guys…!

Wh-What is it? I was so engrossed in my book I didn’t notice you… …Oh, I almost forgot! I have a student council meeting to attend. Are we done here…? Well then, see you.

Honor students were exempt from cleaning, but she volunteered because she didn’t want to be treated differently.

Yeah, it is. I think she’s respected as both an athlete and a student. You know, maybe you should follow her example. People will probably stop being suspicious of you.

Hmmm… It kind of sounds like you know a lot about her. Are you stalking her or something? You know, maybe you should follow her example. People will probably stop being suspicious of you.

Good idea, I’ll just stalk her more to facilitate that.

Can you make it any more obvious that you don’t care…? You know, maybe you should follow her example. People will probably stop being suspicious of you.

(Handsome Student) Sorry, but I’ve just been too tired lately. It always feels like… somebody’s watching me.

This must be an intentional reference.

And I found this hand-knit scarf in my desk, but it’s almost summer. Am I being pranked?
Oh, that’s so creepy. Yeah, that sounds like a stalker. You better talk to a teacher if it gets any worse.

What are you doing with someone else’s man!? Burn, trampy bitch! Burn and bleed in a blood storm! I’ll never, ever let anyone else have him. Ikesugi-kun belongs to me, only me!

They’re so close to each other! I wish our class would do stuff like that…
(Motivated First-Year) Isn’t that a bit tiresome? There’s a lot of people and it’s loud. I’d go if Yoshizawa-san’s going… But we’re not in the same class…
She wouldn’t go. I heard she’s kind of a buzzkill. Apparently she says no even when she’s invited because she needs to practice.
That’s not her fault though. She’s an incredible gymnast. She’s probably under a lot of pressure. Her genes don’t compare to ours.

There you are with your eugenics talk again. Way to make it *weird*.

(Easygoing Basketball Player) Hah! They’re just jealous. They don’t like the special treatment Yoshizawa-san is getting. No matter what people say about her, let’s stay on her side!
Indeed! I will continue to support her as someone who devotes her youth to sports!

(Kind Faculty Member) Huh? An honor student? Hmm, well… To put it simply, I suppose it’s a student who has excellent grades and doesn’t have to pay for tuition?
Seriously!? So that first-year’s got it good then!
…Huh? A first-year? You mean…
You know who, don’t you? That crazy girl who does gymnastics! Isn’t it kind of awesome that we have someone like that at our school? All I can do is a bridge, myself! Ahaha!
Honestly, how did someone like her… *sigh* I don’t get it…

Uh, whatever.

She’s always busy with training, or so she says, and then she goes and joins in the cleanup event.
(Female Volleyball Player) Hmm, I don’t know… I think she joined because she got pressured into it. Like, she was exempt, right? But everyone said it was unfair…
Well, just ignore them then! She could’ve gotten a whole day of training in that way… Does she even realize what everyone expects of her!? Or is she just that confident? Ugh, she’s so annoying!
I get you, just calm down a bit. You’re surprisingly hotheaded…

I heard she volunteered to clean even though she’s exempt.
(Lazy Male Student) Really? That’s so considerate! Talented, beautiful, and pure of heart… She’s perfect!
(Gentle Male Student) I’m rooting for her. I really want her to do her best.

I beg to differ. Finding money on me and not knowing where it came from is pretty creepy. I’m never sure how to get rid of it, so I always leave it in a donation box.

…To be honest, I can’t entirely deny that. Maybe I’ve been sleepwalking? I seem to end up somewhere else in the middle of the night. Don’t you think Shibuya is dangerous at night? What if I have one of those psychotic breakdowns?

A while back, I started to have this problem. I just wouldn’t be able to remember things. My memories of what happens at night are especially hazy. I’m pretty scared about it, to be honest. It might be interesting if I requested that genius detective to solve this mystery…

Trust me, you don’t want that.

We’re gonna go to Mementos today.

The first step before we head inside is, once again, to “View Requests.”

The calling card? But we didn’t send one for Nakanohara…
There was one though—Mishima’s message on the Phan-Site! For small targets like this, that’s enough.
But Mishima didn’t refer that request to us, we dug it up ourselves. And how did Nakanohara even see that message? And what if we didn’t fulfill that request immediately? The calling card effect only lasts a day.
…Shut up. Let’s just get to the targets.

This one’s old. Let’s just skip to the new target.

It sounds like many cats have fallen victim, and the neighborhood’s residents have already made complaints.
You almost got abducted too, right Morgana? It seems super dangerous. And I heard that the police aren’t willing to do anything about it either… We’ve got to help out the cat owners in any way we can.
Yeah. But there is somethin’ that I’m confused about… Why the hell would anyone call Morgana a snowball? He’s barely got any white fur.
I was wondering the same thing. We may be missing a piece of the puzzle here, but… I’ve already sent out the calling card, so we’re all ready to go. Let’s solve this one for all the cats in Yongen—AND their owners!

Let’s see, how many targets do we have…? 2 of them? Should we get going?

Music: Mementos

Quick note: I’m nowhere near done with this update and I’m already more than halfway to the character limit, so I’m going to be quickly moving through dialogue we’ve already seen for the rest of this one.

Mona gives us the Goho-Ms, check.

Pollen notice, check.

The path forward is now open. Let’s descend.

I knew it! Mementos filled me in on it… But thank you. I should be able to find more flowers deeper down. Well, I should get going. *honks horn* Good job!

You mean Jose, right? He’s such an adorable little kid, isn’t he?
Panther!? I’m adorable too, you know!
Yeah, yeah. Anyway, he said he was looking for flowers and wanted our help, right? Sounds like he’ll reward us too. Doesn’t it seem like helping him would be worth it?
I guess. I am kinda curious about what we’ll get… Why don’t we go look for him? He’s probably still around here.
Looking for him is fine and all, but remember that it’s risky to stay in one area for too long. There’s this one really fearsome Shadow in Mementos… If we hang around too long, it’ll hunt us down.
Huh!? The hell’re you talkin’ about!? Why didn’t you tell us this before!?

Unfortunately, we can’t use the Flu Season trick to cheese the Reaper any more. However, beating the Reaper is easier than ever in Royal, so it’s really no problem.

We should be fine if we find him quickly. All right, let’s get going.

Oh, those must be the flowers Jose mentioned.

We got 4 from that pickup. The exact number gained for each pickup is semi-random to my knowledge.

Also worth pointing out: Jose’s map icon is adorable.

Here’s what Ryuji’s revamped Insta-kill looks like. It’s fantastic now because it gives you money and experience.

As mentioned before, Yoshida’s Fundraising now allows you to ask for money multiple times, making it incredible.

There’s Jose! Let’s drop in and say hi.

Music: Wicked Plan

Oh, he wants the Will Seed accessory?

Maaku hands the crystal over. Better not break that, kid.

I’m feeling strong human desires coming from this accessory… But, it still hasn’t reached its full potential. May I see it? I won’t do any damage to it. I promise.

Done!

Now that accessory can use its full potential.

Let me know if you find any others like it, okay? Learning about desires also teaches me more about humans.

Remember when I told you I’d come up with a fun game for us to play in Mementos? I thought of this after seeing the subway in the other world. This’ll also prove that you’re checking for flowers in all sorts of places here. The stamps have different rewards than the flowers, so try to get as much of both as you can!

So, got any flowers for me, mister? If you do, let’s trade! I’ve got some really good stuff.

Music: Have a Short Rest

This is Jose’s current selection. He will eventually get more, don’t worry. We can really only afford a couple of Soul Drops right now, so we go for those.

Now, let’s see about “changing” Mementos. Hopefully into something good!

So, we can upgrade our experience or money gained from battle, or the amount of items we pick up while driving around. I tend to save experience for last because this game’s difficulty curve is already largely a joke. More money’s always nice and getting items can help us make that infinite Lockpick ASAP.

For some reason, you can’t leave Mementos with them—they’ll disappear on you! It’s weird. But it’d be so sad to collect flowers just to have them disappear on you. What a waste, am I right? So, don’t forget to come bring them to me before you leave Mementos, okay? That should do it. Good job!

Jose told me I did a good job, yay! :3:

Now, let’s check out those accessories Jose worked on.

The Ring of Lust still casts the equivalent of a Diarama, but now it gives an Attack buff as well, neat. Likewise, the Ring of Vanity still negates weaknesses, but now it also gives a skill that lets you place a shield to block an attack.

The Mementos conversations are back! Thrilling!

Hey, looks like there’s a stamp thing here. Might be that stuff Jose was talkin’ about. Just lookin’ at it’s making me want to get stampin’ like crazy.
Skull… You’re such a caveman.

Let’s stamp it down, Joker!

Here’s a stamp terminal. I’ll keep it brief, but suffice it to say, they actually give you a reason to explore Mementos now between the stamps and the flowers. There’s a stamp podium by the exit of every floor (including rest floors and final floors), as well as an arbitrary number of “extra” podiums that contribute to the total for a block. This block has 1 extra and seven floors, so eight podiums total.

This is an old conversation…

I feel like I’ve shown Maruki’s Flow before, but I can’t find it immediately so I’m going to leave this in just to be safe. As a reminder, it’s a chance of Charge and Concentrate on Joker at the start of battle.

Having to break a destructible wall is standard operating procedure for a lot of these hidden extra podiums.

Let’s just skip through this…

This fight is really easy, the only thing worth mentioning (which I’m certain I already brought up ages ago) is that they nerfed the length Confusion lasts so you can’t make loadsamoney by farming it on bosses.

Shut up, don’t care…

Protein? Weak.

Here’s the Shadows boarding the train to the Depths…

Hey, those Shadows’re takin’ the train down into the depths of Mementos, yeah? Wouldn’t it make our lives easier if we just hopped on with ‘em?
Even if we could, there’s no knowing what would await us down there. At the very least, I’d assume there are powerful Shadows in the depths. To put it frankly, it’d be suicide.
Th-Then can’t you just drive on those rails instead of out in Mementos like normal?
As ashamed as I am to say it, I can’t run at that high a speed. And it’d be game over if we encountered another train along the way.
It sounds like it would be better to just explore by normal methods…
Maaan… And I thought I actually had a pretty good idea for once.

The universe cannot allow that to happen, Skull.

In Mementos, sometimes the road will be unnaturally blocked. The walls are pretty weak in those spots. I should be able to break through them no problem. If you see any while we’re exploring, try busting right through them!

Already did that in this update, Mona.

Uh, just let us know before you do that… Don’t go crashing into any walls before we can buckle up.

Let’s go change Mementos, I guess. More money and items sounds good.

Music: Wicked Plan

Just watch. I’ve learned all about this. You see, the cognition flowing through Mementos… It’s got these things that are similar to what you humans call “pressure points.” So, if I do this…

Mementos shakes. Look, I know, I usually put text on the screen that says, “SHAKING”, but this has been a really long one and I’m very tired. You can trust me, it’s definitely shaking.

There. That should’ve changed it for you. …Don’t believe me? Just take a look for yourself.

This is just Mona telling us the next floor is the last one…

Let’s head in and take care of our second request.

Music: Desire

No! Without me, Snowball and all the other kitties won’t be happy and safe!
“Other kitties”…? Hey, what are you talking about?
Snowball!? C’mere kitty! You’ve gotta come over, too!

Music: Keeper of Lust

To fight this Nekomata, I brought my own Nekomata. It’ll be a real cat fight.

Anyway, this isn’t much of a fight at all. Depleting her HP is trivial. But there’s a new gimmick here, as you’ll see…

Music: Talk

If I’m gone, there won’t be anyone protecting the snowballs!
Joker, it seems like there’s something going on with this one. Maybe we should try talking to them.

Mid-fight conversation to defuse the conflict!

Okay, here’s what we know about her. she’s calling the cats she catnapped “snowballs,” the catnapped cats are “stressed out”… And lastly, “the pet owners are giving up.”

I am calm… Of course I’m calm… I need to stay calm for the snowballs.
What does she mean by snowballs? That’s so weird. Are all cats snowballs!?
Snowballs are snowballs…

That’s right… They’re all snowballs. I have to protect them. As long as I protect them, the snowballs will be happy…

W-Well that’s… But if I don’t keep an eye out for the snowballs, they’ll die too…
They’ll die “too”? So the real Snowball is already gone? Okay, I think we’ve got this. She’s calm enough for us to talk to her now. Go for it, Joker!
……

Music: Sunset Bridge

…I saw it get run over by a car. The car just kept driving, even after it ran over the kitten… Since then, I see that kitten in every cat. I always think “I have to protect it this time”…!
It’s brought you a lot of suffering, huh…
No… The people who really suffered are the owners and their cats.
It’s all right. You realized your mistake… Just don’t do something like this again.
Yes. Thank you, Mr. Kitty. Um… I have a lot of cat food at my place. So please come over sometime.
I am NOT a cat!

Thank you…

The Cat Brooch lets the wearer use Sukukaja.

Let’s just head to the bottom before we depart. We’re so close, after all.

We got all the stamps in this area! :toot:

Door won’t open…

Now, we could leave… but we still have a decent number of flowers on us. We should go find Jose and cash those out… the problem being that Jose appears randomly when you enter a floor. Thankfully, you know he’s there the second you start, but it still means the best way of finding him quickly is just running back and forth between two floors.

Mementos is an amalgamation of the people’s cognition. This can affect the environment, as well as the structure. It hasn’t been like this in a long time, but it seems like the darkness won’t be the only thing we’ll have to deal with.
You mean we have even more stuff to worry about?
In a way… I can sense rare Shadows all around us. We should explore this area for a bit—despite the darkness.

Joker, just… drive extra safe or something!

And there’s Jose.

Two things: first, when Mona said “rare Shadows” he of course meant that this floor is now populated exclusively by Treasure Demons. Pretty good rewards for us if we kill them, but we’re going to ignore most of them and just look for Jose. And second, no light means no map, unfortunately. We can still see where Jose is relative to our current position, but nothing else.

Mona learns Pulinpa (high chance of Confuse to one foe, not learned in the original game) and Fox learns Mabufu.

Let’s head in to Jose’s, buy a Snuff Soul or something, and then get the hell out of here.

Here’s the current status of our Mementos.

Same, buddy. Now, let’s bail.

And that’s all for Mementos. I did forget to get the two stamps from the first block while I was here, but we can take care of that next time. But man… this was a rather simple visit, and it still took about forty minutes to capture and all of my energy to edit just now. Mementos, folks…

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 21, 2021

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Jose is the best, really the best addition to Royal. *honk honk* Good job!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All the little things they added to Mementos make it a lot more fun. The biggest change has yet to be shown but even without it at least the game does a lot more to incentivize driving around it then the base game ever did.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The extra items are absurdly busted if you take the time to thief vision at the start and end of a floor. Sometimes the toll booth/phone booth/ticket vendor machines will be breakable, and those can give Soma level items, which get increased by the extra mementos items upgrade.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Noooo sad cat story. :(

Least my cat is always nearby for cuddles.

And you know something? Jose is giving me Emil vibes. They're both good boys and ride in a noisy vehicle.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I have some questions about the logistics of this arrangement. Why is Kawakami answering the phone if we’re calling the maid service directly? Wasn’t it a dude last time? If she’s on-the-clock, why drop the act?

I assume the game cuts out the scene and dialogue of where you talk to the service person and a direct request connects you to the maid where she answers afterwards.

Arist posted:

So, we can upgrade our experience or money gained from battle, or the amount of items we pick up while driving around. I tend to save experience for last because this game’s difficulty curve is already largely a joke. More money’s always nice and getting items can help us make that infinite Lockpick ASAP.

Some the modifiers probably make more sense if you are on hard or merciless.

Also, I wonder what is up with "stamps" in video games. Not exactly common, but stamps are a trope in video games (in how they are used in this game and not "stamps" as an commonplace real-life object). Perhaps something to be researched later, though perhaps the simplest answer is the real answer: stamps are just shorthand for we need a name for collectibles that is in a spot on the map in the video game and we ran out of ideas for how to identify this collectible as part of the overall video game theme, setting, mood, etc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

The extra items are absurdly busted if you take the time to thief vision at the start and end of a floor. Sometimes the toll booth/phone booth/ticket vendor machines will be breakable, and those can give Soma level items, which get increased by the extra mementos items upgrade.

Say whaaaat? drat I thought I knew everything there was to know about this game but man you really do learn something every day, huh?

Also the best part (to me at least) about Ryuji's new and improved auto-kill is it doesn't trigger all the time. If you go at normal speed instead of run speed you can go to a normal battle and not end up picking up useless early personas.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 25, 2021

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Flair posted:

Also, I wonder what is up with "stamps" in video games. Not exactly common, but stamps are a trope in video games (in how they are used in this game and not "stamps" as an commonplace real-life object).

See, you are probably thinking of postal stamps, which are basically stickers. Stamps in this case are ink stamps. You see how Jose gave Joker a stamp book? You take that book the the stamp stations, and stamp an ink seal on a page of the book. This is sometimes seen in tourist locations and theme parks. Give a kid a stamp book and tell them to find all of the stations for a prize. The book also makes for a neat souvenir.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Specifically, ink stamps are found at almost all manned train stations in Japan, so there's already the trains-stamps connection.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I remember when my family used to travel in the US (we’re Canadian) there was a lot of places that would give you little “passports” to get stamped at national parks or other landmarks. I thought it was really cool. I wonder if my parents still have them lying around somewhere

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 43: 5/31-6/3: I’m What The Kids Are Calling “Red-Pilled” (New)

In the course of producing this one, my internet connection threw an extended tantrum, my laptop charger broke, I had to record the last 13 Sentinels update like five times because my capture card’s long-running bizarre audio issues became even more severe, I bought the wrong replacement laptop charger, I had to retire that capture card and replace it with an older one, I got my third jury summons in like a year right after my previous obligation from 2018 expired, and I ate some bad General Tso’s chicken. Also, today’s my birthday. This is the fifth birthday in a row I have spent Let’s Playing Persona 5. Christ almighty. I’m having a great week, folks.

Evening

Also, I heard the owners talking… It sounds like Aino turned herself in. Once she pays for her crimes, apparently she’s going to volunteer to take care of stray cats.

I agree! …I doubt she remembers me, but maybe I’ll go visit her someday. I made a promise, after all.

Okay, the main word here is pretty blatantly “Japanese,” but the rest is pretty obscure stuff if you’re a filthy gaijin like me.

I do know what a kimono sash is called though, so that’s one point for me. The rest I had to look up.

Now, let’s make more Lockpicks since we used all of ours.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2, and a bonus Proficiency +1 for the double craft proc. I swear I’m not savescumming for the double craft proc, I’m just getting pretty lucky.

Anon: gtfo with that poo poo LOL

Early Morning

Sorry, I couldn’t hold it in. You’ll have to make some kind of excuse for me.
(Train Monitor) Now for today’s Train News. Today’s headlines are… “Employee Posts Nude Chef Selfie!” Wild-Duck Burger claims to have fired the employee in question. Those close to the man voiced their surprise, vouching for his seriousness at work.

You think Akechi is unaware of how the people he turns psychotic will act out, or did he know exactly what would happen here? I bet he thinks it’s hilarious either way.

“Is Shibuya Unsafe? Crime Rising!” The police are issuing warnings for people to be wary of scams. “Hotspots of Tokyo!” Tickets for the Madarame exhibit are available until June 5th!
The Madarame exhibit goes on until June 5th… That’s the end of this week. We’ll show him what a change of heart means!

Early Morning → After School

Why yes, I did do that over a month ago. I figure I should at least start at all of the jobs because there are requests later in the game that take a bit longer to get if I haven’t done that.

We need some extra Kindness, let’s do this.

I’ll do everything myself today, so you can just observe me and try to learn the ropes. Well, let’s begin!

Sweet, got paid to do nothing! Gonna come back and pretend to be a series of different people with increasingly elaborate disguises because my first day is always just training!

Good work, Maaku-kun. Come back again when you have the time.

I either always or never have the time, depending on what your definition of “free time” is.

Still, I bet this job making gifts has boosted your Kindness.

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

All right, we should head home.

After School → Evening

Nothing has changed. Goodbye.
>Okay, *now* we can worry.
The exhibition’s ending soon…
It doesn’t seem like he shut down… but we still need him to call off that legal action BS!
Was it like this for Kamoshida?
>Are you asking if Kamoshida mysteriously fell silent for weeks at a time while we all stressed over the outcome as the deadline drew closer, only for him to miraculously swoop in and confess right at the last moment? Because yes, that did happen.
All we can do is wait…

There’s a laundromat next to the bathhouse, right? If we’ve got spare time, maybe we could wash them.

No.

Stuff like that happening makes me not want to eat there, ever. There’s just no excuse for it.
(Diligent Office Worker) Besides, that guy says he doesn’t remember doing it, right? He doesn’t feel bad about it at all.
Thank you. The curry was delicious.

The scandal occurred just before a stockholder meeting, having dire effects on the fast food chain. As for the man behind the scandal, he claims that he was “fully nude at work before he realized it.”

We’ve all been there, my man.

Why would anyone do that? Did he think he was being hilarious or something?

I can’t do this anymore. I don’t even think all this studying is going to be worth it.
(Innocent Grade Schooler) They say if we keep working hard, it’ll be easier later. Then we can get good jobs when we grow up. How long are they gonna make us study though? I wish I could just play whenever I want.

We’ve been getting a lot of reports of extortion. You should go home before you get targeted.
(Drunken Souse) S’fine. I gets shtronger the more I drrrink. Let ‘em try n’ fight me. I’ll deshtroy ‘em. *retch*
Hey, don’t even think about it! These young punks don’t hold back!

(Rural Young Man) You can get whatever ya need in the country, too—just ask a neighbor! I can take ya on fancy dates! We can go for a drive! I’ll pick ya up in a limo or a luxury car!
You mean a tractor or a truck. Uh, no thanks. Not interested.

You’d seriously look like a criminal if you had one of those allergy masks to go along with your cool glasses!

Thanks, Mishima.

Oh yeah! As your strategic image management rep, I thought I should come up with more ways to help you. Do you have time today?

How does the diner sound to you? Come on.

Moon Rank 3: Part 48

But we’re meeting up with some Phangirls today.

All thieves are supposed to have some special ladies, right?

Mishima, don’t take this the wrong way, but… I’m pretty sure this is how all those YouTubers keep getting busted for grooming minors.
But… aren’t we also minors?
Is that better? I’m not sure that it is.
Oh, it’ll be fine… They don’t even know you’re a Phantom Thief, they think we’re just members of the Phandom.
I *guess* that’s alright… Also, I’m not a Phantom Thief, for the record.
Suuure… Though to be honest, I’m pretty nervous about this… I know all the proper etiquette!

Apparently if things go well, you might even t-t-take her home…

Okay, now I’m worried again.

It’s way past our meeting time…

About our meet-up…

Huh? What’s that? You want me to gently caress off? Alrighty.

S-So… both of them apparently got sick? They’re just gonna stay home. Ahaha…

*sigh* Sorry about that…
Hey, relax. This has gone an order of magnitude better than the last time I hung out with you.
Oh yeah… what happened after Sakamoto and I left the apartment the other day, anyway?
Not gonna talk about it!
Oh well… to make up for this, I swear I’ll get some really good info for you guys! I’ll prove my usefulness to the Phantom Thieves!
I’m sure they’ll appreciate it. Whoever they are.

Mishima seems extra motivated…

It wasn’t supposed to turn out like this though… I bet those girls would never have flaked on me if they knew I’m friends with the real live Phantom Thieves. *sigh* Being a guardian of justice isn’t so easy, huh…?

Hm, this seems like a worrying development. Better keep an eye on this one.

Well, let’s head home.

People typically use an alias online, so a lot of them don’t hold back when they comment. Mmm, I thought it was going to be a great opportunity to hear their opinions on the Phantom Thieves…

Next time, we’re gonna get some real hot gir—I mean, intel! All right, I’ll get back to modding. Trust me, everything’s going to turn out awesome! See ya!

Anon: Who’s spreading this?

Early Morning

Why did Mr. Kamoshida change all of a sudden?

“In my professional opinion, he, uh… found Jesus?”

Is that your hypothesis? It’s still too sudden… I believe it’s only natural to think that something must have caused it. …Well, that’s fine. Thanks for your valuable opinion. I’ll take it into account.

No prob.

Early Morning → After School

It’s not even anywhere on the forum yet… Anyway, do you remember that bully Daisuke Takanashi whose heart you changed earlier? Well… it turns out there was someone pulling the strings the whole time! It seems like Takanashi didn’t have a choice but to listen to what this guy told him to do.

I cannot believe a sidequest in this game is breaking up a multi-tiered high school bullying ring. This seems inordinately complicated for how petty it is.

Right!? It’s totally unacceptable. This person has to be somewhere in our school, right? You should go take a look around. In the meantime, I’ll secretly do a little more research too!
If we want to go after this target, we’ll need a name. Let’s go investigate the school.

(Foodie Girl) What are you talking about!? The rainy season’s the time to buy limited rainy day goods! In fact, there’s a limited-time Drizzled Natto that’s sold at Shibuya Station’s underground level!
Wow, you really know so much about specials. Okay, so it’s at Shibuya Station’s underground mall…

Wandering school, sneaking around… I saw her hanging out in Shibuya for some reason too.

Oh no, not Shibuya, the world-famous cultural center of our renowned city!

(Book-Loving Male Student) She was acting just like a detective, working on a case. Maybe she thinks she is one? She did check out some detective novels the other day. Maybe she’s just really into detectives now.

If the target is a student of Shujin, then they could be nearby. We should gather some information.

(Daisuke Takanashi) Fine! Just stop making me bleed people dry, Sakoda!
Hey, you did all that on your own. You really want me to show this to your teachers, huh, Takanashi-kun? Another word out of you and I’ll debut your film to the whole world. The “Yoshimori Sakoda Tapes” will be a huge hit.

Really forced insertion of his whole name here.

C’mon, you MADE me do it! drat it…
So, a bigger jerk was pulling the strings all along. We gotta do something about this!

(Gentle-Looking Mother) A famous artist painted them. But maybe you’re too young to understand something like that.
So… Since Kotaro’s an old dog, do you think he’d get why those paintings are so good?
Haha, maybe. Kotaro is pretty smart. I’m sure he’d get it.

Oh hey, this cat’s back from getting catnapped!

(Kind Old Woman) Yes, I went to see Madarame’s exhibit. They were talking about it on Good Morning Japan.
There’ve been some scary accidents happening recently, so try to be careful.
Oh, you’re right. The one back in April was terrible. I hope that sort of thing won’t happen again.

(DJ) The year’s almost half over! Although it’s not the season for it, watch out for that pollen…
He’s got that right… Even the seasons are acting all screwy. *pause* Achoo! Ugh…

We’re gonna stop by the bookstore and pick up the two new books, even if one of them is just unlocking a hangout spot.

Are you alone? Are you going to meet Sakamoto-kun and Takamaki-san?

Nah, I’m thinking about just taking some personal time today. Thanks for asking, though!

Hmmm… First to the pharmacy, then shopping at Rocinante…

Well, while you do that, we’re gonna head to the batting cages to work on our Proficiency.

Music: Everyday Days

Let’s try intermediate, why not?

As it turns out, the “why not” is that I suck at this minigame and get caught looking on the very first pitch. As a reminder, you need to get the slugger prize for hitting all five balls to get the full two points of Proficiency, so that sucks. Thankfully, in Royal you get the opportunity to try again up to twice if you’re not satisfied with your results. We don’t end up with the home run prize, but that’s not really an issue.

We do end up with the slugger prize though, a Harder Core S. Not even going to bother checking what that does because I know I’ll never use it.

Wow, you’ve got a really good swing. I’m impressed.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

After School → Evening

Now, when it comes to probation… A: Overseas travel is prohibited/B: Probation officers are unpaid/Which one of these statements is true? You be the judge!

(Boy) The correct answer is… B! Probation officers don’t receive a salary!
(Lawyer) Probation officers are civil volunteers. They are only paid the necessary amount when providing a report.

I think that’s actually more of an explanation of this absurdity than we got last time.

Since probation is intended to encourage rehabilitation, overseas travel is not prohibited.
You got it right! It’s pretty amazing that the chief is doing this for no pay, though…
It feels like I’ve improved my Knowledge

We’re also badly in need of Charm, so we’ll be taking a bath tonight even though it’s not a Sunday when we’d get three points instead of two. We’re busy with Yoshida Sunday nights anyway.

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Come on, we should get home before you get cold.

Anon: not even worth a laugh

Early Morning

…Oh god, do we have to? We need the Charm, so… yes. We’re going to read the loving PUA manual.

This picture of the author… That smug grin just irritates me.

Early Morning → Morning

I’m changing my lesson for today. Instead of a regular class, we’ll be reviewing last week’s materials. I suggest you listen carefully. But don’t think you can slack off, okay? I absolutely won’t allow it. No slacking off!
Weird. She’s going totally against the curriculum. All that stuff about slacking off was a little odd too… Wait a second… Is this what she meant by “ditch class”? I would’ve thought she’d let you leave the room or something… but I guess you can’t really complain.

Cool of Kawakami to completely gently caress up her lesson plan in order to give us a chance to sleep in class or whatever.

Kawakami’s been kind enough to give us this free time, so we’d better put it to good use. So, what’s the plan?

Let’s just finish off this book.

Openly reading this degeneracy in class can only help our tarnished reputation!

It was just a sleazy book about picking up girls, but it did have some good tips on being charming.

Maaku gains Charm +3.

We should thank Kawakami for this later.

Yes, it was quite based and Chad of her to do that for us.

Psst! I saw Hamiru reading a book by a pick-up artist in class!
Wow, I sure had him wrong… he’s an entirely different kind of scumbag than I initially pegged him as!

Morning → After School

Maruki’s available today, so let’s drop in and see him.

My research is going really smoothly. It’s surprising how well it’s been going, thanks to our discussions. I was actually hoping you could help me out again today.
What’re you going to do? Are you going to help Maruki with his research?

Thanks! I’m so happy to hear that. Let’s talk in the courtyard. I’ve been stuck in the nurse’s office for the longest time, and I want a change of pace.

Music: Ideal and the Real

The trick is acclimation therapy. I’ve got just the cat to foist on you. Finally, I’ll be free!

Oh, it happened on my way to school this morning… I spotted a kitten that had gotten itself stuck up in a tree. I tried rescuing it since I felt bad for it, but I ended up with the clawing of a lifetime for the effort.

But I was able to rescue the kitten, so it was all still worthwhile. All I really have to do is make sure to put antibiotics on the scratches, anyway. Well, let’s move on and talk about a different kind of pain. We discussed this for a bit last time we talked, actually: the pain felt within one’s heart. There are all sorts of ways to identify and diagnose physical injuries and illnesses… But when it comes to pains of the heart, we’re working in unknown territory. There’s so much we haven’t learned yet. Treating trauma sure is difficult when it’s invisible… If only we could somehow directly reduce emotional pain in a healthy way—like putting antibiotics on a scratch.

Unfortunate as it maybe be, we all know there’s no topical medicine that can properly heal a heartache.

Here, allow me to demonstrate…

Oh, Hamiru-kun, woe is me!

…Sorry, that was a poor attempt at acting. Please don’t look at me like that…

God, my therapist’s even more of a dork than I am. I’m doomed.

That seems obvious, right? But it’s absolutely vital to understand. A person’s “heart”—their pain—cannot be seen. Even if they spent their whole lives expressing it to others… there is no way for them to truly grasp it. It’s not like we can directly look at their hearts and remove the root causes of their pain… But for me to do any good in that area, I need to conduct further research into the heart… More specifically, I need to learn how the heart reacts to the world around it. That’s the first stepping stone to a breakthrough in a field. Once that’s been figured out, we’ll not only comprehend psychological pains that were once unknowable… But we’ll even be able to perform more effective treatment for those people with wounded hearts.

But hey, if we can get rid of people’s pain, that’d be for the best, right? I’m no fan of pain, myself. On the other hand, people have laughed off my idea as just a silly, pointless dream… and I can’t say I blame them. But still, you take the time to listen to what I have to say, and you actually try to understand… Thanks to you, I can tell I’m actually getting somewhere with my theories… How can I phrase it… I guess I could say you’re making this hazy, hard-to-grasp idea finally appear before me? You know, you could very well become a counselor yourself someday. Say, would you like to try being my assistant? Of course, I’m on a shoestring budget, so I wouldn’t be able to pay you!

I had to fight myself not to pick option #2 here. This may sound a bit bizarre coming from a guy whose hobby is entertaining strangers over the internet for no compensation, but I don’t work for free! gently caress you, pay me!

Ugh, but I need the points, so…

Joking aside, I truly am grateful for your assistance. Thank you, Hamiru-kun.

Now! I know you’ve been waiting for this, so let’s get to the mental training.

Today got pretty one-sided… I just ended up rambling again. This keeps happening.

I know it’s asking a lot, but it’d be great if we could keep—

Hold on, er… Shinjuku station? And you… oh, you’ve got no money, huh…

After School → Evening

Eeurgh. Wait, if I’m going through all this trouble to keep her service out of my call history why is she texting my cell phone? And why is her chat icon her as a maid!? This seems poorly considered, Kawakami!

Even those who only came out of curiosity find themselves entranced by his delicate imagery. The exhibition is scheduled to continue until June 5th.
That exhibition is ending soon, eh? I wonder what’s going to happen.

We’ve actually got another crossword to do today. Two in one update!

This one is honestly pretty easy. You might struggle with this first clue, but “Rembrandt” was literally the first painter that popped into my head and I didn’t even remember he was Dutch.

And then the next two clues are just trivial.

Have you been studying? Don’t start slacking off just because you’re done with exams, okay?

Says the woman who’s giving me time to goof off in class. Seriously, your first Confidant perk is literally called “Slack Off”!

I’ll be heading over right now then… I’d appreciate if you cleaned up a little first. That’ll make my job easier for sure! ♥

Temperance Rank 2: Part 43

Music: What’s Going On?

But then, doesn’t it pain your heart to see such a cute maid all dirty?

I wish I could pick the second option, it’s so funny to me. But alas…

Awww, Master! ♥ Even though your room is messy, your heart is so clean! I’ll go ahead and get this over with then!

And now, cleaning is complete!

Ugh… I have to rush over here on weekdays right after class… Not to mention the extra prep work I have to do in my off time as a teacher… *sniff* Wait, why does this place smell like cat?

This bit of summary is missing the subtle detail that most of Kawakami’s customers seem to have little interest in the “fetish” part of the fetish roleplay and are having her do poo poo like walk dogs for them.

…I was surprised that you requested me. I didn’t think you actually would.

This was your idea! I had to pay to do this!

You weren’t expecting to do anything weird with me, were you?

*involuntary shriek of pain*

As long as you understand… I know I’m in a maid outfit, but I’m still your teacher, so don’t get any funny ideas. Besides… I try not to get too involved with my students, so…

I mean, in the way we were just talking about, sure, that’s great. But in a broader sense, it’s kind of a hilariously callous thing to say, even if I know her backstory and why she thinks she has to be that way.

I’m so tired… Ohhhh… Juss five mooore minuzzz, Moooom…

…Oh, hey, do you know of any part-time jobs that pay well? I assume you make a lot, since you can afford a maid service… Well, let me know if you do.

I actually have three part-time jobs that I never go to. I make most of my money through extremely-questionable means. Now that I think about it, it almost certainly qualifies as counterfeiting. Sorry, what was the question?

I just need the money for… my little sister! She’s… very sick, you see. Medical expenses and the like. Cough cough.

Yes, I made the transfer…

Music: Suspicion

Wait, it’s not enough!? But it’s the same as last week! ...What? You need a new boat? Well, I suppose that’s reasonable… All right, goodbye…

Oh! W-Wrong number!

You’re a really good liar.

Hey, sorry to ask you this out of the blue, but… do you happen to have one hundred thousand yen I could borrow…?

Sure, I have that on me. You want, like, a receipt or something? Though again, it is probably counterfeit.

Wait, n-never mind! Owing one of my students money would be the worst… Hey, you may have some money, but be mindful of how you spend it. You shouldn’t be wasting it on services like this…

What? I keep telling you, this is what you wanted from me! Is this that *tsundere* thing I’ve heard so much about?

…I need the money, so I do appreciate you requesting me. However, you’re my student, so if we were to get involved further, things would get complicated…

How much more complicated could things possibly get?

I did warn you! The rest is your responsibility! You’re a high schooler after all.
I can sense Kawakami’s trust in me…

…Well, I’ll see you later, Master!
Kawakami left…

JESUS CHRIST KILL IT

…No, you’ve got the right idea. Still gotta hit my quotas for the week. ♥ ……

Okay, this is driving me insane, so I’m just going to drop the sales talk—

…Um, well, I hope you’ll request me again sometime! Bye byeeee!

Didn’t you just say you wanted me to stop doing this!? Make up your mind!

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 26, 2022

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

the whole kawakami situation will never not be weird but

makes me laugh every single time

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

You think Akechi is unaware of how the people he turns psychotic will act out, or did he know exactly what would happen here? I bet he thinks it’s hilarious either way.

I think he probably has gotten used to how they react, probably not specifically, but he understands the gist of their reactions; in the original game, he realizes certain changes in someone's behaviors as off and that served to continue the plot.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is so messed up that the PC can romance Kawakami and other adult women, but not any of his fellow teen boys. Yeah there's some fujoshi bait, but that's no substitute for a real romance.

LET ME DATE YUSUKE YOU COWARDS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Harder Core S. Not even going to bother checking what that does because I know I’ll never use it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

the whole kawakami situation will never not be weird but

makes me laugh every single time

Do you think Maaku can feel the milk crates through the futon.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Too much power

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I briefly thought I was losing my mind before realizing this was a p5r LP and not still the p5 one.

resurgam40 posted:

THE GOODEST BOY!

I generally don't mind this new addition, even if they have insisted on shoving Kasumi down our throats as the Love Interest girl...it was a more or less nice showcase of character moments. Even if nice things were only happening to two of them...

I mind it less with Kasumi since she's a really good character.

Whenever Kasumi isn't on screen people should be asking: "Where is Kasumi?"

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
'involuntary shriek of pain' pretty accurately describes my feelings with early kawakami events. Yeesh.

It always feels like there's two writers fighting with each other in these games. One has serious and genuine writing trying to tell an empathetic story, and the other needs to write the "jokes" for the script and constantly screams at the team about demographics and 'selling more copies if we include this'.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Funky Valentine posted:

Do you think Maaku can feel the milk crates through the futon.

Possibly not if he's got a particularly thick futon, as when laying down the force should even out over the various parts of the crate underside. It's like when people lay down on a bed of spikes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Drakenel posted:

'involuntary shriek of pain' pretty accurately describes my feelings with early kawakami events. Yeesh.

It always feels like there's two writers fighting with each other in these games. One has serious and genuine writing trying to tell an empathetic story, and the other needs to write the "jokes" for the script and constantly screams at the team about demographics and 'selling more copies if we include this'.
From what I understand, a lot of the latter is the director for P3-5, who is apparently leaving(/has already left?) the Persona team, so maybe P6 will be better about it. Part of the reason P3's female s-links were the way they were(aka "a bunch of forced dating if you want to max everyone") is that he apparently doesn't believe men and women can just be platonic friends.

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Haifisch posted:

From what I understand, a lot of the latter is the director for P3-5, who is apparently leaving(/has already left?) the Persona team, so maybe P6 will be better about it. Part of the reason P3's female s-links were the way they were(aka "a bunch of forced dating if you want to max everyone") is that he apparently doesn't believe men and women can just be platonic friends.

To be perfectly fair most online fans in the past decase don't believe anyone can be platonic friends.

Or platonic enemies. Or platonic family members. Or platonic accuatencies. or even platonic stangers who have never met and have nothing in common.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

TheKirbs posted:

To be perfectly fair most online fans in the past decase don't believe anyone can be platonic friends.

Or platonic enemies. Or platonic family members. Or platonic accuatencies. or even platonic stangers who have never met and have nothing in common.

I see the way Morgana looks at Yoshida. You can't convince me there isn't a spark there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheKirbs posted:

Yeah, I've been on the internet, I don't know what this "pla-ton-ic" word is you're making up. There's only ships that haven't sailed yet.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 44: 6/4-6/5: Millennials Strike Back

This update covers content from Part 43 of the original LP.

Sorry about the delay on this one folks, my internet’s still not fixed and also I got really into Guilty Gear lore. Please kill me.

Morning

But it’s times like these when you’ve just gotta push through the funk! Don’t let the weather get to you!

Do I really look that suspicious…?

Have any of you seen someone you thought was cute, and immediately decided they must be nice, too? That thought process is totally normal, if not always accurate. There’s even a name for it.

“Stan culture.”

Any guesses, Hamiru-kun? What do you think the name for this phenomenon is?

Correct! I’m surprised you knew.

C’mon man, we’re tight. You don’t gotta doubt me like that…

You get distracted by superficial qualities, and your broader perception of someone can get biased. Once you get that far, it’s hard to make totally objective judgments. Like, “that person is quiet, so they must be scary.” Stuff like that.

The halo effect isn’t all bad, but… I recommend you give people the chance to define themselves instead of making snap judgments. After all, it’d be a shame if your biases kept you from noticing something truly wonderful about someone, right?
Plenty of terrible people look perfectly decent on the outside.

Christ, this cat’s got it bad.

Morning → After School

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Weather very well may have the same effect on Mementos as it has on humans…

We’re gonna head to the supermarket in the underground mall and buy some Drizzled Natto after hearing about it from that foodie in our class. It’s only on sale while it’s raining. I don’t even know if we’ll ever be in a position to use this for the purpose I bought it for, but there’s a reason I want it we’ll go into eventually.

Diner time! We’ll get more Knowledge because it’s raining!

Maaku gains Kindness +1 and Knowledge +2.

After School → Evening

I’m sure it’ll be fine. So far nobody’s come charging us with anything, yeah?
But wouldn’t he wait to press charges until AFTER the exhibition? What should we do if someone contacts us about it tomorrow…?
Try asking Yusuke. He’s still staying with Madarame, right?
Oh, that’s right… Where is Yusuke? I wonder if he’ll be OK with Madarame…

>He’s probably dead. We should just bail.

Sorry I’m late to contact you all. It seems something will certainly be happening tomorrow. Madarame is on the phone as we speak.

>What exactly is “something”?

I believe he is preparing for a media announcement. I didn’t hear anything about pressing charges.

>Maybe he’s holding a press conference to announce he’s trying to get a bunch of teenagers arrested. That’ll go over well.

Guess we just gotta wait then.
Let us meet in Shibuya tomorrow.
OK! See you then!

Kawakami’s still texting us with this weird poo poo! Well, let’s go call her up, we’re still prioritizing her Confidant abilities.

Now we’re offering special services like “Maid’s Cooking” and “Together with a Maid”! ♥ With the request fee included… It’ll only cost you 5,000 yen! It’s practically a steal!

That’s the same as it always costs!

I-I mean, thank you for requesting me. Then, please wait for me, Master! I hope you have a big appetiiiite!

Temperance Rank 3: Part 49

The high-end cup noodles really do make a difference, don’t they?

The 5000% markup on instant ramen is definitely worth it because I also get to feel incredibly uncomfortable while eating it!

Don’t request me if you’re going to complain. …Besides, I thought I warned you already. Why would you request me again…?

Because you called me and asked me to do it again like an hour later! And then you also texted me about it today!

…Well, I guess I’m in no position to complain, since I’m making money from it.

*yawn* These faculty meetings last so long these days… The students are really agitated thanks to those Phantom Thieves… The teachers can’t agree on what to do. I wish they’d talk more about our bonus… I’m hearing we might even get our salaries cut…
Is this your way of asking me to request you more often? I’m already doing it two days in a row, but… fine. I’ll do it. I’ll give yet another piece of my soul to this nightmare. Soon I will run out of parts of myself to give, and then I will envy the dead. But eh, no skin off my nose. I’m seventeen, what the hell do I really need money for anyway?

Really? I’ll continue to serve you with all my might, Master!

Please stop. The psychic damage I take when you call me that is turning into actual physical pain at this point.

*sigh* …I’m going to be in trouble if I don’t pick up more shifts.

Music: Suspicion

Wait, you want how much!? But you just wanted more *yesterday*! I can’t…

…Yes, but…! …… That… That’s true… ……. …Sure. ……. Yes… Yes, I understand… Yes, it’s my responsibility, after all…

Take it easy. If you collapse from exhaustion here and they have to send an ambulance it’s going to absolutely wreck my poo poo.
My sister’s condition is really bad, so it would help if you kept requesting me!

Oh, never mind. You’re my student. I can’t keep relying on you… Ughhh… What am I going to do…?

I already said I’d do it, relax.

Hey, feel free to call me to do housework. It doesn’t have to be through the maid service. I live close by, so I can stop over whenever you need me. Besides, I’m worried that you can’t cook or do laundry because you don’t have your parents… Oh, and if your friends suddenly come over, I can always leave out the back way.

The back way…? We don’t have a back doo—Wait, do you mean the window?

I feel Kawakami’s kindness…

I need to get requested more… Good night.

For that event we chose options 2 (+2), 1 (+0), 2 (+3), 3 (+0).

Wasn’t my meal so delicious? Could you taste all the love I put into it? But you can’t just eat cup noodles, right? You need balanced nutrients! Maybe next time, you can try some of my “home-maid” cooking instead?

…Uh, I mean—you’re sooo very welcomeee!

I mean, considering how much you spend on requesting me, you can probably afford some good food… ……

Anon: Admin has to be trolling

Daytime

Music: Regret

Plainly put… I, um… plagiarized work…

Also I did a bunch of child abuse and a dash of murder through inaction, but let’s not get into that right now.

Eww, look at that snot. Gross.

(Newscaster) …And that was from the urgent apology conference by Madarame that took place just a moment ago. After reporting to the association, Madarame has agreed to the police’s request to turn himself in.
(Female Pedestrian) Wasn’t he on TV the other day?
On top of charges to abuse to his pupils, Madarame is under suspicion of claiming their works as his own. Some doubt the validity that his maiden work “Sayuri” was stolen, believing it was used for fraud. This large-scale criminal act has caused a great shock to the art world, and…
(Female Pedestrian) That old man’s done for.
After the conference, Madarame was taken to a police hospital for interrogation due to his age. However, initial psych evaluations state that he is mentally sound and likely responsible for his actions.

Okay, what!? His entire personality shifted overnight, how can you say he’s mentally sound? And even beyond that, why is his psych evaluation on the news? Isn’t that supposed to be part of the legal case against him?

(Male Pedestrian) There’s no need to be nice to an old geezer like that.
(Male Pedestrian) Why’d he spill the beans himself? Doesn’t that seem weird?
Also, a group calling themselves the Phantom Thieves posted a dubious note at Madarame’s exhibit. The police will investigate their relation to this case, but for now, did not identify them as suspects.
(Male Pedestrian) Phantom Thieves? Do these bandits have somethin’ to do with that old geezer’s apology?
(Female Pedestrian) Ohhh, I’ve heard of them before. They supposedly steal evil hearts; it’s why the culprits apologize.
(Female Pedestrian) Wait, what? Steal hearts? That’s impossible though.
(Male Pedestrian) But I feel like I saw somethin’ about that online too. They sent out a calling card for real.
(Male Pedestrian) So it was like, “We’re going to steal your heart”? That’s impressive if someone really did that.

Hey, Nakanohara! This is the last time we’ll ever see you!

You guys see the news about Madarame!? It’s just like what happened with Kamoshida!

Ryuji, we all met up to discuss Madarame. Of course we saw the news, it was just on the big screen right behind us!

And they mentioned the Phantom Thieves!
Man, this is startin’ to get interesting… If we do it right, we can change people’s hearts. With this power… we might be able to do more than just gettin’ back at society. It’ll be a big deal!

Maybe we should shut up about this in public, eh? I know everyone’s talking about the Phantom Thieves right now, but that just means that everyone’s also listening.
Either way, this happening twice is too unlikely to be written off as mere coincidence. We’re about to soar in popularity!

If we continue doing this, we’ll definitely be able to give courage to everyone who needs it.

Uh-oh, the fuzz.

Toldja guys.

Music: Disquiet

Do you know them?
You moron! Those’re attendance officers!

While I’m sure Ryuji is intimately familiar with attendance officers, why would they harass us on *Sunday*?

No.
He’s… joking. How can we help you?

That monotonous acting of hers never fails to send a chill down my spine.

I thought she was “perfect,” though?

What are you all doing here? Are you friends?

Deal with it, cop!

(Stern Officer) Hm? What did you say?
A-Ahaha! Th-That was a joke! He didn’t get much sleep last night.
Well, all right. Just make sure you disperse before it gets too late, okay?

It’s like 2 PM!

There have been some odd happenings lately, and the news about that artist has caused quite the stir.
We’ll be careful!

Didn’t you just tell us not to talk openly about the Phantom Thieves!? Why are you antagonizing cops!?
Because they’re *cops*, Ann.

…From now on, we’ll need to be even more cautious than before. Look at us! Right after the second Thieves incident, both prior victims are meeting up.

We will never even consider this level of caution again for the entire game.

Wait, you mean people might be listening to us?

Fuckin’ *hello*!

Eh, it’ll be fine. Look around. We’re the only people worryin’ about it.
I guess you’re right…
By the way, Yusuke… You able to get anything out of Madarame? Remember how he was talkin’ about that suspicious person in the black mask?
Well… I pressed him for answers, but he doesn’t even understand what happened to him to begin with.
It’s not like he actually saw his desires get stolen, after all.
It’s rumored that he may be sent to prison. In that case, gaining information will be difficult…
So, what’re you gonna do now?
I’ll be leaving that house. I can’t draw in such a place anymore.

Do you have somewhere to go?

I can stay in the school dorms for free because of my fine arts scholarship. That is… unless you’d like to take me in, Takamaki-san?
No.
Very well, then.
Now that Yusuke’ll be living alone, we can meet up whenever we want.

For the time being, we should wait and see how this case plays out.

I’ll go lookin’ for a new big target, but it’ll prolly take a while.
Let’s just act like normal students until then.

Ignoring how they could possibly have not seen Makoto, it’s hilarious that the team can hardly believe someone might be listening in while someone is actively listening in. Maaku, you should probably have just, like, told the rest of the group that Makoto has been stalking you.

Maaku doesn’t even seem to notice she was there, though. Oops!

You were sent away twice, almost reported to the police… and yet you still wanted to save him? Moreover, you ended up in a museum instead of a castle this time… You’re still going to maintain this rubbish about changing someone’s heart by stealing their Treasure?

If your time is so precious and you don’t believe a single word I’m saying, why even let me continue to spout off nonsense?

Very well. The truth behind this tale of yours will be clear once your conspirators are in custody. Now then, tell me about this new member who joined your group.

How about no?

There’s no point in being stubborn. It will only damage your position.

Wait… Madarame’s pupil? I told you that? poo poo! I can’t remember like 80% of the things I tell you, to be honest. Goddamn drugs. Well, whatever. If you already know it’s his pupil, how do you not already know his name? That’s probably just, like… in the files in front of you.

So you won’t sell out your accomplice? *angry grunt* …Fine. There’s still much more that I want to hear. It was around this time that the Phantom Thieves began to truly gain popularity.

Hell yeah we did! Wooooo!

Lies flooded the internet—things like, “The Phantom Thieves saved me too,” or, “I got a calling card”… For heaven’s sake… those lies made the collection of intel take almost ten times longer.

Aww, did your job get harder, cop? This is the stuff I love. Everyone coming together to waste valuable police time.

Now, your next target was this man…

He doesn’t compare to the previous two. Even the police had been struggling to apprehend him. So, how exactly did you take down such a well-guarded criminal? Tell me.

Well, it was mostly luck, really…

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Kawakami fussing over Maaku's health is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 45: Side Story 3: Bonus Round (why am I still doing this)

So, for this edition of bonus stuff, I thought I’d cover more than just my thoughts on the relevant anime episodes. We’ll get to those too, but there’s more to show. First up, the scene I missed when I decided not to help Mishima harass random strangers in Harajuku:

But you still don’t know Tokyo very well. This might be a good chance to get more familiar with the area… or something. So, what are your thoughts? Will you go to Harajuku with Ryuji?

But I gotta say, I wasn’t expecting all of you to come along.
I had a photoshoot nearby, so I figured, why not?
But why Harajuku, Mishima?
Well, Harajuku’s this big cultural hub, right? People from all over the world come here. So that means there might be all kinds of international villains walking around in broad daylight!
I dunno if I get that logic…

I mean, who wears black leather longcoats at this time of year!? He’s gotta be shady! And all those belts must be supplies so he can tie people up…

What, are we scoping out Tetsuya Nomura? …Only the timeliest of jokes in this LP! The cutting edge of comedy!

Oh man… Do you think he’s an escaped convict?
No, I’m pretty sure that’s just a goth style.
But my phantom thief senses are tingling! Don’t you think he’s suspicious, Hamiru?

…Look, that’s not important! You know what I mean!
If you think he’s that suspicious, then go talk to him.
Huh? Me?
You’re the one who’s all hyped up about this investigation, right? So hey. Go up to the guy and ask. “Yo, Captain Trenchcoat! Sorry to bother you, but are you an escaped convict?”

*sigh* …It’s normal to see people dressed in unusual clothes here.

Like… nothing’s gonna keep them from expressing their own style.
Cool or not, they’re definitely not lettin’ anyone hold them back.
What do you think about unique fashion like this, Maaku?

I’m thinkin’ heart-shaped glasses… dye your hair red and blue… and we’ll get you a big puffy laminated coat.
You just wanna make him wear the weirdest stuff you can find. I’ll coordinate Maaku’s wardrobe.

Anyway, no more judging people by their appearance. If they’re wearing what they want to wear, that’s something to admire. Heck, I’d say it means they’re honest. Not like people who seem nice on the outside, but turn out to be terrible.
I guess you’re right…

After all, I look like a cat, but I’m actually a dashing, noble gentleman!
Now that I think about it, it’s kinda Harajuku-ey to walk around with a cat in a bag.
True! He’s like a really specialized fashion accessory.
Is… that a compliment?

So, Mishima… I take it you didn’t actually have any leads here.
…Nope.
*sigh* Yeah, figures. Well, as long as we’re here, let’s have some fun.
Then let’s get Maaku dressed up! Oh, and Mishima too. Maybe Ann can get rid of some of your weird anti-Harajuku prejudice.
Huh!? Me too!?

Lady Ann, Lady Ann! Help me get all fashionable too!
All right! We can squeeze in a trip to the pet shop for Morgana!
I’m not a pet!
You know, Hamiru… sometimes it sounds like your cat’s really joining in on the conversation…
Then let’s get going! Just follow me—I know a place!
It’s all you, Ms. Fashionista!

Nifty.

Next up, I was asked after a recent update if I’ll ever cover a specific few bits of cut content that didn’t make it into the final release of Royal, specifically pertaining to a bunch of “memory” scenes that I believe would have played when you picked up Kamoshida and Madarame’s Will Seeds. Well, the answer is “sort of.” The only source for this cut content is YouTube videos, and I don’t feel all that great about leeching off of the YouTubers who actually captured and translated this stuff, so I won’t be screenshotting any of it. What I will do is just link to those videos, they’re really interesting and you should just watch them yourself. Credit to YouTubers “Faz” and “bainz”, by the way, who’ve got tons of cut content on their channels.

Video: Kamoshida Memories

The Kamoshida memories tell a decent little story of Kamoshida committing a “youthful” (because his model is exactly the same) indiscretion, trying to own up to it, but going unpunished so that his handler can keep making money off of him. It serves its purpose well and contextualizes the person he became.

Video: Madarame Memories

Madarame’s also clarifies that, yep, he absolutely did just let Yusuke’s mom die, whoopsidoodle! Other than that, his first and second flashbacks seem to use placeholder models because there is no “younger” version of him in the game, which is a little funny.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any of these for most of the other Palace holders. Okumura is the only one remaining with scenes like this dummied out in any version of the game (these scenes were apparently found in the Chinese version files, for the record). There’s a lot more cut content, some of which is even dubbed because, I’m guessing, localization is a loving nightmare and the way the files are organized it’s probably safest to just dub everything that was originally voiced even if you know it’s not in the game. I’ll go into more at a later date.

Now, it’s time for the part no one cares about, my thoughts on episodes 5-8 of the anime!
    Episode 5

• There’s an added scene at the start of this one with Akechi and it’s where I realize I forgot how weird and bad this show can look at times, both in terms of quality of drawings and how they move.
  • Lmao, they have to casually drop the “Ann’s a model” thing in this buffet scene.
  • This show loves to jump around in time to make its scenes more efficient, but it’s honestly pretty disorienting
  • Shido! His face is weirdly… angular.
  • Are they not gonna mention Ren semi-recognizing Shido? That plot point was kinda dumb in the game so whatever
  • Cutting out the dude actively shoving Ryuji to get him to back away from the elevator really makes this “adults suck, let’s keep being the Phantom Thieves!” scene a lot pettier, though at least they show Ann’s grievance unlike in the game
  • Shido is only 53. For some reason I’m surprised by that.
  • Like 30% of this show by volume is comprised of back-and-forth narration from the characters over montage
  • YOUNG ROCKER SIGHTED
  • Why even have them name the team if it’s just going to be “The Phantoms?” It sounds lame and they’ll probably never actually say it again.
  • Wow, someone actually acknowledged the blackboard drawing
  • Mishima’s a lot pushier about the Phan-Site than in the game
  • Okay, the principal sounds real weird here. It’s still Richard Epcar, but he’s doing a weird older affectation instead of just using his normal voice.
  • Ah gently caress it’s the Mementos music
  • It sounds like they got Nakanohara’s voice actor back for this, which is surprising because I have never heard of him before. Good on Aniplex, I gue--OH poo poo HE WAS VULCAN RAVEN
  • Okay, yeah, in context the All-Out Attack looks really goddamn bad. That said, I’m more distracted by that All-out Attack being the literal entirety of the Nakanohara “fight”
  • Oh my god Ren, do not ingest the mysterious white powder Takemi gave you
  • They’re really shoving Akechi down our throats early huh?
  • This ED is loving amazing still
  • Why is Mishima’s chat icon the number 3?
  • Akechi: stupid (according to Ryuji) with a serious sweet tooth. Yeah, that tracks.

Episode 6

• Max Mittelman is giving 110% on every single line read, to the point it’s honestly a little distracting
  • Why is Ryuji playing shogi with Morgana?
  • Another original song for the anime during this scene where they confront Yusuke about the rumors. That’s what, two? Not counting the OP and ED?
  • Okay, so Yusuke invites them inside this time and shows them an art book with a picture of Sayuri in it instead of bringing it up on his phone. They also move Morgana finding the door to here. I suppose these are sensible changes to consolidate a couple of scenes? Seems like they’re probably going to move Yusuke’s blackmail to the end of this episode too. It makes sense, but it’s still a little funky because you still need to have the latter scene where they push the issue and piss off Yusuke, they haven’t actually obviated the need for that scene.
  • They don’t even check the Meta-Nav before writing off Madarame as a Palace holder here, it just pipes up and nags them to do it right when they give up.
  • Ren, it’s really obvious that the Palace would be a museum, you don’t have to mind palace this
  • WHY ARE THE CLOUDS INSIDE THE PALACE MOVING SO QUICKLY (Okay, I actually went and reviewed my game footage for this one, this is not on the anime. They move really quickly in the game as well, it’s just harder to notice because of the camera angles. Weird effect nonetheless)
  • There’s a weird beat where Morgana jumps off a railing and lands back on it with a goofy sound effect and I cannot for the life of me figure out why it exists
  • I never got the impression that Yusuke was trying to paint a nude portrait of Ann before the blackmail. Part of that’s because he didn’t ask for permission like an absolute creep!
  • Holy poo poo they’re skipping the blackmail-as-deadline!? That… works, I suppose?
  • They’re leaning way harder into Ren denying that he’s a Phantom Thief to Mishima
  • And Ren isn’t letting Nakanohara see his face during the meetup! Actual intelligence!

Episode 7

• Yeah, yeah, Ohya’s in this… when the gently caress is Tora gonna show up!?
  • Another weird out-of-order choice, not explaining the change in cognition for the door before the “Ann models for Yusuke” scene.
  • They loving cut the music for a second to emphasize Ryuji telling Ann she’s “gotta do the nude,” and god have mercy on my soul, I actually got a chuckle out of it
  • Okay, and then one second later Ryuji tells Ann she’s gotta “drop trou” like he’s a member of motherfucking Tenacious D
  • Don’t think I like that Ren is being a horndog about this
  • Oh my GOD, Morgana in cat form trying to manipulate a lockpick with his paw
  • And now Ann throws her bra at Yusuke. Comedy!
  • Oh weird, they moved the room with the giant painting portals to here
  • “We can’t find our way because we don’t have any artistic sense!” Real subtle, Ryuji
  • For some reason Yusuke landing on his feet catching Ann and immediately getting taken out by Morgana falling was way funnier here.
  • Kyle Hebert’s Madarame sounds totally different under this voice filter
  • Ever since that loving Smash Bros. trailer, I have been unable to take Joker having a gun seriously any time I see it. Free me from this agony
  • Oh my loving god, this shot:

• Goemon sounds completely different than he did in the game
  • There’s a cool shot or two in Yusuke’s awakening, when it doesn’t look like complete rear end
  • On that note, I think the biggest problem with the art is the flat style. It does the material no favors.
  • Shadow Madarame can FLY!? Wait, I think he’s being lifted by a Koppa Tengu. Still, weird.
  • ”For real?”
  • They cut Yusuke realizing he doesn’t have any money! gently caress this poo poo!
  • Though they do add Ryuji’s amazing reasoning for rejecting “Da Vinci” as Yusuke’s thief name: “It’s way too cool.”
  • Aburaage joke still does not loving land
  • Ren is responsible here for calling Yusuke “Inari” for the first time. Guess it rubs off on your gremlin sister, huh?
  • Also realizing they cut the “deactivating security” bit, which makes it pretty weird that Ren and Ryuji had any job at all while Ann and Morgana were unlocking the door
  • Whoa, Ren, stop yelling at Igor, he’s here to help! Well, not really, but whatever!

Episode 8

• They’re making up for Iwai not getting many lines by getting Kaiji Tang to voice a bunch of one-off characters like the dude who tells Madarame about the calling card
  • Oh, lol, they’re going to handle the Morgana hook plan via recap
  • Ren, you’re getting kind of deep in the weeds with this explanation to Sae. She doesn’t actually need to hear that he tricked you and then you fought another lovely CG render, it’s implied
  • Speaking of said render, OH GOD THE TEETH
  • This is a bit of a tangent, but you know how some animated works will try to convey some eldritch, disgusting, otherworldly evil by making it 3D when everything else is 2D? I understand what they’re going for and respect the attempt, but I don’t think I’ve ever once seen it done well (not even in FMA: Brotherhood), which may just mean you actually can’t do it convincingly, idk
  • Ann resists fire, anime! Get it right!
  • This visual of the face projectile vomiting black paint everywhere is incredibly funny
  • Looking at the episodes I’ve covered this time, outside of the Akechi stuff in 5 there’s really not a lot of re-interpretation going on here. I don’t love every choice made by the P4 anime but it made some interesting changes at least that this one does not.
  • Right as I finish typing that I realize Madarame didn’t tell them about the Black Mask, what the hell!? Maybe they’re saving that for a midseason reveal after Kaneshiro?
  • They tried to replicate the crying Madarame portrait, at least
  • Please tell me there’s at least one scene of Makoto stalking Ren, you can’t possibly cut this you stupid show, I need this
  • Thinking about how the team would need to position their hands so Morgana could get in on the group fistbump and laughing
  • How are there eight minutes left in this episode? Gonna guess they’re gonna move up the scene where the group goes to Leblanc for the first time to fill time
  • I was right, go me
  • It’s nice that Takemi showed up here even if it was for no reason whatsoever and she got no lines
  • I haven’t recorded this scene yet for Royal so my memories are a little fuzzier, but I’m glad they cut the part where Ann has to shoo off the attempt to look up her skirt
  • This is actually a good place to put some of this character information for Ryuj--wait, no, this was here in the game too, never mind
  • Pretty good anime-original song replacing the ED

Finally, if you made it this far, I have an extra treat for you. Well, kind of, it was meant to be in the last Mementos update, but I forgot to actually put it in that update, so I might as well just share it now.

Enjoy.

Arist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 26, 2022