Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 68: 6/25-6/26: Funny Money

This update contains content from Part 61 of the original LP.

Music: Regret

No! Get back! This is my money, I earned it! I’ll have nothing without it!
Well, then I guess you’re about to have nothin’.
I’m so stupid, so ugly, so weak… Money is all I’ve got! It was my only way to survive and be happy in this cruel world of ours! You get it, right? It’s our capitalist society’s fault!
I dunno guys, he makes a pretty good point.
Can you focus!?

I just wanted a place where I could belong! You get that, don’t you!?
Bullshit! All you did was surround yourself with people you could use, solely for some easy money!
And you think you’re the only one who’s gotta deal with bein’ labeled? Me… and all these other guys… We’re all fightin’ against that!
But don’t worry. You’ll finally have a place you belong. Somewhere you can make amends, for the rest of your life.
We’re gonna do somethin’ about that distorted heart of yours. Free of charge.

Smooth.
Thanks, I’ve been workshoppin’ that one.

Psh. Fine. You win. I guess the debt’s off.

I’m glad you understand. Now hurry up and return to the real Kaneshiro.

I don’t get you guys at all. You have this amazing power you could use to do whatever you want, and you’re using it to LARP as superheroes? Think of the cash you could make, man!
Hey! We’re not superheroes, we’re phantom thieves! It’s a distinct thing! You wouldn’t like it if I called you a yakuza, right? Even if I don’t really understand how your “mafia” differs…

We’re not like you!

Ugh, such childish self-righteousness. Makes me wanna puke. Especially when there’s someone else using the same power to do what they like…

Music: Disquiet

What…?

Oh, you didn’t know…? It seems you phantom thieves are so clueless…
Wait, are you talking about the black mask dude? Because we actually did know that.
Hmph. Well, I bet you didn’t know that they’ve been doing whatever they like to people’s hearts. Psychotic breakdowns, mental shutdowns, you name it.
That’s only two things.
Yeah, well… He can do more stuff! Probably! Shut up!

Is that… the same person Madarame’s Shadow spoke of?
Spill it! Who’re you talkin’ about!?

*snicker* I’ll never telllll~! But you thieves better watch your backs… They’re way out of your league, and I’m sure they’re gonna be gunning for you soon enough…

The original, non-abridged version of that conversation does feature Kaneshiro using the word “Palace” a lot, so I guess Akechi told Shido told Kaneshiro about it, whatever. I was wrong to point it out last time.

Music: High Pressure

We can think about that later! Grab the Treasure—there’s no time!

Uh, the Treasure is like a billion massive gold bars, we can’t carry all of them!
Then just take a few of them!
What effect will that have on the change of heart? Will it only go, like, halfway?
Forget about that, can all of us together even lift one of those things?
Oh my god, just do it! Mona, tell them to—huh!?

T-Treasure! I wanna lick it!
Uh, what’s wrong with him?
We don’t know.

This is sooooo coooooool! Wowwweee, being a human is great! It’s… It’s… It’s… shiny shiny gold!

WHY

Enough, already! Let’s get it in, everyone! Hurry!

Grrr… Fine!

Music: Suspicion

Ouch!
You guys are so careless… *Looney Tunes-rear end anvil falling sound effect* *thud*
Me—owwwww….

I think I cracked my rear end…
Ann, are you all right!? Is yours cracked as well?
Of course not!
Isn’t it supposed to be though?
Urgh, that’s not what I mean!

Yes, haha, thank you for the vaudeville routine, you’ve been very entertaining. People are staring at us right now, though, so maybe we should get out of here.
Wait, where’s Morgana?
drat, I was hoping I was the only one who noticed he was missing.

Music: My Homie

That briefcase...
It appears to have been the cause of Morgana’s demise…
That’s not what I meant! Isn’t that Kaneshiro’s…
You mean his Treasure!?

Can one of you just go grab him before the signal changes?

Where should we open it?
How about at karaoke?
We’d have security cameras to worry about there.

Also, I got banned from there after repeatedly demanding the proprietor add 24-Hour Cinderella to his selection.

Oh, I got the perfect place.
That’s right!

Huh?

I was just in the mood for some coffee too.

Oh, you’re talking about Leblanc. Well, that’s fine. If we get caught by Sojiro I’m blaming all of you though.
He wouldn’t buy that for a second.
gently caress! You’re right!
Come on, we can fix up Morgana there too while we’re at it.

So… warm…

I have no idea what that last line is about.

Music: Wicked Plan

This place is oddly calming.

Thanks. I know I don’t have a lot of décor in here, it’s pretty dusty, the TV doesn’t even have a tuner, and I have like one game for the console, but… sorry, what did you say again?
That’s all fine. It makes this place… uh… cozy.
Morgana, hold still…
Yusuke, what have you learned about the briefcase?
Hmm… yes… it’s locked. And… I do not know the code.
So that’s a bust…

Meooowgh!
A rotary lock, hm?

…I knew it.
How did you get that?
I simply memorized the combination. I saw him open and close it so many times, after all.

Also, he muttered it and chuckled under his breath every time he put it in. “6969… Heh… Nice…” Don’t really understand what was so funny about it, but it works for our purposes.

W-Well that’s… scary. But amazin’ too!
Urghhh, that burns… Hey, hurry up and open it.

*assorted gasps*
H-How much is this!?
I believe one stack is one million yen… …Hm?
One, two, three… Uhhh, there’s thirty of them in here!?
Thirty million yen… even after splitting it, we still each get five million!
Holy poo poo… It’s gonna be deluxe pork soup combo for me from here on out!
You have to think bigger than that…
Not to bring down the excited mood… but does this money look real to you?
What!?

F-For real!?

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

I guess this represents… how everything he did was an act to make himself seem tough?
Nooooooooo!

I don’t give a poo poo. Give me the money!
The money is fake, though!
ALL MONEY IS FAKE

Well hey, at least it feels like we totes busted this case, right?

I don’t know what that means. Is that good or bad?

Both!
Snrk… *chuckle* Ahahahaha! To think the reward for the Phantom Thieves is feeling they “totes busted” the case… Ahhh… How funny!

Well, if you’re not going to let me branch out my counterfeiting operation to get rid of all this Monopoly money, we should at least sell this briefcase. It’s gotta be worth something, right?

All right then, let’s sell it! Glad we got that sorted!
By the way Morgana, have any of your memories returned?
No, not at all…
C’mon, did that hit to your head make you forget even more?
It’s easy for you to talk. You’re not the one who lost your memories.

Yeah, well I just wouldn’ta lost my memories in the first place. Simple. I’m just built different, I guess.

You have amnesia?
Something like that. He does remember searching for Treasures though.
Hm. I hope your memories return soon then. So… what happens next?
First, we wait for Kaneshiro to have his change of heart.

And how long will that take?
It is unclear!

It’s gonna be big this time. People’re gonna make a huge deal out of it, for sure.

I’m worried about what his Shadow said, though… A criminal using the Metaverse…

Yes, I was bothered by that as well.

We’ll figure out how to deal with that some other time. For now, let’s just wait the one-day-to-three-weeks it’ll take for Kaneshiro’s change of heart to happen.

We should prolly just lay low for a while.
I never thought I’d hear those words coming from you.

Music: Disquiet

How long is it going to take?

You’re the principal, dammit. Don’t you know what your students are up to? It’s your job to keep abreast of any incidents like this. …I’m *well* aware you’re having… difficulties at the moment, but part of being involved in a political murder conspiracy is pulling your weight!

I hope you remember who gave you that position to begin with. Our other operative gave us a list of candidates without delay. How different from a certain someone… …Yes, of course. Please continue your investigation.

And I hope for your sake that you manage to turn something up, before people realize that a high school principal is in on our *national conspiracy*.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

>For the love of god, yes, we did all we can. Do we need to go over this every time?

All we need to do now is await the results.
I wonder what’s gonna happen when he has the change of heart. Do you think he’ll turn himself in?
That seems likely. I hope he spills everything to the police…
Well, there are still a few lingering worries, but I believe we did well.

>You guys are so loving neurotic.
We did great, guys! We went up against a real criminal and took him down!

I can’t wait to see Akechi’s face when he hears the news!
Honestly, I just hope that people who see it get some courage from the news.
There’s still one thing that worries me though…
Do you mean how someone is using the Metaverse for evil?
It would be seriously unforgivable if someone was really doing that…

We’ve heard it from multiple sources, I think it’s pretty clearly true, Ann.

Eh, we can think about that later. For now, let’s just wait for Kaneshiro’s change of heart.
Very well. Nicely done, everyone!

Are you guys even reading my replies? Am I shadowbanned? Hello?

All we need to do now is let the results come rolling in. We did great today though! Public opinion of us should skyrocket after this!

(Narrator) No villain can withstand the power of girls’ night! Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “I Want a Love So Strong, It’d Bring Me Back from the Dead”!

Nothing goes your way in life. Let it get to your head, and you’ll get the rug pulled from under you.

We’re going to read Flowerpedia tonight. Our Kindness stat is pretty far from the next rank, so we’ll be putting a little work into it. Though we don’t need to prioritize it too hard, as the Rank 4 gate is part of Futaba’s Confidant, which we won’t even unlock for two months.

Music: Break it Down

If you learn more about flowers, it’ll be useful for when you work at that florist job.

That book covered all kinds of flowers and what they mean to people. Now, won’t that be handy at the florist job?

Kamoshida and Madarame too… They abused people just to fulfill their twisted desires…

Still, there were people around them who noticed their terrible deeds, weren’t there? I wonder why they turned a blind eye… Why doesn’t anyone help?

People are generally cowards who seek to avoid conflict. It’s not that deep.
So they’re afraid…?

Humans are so weak. Humans…

I’ve been letting it slide but you’ve been talking about humans quite a bit today like you aren’t one. Have you finally given up on denying your cathood?
Well… when I touched the Treasure… I actually did get some memories back. And it feels like… I really might not be human…
Ha! In your face! I knew it!
……
…Oh, come on, I’m kidding. Even if you’re not actually human, I’ve seen Blade Runner, it’s not like that distinction actually matters.
Oh, whatever! I’ve gotta be human! I’m the core of the Phantom Thieves!
Not really sure what that has to do with it, but okay…

I feel like my bond with Morgana is growing deeper…

Music: Aria of the Soul

You’ve defeated the repulsive fiend of gluttony this time. *chuckle* Well done.

Calling him “repulsive” seems a little uncalled for, dude already had insecurities about his weight… Oh, you meant his *heart*. Because he was evil. Never mind, then.

I am glad to see you have devoted yourself to your rehabilitation.
You are not worthy of such kind words, Inmate… I suggest you treasure them.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, still don’t really get it… Yo, Igor!
…Yes?
I asked you last time if you gave that other Metaverse user that power, and you said no. Well, it came up again.
Ah poo poo…
Do you possibly have any *other* ideas for how this black mask guy got the ability to enter Palaces?
Uhh… Listen, I do a lotta poo poo. I can’t say I didn’t get drunk one night and give some random rear end in a top hat powers as a laugh. But if I did, at least I don’t remember doing it!
……
Or maybe he got that power some other way! Who can say?
I—
Oh jeez, look at the time! That villain has probably already shut a bunch of people’s minds down while we’ve been chatting! You should, uh, probably go do something about that! Here, take this power and go handle it!

I feel like my bond with Igor is growing deeper…

Anon: they’re up to something

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I never sleep. I am vengeance. I am the night.
I just called to fill you in on something important.

Kaneshiro contacted me.
Kaneshiro!?

Don’t yell into the phone! It’s rude!

He told me he’s calling off the debt. He already disposed of the photographs as well.

And, um… My sister and her team have taken him into custody.
What!?

Cat, this is strike two. You’re about to lose phone privileges.

It appears they did not want him to… disappear, if you know what I mean.
His group was called a mafia, after all… I wouldn’t put silencing him past them.

I can only imagine. They probably wouldn’t even have shelled out for a nice length of carpet to roll him up in when they domed him and tossed him into the harbor.

Does this mean we were successful in changing his heart?

I’m… sorry? What did you just say?

It’s hard to say for sure yet.

OH MY GOD, WHAT THE gently caress ELSE COULD IT MEAN!? I feel like I’m losing my *mind*!
You’re the one yelling into the phone now!

I see… What about those psychotic breakdowns that Kaneshiro mentioned?
I’m not sure… but I assume he was talking about the incidents that have been all over the news lately. It really may be related to the other person who has been entering Palaces…
True… That said, all we can do now is wait until Kaneshiro’s change of heart becomes clear to us. Thank you.

Early Morning → Daytime

>Makoto, you *just* called me. What could you possibly need now that you couldn’t say five minutes ago?
I was ordered by Principal Kobayakawa to look for the culprits behind Mr. Kamoshida’s case.
>You’re right, I did know that.

We seem to be fine for now, but we can’t let our guard down. I ask that you try not to stand out for a while. By the way, I usually spend my time in the student council room. If there’s ever an emergency, feel free to come find me there.

Everything reminds you of the home shopping program.

I can see why they’d resonate with you. Young people tend to gravitate toward romantic ideas. Allow me to impart some advice. Only intellectuals can find success in life. I don’t mean the crude excesses of wealth or status. Look at me, and see true success personified. If you wish to achieve such true success for yourself, then it would be my pleasure to guide you.

I want to make a jerk-of motion right now to mock you, but my arms aren’t long enough to convey the totality of my disdain.

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! First we have the Dark Power Set! With these mysterious powers, what sort of new paths could you open!?

Hmm… I *do* want to unleash dark power…

(Male Host) 2 Black Rock and 1 Black Robe! Both items in one set! What a steal! But wait! There’s more! Here we have the Cursed Tools Set! F-For people who really want to curse someone… 3 Five-inch Nail and 10 Straw Doll! These two will be in one set! What a steal!

We don’t have a ton of Black Rocks and no Black Robes at all, so we’ll go for the Dark Power Set. The other set gives consumable items to hit weaknesses, which are okay situationally but are hardly necessary.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

lionelhutzworldwithoutlawyers.jpg

We practically exhausted our supply of Tin Clasps and Silk Yarns from that crafting session earlier, so let’s buy out the secondhand shop’s supply (three of each).

Then, let’s go to the secondhand clothes store to dump our dirty clothes. We have five in total, giving us 140 points after the sale. We choose not to buy anything this time.

Looks like we were correct to assume that Sakai would ask for the Yakisoba Pan next.

Apparently, it’s bread that’s made with love and sold at a specific high school. I’ve got this Black Robe ready to trade for it. Thanks, man!

So we can trade, yes? Yes!?

Thank you! I knew you’d say that!

You’re like my Yakisoba Pan Angel!

And here you go… Your Black Robe.

I see… So this is the Yakisoba Pan that’s only sold at a certain school… Legends say that students wage epic battles on a daily basis to buy this bread… or not. Either way, you’re a winner for getting this! A real hero! I’ll be counting on you again next time!

We’re going to head into the Velvet Room briefly just to check on our Persona in Lockdown.

Decent stat upgrade, nice. We won’t pull it out of Lockdown just yet, though.

(Sad Old Man) When it’s time for us to pass on, this place might be totally gone.
Don’t say that. Though, there’s nothing we can do about it…

(Commercial) Fiends and evildoers will be trapped in an instant! This program is brought to you by Wanna-B-Alert.
A security company, huh…? Then again, I don’t own anything I’d miss if it got stolen.

(Gentle-Looking Mother) Kotaro says he’s tired. And let’s leave the bad guys to the police, okay?
Is Kotaro… not feeling good?
…Let’s head back home. We don’t want Kotaro to worry.

:(

Music: Tokyo Emergency

(Protesting Man) Yes, I must save Shibuya from the surge of darkness. It is all the will of the Sun God.
So you really do control them! I thought you’d just been idling the time away.
Y-You fledgling… It is merely my plan to throw them off guard! As we speak, my apostles go forth!

Let’s see… You know that the Phantom Thieves sent out a calling card, right? I’m pretty sure that’s going to cause things around here to get pretty hectic.

Oh, that’s right. Did you see it? Did you see the Phantom Thieves’ calling card? The things they do are pretty interesting.

I keep hearing about the calling card that the Phantom Thieves sent out. The underworld is nothing but thugs now. It’s pathetic. What happened to their code of honor?

The upcoming conversation with Fishy Hawker actually branches depending on your choices. I won’t show all the options because there’s like five ways it can go and not all of them are unique. What I will say is that identical options for Maaku lead to identical responses from FH, if you’re curious what some of the “missing” responses are.

Busy studying, eh? With these amazing study reference books, you’ll pass any exam you want!

Yeah! You better go buy… these awesome study reference books! If you’ll just sign here…

What!? You use up my time like this, and then you say you don’t want any of my products!? Why didn’t you just say so from the start? Go away, you idiot kid, you’re wasting my time!

And if we pick the latter options from the start instead…

Say, buddy, you got a minute? Relax, I’m not with the mafia or Phantom Thieves, so don’t worry!

Yeah! You better go buy… these awesome study reference books! If you’ll just sign here…

Hellloooo? You can hear me, right? …Psh. Idiot kid. If you don’t want anything, then get outta here!

It said it was a “calling card.” You think it’s an ad for something?
(Taxi Driver) Oh, I’ve been hearing those are a message for the head honcho of those thugs in Shibuya. The guys sending the calling cards have been busy. Maybe they got into a scuffle with yakuza.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So, in case it’s unclear what happened here, this line of dialogue doesn’t exist here due to some kind of oversight in the localization process. This line either wasn’t translated or didn’t get properly copied or something. Or, maybe there isn’t actually supposed to be a line of dialogue here at all and the conversation was supposed to end with the previous line, but some kind of error caused this to display. I have no idea which. I know one or two people in the thread have been posting stuff from the Japanese version occasionally, so maybe one of them can look at this line and tell me if there’s even supposed to be anything here. This is very strange, honestly, and it’s not even the only weird error I’ve noticed with incidental dialogue in Royal.

Well, I have good news for you! You’ll be protected with this fully featured anti-crime phone case! Getting mugged? With the flip of a switch, your phone will turn into a stun gun! Buy yours today, as part of an irresistible package deal with our internet service!

(Sharp Lawyer) Kaneshiro, eh? The police can’t handle him, so they’ll win over the public if they take him down.
You think it’ll be that simple? They’re going after a major figure in the criminal underworld.
That’s exactly why it’s exciting to see what will happen next.

We’ve seen the public’s reactions to the new calling card, so let’s call this one for today.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Again, I don't get morgana's obsession with being human. Humans suck. Being a cat sounds awesome

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean no opposable thumbs sounds less than ideal

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
That apparently doesn't stop him from making lockpicks before he enslaves you to do it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
He wants to be where the people are
He wants to see, wants to see 'em dancin'

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arist posted:

Does this mean we were successful in changing his heart?[/u]
Broken tag here.

Pththya-lyi posted:

He wants to be where the people are
He wants to see, wants to see 'em dancin'
But can they dance crazy?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
We live in a society.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Caught up with the thread. The changes so far have been interesting, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they do with the Akechi confidant.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Arist posted:

(Narrator) No villain can withstand the power of girls’ night! Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “I Want a Love So Strong, It’d Bring Me Back from the Dead”!

... wow, I hope Yukari didn't freak out too badly when she saw the script for this particular episode ...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hah, I didn't even think of that.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So, in case it’s unclear what happened here, this line of dialogue doesn’t exist here due to some kind of oversight in the localization process. This line either wasn’t translated or didn’t get properly copied or something. Or, maybe there isn’t actually supposed to be a line of dialogue here at all and the conversation was supposed to end with the previous line, but some kind of error caused this to display. I have no idea which. I know one or two people in the thread have been posting stuff from the Japanese version occasionally, so maybe one of them can look at this line and tell me if there’s even supposed to be anything here. This is very strange, honestly, and it’s not even the only weird error I’ve noticed with incidental dialogue in Royal.

Personally my source for this stuff is Japanese let's plays so unfortunately this kind of very avoidable dialogue is hard to track down. The conversation isn't obviously incomplete so as far as guessing I'd lean towards 'there shouldn't be a line at all', though it's not like it'd be too surprising for there to be an additional substanceless line complaining about having to throw the card away or whatever, either.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Polsy posted:

Personally my source for this stuff is Japanese let's plays so unfortunately this kind of very avoidable dialogue is hard to track down. The conversation isn't obviously incomplete so as far as guessing I'd lean towards 'there shouldn't be a line at all', though it's not like it'd be too surprising for there to be an additional substanceless line complaining about having to throw the card away or whatever, either.

Yeah, I do not have a local copy of Persona 5 Royal in Japanese, and looking at various Japanese let's play, unfortunately, most players do not talk to most NPCs.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Arist posted:

I don’t give a poo poo. Give me the money!
The money is fake, though!
ALL MONEY IS FAKE

The LP is great :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 69: 6/26-6/27: Nice Shot, Dorkocop

Makoto’s waiting for us over by the entrance to Shujin, because she’s a NEEEEEEEERD.

I don’t know why Makoto opens this conversation with “That said.” She’s basically referencing a non-existent previous dialogue in this conversation. It’s probably just because this isn’t a school day, which hosed up her dialogue scripting, but whatever.

Do you have business at school today? Are you hoping to study in the library, perhaps?

It seems your studies have paid off. Have you been working hard?

This may be a good opportunity to deepen my bond with her…
There’s something I want to ask you. If it doesn’t get in the way of your studies, that is.

Studies? Pshhhh.

Thank you. Now then, let’s find somewhere better to talk. The courtyard should do. We can go in through the back entrance.

Priestess Rank 1: Part 61

Sure, why not?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

Well, I’ve been filling my role as both an honor student and student council president ably.
Okay, jeez, I get it, I’m dumb. You don’t need to brag.
…That said, I was unable to truly help in the incidents with Kaneshiro or Suzui-san. I might even have been an impediment to justice in those cases…
You’re giving yourself too much credit. You just weren’t very good at informing on me.
Following the rules didn’t get me very far in those hard times. I’m too narrow-minded, I need to think more openly, like a normal student.
You’ve come to the right place. First step: making you cool. The easiest way is to take up smoking. We’ll start with two packs a day. Don’t worry, we’ll increase that number over time.
I’m not so sure about this… I’ve never seen you smoking, either.
Of course you haven’t, smoking is for morons.
…Anyway, I was referring more to going somewhere I don’t usually visit to broaden my horizons. The best way to learn more about my peers is to do what they do. Where do other students like to go for fun?
I wouldn’t really know, no one likes to invite me anywhere… But, Ryuji does like hanging out at that arcade on Central Street on his days off… Though, Yusuke did almost get arrested recently when he was looking for it, so it’s decently shady… Sounds perfect! Let’s go to the arcade!
All right, if you think it’s a good choice.

Music: What’s Going On?

There are more girls here than I expected.

Hey, what’s this? A game where you point the gun at the screen? How interesting…
Yeah, it’s called RAGE. It’s all the… rage. Ugh.

……

You know, you’re allowed to play if you really want to.

I-If it’s okay with you… Do you think you could teach me?

Makoto, you’ve used a gun before.

Huh!? No way!
Ahhh!

Makoto’s panicked squealing is making people stare. I’m going to pretend I don’t know her…

Oh, so this is how it is.

You were at that for a while. I managed to get in a few rounds of Taiko no Tatsujin while you were screaming and you didn’t even notice.
It was a surprisingly academic experience… for a video game. I might be able to apply some of what I learned here in real battles.
Nice. Meanwhile, I learned the virtues of hitting a drum with two big sticks, so we all gained something from the experience.
I’m glad I came here today. Going somewhere new gave me these ideas… Plus, I think I’m starting to understand how people spend their time. Maybe I can have even more ideas if I do more new things. If you can spare the time, might you continue to help me in the future?
My schedule’s pretty packed, but I’ll see if I can squeeze you in.
Thank you. I’ll try to make myself useful.

I can sense a strong resolve from Makoto…

Music: Interrogation Room

Let’s face the facts: you’re a big ol’ dum-dum who barely knows how to tie his shoes. You clearly weren’t the brains of the operation. No, you must have had someone skilled in planning and analysis to overcome your foes… Didn’t you!?
And she’s the one calling *me* dumb…

Music: The Spirit

To tell you the truth, I recently got a report that one of our students was spotted there…
That might have also been me. Sorry.
It was a girl.
Makoto, I’m very pretty.
Anyway, I’d like to go there and investigate. It’s getting late, though. I’ll see you later.

It’s always hard for me to come to places like this on my own, so you’ve been a big help. I’ve had all kinds of new experiences today… and it’s even been a little fun.

Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to keep you. Careful on your way home. I’ll call you later. See you…

Daytime → Evening

Anon: get off your high horse
Anon: NO! justice ain’t that simple
Anon: they’re up to something
Anon: NO. They piss me off.
Anon: Akechi-kun is right!

Did someone really get kidnapped?
Seriously? That’s horrible…
Apparently you can never shake ‘em off… They said it’s hell.
I hear they get really aggressive…

We will be waiting in front of our door. We expect you to accept this task with enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, our schedule is just jam-packed right now, especially at night, because we’re about to unlock Chihaya and Ohya and Hifumi. We’re not gonna have time for the twins for a good while.

>Are you making fun of me?

It’s an interview with some kid from school. “Boy M tells all: Rampant abuse in the Kamoshida case!”

Oh, Makoto’s an M too… So it’s Miss President, huh? Wait, it says “Boy”! It’s gotta be a dude! Plus, Miss President would never agree to a tabloid interview. It’s prolly fine to leave him be. He ain’t doing us any harm. Seeya later.

I should check the article Ryuji mentioned…
Just as I thought. The author is listed as Ichiko Ohya. …I see. This article might end up being useful for us.

How? Some Calvinball nonsense about cognition?

If the Palace ruler sees it and his cognition of the Phantom Thieves changes… Hey, Maaku. We’d be missing out if we didn’t use this to our advantage.

Yep, I was right, as always.

If we have her paint us in a positive light, public opinion of us will change for the better! You should go try and get her to write more articles about the Phantom Thieves!

(Rebellious Grade Schooler) Yeah, I saw that! They’re so cool! They’re like Featherman, taking on the bad guys like that!
When I said that, my parents got mad at me. They said there’s no way the Phantom Thieves are real.
Parents just don’t get it. All they do is nag and nag, telling us to study all the time.

No, he’s just drunk. Doesn’t he realize that it’s still dangerous around here?

Drunk people really are an issue. This guy, though, is particularly noisy. And the things he says…

Oh, well, this is part of my job, too. At least he isn’t the violent type.

Buuuddy!
(Reserved College Student) Haha, who’re you imitating now? That’s one helluva quote.
The Phantom Thieves! You gotta check ‘em out, bro!

(Earnest Office Worker) Yes, they’re the ones with the “calling card.” I heard they had an altercation with the yakuza.

Even this guy is calling Kaneshiro’s mafia “yakuza”!

They seem to be very popular among young people. Though I don’t know why.
There’s no telling why these days. However, I believe they may be able to build their own business.

The true societal change comes from gainful employment as a small business owner.

(Cat) *curious meow*
Oh, I mean… Excuse me, sir, but do you happen to know who put these dope—drat it! What I mean is, the flyers have this cool mark on them. Are they for a store that’s nearby?

(Angel) The ones who steal hearts? Ah, I wish they’d steal mine…
No! Akechi-kun says they’re dangerous. And he knows what he’s talking about!
You always fall for people too hard, too fast. You’re too clingy! That’s why you keep getting dumped!

(Dream-Chasing Girl) That’s great, but… You see, I was scammed before, and with all that’s happened, I’m a little cautious.
Look, just lemme be your producer. You’ve got loads of talent, you know? I swear I’ll take good care of you.
I really, really do want to be a singer… But can I trust you?

(Tired Housewife) Yeah, he’s fine. My kid never goes too far from home.
Oh. Lucky you… My boy just won’t listen! According to him, anywhere other than Shibuya “isn’t cool enough”!
Kids today… There are plenty of places around here they can hang out.

I hear the Phantom Thieves are gonna target the mafia now? Eh, they’re all a bunch of kids to me. If I took a knife and just stroked ‘em with it, I’m sure they’d run away, screaming. Hahaha!

:stare:

Because of those Phantom Thieves, there’s a lot more cops runnin’ around this area now. Tch. That friggin’ calling card of theirs is just makin’ life more difficult for me.

The thugs in Shibuya are actin’ up since the Phantom Thieves sent out that calling card of theirs. Aw, hell, it’s not all bad. I’m havin’ a lil bit of fun taking out a few of ‘em… Heh heh.

Time for vegetable potion. Maaku gains Guts +1.

Please know that you can direct your criticism and outrage at me! I, Toranosuke Yoshida, will someday find a way to address your concerns in Nagatcho…

How’s your schoolwork?

Schoolwork…? …Ah, gently caress! Knew I forgot something! Well, too late to worry about it now!

Me? That’s… weird.

Let me know if you would like to attend. I’d be delighted if you would consider this as helping with my campaign and join me…

Then I’ll make the call. It’ll be at a hotel nearby.

Sun Rank 6: Part 82

Music: Alleycat

I see…
He also plans for his grandson, who’s also in our party, to take his place…
Unfortunately, this is all beyond me now…
Yoshida…

If you don’t grow big and strong it won’t be any fun to piledrive you into the ground in our wrestling match!
Hold up, I never agreed to—
Weak gimmick, chump! The audience’ll never go for a sadsack little pansy who doesn’t even wanna be in the ring! But we can work on techniques for getting you heat later.

I invited you along because I wanted to ask you something. …What do you think about the Phantom Thieves?

*starts choking on a mouthful of burning hot mashed potatoes* Bwwwuuuh?

I’d like to hear your honest opinion. As a young man, are you for or against them?

I think they’re exactly what we need right now. There’s no way that, for example, their leader felt something wet when he sat down at the beginning of this conversation but it’s been way too long to say anything now so he’s worried people will think he pooped his pants when he eventually stands up. He’s gotta be way too cool for something like that to ever happen.

You have a very adaptable way of thinking.

Thank you, I agree. That’s why I already surreptitiously called Ryuji while you were talking and told him to set a fire in the bathroom to cover my escape.

Most people who want to get into politics are jealous of them.
What about you?
However they managed to change hearts, I respect their belief in crushing evil and saving the weak.
Isn’t that similar to what you advocate?
I can’t deny that. But that’s not why I support them… I bet they’re a group of young people. Young people who have experienced hardship and injustice… They bravely face the societal ills that plague our world without thinking of the consequences.

Yoshida…

Brace, yet pitiful… I suppose.

Uh, okay. Ouch.

So the former Diet member who was disgraced by scandals is going to side with them, huh?
…Is this what you asked me here to speak to me about?
No… The party has decided which candidates it will back in the various electoral zones.
And…?
One of our main candidates will represent this area, according to the party’s election strategy. You have no chance of winning.
…So you’re saying that I should give up my campaign to become a Diet member?
I won’t beat around the bush. Drop out of the election, and become my right-hand man.

Music: Confession/Secret

It won’t be for naught. I’ll put in a motion to have you reinstated as a party member. And I will perform an extensive investigation into your expense misappropriation accusations.
Matsushita…

Wait, just to be clear: you *don’t* think he stole that money? Dude’s never once mentioned being innocent! He just talked around it the whole time! Man, I thought my political mentor was *cool*!

You’d finally be able to clear your name. Think about it.

I still want our wrestling match, after all.
I’m absolutely going to die.

He likely has an ulterior motive. If he felt hopeful, he wouldn’t ask me not to run for the Diet. I expect he’s trying to take advantage of me… That happens a lot in this world.

I know your support has been growing a bit lately, but I’m surprised it’s already large enough that Matsushita would see you as a “spoiler” candidate. Er, no offense.

What would you do at a time like this, Hamiru-kun?

It’s easy to say you should just drop out because you have no chance… But I think that’s wrong. Dropping out now, especially when your support is growing, would be a betrayal of the people you speak for. And if you don’t speak for them, who will? Besides the Phantom Thieves, of course.
Well said, Hamiru-kun. You always know just what to say.

…Thank you for telling me your honest opinion. Don’t worry. I won’t stop giving speeches.

After all, I treasure our conversations and very much wish them to continue.

You have such a fresh outlook on the world.
I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper…

Let’s finish up for today. Sorry I made you tag along.

Oh, it’s no problem. You can go without me, though. I’m waiting on someone.
Huh?
Oh god! There’s a fire in the bathroom!
Every man for himself!
I saw a kid with bleached hair running out of there! Someone call the cops!
Time to run!

I’m sure you’ll end up having to face something similar someday, so let me share my thoughts. When people come to you with these negotiations, you need to see what’s really on the table. Do you see the offer as a risk or an opportunity…? You’ll have your own major decisions to make, in time. The most crucial thing is that you don’t lose sight of who you are.

…I let that happen, and look where it got me.

Well then, until next time. Good night.

Anon: Isn’t this a crime?

Not if you don’t loving snitch!

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

Not necessarily. I could be ditching! You don’t know!

I can’t be late today too…

No, I was up very early, shooting a news show. I have much more work in television because of the Phantom Thieves.

…Ah, I can’t keep complaining. Well, let’s both do our best today.

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

Oh yeah. In Japan, when the rainy season ends, we say that it “opens.” But in English, it’s more common to hear people say the rainy season “comes to a close.” Be careful! Expressions for the weather are totally different depending on what country you’re in. Now then… Mr. Hamiru! Which of these animals is involved in an English idiom about the weather?

Snail weather? Come on. Who would pick that? You’d have to be blind.

That’s right! Raining cats and dogs. “Raining cats and dogs” means it’s pouring rain. The strongest theory for its origin is that the sound of rain resembles that of dogs and cats fighting. Some other European languages describe bad weather as “dog’s weather,” too.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

Additionally, in Norwegian they say it’s raining witches, and in Polish they say it’s raining frogs. Each country has its own way of describing heavy rain—and its own metaphorical substitute falling from the sky.

I somehow doubt every country has a separate metaphor.

Oh yeah, over here they say that when a cat washes its face, it rains. I wash my face every day because I like being clean, and that’s not true at all! Oh, uh, but I’m not a cat, of course.

Morning → After School

Weather very well may have the same effect on Mementos as it has on humans…

Well, you’re not affected because of your bad rep. If you want to ask me about something, go for it.

She’s the ideal honor student. Excellent grades, exemplary conduct, trusted by teachers… She ran for class president and won on her own merit. Well, no one else wants to do her job though.

He’s still highly regarded for his passion for education even though he’s criticized for scandals now. Ever since the incident with Mr. Kamoshida, he’s been working to restore our school’s prestige.

“Passion for education”? Are we talking about the same guy? If it wasn’t clear, I’m referring to the rotund gentleman.

I hear fraud is on the rise, and there’s even rumors of drugs and prostitution… The police can’t do much because they have too little info. Most of the time, the victims stay silent.

Ever since the competition results were announced, the volleyball club seems either happy or depressed. Shujin’s reputation was tarnished after Kamoshida’s scandal, so that must have been hard on them… I heard that honor student is competing in a gymnastics event. I can’t wait to see how she does.

(Motivated First-Year) Yeah, I saw. Their logo is pretty cool. But aren’t the Phantom Thieves like, bad guys? I can’t believe they’re in Shibuya!
That’s what Akechi-kun said—that they’re dangerous. I hope someone puts a stop to them.

We return The Gallant Rogue and gain the Illusory Popess.

The calling card was sent to that criminal organization, but I haven’t thought of any furth— …Oh, no. I’ve said too much. For your own safety, I can’t risk exposing any more top secret info.

You know, an evil criminal group. Didn’t you see the Phantom Thieves’ calling ca— …Oh, no. I’ve said too much. For your own safety, I can’t risk exposing any more top secret info.

I stayed up reading about it, and didn’t get much sleep. I sooo don’t wanna go to practice…
(Intense Soccer Player) What are you doing!? It’s up to us to bring pride to Shujin Academy now that the volleyball team’s been disgraced!
You’re right. The third-years all retired, so I gotta take my role as the captain seriously.

This big scary guy looked like he was panicking while tearing them down. It was hilarious!
(Kind Faculty Member) Is something going to happen again…? Oh, and you guys, try not to go out too late, okay?
Whaaat? It’s fine. Plus, if that calling card is real, things will be safer around here.

Let’s chat with Yusuke, since he’s only at Rank 1.

Meanwhile, I am here to observe the public in an attempt to refresh my mind. Do you need something?

Hah… You must have a wealth of free time if that is your decision.

*chuckle* I hope you do not find it too disturbing. Wait for me at Leblanc. I will bring the painting over there.

Emperor Rank 2: Part 55

I would like your honest opinion… if you would.

Well, I am *honestly* extremely impressed that you managed to carry this thing here in the pouring rain without completely destroying it.
Yes, it was quite the challenge, but I will not bore you with the details of that miraculous endeavor. What do you think of the painting, then?
Uhh… This style ain’t exactly my area of expertise, but… gently caress, seems pretty good to me, man.
Excellent. Even a complete philistine like yourself can see its majesty. This painting represents my conception of “desire.”

It is the foul charm held deep within the abyss of the heart… To be honest, I believe my ability to capture desire so elegantly is all due to our Mementos foray. I have grown to understand the intricacies of the heart in a way I had once thought impossible…

You’re too confident. I’m now worried people will think this thing sucks poo poo just to turn this into a tale of hubris before the great fall.

Maaku… I intend on submitting this piece to an upcoming public art exhibition.

Oh, there it is, yep, that’s exactly what’s going to happen, isn’t it?

Nobody has seen the abyss of the heart in such a raw manner before… The discourse will be fascinating. More importantly, it shall be the spark that revitalizes my slumbering art career!

Dude, you need to stop, you’re just making it worse for yourself. Whatever god is up there is about to loving smite you hardcore.
I hope you will accompany me to its unveiling at the exhibition.
Now *I’ve* been pulled into the orbit of this impending disaster, oh no!!!!

Hm, I’m sure this will be a most sensational experience for those who opt to undergo it. A raw, unbridled look into the depths of the human psyche… And I was the one who was able to bring it to life, all thanks to your assistance.

I’m now revising my earlier estimate, because at this point we’re all getting off easy if the building doesn’t collapse and kill us all.

You have my sincerest gratitude.

Yes, please continue to associate me with this painting, people are gonna need a secondary target for the tomatoes.

I feel like my bond with Yusuke is growing deeper…

Hm… I deeply anticipate the public reaction at the exhibition. But for now I should be going. My apologies for disturbing you. Farewell.
I saw Yusuke off to the station…

I was even able to come up with a new interpretation, thanks to your help. I’m on a roll right now. I shall keep up this momentum and apply it to the Phantom Thieves as well!

Yusuke, I just saw you off, which means you’re probably still on a train. First off, stop yelling about the Phantom Thieves. Second, how are you getting a cell phone signal?

Er, I mean, you’re doing enough already, my man.

Hah… Your very presence amplifies my ambition. What a strange fellow you are. I can hardly wait to hear back about the public exhibition, so I can share the joy with you. I will contact you again later. Expect good news! *hangs up*

Oh jesus gently caress my life, this is gonna suck

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

What’s Kosei like? Is it filled with guys like Yusuke?
I imagine there are a lot of… “different” people there.
Now that you mention it, I have one very interesting classmate. She is a female shogi player, and seemingly quite the skilled one at that.
Are you talking about Hifumi Togo? I remember hearing she’s a student at Kosei. They say she’s the most beautiful shogi player around right now.

>Are shogi players renowned for their beauty? Also, creepy.
Yes, yes, yes, I am into all of this, more info please!
Do you even know anything about shogi?

I do not know much about her. She is not the kind of person to let others close to her.
It sounds like she only focuses on her shogi pursuits. After all, it’s said she is a lone genius…
However, I have heard she is commonly seen at the church over in Kanda.

omw
Yusuke, you idiot! Ryuji, do *not* go harass this girl!
I wasn’t gonna harass—
So, you *weren’t* going to go to Kanda to hit on her?
I can’t even go check her out?
Nope!

Churches are supposed to be holy. Don’t do this Ryuji.

GAH. FINE. UGH.

*sigh* Let’s ignore that idiot. Anyway, a shogi expert, huh? Striking an enemy with but a moment’s inspiration, skillfully strategizing toward victory… Those might actually be good tactics to know for our work as the Phantom Thieves. They said she’s at the church in Kanda, right? We should check it out when you have the time.

There’s been markedly more damage than a typical year, and people fear public safety has worsened. Police are calling for people to be careful, but have yet to enact any effective countermeasures.
That Kaneshiro… He’s really done it now.

Music: Time to Repent

The group may have told Ryuji not to harass Hifumi, but they didn’t say anything about me!

Quick reminder: in the church we can use the confessional to have party members remember old skills, or on Sundays buy special rare items from the priest.

Maybe she’s Hifumi Togo, the one Yusuke mentioned… Why don’t you go ask her?

That gate required Rank 3 Charm.

I’m Hifumi Togo…

I’m doing some research, so… Experimenting with new tactics is best to do alone in a place like this. …Well, I suppose that doesn’t sound terribly plausible to someone who doesn’t play… Don’t mind me; go ahead and pray.
Hifumi Togo seems to take a very tactical approach to playing shogi. I feel like I can learn some tactics for the Phantom Thieves from her shogi expertise. I should ask her if she’ll teach me…

Star Rank 1: Part 62

I need a shogi tutor, and I’m glomming onto you.

…Huh? Um, you don’t necessarily have to learn from me, you know. There are other options… such as playing online.

Please, I beg of you. I’ll never get 100% in Yakuza 0 if you don’t help me.

…Sorry, I just can’t. Well then…

I am just going to continue to sit here despite your refusal.

Umm… So… you like shogi?

Uh, sure. Yeah, something like that. I heard about you twenty minutes ago and knew I needed to play like you do.

Like me…?

Uh-oh, are you bad at shogi or something? I knew I should have done more research!

You’re a bit strange… but thank you. Um… Okay, just a quick game then. Twenty seconds per move… If that’s all right with you.

*sweating*
You *do* know how to play, right?
That’s not important.

…I’ll start.

I’ve inexplicably managed to get through most of this game just moving pieces randomly without her calling me out for breaking the rules…

…So this is your skill level, huh?

Hey, don’t be mean to me, it’s my first time playi—I mean, uhhh…

The dragon which governs the blue sky has fallen into my hands. How do you intend to survive this?

…By summoning Exodia, the Forbidden One? What the gently caress?

Check! …It’s checkmate no matter how you look at it. Please concede.

But look, I can still go, I still got one of the… squiggly guys right there.
Failure to concede when there is no path forward is a sign of great disrespect, punishable by ritual castration.

If you aspire to become a shogi player, I recommend that you take your study of the game to heart.

Mommy, the scary lady hurt my feelings…

*bowing* Thank you for playing… If it’s all right with you, may I request another match sometime?

Wait, really? I sucked out loud, though.

I feel… a gambler’s spirit emanating from you. Which is strange, since your style of play is that of a complete novice…

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, just stop insulting me!

Huh!? Oh, I-I’m sorry…

All I want in exchange for my instruction is for you to become my playing partner. I’d like to have someone to play against to research and test new moves. Is that agreeable?
So in exchange for playing shogi with me, you want me to play shogi with you? Sounds fair, I guess.
Thank you. Then we have a deal.

I’ve made a deal with Hifumi…

You must have had a master tactician to help you in your criminal deeds.
Didn’t you, like, *just* ask me this?
What? No, of course not!
You just asked me about the planner. Now you’re asking me about the tactician. Those are pretty similar roles.
No they’re not! They’re… totally distinct!
#Defeated with #Facts and #Logic. That’s another clever ruse I learned from our tactician, you got me.

I feel like playing shogi with Hifumi has helped sharpen my Knowledge

Before you head home, would you like to exchange IDs with me?

Let’s see… Ah, yes, it went through.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Arist, the new dialogue you make up is fantastic. Don't stop never stopping

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh god, snail weather, I forgot that answer was in there.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Additionally, in Norwegian they say it’s raining witches, and in Polish they say it’s raining frogs. Each country has its own way of describing heavy rain—and its own metaphorical substitute falling from the sky.

Looking at what I can find online, I doubt that it is "every", and some have very similar metaphors.

Arist posted:

Of course you haven’t, smoking is for morons.

That was a hilarious punchline! :discourse:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 70: 6/28-6/29: Salt The Earth (New)

Anon: Akechi-kun is right!

Early Morning

It’s called “Confessions of Boy M: A Tell-All on the Kamoshida Abuse Scandal.” That’s gotta be Mishima, right?

Welp, RIP Mishima.

(Rowdy Student) I read it! It all sounds so horrible… It’s no wonder they consider the Phantom Thieves heroes. Kinda hard to bag on the Phantom Thieves after reading that…
You’re right. In fact, you might even call them superheroes.

That’s a little strong, dude.

It might be the perfect way to get the Phantom Thieves name out there. We should take advantage of this.

I want the Phantom Thieves to be famous for more than just my own selfish reasons. The bigger our name is, the more our targets will hear talk of us. Remember that reporter? If we give her the right intel, her articles could make a real difference for us in the Metaverse! Let’s go back to that bar in Shinjuku and get her to write more stuff about us!

It would be even nicer if the sky would clear though…

Early Morning → After School

I’ll do it laaaaaaateeeeeer.

Let’s head into the Velvet Room.

We need a Priestess Persona at the moment for hanging with Makoto, so we’ll fuse this Isis from Eligor and Phoenix.

You are the one who rests on the throne of this world… My mask is proof of that fact.

Isis was a mother goddess in Egyptian mythology. She was worshiped as the ideal mother and wife (that’s not very hashtag girlboss of you, sister) and patron of nature and magic. She was also friend of slaves, sinners, artisans and the downtrodden, but she also listened to the prayers of the wealthy, maidens, aristocrats and rulers. I dunno, seems like those two things conflict a bit. Maybe she is a hashtag girlboss after all. Isis also helped resurrect her brother (slash husband, eww) Osiris after Seth murdered him.

Nope, she starts that conversation just as abruptly on a school day. Odd.

Um, about our trip to the red-light district. Do you have time today?

Hell yeah, I’m always down to clown!

Great. Let’s meet up after we change out of our uniforms.

Good thinking, they’re not gonna let us do anything fun if we’re identifiable as high schoolers.

Priestess Rank 2: Part 63

Keep an eye out for any suspicious dudes with eyepatches. They’ll breakdance you to death before you can even blink.

Apparently this place was a hotbed for criminals and illegal immigrants before they installed surveillance cameras…

There’s cameras all over the place, gotcha. …Wait a minute. Did you just compare criminals and illegal immigrants? Makoto. Christ. This is why we all call you a cop.
You’re really the only one who does that, though.
Yeah, well, I do it enough for everyone.
Anyway, there were quite a few brothels around here too back then, from what I heard.
Brothels, got it. Let’s avoid those.
Oh, what happened to your cool-guy act?
Err… Don’t tell anyone, but I’m actually very repressed. Wait, did I already tell the cat that? Oh well… Where did you hear all this from anyway?

Well, I heard a great deal about it from my father… This is the first time I’ve actually been here myself though. Regardless, it’s become far safer now than it used to be. Of course, the surveillance cameras played a substantial role in that… But it was mainly thanks to the police efforts to clean up the area.

If you love the cops so much, why don’t you marry them!?

Even so, there’s no way to eradicate crime entirely. It seems the operations nowadays are only better hidden…

Well, let’s take a look around. I want to see the seedy underbelly of this city for myself.

That guy was so persistent…

That’s just Fishy Hawker, you get used to his bullshit.
That scout for that hostess club was creepy. He kept talking about how “his girls” got paid a lot to wear cute dresses…

All I wanted was to ask if any Shujin students worked there… but he nearly dragged me inside with him. If you hadn’t been there to rescue me, I…

Yeah, you gotta be more careful around shady types like them. Wait, poo poo, *I’m* a shady type like them!
You needn’t worry. I simply would have had to knock him out with my aikido skills…
Solving one problem by creating several more. I like it.

Hm, I guess that’s how they do it… I’ve learned something new today. Oh, and thanks again. It seems you have a knack for helping me out. I hope I can do the same for you someday.
I can sense a quiet resolve from Makoto…

Even though this is a shopping district, there are absolutely no students around here.

Well, besides us.

And definitely no Shujin students… though I guess they wouldn’t come in uniform either way. Well then…

I’m just going to turn around to leave, in no way expecting to see the very thing I came here looking for…

Hm…?

That was… I used to be in the same class as her! But why is she here…?

And right after you said Shujin students probably wouldn’t come here in their uniforms… She must be a real idiot. Like Ryuji!
The sign above the entrance says “The After School Salon”…?
What the hell does that mean?

I’m not sure… but it seems suspicious.

The plot thickens!

I’ll have to ask her about it. Oh, and I’d like you to be there too, as my witness. Would that be okay?

Sorry, I have a thing that day.
I didn’t even tell you when!

Well, we’ve spent quite a bit of time here. Let’s head back to the station. Thank you for today.

That was the first time I’ve ever had to deal with a barker. I didn’t know they could be that persistent… Today was exhausting, but I also learned a lot. I guess nothing beats practical experience.

I also plan on looking into that Shujin student we saw there.

After School → Evening

(Pro Shogi Player) Ah, yes, I’d have to say Hifumi Togo. She does a very good job of balancing offense and defense. Not to mention, she’s very pretty.
(Interviewer) Yes, I’ve heard she’s started doing some modeling work recently.

All right, keep it in your pants you fuckin’ creeps.

And that Ohya-san? She’s the devil incarnate! It was horrible!

Yeah, sorry about that, Mishima.

She’s pretty, but super scary too. Though the drag queen she hangs out with is even scarier…

I am no longer sorry.

But anyway, I did my best to promote the Phantom Thieves! Remember that when you’re reading a glowing article about you guys, okay?

I buy another Mega Fertilizer so I don’t run out any time soon.

Well, time to start the eighteen-step CHIHAYA ACTIVATION SEQUENCE. Each one of you readers has a key, as do I, and we all need to turn them simultaneously to unlock Chihaya’s Confidant, as well as input the codes I carry on my person at all times into the football my assistant is carrying.

I’m obviously being facetious, it’s just kind of absurd it takes a full four days plus a Mementos visit to get Chihaya to Rank 1.

Oh, hellooo! Please take a seat.

Chihaya Rank 0.25: Part 55

Anyway, my name is Chihaya Mifune. I will be reading your fortune today.

Hey, how’s it going? I don’t think I believe in any of this crap, but I’m also extremely gullible, so… might as well, right?

You may begin by telling me your name.

Huh!? I thought you were psychic! What a rip-off!
Sorry… Do you want me to tell you your own name? That’s not really how this works, but I can try if you’d like… Hmm… Is it Ozai… Or maybe Skips? …Trickster?
Eh, close enough. Maaku Hamiru, at your service.

Ah, Maaku Hamiru-san…. I see. Your name is quite lucky. That aside, what type of consultation can I interest you in today?

Listen… you can trust me. Just tell me the truth. This is all a scam, right? How do you do it?
Huh!? I don’t know what you’re talking about, but if you want a Holy Stone they’re a bargain at only 100,000 yen.
I’m onto you, lady. You’re gonna predict bad times in my future if I don’t pay you and then hire a guy to jump out of the bushes on my way home, yell “OOGA BOOGA” and break my kneecaps, right?
Huh, never thought of that one before. Might be worth considering… But anyway, settle down and let the tarot cards do their work.

O divine power… Bring forth this boy’s fortune!

Hmm… It seems your home will be a source of new wealth! Go home immediately and you will receive five thousand yen!
That’s really specific! Thought you charlatans were supposed to make your promises more vague and open-ended…

Fate is absolute!

But… that’s not all… *flips over tarot card revealing a dude who looks exactly like Maaku flying a hot air balloon into power lines*
Is that good?

How strange. Hamiru-san, the general flow of your future seems to indicate… Ruin…? And an inmate, locked away in a lonely cell… You seem to be a good person, Hamiru-san… but are you perhaps mixed up with the wrong crowd?

How could you possibly have guessed that everyone I know is an idiot!?

Beyond that… My… It seems… continuing on your current path will lead to your death.

Oh, I see. This is the part where the OOGA BOOGA man shows up, right? I’m ready, motherfucker! I bite!

You act confident, but remember… fate is absolute. Hm. If the divination is coming to me this clearly, the truth of it is simply undeniable.

Well… gently caress. Guess I better get that will finished!

Although… Now that I think about it, there may be a way you can attempt to counteract your destiny.

All you need is… my special spiritual object: the Holy Stone! With its power in your control, you can avoid even the most unfortunate of futures… probably!

Sounding real confident there, aren’t you?

I typically only recommend this to my more experienced customers, but your situation is too dire to ignore. You see, the stone itself is imbued with an aura of joy that will sap away all the horrible energy surrounding you. All you need to do is keep it wrapped in cloth and be sure to recharge its power in moonlight every three days.

And as I mentioned previously, it only costs 100,000 yen! What a steal! Now, will you be paying with cash or card?
…No thanks. I’m not quite this stupid. At least, not yet.

I-It’s legitimate, I promise!

Does this scam really work on people? How many idiots are willing to drop 100k on a fortune teller they’ve only had one consultation with? Surely no one’s *that* horny!

So… you really don’t want it? What a shame it will be to see the flames of youth snuffed out so soon… Well, come see me again if you change your mind. I really can help you, if you’d like.

For a nominal fee, anyway!

Oh, you’re home. I’ve been waiting for you.
The chief seems strangely happy. I wonder what’s going on.
Hey Maaku, how’s your pocket money situation been looking?

I have 200k on me, fool. Wait, poo poo. Shouldn’t have said that. Uhh, I mean… I’m dirt fuckin’ poor, homes. Can’t lend you a thing, sorry!

Hahaha, you’re hopeless!

Here!
What? Is this… five thousand yen!?
I won some money from the lotto, so I don’t mind sharing my winnings.

Oh, cool. How much did you win?
Hey! Don’t worry about it!

Or what, is five thousand yen not enough for you?

From what I know about Sojiro, he definitely won a large enough sum that he’d feel bad not cutting me in, but it was also large enough that 5,000 yen isn’t gonna make a big dent in it. Heh, you drat old man…
Are you mad at the chief?
Nah, that’s exactly what I would have done.

Anyway, remember to close up the shop like always.

gently caress, now I have to believe in fortune-telling? I could handle mental pathologies turned into literalized metaphors and giant monsters representing human weakness and all that poo poo, but this is a whole new kind of absurd!

She even got the amount spot on! Maybe this Chihaya lady can seriously read into the future!

RIP me, I guess.
Oh, right! She said you were going to die! This is bad! We need to talk to her again!

And maybe I can have her read my compatibility fortune with—

Nope! Shutting this down!

It seems like Chihaya Mifune can actually see into the future… Maybe I should go back and have her read my fortune again… And there’s the Holy Stone too… She said it costs one hundred thousand yen…

Anon: of course not. done

Morning

A young woman wearing all brand clothing and an older man with gold accessories were arguing. Both were on their high horse, and even though they dressed fancily, it felt nouveau riche. Speaking of, the Japanese words for “high horse” and “nouveau riche” both originated as shogi terms. A lot of people aren’t familiar with shogi, but it’s good to know a little bit about it. So, Hamiru-kun. Have you seen this piece before?

I actually think I know this one! Hifumi kept muttering weird poo poo about gold whenever she promoted this piece!

That’s right. The lance and the silver general also have the kanji for “gold” on the back. By the way, it’s said that the “to” on the back of the pawn piece is a cursive form of “gold.”

If a knight crosses into enemy territory, for instance, they can promote—becoming mobile as a gold general. A weak piece like a pawn can become gold if you get it into the enemy’s camp, hence “nouveau riche.”

By the way, nouveau riche like to wear expensive clothes because of a desire to be acknowledged. Once humans fulfill the basic needs of clothing, food, and shelter, our next desire is recognition. That’s why people try to make themselves seem bigger by flaunting their power through money.
Making yourself seem bigger… Reminds me of a frilled lizard.

Morning → After School

Back to the Velvet Room.

We’re making Kin-Ki from Sui-Ki and Flauros. I honestly can’t remember why I’m doing this Fusion, all I really need right now is to resummon Phoenix so I can hang out with Kasumi.

If you possess the mask, I will grant you the power of an unyielding heart…

Kin-Ki means “Gold Oni.” It’s one of the four oni controlled by Fujiwara-no-Chikata, and its body is so strong that no physical weapon can pierce it.

Anyway, I resummon that Phoenix and get outta there.

(Doting Father) Hahaha, it even looks completely different from the ones they sell at the nearby bakery!
I told you this one’s better! Thanks, Dad!

Do you have some time right now?

…Or, well, we’ll get there eventually… but do you want to get some food first? Can’t exercise on an empty stomach. And protein’s important, you know! Where can we eat…? How about the school cafeteria?

Oh boy, this should go well. Everyone at school just loooooooves me.

Now, Senpai! Let’s get going for real this time!

Since our talk, I’ve been trying to think of things besides gymnastics that I’m really invested in… And I figured something out! It’s this!

You really need to regulate your diet in gymnastics, so I’ve been making my own food a lot. And so! Since I also wanted to thank you, I made you bento! This is actually my first time cooking for someone else besides my family… But I figured this would definitely help me get my confidence back! I made this specifically with your body type in mind, and knowing how much you exercise… Do you want it?

The chicken and eggs are to help you with fatigue. There are some beans in there, too, and it’s on brown rice. Weight control’s important for gymnasts, but we also need to make sure we’ve got energy and stamina too. So high protein, low-fat is usually what we go for. We also need iron to maintain stamina, and vitamin B for energy.

Wait… I’m getting all focused on the gymnastics part again…

…Why do you look so skeptical, Hamiru-senpai? I guess it might look like a lot, but this is actually a little less than my usual. Don’t worry, I’ve done the math on the calories. I’ll burn all this off at practice.

C’mon, Senpai! You’ll be done before you know it!

Hamiru-senpai? You okay? Your eyes are glazing over…

Heavy seasoning would probably be bad for you, so I went easy on it. Hmm. Was it too light? Excuse me…

I was trying to decide how to season these… And I figured, everyone likes curry! Right?

OH GOD

(I really like how this scene just basically confirms that Sojiro canonically only feeds Maaku curry, that’s very funny to me)

Not… quite the issue.

Or, wait—maybe you prefer the super spicy ones!

I’ll go get some kind of condiment to change the flavor! Once I fix it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it more! Should I get mayonnaise? Soy sauce…? Maybe miso? Do you think Dr. Maruki will have some salt!?

Oh, you’re right! I should just by something new you can eat right now!

Um, but…

That was an abrupt mood swing!

Thank you for completely finishing your meal, Hamiru-senpai.

I came up with the idea of making bento, but I couldn’t decide on the flavor… Either way, I’m really sorry!

As opposed to the scenes in P4 where the girls are bad at cooking, which are honestly pretty unfunny to me these days, Kasumi’s bad cooking is an okay scene. I think most of that’s just how weird and specific the error is (why would you want every part of a meal to be curry-flavored?) in combination with the worst possible audience for it (the dude who eats curry for every meal already). The implied visual of her eating that massive bento all by herself is also pretty funny.

I’m so embarrassed… I though it was so great when I presented it to you, and now…

Next time, I’ll ask you what you like before I try anything too crazy. I’ll go buy that super spicy “Megido-sauce” for next time!

*giggle* …It seems like you’re always helping me find my way forward, Senpai. If I didn’t have you, I’d let my failures get to me and end up in some big pessimistic spiral again. …Maybe this kind of confidence can help me figure out who I really am.

Either way, I suppose all I can do is keep moving forward. Hamiru-senpai, I hope we can keep helping each other improve.
I can sense Kasumi’s passion…

I don’t mean to be too demanding, but I’m going to train you even harder than before! Make sure you keep up!

Thanks to Kasumi’s training, I feel like my stamina increased.

Oh… I guess we’re out of time. I guess we’ll end it here for today. Hope we can do this again sometime!

After School → Evening

(Young Male Customer) The server went down because it was attacked from somewhere, I heard.
I hope they get caught soon. They’re really causing a lot of trouble for us!
I heard they’re some kind of scary foreign organization. Our police wouldn’t stand a chance.

Internet service providers have announced that they were caused by illegal outside attacks. The perpetrators did not issue a statement, but they are suspected to be an anonymous hacker group.
Attacking as a group… It must suck to be on the receiving end of that.

Wouldn’t know a thing about that.

We’re trying to get Chihaya to the Mementos step ASAP so we can head into Mementos on the next day it’s convenient (preferably a day without a lot of Confidants available, like a rainy day). This means we’re still not unlocking Ohya or hanging with Kawakami, though both are available. We really, really want Affinity Reading as soon as we can get it.

Chihaya Rank 0.5: Part 62

I remember you… You had a very abnormal destiny, as I recall. Please, take a seat.

For that much, it’d better not only change your fate, but also give you incredible luck. If you do end up buying one, we should go home and test it out.

Remember yesterday when I told you I wasn’t dumb enough to buy one yet? Well, it turns out that today I am *exactly* stupid enough, gimme gimme!

Thank you very much. Here you go.

No refunds, returns or exchanges!

It’s the smart thing to do, considering this is the only way to avoid misfortune. It’s already charged with a happiness aura, so you’ll feel the effects right away. Don’t forget to recharge it with moonlight every three days. Please stop by again and let me know how your fate changed. Goodbye…
I should head home…

Oh, you’re home. I was just about to close up shop, but I forgot to turn the stove off. I guess you start forgetting things more the older you get…

I wonder what kind of luck we’ll have this time around. It should be awesome, right? I mean, we paid a hundred thousand yen for this Holy—Ow! What the heck!?

Uh-oh. I can feel a punchline coming, but I can’t figure out where it’s gonna hit me from. Brace for impact!

Hey, can’t you keep this thing a little cleaner?

No. I need all those loose thumbtacks for my collection.
I’m talking about all the gravel you’ve got sloshing around in here. It’s impossible for me to get comfortable! …Wait a second…

Music: Tension

What’s gotten into you?

So… Good news and bad news… The bad news is that the Holy Stone was a mound of rock salt. The good news is that I’m out of bad news.
Yeah, that seems about right. Somehow, I deserve this.

…Maaku? What’s going on?

You know that one taste? It’s on the tip of my tongue…
That’s a misconception, your taste receptors aren’t actually sectioned off onto different areas of your tongue.
I mean, what’s that one kind of taste called?
Uhhh… Umami?
Not that one… It’s the one you taste in your saliva when you’re in pain, or in bitter tears… Oh, right, *salty*. That’s how I’m feeling.

You’re salty? That reminds me, I was just about to head out and grab some salt for the shop.

Oh, by the way, would it be possible for me to eat something *other* than curry tonight? Lunch was… an experience, let’s just say.
No. If you’re sick, eat more curry. It’ll be good for your digestion.

I’ll be back in a bit.

It’s rock salt, so… maybe the Holy Stone is supposed to help you with cooking? No, wait, it was supposed to change your future…
That fortune teller tricked us, you fool. I knew we shouldn’t have trusted her! She wasn’t even a fancy fortune teller! Where was her veil or hat or crystal ball?

So that Holy Stone was really just a Phony Stone in the end!

Who ever could have seen this coming!?

That fortune teller’s name was Chihaya, right? She clearly has some kind of mystical power… but this is just unacceptable. …We need to go complain to her!

Cool, I’ll go call the rest of the team so they can go fish my body out of the bay after her hired goons are finished with me.
Do you really think she has hired goons?
Wouldn’t surprise me. She just scammed us for 100,000 yen, after all. We should just lurk near her stall and see how she does business. And then lurk more. Lurk all the time. And then when the time comes, *we* will be the goons!
What are you even talking about anymore?
Yeah, I kinda lost the plot there.

It turns out the Holy Stone I bought from Chihaya was a fake. I should go talk to her and try to figure out her true intentions…

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 3, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lmao I double posted the update, Jeffrey please

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

All I wanted was to ask if any Shujin students worked t here…

"Shujin students worked there"

Arist posted:

…Why do you look so skeptical, Hamiru-senpai? I guess it might look like a lot, but this is actually a little less than my usual. Don’t worry, I’ve don the math on the calories. I’ll burn all this off at practice.

"done the math"

Arist posted:

Attacking as a group… It must suck to be on the receiving end of that.

Wouldn’t know a thing about that.
The flashbacks...

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

Nope, she starts that conversation just as abruptly on a school day. Odd.

This is translated from a line where she says 'Did Kaneshiro truly have a change of heart? For now all we can do is wait for the results' except I guess after translating it they shuffled the words around a bit so it made less sense.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

If nothing else the 'haha woman but can't cook' joke is less annoying when it isn't most of your female party members.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hellioning posted:

If nothing else the 'haha woman but can't cook' joke is less annoying when it isn't most of your female party members.

It also helps that she clearly enjoys her own cooking.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it would've tasted fantastic with just a pinch of rock salt

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Part of the thing with the "girls can't cook" scenes in P4, also, is that they're buildup for the Christmas Cake scene while themselves also being increasingly unrealistic serial escalation. The joke is done at the end of P4, and then every P4 Extended Universe game feels the need to do it again. PQ has the worst of it, and Q2's is also pretty bad.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Also in this case she can cook, and does, frequently. She had a specific goal for her food and met it with flying colors: it was perfectly edible food with a distinct consistent flavor throughout, it just happened to be weird flavor choice and land on the person who has just too much curry.

less a "oh that woman! she can't even cook!" and more "she's a quirky perfectionist"

Contrast with the P3 & P4 scenes where it is:
-"comically" cannot read and do basic instructions
-has no sense of flavor resulting in a hodge podge of everything going into the meal
-probably burnt
-it being rendered as an amorphous poisonous blob that cannot be eaten
-OR as a "pretty" but tasteless blob

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

There are some things going on with Kasumi's cooking, but this will become clear much, much later.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 71: 6/30-7/1: Exhibitionism

Early Morning

We defeated Kaneshiro, so we can rest easy for a while… I guess? So, what do you want to do today? Maybe something like a trip to Mementos?

Sorry, Ann. We’re going to wait on that Mementos visit, at least until we’re ready to take care of Chihaya’s request.

I mean, breaks are important… But we have those requests on the message board, so don’t forget to answer them.

Early Morning → After School

We’re going to hang with Yusuke today, so we need to pull an Emperor Persona from the Velvet Room.

As a result of your daily efforts, the number of Personas in the Inmate Registry has risen. Our master is pleased with your rehabilitation and has yet again bestowed a special privilege.
We’re giving you a discount on summoning from the Inmate Registry! You’d better be thankful, Inmate!
If you fill the registry with even more names, our master says he can arrange further privileges for you. Work hard toward your rehabilitation.

Neat, a… 10% discount. Awesome. It’s at least better than the 5% discount we got in the original game for 25% completion. Whatever, let’s just summon that Persona and get out of here.

(Easygoing Shujin Girl) What!? Are the Phantom Thieves at it again? …By the way, who’s Kaneshiro?

This line has some strong “I can’t believe Steve Jobs died of ligma.” “Who’s Steve Jobs?” energy to me.

He’s the mafia boss running Shibuya. It’s all over the internet?!

(Modest Housewife) That must have been terrifying. What happened?
Terrifying indeed! Fortunately, he only lost a cheap wallet. Couldn’t have cost more than 100,000 yen.
That would be unimaginable for us. I should have expected nothing less for your family though. Ohoho…

It is on display as we speak. Would you like to come see it with me?

Yeah, sure, let’s get this looming disaster out of the way.

Then let us head to the museum. To be honest, I have yet to actually go there myself. This should be quite lovely. *chuckle*

Emperor Rank 3: Part 64

Hm, I believe my piece truly stands out among the sea of art here.

It’s certainly a lot less… erm… “tranquil.”
Despite this, no one has come to see it… They must simply be intimidated by the harsh truths about the human spirit it reflects back at them.
Uhhhh… Yeah. Probably that.

There’s a dark, almost sinister aura emanating from it.
(Middle-Aged Man) Hm, the title is… “Desire”? I see no desire here.

Some student probably painted this thinking he was being “deep.”
Wait… I can sense it reflecting harsh truths about the nature of humanity back at me… and I don’t like it! It confuses and upsets me! Dear, let’s go. There’s much more *refined* paintings over there. Ooh, look! That one’s just a mirror!

…Don’t worry about me, Maaku. I am unfazed by the reaction of such philistines.
That’s good… Wait, you called me a philistine when you showed it to m—

As long as those who are in the know understand my work, I will be happy.

Ah, an *intellectual* patron, here to appreciate something above the understanding of the masses!
Well, that’s a classic tee-up if I’ve ever seen one.

I would like your opinion, sir… What are your thoughts on this piece?

Well, the technique is excellent, but the work itself… *eh*.

How dare you…!

Oh, did you paint this? Well, your painting is bad and you should feel bad. This conception of “desire” is a bit trite at this point, no? There’s no sense of individuality, no sense of *you* here.

What…?
Try to remove yourself from the artist’s bias. These brush strokes are splendid given your age… but does this painting really tell you anything? It is empty, devoid of meaning.

I honestly don’t know that much about static visual forms of art like paintings or sculpture or whatever, but it seems to me like one of the facets of the medium, perhaps even one of its strengths, is that it doesn’t necessarily need to tell a story or indeed say anything. Like, isn’t that the whole point of Cubism or whatever? The meaning is what you bring to it, and the Cubist “meaningless” distortion of space becomes the story. And that’s not even getting into Dadaism, which is an outright assault on the concepts of meaning and art itself. What I’m saying here is that this dude (by which I mean the writers) don’t know poo poo about purely interpretational forms of art with no inherent “purpose,” and would probably flip their poo poo upon seeing some real abstract poo poo.

The other thing I’ll say is that Yusuke’s painting looks loving dope as hell, honestly, and if they wanted this dude to sound like he in any way knows what he’s talking about they probably should have just found a way to avoid showing it at all.

What!? Bitch, this is a *landscape* painting, you have no idea what you’re talking about.
What are you talking about?
Err, uhh, nothing. I’m incredibly delusional.

I suggest you take a more critical eye to your work in the future if you truly want to progress as an artist.

My work is… empty?

Well, that was an inordinately cruel thing to say to a high school student.

…Indeed.

How could this be? I put everything I have into this work, captured the very essence of my subject… This was supposed to be the truth of the world!
Hey, man. It’s fine, just don’t get so up your own rear end about your masterpiece or whatever. There’ll be other chances.

Perhaps… Perhaps he was right. It may be empty after all…

Okay, this is too far in the other direction, let’s mediate a bit…

These colors, these brush strokes… They do not convey the true meaning of desire, only my conception of it! I haven’t captured desire… Desire has captured me!

Hey, c’mon man, stand up. People are staring and I think they’ve already realized I’m with you. It’s getting very awkward for me.

It is though I have been forsaken by the gods of art! This grave mistake shall be the end for me!

It’s all over… Why even go on living if the world of art is forever closed to me?
Oh my god, dude. Chill.
…You’re right, of course. I should not surrender after a single failure.

Still, being criticized by someone with such a keen eye is truly painful…

I dunno, man. That guy seemed kinda like an idiot to me.
But I must break out of this slump and prove myself to him!

I will start by painting. After that, I will paint, beyond which I shall paint even more. That is the only way I will learn to capture the essence of emotion. After all, you can only accomplish so much in using logic to analyze the contents of the heart.

You sound like a robot right now. Well, also most of the time, but especially right now.

…I hope you allow me to continue my skill card services as well, Maaku. I shall conquer this!
Yusuke seems especially motivated…

Now then, let us head home. I wish to start anew.

…A slump, hm?

For that event, we chose options 3 (+2), 2, 2 (+3), 2 (+2).

That one gentleman’s critique made me fully realize what I’ve been lacking. Now my path is clear! I will simply keep on drawing. I’m going to have ten pieces finished up by end of today!

This seems like the worst possible way to get out of a slump.

Maaku, however, has no objection.

With your support, I was able to pick myself up rather quickly today. I hope this doesn’t discourage you from joining me again. I will get past this. Sorry for taking up so much of your time. We’ll meet again soon.

After School → Evening

Let’s do a crossword.

Music: Everyday Days

Not too hard, that one.

Today, we interview a man who was once a con artist. In our talk with him, we’ll cover the skillful methods of con men, which are constantly evolving.

(Con Artist) I’m not even top of my field! The ones you really gotta watch out for are them fortune-tellers! They’ll worm their way into your good graces with their amazing predictions, then sell you a lump of poo poo for a small fortune when you let your guard down!
(Interviewer) Surely people don’t actually fall for that?
(Con Artist) Not immediately, no. They work up a good relationship with you first over the course of months. Only a true sucker would fall for that on the first or second visit!
(Interviewer) Astonishing. I suppose there really are idiots out there. And what do these fortune-tellers do with their illicit earnings?
(Con Artist) Honestly, I’m not too sure. I heard from a buddy of mine that they’re fronting for a cult or something, but that’s absurd.

They really put a lot of thought into these scams. I wish they’d put all that effort to better use.

Well, let’s confront Chihaya about her dastardly scams! How dare you steal from someone too stupid to know any better (me)!

Hm? She’s with a client. Sounds like they’re talking about the Holy Stone. Do you wanna eavesdrop on them?

Well, I *do* love eavesdropping…

Chihaya Rank 0.75: Part 62

(Troubled Woman) I-I’m fine. It’s my fault anyway, Yuya said so… He says he doesn’t want to hit me, but I just make him so mad…

Have you considered breaking up with him?
No! I can’t! Yuya needs me!
But the way things are going, this will only get worse…
Isn’t there any other way?

…Let us ask the tarot. O divine power, shed light upon her fate…

Yes, I’ve seen everything.

Uhh… How can I make this scary enough to get through to her?
Huh?
Your boyfriend has the devil in him, waiting to strike out at the world and bring misery to others.
The devil? I don’t get it…
Maybe a touch too poetic? drat…
What’s going to happen?
Err… How to put this delicately… He’s going to hospitalize you and then get arrested.
No! This can’t happen! It must be because Yuya threw away my Holy Stone! He said if I have money to spend on stupid rocks I have money to give to him instead. If I buy another, I can stop this, right? Please, let me buy another!
(muttering) Oh wow, I hate all of this!
Wait, what…? Another Holy Stone?
I don’t have a lot of liquidity at the moment, but I can pay you in installments, right!?
And to add insult to injury, she didn’t even *mention* the installment plan when we talked to her!

Um, truthfully, I feel breaking up with him would be the best—
I can’t abandon Yuya!

Wait, she thinks the Holy Stone will make her boyfriend stop abusing her? Could that be true?
What!? What the gently caress is wrong with you? Of course not! We’ve been over this, it was a scam!

Right. It would make our jobs way easier if you could really change someone’s heart with a Holy Stone.

My question is, why’s a fortune-teller who can clearly actually predict the real, actual future ripping people off with bullshit chotchkies?
It’s definitely strange…
We can worry about that later. Right now we should probably, you know, stop this travesty.
…Yeah! Let’s change Yuya’s heart ourselves!
Also, we should probably stop this lady from throwing her money away.
That too!
What’s that meowing? Is there a cat here? And is someone *talking* to it? I’ll just turn my head to the left and chec—
HEY! Eavesdropper!

Lady, this is a public street you’re operating on. There is zero expectation of privacy.
Grr…
Anyway… Don’t buy that stone, lady. It’s a scam.
Hey… You don’t understand. Her fate is inescapable… We cannot get rid of the malformed creature residing in Yuya normally… Fate is absolute. But… maybe if you bought a Holy Stone you could control its temper…
You’re a bad person. Thankfully, I’m here to help.
U-Um, sorry, but what can you do to help me?
Gimme his name and leave it to me.
My boyfriend’s name…? It’s Yuya Uchimura. Why do you need to know…? Please, don’t hurt him…
Don’t hurt him? drat. Well, then time for good ol’ Plan B!
You can’t change her fate with just a name… Ridiculous!
Wait… I’ll trust him.
Huh!?
He feels sincere. Also, Yuya has all my money, so I can’t afford it anyway. I’ll put my trust in this boy over a Holy Stone, if that’s my only option. Thank you anyway. Goodbye.

Dude! Stop loving with my business! I have a quota!
Honestly, the poo poo you just tried to pull was loving disgusting and I don’t know how can you possibly justify it to yourself.
You’ll see… Fate cannot be changed! This will prove it! If she stays with her boyfriend, she will be gravely injured in a year’s time! Try to change her destiny! But when you fail, it will be my turn! I will save her with my Holy Stones!
I can’t even tell if you believe the poo poo you’re spewing right now.

Well, we finally got the request that unlocks Chihaya’s Confidant. Also, I forgot how deeply unpleasant she is here!

Anon: get off your high horse

Early Morning

A legendary female pope, huh? Do you think she really existed?

The answer………… is no.

I want something filling, but with summer coming up I’m worried about having too many calories…
(Discerning Student) Why don’t we get tea? The diner in Shibuya serves Frui-Tea. It smells good, it’s great for your skin, and it totally increases your charm!
Frui-Tea? What a cute name! Sounds yummy! Being stylish starts from the inside out, after all. Guess I’ll try some.

I do not think that’s actually how being stylish works.

Sounds like a hip drink that’s real popular with the ladies. You want to try some?

No rule against dudes drinking it. If it tastes good and makes you more stylish, might as well, right? It might be a good idea to boost your Charm by drinking Frui-Tea whenever you’re at the diner.

Let’s get going. We’re going to be late if we don’t hurry.

Early Morning → Morning

A variety of heroes battling for dominance—truly an epic time.

There are heroes on both sides.

Charismatic rulers and warlords with the command of a thousand men may have their own appeal… But personally, I think that the strategists who support them can’t be ignored. Now then, Hamiru-kun. In his book, Zhuge Liang of Shu is famous for his exploits during the Battle of Red Cliffs… He’s also the inventor of the baozi, a kind of round dumpling. But their original name was based on their appearance. What’s the meaning of the original Chinese phrase that these dumplings’ name came from?

That is correct. Its original name, mantou, came from a phrase meaning “a barbarian’s head.” At the time, one region’s barbarians would use a person’s head as an offering to soothe the deity of a flooding river. But Zhuge Liang made a baozi in the shape of a head as a substitute.

These days, you can find baozi with cute faces on them. If you think about their origin, it’s not too off the mark.
I never knew strategists came up with cooking, and not just strategies… Makoto’s our strategist. Wanna see what she can cook up?

Morning → After School

The target should be in Mementos. Let’s hurry up and deal with ‘em.

I know. We’re gonna handle it today, in fact.

(Rookie Station Attendant) Yes sir, Chief! But isn’t that the police’s job?
We have a duty to keep our guests safe. That’s why we need to be aware of what’s happening in town.
Roger that, Chief! I’m with you all the way!

Over in Shibuya on the train platform heading to Aoyama-Itchome, I find these two station attendants to eavesdrop on. I did not know they were here and I will probably forget to ever check their dialogue again after this.

And we’re going to head to the hideout for a Mementos trek… next time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arist posted:

Frui-Tea? What a cute name! Sounds yummy! Being stylish starts from the inside out, after all. Guess I’ll try some.

I do not think that’s actually how being stylish works.

You'll never feel more fashionable than after a nice healthy day of colonic irrigation

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

I think Yusuke's painting rules too, it does have a sinister vibe to it but I think it's like the allure of a terrible idea.

Finishing up 10 paintings in an evening is such a teenage artist move. Just brute force a slump, who needs sleep.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I just think it's funny that he's taken direct inspiration from a fantastical new world plugged into everyone's soul and the end result from people is a resounding "meh".

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Perhaps looking at an image of the literal manifestation of human desire and thinking "this is meaningless" is itself a meaning

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

YaketySass posted:

I just think it's funny that he's taken direct inspiration from a fantastical new world plugged into everyone's soul and the end result from people is a resounding "meh".

It makes sense, honestly. AI generated art looks really loving cool and involved, and... also tends to be underwhelmingly recieved because once you get past how cool it looks, you realize that there's nothing meaningful there. Yusuke's painting LOOKS cool and is competently made, but to the vast majority of people, it's a monochrome swirly thing with some red orbs.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Honestly if you told me that this picture was inspired by a metaphysical space of human emotion, I'd be like "and that's it?"

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, the essential problem of the piece is not that it isn't striking or doesn't reflect an essential truth, it's that it's incomplete and probably not as polished as it could be. Which dovetails into Yusuke's social link quite nicely, really.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If that's what the game is trying to convey it should probably communicate that idea a little better in this scene, is all I'm saying. The stated problem just feels a little vague.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

It turns out that Royal’s soundtrack has landed on spotify and apple music. Obviously spoilers to some degree if you look for it but I feel like it’s worth mentioning.

Oh, also Strikers’.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The most notable thing about the soundtracks being on Spotify is that holy poo poo they finally put up the full version of Colors Flying High

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Colors Flying High and Counter Strike are gonna be on repeat for the next few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh boy, time to head into Mementos! Yep! That’s what we’re doing today!

Chapter 72: 7/1-7/4: I Lied

Uhhhhhhhhhh… Well, funny story about that… See, when I was putting the last update together, I never actually checked to see if we did, in fact, enter Mementos. I ended my recording at the hideout, so I had assumed that was what I had done next, but… nope! In my next recording, I instead reloaded my last save and went somewhere else! Oops! That’ll learn me to assume I did something rational! Don’t worry though, we will definitely go to Mementos soon, oh joy.

Editor’s note: We will not see Shiho in this event.

Do you think we could maybe spend some time together before I go?

Thanks! Hm, what should I get for Shiho…? It’s hard deciding by myself.

Lovers Rank 5: Part 42

Need… crêpe…
I’m pretty sure you can’t bring that into the hospital.
Right…

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention—Shiho started her physical rehab. She pushed it up ahead of schedule. I think it’s because I told her about how I want to get stronger. She said she was gonna start working hard too…

Hold on, it’s my phone.

What? Now!? Uhhh, that’s not good!

What’s the rumpus?
Sorry to spring this on you, but my agency just texted me. A model didn’t show for a magazine shoot and they need me to fill in.
Can you make it in time?
Don’t worry, it’s pretty close. Wanna come?
Not particularl—
Come on, let’s go!

It looks like they’re having a pre-shoot briefing…

You said it was “close.”
Yeah, it is. So?
Ann, we’re about fifty yards away from where we were just standing.

HELL YEAH, BEST CHARACTER IS BACK

After I saw you in last year’s show, I just… *sniff* Oh, I think I’m gonna cry…
U-Um, it really wasn’t a big deal… That fashion show was tiny…

You can call me Mika. No honorifics! Despite your youth, you’re way more experienced than me, Ann-senpai.
This feels weird, but hey, not gonna complain! Nice to meet you!
You’re so nice!
I am immediately suspicious of this because I am afraid of women.

Hey, can you teach me how to be a better model? You know, your everyday routines, stretches…

Routines? Is that something you eat?
Huh…? How do you keep in shape?
Uhh… I dunno? It just kinda happens. My doctor told me I have something called “Pygmalion’s Syndrome,” where my features are perfectly sculpted as if I was made of marble, impossible to tarnish by any mortal means. He then said I was the most preternaturally beautiful creature on this hellblasted planet, and that I must use this power for good.
…Are you making fun of me? I guess you really don’t want to share your secrets, huh…
Oh, no, I’m not hiding anything! I guess I just don’t take this that seriously, is all!

…What?

(shouting) Wow, Ann, I can’t believe you just said you loving hate these guys and don’t want to model for them!
Wait, I didn’t say—
Aha! She emerges!

(Photoshoot Assistant) …You said that, Ann-chan?
I love this magazine! Everyone tries so hard to make sure their product is the best…!
(Cameraman) Mika-chan, just calm down. Don’t worry, we all know that you’re giving it your all here.

*sniff* Sorry, it’s just that it’s your hard work she’s insulting… *sniff*

H-Hold on…

Ann, to tell you the truth, we called both of you as substitutes. We were going to make you fight over the cover spot for our amusement, but if that’s how you really feel, I guess we’ll just take Mika…

H-Hey, I didn’t…
…Heh.
You faker…!
Y-You’re so mean, Ann-chan…! Do you really hate me that much!?

We could still have them fight, I guess…
Nah… I’m not feeling it any more…

Sorry about all this, Ann-chan. We won’t be needing you today. We’ll reimburse your transportation expenses though, and even throw in a little extra for your trouble.

Transportation expenses? We got here from down the street…
She’s joking. It cost tens of thousands of yen. Limousines don’t come cheap. And you can go ahead and make that out to “Maaku Hamiru”…

The magazine staff left for the photoshoot…

Oh, absolutely.
I think it’s because I know deep down that I’m not invested in modeling… and Mika can see right through that. Her fake crying was really incredible, though…

I-I dunno though, I think I’m pretty good at fake crying myself. I know the perfect technique.

This should be good. Lay it on me.

Listen carefully… The key is… you don’t actually cry!

…How do you survive? Like, just in general?

Either way, I think I’ll be able to use that ability to our advantage in the Metaverse! I’ll turn my failure today into positive energy going forward!
I sense a heightened motivation from Ann…

Oh boy, it’s complete garbage!

Speaking of the Metaverse… I’m gonna try super hard in my work with the Phantom Thieves too! But for now, I should go stop by and see Shiho at the hospital. Thanks for today! Bye!

For that event, we chose options 2 (+2), 2 (+2), 1 (+2), 1, 1.

After School → Evening

(Host) Popular idol Rise Kujikawa is releasing a new song! This time, the theme is “mature love”!
(Panelist) She’s really gained a lot of sex appeal since she hit 20. And look how hot her outfit is, too!

Goddammit, stop creeping on Rise! :argh:

Music: Crossroads

Don’t blame me if you get eaten alive, okay?

Well, we should probably finally unlock Ohya now. Might as well, right?4

I should probably go back to the Thieves’ Den eventually. Later!

How much did I drink today? What time is it? Ah, who cares. …Wait, I care.
She’s so drunk she hasn’t even noticed you’re here.

I wanna be this when I grow up. Blot out the sun with alcohol!

If we have her write articles, it’ll have an effect on the Metaverse. We might be able to use her if we do it right. Should we try forming a deal with Ohya?

Hey you! Lady! I can drink you under the table! By which I mean, I will immediately collapse under the table!

Devil Rank 1: Part 55

(slurred) If you’re tryin’ to rip me off, I’m gonna reveal all your secrets in a feature article!
*notices Maaku* (Extremely happy drunk voice) Oh! It’s you!
…Please, have a seat.

Or maybe… you’re just falling in love with me, hm?

*sweating profusely* I don’t know how to answer that.
You’ve at least got some Phantom Thieves info for me then, yeah?

Thank god… My publisher just assigned me to be the beat reporter for the Phantom Thieves.

How fortuitous! Also, honestly, a bit odd, considering we—I mean they—haven’t gotten much attention so far.

Man… This will reaaaally help me out.
Are you seriously going to use this child as a source of information?
Oh, don’t be such a killjoy. These kids nowadays know about things we adults don’t have access to. Besides, what’s most important is that I now have a reliable third-party source for my stories.

Hear that? I’m *reliable*. Hell yeah! Oh poo poo, where’s my phone? *patting self down* I *just* had it, this is crazy… Oh, wait, I was holding it. False alarm!

Whatever…
So, what do you want from me this time? Information about someone? Cold hard cash?

If it’s one of those I’m sorry to say you’re out of luck. Lala chewed me out last time for almost getting you killed. In my defense though, I was very drunk when I did that… so… mitigating factors! Also, I’m broke.
I don’t want anything.

Huh…?

You serious, kid? Wow, I guess I can take it easy!

…As if. What do you want? Just tell me. Last time it was info on Kaneshiro, right? The office has been abuzz lately… I think it’s Kaneshiro related. Something’s fishy…

I’m just a humble supporter of the Phantom Thieves. All I want is for you to write your articles.
Hm… I probably shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth here…

Hey, I’m not gonna let you use this kid so you can take a vacation…

I was joking about relaxing. I’m conducting a private investigation in my free time. No one at work knows.
Okay, first off, you spend all your free time here. Second, you just told me and this random kid about it. Third, this isn’t about *her*, is it…?
Hey kid, let’s make a deal… You give me info on the Phantom Thieves… And I’ll write my articles. Not sure what you’re getting out of this besides vicarious thrill at seeing their notoriety grow, but whatever… That okay with you?
I really should be asking for some form of compensation here considering all I’m doing is helping you do your job, but… fine. Write something good.

I will, I will. But the quality of the articles will depend on the info you provide me.

85% of what I tell you is probably going to be lies anyway, considering that the truth would make me sound like a lunatic, so whatever.

…All right then. It’s a deal. I can create a lot of positive PR for the Phantom Thieves, so be sure to give me some good scoops.
I’ve made a deal with Ohya…

You guys sure were in the newspapers a lot. How did you swing that? Did you have a publicist, or… maybe an inside man in the media?
What’s a newspaper?

So, Ohya’s Confidant was kind of infamous in the original game for being pretty… useless, I suppose would be the word? Royal has not done much to fix this. Her abilities are slightly different, but they still revolve around the security level, a thing you basically never need to care about (and double don’t need to care about in Royal). Her new max rank skill is better, I suppose, but its usefulness is still fairly marginal. We’ll get to that in time.

Music: Crossroads

Maybe that’s a sign that you shouldn’t be going to a high schooler for information.

Okay, Lala-chaaan! Time to celebrate our agreement! Bring out my bottle! And two glasses please…!
……
…C’mon! Please…?
……
…Whoa, her silence is golden. Fine, fine, FINE! I won’t make the high schooler drink!

Good, because I’m straight edge for life.

Ugh, I gotta use the bathroom…

I was able to pique Ohya’s interest… I feel like my Charm has increased…

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Don’t stick around Shinjuku too long after dark, honey. We get a lot of shady types coming out of the woodwork.

Hey! Lala-chaaaaan! C’mon, where are you!?

Honestly. That lady’s going to be the death of me…

Well, at the very least, Ichiko-chan’s probably going to drink until sunrise. And since she’s in such a good mood, she’d probably make you stick around until she’s done.

Well, I’d better get back inside. You’ll always be welcome here. But head straight home tonight, okay?

Anon: don’t even bother with this

Morning

*bell sound*
(Woman’s Voice) …Is this on? Ms. Chouno, please come to the faculty office at once.
What could this be? I’m off to the faculty office, so make sure you study on your own.

So, what’s the plan?

We’re gonna finish The Illusory Popess.

Maybe the people of that era made up this mysterious female pope, but she’s still an inspirational figure.

I mean… I guess you can be both fake and inspirational… Sort of…

Pope Johanna, loved by so many… Reading about her must have taught you the value of forgiveness…

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

Ah! The teacher’s back!

Phew, that was close. Kawakami helped us get a good chunk of free time though!

Morning → After School

Thank you. It will be nice to have you there when I talk to her. Wait for me in the student council room. I’ll call her in.

Priestess Rank 3: Part 64

Eiko Takao-san. You’ve been spending time in the red-light district lately, haven’t you? Both myself and Maaku-kun here saw you there. Based on where you were heading, we assume you’re working at a store called the After School Salon. How is it, working there?

(Eiko) What? Oh, I getcha. It’s nothing like what you’re thinking. It’s a normal café, no weird stuff. Well, I hafta wear a costume, but that’s really it.

Hm. So you’re sure nothing strange is going on?
Yup yup, the worst I get is some weird old guys gawking at me.
I see… Beyond that though, why are you working there? …How’s your financial situation?

Uh, I’m doing fine? I can just ask my folks for cash whenever, I just want some extra spending money without them getting on my case about what I’m spending it on. That’s why I’m working at the salon.

I get some good spending money, plus the guys who come in there like, mega pamper me.
Mega… pamper?
It’s nice having people treat you like you’re special, y’know? I’m sure a super honor student like you gets that all the time though.

But, like… what’s the deal with this meeting? You’re not gonna tell on me, are you? You even brought a witness… Wait, does that mean you two were in Shinjuku together?
Um, well, you see…
Me? And her? *deep, sardonic laughter* Ah, that’s too funny. Anyway, no, we’re not dating. I’m *so* out of her league.
……

At any rate, don’t mind him. As for you… I don’t plan on telling anyone.
Ohhh, I get it! So we’re like, protecting each other’s secrets? Oh crap, and I just realized your boyfriend’s that rumored criminal… You’re a real badass, Miss Prez!

Yep, I’m a stone cold killer. One time when I was a kid I threw a banana peel on the ground, and then a man came by and slipped on it, and then he got attacked by a random dog and it ripped his arm clean off, and then he got up, looked me dead in the eye, and told me, “And that’s why you don’t litter.”
…Good story.
Thank you.
Anyway, as he said, we’re not dating!
Whatever. Anyway, I’ve been wondering, is that Buchimaru-kun pencil case yours?
Oh, this? You know about him?

I had like, tonnns of Buchi stuff back when I was a kid. What a blast from the past! Wait, why’s it so beat up!?

It’s from elementary school… I’d get a new one, but they’ve long since discontinued Buchimaru-kun merchandise…

OMG, this is too hilarious! The student council president has an adorable pencil case? My image of you has done like, a complete 360 today.
Um… Isn’t that a full circle?

I absolutely made the Xbox 360 joke in the original LP, right? There’s definitely no need to make it here? Okay then.

It’s just surprising. I didn’t think you’d be into that kinda stuff. You always seemed kinda like a robot, but you’ve got another side to you. Hey, let’s trade phone numbers! I wanna talk to you about Buchimaru-kun! And your boyfriend!
Ah, the downsides of having immaculate chemistry with literally everyone…

O-Oh, um… Okay. Wait, he’s not my boyfriend…
Aaand saved! Oh crap, it’s this late already? I’ve gotta get to work. I’ll send you tons of pics of my Buchimaru-kun collection later though. Bye byeee!

Honestly though, I’m in shock. She thought I was a robot…

01000010 01100101 01100101 01110000 00100000 01100010 01101111 01101111 01110000 00101110

You know, I believe what Takao-san said about me is how others think as well. I thought I had changed after the incident with Kaneshiro, but perhaps it wasn’t enough…

But having now met someone so different from myself, I’m going to try to change my perspective. Hopefully then I can break out of my shell.

I hope you’re ready. I’m going to show you how useful an honor student can really be.

Cool, I’ll call you when I need a nerd to do my homework for me.

I can sense a quiet resolve from Makoto…

I’ll be interested to speak with Takao-san some more now that I have her contact information. Perhaps I can correct her misconceptions about you… And as always, I’ll let you know if anything important happens. Well, see you later.

For that event, we chose options 1 (+2), 2 (+3).

I got a message from Takao-san earlier. She turned out to be quite a fan of Buchimaru-kun.

I didn’t expect to bond over something like this, though. I’m pretty shocked, to be honest. …Though I’m still a little worried about that store she works at… I’ll try a little harder to get through to her about it. I might come to you for more advice later. For now, I’ll let you go. Talk to you later.

After School → Evening

Even the teachers are on watch. We can’t relax just yet!

Sometimes one of the bars in Kichijoji will be inhabited by one of our teachers for a single night. I’ve probably already missed at least one of these appearances, but I’ll do my best to show what I can.

Eyyyyy, Akechi time!

I have some time before the shoot. If you’re not busy, do you want to hang out?

Darn, he won’t rank up.

Good. Then let’s get going.

Nevertheless, we will persist. There’s something I’m pushing to unlock ASAP and Akechi’s Confidant is how we do that.

I feel like my bond with Akechi will grow stronger soon…
See you later.

Huh…? Who could that be at this hour?

We’ve been busy lately, so I wanna be able to at least relax on Sunday. Where would be a good place to go? I know. Wanna try going to the fishing pond in Ichigaya?
The fishing pond, huh? Sounds fun! So are you going there with Ryuji?
>Respond later

We have some stuff to do tomorrow, so we’ll put off replying.

Don’t forget to respond, okay?

All right, you nag.

Anon: NO. They piss me off.

Early Morning

It’s been various things… Studying, daily life… Do you think we could meet? I’d like to tell you about it.

No.

Not to rain on your parade, but I need you to finish eating before I can open up shop.

I guess we should check on it when we’re done with our meal.

Morning → Daytime

GAH

Listen carefully. You must come today. Otherwise you shall very well lose that Persona…

Okay, I’ll do it, drat.

The target should be in Mementos. Let’s hurry up and deal with ‘em.

Christ, there’s a lot going on today.

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Take a look at this! The Body Building Set! It’s a tough world out there, so be tougher and get those muscles! 1 Imported Protein, 3 Moist Protein, and… 3 Protein! All in one! How fantastic is that!?

Akihiko is doing backflips right now.

But that’s not all! There’s more! This is the Calm Mind Set! Get ready for an incense experience! 1 Ambergris ST, 1 Ambergris EN, and… 1 Ambergris LU! Can you believe this incredible deal!?

We’ll go for the Calm Mind Set, just in case we ever decide to use Lockdown.

Speaking of which, let’s finally pull out that Persona from Lockdown.

It learns Dodge Wind, which is handy because it had a Wind weakness. Much more useful than the one time we used it in the base game and learned loving Resist Dizzy, which I’m still mad about.

Time to drink this vegetable bathwater, I guess. Maaku gains Kindness +1.

We’re actually going to go do Ryuji’s fishing thing today, because despite the fact that we don’t need points with him or with Kawakami, who will show up as part of the event, we don’t have a lot of good options at the moment. We have Takemi, who I’m deprioritizing for now, Ann, who isn’t ready to rank up and who also is not really a priority right now, or Makoto, who I’m honestly about to start actively avoiding because her Rank 5 event requires maxed Charm and we’ve only got Rank 3. So at least doing this will unlock the fishing pond, I guess, even if we’re unlikely to utilize it in this run.

I hope the other fish’ll bite this easily! Sweet! Let’s meet up in Shinjuku.
They have lots of fish at the pond, right? I can’t wait! Let’s get going already!

A little presumptuous on your part, but all right…

…Hey, doesn’t meetin’ in a place like this look like we’re talkin’ some shady business? I like it.

We are incredibly suspicious, yes. To my understanding this is not what most teenagers find “fun.”

…Man, the fish ain’t bitin’. The float hasn’t moved at all… If only there was a master fisher around. Then we could steal their ideas…

…Oh crap, she’s comin’ this way.

Why are you sitting around like old men? Why don’t you go out and do something more exciting?
Wha—Look who’s talkin’!
*sigh* Adults need time to themselves to unwind and clear their thoughts. You’ll understand soon enough, when you start working in the real world.
Wow… Soundin’ real old there, Kawakami.
That’s MS. Kawakami to you!

She’s hookin’ fish like crazy!
It’s easy. Just clear your mind and free yourself from negative thoughts.
So the trick is not to think! …How am I supposed to do that?

Resist… the urge… to make the obvious joke…

>Accept the grim reality of society.

Love that dialogue option.

I see. So when you get jaded like Kawakami, you’ll just naturally attract fish… …Uhh, I don’t think that’s right.

It’s a nice, sunny Sunday. I didn’t think I’d be stuck fishin with you two on my day off. *sigh* Two troublemakers, and their no-good teacher… I guess we’re perfect for each other.
She keeps getting’ fish even as she nags… I’m impressed!

She’s the “master” all right. It’s like she was *made* for this. Looks like she’s *dusting* off those fish.
Just shut up.
Yeah, that last one was a little tortured.
Oh yeah, that reminds me. Whatever happened with that maid thing after Mishima and I left?
GAK
Gesundheit.

Didn’t think I’d see somethin’ like that today… Guess we’ll head back.

Daytime → Evening

Tora time!

You can consider this… a formal request. I have something scheduled after my speech, and I need you to come with me.

We’ll be meeting someone after this at a sushi restaurant. I appreciate your help.

Sun Rank 7: Part 84

(Benzo) …However, the government’s overall approval rating is dangerously low.
I’ll be sure to proceed with caution.

This is really boring… I might just nod off for a minute…

No, Maaku! You’ll miss the foreshadowing for the main storyline!

Yoshida… I’ll be frank. I’m going to be running a campaign of my own for my grandfather’s seat and I want you to educate me.
You are aware I was planning to run myself, yes? Besides, I’m not exactly qualified to teach anyone…
I know you’ve been working incredibly hard these last two decades. You’re no amateur. Besides, you already have a pupil, don’t you?
*shoots awake, still drooling* …Guh???
Your reputation has recovered immensely these past months… or maybe even weeks. My grandfather has even stated he wishes to make peace with you.

I’d be happy to bury the hatchet with Mr. Kuramoto… But I’m not worthy to join his group again.
I thought that you would find these conditions favorable… So I ask that you keep what I’m about to tell you a secret.
Sorry, could you give us a moment, Hamiru-kun?
No, I’d like for your favorite pupil to hear this too.

*snoring*

…? Wait a moment… is your plan to involve him so that I can’t decline?
I simply trust his discretion. The Kuramoto group is planning to move forward with a political realignment.

Are you saying that you’re going to secede from the Liberal Co-Prosperity Party…?
With the government in a weakened state, now’s our chance. As such, I want to emphasize our unity.
And so you’ve come to me, a former member of the Kuramoto Children… But my views differ from those of the Kuramoto group. And I don’t intend on changing them.
I understand. However, you won’t be able to put those beliefs into action if you don’t get elected. …Hamiru-kun, could you talk some sense into him? You’ll benefit as well.
(asleep, murmuring) No, Tora… Don’t do it…

You think so too, hm…? Haha, you’re not intimidated, even by the grandson of a big-time Diet member.

Don’t, Tora… Don’t eat that pumpkin… It’s too big…

…I appreciate your offer, but I must respectfully decline.
So you’re okay with being No-Good Tora forever?

*shaking self awake, rubbing eyes* Hey… Don’t call him thaaaaaat… *yawn* He’sh gonna do it… He’ll get elected… You’ll see…

Hamiru-kun…
Looks like you chose the wrong politician to follow.

No. He believes in something. Even if it’s at times frustratingly unclear what that thing is. And I respect that too much to abandon him.

Try to understand that he has his own beliefs.
…My apologies. I made a slip of the tongue. And in front of your secretary, no less. I don’t need an answer right away. If you want to show deference to my grandfather… please let me know. I already took care of the bill, so enjoy. Now, if you’ll excuse me…

I bet when push came to shove, Kuramoto-kun intended to lure you in. He probably didn’t expect me to remain so calm after he showed his trump card. I feel surprisingly at easy whenever you’re with me, like that time with Matsushita.

I’m truly indebted to you, Hamiru-kun. Please, continue to help me.

I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper…

You know, from the way he was acting, I’d swear Kuramoto-kun was hiding something… Ah, my apologies. We’re done eating, so let’s go home.
I was able to fend Kuramoto off using only words. I feel like my Charm has increased…

Maaku gains Charm +2.

Good work today.

Anon: It’s fun, so whatever.

Early Morning

We’re going to read Vague to unlock Harajuku, because… screw it. It’s honestly completely unnecessary and I have much better ways to spend this time, but I’m doing it anyway!

You could learn about cutting-edge fashions there, but I’d say what’s on the inside is more important… Still, this place looks fun, almost like a theme park. Taking someone there might be a pretty good idea.

Harajuku seems to have a lot of cool shops. Takenoko Street also seems pretty interesting.

You should invite someone to go sometime. I can’t imagine you as the fashionable type, though…

Early Morning → Morning

The humidity is what kills me about Japanese summers. I miss the dry heat of California. Not to mention, July and August both have thirty-one days. Summer is long… Now then, Mr. Hamiru! Two people are responsible for July and August having 31 days. Do you know who these people are?

The joke answer just so happens to also be correct.

Great! That’s right. You may already know this… But the months of “July” and August” are named afer the Roman emperors Julius and Augustus. Augustus named a month after himself, just like Julius. However, he felt like he would be losing if his month was shorter than Julius’s, so he added a day. It’s a mystery why men are so stubborn and prideful over silly things like this.

Well, as far as you’re all converned, you’re just lucky to get a long vacation. But before that, you have exams. They start next week on the 13th. Don’t forget, okay?
Next Wednesday, huh… You’d better make sure you study.

Weather very well may have the same effect on Mementos as it has on humans…

So, on my first take of July 4th here (WOO AMERICA gently caress YEAH LET’S SET OFF A BUNCH OF FIREWORKS IN THE PARKING LOT LIKE COMPLETE ASSHOLES!!!!) I realized that I had forgotten to get my aojiru, so I had to reload my save from the previous day. Then, I got a call telling me I had forgotten to pick up my Persona so it loving died. So I had to go do 7/3 a third time and it was very annoying. That’s my story.

Anyway, if we head over to the library, we can pick up Speed Reader now. This isn’t due to us having finished all the other available books, for the record. It just unlocks naturally after 6/30. Much easier than the laborious process to get it in the original game.

And, we’re finally ready to head into Mementos. Finally. I swear I’m telling the truth this time, we’re actually gonna do it. The reason I put it off in the first place was because I was waiting for a rainy day, and here we are. Well… Yeah. Now I’ve belabored the point so thoroughly that it honestly sounds kind of suspicious, like I’m gonna do another bait-and-switch, but no. We’re really going to Mementos next time. Okay, bye.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 31, 2023