Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 92: 7/29-7/30: The Rehabilitation Of Maaku Hamiru

Music: The Days When My Mother Was There (Another Version)

Well, let’s head on out of the Palace.

Come inside—we have much to discuss.

D’okay.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Our master admires the progress of your rehabilitation, and hence has given you use of a special ritual.

Any further questions regarding this ritual can be directed toward our master himself.
He’s apparently gonna consider making even more rituals if your rehabilitation goes as planned. Work hard for it, Inmate!

And so, we (finally) unlock the Gallows, used to boost the level of one of our Personas by sacrificing another. I have no immediate use for this, so I won’t be partaking. Instead…

Strength Rank 6: Part 77

……
What’s wrong, Justine?

Does presiding over the growth of another not feel… familiar? Nostalgic, even?
Huh? We’ve never done this before, though.
Great, Igor foisted off a couple of greenhorns on me…
Stop muttering, Inmate!
I just feel like we’ve been in this situation before. Well, not the rehabilitation part, but the growth at least…
You’re not making any sense! The inmate’s growth is his rehabilitation! Hey, Inmate! You agree with me, right!?
To be fair to Other Twin, I have no idea what the gently caress any of you are ever talking about with this “rehabilitation” thing. I know what the word is *supposed* to mean, but the way you’re using it feels really vague and poorly-defined. Maybe “contrition” would be better? No, that kinda loses the prison theming—not that prison has much to do with rehabilitation in the first place, heh. Maybe “penance” would work better. Yeah, that tracks. Sorry, what were we talking about?
I’m going to poke you with my zapping stick now.
Yeah, that’s fair.

That rambling nonsense from Maaku was brought to you by my sudden realization while writing this update that “rehabilitation” likely has a vastly different connotation in Japanese society than in the West. See, Japan has a frankly absurd conviction rate, over 99.8 percent by some estimates, for a few reasons. One of those reasons is a very low prosecution rate, with prosecutors suspending prosecution in 60% of cases and use a simplified process for another 30%, only wanting to pursue the 8% or so of cases that are absolute slam dunks for fear of damaging their reputations with a loss.

Likewise, if you’re being prosecuted, the assumption is that you’re 1000% guilty and the main reason to show your face in court is to show remorse in hopes of getting a reduced sentence. For all the hay people make about Ace Attorney being an absurd parody of the Japanese legal system, the most ridiculous part of it is having a defense attorney willing to actually defend you. By the way, that extends to the judges as well, because they can suffer career penalties for “engaging in acquittals.” *shudder*

Oh, and before you make any assumptions about prosecutors at least only pressing charges when they’re sure they’re correct, the Japanese police are notorious for forcing false confessions by holding suspects for questioning for extremely long periods of up to 23 days without allowing them to talk to their families or lawyers. All this should make Sae’s whole character arc make a lot more sense, if you were unaware previously. The relevant bit in that spiel was the part about “showing remorse”. Granted, I don’t know much about the Japanese language, but what I know about Japanese society tells me that it’s pretty likely that the word “rehabilitation” might here be referring to that concept instead of the more traditional Western one of a sort of “rebirth.”

…Or, at least, I did think that, until I got curious enough to go down a rabbithole wherein I looked up the Japanese characters for “Caroline” (カロリーヌ) and the original Japanese version of “Confidant,” “Coop” (コープ), pasted those into Google until I found a video for this rank of the Strength Confidant, went to a line I knew had the original word “rehabilitation” in it, then searched kanji translations of the word “rehabilitation” on Jisho until I found one that was in the Japanese text for that line. I did find it, but the kanji the game used were 更生, for which the dictionary I was using did not list “reformation” or “contrition” or “penance” or anything like that in its definitions. No, it was all stuff like “rebirth” and “revival” and “reincarnation”, which fits thematically with Megaten as a franchise but seems to completely quash my theory unless they’re using that word connotatively in a sense that I can’t determine without lots of context I have no simple way of obtaining. Which, honestly, could very easily be the case, but I can’t actually tell.

Basically, the last four paragraphs have been a complete waste of time, both yours and mine! That’ll learn me for making myopic assumptions about translating from a foreign language I have no real experience with! Curse the vagaries of communication! For real though, I have no idea what I was thinking. Translation is an art form, and one I am not equipped to tackle for even a single word here.

We are supposed to judge his rehabilitation for ourselves, Caroline…
Our job here is all that matters Justine. No thinky!

I suppose… you are correct...
*sigh* I guess you’re gonna keep worrying about this till the inmate finishes his rehabilitation, huh, Justine? Look what you’ve done, Inmate. Getting us all wrapped up in your fate… Ugh.
……!? Could it be…?
What’s wrong?
…Nothing. But… I believe I am beginning to look forward to seeing whether the inmate can complete his tasks.
You heard her. DON’T disappoint us, Inmate!
I feel like my bond with Caroline and Justine is growing deeper…

*pause*

You only need speak with us once you obtain it. We will be able to tell.
Bring us a Lachesis, you hear!? One that knows Tetraja!

Well, let’s bail for now.

Music: The Days When My Mother Was There (Another Version)

It’s not spacing out, I’m doing important business. In my mind. Yeah.
You really worry me sometimes, man…

Let’s mosey.

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain-

After all, Medjed is quite different from anyone they’ve gone up against thus far. It seems their best option is to reveal their identities before more people are needlessly harmed.
He really hit us where it hurts… We’re going to beat them, though!

That was fast!

That was fast!

Yeah, I know!

I mean, I already wrote three of ‘em before this, remember?
But I came up with almost all of the sentences…
You don’t gotta mention that!
Smooth, Ryuji…
The real question here nis when we should go to Futaba’s room…
Well, um… I think our leader should decide.
Look who’s the smooth one now…
It really should be up to him though, don’t you think?
Absolutely. We have no choice but to carry this out.
It’s all on you, Maaku!
…There you have it. Sounds like a pretty important task got pushed on you. No point in thinking about it now though. We have to do it. Once you’ve made up your mind, just give the order as usual at the hideout.

Curry time.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

By the way… What was that sticky sauce you added?

LET ME EXPLAIN!

You throw it all together with such gusto. Could it be that the secret ingredient is… confidence?

No.

Maaku gains Guts +1 for an unrelated reason.

Nice! The curry’s smelling good…. This’ll definitely be a hit!

SNARF

We should rest for now. Got a big day tomorrow.

Anon: im staying out of this poo poo

Daytime

Music: Tokyo Emergency

It seems that the world will be affected by all this… Don’t you think so too?

Heh… A refreshingly honest answer. That kind of innocence is a privilege of the young. At any rate, they’ve made a strong impression on the hearts of the people. If this were a film, the Phantom Thieves got the opening sequence right. Let’s see what’s next.

Can Yellow Owl overcome the curry, or will he explode first? Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “When It Comes to Curry, Always Bet on Yellow.”

Music: Tokyo Daylight

There’s one thing we should really check out here before it ends on the first day of August.

There’s a special “Summer Mammoth” lottery at the lotto stand that might reward us with a much better payout. Unfortunately, we can’t savescum it because it doesn’t pay out for a month. Oh well, we’ll have to just remember to show up on August 22nd.

Anyway, let’s head back to the hideout.

Music: Suspicion

Well, I got the calling card, so lemme know when you decide.
This is different from past cases. We’ll be handing the calling card directly to Futaba herself. Once we give it to her, we’ll head straight into her Palace. There won’t be any time for prep work in between, so make sure you’re ready beforehand.

And that’s gonna do it for this one, because I’ve been busy. I was hoping to make it to the next natural stopping point at the start of the Cognitive Wakaba fight, but I’ll save that for next time.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sorry this one's so short, but I was worried if I dragged it out to the beginning of the sphinx fight I would run out of space. But also, I haven't updated in over three weeks due to being busy, so I wanted to put something out.

13 Sentinels is done, though, so I'll have more time for P5R now.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 17, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

To be fair to Other Twin, I have no idea what the gently caress any of you are ever talking about with this “rehabilitation” thing. I know what the word is *supposed* to mean, but the way you’re using it feels really vague and poorly-defined. Maybe “contrition” would be better? No, that kinda loses the prison theming—not that prison has much to do with rehabilitation in the first place, heh. Maybe “penance” would work better. Yeah, that tracks. Sorry, what were we talking about?

Am I missing something? I thought the "rehabilitation" is about Joker no longer having a sense of "freedom" (or whatever drove him to intervene on the behalf a stranger who ended up betraying him), and the velvet room was a means for him to be "rehabilitated towards freedom". The theming is that conforming to society or being a bystander is the "prison." Nonetheless, with that in mind, "rehabilitation" would have been completed the moment he awoken his persona and started intervening on the behalf of strangers again (though once again betrayed by one of them). "Rehabilitation," in that case, makes no sense unless Joker originally felt so free as to defy god but lost that extreme sense of freedom the moment he got charged.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's really unclear to me what they mean by it. Even that explanation feels very vague and poorly developed.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

It's really unclear to me what they mean by it. Even that explanation feels very vague and poorly developed.

That's fair. But I do not think the game, the velvet room, or the twins want Joker to feel bad for the things he has done. So I don't see why "penance" or "contrition" would be more fitting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think I'm getting too hung up on trying to parse it as a sentence to the point that I've neglected to consider what it means for the story. But also, it's mildly confused by Igor actually secretly acting against the protagonist.

I'd also forgotten about that "rehabilitated towards freedom" line, which doesn't quite solve things because we don't get a great read on the protagonist as a character himself. If the protag was a real character and not silent, maybe they could actually have properly shown me how he felt instead of all these weird poorly-translated halfhearted attempts to tell me.

Basically, I know the MC is pissed about what happened to him, but I never really buy that he regrets it. Why would I? He has no past to inform that regret. And because of that, the "rehabilitation towards freedom" angle makes less and less sense as the game goes on, because by all available evidence, Maaku thinks this poo poo is loving badass (and he's right).

E: also the reason I jumped to "contrition" and "penance" was because of that, because the "rehabilitation" felt like something that was being imposed upon the protagonist by Igor.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 18, 2022

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think it means 'we have a prison theme for this story and rehabilitation is supposed to happen in a prison right?' I'm not sure if it's more complicated than that, especially since it's apparently English-exclusive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hellioning posted:

especially since it's apparently English-exclusive.

To be clear (because I phrased it poorly in the update itself), the game is apparently using an equivalent of the word "rehabilitation" in Japanese as well. I was just saying that the connotation was different than I was expecting.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I think I'm getting too hung up on trying to parse it as a sentence to the point that I've neglected to consider what it means for the story. But also, it's mildly confused by Igor actually secretly acting against the protagonist.

E: also the reason I jumped to "contrition" and "penance" was because of that, because the "rehabilitation" felt like something that was being imposed upon the protagonist by Igor.

Funnily enough, Lavenza shares a similar sentiment in the original game: ""Now that I think back to when I was separated, I felt a disagreement to the word 'rehabilitation.' Of course I did... It was just a means for the fake to keep you under surveillance."

Arist posted:

I'd also forgotten about that "rehabilitated towards freedom" line, which doesn't quite solve things because we don't get a great read on the protagonist as a character himself. If the protag was a real character and not silent, maybe they could actually have properly shown me how he felt instead of all these weird poorly-translated halfhearted attempts to tell me.

Basically, I know the MC is pissed about what happened to him, but I never really buy that he regrets it. Why would I? He has no past to inform that regret. And because of that, the "rehabilitation towards freedom" angle makes less and less sense as the game goes on, because by all available evidence, Maaku thinks this poo poo is loving badass (and he's right).

Aside from the grimace the Makku had when he had the first flashback to Shido, any regret he might have had disappeared the moment "live a honest student life" disappeared from the list of objectives.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Arséne put it best during the awakening.
Saving that woman was the right thing to do, gently caress chrome dome and gently caress the system that protects him, no regrets full steam ahead.
That is the realization that compels Joker to act once again in that moment.

Although I didn't notice it first time around, "Igor" has a lot of red flags and his use of "rehabilitation" is one such flag.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arist posted:

To be clear (because I phrased it poorly in the update itself), the game is apparently using an equivalent of the word "rehabilitation" in Japanese as well. I was just saying that the connotation was different than I was expecting.

Ah, okay, nevermind then.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 93: 7/30: Open Your Heart

This update covers content from Part 78 of the original LP.

Let’s send the calling card.

Are you sure we’re ready to go? Once Futaba sees the calling card, we’ll need to head straight into her Palace. Is that okay?

Looks like it’s my turn to unlock the entrance. Forgive me, Chief.
How will we convince Futaba to let us into her room though? Even Boss is forbidden entry.

I dunno. Eh, let’s just wing it.

What—You don’t got anything!?

We’ve stumbled rear end-backwards through every other problem we’ve gone up against so far. Frankly, it would be insane to stop now.

Don’t worry, I have a plan.

Nerd.
*ahem* She asked us to do this, correct? She wants us to succeed. Therefore, if we tell her we need to see her to change her heart, she’ll have to let us inside. It’s not even really a lie.

You’re right… Our feelings should get through if we just try and talk to her.
All right, I believe in Futaba! C’mon, let’s get this done!

Huh? When did it get on here?

Futaba fiddles with the icon until…

Music: Desire

Oh gently caress! Ghost!

Wh-Who’re you?
I am the other you.
Is this some kinda hallucination? It’s different from usual…

Getting really sick of your poo poo, girl. Like, drat, you live like this? You can’t stay locked up in here blaming yourself. Remember the truth. If you keep hiding from it… I will kill them all in your world.

I… What should I do?

Music: Wicked Plan

There’s no mistaking it. This is the same door as in the Palace.
*knocking on door* Hello, Futaba? You’re there, aren’t you? Please answer us.
I doubt she’d answer…

*sigh* …Alibaba, please answer. You can even use chat messages if you want.

We can’t steal your heart if you don’t open this door. Please, let us in.

I’m not mentally prepared!

>You have three seconds.
That’s definitely not enough time!
We know that deep down, you want to open this door. The other you within your heart told us so.
That prolly means nothin’ to her…
We can’t fulfill our promise if you keep resisting us.

Give me some time.

>Three.
Wait! I need more time!
>Two.
Please!
>One. Okay, you heard her, boys. Time to get the ram.
Stop! I’ll open it! Just… gimme a sec before you come in.

Huh, she really did it. I was looking forward to busting down the door…

All right, let’s go in…

This room is quite the sty…
Yusuke, you’re only saying that because it has furniture. Though yes, it is pretty messy in here.
There’s a lot of technical books on the shelf here… Does Futaba really stay in this room all the time?
Hey, where is she?

I see. Like most of us, Futaba appears to have locked herself in the closet.

She’ll shut herself in to the bitter end, hm?

This isn’t going to be enough. If she doesn’t truly let us inside, then the Treasure won’t be reachable. We’ll just get stopped again.

T-This makes no sense! Explain yourselves!

She speaks…
We needed to come inside to change your cognition, but as long as you’re in there, it’s not going to work. Unless you come out, we can’t steal your heart.

I highly doubt she would understand it even if we explained it to her…

So basically, [cognition] [technobabble] [blah blah blah]

Huh? She understood it?

It’s almost like the game is losing patience with its own goddamn explanations of this poo poo!

Why do you know about that? Who are you?
……

Hey, why’d you give us the runaround, callin’ yourself Alibaba and all? It was kind of a headache… You shoulda just asked for help.

…was …rrassed.
Huh? M-My bad. I didn’t catch that.
*groan* …’Cause I was embarrassed.
I think I get it… Asking someone for help isn’t that easy…

How do you know about the cognitive world?
…Just ‘cause.
That reminds me… Didn’t Boss say something about “cognition” or something earlier?
When? Oh, you mean when that frightening-slash-attractive-slash-frighteningly-attractive lady came over and threatened him? I think I told you she was the one who mentioned cognitive whatsit, but either way, he knew something about it…

Perhaps her mother was researching this cognitive science that was mentioned?
“Cognitive psience,” with a PSI in front! Less science, more supernatural. That’s important.

Huh? That’s what she said, though…
Even I know that’s not how you spell that.

This beat probably makes a lot more sense in Japanese where the different reading is likely a different kanji that is pronounced differently, as opposed to here, where they’re homophones.

Cognitive psience, huh…? What was your mother working on?

……
Please tell us. What happened?
She’s not answering.
Yo, maybe save this for later. Seems like she’s been through some serious poo poo, so… you know?
True… She did say things like “die”…

We can’t leave without her opening the door, though. Hold on a moment, I want to try something.

Whoa, what the eff Ann!?
Wow, Ann, I had kind of assumed you were the emotionally intelligent one here. Mainly because the rest of us are all so bad at that, but still. Looks like I had you all wrong.
Shut up, you guys! Futaba, it was an accident, right? Tell us what really happened. Did she really have “maternity neurosis”, whatever the gently caress that means?
Ann, perhaps you should…

Music: Alleycat

Nothing we saw in your heart made any sense. The woman Boss described was nothing like your cognition of your mother. Please, tell us the truth in your own words.

…M-My mom… was… The… one who killed her… was… Nngh…
It’s possible that she can’t remember because her heart has become distorted.

Sorry, Futaba-chan… I’ve been through a lot myself, and… I… I’m sorry.

That’s not exactly how it works… but we did need you to open the door, so thank you.

Music: Wicked Plan

Despite knowing about the cognitive world, she doesn’t seem to know everything, like how a change of heart occurs…

Um, Futaba, how much do you know about the cognitive world?
I know that there’s another world based on cognition. But I don’t know how to get there. Can you guys go there? You said you “saw my heart” earlier.
Yes, that’s right.
How do you do it?
We use a smartphone app.
An app?
Yes. By entering the required information, we can go to the cognitive world.
A name, a place, and a distortion—those three. So in this case, “Futaba Sakura,” Sojiro Sakura’s house,” and—
Futaba, you don’t happen to have this app, do you?
Uh… N-Nope. Not at all…
Thank goodness… Okay then.
Can you take me with you too?

Sounds like a great idea. I’ll go tell Sojiro we got you murdered in another dimension. He’ll love that.
…Fine, I’ll stay here…

The Treasure’s not gonna appear if we don’t have her read this!

Hm? A calling card?
It’s the one you prepared. Read it.
…I can’t read it. It’s too dark.
You could just come out…
…It’s embarrassing.

Ugh… Man, I suck with kids… Just read it after we leave, then.

I’ll make sure she reads it, so you guys go on ahead.

This sin-ful error is still not fixed in this version, sadly.

Wait, they crossed that bit out and wrote, “Sorry, I mean wrath. Oops.”

…Thus, we will rob every last bit of those distorted desires. ……

Music: Life Will Change (Instrumental Version)

Futaba seemed totally up for gettin’ her heart stolen… What’s up with this?

Skull, the entire Palace was based on conflicting emotions and mental trauma causing her to push us away. This isn’t a normal case.
It doesn’t matter. We just have to steal the Treasure!
Hell yeah, let’s go! Nothing’s gonna stand in our way!

For this next boss fight, we’re actually going to take Skull out of our party and use Mona, Panther, and Fox, because the sphinx uses a Wind attack that I don’t want Skull to be on the receiving end of.

I mean after all the trouble we went through, she drat well better have read it!

Well yeah, Futaba-chan opened the door herself.
Anyway, the Treasure is up ahead! Let’s finish this!

Yup, this is the heart of a hacker all right. Anyways, where’s the Treasure?

There’s no knowing what may lie ahead, so let’s be vigilant as we push toward the Treasure.

As in vanilla, there’s a veritable gauntlet of enemies we need to pass by to reach the Treasure. However, this time we have a grappling hook.

We neatly bypass everything and land right next to the door.

What may await us within?
No matter what it is, we need to be ready for it!

We’re coming to save you, Futaba-chan!

Vocal input…?

If I say words, will it let me in? Name, place, distortion…

Fu—Fu—Futaba Sakura. …Sojiro Sakura’s house. And then… Something about “distortion”… Distortion… Distortion… Hm? Not again…

You killed her!
You’re a plague!

No more voices…

Murderer!
It’s all your fault!
You’re the one who killed her!

I’m sorry XxFutabaRulez69xX, but we’re kicking you out of the raid party. We’ve warned you about this before and we can no longer accommodate you saying “Let’s get that fuckin’ bread” before every pull.

That’s right… When they came here, I said this place was… my tomb…

…I can go in now?

Wait, why did I even want to do that?

No…

You killed her!
You’re a plague!
Murderer!
It’s all your fault!
You’re the one who killed her!

Beginning navigation.

The hell? This ain’t what I was imaginin’!
Were you imagining a mountain of treasure or something of that sort?
There IS that over there.
That’s it?
The Treasure must be inside.
All right, let’s take it!
Be careful.
T-Treasure…!

Music: Blood of Villain

There’s something here…
I got a bad feeling about this…

Video: Beast That Rules the Palace

Music: Blooming Villain

No… Then—
It’s not Futaba!

This is insane!

A monster that Futaba’s cognition created!

Here it comes!

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Cognitive Psience in Japanese is "ninchi kagaku," ninchi meaning cognition, and kagaku meaning science. The "psience" cones from the character "ka" in kagaku coming from "makafushigi," which means something to the effect of mystical.

So it's also a homophone, but one that makes a bit more sense with the way the language works.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Getting really sick of your poo poo, girl. Like, drat, you live like this?

Arist posted:

I’m sorry XxFutabaRulez69xX, but we’re kicking you out of the raid party. We’ve warned you about this before and we can no longer accommodate you saying “Let’s get that fuckin’ bread” before every pull.
:roflolmao:

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Always figured the game considered Futaba/Sloth and Cognitive Wakaba/Wrath to be different, hence the inconsistency in the card/name. Then I spent way too long trying to figure out if it's the same in the Japanese, but came up blank.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The issue is that both the trophies and the Will Seeds call it the "Wrath" Palace.

E: for the record, I don't believe the sin is named in the Japanese text, based on half-remembered notes from the original LP

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Arist posted:

The issue is that both the trophies and the Will Seeds call it the "Wrath" Palace.

E: for the record, I don't believe the sin is named in the Japanese text, based on half-remembered notes from the original LP

You just mention 'an unsourced reddit post' in the original LP on the specific point of whether it's in the game but yeah, can confirm it just has her reading off 'Futaba Sakura has committed a great sin' and then goes on with what the thieves will do. The person whose video I'm looking at notes that there's clearly more on the calling card than this (specifically, the two lines after the large letters) though it's tricky to make out between the random typefaces and white-on-grey.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
The thieves' den has all the calling cards in high res!

edit: higher res cause god drat some of those kanji are tiny

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 22, 2022

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, now that's interesting. That isn't actually the exact card in the final game -

everything after the comma on the top line is cut, which happens to be the 'drowning in sloth' part.

Indeed, the rest of the missing text is 'Not coming out of your room or meeting with other people, you live your life just lazing the day away unproductively'

Maybe they reconsidered at a late stage, or possibly they were going for what mycelia said but decided it was confusing to split like that.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly it checks out because sloth (in the sense of apathy and giving up on live) fits more with Futaba than wrath, although that could fit as well given her self-hatred at this stage. Maybe they changed it because they went with Sloth for the general populace?

That's the problem with using poorly defined categorirs, I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just want you guys to know that if it wasn't for the fact that there's no real way to keep my Personas consistent between runs, I'd absolutely restart the entire game and play through until this point on the PS5 version just for the improved frame rate.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Polsy posted:

Oh, now that's interesting. That isn't actually the exact card in the final game -

everything after the comma on the top line is cut, which happens to be the 'drowning in sloth' part.

Indeed, the rest of the missing text is 'Not coming out of your room or meeting with other people, you live your life just lazing the day away unproductively'

Maybe they reconsidered at a late stage, or possibly they were going for what mycelia said but decided it was confusing to split like that.

Jesus Ryuji, maybe not the best move to call someone with severe mental illness lazy and unproductive.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I just want you guys to know that if it wasn't for the fact that there's no real way to keep my Personas consistent between runs, I'd absolutely restart the entire game and play through until this point on the PS5 version just for the improved frame rate.

Well it would not be the last time we have some separate timeline going on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Jesus Ryuji, maybe not the best move to call someone with severe mental illness lazy and unproductive.

Ryuji is not exactly known for his tact.

comicfan92
Aug 30, 2018

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Wasn't it Makoto who wrote the lines?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

comicfan92 posted:

Wasn't it Makoto who wrote the lines?

Arist posted:

That was fast!

That was fast!

Yeah, I know!

I mean, I already wrote three of ‘em before this, remember?
But I came up with almost all of the sentences…

Yeah, that tracks for a cop.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Yeah, that tracks for a cop.

"Mental illness is a sin" - some cop probably

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Makoto is absolutely the kind of person to not realize she also has mental health issues and be judgey of similar issues in other people, yes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mental health issues can be fixed by calling them out in the cruelest way possible and then literally entering the patient's psyche and tearing out the bad bits.

ScarlettP
Oct 2, 2021

Arist posted:

Therefore, the only rational conclusion we can draw is that the localization team knew that Skull is not allowed to say “gently caress” and therefore proactively removed the word from this conversation in Royal because it’s voiced now. That’s goddamn hilarious.

This is exactly what happened. Max Mittelman, Robbie Daymond, and Ray Chase streamed themselves playing P5R and Max explained how his line was bowdlerized at the last second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAcTwNCwYk

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 94: 7/30: You A Foe

This update covers content from Part 79 of the original LP.

We’ve got no other option. Let’s take it down with our guns and skills!

As a reminder about this boss, we can’t hit it with Physical attacks or skills because it’s out of range, and magic attacks will barely make a dent in its massive health pool.

I mentioned it last time, but we didn’t bring Skull because of Wing Blast, which deals Wind damage.
Wing Blast also inflicts Dizzy, so Mona is a good choice for Me Patra. Also, Joker’s current Persona is Kurama Tengu, which reflects Wind, in case you’re wondering why the boss took damage here.

One thing Kurama Tengu gives us that we didn’t have in our vanilla version of this boss fight is access to Double Shot, a Gun skill. Just to remind you…

Physical and Gun damage is multiplied heavily against this boss, but in what honestly feels like kind of an oversight, we can hit it with Gun damage whenever we want if we have a Gun skill. This attack hits twice, by the way, so this is only half the damage. This part of the fight is meant to be drawn-out and unwinnable, but we could honestly tackle it with just Joker spamming this move.

Don’t tell me… Is it gonna dive attack us!?

We should definitely guard for safety.

This is the damage while guarding with Marakukaja up. poo poo does a ton of damage!

Making a small dent in the boss’ health before the cutscene. I doubt it carries over to the real fight, though, so it’s almost certainly pointless.

You can’t tell!? That’s not helping! You have to tell us, Mona!
I-I can’t help it! There are some things that even I can’t do!

Music: Disquiet

It’s a lot more… Bronze Age than I was expecting…

Huh!?

Music: Regret

Do you remember?

This is that suicide note that the men in black read… It said I was responsible for Mom’s—
Yeah, okay, that’s enough. You’re correct, fifty points to you. Don’t drag this out or we’re gonna be here all day.

What about this one?
…It’s when Mom jumped in front of that car… Why are you showing me this?
Correct again. And behind door number three:

Do you have a reason you’re reawakening all this trauma?
Just answer.
It’s mom scolding me for bothering her…
Yes…

I knew it. It was me who killed Mom. I was a bad daughter… I weighed her down, and she hated me for it… It’s just like I remember…

Just listen to me, you goddamn sad sack. You made up your mind to let the Phantom Thieves into your heart and to come here, but you keep running from the truth. Remember three seconds ago when I told you you were correct? I was lying. Well, about the first two pictures, at least. You really did throw a tantrum and get scolded. As for the rest… None of that is what really happened.
Huh?
Try harder to remember…
Well, a little before she died… I told her I was sick of eating convenience store bentos and that I wanted to go on a trip. She said no and I threw a tantrum, you said that really happened… and she scolded me…
What did she say?

…… Did she say…? “My research is almost over. Once it’s finished, we can go wherever you like. I’m sorry I’ve left you alone for so long, Futaba. Please try to understand though. This research is really important. I need to complete it, even if it costs me my life.”
Did she hate you?
She didn’t…?

Actually, you’re just imagining that. It’s a mural, it’s not alive. Duh.

Which is true?

Music: Desire

You’re not allowed to be in here! It’s against the rules! Probably!
I don’t know what’s about to happen, but it can’t be good…

It’s my fault… It’s my fault that Mom…

You killed me!

We already knew what she looked like! I just assumed we had all already put that together!

Futaba’s desires and guilt must’ve distorted her cognition of her. The wish that her mother was alive again is mixed in as well, along with those eerie jeers…

“Eerie Jeers” has both good and bad mouthfeel at the same time. It’s very strange.

You are nothing but a demon who stood in my way! I wish you had never been born! That way I could’ve announced my results without having to waste my time on you! I poured my heart and soul into that research! It would’ve been the discovery of the century!

I keep trying to insert parody dialogue in this scene but there’s legitimately nothing I could write that would be more melodramatic and over-the-top than what is currently coming out of Cognitive Wakaba’s mouth.

What does she mean by that?
Could she be talking about cognitive psience?

I know this is a demon born of bitter emotions and self-hatred and thus anything it says is inherently irrational, but it feels a bit premature for this version of this lady to be so convinced this discovery would rock the world.
How so? She was right, wasn’t she?
I mean, yeah, *we* know that, but any serious publication would laugh her out of the room. She discovered literal mind goblins.
That is true…
And now I’m curious how she actually discovered cognitive psience in the first place, considering that it doesn’t seem to have any basis in any kind of preexisting scientific field whatsoever. Like, it’s basically magic.
Maybe we’ll find out how she learned about the Metaverse eventually…
They wouldn’t.
Why do you guys do this every single time?

There’s no meaning to your life! No one needs you!
Nobody cares about me…

Wow, you were a terrible daughter. She must have had some kind of… uh… maternity neurosis from raising you. Whatever the hell that means…

N-Ngh…

FUTABA, MY SCOLIOSIS!

Ngh…!
Hey, we’re gonna be in deep poo poo if this keeps up!
So because she thinks she killed her mother… and because she thinks she deserves to die… Futaba gave birth to a Palace where her mother wants her dead?
Futaba-chan, look! There’s no way that monster is your mother! It’s just an illusion you created!
B-But…

She didn’t abuse you, right? Well, aside from a little neglect, but that’s never hurt anyone, right?

Isn’t this a false memory that’s been imprinted upon you?
A false memory? Aagh…

She had worked so hard on it as well… She lost her mind, and it’s all because of you…

Come on, man, I want to belittle and torment the child!
Nuh-uh, it’s my turn!

Christ, girl. We *just* did this! Listen close this time, because I’m not repeating this again.

…Is what they told you, at least.
But the note said…
The note’s fake, dipshit. The men in black suits who blamed you for it were the ones who read it, weren’t they?

Music: Swear to My Bones

…You’re right! Mom wouldn’t have written those things about me! And even if she did, wasting your suicide note whining about your daughter being needy is hosed up on, like, multiple levels!
We’re getting a bit off-track here, but yes, good.
That suicide note was a total lie!
They forged it and blamed you! Get angry! Go apeshit! Don’t forgive them!

Ah…

A curse put upon you by the heartless… You knew from the very beginning… And yet, you cowered in fear…

It’s all your fault! This time, you’ll be the one to die!
Will you die as you are told? Who will you obey? Cursed words spat out by a seething illusion? Or the truth within your own soul?

And I won’t be led astray by other’s voices either… I’m going to trust my own eyes and my own heart to distinguish the truth from the lies. There’s no way you’re my mom! You’re just a fake created by those horrid adults! I’ll… I’ll never…

Necronomicon, I choose you!

Video: Futaba’s Awakening

Huh!? Whoa?

I’m not going to comment on this and neither should you.

I’m okay!
Look at that!
Please, help me!

Hell yeah.

I could wait until Futaba gets properly inducted into the Phantom Thieves, but that feels wrong somehow. Here’s her cool new art.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 31, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

That suicide note was a total lie!
The cake is a lie!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 95: 7/30: The Wrath Of Mom

This update covers content from Part 80 of the original LP.

Video: Cognitive Wakaba Isshiki (Royal)

Music: Will Power

I’m gonna be honest with you all: this boss fight is a glorified cutscene in Royal. There’s basically nothing to it anymore.

The only thing you should be doing is obeying my orders!

…No, that’s not her.

Talking back to your own mother!? You’ve spent too much time with these no-good punks, haven’t you? I’ll crush them!

Don’t worry, I’ll take care of it!

This is my heart’s world, right? Hacking into my distortion should be no problem for me!

Grr… You goddamn brats!

Shoot it down with this, then beat the crap out of it!
Ahhh, I get it now! Let’s go!

We’re going to send Panther. It really doesn’t matter, though (but it’s best not to send Mona just for healing).

We’re only just taking control and it’s already about 1/4 dead.

I am your MOTHER! The one and only in this whole, awful world!

What!? Why won’t you admit it!? Why, why, whywhywhywhy…

That’s why I’ll live in the real world, even if she’s not there with me anymore! And I’m gonna live my life as free and happy as I can!
For a child to survive in your cruel world, they need a concerned mother figure—like me! Understand!?

I’m a… a fake!?

And I’ll never live a life where everything gets decided by someone else!

No you’re not!

Futaba, that response doesn’t make any sense.

Children that defy their mothers should… DIE!
Shut up! You’re not my mom! You’re just a monster born from my own weakness… Everyone, keep attacking it! Don’t let up!

Now that Wakaba is down, we use Physical attacks.

Did a good chunk of damage there. It should only take one more cycle.

Well, that was lucky.

You did this… You screwed up my life! All you did was get in the way of my research! I should’ve never had you!

No, that’s exactly what I’ve always thought! If Futaba wasn’t around, I—
That’s a lie. Mom told me herself! She said no matter what, she could keep working so hard because of me… The one who decided my existence was a burden on her—is myself! No one else!
No matter how much you struggle, you’ll never escape me! You’ll be tormented by your personal guilt FOREVER!

B-But, that’s impossible…

Row row, fight the power.

No you’re not!

Uhh, saying that again, are we? Whatever…

Let’s just send Panther again. This is almost over, anyway.

Oops, Mona’s down. This thing hits hard.

Time to finish this.

It doesn’t matter what you say! Futaba is MY property! Defying one’s mother is absolutely disgraceful!

If only I had never birthed you!

No matter what you say to me…

…I will live!

Fire!

Mona does not learn Wind Break, because that skill sucks.

Panther, on the other hand, learns Ambient Aid to replace Agi.

And that's gonna do it for this edition of P5R! I didn't realize when I planned it out how :effort: this one would be, so I apologize, but also, I'm very tired, please leave me alone

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 31, 2022

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Happy Halloween, Arist!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

That’s not what I meant. What is this? What are you doing? You were free!

Arist posted:

And that's gonna do it for this edition of P5R! I didn't realize when I planned it out how :effort: this one would be, so I apologize, but also, I'm very tired, please leave me alone

Take as much time as you need

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Please take care of yourself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That was a joke

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Take care of yourself anyways, god damnit. :colbert:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 96: 7/30-7/31: Futaba’s Crazy Coma

This update covers content from Part 80 of the original LP.

Futaba!

drat… these Personas are gettin' weird, man…

Huh, new duds. Skin-tight, too…
How are you just now noticing your clothes changed?
You did the same thing when your Persona awakened, you know…
Well, to be fair, there was a lot going on. Also, these big goggles didn’t appear until right this moment for some reason.

A ghost! Kill it!

Mom!?
Huh…?
Futaba. Thank you for choosing to remember the real me.
I’m sorry for being so selfish. Mom…

Futaba’s masked portraits are real fun for me because several of the poses look identical at this size due to the fact that you can’t see her eyes.

You’re not supposed to be here, Futaba. In fact, all of you should probably get out of here, this bitch is gonna come down any second.

But I finally got to see you again…
Are you being selfish again?

It’s selfish to miss my dead mom? Oh, whatever. Um… I love you, Mom…

I love you too, Futaba. Now, you should get going.

……

Well, that’s done. Smell ya later, doucheba—oh, right, the Medjed thing. *turns to leave*

Where are you going?
Home. I know how to use the Nav now.

She left…
That girl marches to the beat of her own drum, doesn’t she?
Like you’re one to talk.

It’ll be nice to have her on our side, though… Wait, the Treasure!

Oh yeah! We almost forgot.

Music: Run, Run, Run!

Uh, usually there’s a Treasure here!

Futaba herself was the Treasure! And she’s gone, so of course it’s empty!

How does that work!? I thought the entire point of this was that she didn’t value herself!
You still haven’t picked up that I’m only pretending to know what I’m talking about!?

Shoot… This is bad!
What’s the matter?

Futaba came into her own Palace, and awakened to a Persona to boot! This place has become incredibly unstable! It’ll collapse at any moment!
Sounds like a job well done to me! Let’s jet!

Video: Pyramid Escape

Music: The Collapse of Wrath

I know! I know! I—

And they all got completely obliterated instantly. The end.

Fuckin’ gross, dude. I wasn’t aware cats or cars could do whatever the gently caress this is to their… buttholes?

It’s incredibly clear to me that the whole “escape the crumbling Palace” thing was something they came up with for the cool animated scenes and then had no idea what to do with once those scenes were made and they had to restructure the game without wasting what they paid for. It’s so weirdly nothing.

Music: Break it Down

Everyone still breathing?
A giant shard of stone impaled me through the back, but I’ll walk it off.

OOF

Why are all of you out here and why are you sunburnt?
I’m sure at least one of us has a perfectly rational excuse for all of this…
Hey, where’s Futaba?
Huh!? What about Futaba?
Jesus christ, dude…

Ah, yes! We came all this way, so how about we enjoy some coffee?

That sounds like a good distraction! Let’s go inside, guys!
I’m not thirsty.

*punches Yusuke in the side*

OOF

Oh, I almost forgot! I have some business to take care of, so you guys go on ahead.
O-Okay, gotcha!

But I wanted some coffee…
You can have coffee later.
She probably won’t even be awake, everyone else we’ve done this to has gone dark for multiple week—oh, I see. Yeah, let’s go.

Futaba? Can you hear me? Please, say something!

Welp, we’ve killed her. Let’s just hide the body, I know a guy who might be able to help us out here.
She’s not dead!
Fine. I know someone *else* who might be able to help us. She lives right down the street, I’ll go get her.

Hmm… Yes… I can tell you that she’s definitely unconscious.
…Thank you, I suppose. We should probably just bite the bullet and call Boss.

……
……
……
Oh dear…
……
Um… About Futaba…
Hm? Why do you guys look so down?

Uh, probably because you just said “Oh dear…” in a serious tone of voice. The vibes are not good.

What, this? It happens every so often.

Huh?

Music: Break it Down

She must’ve used up all her energy. It’s like she ran out of batteries. I think it happens ‘cause she doesn’t get enough exercise.

That’s completely absurd and my emotions are in a state of total confusion right now.
Well… at least it’s nothing serious, I guess. How long does this usually last?
A few days or so.
Well, as long as it’s less than exactly three weeks, we should be good.
I’ll make sure she gets plenty of rest. Watch her for a minute while I go close the store.

It’s hard to describe how I feel right now…

Yeah, this is… real stupid.

I’m glad she’s okay… but what are we gonna do about Medjed?

She’s up!
Medjed… …… Tired. Gonna sleep for a bit.

She fell asleep again!?
Futaba-chan!

My life is a series of weak comedic setpieces.
We probably shouldn’t wake her up…

What to do…
It’s too late for us to find another hacker…
All we can do is wait for her to wake up…

AAAAAGH! MY ACTIVATION PHRASE!

Daytime → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask

Now we just gotta wait for Futaba to wake up…[/u]

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

Anon: they’re both poo poo.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Well, it’s more of a request than anything… If you don’t have any plans, could you come and see me?
I’m eating now. Maybe I should respond later…

Are you gonna head out once you’re done eating?

We should finish our food and then head out.

Can the cat breathe in that bag?

Early Morning → Daytime

The Phantom Thieves, however, have gained popularity on the internet as “allies of justice.” Support for them is growing, with some saying they are the only ones who can defeat Medjed. The world will be watching what the Phantom Thieves do before the deadline on August 21st.
Everyone’s counting on us. We can’t let them down.

Music: Butterfly Kiss

I don’t want you collapsing when you take my medicine.

Today, we’re going to spend time with Takemi to unlock her Mementos request.

Oh, while I’m here, sorry about summoning you out of the blue like that yesterday. I thought it was something serious, but it was just a light coma. Nothing to worry about.
You should probably still be a *bit* worried, you know…

So, what are you here for today?

Sorry, I’m going to pass on it today.

What? But you *just said* I should stay hydrated because… Oh, whatever.

……
Takemi is depressed…

Since this might be the last time…

Come in.

Death Rank 7.5: Part 83

I’m thinking of resigning.

Music: Confession/Secret

Gasp!
It seems that Oyamada has been pressuring my suppliers to stop doing business with me. At this rate, I won’t be able to treat any patients, much less complete the medicine. Seems like it’s over.

>You okay with this?
It’s fine.

I confirmed what Oyamada said about Miwa-chan with the hospital… He was telling the truth. That is, unless they’re deceiving me too, but that would be pointlessly cruel, wouldn’t it? Smiling to the very end, they said… I wanted to cure her… I wanted to help all of them… You know, I decided to become a doctor because I was sickly when I was young, too. I couldn’t even go to school. Medicine was the only reason I survived. I wanted to save others the way I was saved… But this is the end of the line. It’s a business, and Oyamada’s shutting me out of it. I’ve got no allies left…
You’ve got one right in front of you.
That’s not really what I meant, kid… But thanks anyway. Because of you, I got to feel like a real doctor again.
What about your patients?
They have plenty of options for other doctors. It’s frustrating, but that’s it for me.

I can’t do clinical trials anymore, so you can go home. Thanks again for all your help. And good luck on those entrance exams.

What? Oh, right. Yes. Entrance exams.

…… Is there anything I can do for Takemi…? ……

Bye…

What’s Oyamada’s first name?

You mean Oyamada? Why? I hope you’re not planning to get revenge for me.

Revenge? Well, it’s generally more like *pre*-venge, heh. Uh, I mean… no?
…… Whatever. I can tell you’ve already decided on this and it’s not like he’s that hard to find. Just be careful. Make it something that can’t be traced back to you *or* me.
Way ahead of you there. Don’t worry, I’m not going to do anything as juvenile as pissing in his gas tank. I’m going to aim a bit higher than that.
Higher than the gas tank…? What, are you going to piss through his sunroof?

…You’re such a weird kid. His full name is Shoichi Oyamada. He’s a very influential Chief of Staff in the world of medicine… Is that all?
I need to do something about the target for Takemi…

…Okay, take care.

Daytime → Evening

Anon: history’s written by the victor
Anon: yeah yeah, it’s all a setup
Anon: justice this, justice that…
Anon: medjed’s here loooool

Medjed hasn’t taken any action either…
I heard some company’s private data got leaked or something.
Did Medjed do that?
Are the Phantom Thieves sitting on their hands? Do something!

You better not keep us waiting long! We’re waiting in front of our door!

Unfortunately, doing Caroline and Justine’s outings is extremely annoying because it fucks with my schedule. The rewards are generally skill cards useful for completing their requests, but I have the internet, so I don’t really need them. Maybe another time, girls.

>It’s a coma, Ryuji. How much longer could it last? Three days?
Let’s all just calm down and wait, okay?

Yes. Let us drink some tea and calm our minds. Oh, some rice crackers with the tea would be lovely as well.
What?
I am most certainly in the mood
Anyway, we should wait a little longer for Futaba to wake up.
for something salty today.

Really enjoy the few moments of realistic texting habits in this game, such as here, when Yusuke accidentally breaks up a message into two texts like Daru just turned on the PhoneWave (Name subject to change).

I understand why you guys feel nervous, but we’ll just have to wait for now.

We’re not actually going to head into the jazz club today for Masukukaja of all things, but I’m hopefully going to make a habit of showing off what the Sunday special is even if I don’t partake. We’re still trying to finish Yoshida’s Confidant quickly so we can spend our free Sundays at the jazz club in the future.

Another Sunday thing that I unfortunately completely forgot about this week: aojiru! I could have rerecorded this, but I didn’t realize I had missed it until a full in-game week had passed. That was only about 100 minutes of footage, honestly, so I could have just redone it… but I really didn’t want to, especially at this point! We’re honestly pretty close to being done with social stats considering that all but one of our parameters is at Rank 4, and being one week behind on a weekly +1 boost isn’t going to kill us. The only gates we’re liable to hit any time soon are Charm 5 for Makoto Rank 6 and Kindness 4 for Futaba Rank 2, but we’re already almost at the latter threshold. Kindness 5 for Sojiro Rank 7 will be a bigger concern, but we’ve got plenty of time before that becomes an issue.

People are being so rude to Yoshida :(

It is imperative that we resolve this situation, and social reform must be led by the government. However, who can the people currently depend on…? Yes, the Phantom Thieves! The fact that they’re being lionized is proof that the government is malfunctioning! The mismanagement by authority figures is what has led us to this terrible condition…

Hell yeah.

What kind of friends do you spend your time with? You can withstand difficult times if you have friends who support you through them.

I’m sure I don’t have to remind you about what this concerns… How’s your availability?

Thanks for your concern. A speech about the Phantom Thieves… There are some things I want you to hear, so please come and listen to it.

Sun Rank 9: Part 101

Thank you. I appreciate it, but…

You’re not going to become my right-hand man, huh? Don’t worry. As much as it would be nice to have you as my tag-team partner, I’m not going to interfere. Feel free to talk about being falsely accused. I’ll handle the fallout. And by the way, I saw Kuramoto’s grandson around somewhere. He might be curious about what you say tonight.

I haven’t spoken to him since we last met.
This speech should serve as your response to him.
(Man’s Voice) I didn’t think any of the parties would back No-Good Tora.
(Another Man’s Voice) He’s going to talk about the Phantom Thieves, right?
I couldn’t care less about him. I’m just interested in hearing about the Phantom Thieves.

Knock ‘em dead.

Will do.

What are you doing, Toranosuke…?
Setting aside whether their actions are right or wrong… There is one thing I can safely say about the Phantom Thieves. A belief with conviction… has the ability to move a person’s heart.

Music: Sunset Bridge

I’m sure you are all aware that I am “No-Good Tora,” the one accused of embezzlement. I was a fool twenty years ago. It’s no wonder that I was considered a failure as a politician.

Impossible! He’s going off-script! This is a forbidden technique!

However, because I was accused like that, I was able to understand the suffering of the weak.

Toranosuke, this isn’t…!

Why am I in politics? In the past, it was merely for personal gain. But why do the Phantom Thieves continue to change hearts? I believe they do it for the world and its people. And in choosing to do justice for others, they had no choice but to disguise themselves. No matter what the world says, I fully support them.

Tora…

I’m just an average citizen. However, I will continue to voice my beliefs. I may not be able to become a Diet member this election… And I may not be able to affect change during my lifetime…

……

But I’ve made my peace with that. I will be happy, as long as I can be a meaningful stepping stone for the future of our youth!

That was… kinda sad.
But… weirdly hopeful?
I don’t like it! I came here to laugh at a has-been! Don’t foist these complicated emotions onto me! Blood! I crave blood!

Thank you for listening.

You had your opponent dead to rights, but you quit before the pin! You’re not going to accuse Kuramoto?

That’s right.
Sheesh… such a heartfelt speech for someone your age. People are probably laughing at you as we speak. I doubt any of them were moved by your words. …I might be the only one in this entire city who was.
Matsushita…

Continue with your candidacy. Do whatever you want. I’ll use what little power I’ve got to make sure you have the party’s support. Goodbye, Toranosuke.

I was mad at you for a bit in the middle there.
Oh…?
Suffering in silence and letting people hate and mock you for no reason isn’t “noble,” it’s just… stupid.
I understand why you’d say that.
But that stuff you said at the end got me. You’re trying to engineer a better future, but you see yourself as the least important piece in that machine. As long as it gets done, as long as your words reached someone, it doesn’t need to have been you. I feel like I finally understand you now.
Hamiru…
gently caress the rest of ‘em. I doubt any of the people who showed up to hear about the Phantom Thieves would have cared if you’d accused Kuramoto anyway.
The Phantom Thieves, huh…
*sweating* What about them?
Perhaps you yourself have changed my heart…
I don’t remember doing that, no. Er, I mean…
A little joke, heh.

The Phantom Thieves… I don’t possess a special power like they do, but I won’t lose to them when it comes to conviction. Speech is my only weapon. Just my voice and my words. That’s how I win people over.

It worked on me, if nothing else.

Thank you for sticking by my side, Hamiru-kun.
I feel like my bond with Yoshida is growing deeper…

If he’s a member of the Phantom Thieves, then…

Hm? What was that?

Ah, I’m talking to myself again. Another bad habit of mine. Time to finish up for today. …Good job.

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

Your house manages to be cool despite this heat. There’s a book I want to read, and should something happen, I would be ready in case we must assemble. If it works with your schedule, we could hang out. Don’t worry if you already have plans. I’ll be stopping by either way. Until then, good day.

*yawn* I’m going to bed...