Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think Abby Trott sounds significantly better. She sounds more like an actual person to me than the prior artificial-sounding deep voice. The old VA sounded like she was in her 30s or 40s, whereas I think Abby sounds late 20s or so, which fits a lot more.

Part of it is just that they seem to be having Trott inflect less, I guess? Her voice is doing less interesting variation in pitch, it's really strange. I can't compare the performances for this scene and the original game though because the original scene wasn't actually voiced, but maybe I'll do something when we do her Rank 1 to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I really like Abby's voice and she voices my favorite character in Three Houses. I definitely didn't mind her voicing Takemi and honestly prefer it tbh. Though it might be because I haven't played the original P5 since I beat it when it came out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm probably overstating my distaste. I don't dislike the performance, I just kinda preferred the old one.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Trott's performance is good, but she just has the unfortunate luck to take over a role where the previous voice was pretty much perfect for it.

Also fun fact, Abby Trott's the singer for Lifelight, the theme song for Smash Ultimate.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Personally I did use the DLC Persona, but only specifically in the context of when I could fuse them (because they do all have fusion recipes, even if some are weird as hell). Also they've got some cool/fun/interesting animations and unique abilities.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh, yeah, we'll probably use at least one of them (you probably know which one) by the very end, but we're not going to summon them from the Compendium for free 70 levels in advance, that's just stupid.

ChaosArgate posted:

Also fun fact, Abby Trott's the singer for Lifelight, the theme song for Smash Ultimate.

I totally forgot this, she's great there.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I waited until I could fuse Kaguya, the lowest level DLC Persona, to summon the free one you get, and she ended up lasting me the whole game. Turns out a Magic Hassou Tobi is freakin' broken, who'd have thought.

I did buy the Royal-specific DLC Personas, mostly because I'm desperate for any amount of P3P FeMC recognition at all, and I don't think I regret it.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I think I got my money's worth from the Persona DLC pack when I heard Xander Mobus try to say "Izanagi-no-Okami Picaro" within a second.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, I tended towards the Picaro versions when I could. Fusing them over the non-Picaro DLC Persona. Also I know exactly which DLC Persona you're talking about Arist and it's a drat shame he got relegated to DLC all things considered.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I suppose the DLC persona are there to help people who got the original version get through the game quicker to reach the new content.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I’ll lecture you about the infiltration tools over time. By the way, the power you used in the Palace was seriously amazing. The stronger that power gets, the more reliable it’ll be as a trump card. All right, I’m gonna stick with you wherever you go from today on.

This game has more acknowledgement and reaction to the wild card compared to a couple of the previous games where either the cast had no reaction or just one line about it.

Arist posted:

And if you become acquainted with capable people, you might learn various useful skills too… This is all part of our deal, got it? I expect great thigns from you. Don’t let me down, okay?

I wish Morgana also expected great thigns from me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think Tae's new voice works a lot better for the back half of her confidant, where Abbot sells a lot better how guilty and hopelessly driven into a corner she feels over thinking she's killed a patient. But yeah up front she's definitely supposed to come off as shady and maybe even a touch dangerous, and the old VA carried that portion much better. Give and take :shrug:

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think I got my money's worth from the Persona DLC pack when I heard Xander Mobus try to say "Izanagi-no-Okami Picaro" within a second.

:hmmyes:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 13: 4/18: Word Around Town (New)

This update covers Parts 11 and 12 of the original LP.

Early Morning

Music: Disquiet

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Hamiru-kun. A word with you, please?

poo poo, I’m in trouble…? Wait, I’m getting expelled anyway! Nothing matters! Punishment is fake!

Music: Suspicion

It won’t take long.

Oh poo poo! Ambushed by a wild Kamoshida!

Thank you again.
Oh, you know this guy, Yoshizawa?

Don’t mention it, Student Called Yoshizawa.

I recommend you steer clear of the likes of him if you have any consideration for your future. Remember the discussion we just had? There are a number of students in this school you shouldn’t get involved with… This one’s at the top of the list.
Oh, the delinquent transfer student…?

Hey, uncool! I’ve only missed half a day of school so far! That’s only 7% of the total amount of school days since I transferred!

Sorry to interrupt, but I need to use the guidance office.
Oh, pardon me. We should be going too—don’t want to get in the way of guiding this delinquent and all.

Well, at least she’s still cordial to us.

Well there was that little exchange just now, but that’s not all… He gave me a brief lecture this morning, and your name came up. Something about the dangers of a lack of supervision… *sigh* I don’t mean to pry, but… Just make sure you don’t go causing trouble, okay?

I might be totally misreading this but there’s some pretty great, funny characterization here that Kawakami doesn’t seem to be totally on the same level as Shujin’s largely awful faculty as a whole. She doesn’t know what Kamoshida’s doing (which should probably be more important to her character, but I digress), but just from this blatantly token effort at lecturing us she seems to understand that he’s kind of a blowhard who isn’t above siccing her on her students. That or she just doesn’t want the trouble that would come with trying to reprimand us. Either/or.

Oh, and one more thing.

Buh???

Maaku just keeps digging his hole.

All that said, Kawakami still doesn’t trust us. Which, yeah, fair.

Mr. Kamoshida has a real close eye on you… Apparently, you’ve been getting involved with Sakamoto-kun. You seem acquainted with Yoshizawa-san as well. ...Maybe you’re just naturally drawn to athletes?

...What?

Sorry, bad joke. That’s all I wanted to discuss. You’re free to go.

Early Morning → Morning

He was just standing there looking at me with this poo poo-eating grin on his face.

Can’t wait to teach him a lesson. The board meeting’s on May 2nd, so let’s take him down before then!
I’ll do my best too! Let’s get that bastard!

Morning → After School

Those guys are getting expelled…
Nobody wants a troublemaker in school…
Everyone’s got high hopes for the new girl, Yoshizawa-chan.
drat, she’s fine. I wonder if I have a shot with her…

Music: Tokyo Emergency

I bet the others are ready to go any waiting on the signal. Well, I’ll leave the planning to you.

The Activity Log returns, allowing us to see what other people did during their free time, but this time there’s a bit extra…

So, here we can see the full range of our suggestions. We can go check the network Activity Log as usual, or we can look at suggestions for Confidants or stat boost opportunities. These, sadly, are not always terribly useful (I remember on my main playthrough seeing a lot of suggestions to go train at the gym, for instance, because whatever algorithm generates these suggestions is utterly inscrutable to me), but it’s nifty anyway.

Our Confidant suggestion is to start Takemi’s.

Our social stat suggestion is to do some studying. We’ll check out where we can do that in a bit.

And here’s the activity log, for good measure.

We still can’t get any further in Ann’s Confidant until May. We’ll need Kindness Rank 2. But right now, we’re returning to an old LP staple: Mothafuckin’ eavesdropping!

It sounds like Hamiru-kun, Mishima-kun, and that delinquent Sakamoto are all getting expelled.
(Calm Student) First that suicide attempt, and now explusion trouble… What the heck’s going on?
Everything’s gone crazy since the transfer student got here. Why’d he go up against Mr. Kamoshida!?

What am I gonna do…? I’ m done for if Mr. Kamoshida keeps coming after me…

But man, she’s really cute… If she were my girlfriend, I’d brag about it all the time.
(Lighthearted Student) Forget it, dumbass. Besides, dating her would be too much trouble. She kind of gives off a bad vibe, and all the girls ignore her. And she’s Kamoshida’s girl, remember?

(Foodie Girl) If that’s the case, why don’t you try this body oil called Recover Oil? You can find it at the cosmetics shop in the underground mall of Shibuya Station.
Body oil? Huh. I guess I’ll give it a try next time…
Whoa, body oil that can relieve exhaustion? That sounds pretty amazing, wouldn’t you agree? These two always seem to talk about foods and fads. It might pay off to listen in on them often.

Yes?

(Cruel Volleyball Player) I don’t know what you said to him, but the volleyball team is the lifeblood of Shujin. We’ve come to accept that. Don’t butt into something you have no concept of.
It’s too late now though… Kamoshida’s pissed, so you’re totally done for.

Don’t you know anything? She’s all everyone at Shujin Academy is talking about this year.

Really? In my experience they’re mostly talking about me getting expelled. Uh, wait, that’s off the record.

She was admitted as an honor student because she’s a gymnastics medal contender. Not only are her gymnastics skills incredible, but she’s also polite and beautiful. So far, she’s only gotten positive attention—unlike a certain someone.

Hey! ...Actually, fair.

(Glib Male Student) Maybe you’re just really tired? Don’t go fainting on me all of a sudden, all right?
Oh, are you talking about those psychotic breakdowns? It’s nothing that crazy. Maybe I’m just tired.
Hey, you might feel better if you eat something. Let’s stop by Big Bang Burger on Central Street.

*giggle* I’ll post online and everyone will know what me and Ikesugi-kun share… *giggle* I’ll tell them, “He seemed a bit tired… so I massaged his shoulders for him. ☆” *giggle*

There’s good ol’ Yumeko, still up to her usual tricks.

(Anxious Student) I see them injured a lot… Do they really get that hurt from practice…?
I heard that Suzui girl had a bruise on her face too. As if someone had punched her…
I feel like everyone’s been avoiding the topic… I’m kind of scared…

(Motivated First-Year) Isn’t it because of Yoshizawa-san? Everyone’s talking about her and her honor student status. And she’s super cute. Why wouldn’t she stand out?
Yeah. I guess looks are the most important part of a person.

What the gently caress!

Takamaki-senpai is pretty too, but maybe I can imitate Yoshizawa-san and make my high school debut!

You’re already in high school, though. Isn’t the “debut” something you initiate before classes start?

(Senior Volleyball Player) Maybe Sakamoto blackmailed him or something. I heard that transfer student is pretty shady too…
I hope they don’t come after us… Kamoshida told us to do it…
Hey, don’t say stuff like that. We don’t know anything, okay?

(Bothered Student) Well, the rally was all rigged, but no one stood a chance against Kamoshida, anyway,

No Yakisoba Pan today… Still only on Fridays.

(Lazy Male Student) Yeah! And I heard she’s cute! Cute and talented, that’s just not fair! Gurghh, I want to be her friend!
(Refined Male Student) Gifted and beautiful, huh? School is starting to get interesting.

Oh poo poo, it’s Kamoshida, act natural.

I can’t believe you can come to school all calm like that. Unless you’re scheming something…?

Don’t give me that cheek! You’re really pushing your luck, you know that? Well, I guess it’s fine. Nothing you do is going to matter anyway. I suggest you try and enjoy the time before your expulsion. Now get lost. I’m not going to waste my time dealing with you.

(Female Student in a Jersey) Yeah. If you’ve got the looks, and the potential to win a medal, you’re basically guaranteed to be popular! If we can become friends with her, maybe we can boast about it? Like, she got where she was thanks to us, or something?
Hahaha… Joking aside, I would like to make friends with a fellow athlete.

(Kind Faculty Member) Wh-Whoa, hey! Keep it down! If Mr. Kamoshida hears you…
Hahaha, what, you’ll get expelled too, Sensei? Then you won’t have to come to school anymore!

It’s Starry-Eyed Student, guys!

Ugh, weren’t you listening? I don’t think you get how important heroes are at all. The people always yearn for a hero, someone to cast away the world’s darkness and save them. If that’s what people need, then I have to do it. I’ll be that hero. I’m the only one who can!

You really understand! If heroes needed cheerleaders, you’d be a perfect fit for that! The people always yearn for a hero, someone to cast away the world’s darkness and save them. If that’s what people need, then I have to do it. I’ll be that hero. I’m the only one who can!

(Intense Soccer Player) Oh, the one who does gymnastics… That was surprising. I thought she would join the volleyball team. Maybe more attention will be put on other clubs from this…

Glad Yoshizawa’s not gonna end up on the volleyball team, urgh.

Wait, wait, that’s not the point! I heard she’s super cute!
Fool! If you have time to pursue women, then go running!

(Worried Volleyball Player) Kamoshida did not take that well. That new guy really shouldn’t be doing things like that… After the thing with Suzui-san, I won’t be able to take it if he makes practice even harder…
I heard that transfer student’s getting expelled for it though. That’ll be the end of that, right?

(Bossy Student Athlete) You hang out with Sakamoto, right? There’s something I want you to tell him for me. “You got what you deserve.” You guys getting kicked out of school is good news to me.

Rude.

The track and field guys’ll be glad Sakamoto’s gone too. It’s all his fault they got shut down.

You’re only allowed to borrow one book at a time. Once you finish, please be sure to retur—Huh? That badge… Are you a second-year? …Oh, could you be that transfer student I keep hearing about!?

I knew it… Um… I don’t mean to be rude, but maybe you shouldn’t come here… See, you’re scaring the other students too… Oh… No, I didn’t mean that you can’t use the library, but…
You’re not welcomed anywhere you go… I guess there’s nothing we can do about it.

Check out that study corner. Looks like you can raise your Knowledge and Guts here…

We borrow Pirate Legend.

Hey! Hey, Makoto! It’s me, the transfer student! Hi!

Is she reading all those huge, complex books to study for college exams? That’s really intimidating.
(Book-Loving Male Student) She borrowed a sci-fi book the other day though. Maybe we have something in common.
Oh, I’m sure, but she’d never talk to people like us. She’s too driven and serious. That’s why she’s always getting top grades. I can see why the principal put so much hope in her.

Or maybe Kamoshida should just use you for the ball.
(Chubby Male Student) Why would you say that…
Don’t be so uptight. Learn to take a joke.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

(Aggressive Reporter) I don’t know, and I don’t care. Now, what’re we supposed to be doing here?
The director said we need to increase our ratings by capturing interesting “snapshots” of life!
Okay. Then just keep that camera running and get everything on film…

It’s all digital these days, ma’am.

...The audience will eat up whatever we decide to feed them.

They are the result of an intricate web of conspiracy, designed by YOUR government.
(Man with Clear Eyes) You can’t trust a government that deceives its citizens! Don’t give in to their fear-driven control!
The only one who can save you from this terrifying power is the supreme being: the “Sun God”!

If you’re interested, I’d love for you to come. I want young people like yourself to hear it.
A speech highlights a person’s ability to attract others. What’s your take on this guy? I sense experience emanating from him, so he may be good at it… If that’s the case, we should go. But… it’s at night, so we won’t be able to attend without the chief’s approval.

I’d love to, Tora, but Sojiro would literally kill me if I snuck out to engage in the political machine. Maybe if I convinced him I was sneaking out to get some action instead…

(Young-Looking Woman) Be careful. I hear stress can lead to all sorts of bad things nowadays…
Yeah, like those train accidents, right…? Those people collapsed all of a sudden and that was it…
Stress isn’t good for wrinkles, either. You need to soothe your heart to smooth your skin.

You’re young, so let me give you some advice. Make sure you don’t fall over to this side of life. I don’t mean to scare you, but anyone can end up like this if they’re not being careful.

This is a far cry from the homeless people in the Yakuza series, who are mostly just dudes who got sick of working or whatever and now just spend their time conning Kiryu into buying them booze whenever he needs information on the latest real estate scam.

We’re going to apply to this job at the convenience store Triple Seven. Unlike in the original game, it serves a bit more of a purpose because now it gives us Charm instead of no social stat increase at all.

What a horrible day and age we live in… I only ask that he keeps my husband safe, too.
Ohoho, he’ll be fine working under my hubbers—so long as he pulls his weight. Can’t have any slackers holding him back. Ohoho…

I’ve never heard “hubbers” used before, eughhh.

(Easygoing Shujin Girl) Meh, this is enough for me. Smartphones are complicated and seem really expensive…
You’ll be left behind in the world like that. By the way, didn’t Shujin get some horrible transfer student?

That news made it all the way to Kosei!? drat…

Yeah, I heard he’s violent, with a criminal record… I’m surprised you know so much about my school.

In the Underground Mall, there’s now a sports store where the CD shop was in the original. We don’t need anything here though… yet.

What we do need are some Bio Nutrients so we can feed our plant later once we discover we even have one.

They’re sneaking around, making phone calls, but they’re wearing suits. Maybe they’re detectives? I just can’t bring myself to go to that shop as much anymore.

Hm? What’s this sign in front of the diner? Can’t we study here?

Yep, no diner until May! I’m kind of convinced they made this change largely just to gently caress with the instincts of returning players, considering how vital the diner was to raising your social stats in the original, especially in the earlygame. It’s honestly really interesting to me that they did this, because now you’re forced largely into less efficient activities in the interim.

Oh, I’m sure someone will show up to handle things. :v:

(Kind Old Woman) All these strange, inexplicable incidents are happening, too. So much gloomy news these days… I wish everyone could just be cheerful and upbeat. You know, the way it used to be.

Welp, Grandma’s a centrist! :guillotine:

That’ll never happen. No matter what we do, people treat us old folks like we’re just in the way.

(DJ) Next up on our list of top nostalgic songs is “Love Thief.”
That reminds me of the good old days… The world was a bit of a better place back then, you know.

Fiiiiiine.

(Gentle-Looking Mother) You shouldn’t pull him. He’s an old dog, remember? Let him rest, and then we can head back home before it gets dark.
Okaaay. I’m sorry for pulling you, Kotaro.

I really hate that I know how this ends… :smith:

Thanks to that, I made it through my important meeting. My company’s future was riding on that meeting! What a relief. But it’s strange. It was such a severe cold… How did I fully recover in only a day? Just what kind of medicine did I take…

Music: Butterfly Kiss

We’re going to do the same thing we did this day in the original game and start Takemi’s Confidant.

…All right, kid from Leblanc. Head into the examination room.

Music: Suspicion

Actually, never mind, I know exactly which one. You’re bad at hiding. You want to know the truth about that medicine? I’m disposing of it. I got carried away with it. But why would a high schooler want to know about it in the first place? You’re clearly not even an athlete.
Dude said it would give you *unlimited power*. That’s some Dragonball Z nonsense, but even if he oversold it I could use something like that. Uh, for my exams, of course. Big brain time.
For your exams? That’s, ironically, the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. Well, whatever.

You can go now.
Please… I need it… I can only get so far without knowing how to read…

…… You’re really annoying, you know that?

The medicine isn’t cheap. You can’t afford it.
I’ll work it off.
Ugh… No, wait… How is your stamina? You might actually be able to help me after all. I’ve been looking for someone around your age to provide… assistance. I even put out an ad for help, but no takers… You still want to try out?
How does it pay? Is there dental?

Let’s just say that it’ll be worth it.

Oh, so I’m not getting paid, got it.

Okay then. You’ll be participating in clinical trials for my medicine.

I know nothing about this process but this still seems highly irregular!

...Worried about the side effects, huh? Well, you can relax. Rest assured, my autopsy is guaranteed to find out exactly what part of it killed you.

What, aren’t you going to take it? The exit’s right there if you want to leave.

…… I need to drink this so Takemi will sell me the medicine, even though she clearly doesn’t want to sell it to me and is trying to scare me off…

Well? Go on.

It’s for my exaaaaaaaaaaaaams!

I can’t believe you actually drank it…

It tastes like a gym sock doused in cleaning fluid…
Uhh… Well… Wasn’t expecting that… Not bad, I guess?

Who do I know that can get rid of a body?

Okay, this part of the Confidant event is considered her “unlock” scene and is thus voiced like all Rank 1 and Rank MAX events are. To compare between the original and new voice acting for this scene, I put together a little video. I still think Potter really sells the shadiness this character is supposed to have at the beginning much better, but Trott does a fine job in her own right.

Do you… remember anything? After taking the medicine, I mean.

Guess that’s a no. Basically: You woke up, but you were completely out of it for my entire examination until you fell back asleep. But, wow! I can’t believe you actually drank that, you dipshit!
Exams. Need. My. For. It. I.
Whatever. You only passed out because of the taste, by the way. The medicine mixed with your gastric acid and started stinking up your insides, like surströmming.
That still seems bad for me. Should I see a doctor? A different one?

Oh well. All that matters is that thanks to you, I was able to get some good data. Okay, it’s my turn to make good on my part of the deal. That’s why I waited until you woke up.

I don’t want the general public finding out about the original medicines I’m making here. So don’t squeal, got it?
Yeah, sure.

Then it’s a deal. As long as you come here for it, I’ll give you the medicine at a good price whenever you want. I may even add additional selections, in time. ...I look forward to your continued patronage.

Music: Interrogation Room

Who is your primary care physician!? Who put band-aids on your boo-boos and kissed them better!?
Sae. Really. I know I’m not supposed to be squealing here, but it feels like, just from what you already know about where I live and the immediate area around it, you should be able to solve this riddle.

Music: The Spirit

Oh god, there’s more!?

Oh, you don’t remember that part, either? Well, I was saying that teenage test subjects are quite valuable in the medical research industry.

That sounds… vaguely suspicious!

So I’ll provide you the medicine for your entrance exams, and in exchange you’ll be my guinea pig.

If you’re able to move now, you can go home. All right, take care.
I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts

Maaku gains Guts +1.

And I’ll put together some compensation by then, for all your efforts today. But you’re not getting that in writing.

This scene is something new added in Royal. Following most Confidant events, you’ll now have an additional talk with your Confidant. These are rather small and inessential, and just add some texture to the stories that are already there, but they’re still nice to see. They even give additional points toward the next rank up for some of the dialogue choices in these scenes!

Based on today’s results, I think I can whip up some new medicine for next time. Drop by when you’re ready for it.

You live close by, right? Try not to collapse on your way home, okay? I’m not really in the mood to write up an autopsy. So take care of yourself.

Arist fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 14, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Two quick notes: First, here's the video I made comparing the Takemi performances, in case you missed it in the update. I figured since we talked about it in depth I should actually show what I'm talking about for anyone who hasn't heard the new voice. Second, the Takemi additional post-Confidant scene has left me with some options in terms of labeling new stuff. My current thought is to label post-Confidant scenes as new within the update and transcribe them word-for-word, but unless the update contains more involved new content not to label it in the update header as "New," if that makes sense. If people want me to always label those as new in the headers, or have a different suggestion there, just let me know.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I laughed at Kawakami's athletes joke. It really gave me "How do I reach this kid?" Vibes.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Arist posted:

Yep, no diner until May! I’m kind of convinced they made this change largely just to gently caress with the instincts of returning players, considering how vital the diner was to raising your social stats in the original, especially in the earlygame. It’s honestly really interesting to me that they did this, because now you’re forced largely into less efficient activities in the interim.

Have to admit it did force me to actually stop and look around at what else Royal had changed instead of settling into a standard groove.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think it makes sense not to label it as new, since most of the post-Confidant 'scenes' are just a phone call and a couple lines. As long as you don't underline them people will recognize it as non-transcribed.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
It also seems like a dickmove to make Anns Batonpass go to rank 2, even if thats what everyone else has.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

DeafNote posted:

It also seems like a dickmove to make Anns Batonpass go to rank 2, even if thats what everyone else has.

It was even more of a dick move for Haru in the original, because her rank 2 was locked behind a max proficiency check. So if you’re like me and didn’t know what you were doing on your first play through, she didn’t have Baton Pass until the final dungeon.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I feel like Royal has dozens of small small changes that add up to make the game so much better to play.

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 21, 2020

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
S'true. I wondered if I'd even bother, knowing the main story, but it was actually enjoyable... mostly.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 14: 4/18-4/20: Bathroom Thoughts

This update covers Part 12 of the original LP (and a teensy bit of Part 13 but whatever).

Evening

You make just one mistake and your life’s over. Instead of hanging around, you should be studying or something. If there aren’t any customers, you can use the shop.

...You don’t need to thank me. I’m just telling you to stay out of trouble. If you’re gonna study, you can use that table. Just don’t leave the place covered in eraser crumbs, all right? Oh, that’s right… One of my customers mentioned that the counter’s a pretty comfortable place to read. Well, your time’s yours to spend. Just make sure it’s after my customers are gone. Or hey, if you wanna clean the shop, I’m not gonna turn you down. The cleaning stuff’s in the bathroom.

So, that little bit was (mostly) new, covering some of the options we have now in Leblanc. We still can’t go out into Yongen proper at night, so we can only spend time inside Leblanc for now.

We can study at the table or read at the counter. That’s nothing new. But, we can also now clean Leblanc to increase our Kindess.

Finally, we can do a crossword to gain Knowledge, and unlike in the original game, this no longer spends time, gently caress yes.

Unless you guys really care, I’m not going to re-transcribe every single day’s TV broadcast. Maybe some of them, if they’re funny.

Yeah, let’s just think for a bit.

What the gently caress!? Say it ain’t so, there’s actually a way to check on your social stat progress now? Hallelujah! (Granted, it’s a bit vague, only separating it into three tiers of “not close,” “kinda close,” and “very close,” but I still appreciate it)

Let’s do that crossword.

So, this is what we’ve got. This crossword is school-themed and the answer to the main question is blatantly “semesters.” We only need to solve the main prompt, but I’ll show the rest too.

God help those students under the Pesticide Year, yeesh.

Maybe you got a bit smarter after solving those crossword puzzles.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

We’re going to comply with Morgana’s wishes and clean up the room today, if only to lull him into a false sense of security. And also because we need to do it to unlock the CRT and be able to feed our plant to raise Kindness, which are obviously less important.

Let’s take good care of this plant so it won’t dry up and wither away.

The bookshelves over there are looking a bit messy. Let’s clean everything up while we’re at it!

Take one, at least. A little bit of effort will go a long way.

Take this, too. Should be an easy read, right?

I wonder why this one is mixed in with all of these difficult books… Well, I suppose it doesn’t matter. This room feels a little more comfortable now… And just as I had predicted, we found a treasure, but…

It’d be a waste to just let it sit here though. Is there a place where we can get home appliances for cheap?

So, instead of buying the CRT from the secondhand shop and getting the DVD player as a bonus, we now just find the CRT in our room, but can’t watch anything without a tuner. No points for guessing where we’ll acquire that.

Early Morning

Is there something wrong with me?
(Calm Student) Maybe self-improvement is the answer. Try reading some books. You’ll get more than just some Knowledge out of them, and it’ll make you better in conversation. You’ll be more desirable if you’re more intelligent. It’ll take hard work, though—won’t happen overnight.
Yeah, but books make me sleepy… Guess I can give it a go, though, if it’ll help make me more popular with the ladies!

Popularity leads to intimacy, Vinny!

Uh, is the library where you go to borrow books?
Reading books is an important way to expand your mind.

Why must the world continually mock me?

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

You must all be shocked by what happened with Suzui-san. It was a shock to me too… Although I can relate to how she felt. Her eyes were devoid of life as they looked upon this sad, hopeless world.

This seems… insensitive at best. Maybe stop talking about the suicide attempt, hm?

Well, I suppose everyone views the world differently. Let’s have a test. You there…! Take a look at this.

Hm… I just can’t tell…

But we can always cheat! Thank you, network functions!

Heh, that’s correct. It seems your eyes see the truth.

Isn’t it strange that they view the same image differently? Humans don’t see the world as it is. We simply process visual information with our brain.
Wow, really?
Hamiru-kun seems kind of smart, doesn’t he?
Wow, you must really smart of be able to answer a question like that!

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

How you see the world is nothing more than a trick of the mind… It is all mere cognition. There is no proof that the world each of us sees is the same.
How you see the world depends on your brain’s cognition, huh… Optical illusions and the Metaverse might be more similar than you’d think.

Enough, Morgana, you’re confusing me by mixing your pseudoscience with this other pseudoscience.

Morning → After School

Music: Tokyo Emergency

>Still at school.
So am I. Hit me up if you wanna train… been feeling weak lately and I need to get my poo poo in gear to take down Kamoshida.

(Gossipy Female Student) She was close to Takamaki-senpai. Maybe they were fighting over Mr. Kamoshida?
Wow, that’s crazy! I’m sure he didn’t like getting caught up in that kind of drama, either.
I also heard he got hassled by the new transfer student. Even popular teachers have it tough, huh?

I wish he was the supervisor for my club, too. His reputation would even help when we go job hunting.
(Reserved Cultural Club Member) But maybe he’s got too much power. His student jumped off a building, and the principal did nothing.
Oh, you’re right. Most teachers would get punished for that. Maybe they’re keeping it under wraps…

We’re going to hang with Ryuji today. This is our only option in terms of Confidants, because if you remember (you do not), Takemi’s Rank 2 is gated by Rank 2 Guts.

I realized when we were runnin’ through that Palace that I can’t really move like I used to… So, how ‘bout we do some trainin’? I can’t just sit on my rear end here.

Let’s do some quick warm-ups behind the gym then. Go get changed.

Music: What’s Going On?

Back when I was on the track team, this was my secret trainin’ spot.

Actually, I’ve been thinkin’ about tryin’ to run again.

Fightin’ in that other world sucks… Can’t move like I used to. It felt so lame. So I’m gonna build up my muscles again, make my body less flimsy and useless. Maybe then I’ll be more of a help.

But you realize it’s not just gonna be me trainin’ today, right? Why do you think you got changed?
Oh gently caress, please no. I have a charley horse just from standing up right now.
Just do it! No point unless we’re both getting better, right?

I ran around the school with Ryuji…

I don’t really understand the geography of Shujin. It seems to be a fully enclosed courtyard, how did we get outside from here? How is this a good training spot? For that matter, how the gently caress did the ambulance get in here?

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

drat, my leg’s’re all tight… …… Before Kamoshida came along, the track team was the biggest thing this school had goin’ for it.

But everything changed when the Kamoshida Nation attacked.

But he got our coach fired and took over as the sub. All he wanted from the start was to get rid of us. He’d pile on crazy workouts, then even more when we couldn’t do ‘em… Every day with that BS… And I got it the worst.

He knew… He knew I was the kinda guy who’d fight back.

He’d find any excuse to cuss me out. And eventually he brought up my parents…
Is that when you punched him?
…… It’s just me and my mom, you know. When my dad was around, he’d just drink. Sometimes he’d even hit us. And Kamoshida found out somehow and told everyone on the goddamn team… …… Yeah, that’s when I lost it. But he wanted it. It was his excuse to shut down the team. And now all the other guys on the team treat me like a traitor. I cost them their shot at the championship.

>Do you want to go back?
To the track team? Nah… How could I after that? …… C’mon, don’t ask me tough questions like that. I’m not very smart, y’know!

Anyway, all that’s in the past now.

I’m only thinkin’ about the future now! That’s what we’re gonna do—build the future! We gotta think positive thoughts, brother!

The Hulkamaniacs are gonna build the futur—ah gently caress, abort joke! I forgot he’s racist!!!

Wait, what the gently caress is going on? No Baton Pass at Rank 2 even for Ryuji? What’s up here?

Also worth pointing out that Punk Talk has changed from its form in the original game. Where before it just gave you a random chance for a second go if you pissed off a Shadow, here it only works on upbeat Shadows, presumably in exchange for a higher proc rate.

By the way, you’re actually pretty good at runnin’. Not as good as me though!

Later.

Because I condensed some of this event, we didn’t see all the points the dialogue options gave. This is trivially unimportant unless you’re using this LP as some sort of guide (which, you shouldn’t be), but I’m just going to list the choices I picked in events like this one and give the point values for them for sake of transparency. For this event, I picked 1 (+3), 2 (+0), 1(+1).

But man, I’m so outta shape. Felt like I could barely drag my drat legs up the station steps… This would’ve never happened back then. Ugh… I should’ve kept up my running.

We’re only gettin’ started! Let’s keep on runnin’ towards tomorrow! I’m pretty rusty, but even if it got kinda rough, I had fun. And with you here, I get some friendly competition too. Plus we get to talk. So yeah, I’ll catch you later. See ya!

After School → Evening

I’ll know what’s what as soon as I see your grades. Wanna prove you’re turnin’ over a new leaf? Make studying your second biggest habit, after breathing.

Empty your mind of everything that doesn’t have to do with studying. Studying and breathing.

I finished a critique for work, so I am partaking in a moment’s rest. The ambience of my favorite café at closing time… This perfect silence soothes my very soul.
The TV’s on, though.

The customer then leaves.

You’re just on a chair, it’s not that high up…

This is the training tutorial. We’re still probably never going to do this unless we are absolutely out of other options.

Come to think of it, you bought some plant nutrients, right? Why don’t you try using them?

These are some reasonably priced nutrients. This ought to bring a bit of life back to this plant!

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

Now, the guide I was consulting for this actually recommends making infiltration tools tonight, but… we’re out of materials. And we don’t have enough money to buy them anyway even if we could go out and do so right now, which we can’t. And so, two days into this LP, we’re already off the rails!

You won’t have much time for studying when you go out into the world, so study now while you can.
What are you gonna do today, study?

I’m gonna head home. Clean up the place once you’re done, all right?

Music: Break it Down

Maaku gains Knowledge +2.

You’ll tire yourself out if you keep at it for too long. You should stop for today and get some sleep.

Early Morning

And you have a book you haven’t finished yet! Now this is nice. Why don’t you read that book until we get there?

We know how books work, game (though I guess Maaku might not).

Cat, read it to me.
…Really?

OBSCURED FLOOF DETECTED

(Mature-Looking Girl) Get a job, you bum.

Early Morning → Afternoon

Music: So Boring

“We”? I’m the one who pays for everything!
Maybe we need jobs.
Or we could just beat up Shadows until they drop enough money. That works for me.
Where does that money even come from? Isn’t it technically counterfeit?
Shut up! Thinking about this crap makes my head hurt!

Afternoon → After School

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

We might not have any revival items, but… let’s loving do this, I guess.

Find and steal the Treasure and the Palace will crumble. Got it.

Next time, the infiltration.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 6, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

It’d be a waste to just let it sit here though. Is there a place where we can get home appliances for cheap?

So, instead of buying the CRT from the secondhand shop and getting the DVD player as a bonus, we now just find the CRT in our room, but can’t watch anything without a tuner. No points for guessing where we’ll acquire that.

I assume that's to try and lead you to look for it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

Unless you guys really care, I’m not going to re-transcribe every single day’s TV broadcast. Maybe some of them, if they’re funny.
I concur, though I would like to see if there is any changed TV broadcast from the original. Though for you, checking if tv dialogue changed would be a pain, and my curiosity is not that high.

Arist posted:

What the gently caress!? Say it ain’t so, there’s actually a way to check on your social stat progress now? Hallelujah! (Granted, it’s a bit vague, only separating it into three tiers of “not close,” “kinda close,” and “very close,” but I still appreciate it)

An interesting evolution of the bathroom in Persona games.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Flair posted:

I concur, though I would like to see if there is any changed TV broadcast from the original. Though for you, checking if tv dialogue changed would be a pain, and my curiosity is not that high.

It's honestly not that hard to check because I helpfully wrote down the date every update covers and I'm already in the habit of looking at the TV every day :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 15: 4/20: Return to Castle Pervert (New)

This update covers Parts 13 and 14 of the original LP.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves

If you keep gawking I’m going to charge you my modeling fee.

I-I was just thinkin’ we should choose a code name for you too.

That sounds dumb.
No, it’s really cool, shut up! Joker, you suggest something, show her!

Once again, I like none of these options.

No way! At least let me decide!
Then what’s your name gonna be?
Hmm, this costume kinda limits my options… How about Panther? Sounds ferocious!

She’s a cougar…

Gross.

Don’t call me that! More importantly: Kamoshida!
Oh, right! Let’s go!

Get in. Bossman wants to talk.

Music: Aria of the Soul

Hey man, good going with the Confidants. I know it doesn’t seem like much right now but you wouldn’t believe the number of guests who can’t even get that much right. Why, I remember this one blue-haired dipshit—
Master.
Well, that’s for another time, I suppose. The point I’m trying to make is, this rehabilitation is a reciprocal relationship, and you’ve been holding up your end so far.

I had an idea for this shot where I would photoshop Adam Jensen’s weird eye-lenses over Maaku’s eyes, but I realized it probably wouldn’t be that recognizable, definitely wouldn’t be very funny because that dumb meme is nine years old by now, and also I was too lazy and the first two reasons I gave are just post-hoc justifications.

Yes, I admit, I have not been the most forthcoming with information. But I’ll tell you everything. Later. At some point in the future.

I’m not actually sure he ever does this, and I’ve played this game to completion four times across both versions!

*raises eyebrow skeptically*
Oh, don’t get like that. I was just about to introduce you to the services we provide here. Like executing your Persona.
I’m sorry, what?
Okay, yes, I know that sounds bad, but just trust me. It’ll make you stronger. We’ve already got the guillotine set up, and it’s Caroline’s birthday! Do it for her, pleeeeeeease?
I don’t know what a birthday is, but if you say no I’ll hit you with the zappy stick.
God, this place sucks.
You’re basically just throwing away your old personality and forging a new one. That’s marginally less scary, right?
It really isn’t, but my current personality is inclined to just let you do it so I don’t get shocked by the child.
Great! You won’t regret this!

So, we’re just back in the fusion tutorial, it’s dirt-simple. Though I do appreciate this time how the game forces you to fuse Arsène away so you’ll hopefully learn that your starting Persona is expendable.

You’re putting me in the silence mill? After all I’ve done for you? Not cool, bro.

FOUNTAINS OF GORE

And now we trade our rad-as-gently caress starting Persona for this dude who lives in a bucket. Really trading up there.

In time, we will develop more ways to gruesomely execute your Personas for material reward. Your rehabilitation is going well so far.

Remember Third Eye? It let us hold down a button to see extra hidden details in Palaces.

Now, leave us. I have to do my Ixal quests before reset.

Leveling crafters, eughhh.

Is he all right? He’s been staring at nothing for like ten minutes.
I’m not sure…
Hold on, I think he’s coming around!
Okay, I’m ready. Let’s go, guys.
Were you not ready *before*?
Shut up, Skull! Don’t bring it up!

Music: Who’s There?

Y’think this is the place they showed on TV last time?
*to Teddie* You’re positive that no one’s behind a camera for that bizarre midnight program?
Program…? I don’t know. Maybe people on your side can see stuff in this world. It might be that. And I told you before! There’s only me and Shadows here! There’s no “camera” stuff going on. This world has been like this from the beginning.
“From the beginning”…? That’s what we don’t understand!
I dunno… Can you guys explain everything about your world? I’ve never seen this “program” thingy before. So I don’t know.
Well… is that really what’s happening? Are we really looking into this world? Because the first time Yukiko showed up on that channel was before she disappeared. Doesn’t that seem off? I mean, Yukiko saying stuff like “score myself a hot stud”? That’s not like her at all!

Now that this game isn’t stuck on the tiny Vita screen, I can’t not notice that the “open” quotation mark is just a “close” quotation mark, and it looks real weird! Curse you, incomplete font!

Yeah, I couldn’t believe it either… Yukiko-san would never say anything like that. ……!? I wonder… Is this kinda like what happened to me last time…?
There’s a lot of stuff I still don’t get. But after hearing your story… I think that “program” happens because of the person who appears on it. Or something like that…

So… Yukiko is producing that show herself? Ugh, I don’t get this at all!

It’s not a real Persona game without lots of scenes where characters explain things extremely vaguely and then other characters get mad because they don’t understand.

Hey… Do you feel Yukiko’s presence from inside?
I’m pretty sure. So, um… what’s this “scoring with a hot stud” thing…?
Yukiko’s here… I’m going on ahead!

Why would she run off? You told her about the horrifying monsters, right?
poo poo, I knew I forgot something.

Geez! We better follow her!

Music: Backside of the TV

She ran off on her own…
Urk! There are lots of Shadows in the castle. It’ll be dangerous inside for a girl by herself…
Dude, are you serious!? Why didn’t you tell bus before!? C’mon, let’s find Chie!

Before we head inside the castle, talking to Teddie will give us a leg up.

We should catch up to her quick, Sensei! Ah, that’s right! Here, take this.

Oh, this too. I gathered all of these myself. I’ll give them to you, Sensei!

Well, off you go.

Be careful!

From here, we’re going to teleport to our furthest reached Safe Room, which is… the very first one. We’ll do that in just a second.

Remember the Thieves Guild, which allowed other players to help us as we progressed? Neither did I!

There’s a shortcut here to right after the part where we jump across the chandeliers, but despite nothing actually impeding us from climbing this, we can’t use it until we get that far.

You can only use it in safe places, but when you do, it’ll take care of all the exhaustion from our past fights! We’ll let you decide when to use it—just make sure the time’s right.

This time, perhaps in an effort to both tutorialize and help us get through the Palace in a single day, Mona will give us a Stamina Kit S, which will restore 10% of the party’s SP, but can only be used while in a safe room. We will be saving it for as long as we can. Hopefully we won’t need it at all.

Well, let’s continue progressing.

These fine tools have my seal of approval! Use them wisely, all right?

I will instantly forget this exists and never use it outside of maybe using Auto-Recover to restore HP after a fight. Me forgetting things is going to be a bit of a running theme today, for the record.

One thing I didn’t forget: our dire financial situation. In most situations where we hold enemies up (especially strong enemies), I’m going to go begging for loose change instead of All-out Attacking. This will affect our experience gain, but also we really need the cash.

One wrinkle in the plan to finish the Palace in a day, besides our lack of revival items, is that we don’t have a ton of elemental coverage. Mona is the only one in the party who can use Wind spells at the moment, and a decent percentage of our foes today are weak to it. This means Mona’s going to run low pretty quickly. Just one more thing to manage, I suppose.

Skull learns Lunge, his first Physical skill. I don’t think there’s a ton of differences in Persona skillsets for party members, but I’ll keep track of their skills as best I can.

Okay, now that we’ve expanded our roster, let’s try that thing!

A way for us to gain the advantage during a battle. It’s called a “Baton Pass”!

Oh, so this is where they put the Baton Pass unlock. I was getting worried for a minute there.

Actually, I’ll show you what I mean while we deal with this Shadow.

Music: Take Over

Use this opportunity to Baton Pass and swap your turn with someone else!

Okay, right, every time we Baton Pass in succession we get more damage and healing output. Good…

...but that’s not all! If you manage to do a full party Baton Pass, the last member can use any skill in their repertoire at no cost. It’s loving amazing.

Baton Passing is just generally a lot more useful in Royal, in part because every party member now has it when they join, but also because the enemy encounters seem more designed around using it. It’s great to actually be able to take advantage of the system to the fullest extent possible.

The Baton Pass color will also change as you go up the tiers. Red, then yellow, then blue.

And we end on Skull because he has the least SP.

Just a reminder that we can’t negotiate during scripted fights. It sucks.

This is where we get tutorialized on hiding, check.

Here’s the room where we find the first map and have to pull the switches we see with Third Eye to progress, double check…

Skipping right past the chandelier section (where they removed an enemy popping up to gank you, thank god) to the next safe room, triple check…

(We’re not going to open this chest because we only have one Lockpick. This decision was completely arbitrary, but also it’s right next to a safe room so we can easily just craft some Lockpicks before the boss fight and just pop back in here to get it)

This enemy is Cait Sith, the original inspiration for the legend of Puss in Boots. It’s weak to Wind Strong against Electricity, and uses Fire and Light Physical, as well as Tarukaja to buff its Attack.

I already went over most of the enemies in the previous LP, but Royal adds some new ones here and there so I’ll mention those as they come up, like this one.

But there’s a way to open it, right? Let’s start looking, Joker.

Go around the corner and pull this switch first…

…then go back and pull this one.

Yep, that was it! Let’s go!

Voila, gate open.

Yep, sure looks like it to me. Now, according to the map…

Looks like they’re making things tougher for us yet again…
Eh, it shouldn’t be too bad. Let’s just get it done.

We’ve got a switch-and-gate puzzle here. And that means it’s of course time for Bad Photoshop Diagram Time!

This diagram isn’t essential, but it helps get an idea of the flow of the room. Switches open the gate of the corresponding number, and close all other gates (except Switch 3, which opens Gate 1 as well so you can’t trap yourself in a hell of your own making). Gate 1 is open at the start, in addition.

Laying it out like this, it actually seems a lot easier than it is. Where’s the trouble? Well, the section in the top-right is where the rub lies. It’s very easy to pass by Switch 4 without noticing it, and the section just past it is a vent you can only go through one way.

Oh boy, more laundry fodder.

Come to think of it, I remember seeing a Shadow with one… Maybe if we negotiate properly, we can get one. Wait, wasn’t there a coin laundry near Leblanc?

Thankfully, once you get through that and pull switch 5, all gates in the area open. Let’s move on.

Here’s the Shadow personalities tutorial. I only mention it at all because there’s a little bonus the game gives us to take advantage of this more efficiently that we’ll see in a bit.

Accessories in Royal are much, much more useful than they were in the original game, where they were pretty much just a slot for your SP Adhesive 3 cheesing. Now, there’s actual decisions to make, because accessories can give your party members extra skills! Now, I totally forget to actually equip this on anyone here because I’m dumb, but Garu would be pretty useful for Panther, so pretend I gave it to her.

Should we check somewhere else?
Wait—look up there.

Phantom thieves do things a bit more stylishly than that… and I know just what’ll do the trick.

That’s just a little something I’ve been working on in secret. The grappling hook lets you zip to hard-to-reach locations in a flash. You’ll see what I’m talking about when you test it out. Go ahead, give it a try.

But I bet you’ll be fine if you’re smart about it, Joker. Let’s give it a try!

Wheeeeeeee

Wow, you really can do anything here if you think you can hard enough…

Clap your hands if you believe in the power of the grappling hook!

Heh, you actually did it! I knew you could!

Panther, why are you lying on the ground like that?

Yeah, he does look pretty tough… Not only that, but it seems like he’s more aware of his environment than the others. We’d better proceed with caution.

“Proceed with caution” = “Let’s jump that motherfucker!”

Music: Take Over

As you can see, we have not reached the damage threshold to negotiate with this Shadow yet. The text will fill in once we do.

Ah gently caress, he killed Skull in one hit.

That’s a lotta money! We’re rich!

We need to put the object in the indentation to proceed, just like in the original. And to do that, we’re going to need to find…

…these books! They’re not terribly hidden, but the King book has been, annoyingly, moved to the library itself and I spent ages looking for it.

Remember what I said about Shadow personalities earlier? Well, this is an addition that makes remembering them much easier. Our navigator (in this case, Mona), will remind us of their personality and give a pretty-unsubtle hint as to what type of response we need to use. It’s not much but it significantly boosted my successful Persona recruitment, because I was just guessing before most of the time.

God, everything here’s all about being ripped. That guy’s totally in love with his muscles…
…Gross.

Now, we find “The Beefcake Book”.

Let’s insert it, shall we?

Huh? Izzat one no good there?
Maybe there’s something stuck in that spot. Why don’t you try reaching in there, Skull?

Oh, sweet. Here, you can have it.

Nifty.

Later, once we solve the devious book puzzle…

loving disgusting.

And we have the medal we need to proceed! Let’s get out of this den of iniquity.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Arist posted:

Now, leave us. I have to do my Ixal quests before reset.

Leveling crafters, eughhh.

I had forgotten the pain until I switched over to my Aether alt. 59 levels until it becomes bearable. :negative:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
I cannot possibly loving overstate just how much better the improvements to baton pass, accessories and guns make combat.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Baton Pass was alright in the original, but wow did they really make it worth your while. Its so good, I don't think I could go back to Vanilla just because of Baton Pass.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I definitely absolutely adore the changes to Baton Pass, if for no other reason than making it feel like it's actually an element of the battle system they meant to include and not just like... some weird thing they just slapped in.

I also can't overstate how nice it is that Morgana (I think Morgana always does it, as long as he's present? Maybe I'm just misremembering, though) gives hints about the Shadow's personality. Makes it so much easier to remember.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I didn't even realize that there was a damage threshold for negotiating. Every time I've seen a red shadow I just assumed they were immune to negotiations.

I guess most of the time it's only because red shadows will actually be the only ones to have enough health to actually take a hit and not be at half health or something.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

God, this place sucks.

I have yet to hear of a prison that does not suck.

Arist posted:

Before we head inside the castle, talking to Teddie will give us a leg up.

Actually, Teddie will give you the items regardless if you talk him to or not. If you do not talk to him, he will hand you the items as you enter the dungeon.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Persona games don't make you have to give up health/mp or items and money to recruit demons do they? I remember that being a pain in the rear end to do in SMT4 when you'd give them everything and they woulden't join. Or you woulden't give them anything and they would join.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Panther, why are you lying on the ground like that?

Man, this screenshot really shows that Ryuji and Ann need a mask or helmet or something to hide their hair in here. They're like a pair of lighthouses in this place.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Shame Boy posted:

Persona games don't make you have to give up health/mp or items and money to recruit demons do they? I remember that being a pain in the rear end to do in SMT4 when you'd give them everything and they woulden't join. Or you woulden't give them anything and they would join.

At least for P5 you don't have to give up anything.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

At least for P5 you don't have to give up anything.

You kind of do, but only as an opportunity cost - when you're negotiating you can ask for money or item or joining, but not all at once, I think.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

One thing I might not have covered back when we infiltrated the Palace on the 15th was that you can actually recruit a Persona you already have, and unlike in the original game there's a benefit besides just ending the fight--the Persona will gain experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 16: 4/20: Harvesting Seeds (New)

This update covers Parts 14 and 15 of the original LP.

After picking up the medal we need to open the way forward, we turn to leave, but…

If we wanna head back, we’ll hafta go through this guy… Time to make a path!

Okay, let’s fight!

Music: Last Surprise

What’s up with that one? It’s mumblin’ to itself, but… it’s not makin’ any moves.
Be careful. If my prediction is correct, that one’s a bit problematic for us.
Alright, then I’ll go take care of it!
Just be careful!

Skull attacks…

...and the Shadow immediately counterattacks!

It started moving after we attacked it… Looks like it’s exactly what I expected. Once we take it down—Hey, you two! Watch this!

Uh, am I not even here…?

Mona finishes it off.

I’ll explain later! Focus on the battle for now!

So, these are Disaster Shadows. Despite the name, they’re not actually very scary. They’re just a fun little twist on normal fights.

Remember: the more damage the hit that kills them deals, the more damage the explosion causes. So don’t try to kill an almost-dead one with, say, a gunshot, or you’re wasting the free damage.

Okay, let’s finish the remaining Shadows then…

But more show up! With another Disaster Shadow leading the pack!

It’s probably best to take it down fast by striking its weakness and getting it to blow up. Alternately, we could put it to sleep or make it unable to move, then just deal with it later.

Nah, that’s weak poo poo. We’re gonna do the first thing!

Hit its weakness, Baton Pass over to Skull and get him to hit its weakness again to blow them all up.

That Snuff Soul will be mighty useful, as it restores 50 SP. So useful, in fact, that we’re going to save it for a later dungeon!

I call those scary ones Disaster Shadows.
They really are scary…

What did I just say?

But just so long as we handle ‘em right, we oughta be able to make ‘em useful to us, right?
Right! If we run across any more of those, I say we focus on them first!

Right, let’s go.

New safe room available, which is good because the fight with that Archangel is coming up.

Hm? The statue has a crack in the arm now. Weird.

He charges up, we know by this point to guard. Easy peasy.

We take him down quickly enough despite his resistance to most elements and lack of a weakness. Panther learning Dormina will really help us out in the future, though.

Nothing huge in here that we haven’t seen before.

gently caress, ambush!

What should we do? Head back?
No, the Treasure is definitely up ahead, and there has to be a path to it somewhere. See anything that could help us zip by here? Keep your eyes sharp!

The cracked arm…?

And now we can investigate this area! Let’s get to it.

Are the others just, like… grabbing onto Joker and riding him when he grapples? That’s pretty funny if so.

The ambush happened in the original game too, but in Royal you get to just grapple away and never have to actually fight anything on the ground here at any point. It’s way less of a slog, generally. We’re already leaving this room without having fought anything!

(I probably missed a chest on the ground somewhere, but whatever)

Hm?

Well, let’s head over then.

Yeah. By the looks of it, no one’s been in there for a long time.
I wonder what’s over there… Should we take a closer look?
Hey, Joker. Do you see that handle-like thing at the top of that arch?

As we approach the door, we begin to hear the indistinct whispers of Kamoshida’s soul…

Cut the vines with a flourish.

Maaku opens this door like he’s the loving Chosen Undead.

Yeah, and there’s something super-suspicious over there…

C’mon, follow me!

Music: Wicked Plan

Just what I thought… A “Will Seed.”

Palaces are locations that grew distorted from their original forms due to their rulers’ cognitions. When such distortions coalesce into form, this is the result—I call it a “Will Seed.”
Distortions… coalesce… into Will Seeds…
Should I try explaining that again?
Ugh, just forget it! That’s a Will Seed. Movin’ on…
So, what do we do with it?
We take it. It may not be as prized as a Treasure, but it’s still quite the rare find. Making it ours with only do us good… I think.
Umm, is it really okay to take it?

YOU’RE HERE TO STEAL THINGS, I scream, waking up the neighbors and scaring a cat out of a nearby tree

Nothin’ lovely better happen when you take it—like some trap goin’ off, or we all end up cursed…

I guess… nothin’ happened?
There are more of these around here somewhere… As far as I can tell, there are two more of them left.
Huh? How can you tell? You smell ‘em or somethin’?
Yeah, like how dogs can—Oh, but you’re a cat.

So, uh… How did Morgana know that there were two more? Oh, whatever.

This, in the short term, is vital. The SP recovery is going to be vital for us to get through the rest of the Palace without having to leave. I’m not quite sure if it’s a percentage or a set amount restored (I believe it’s the latter), but it’s still mighty useful.

Let’s open this chest with our Lockpick.

Sure, Panther.

Music: Tension

There’s the tower we’re heading towards.

But a bunch of strong enemies block the path…

No matter, we can grapple!

And once we’re up there, we’re just one more grapple away…

…from skipping the whole drat thing.

Let’s climb inside.

But before we go any further…

There’s a vent up here that’s deviously easy to overlook.

From there, we’re just a few grapples away from the second Will Seed.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

Now we resume our tower infiltration.

A trap? Are we so repressed that the asses are dangerous to us? What, are we Waylon Smithers?

Could be a hidden room. Let’s check it out, Joker!

Music: Castle

Ugh, she ran off all alone… Dammit, let’s go!
Um, wait a second! The Shadows have gotten aggravated ever since you two got here. They’ll probably attack as soon as they find you, Sensei. So try to get the jump on Shadows before they can attack you!

Ambush Shadows, gotcha.

Not quite as stylish as we’re used to, but whatever.

Music: Reach Out To The Truth

Music: Time To Make History

Time To Make History plays during normal battles, and Reach Out To The Truth plays when you successfully get the advantage to start a fight. It’s really easy to get the advantage, which is a shame because Time To Make History is the better track in my opinion.

Here’s P4’s battle menu. It’s got its own unique flair in the TV stylings, though again, not nearly to the level we see later.

Knocking enemies down is still the same, though if you hit an enemy that’s already down you can make them Dizzy, which will prevent them from getting up for an additional turn.

Shuffle Time returns from Persona 3 and the original version of 4, though different than it was in either of those games. No, in its present form there’s honestly no reason for it still to be called “Shuffle Time”, because there’s no shuffle. The cards don’t loving move anymore! But whatever.

We’re just going to take the Slime and move on. Also, the Hermit effect, “Avoid Encounters”, doesn’t actually despawn enemies, it just prevents them from noticing you.

Certain kinds of cards will have you incur a penalty in exchange for letting you pick even more cards, which can end up very worth it. If you manage to grab every card in a Shuffle Time, you’ll get to pick more cards in the next Shuffle Time. It’s very convoluted and hard to explain!

I don’t like Yu Narukami as a name. Bite me.

Let’s just keep progressing through the castle and looking for Chie.

If a party member (or even an enemy) misses a melee attack, there’s a good chance they’ll fall over like a klutz and get downed. What a dingus.

Oh, right. I forgot that in this game all new party members are set to Act Freely by default and won’t let you pick their actions for them until you change that in the Tactics menu. Right.

All the enemies are knocked down, time for an All-Out Attack!

Didn’t quite kill them all, so we just get this.

But this is what it looks like when you finish off all enemies.

But, man… what the hell am I even doing here? I spent, like, hours getting to the first dungeon section in this game for this dumb joke that didn’t even go anywhere?

You’re good at fighting, Sensei. Compared to you, Yosuke stinks…
Shut up, Ted! Though I do gotta admit… You have a knack for this stuff.
Doesn’t he? So you should be the one to give Yosuke orders during a fight.

Already made that executive decision, Ted. Dude was casting Garu on a Lying Hablerie! Can you believe that poo poo?

Like, I guess I thought I would figure it out when I got there? There wasn’t even a real joke, just a thin sketch of a premise for a joke? Like, “Ohoho, isn’t it weird that the first dungeons of P4 and P5 are both castles? Behold my cutting insight!”

Like, gently caress man, this is “Did you know Superman and Batman’s moms are both named Martha?” level. Ugh.

Though at least my thing isn’t the emotional backbone of a three hundred million-dollar movie.

Yeah, really great consolation there, Arist. Christ.

H-Hey, where are we?

So, we’ve descended from the tower to the room behind the main entrance hall, which makes no geographic sense whatsoever but roll with it. In the original game, there was another elevator in this room we could not take, but upon inspection would bring up an enemy and a chest. That elevator is not currently operating, but I forgot to inspect it this run because I’m dumb so you’ll have to take my word for it.

We’re back in the atrium.

There’s a few chests on either side of the staircase, and this Magic Ointment is worth pointing out, as it reflects a magic attack for one ally.

I see. I bet we can access an area that we couldn’t before. Good eye, Joker!

Ohhh, right! We should be able to get somewhere else now!

Yep, we can take the elevator now.

Mona will tell us when we’re near a Will Seed door, like we are now. It’s useful if you’re worried about missing one, but the range is pretty short so you still need to be vigilant.

And there’s our final door.

Right again. I can sense a Will Seed beyond the door, but… it’s gonna be rough going.

The final, blue Will Seed will always be guarded by a strong Shadow you’ll need to defeat to claim it.

Music: Blood of Villain

I guess we’ll just have to step on YOU first! Let’s do thi—

Wait… Panther, don’t talk like that, I think this might be—

AH CHRIST

It’s coming!

Stop! Stop talking!!!!!

Music: Keeper of Lust

This fight is pretty much identical to the same fight from the original game, they just moved it down here to this weird basement. It’ll still fixate on Ann and then attack her, basically. Here, we’re actually seeing the benefits of Technical attacks a bit before we get tutorialized on them. In this instance, we’re using Physical on a Shocked enemy to knock it down, something we couldn’t do beforehand (Technicals would deal bonus damage, but they would never knock an enemy down). We’ll go into the revamped Technical system shortly once we actually get introduced to it.

I am SO done with this place…
We’re all almost through here—just hang in there, Panther.

Let’s go collect that Will Seed.

Something’s happening…

And it turned into an accessory!

C’mon, Mona! You never told us what these Will Seeds’ll do!

I mean, I never expected anything less than that to happen!

Oh, who cares about the details!? What really matters is the power I’m sensing from it. Maybe it could give us an upper hand somehow in the future?
Wait, we’re just… taking it? I’m not totally sure that’s a great idea…
A phantom thief makes use of any available tool to accomplish a mission.
Who knows what we’ll find next? If we find ourselves in a situation where this could be useful, let’s see what it can do!

That Will Seed is incredibly useful, giving the wearer access to the skill Diarama (moderate healing). It only costs 6 SP and at this point in the game it will probably heal anyone in the party to full. We’re going to slap it on Skull because he has the most SP at the moment, though I will, again, forget to actually equip this item until later in the Palace.

All right, let’s head back up.

We’re out of Lockpicks. Thankfully, both locked chests we’ve missed are near safe rooms so we can pick them up when we steal the Treasure with minimal fuss.

They’ve moved Angels from Kaneshiro’s Palace to Kamoshida’s, and Andras no longer seems to appear as a Shadow either. Not a huge deal. It’s weak to Gun and Curse (it was only weak to Curse before), nulls Bless, and is strong against Electricity. It also uses Makajama to inflict Forget.

Okay, we get to the top, but need to find those gross horny eyes on the two Eligor Shadows.

Just like in the original game, this is the perfect place to use Panther’s Dormina to inflict Sleep. Waiting out its turn and then hitting it with a Technical attack is still incredibly effective.

That Shadow has a lot of health. This’ll be a pain… Joker, I taught you how to strike your opponents’ weaknesses, right? If you could blind it or put it to sleep, you’d have an easier time doing real damage to it.

Blind isn’t a status effect in this game! The equivalent status in this game is Dizzy, goddammit!

Let’s check out Variations of Technicals then.

I’m not going to memorize this and you shouldn’t either. Just keep in mind that Technicals are far, far more useful in this game than in the original.

We got both eyes thanks to Panther putting the enemies to sleep, let’s proceed.

This Breath Ring gives the wearer Life Bonus, which increases their max HP by 10%. We slap that on Mona because he needs the health the most by far. We also finally remember to put the Crystal of Lust on Skull and the Breeze Ring (gives the Garu skill) to Ann.

Over on the other side of the bridge is a deviously hidden little item requiring you to investigate an alcove that looks like nothing but a dead end.

Grapple up here…

And claim our reward.

We finally made it to the last Safe Room!

Now, let’s secure the path to the Treasure.

Sorry, boss…

That Treasure thing’s gotta be in here!
Hey, what is this? It’s… floating in the air.

Pretty lame Treasure.
Hold on, it’ll look a lot more impressive once we’ve done what we need to. Basically, Kamoshida’s desires haven’t materialized yet. They’re too intangible. But to make them take solid form…

So we’re gonna send a calling card? That’s totally what a phantom thief would do!

Once that’s accomplished, the Treasure should appear… probably.
You’re real bad at this mentor thing.

Our infiltration route is secure. All that’s left now is to pump out a calling card in reality, then come back to take the Treasure!

Alright, we got through the Palace in a single day! And without wasting any SP items! Honestly, it was a little easier than it was in the original game thanks to the Will Seeds. I used a lot of melee in that run to conserve SP, and here I didn’t really have to do too much to save on those precious, precious Ps of S.

We also ended up with a good deal of money at the end of the day, with about 28k, which might not sound like much, but we also got an additional 25k in junk items to sell to the airsoft shop. We have enough money to survive for a bit, is what I’m saying. Hopefully it’ll last us until the next dungeon.

Music: King, Queen, and Slaves (Another Version)

Before we leave, there’s one last chest near the final safe room, accessed by climbing up a bookcase and grappling up to the window on the other side of the door from the one we climbed to get to the Treasure room. It contains this Physical Ointment. We collect it and leave. But we’re not going to leave the Palace just yet, because there’s one thing we still should do in preparation that we’ll start the next update with: fusion!

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This update is full of amazing qol updates for the game. Disaster shadows add some variety to enemy encounter and can get you some cool stuff and party members asking to use character specific gear that is found in the palace means less messing around in the menu. The whole will seed system deserves a special shoutout as not only is the item you get at the end really good, they help to provide a general sense of pace for the palace and how much further you have to go whilst also making sp patches not nearly as necessary as they were in the base game.