Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I wonder if they'd included a moment in Yusuke's confidant where he asks the protagonist to model nude for him would've helped or hurt this whole situation.

That probably would just have made even more people upset that Yusuke wasn't datable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I like Ann even after her story role gets reduced. She and Yusuke are the voices of reason where Ryuji is the hothead, Makoto gets too in her own head, Haru is too passive and Futaba is just the tech side of things.

Of course because Plot Reasons the story has to basically go with the hothead options to make the PTs make the mistakes, so we don't really explore what happens if Ann and Yusuke actually talk the group out of their height of popularity.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yusuke is a voice of reason?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yusuke is a voice of reason?

Funnily enough he kinda starts to fill this role for the group yeah, particularly around the time of the Okumura palace. IIRC he's actually the first one to pump the breaks on targeting Okumura and expressing his uneasiness over how crazy their popularity has gotten.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

There are some very well written characters in the game. It's just that the quality of the writing is massively inconsistent.

Some of the new stuff in Royal is so much better written then vanilla it almost feels like it's not the same game.

kw0134 posted:

In the hands of a capable writer, any and all of these objections can be surmounted.

What people are questioning is whether such a writer exists with Atlus.

Yeah, I think these two posts sum up my feelings well. This is a really good game and it does have some fantastic writing and characters in it, but the writers definitely have flaws and hangups and it is not a writing staff I would trust to handle an expanded role for Shiho with the level of delicacy required.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah once you get past his Palace Yusuke honestly is kinda grounded outside of his SLs and a few goofy scenes like Futaba and the beach. He's not really interested in fame or glory, he just wants to do what's right and doing art for the sake of it.

And it's really iffy because Atlus does genuinely have some good writers with some things like Akihiko/Shinjiro/Ken in P3, Ai/Naoki in P4... but a lot of the parts where they drop the ball seem to be in the main part of the stories.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Yusuke is arguably a more practical person than Makoto by Okumura, it's kinda weird but also kinda amazing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The writers try to keep Yusuke as the grounded and level-headed one, despite his eccentricities. When it comes to the important stuff, he absolutely is the voice of reason.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ChaosArgate posted:

The writers try to keep Yusuke as the grounded and level-headed one, despite his eccentricities. When it comes to the important stuff, he absolutely is the voice of reason.

It’s because all his eccentricities are related to his art or anything that involves money (for art). So that allows them to otherwise have him be a refined and reserved young man who happens to be strangely passionate for exactly one thing in life.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's actually interesting how Yusuke and Ryuji parallel one another. Both are somewhat disillusioned loners who grew up in relative poverty, suddenly thrust into the role of being a popular and successful phantom thief. For Ryuji he latches onto it as a source of self worth and agency, which causes him to lose sight of his original goal of helping those victimized by people in power like he was. For Yusuke however, who not only has a much more reserved temperament but also has his art as his own source of self worth, the sudden popularity of the thieves is disconcerting and he is much more sensitive to the group's morals and goals being compromised in the pursuit of public opinion.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 19: 4/22-4/24: Clemency

This update covers Parts 17 and 18 of the original LP.

Music: Desire

What? You’re not gonna run anymore? I thought you were supposed to be an athlete.
Everyone’s always demanding results from me, pinning their drat hopes on me! They expect the world! This is all for them, can’t they see that? I’m entitled to a reward for my hard work!
All you’ve got is excuses. Well, we can fix that.
*gulp*
Are you scared? Good. Right now you’re seeing what Shiho saw that day… Do you think she was as scared as you? Will you make the same choice she did? I guess what I’m asking is… how would you prefer to die? Because I’m about to burn this mother down.

Do you want to finish him off? It’s your call.

Shut up. I bet everyone told you the same.

Eyyy, ya missed, pal!

Go ahead and finish me off… You do that… and my real self will go down too… You have that right since you’ve won…

Eyyy, ya missed, pal!

You’re kind, Lady Ann.

You’re through when you lose… What am I—What am I supposed to do now?

Suck less.

Hey, just so you know, we don’t have time to waste. This place is about to collapse!

Video: Castle Escape

Music: Collapse of Lust

Everything’s loving shaking!

Instead of turning into a bus so we can GTFO, Mona decides to clean himself. Definitely a cat.

This beat, with Ryuji stumbling due to being unused to running after Kamoshida broke his leg, is probably to set up the moment in Shido’s Palace where he sprints to the lifeboat. Unfortunately, that moment ends up meaningless because it’s undercut by turning Ryuji’s survival into a bad joke where the girls beat him up, so this all ends up feeling very weird and vestigial.

*pant* *pant* That sucked…

Look at the nav!

...It’s true. We can’t go there anymore.
What about the Treasure!?

Uhh, that’s not what we picked up! Where’s the crown?
That must’ve been the original source of Kamoshida’s desires. It’s worth as much as the crown did to him in the Palace.
So it’s an Olympic medal… He must’ve been obsessed with his own past glory…
Does this mean his heart changed?
Uhhh… probably.
Our asses are on the line here! Can’t you ever be sure of anything!?
Hey, I’ve never done this before either. But it’s definitely had *some* effect… His Palace disappeared after all.

Ugh, I feel all antsy! Ain’t there a way to check now?

Let’s break into his house and ask him.
Not really in the mood for your jokes, man.
Oh. Haha. Yes. It was a “joke.”

You guys are worrying too much! The mission was an unqualified success! Well, except the part where he turned into a fifty-foot tongue monster, but we managed!

Music: Break it Down (Elp Version)

We just don’t know if everything’s okay yet…

It’ll work out. Kamoshida’s Shadow seemed to regain his conscience at the end, and that’s got to be worth something. You all definitely helped people today. Remember that.
Looks like we just gotta wait and see what happens to him.
Let’s go home for now.
Anyway, I got fifty thousand yen from killing monsters in there, you guys want any? I’m kind of worried about spending it because I’m pretty sure it’s technically counterfeit.

After School → Evening

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

I owe you guys so much, I’d never have been able to do this on my own.
>It’s nothing, you helped too.
That cognitive world is nuts though, right? We stole someone’s heart… And Morgana transformed while we escaped! What’s that about?

Probably just something they thought would be funny when they storyboarded that scene and didn’t realize it would create story problems later.

It’s because I’m awesome!

Or that.

I’m so relieved now that this is done… See you tomorrow.

Well, you see, this line has actually changed a bit from the origina—am I really doing this? Am I really comparing the loving TV lines with themselves from the original game? Why do I have to make this hard on myself?

Anyway, we decide to finish off Pirate Legend today.

Maaku gains Guts +3.

Early Morning

It’s such a pain to put on makeup, and I hate shopping, so I usually end up just lazing about the house.
(Shopping Enthusiast) Same here. Good thing there’s home shopping. They always have the best stuff on Sundays.
I *just* told you I hated shopping.

I felt so wiped out after taking down Kamoshida I slept in and had to skip breakfast… You’re tired too, right?
Nah man, I’m fuckin’ aces! I read a whole book last night! Well, you know what I mean, the cat read it to me.
You’re weird, man.
No, I just subsist entirely on coffee and curry! Sojiro refuses to feed me anything else!

Early Morning → Morning

Music: So Boring

You kids are lucky to receive direct instruction from a world-famous athlete like him. Sports have been regarded as sacred things that invigorate people since ancient times. So much so that an emperor himself even participated once.

Huh!? U-Um…
It’s Nero. *sigh* It’s good to throw yourself into your club activities, but you shouldn’t sacrifice your studies.
…… Sorry…

Poor Mishima, getting poo poo from all directions…

That said, you don’t seem too into sports, Hamiru-kun. Between music, theater, and chariot racing, which sport did Nero win when he participated in the Olympics?

…Time to add one more by dunking him into oblivion!

Correct. Hm. It seems you’ve been studying after all. Nero won many awards in all kinds of competitions. All rigged in his favor, of course. Because of these kinds of selfish actions—not to mention a lecherous side—he became known as a despot.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1.

That said, recently people have begun reevaluating Nero’s reign. Regardless though, he was lacking in sportsmanship. He should have taken a page out of Kamoshida-kun’s book! Hahaha!

Please, no.

Don’t give us that crap. Kamoshida’s the real despot.

Morning → Lunchtime

Music: Disquiet

Nope.

You really think he changed?

Look man, we’re all new at this. He could explode for all any of us know. Literally.

Mr. Kamoshida has taken the day off.
He ain’t here?
Don’t tell anyone that you heard this from me…

What a very Adachi thing to say.

But we received word that Mr. Kamoshida is placing himself under suspension. It’s such an important time before the tournament too… Principal Kobayakawa went to talk to him about it, but he supposedly wasn’t making any sense…

Keep it down! I *just* told you not to tell people and you immediately yelled it out!
Please forgive my idiot. It won’t happen again.
Anyway, I don’t know too much, but it seems like the talks about your expulsions might be put on hold too… That’s all the information I have to share.
How uncharacteristically kind of you. Thanks.
…Shut it or I’ll give you a zero on your midterms. One less to actually grade.

At least it sounds different from a mental shutdown… I guess all we can do is wait…

The familiar refrain plays once more.

Lunchtime → After School

Music: Tokyo Emergency

No surprise, waiting is pretty boring… I wonder what Ryuji and the rest are up to?

We should go on a trip or something. Whaddya think?

Sorry, I can’t. I’m going to be visiting Shiho in the hospital for a while. But maybe we can go somewhere once things calm down.
>Understandable. Have a nice day.

It sounds like we won’t be able to see Lady Ann after school for a while. How unfortunate… You should work on your Kindness. That way, you can say something encouraging next time you see her!

They flipped out over that calling card too. I didn’t think they’d feel that strongly about it.
(Calm Student) The volleyball players seem anxious too. Are they still being held in their classrooms?
Could that calling card be true? You think Mr. Kamoshida will confess to doing something awful?

Kamoshida is a bad man, but even he’d never go that far.

Mr. Kamoshida hasn’t been coming to school lately… What does this mean for us…?

(Energetic First-Year) That’s not good. This school’s nothing without him. Everyone seems so down. Speaking of, did you hear about that weird message?
You mean the random letter to him? It’s totally out of jealousy for the teacher. He’s famous and popular…
It’s bad to stand out too much. Yoshizawa-san may be in danger as well. An honor student and really good at sports… There are definitely people who are jealous of her.
So she’s gonna start being harassed like Mr. Kamoshida…? Wow, I feel bad. People at this school suck…

(Intense Soccer Player) But I can’t focus during practice. Too much commotion over that suicide attempt and calling card.
What’s that “confess your crimes” thing all about? Did he really physically punish his students?
They may not be our teammates, but we all go to the same school. I hope they’ll be all right.

Hehe, I can’t blame you for not getting how cool it is. Heroes are just in a league of their own… “I’ll steal your distorted desires and make you confess your sins…” Guhh, so cool! I get so fired up whenever I say it!

Hehe, yeah. I guess you wouldn’t know. It must be lonely, being a hero and cooler than everyone. “I’ll steal your distorted desires and make you confess your sins…” Guhh, so cool! I get so fired up whenever I say it!

(Kind Faculty Member) H-Hey, now. I can’t do something like that. He just suddenly called in sick, and I’m really worried about him. What happened to Mr. Kamoshida?

It’s been one day. Is it really that worrying for him to take a sick day? Holy poo poo.

You’re a teacher and you don’t know? Do people even notice when you’re around? That’s hilarious!

Was he really involved in doing shady stuff? Did something happen with the volleyball team?
(Female Volleyball Player) N-Not really. I’m sure he’s just a bit fatigued… He was always so enthusiastic when it came to club activities or that honor student…

I don’t want to hear about Kamoshida being enthusiastic about the honor student, yikes.

(Gentle Male Student) “Phantom Thieves” aside, it’ll be huge if what that calling card says is all true.
(Refined Male Student) Someone actually declared war against a teacher. I’ll admit that really takes guts.
Haha, yeah, I agree. But it’s probably just a prank.

(Bothered Student) Come to think of it, Kamoshida’s absent today, huh? Luckily, we got a study period because of that.

Let’s return our book so we can get another.

We’re not actually going to study today, but I accidentally examined the study area and thus needed to show the tutorial! Oops!

And on top of that, we have midterms coming up after the break. I wonder how next semester is going to go…
She must be really focused… She didn’t notice me at all.

Bye, Makoto!

I guess we just gotta wait and see what happens… Oh, I’m gonna be doin’ some trainin’ today. You wanna come with? I’d prolly just slack off by myself… I mean, it’s better workin’ with a partner, yeah?

Awesome, man. Get changed and meet me behind the gym.

I was trainin’ for nationals back in the day… but now I totally suck balls.

And, uh… third guy!

Music: Suspicion

(Takeishi) We’re not gonna take you back after the poo poo you pulled, so don’t even bother.
This was your secret training spot, right? Get lost. It belongs to us now. The *former* track team.
We don’t even have a locker room anymore. Whose fault was that again?
And isn’t this that transfer student? You’re hanging out with this loser? I’ll give you some advice, transfer: he’ll stab you in the back.
Yeah! He’ll hit you if you piss him off. Just like his dad did to him!

Shut up rear end in a top hat, you don’t even have name privileges!

That’s got nothing to do with…
It’s fine, Ryuji. You’ve taken worse.

…Yeah.
……
Look, back then, I…

I don’t want your drat excuses. You betrayed every one of us when you hit Kamoshida. We were all taking the same poo poo, but we put up with it for the team. And you ruined it! You made it all worthless! You were never really my teammate.

This is honestly a really hosed attitude and I’m not sure the extent to which the game realizes this!

I haven’t changed at all…

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

But thanks for helpin’ me calm down there… I’m glad you were here for me.

Alright, got Ryuji’s follow-up attack.

What!? The hell’s your problem!?

Now they’re just arguing with each other… I should stay out of it. Anyways, nice trainin’ with you.

For that event, we chose the responses: 1 (+2), 2 (+2).

I get pissed off so drat easily. I really gotta work on that.

Besides, I can’t cause a scene. Don’t wanna get you pulled into even more bad poo poo.

Aww, Ryuji…

Huh… I gotta wonder what they were arguin’ about. …But hey, I’m an outside. Nothin’ to do with me. Thanks again for today!

After School → Evening

And I told her we settled things with Kamoshida. She still hasn’t regained consciousness… but I had to go make amends.

It wasn’t your fault in the first place.

But I failed her… I have to make up for not being there for her.
I’m impressed by your passion. Didn’t know you had it in you.
It’s because of all of you. Let’s keep helping each other from now on.

Something I wanna ask you. C’mere, let’s have a chat.

Something deeply terrifying about those words. They darkly resonate through my very soul.

On these irregularly broadcast specials, we share limited-edition items that are all the rage! Today, we’re going to talk about Recover Oil! It’s very popular among young women, and it’s on sale now at Body Chop!
(Pundit) Oh, I think there’s a Body Chop in the underground mall in Shibuya. I’ve always had a weakness for limited-time goods. I’m starting to want some Recover Oil myself.

I never actually showed this one in the original LP! Well, here it is.

Care to have a little chat with me? What, it’s just some small talk.

This is a trick! You’re going to lower my guard with conversation and then evict me when I least expect it!
C’mon, it’ll be fun.
You’re not denying it!!!

Good. There’s a lot of things I want to ask you. I’ll clean up, so just wait there.

Music: Alleycat

You’re not causing any trouble, are you?

Why did I *agree* to get grilled?
C’mon, just tell me.
Fine. Almost got expelled, but I worked it out. Things seem fine for now.
Never a straight answer with you.

I’ve got to report to your probation officer twice a month. It’s already a pain in the rear end as is, so please don’t make me have to write even more crap.

Don’t go causing problems for other people. They have more important things to do than cleaning up messes idiots like you cause.

Sojirooooooo! Are you ever coming back!?

Yeah, I’m heading out now. Sorry about that.

Remember to pick up my Mountain Dew! I need the gamer fuel for my tantrums!

…I know. The usual, right?

Yes! Thank you!

Okay. I’ll see you later.

If you could lend a hand, it’d really be a great help…

I thought you didn’t want me to bother you… Oh, I see. This is why you took me in, for slave labor. I get it.
That’s not quite what I—
Say no more. What do you need?
Thanks for the enthusiasm, but you won’t be working for free, exactly…
Oh, then for exposure? I’m not really sure if that’s much of a commodity in the barista economy, but it’s not much of a commodity anywhere else either, so whatever.
Not that either. I’ll teach you to make the perfect cup of coffee. How’s that for a trade?
Unorthodox to the point of near-worthlessness, but… intriguing. I’m in.

All right. Looks like we’ve got ourselves a deal.

Who taught you to make a caramel macchiato? Where’d you get those delicious beans, degenerate? I ordered my cappucino ten minutes ago, where is it!?

Music: The Spirit

I’ll be counting on your help.

Gotta say, I’m glad you catch on quick with this stuff. Makes my life a lot easier. Just keep doing what you can. And don’t cause any trouble, right?

Ha, he’s suspicious but we still get points.

Eh, I guess it doesn’t matter, long as you get what I’m saying. Anyhow, don’t forget to lock the place up. And don’t go too crazy with the stuff in the shop. You’re staying here rent-free, so you should know not to go overboard. All right, see you tomorrow.

Daytime

I forgot this TV doesn’t have a tuner, so we can’t check from here!

I often come here to work. I’m a film critic, you know. I turn my thoughts to the films crafted by legends, all the while enjoying a fine cup of coffee…

Maaku, we spent the entire previous LP establishing that no one understands your sarcasm. Probably because you don’t actually have a voice.

Hahaha. There’s no need for you to feel intimidated. Here, in this café, you and I are equals.

See!?

Please, feel free to come and talk whenever you see me here. You’re young, so I’m sure it must be incredibly valuable to converse with such a deep thinker.

:jerkbag:

Well, I’ll be going home then.

Here’s what we’ve got for you today!
Oh, so this is the shopping channel that everyone’s been talking about.

It comes with: 1 Caffeine Patch, 10 Wide Eye Drops, and… 10 Hot and Sour Tea! What an incredible deal! But that’s not all we’ve got! Here’s our next set, the Share of Spring Set! It’s great for those who are concerned about their health and stamina! 5 Sakura Mochi, 1 Spring Fruit Pack, and… 1 Party in a Can! All in one!
(Female Host) Wow! They’re both such great items, I can’t decide which one to get!
(Male Host) All right! This is a limited item! Today’s the one and only day it’ll be available! And of course, the price is just right! You won’t see this kind of deal ever again!
(Female Host) Oh, the phones are already ringing off the hook!
(Male Host) Only a few remaining! Now’s your final chance to buy, buy, buy!

Infernal capitalism, imposing your artificial scarcity…

The Sakura Mochi from the Share of Spring Set restore SP, so we go for that. Unlike in the original game we have a choice between two items, something that was also the case in Persona 4's iteration of the shopping channel.

(Male Host) We’ll try to get your order to you as quickly as possible! Goodbye for now! We’ll see you again next time with another fabulous product!
(Female Host) Goodbye for now!
Now all we have to do is wait for it to arrive.

Music: Tokyo Daylight

One neat thing added in Royal is this cat sitting on top of Leblanc’s sign. You can just barely see it in this picture, but it’s there, right on top of the blue thing next to the entrance.

When you get close, it’ll scurry away.

That’s it. Well, I thought it was cool, anyway…

Now it is time for the return of the scourge. Yes, I’m talking about the dreaded aojiru, here to sap our will and also sap 5000 yen from our wallet once a week.

Maaku gains Charm +1.

Yet the investigation into the cause bears no progress! This is evidence of the power behind them!
Don’t bow down to the oppressive authority that deceives you all! Break free from its subjugation!
Yes! YES! I, the Sun God, will protect you all, blessing you with peace and security!

What are your thoughts on all the recent accidents that seem to have no explanation?

Do you hear what he’s saying? He’s interested to see what the response will be. He’s expressing doubt in the Japanese government. And that’s all for our on-the-spot coverage.

Someone remake Nightcrawler but with these two assholes.

That’s why I’ve poured my soul into this song—to help restore our hope. I give you… “Metropolitan Fire”!

As we fall deeper into darkness/
We gotta light a fire for the world/
Fire say hello to the modern city/
Fire say goodbye to the countryside/
Light a fire in your hearts now/
Let this music spark the flame (Ow!)

Thanks, bay-bee! Could you feel the passion of my soul?

Yeeeaaah, I was! The whole city is on fire from my rock!

(Laid-Back College Student) The membership fee was pretty expensive… But considering I can watch however much I want, it’s a bargain.
And now you don’t have to worry about late payments. I’m definitely one of those people who forget to pay on time.
Speaking of which, you haven’t paid me back the money you borrowed…
Oh, okay. You’re gonna go there, huh?

Hey, check out that ad. They have an annual membership campaign.

Let’s get that membership.

(Rental Shop Worker) Welcome! Would you like to paply for our annual membership? If you’re a student, it’s 4,800 yen during our campaign! Rent all the old DVDs you want with no extension fee! You can only rent one at a time, though.
We’re pretty busy, so not having to worry about extension fees is awesome! If you have the money, maybe you should sign up?

Again, late fees have been completely removed, because they were fake anyway. Now there’s just an upfront cost of 4800 yen (and you can only rent one DVD at a time). Still, it’s a neat change.

(Rental Shop Worker) Thank you very much! May I see your student ID? You live in… Yongen-Jaya… Now just sign here… All set!

Of course I was worried! This deal is so good, I thought this was some elaborate entrapment scheme!

(Rental Shop Worker) Since you’re a member now, you can borrow DVDs starting today! All right, then… Welcome! What can I do for you?

Let’s rent Bubbly Hills, 90210 and bounce.

The ladies have their guard up with all that weird stuff going on, but… I haven’t lost my touch.
(Novice Pick-Up Artist) Amazing. You’re at a completely different level…
If you want phone numbers, then strengthen your resolve. It’s all over once you give up!

We’re going to buy two more Bio Nutrients for our plant, just for the future.

Next, the theater.

It’s Slumdog Millionaire yadda yadda, I already made fun of the weird accent in the last LP.

Maaku gains Guts +3.

And we rank up!

It’s just been one bizarre incident after another this year…
Our country is going to hell!
Aren’t there any honest politicians out there…?
How can I have hope in a country like this?

>Negatory. What’s up?

I dunno, I’m just feeling kinda anxious. I keep thinking about how even with all you did… we might still end up getting expelled. My mom’s totally gonna suffer if that happens… Plus, if we couldn’t even help Ann or Suzui…

>It’s too early to panic.
Sorry, you’re right. I’m feeling better now that I’ve got this off my chest. Just… don’t tell Ann I was worrying, all right? See ya.

More or less.

…I see. You’re the only one here at night, so I’m not gonna bother setting a curfew or anything like that. So long as you’re taking school seriously, I don’t mind if you stroll the streets in the evenings.

Sweet! Coffee Dad is being lenient for once!

But only around these parts, got it? You go back on your word. I’ll kick you out.

A *bit* lenient, anyway.

Let’s immediately take advantage of this by heading to the bathhouse.

Sunday baths mean larger Charm boosts. This was a Monday and Thursday thing in the original, but now it's Sunday.

Maaku gains Charm +3.

And another rank up!

Line Changes!!!!

After leaving the Palace, “Suguru Kamoshida was a scum.” has become “We all know Suguru Kamoshida is scum.” That was one of the worst lines in the game before!

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 1, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Seems like they could've just added "bag" to the end of that statement and maybe change "was" to "is", but the new sentence isn't bad either.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I ended up having to go way back and add a line into Chapter 14:

Arist posted:

Also worth pointing out that Punk Talk has changed from its form in the original game. Where before it just gave you a random chance for a second go at negotiation if you pissed off a Shadow, here it only works on upbeat Shadows, presumably in exchange for a higher proc rate.

Which is whatever, I just feel the need to point this out because we'll be seeing more skills like it later. Also, update coming hopefully this weekend, if not it's because I'm both very busy and very tired due to classwork and busting up my big toe yesterday!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I don’t want your drat excuses. You betrayed every one of us when you hit Kamoshida. We were all taking the same poo poo, but we put up with it for the team. And you ruined it! You made it all worthless! You were never really my teammate.

This is honestly a really hosed attitude and I’m not sure the extent to which the game realizes this!

Huh I feel like this is a reference to a book I know about, but it works there with context but it is "hosed" here without it.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Flair posted:

Huh I feel like this is a reference to a book I know about, but it works there with context but it is "hosed" here without it.

Which book is this, or am I getting woosh'd?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I know they more than likely localized the dvd titles for the the english release but man i wanna think how confusing Bubbly Hills 90210 must have been for the Japanese :allears:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Gen. Ripper posted:

Which book is this, or am I getting woosh'd?

Run with the Wind. It is still "hosed" in a sense, but the difference is show and tell with a holistic perspective.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Flair posted:

Run with the Wind. It is still "hosed" in a sense, but the difference is show and tell with a holistic perspective.

Interesting, could you elaborate or would that be too spoilery?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Shame Boy posted:

I know they more than likely localized the dvd titles for the the english release but man i wanna think how confusing Bubbly Hills 90210 must have been for the Japanese :allears:

Actually it's the same joke, apparently Beverly Hills 90210 got aired and even dubbed over there. In fact they all appear to be the same joke (adjusted for the Japanese show title) and whoever made the list loves US TV I guess.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Polsy posted:

Actually it's the same joke, apparently Beverly Hills 90210 got aired and even dubbed over there. In fact they all appear to be the same joke (adjusted for the Japanese show title) and whoever made the list loves US TV I guess.

Japan fuckin loves american drama shows. Especially DVD rental places like that.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Gen. Ripper posted:

Interesting, could you elaborate or would that be too spoilery?

It would be spoilers, but it is more or less the same subplot.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The anime version of Run With The Wind was absolutely sublime and is a must-watch if you're even only a little bit interested in sports shows, by the way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 20: 4/25-4/28: Sojiro Dreams Of Coffee

This update covers Parts 17, 18, and 19 of the original LP.

Early Morning

That doesn’t sound like a real thing for anyone except Ken Jennings.

They were showing this movie called Tanktop Millionaire at the theater on Central Street…
(Skeptical Girl) You mean the one where a boy rises from rags to riches by winning on a quiz show? Sheesh, you get way too into those stories… How about studying for exams before you think about quiz shows?
Oof… You got me there…
Sounds like that movie can change your worldview… Watching movies in the theater sounds like a special experience. What kind of movies do you like?

I get you. They’re just so cathartic to watch! When I turn back into a human, it might not be so bad to make our debut on the silver screen… Either way, we should check out the theater every now and then, since they’re always showing new films.

Early Morning → Morning

Ah poo poo, getting cussed out by the teacher for bad booklearnin’.

“I could care less indicates that you still have some cares left to give! It’s, “I COULDN’T care less!”

Someone on the localization team really hates that phrase, huh?

I’ve seen this a lot these days, where people are using a phrase differently from its real meaning. It reminds me of something I’ve been hearing politicians saying: “My country, right or wrong.” They wouldn’t be saying it so stubbornly if they knew how it was originally used…

Huh!? Oh, uh, yeah! I mean—
Hey, Lady Ann is obviously panicking! Be a good guy and help her out!

Crap—Hey, Maaku, can you give me a hint here? What’s that phrase originally meant to convey? “My country, right or wrong”?

I can hear you punks whispering.

Oh, right! Like, it doesn’t matter what they do—you’ll always support it. But the original meaning is different? So I guess it’d be something like…

The phrase was originally meant to inspire you to take responsibility for keeping your country on the right path. The full quote is, “My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong to be set right.” So you can see the original was more about taking personal responsibility for your country’s future. Unfortunately, these days it’s used more to justify blind support instead of actually fixing social issues…

We earn this useless point with Ann. It’s useless because we don’t need a point to rank up between ranks 1 and 2. This is also the only event of its type in the game to my recollection. Weird.

Nice! Lady Ann seems really relieved!

Maaku gains Charm +1.

Yep, Charm. Because we helped Ann, I guess.

Morning → After School

That place also has a limited item sold only on rainy days. It’s called Dipped Katsu Sando.
(Foodie Girl) The sandwich I had there… It was sooo delicious. Isn’t it so convenient that Yon-Germain is located in Shibuya Station.
Wowww, I didn’t know they had a limited-time bread sold only on rainy days. I’ll go when it rains!

I’d love to get my hands on one of those sandwiches. Might even bring my girlfriend.

Let’s head into the Velvet Room real quick.

Music: Aria of the Soul

We’re just here to fuse this Mokoi to have a Death Persona. We fuse it from Berith and Genbu.

Once we’ve done that, we resummon Berith and leave.

(Dog-Loving Girl) That’s ‘cause we’re friends. We’ll play together forever, right, Kotaro?
(Lazy Dog) Woof!
Come on, let’s go. That anime you like is going to start soon. Oh, they may cancel it because of the news. There’s going to be a feature on the accidents…

Music: Butterfly Kiss

Or at least some good old-fashioned caffeine in my system…

I should suggest a clinical trial…
You came because you saw my messages, right?

I developed a new medicine. Could you come to the back?

In that case, I’m going to start setting up, so go wait in the examination room.

I adjusted it based on the previous results. Go on, drink it all.

It smells like cough syrup and tastes like death… It’s an overwhelming sensation. It’s getting hard to breathe…

What a splendid reaction. You’re feeling dazed? That would be the… special components I added. Now, I need to run some tests. I’ll be drawing blood as well.
I dunno if I can stand up, lady…
That’s all right. You don’t need to be conscious for this. We’re in the final stages, so I should stabilize the formula…

I’m in the middle of this examination, officer. I’ve told you before that you need a warrant.
(Arrogant Officer) Hmph! We received a report of some malfeasance on your part. I’ll need to see a full statement of your medical expenses and patient records. Not enough time to hide those, I bet?
…The Medical Chief of Staff is harassing me again, eh? Whatever. Here’s what you asked for.

Huh…?
This kid here is my only patient today.

Please… help me…
Ignore him.

If you’re asking for his medical expenses, I’m guessing I’m under suspicion of improper billing? But without a receipt, I’d say you’ve been sent on a wild goose chase.
Wh-What’s going on here?

You’ve been manipulated into harassing me. Whoever sent that “report” lied.

What!?

You don’t seem to be sick… Are you up to something illegal!?

I’m not a Phantom Thief! I mean, uh, I have… narcolepsy?
That’s not true, he’s just stressed about taking his entrance exams. I have some drugs that are helping him relax.
Wait, why did he lie?
I get nervous around cops, cop.

So, is there anything else? As you can see, I’m pretty busy here.
…Fine. You’re infuriating, you know that? Hmph… but I’d expect nothing less from the “Plague.”

*sigh* I’m so over this…

Should I be nervous about you getting regular visits from the police? And what’s this “Plague” business…?

It’s nothing to worry about. I’m sure it was my former superior who made that false report. You eavesdropped on our conversation the other day, remember? He’s just trying to put pressure on me… by having the police investigate me and my practice.

…It’s part of our “deal,” remember?

I guess I have no choice…
I like kids who listen to their superiors. Enjoy your medicine.
It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing even deeper…

…Only kidding. Okay, please lie down. You can go home once I’m done.
I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts

Maaku gains Guts +1.

All right, take care…

For that event, we picked options 1 (+2), 1 (+2).

I feel a chill run down my spine at the sound of those words…

You still seemed kind of dizzy when you left, so I figured I’d check in. You know how it is. Some patients get sick on their way back home.

Really regretting not picking option 3 here.

*nods*

She can’t loving see you nod over the phone, dude.

…I think you’ll be okay, but call me if you start feeling sick. Okay, I’m looking forward to our next clinical trial.

After School → Evening

There’s a laundromat next to the bathhouse, right? If we’ve got spare time, maybe we could wash them.

No, that’s a waste of time.

Must be what you ordered off the TV.

If you’re up for it, why don’t you learn how to work here…

So you do get it. All right, put your stuff down and come back here. It’s about time one of the regulars arrives. She’s a talkative one…

Music: What’s Going On?

You do know what I’m talking about right?

I was not informed there would be a quiz. Hm… Is it making coffee? You know, one of the two things you seem to serve here?

Yup. Glad to see you at least understand that much.

Ah, coffee. The delicious brown energy nectar. Soon I will master you, and society shall tremble.
Is this how kids are these days?

This store’s not the busiest around, but I’m real particular about how we do things here. And I’ll kick you out no questions asked if you serve a bad cup, you got that?

It goes so well with his special curry, I can’t help but order the set every time.

I see… The hot spiciness of the curry really accentuates the hot bitterness of the coffee… How odd.

What can I say, each of my regulars gets an experience personally tailored to them.

What? No they don’t! You just gave her the same thing you give everyone else!
Shut the gently caress up dude, I got a good thing going here.

Can you tell me the key to that wonderful flavor, So-chan? I’d love to make it at home sometime.
Sorry, that’s a trade secret. You’re free to try and guess based on the taste though.

The secret ingredient is love. No, actually it’s the dust from the bottom of Futaba’s bags of Doritos. Real “you got your chocolate in my peanut butter” situation there.

Cheapskate. Keeping secrets from me even though you know your food’s already stolen my heart…
How about a nice dessert then? It’s only three hundred yen.

How are you making any money at all here, Sojiro? Gotta mark that poo poo up!

*leaves*

When you run a shop, you get all sorts of customers. Knowing their personalities is absolutely vital. That’s what being in food service is all about.

Welco—

You…
(Cheerful Elderly Man) Hello there! It’s been quite a while, Sakura-san! I heard you opened up a shop, so here I am! It wouldn’t have hurt to mention it to me though. Huh, you’ve got a real nice location here. Right by the station and everything.

Your order?
No small talk? That’s cold. Oh, but this smell… Sure brings back memories! You’re still making that curry, huh? I guess you haven’t gotten over her yet…
Your order, sir?
Haha, so pushy. I just stopped in to say hi today… but I’ll be back again soon! Bye.

Ugh… I don’t know where he caught wind of this place.

A suspicious stranger comes calling suddenly… Another piece of Sojiro’s elusive past falls into place…
Suspicious is right… guess you have a good eye after all.

Anyway, if you have time for questions, you have time to be learning about bean types. You’re not gonna be any use to me if you can’t pick up on the ABCs sometime soon.

ABC: A, Always, B, Bean, C, Closing! What does it mean? Nothing at all! I lost the plot on that one immediately.
*furiously taking notes*

Besides, ladies love a guy who knows his coffee. This isn’t such a bad deal for you.

I want the love! Give me the love! I’m so lonely!!!

Heh, if only you were this obedient all the time. Either way, I’m gonna teach you right. That way I’ll be able to sit back and relax while you work.
I feel like my bond with Sojiro is growing deeper…

We’ve re-unlocked coffee brewing! :toot:

Let’s start closing up. And no slacking off, you got it?
After learning about customer service from Sojiro, I feel like my Kindness has improved…

Maaku gains Kindness +2.

We chose options 1 (+2), 2 (+2), 1 (+2).

I forgot to ask for your cell number, so I had to dig it out of your papers. A real hassle, let me tell you.

It took you this long to think, “Hey, I might need my tenant’s phone number”?

Anyway, you done closing up yet? I’m gonna have you handle that from now on, so you better learn how. Seems like you’re a quick study, so I hope you’ve got the hang of it.

…But man. Not sure how I feel about calling up a guy’s phone.

Sojiro rules, he sucks so much, I love him

Anyhow, we’ll get the routine ground into you. That way, I might be able to take it easy. All right, don’t stay up too late.

Early Morning

How do you like being packed in like sardines, city-style? I bet you’ve had enough.

I get anxious unless I’m doing something, yet here I am suddenly with nothing to do. It’s so awful just waiting for the results, isn’t it? It’s so worrying…

You too, huh, Maaku? Of course you are. Sorry for asking such a weird question. I guess all we can do is wait… I wonder how Shiho’s condition is too.

I’m already sick of “I guess all we can do is wait.” This bodes poorly for the rest of this LP.

Man, all this heavy talk first thing in the morning! Both of us need to switch gears, Maaku.

Early Morning → After School

No.

There’s other people around, but… your Guts might improve because of it.

We’re staying inside and studying today.

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Maaku gains Knowledge +1. Due to the rampant distractions, studying in the library only yields 1 point of Knowledge for us, though it’s supplemented with the point of Guts. This is, in fact, another new rebalance to the earlygame in addition to the diner being unavailable. We have much less available in terms of easy sources of Knowledge with those two changes.

After School → Evening

All right, time to do some work for the chief. I’m sure he’ll appreciate it.

This is actually minor mistake I’m making right here by choosing to clean up, but it shouldn’t really matter. I’ll go into why it was a mistake in a bit.

We get a point with Sojiro for cleaning up here. We now have enough points to get us to the next rank!

I’m going home now. Don’t break anything in the store, got it?

Music: Everyday Days

Hmm. That posture… Looking good! You’re cleaning like a pro!

Thinking about the customers and cleaning the store probably helped to increase your Kindness, no?

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

That took longer than I expected. We should go to bed once we clean up the rest.

Early Morning

We had an amazing conversation after I brought up some of the stuff I read about! We’re gonna go out somewhere together soon!
(Calm Student) Well, don’t get ahead of yourself because it happened to go well. Look, Knowledge isn’t enough. You need Proficiency to adapt on the fly. You also need Kindness to be accepted and Guts to be honest and direct. Plus Charm, to draw people to you. The quality of your character says a lot about you, so it’s important to better yourself every day.
Really? But it takes so much work… But I’ll do it, if it means I’ll get a girlfriend!

POPULARITY LEADS TO INTIMACY, VINNY!

I guess I’ll start by showering every day. I hear girls prefer a dude who’s hygenic.

…Dude.

Hey, this applies to you too.

Working hard helps build confidence. It’s all about getting experience. Think you can get by on luck alone? Think again!

C’mon, let’s go! We’re gonna be late!

Early Morning → Morning

People are theorizing that it’s these sudden psychotic breakdowns, but the cause is still unknown… Well, unexplained occurrences like these are commonplace in the world of math. For instance… Hamiru-san. Please look at this.

Do you know the name of the theorem named after this number?

This is baby poo poo for babies. I’m insulted you’d even ask.

That’s correct. I suppose the four color theorem is common sense.

Many people have realized this principle based on experience since ancient times. However, it’s difficult to prove, and was an unsolved problem for a long time.

My heart hurts just thinking about the economic losses this string of incidents has caused.

Usami’s got her priorities in order, I see.

The world’s full of dangers, huh? I guess even the world outside the school is no good, either.

Morning → After School

No rank up today.

Mkay, go get changed. We’re gonna do some joggin’ today.

Welp, seeya.

After School → Evening

(Reporter) Are you seeing these cherry blossoms? This place is currently very popular among families and couples alike!
(Pundit) You’ll also find people going on runs or sketching. It’s a great place to relax.

There’s a crossword available, so let’s do it. We can also look over the trivia from old crosswords we’ve completed.

You brewing coffee? Let me check the taste. Try brewing one now. We’ll talk after that.

Yep, we need to get Sojiro’s opinion of our coffee at least once before we can get him to Rank 3. This is why it was a waste of time cleaning up yesterday; we should have spent that time making coffee, which also would have increased our Sojiro Points™.

He’s testing you on your café training. Are you confident in your skills?

Hell yeah, cat!

Looks like you got everything you need to make some coffee… Let’s see what we can brew.

Are you going to try making some coffee?

You know how to brew coffee? Help yourself to the beans on the shelves. I’ll show you how each kind of bean is different later. All right, I’m headin’ out to buy some cigarettes…

The way you’re drinking it makes it look delicious.

Maybe if you drink it in the Metaverse, it’ll heal your wounds too.

Heh heh… Looks like the chief’s gentlemanly charm is rubbing off on you.

Maaku gains Charm +1. The point of Charm is new!

Looks like you’re doing well. Here, let me have a sip.

You used Blue Mountain, huh…

It seems like you’re following all the rules and instructions I gave you.

……

People would treat you with respect if they knew you could serve great coffee. We should rest now, we have a big day tomorrow.

No we don’t.

Early Morning

Music: Beneath the Mask -Rain (Instrumental Version)

*sad whaddup* is Big Me Energy and I love it

He had a change of heart for real, didn’t he? It’s kinda hard to believe right now… I’m gonna cry if we still get expelled after all this.

I would’ve been super disappointed if you told me to calm down and wait or something.

Trap dodged.

Oh yeah! You free today? If you got nothing to do, come see me after school. It’s not like I got something to say, but I find talkin’ helps the nerves.

Early Morning → After School

You wanna grab some ramen? I’ll show you my go-to place.

Anyways, it’s in Ogikubo, so let’s take the train over there.

I tried my best but I could not manage to make a Space Patrol Luluco joke here. I apologize for any inconvenience.

You guys remember hangout spots, right? We invite our Confidants to places they enjoy and get a fun little knick-knack out of it to decorate our room! Unfortunately… I do not think I got a single tchotchke in my original run of Royal. I just never needed to take anyone anywhere, in part because I’m fuckin’ good at this game and know how to optimize my time really well by now, but also because I think the game is less structured around requiring it? Unfortunately, that means no Rise poster. At least, not for a long, long loving time. Trust me, no one is more disappointed about this than I am.

Ahhh! I love the feelin’ of noodles slidin’ down my throat! Sweat drippin’ over my face! This poo poo’s the best, man! Ramen is life! Light soup like this really gets your body goin’ again after a good run, y’know. We used to come all the way out here after practice and…

You’re talking like we just went for a sprint, Ryuji, but from your earlier dialogue it seems like we headed straight here.

Uh, I guess that’s all in the past… By the way, I’ve seen Nakaoka around a few times… But for some reason it don’t look like he’s gettin’ along with the
others.

Oh? You worried?
Yeah… I’ve been thinkin’ about what they said the other day… The whole team was putting up with Kamoshida, and I effed it all up… Maybe he was right. They have to store their stuff behind the gym because they don’t eve have a club room, and they can’t use school gear so they just run laps around the block…
…Ryuji, that’s total bullshit. You were being harassed and abused. Dude broke your loving leg! He would have found a reason to shut you down anyway! And having to put up with that poo poo “for the good of the team” is stupid! The team was not worth more than you were, dumbass, and gently caress those dudes for not seeing that!

…There ain’t really a place for outcasts like that. I should know that better than anyone…

Make a whole big speech and he doesn’t even hear it…

It’s good they’re keepin’ their heads low now though. I don’t want ‘em endin’ up like me.

Like you? Ryuji, you beat up mind monsters with a length of pipe. You’re hardcore as poo poo.

…Y’know what? You’re right. I guess now that I’m thinkin’ about it, tryin’ to fit in is a real pain in the rear end. I mean, I’d never’ve met you guys if I wasn’t an outcast, right? So, uh… it’s all good.

For real though, it’s been a poo poo ton of fun! Hangin’ out with you guys is so freakin’ cool!

I feel like my bond with Ryuji is growing deeper…

Ooh, this is new. Shadows won’t be as easily alerted by us loving sprinting through Palaces without a care in the world.

Though it’d prolly mess ‘em up if I tried to butt in… Oh yeah, we still gotta find a new spot for our trainin’. Hm… I’ll think about it. No slackin’ off ‘til then, mkay? Later, dude.

For that event, we chose options: 2 (+2), 1 (+3).

After School → Evening

Then you clean up. I’m going to finish preparing the curry.

Hey, how’s it going? You getting any better at remembering how to handle different bean types?
*nod*
Now then… there are three factors that determine the flavor for a cup of coffee: grind, heat, and time. First up is the grind. For the siphons we use here, we’re aiming for medium-fine.

Right. Keep up the good work.

It is bafflingly easy to impress you.

It doesn’t net much profit given the effort it takes, but hey, money is money. I’m not gonna forgive you if you serve our customers crap coffee though. Just remember that.

…How’d you get this number? …… Now? Where? …… …Fine.

What, you got a hot date? You always imply you’re getting tail left and right, but I’ve never seen any evidence of this.
She lives in Hokkaido. You wouldn’t know her.

Hokkaido is Japanese Canada, right? That makes sense outside of my diseased brain? Whatever.

…It’s nothing you need to concern yourself over. Just do the dishes while I’m gone. Oh, and remember to shut off the gas before you close up shop.

Okay, you’re being too trusting, now I’m actually worried.

It’s nice having someone around to help at times like this. Turns out you’re actually a harder worker than I thought. Keep it up.
I feel like my bond with Sojiro is growing deeper…

For that event, we chose options: 1 (+2), 2 (+2).

Sorry about earlier. Had to take care of some business. But don’t worry, I’ll put you to work. We’ve got lots of time on our hands.

Well, as long as you help out and do your part, I’ll treat you fairly.

*nod*

I just told you to stop doing that!

Well, just make sure you turn off the stove before you head to bed.

Oh, fu—I mean, already done.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'd say Hokkaido is the Japanese Alaska

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

Many people have realized this principle based on experience since ancient times. However, it’s difficult to prove, and was an unsolved problem for a long time.

Fun fact! (...shut up, I like it) this was the first computer-assisted proof. They figured out how to break the problem down into a large-but-finite number of arrangements, and then went through each one using four colors to fill it in. This was highly controversial at the time, and is generally considered an unsatisfying type of proof because it doesn't introduce logic or techniques to be used in other areas (though the methods used to get to the "just crunch it" point can still do so), but these days it's much more common.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

We earn this useless point with Ann. It’s useless because we don’t need a point to rank up between ranks 1 and 2. This is also the only event of its type in the game to my recollection. Weird.

I am pretty sure this is a new event in Royal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Flair posted:

I am pretty sure this is a new event in Royal.

It is. Well, it kind of is. There's an equivalent event in the vanilla release but instead of being about "my country, right or wrong" it's about the correct meaning of "kakushinhan" and instead of helping Ann you're answering the question yourself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do remember having several of those moments throughout the game.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arist posted:

Heh.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

I am now sad that I never saw funky student's persona.

Arist posted:

I tried my best but I could not manage to make a Space Patrol Luluco joke here. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Too bad Akechi was not the one who invited Maaku to Ogikubo, or else, there would be a conversation about JUSTICE.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

whaddup :sigh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 21: 4/29-5/2: Confess Your Heart Out

This update covers Part 19 of the original LP.

Daytime

We have the day off from school today, which is a real pain in my rear end because I wanted to get a Yakisoba Pan from the school store after we were prevented last week due to the boss fight. We won’t need that Yakisoba Pan for a good while, but I’m liable to just plain forget about it, so the sooner we take care of it, the better. loving Showa Day, whatever the hell that is!!! :argh:

(Elderly Female Customer) Oh, it’ll be so busy and crowded everywhere. I hope another accident doesn’t happen.
Yeah, no one’s been able to figure out the cause behind that. That kinda makes me feel uneasy.

He cares. He’ll just never admit it.

The original Detective Prince was Naoto Shirogane, but people are excited about this new one!
(Panelist) My daughter’s a big fan of the new Detective Prince. He’s a sleuth in high school and sooo handsome!

Don’t forget, I’m also a dangerous sociopath!

Let’s go hang out with Takemi.

I refined the medicine from the other day a bit. Could you come to the back?

I’m going to start setting up then. Head into the examination room.

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

Hmm, eyes are focused, no reaction yet…

It tastes like burning…

There we go! It’s just as unpleasant as I intended! It took longer than expected for it to kick in because of your weight, however… have you considered dieting, tubby? Nevertheless, excellent results for a teenage specimen!

An emergency? Sorry, but our only bed is occupied.
What? No, it isn’t.
(to Maaku) I’m playing it safe. There’s a 35% chance you keel over in the next five minutes, considering what you just drank.

…Besides, the head physician here is Tae Takemi.

>What was that about?
Oh, he basically just called the wrong number. An ambulance driver was looking for a transfer location. All the designated hospitals are full. But to think they’d accidentally call a general practitioner… Must’ve been a new paramedic.

I’m slightly more concerned about the fact that he hung up when he heard your name…
Right… Even that newbie had heard of me…

I’ve been blacklisted by the larger medical community. They call me the Plague… due to a grave medical error I made.

Medical error…? How, uh… how concerned should I be, exactly?
It’s related to my old job at a university hospital in the city… I was never convicted, but I’m still a pariah in the medical industry.

…Does that scare you? Participating in clinical trials run by a doctor like that?

Lady, you just said the two magic words: “never convicted”! I’m sure it’s fine. That said, I am still afraid of you for unrelated reasons.
You’re seriously a weird kid. But whatever. This ostracism has given me a lot of freedom to focus on developing this drug.

Regardless, I look forward to working with you. I’ll be sure to add some additional “medicine” for you, my little guinea pig.

It feels like my bond with Takemi is growing deeper…

All right, more medicine!

Huh? One order of teriyaki chicken?

…You’re all good for today. You can go home now. Come again soon, if you’re still alive.
I feel like cooperating in that shady clinical trial has increased my Guts

Maaku gains Guts +1.

Okay, take care.

For that event, we chose options: 1 (+0), 1 (+0), 1(+2).

You… haven’t told anyone about my drugs, right?

I guess I’ll believe you, for now.
*nod*

Why are you like this, Maaku?

Feels like I’ve been getting a lot more patients asking for drugs lately. Wonder where they keep hearing about me… It’s been really bugging me. But that’s all I wanted to ask, I guess. Okay, see you soon.

Daytime → Evening

Another minister has resigned? What is going on…
How stupid do you have to be to commit adultery?
They must be nuts… Swinging that knife around on a train…
There are too many crazy people! Where are all the sane people?

We’ve got exams coming up in a bit, so we’re going to be doing a lot of studying.

Maaku gains Knowledge +2.

Early Morning

(I actually had to reload here because I originally chose to read Zorro, the Outlaw last night instead of study, but Yoncha Walker 04 is a waste of time to read because it just puts all the Yongen-Jaya activities on the quick travel map and Social Thought is too smart for our dumdum brains at the moment, so we only have Zorro to read and I didn’t want to waste this time slot).

Maaku gains Kindness +3.

...I wonder if Kamoshida really had a change of heart? What if we failed? That’s all I’ve been able to think about…

Maaku should get paid if every time we do this the rest of the team is going to treat him as their therapist. But then Maaku doesn’t get a therapist, oh no!

We did do what we could. I guess all I can do now is believe…

Cool. Just keep repeating that to yourself instead of coming to me every time you have the slightest doubt in the process.

But how strange… I feel a bit better now. Maybe it’s because of your composure?

Don’t tell Ryuji, but I’m actually freaking out hardcore. Why is it taking so long!?

We’ll be able to avenge Shiho, and you won’t get expelled! After break, we’ll all be able to laugh together!

Except Shiho, because that would involve giving her screentime.

Early Morning → Morning

These days, you’re expected to know colloquial English—even its idioms that come from other languages. I want you to forget that you’re Japanese during this class, and make yourself believe you’re a foreigner. What’s important is becoming someone else. In this day and age, being able to swap your mask depending on the situation is a critical talent.

Laying it on a little thick there, game.

How will you fare, Mr. Hamiru? Here’s a question. “Are you a wunderkind?” See if you can work out the answer based on what you know.

This isn’t even technically an English word! Oh, but they covered their bases with that “idioms from other languages” bit, clever.

“Are you a wunderkind?”… Well, seems to me like we need to work out what that is so we can answer properly. My German is a little rusty, but I’ll give you a hand if I can! First off, the “wunder” part probably means…

Right, wonder! So something… wondrous, I guess, or impressive. Next, the “kind” part. That’s probably…

Hm… Let’s think about this again. Oh, huh. If the “kind” in “kindergarten refers to all the kids in it… Yeah, that’s gotta be it. “Kind” means a child… or at least a young guy, in your case.

That’s right! I was asking you if you were a wonder child—in other words, a youth of uncommon talent. But I suppose if you were able to think and adapt so quickly, that proves you certainly must be! Oh, the word “talent” comes from the Greek “talanton,” a sum of money referenced in the Bible. The more skilled a servant was, the more coins they would receive from God—their talent led to wealth.

The English word “talent” didn’t originally have anything to do with our modern concept of celebrity.

And it still doesn’t! :stat: :wal:

But the ability to change one’s mask depending on the situation is surely a talent given to one by God.

Okay, jeez, way to bring God into it, weirdo.

It’s not too far off calling people who can react to things on the spot on TV “talents.”
The talent of changing masks… Does that make us all “wunderthieves”?

Morning → After School

There’s a movie theater in Shibuya, right? You want to go see something?

No, sorry. I already saw the one movie they show at that theater per month.

Let’s return Zorro and check a new book out.

One thing we didn’t examine was this speed-reading book. It’s not available right now, but if we select it anyway…

Oh… that one… Unfortunately, I can’t lend that to you… Someone else already checked it out. It’s surprisingly popular—someone else snatches it up as soon as it’s returned…
Well, there’s nothing we can do if it’s checked out. We can always come back later and try to get it.

Unlike in the original game, where the speed-reading book was so thoroughly buried under Book Town garbage you were unlikely to need it by the time you got it, this game teases you with it substantially earlier. We’ll still be able to grab it far before we could in the original.

Let’s grab The Alluring Dancer, then.

Maaku gains Guts +1 and Knowledge +1.

After School → Evening

Is there any way they can regain their lost memories? Revive and fight, Phoenix Rangers! Next episode… “Don’t Take Three Steps! You’ll Lose Your Memories”!

Sounds like that one fight in Part 6.

Daytime

Yes.

I fail to see the appeal though. Adults swinging bats, screaming their grievances at society…

*sweating* Ha, y-yeah… who cares about baseball? That’s not a popular sport in Japan, right?

Heh. I’m envious. If you don’t want to to go batting, you must not have stress you want to relieve.

I’m getting some mixed messages from this guy! Do you like batting or not!?

I’ve been suffering hardship with work, you see. The curse of talent is being the object of envy. Visit the batting cages if you’re ever free. Though, it’s ill-suited to an intellectual like me…

:jerkbag:

Gah…! Aggh, my back…

(Male Host) Here’s what we’ve got for you today! Let’s start with this: The Military Ration Set! You can’t fight on an empty stomach, so get your nutrients with this!

Getting a big chuckle out of the idea of them selling loving MREs on the shopping channel and people going nuts for them.

(Male Host) 3 Torimeshi Ration, 2 MRE Ration, and… 2 Beef Patty Ration—all in one! What a deal! But wait! There’s more! Next up is the Muscle Workout Set! You’ll see an enormous improvement in your training results! This set includes… 2 Protein and 2 Moist Protein! I can’t believe they’re both in one set! What a steal!
(Female Host) Wow! They’re both such great items, I can’t decide which one to get!
(Male Host) All right! This is a limited item! Today’s the one and only day it’ll be available!

Let’s go for the Military Ration Set.

CHUG! CHUG! CHUG!

Maaku gains Proficiency +1.

While we’re out, we decide to pick up the rest of the books available so we don’t run into any problems like earlier where we almost didn’t have anything to read.

We’re intrigued by what the pretentious film man said about the batting cages earlier, so we decide to give it a try.

Batting cages? In a small place like this? …What’s it like inside?

Hm…? I haven’t seen you here before. In case you didn’t know, the services here change depending on the time of day.

The activities changing based on the time of day is all new.

During the day, you can win prizes based on your performance. More fun than just playing normally, wouldn’t you agree? At night, you can play all you want for 500 yen. If you perform well, I’ll give you a ticket for a free session during the day. Well? Would you like to play?

Let’s start with the beginner course.

It looks like you haven’t won the slugger prize or the home run prize yet. Well, do your best and don’t get too worked up.

If it works the same way as it did in the original, our goal is to win the slugger prize for hitting all five balls to get the full two points of Proficiency.

We do pretty okay. I didn’t even have to savescum!

The Ace Cap gives the wearer the skill Sharp Student, which lowers the rate at which they get Crit’ed.

Maaku gains Proficiency +2.

And we rank up!

A machine we sent in for maintenance will be back in July, so we’re planning to add another course to the lineup.
All right, let’s head home.

Daytime → Evening

Don’t worry. I’m sure the change of heart worked.

We’re gonna get expelled if Kamoshida doesn’t have a change of heart by then…

>Guess we’re hosed, then! Off to juvie for me!
C’mon, don’t be like that… I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Yeah, we can’t give up yet.
>Thanks for nothing, losers! Maaku OUT

We take one last bath before we are forever cursed.

Maaku gains Charm +3.

Early Morning

Why couldn’t they give us today off, too? We have the rest of the week off starting tomorrow…
(Serious-Looking Guy) Yeah, it’s ridiculous. Speaking of, what’s up with that calling card? The one sent to Kamoshida. Didn’t it say something about “stealing his distorted desires” or something weird like that?
Yeah, something like that… I’m sure it’s just a prank. No one’s taking it seriously.

(Flashy Student) I bet it’s about that girl that jumped the other day.
(Brown-Haired Student) They don’t have to tell us not to commit suicide.
There was that weird calling card too, so I guess the teachers are freaking out?
……

As you all know, a tragic event took place the other day.

By “the other day,” I of course mean over two weeks ago. We’d have held this assembly sooner, but we didn’t want to cancel the bake sale. Now what was I talking about? Oh, right, the girl. She’ll be fine. Now, on to more pressing matters; we have a special guest for all of you this morning. Mr. Ushimaru?
The principal and I are forming a comedy duo! We’ll be performing some of our routine today!
If you can call it comedy…
Wah-waaaahhhhhhh!!!
Shouldn’t *you* be the straight man?

…Ah!

That is why I will confess everything to you all…

I like that Kamoshida, in the middle of his existential despair, decided to get into full uniform, including the stopwatch around his neck.

Music: Regret

I have repeatedly done things that were… unbecoming of a teacher. Verbally abusing students… physically abusing my team, and… sexually harassing female students. I am the reason why Shiho Suzui tried to kill herself!

What, exactly, did you do to make her do that? Be specific!

Sexual harassment? What?
Why would he say that himself?
Ugh! He is the worst!
The volleyball team? Really? Physical abuse?

Kobayakawa is loving tripping out back there.

I thought of this school as my own castle…

For some reason, that feels really on-the-nose, but it’s just the first thing that popped into my head…

There were even students that I sentenced to expulsion, simply because I didn’t like them… I will, of course, rescind those… I am truly sorry for putting innocent youths through such horrible acts… I am an arrogant, shallow… and shameful person. No, I’m worse than that…

What?
Did he just say that?
Kill himself?
Mr. Kamoshida is, um… not well! Please subside!

(Teacher in a Suit) Everyone, return to your classes!
I—

Shiho’s still alive even after all the things that made her want to die! You have no right to run from this!
You’re right… You’re absolutely right… I should be punished under the law and atone for my crimes… I did horrible things to Takamaki-san, as well. In return for giving Suzui-san a position on the team… I… I tried to force her into having relations.
Disgusting.
Ugh… For a position on the team? That’s horrible!
I feel so bad for Takamaki-san…

Quick note, “Takamaki” is pronounced in a sane way in that line! Probably because it’s a no-name character, but still!

So the rumors weren’t true…

“Having relations”? What? Is he like, too embarrassed to say “sex”?

As of today, I will resign from my position as an instructor and turn myself in. Someone, please call the police!

Kamoshida! Hey, Kamoshida! You forgot to mention the fact that you raped a student! No problem, happy to help!

The police?
Is he for real? He’s gonna get arrested?

(Concerned Student) Isn’t this just like what that calling card said?
(Casually-Dressed Student) Does this mean the Phantom Thieves thing was for real!?
Was something done to Kamoshida!?
C’mon, there’s no way you could steal someone’s heart!
(Brown-Haired Student) But why else would he start saying things like he’ll kill himself or turn himself in?
(Flashy Student) Maybe because it almost got leaked? Don’t they go easier on you if you turn yourself in?
(Teacher in a Suit) Return to your classrooms at once!

His heart really did change…
Seems like it. But, was this really for the best?

Hey, it works for me! Maybe you’d be fine getting screwed, but I’m not going down for that bullshit! Woohoo! *ahem* I mean, I hope…

Yeah… It’s gotta be. But things’re happenin’ way too fast.

With three more years behind me I can appreciate that Ryuji is rightfully scared by the magnitude of what he has accomplished even if it not working would have doomed him, and that the game is better for this scene’s inclusion because it shows the characters having actual reservations about the godlike power they’re playing with. That said, the way it’s expressed is still kind of silly to me, because we spend like ten days going “oh god oh gently caress eff this better work” and then it works and we immediately start wussing out.

Huh…?
We all knew… but we pretended we didn’t.
(Tall Student) Takamaki-san, I had you all wrong… I’m sorry that I spread rumors about you!

Two correct pronunciations in one scene!

(Black-Haired Student) I didn’t know at all… Kamoshida was forcefully pushing himself on you… It must’ve been so hard for you!
I’m sure there’s a ton of people who want to apologize to you. We’re so sorry!
No, it’s okay. The same goes for me too… Besides, that’s all in the past now.

W-Well, see you later then…

…I swear I’ll make it up to you someday.

In ways you will never ask for.

Man, I’m glad for you. Looks like those weird rumors are gonna go away.

Ann is no longer an outcast in our fun game about outcasts. Weird.

My thing doesn’t really matter. We made Kamoshida apologize about Shiho… That’s more than enough for me.

I’m not sure exactly how I would define that, but an “apology” wouldn’t be it. Dude prostrated himself and begged for death.

You should hurry and tell her about it then.
…Yeah.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I finished Disco Elysium this week, so I'm free to focus solely on this LP for the time being... or at least I will be some time next Saturday or so when classes are over.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Guess there’s nothing we can do but wait. :v:

Kick rear end in classes as necessary!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Arist posted:

He cares. He’ll just never admit it.

Tsundere

Arist posted:

What, exactly, did you do to make her do that? Be specific!

I think a conscientious guilty teacher would let the victims be the ones to disclose the specifics if they wish to share the story.

Arist posted:

With three more years behind me I can appreciate that Ryuji is rightfully scared by the magnitude of what he has accomplished even if it not working would have doomed him, and that the game is better for this scene’s inclusion because it shows the characters having actual reservations about the godlike power they’re playing with. That said, the way it’s expressed is still kind of silly to me, because we spend like ten days going “oh god oh gently caress eff this better work” and then it works and we immediately start wussing out.

I like the message Ryuji tries to convey. The pacing is akin to how some scientists felt after their involvement in the Manhattan Project: after the patriotism and/or the scientific curiosity drained away, a stir of fear and guilt bubbles over. Nevertheless, the sentiment feels entirely played up in the game with how the story progresses.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

Yeah, after now having played fully through P4G, I do appreciate that this group actually does have reservations about using their power, vs the P4 gang who are just chomping at the bit to jump back into the TV. That said my problem is that it just gets repeated over and over in a really dull way. The text conversations that just constantly rehash "Did we do the right thing Joker" "YES WE DID SHUT UP" are the worst in this regard.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sydin posted:

Yeah, after now having played fully through P4G, I do appreciate that this group actually does have reservations about using their power, vs the P4 gang who are just chomping at the bit to jump back into the TV. That said my problem is that it just gets repeated over and over in a really dull way. The text conversations that just constantly rehash "Did we do the right thing Joker" "YES WE DID SHUT UP" are the worst in this regard.

In their defense, the P4G gang wasn't going in to forcibly rewrite someone's personality, they were going in to try to keep someone from getting horribly killed.

The question of "Is this something we should be messing with?" is, I think, raised at some point, but when the counterpoint demonstrably is "Someone is going to die if we don't, and no one else has the demonstrated ability to keep that from happening" it becomes a very short argument.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The gang also becomes less reserved about it over time since they repeatedly demonstrate that their method works fine, nobody's getting shutdown. It's only when Okumura runs counter to their expectations that suddenly they're in disarray again.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 22: 5/2-5/5: Buffet Troubles

This update covers Parts 20, 21, and 22 of the original LP.

After School

Huh. It actually worked. And we didn’t even destroy his mind!
Hmm, I see… so if we persuade the Shadow instead of killing it, they won’t shut down…
We still get to beat them up though, right?

So, we can get ‘em to confess with no bad stuff? Hey! That works for me!

It’ll be fiiiiine. I’d never give us up that easily!

C’mon, it’s not like this exact thing could ever possibly gently caress us over… more than once.

So… how’d it go? With Shiho, I mean…

Music: Break it Down

She’s regained consciousness!

It was only for a little bit, but I got to talk to her! I was able to tell her that Kamoshida admitted to what he did!

Shiho, she… she told me she was sorry… Looks like she found out that I was flirting with Kamoshida for her sake… And here I was, wanting to apologize to her.

It’s not your fault, it’s Kamoshida’s.

Yeah, I know… Shiho’s probably going to have to transfer school after she recovers though. People will talk. I think it’s for the best. It’d be too hard for her here.

She’s alive. You can see her anytime.
*nod* …I need to change too.
That aside, I was surprised you could hold yourself back against Kamoshida’s Shadow.

It’s because she’s so kind.
Nah. I just want him to bear the crushing weight of his sins for the rest of his life. Something *worse* than death.
……

But I was still wonderin’ something… Why was Kamoshida the only one who had a Palace?
He’s not. Anyone with a strong enough desire could. Wanna see?
Nah. Even if no one can find out what we did over there, we should lie low.
Too late for that. You’re shouting about how you brainwashed him from the literal rooftops. Plus, there’s some weird rumors going around about how you two threatened Kamoshida…
I mean, we kind of did, but that’s not why he confessed!
They’re not gonna believe the calling card’s real. Why would they?
Yeah, I guess. Hardly believe it myself after all…

Let’s wait for things to settle down for the time being.

We should probably fence this quick before the fuzz start sniffing around.

…Wait, thirty thousand yen!? That’s all a gold medal’s worth!?

Remember in middle school when I lent you 500 yen? Don’t you owe me some interest from that?
Wait a minute… doing some napkin math here. If you borrowed 500 as the principal loan, and we assume 3 years… To get the total amount we need to use the formula A=P(1+r/n)^(nt). To get to 30000 yen from that, compounded monthly, it’s a 144% rate. These are some “loanshark is gonna bust my kneecaps” interest rates we’re dealing with here. These are some “crippling student loan debt for the rest of my life” rates. Ann is scary.
You can’t read, but you can calculate interest formulas?
I’m not *stupid*.
Now, now. Don’t fight. We should spend the money celebrating! Let’s get some good food!
Sounds fun.
Oh, fine. But I get to pick the spot! There’s somewhere Shiho and I have been wanting to go for a while. Let’s do it on the last day of Golden Week.
So… the 5th, on Children’s Day.
Why do we need a whole day for children? Those smug little idiots, living it up while the rest of us work.
How are we going to sell this medal, anyway?
Don’t worry about it. Maaku and I have a source. He seems just sketchy enough to go for this sort of thing.

After School → Evening

No, that one is a fake. It’s just a byproduct of his cognition. The real medal should still be in his possession.

>Cat says it’s fake.
So Kamoshida still has it?
It doesn’t matter. He won’t take pride in it any more either way. What does matter is you paying me back for that stupid dolphin!
It was a souvenir for my mom!
Fine, I’ll let it slide…
Anyway, just sell the stupid medal!

For me, it just means more customers and even more work.

Why does everyone have to take a break at the same time…?

Let’s do the crossword.

Uhhhhhh… let’s come back to this one once we have fewer letters to choose from. Even though that’s not how crosswords work in real life.

Oh, duh, “1 of 24” means “hour”! :doh:

Early Morning

(From downstairs) Hey, you can hear me, right? You don’t have plans, do you? Come help me out, instead of sleeping your life away.

But I *like* sleeping my life away!

We do owe it to him… We’ll just have to wait. Hurry down and help him out.

Early Morning → Daytime

At an assembly yesterday, a high school volleyball coach confessed to repeatedly abusing and sexually harassing students. poo poo’s wild! And we don’t even know why he did it! Confess, I mean. He did the abuse because he sucks.

Hm? Isn’t this…?

(Male Student’s Voice) It was scary, but I’m relieved that the abuse is finally going to end now.

(Female Student’s Voice) I’m glad I don’t have to deal with that sexual harassment anymore…

(Female Student’s Voice) Like… I’m totally shocked they were actually true. At least now I can go to school without worrying.

(Female Student’s Voice) Wait, I forgot about the institutional culture of silence that fostered this abuse in the first place, oh no!

*sigh*

Just don’t cause any trouble, all right? And keep busy, I’ve got more meaningless busywork I need you to do.
Why am I spending my Golden Week doing chores?
Because I’m jealous of your youth. Now pipe down.

Daytime → Evening

How on earth did he find enough chores to take up an entire day off? I’m upset about this!

Seems like the school’s in deep poo poo.
I saw. Shiho’s name didn’t come up, did it?
I don’t think so.
Good. Let’s just celebrate! Hope you guys are looking forward to this!
We absolutely need to sell that medal tomorrow. Don’t let the chief rope you into any other nonsense, this is important!

Somehow, despite our spending all day doing chores, this place is still filthy enough to require additional cleaning.

Maaku gains Kindness +1.

All right, we’ve got all our stats to Rank 2!

Daytime

No.

Just do it. Don’t get cocky with me.

How are there even more chores to do? I did all of them yesterday?
Well, we had customers since then.
??????

Welcome.
Am I interrupting something?

I’d hate to get in the way of a good domestic spat.

Not at all.

Police are hurrying to solve the matter as it may relate to the rise in psychotic breakdown incidents.
Oh, is that the thing everyone’s been talking about?
Doesn’t it make you curious?

People living normal lives getting totally jokerfied out of nowhere and going ballistic? It’s happening constantly nowadays…

Hmm… Leaving that aside… What’ll you have?

I’ll have… one coffee, please.

Uhhh, no, not exactly…

It can’t. He makes me work for curry.

Are you a high school student? Where do you attend?

Shujin. You know Shujin? It’s the place all over the news.

Oh? Someone I know goes there as well.

Note to self: I still need to berate her today… Anyway, how are things there at the moment? It’s sounding rough after that teacher, Kamoshida, suddenly confessed his crimes like a totally different person…

Can a person’s mental state change so easily?

…Huh.
Is my drink ready yet?

Err, I’ve been standing right here the entire time *not* preparing it, so you probably know the answer to that one…

Coming right up.

You know some place that’ll buy it off you, right?

You were the one that volunteered me for this mission!

I hear he’s done some terrible things…
(Old Man With Glasses) How reprehensible. Back in our time, everyone looked up to athletes… But nowadays they’re a bunch of impudent upstarts who are setting a bad example for the children.

(DJ) Today’s topic is “Things You Can Do Over Your Long Weekend”! “I’m having a fancy lunch at a pricey hotel buffet with my boyfriend!” Wow, I’m so jealous!
Hmph. I don’t see what the big deal is. Food’s all the same, anyway.

Someone should tell this old man about Soylent, it’ll blow his mind.

Fair. Let’s just head to Shibuya.

There’s a rumor that an informant revealed the details regarding Kamoshida’s criminal activities…

Can you see what’s happening here? This student’s mouth is shut tight. I sense a cloud of darkness surrounding the school as it attempts to conceal the scandal! And that’s all for our on-the-spot coverage.

You want a job where you can make stacks without lots of work?

Hey, don’t listen! And I think we’ve seen him around before… Anyway, pawning off the gold medal should be our top priority right now. Ignore that guy!

And outside Untouchable we run into those two cops investigating the place.

(Shady Man) Looks like it. Let’s just take care of this.
Wait! We don’t have a search warrant yet. Just be patient. I’m sure we’ll get one soon enough. And they’d never think about running off down this narrow alley.

Music: Layer Cake

Buy this gold medal off me. I promise it’s legit.
…Yeah, sure.

Iwai offers exactly what Ryuji said it was worth. How nice of him.

Deal.

It’s almost time…

But, uh… best not to open it. Just bring it with you next time you come back here.

Why, this isn’t suspicious at all! Thank you, kind sir!
Don’t mention it. Now scram kid, they’re here.

(his name is now Stern Detective) Munehisa Iwai, yes? There are some matters we’d like to discuss with you today.
…Go, kid.

Looking for evidence? Whatever. I’m an upstandin’ citizen and will cooperate fully. So, you gonna search me or what?
(Vulgar Detective now) I was sure that lead was legitimate… Ugh, you bastard… ……. Hey, kid![/u]

What’s in the bag, huh? Show me.
I should leave…

It’s my Lunchables. I got the pizza one today!
Oh man, I’m jealous. Can I have some?
…No.
Detective, we’re getting sidetracked here…

Urgh…
Safe trip home, kid.

Look in the bag LOOK IN THE BAG
But he said not to…
Don’t be a coward! Just do it!
I’m totally ratting you out when this goes bad…

A real gun!? Wait… I think it’s just a model. It’s incredible though! Miles ahead of the one Ryuji had. There’s something weird about that place…

That’s probably just the weird smell from the ration vending machine.
Never mind that… we should buy this gun from him later! It’s so real-looking, it’d be great for the Metaverse! He told you to bring it back later, right? Strike a deal with him then!

Daytime → Evening

The Kamoshida story is all over the news…
How are you feeling?
It’s hard to say… this is all so much bigger than I anticipated. It’s just… surprising.

I don’t think we did anything wrong though. I wonder if we helped those people speak up about it…

I think so.
That’s incredible! We really did it, huh? We definitely earned that celebration tomorrow! We’re meeting in front of Shibuya Station at noon! Don’t be late! Also, you pawned that medal, right?
I almost got arrested, but yes!
Great! Well, not the arrested part, but still! You’re gonna be excited when you see the place I chose! See you tomorrow!

What do you think we’re gonna have?
“We?” You’re a cat. They’re not gonna let me take you into a buffet, dude.
Well, you’ll just have to sneak me in!

Daytime

Music: Alright

So good… I’m gonna eat myself to death!
It’s a famous hotel! It’s got the best buffet around!

Oh yeah, I heard that the police are coming to interview some people at school.
That’s troublesome.

Considerin’ the rumors about us, our names are gonna come up…
Well, they’re not wrong per se…

But we got ‘em pumped up! I keep hearin’ stuff like, “The Phantom Thieves really stole his heart!” I think most people don’t believe it, but some of ‘em actually seem grateful. Look at this.

Wow Ann, you have really good eyesight to be able to read his phone from all the way across that table.

“Well done, Phantom Thieves”… “Now I can keep going too”… “Thank you for giving us hope”…
Pretty cool, huh?
I was just desperate to deal with my own problems, but seeing people saying all this feels… strange.
Yeah…

What do you think, Maaku?
I *think* that I need to get my fill of every food on earth that isn’t curry to hold me over for a good while. Less talky, more eaty. You’re gonna run out of time if you don’t hurry.

Oh crap, you’re totally right! We only got an hour to eat!
Just fifty minutes left!
I’m not gonna finish all the beef dishes at this pace!
I need to eat my way through the entire dessert menu!

Won’t putting on weight affect your modeling?
Ryuji, shut up.

(to Maaku) Look after our stuff! We’ll snag somethin’ for you guys too, don’t worry!

Delicious!
So good!
All they’re eating are meat and cake… talk about typecasting yourself…
Stay in the bag! But what did you guys bring back for us, anyway?
Beans.
Oh. That’s okay. This shall be a lesson to lower my expectations of you in the future. One day, I will never be disappointed again.
Come on, let’s get some real food while these two gorge themselves!

Music: My Homie

And for 8,000 yen each, we’d better be getting the best! Let’s get some fish!

(Arrogant Wealthy Woman) You hear about that coach, Kamoshida? And those “Phantom Thieves”?
(Haughty Wealthy Woman) It’s all so shameful… And the police don’t need to get distracted from those psychotic breakdowns right now…
Yes, yes… Those poor pitiable Shujin students, though… Hold on, that hooligan is staring at us.
Quick, grab some food!
Not really much of a fish guy, but whatever…
I wonder if anyone else is talking about this though… You should keep an ear out while you get more food!

(IT Company President) Blah blah Kamoshida blah blah Phantom Thieves blah blah not real blah blah

So they don’t believe themselves, but they’re making up stories to make the Phantom Thieves seem real…

What are you on about?

(TV Station President) Blah blah Kamoshida blah blah ratings blah blah idiot public
How can he be so insensitive? A student almost killed herself because of that Kamoshida…

Note: The TV Station President and the IT Company President from this sequence are two of the miniboss Shadows we fight in Shido’s Palace!

(Haughty Subordinate) Kamoshida was a fool who overvalued himself. He should have just quietly accepted his place.
(Insolent Subordinate) This entire incident is impossible to take seriously. We can just let some low-ranking scrubs take care of it.

Look into…? I guess they’re investigating Kamoshida? They don’t sound very enthusiastic though.

Oh, he’ll be arriving soon. We should get moving.
Those guys seemed shady to me…

They’re Shido’s goons, if you haven’t figured it out yet.

Most adults weren’t very interested in Kamoshida, it seems… But we’ve got enough food, let’s head back!

Music: Alright

You guys brought back too much, honestly. It’d be bad to waste it. Help them out, Ryuji!

We brought this on ourselves! Curse our hubris!
Urgh… I’m gonna eat myself to death…

Don’t give up! Let’s keep at it!

Oh, I am *absolutely* going to vomit.
We won…
You think this is a game!?
Oh no… I need… bathroom!
M-Me too…

(Wealthy Man) Come now, pay them no attention. I’m sure they must not normally have the chance to eat such exquisite food.
(Elegant Woman) I can only imagine what their parents must be like.

What? Man, she’d regret saying that if I wasn’t about to hurl… Let’s go, quick!

Music: My Homie

Why were they cleaning the bathroom in the middle of a buffet? How does that make sense? We had to go to another floor to find one…
You idiot, you really did eat until you puked…
So did you!
I’m a cat, I vomit all the time. Wait, I mean—
No take-backs!
poo poo!

No, not yet… Sorry, but why are you so concerned with this?
Just pick up the pace, you incompetent louse!
Hey, we were here first!

You pushed him. Apologize.

We’re in a hurry.
Oh, I’m sorry. So you can butt in front of other people if you’re in a hurry?
It seems the customer base has changed since I was here last. Have they started a day care?
What?
Sir, we don’t have time for this.
I know.

Don’t bother with them!

What an rear end in a top hat, looking down on us!

Don’t lose your temper over this.
I just can’t forgive lovely adults like that!

Come on Maaku, you clearly remember his voice (and face, somewhat). Put two and two together here, you can do it!

Nah, can’t be.

Dammit.

…What’s wrong?

I feel really… stupid… for no reason. Like any idiot could figure this out, but I’m stuck…

…Dammit, I’m still mad! Let’s go!

Music: Break it Down

What took you so long!?

Why are you so mad?
Sorry… Some woman blamed me for dropping her plate a second ago, when it was clearly her fault! But everyone looked at me with this… look of disapproval.

This is just life for us.

Yo, Morgana. Anyone could have one of those Palaces, right?
If their desires are warped enough, sure.
And if their Treasure got stolen, it would change their heart?

Why are you bringing this up all of a sudden?

We had our own run-in with a lovely adult upstairs. The kind of rear end in a top hat who looks down on everyone, you know? I was wonderin’ if we’d be able to change them too.

You mean… you wanna continue as the Phantom Thieves?
Think about it. Those people who Kamoshida was abusin’, the people who had no choice but to take it, they ended up thankin’ the Phantom Thieves. There must be loads more people like that.
…I agree. I can’t ignore people who are in trouble any more.

If you really want to do this… then I’m sure there’s nothing we can’t accomplish!

Music: Swear to My Bones

I didn’t think of it, but… we may be able to help people with this power.

We’ll have to fight Shadows again, right?
Correct. Is that a problem?
We’ll be fine! I’m sure of it!
I’m fine with it, but I feel obligated to mention that “some people were mean to me at a buffet” is the pettiest possible reasoning for continuing to do this. But… whatever, I’m in.

Heh… Even if you guys are still just fledglings, this means we’re an actual organization now.
All right, it’s settled!

Maaku, are you fine with being our leader?
Wait, what? I dunno if I can handle the pressure… But you guys are probably just gonna make me do it anyway because I’m *special*, so sure, whatever.
Ooh! What should our name be? If we’re making this official, don’t you think we should have a cooler name than “Phantom Thieves of Hearts”?
“The Diamonds”!
“Tilefish Poele”!
Ugh, no, these names suck! Maaku, you decide!

Can’t go wrong with the classics.

(I should mention that there’s a small dialogue easter egg if you actually input Ann’s suggestion, “The Diamonds.”)

It’s cause you be on that phone!
I like it!

Well now that the name’s set, who’s our next target?
There’s tons of rotten adults, but if we’re gonna give people hope, we need to make it some big-shot famous person.
All right, but it should be a unanimous decision! Like we’re forming a pact!

“Unanimous” just makes me think of jury duty, but okay. Also the game never does anything with this, everyone always goes along with the target-choosing, which is a weird lack of conflict there (unless you count Morgana trying to go after Okumura himself, which I don't).

Now then, this is the official formation of the Phantom Thieves organization!

Our time for the buffet’s up…

I guess we’ll just have to talk more tomorrow.

And a talking cat!?
Ish trueee… The cat talked to meeee!
They really overdid it with the drugs… But enough of that story lines up that I have trouble discounting it all. As for these other accomplices… Who are they?
Well, the first one is named—oh, dammit! You’re tricky! Almost got me to spill the beans!
…Fine. I’ll move on. I only have a limited time to question you, and I have a lot to ask to make sure you’re telling the truth at all. Now, the next to receive a calling card was…

We’re not even sure how you found out about these crimes. Kinda baffling, to be honest. Tell me everything.

Line changes!!!!

When Ryuji and Morgana are about to throw up at the buffet, Wealthy Man’s line “They must not normally have the opportunity to eat such exquisite food.” Has become “Come now, pay them no attention. I’m sure they must not normally have the chance to eat such exquisite food.” A little more condescending, I guess?

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 1, 2022

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
There's a little more difference than that in this scene: the big change here is that the "listening in on the buffet" is now voiced in Royal, where it wasn't in the base game. It's actually a nice bit of voice acting; they were told to portray the Worst People Ever, and they did it with gusto. (A shame the other Very Familiar Face we meet never really left as much of an impression.) Cassandra Lee has some great line reads here, in Morgana's descriptions of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

No one ever dissents on the "unanimous decision" thing right? That little point always felt like it would cause at least one issue down the line, just a smidge of group conflict to shake up the routine but I don't think it did.