Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Huh it occurs to me I never even tried to go downstairs after Sojiro first shows you your room. That's kinda neat that it actually lets you and has some dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

It's cool take care of yourself first.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Coming fresh off P4 it definitely had a less awkward translation for the most part, but the VA work was... eh. On the other hand I don't really think there's any named character in P5 who I'd say has poor voice work, and most of them are actually really good. There are some really bad line reads from unnamed extras though: the Kaneshiro thug's "whothefuckareyou?!" when the gang runs into his club to rescue Makoto is freshest in my mind.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Snorb posted:

And I think that guy was still the first person to say "gently caress" in a Persona game. (Seriously, Ryuji just keeps dancing around it with "effing.")

It's really weird to me because like, the game already has an M rating and the game wasn't going to tip into AO territory because there's a character who swears a bunch. Maybe they just thought it'd be too crass to have Ryuji constantly dropping hard F-bombs?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
While the new gun changes are incredible I am sad that we no longer get the incredible tutorial message from vanilla explaining them with "Gun attacks are effective against enemies weak to guns." :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think Tae's new voice works a lot better for the back half of her confidant, where Abbot sells a lot better how guilty and hopelessly driven into a corner she feels over thinking she's killed a patient. But yeah up front she's definitely supposed to come off as shady and maybe even a touch dangerous, and the old VA carried that portion much better. Give and take :shrug:

SoundwaveAU posted:

I think I got my money's worth from the Persona DLC pack when I heard Xander Mobus try to say "Izanagi-no-Okami Picaro" within a second.

:hmmyes:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The problem with making Shiho a full fledged party member is that she then by the design of the game has to be a romance option, which means you can choose to romance the recent rape victim. It's not impossible to make that work, but this is not the writing team that I expect to handle such a relationship with the care and nuance required for it not to come off as absolutely terrible.

I've talked about it before in the general thread I think, but imo Ann's main problem is that after Kamoshida she doesn't really have much to do. Ryuji at least has an arc where being a PT goes to his head and he starts to focus more on the glory then actually helping people, because being a PT is the only part of his life that makes him feel a sense of belonging and agency. Ann... kinda has that flaw as well but not nearly as much, and she more than any other party member really fades into the background as the group grows. It also doesn't help that her confidant isn't great and doesn't really have much conflict: Ann doesn't struggle in the face of the adversities of her career the way Rise does, rather she's continually upbeat about being shown up by somebody else and just keeps vowing to get better until eventually she does. That's a healthy attitude no doubt, but as a story it's pretty boring to watch unfold. Again I'm not advocating for everybody wallowing in misery, but a confidant where Ann actually had to grapple with her friend's suicide attempt and how she feels that she failed Shiho by not speaking out sooner would do a lot more for her character.

idk, even after writing all that Ann is mostly fine. Her issues are way down on the list of things I could criticize about this game.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yusuke is a voice of reason?

Funnily enough he kinda starts to fill this role for the group yeah, particularly around the time of the Okumura palace. IIRC he's actually the first one to pump the breaks on targeting Okumura and expressing his uneasiness over how crazy their popularity has gotten.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

There are some very well written characters in the game. It's just that the quality of the writing is massively inconsistent.

Some of the new stuff in Royal is so much better written then vanilla it almost feels like it's not the same game.

kw0134 posted:

In the hands of a capable writer, any and all of these objections can be surmounted.

What people are questioning is whether such a writer exists with Atlus.

Yeah, I think these two posts sum up my feelings well. This is a really good game and it does have some fantastic writing and characters in it, but the writers definitely have flaws and hangups and it is not a writing staff I would trust to handle an expanded role for Shiho with the level of delicacy required.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's actually interesting how Yusuke and Ryuji parallel one another. Both are somewhat disillusioned loners who grew up in relative poverty, suddenly thrust into the role of being a popular and successful phantom thief. For Ryuji he latches onto it as a source of self worth and agency, which causes him to lose sight of his original goal of helping those victimized by people in power like he was. For Yusuke however, who not only has a much more reserved temperament but also has his art as his own source of self worth, the sudden popularity of the thieves is disconcerting and he is much more sensitive to the group's morals and goals being compromised in the pursuit of public opinion.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arist posted:

With three more years behind me I can appreciate that Ryuji is rightfully scared by the magnitude of what he has accomplished even if it not working would have doomed him, and that the game is better for this scene’s inclusion because it shows the characters having actual reservations about the godlike power they’re playing with. That said, the way it’s expressed is still kind of silly to me, because we spend like ten days going “oh god oh gently caress eff this better work” and then it works and we immediately start wussing out.

Yeah, after now having played fully through P4G, I do appreciate that this group actually does have reservations about using their power, vs the P4 gang who are just chomping at the bit to jump back into the TV. That said my problem is that it just gets repeated over and over in a really dull way. The text conversations that just constantly rehash "Did we do the right thing Joker" "YES WE DID SHUT UP" are the worst in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They also can't come to a unanimous consensus initially wrt Okumura. Morgana, Ryuji, and kinda Ann are for it, Joker, Makoto, and Yusuke are against, and Futaba is waffling. They only all agree once another reason for changing his heart comes up in the form of Haru's impending arranged marriage thing.