Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I guess you need to have this volleyball sequence to show the futility of "playing by the rules" but man this section of the game really drags on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In the hands of a capable writer, any and all of these objections can be surmounted.

What people are questioning is whether such a writer exists with Atlus.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

In P3 it is implied that you date all the female confidants (as the male protagonist) pretty much in sequence, which is...uh....

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Gort posted:

What's the story here? I've not played that game. Is it just, "Reach certain rank of confidant -> You are now dating them"?
Yes, the game says "you're now basically dating, you shouldn't get caught in the company of another girl too often." It's also heavily implied that at the apex you become physically intimate with said social link..

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Palaces are only for the most corrupt and distorted persons!"
"Hmm, we need to investigate more, what if this is an innocent palace???"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

To be completely fair, we do see that both Futaba's and Sae's Palaces were meant to represent how they feel about the world in general and not the crimes they were actively committing... but even still, those Palaces weren't "good" and probably needed to go anyway, so it's a wash. It's somewhat plausible that Madarame viewing his students like this doesn't actually mean he was stealing from them yet, but it does seem like a leap to assume that.
Like I'll admit to being a dummy when I didn't pick up all the clues saying "he stole everything from me" was a reference from Madarame but goddamn the only thing he has is the obvious fake facade that the team just spent a fraught month trying to tear down with the last "true Japanese hero" that everyone loves and adores and you better not say anything bad or you get socially axe-murdered.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I really like these additions to the game, it makes the characters feel like actual teenage friends who like each other and do teenage things together.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember that Sae doesn't actually have her heart stolen, her turn around was entirely her own volition.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A running theme is that the law protects those in power, and binds only those out of power. Takemi has no power, and thus is hosed.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Take the pace needed to avoid burnout and fits your workflow. If you have a bunch of updates that don't fit and want to post it, then post it. If you think it's better to hold it because it makes a better narrative, then do that. You're the one doing the work.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

…You kids are really talking about public transit? Is that what you’re into?
As someone who grew up in a major metropolitan city and relied on mass transit, gently caress yes, we'd bitch about the service and decisions of the transit authorities all the time since they impacted our daily lives.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Honestly if you told me that this picture was inspired by a metaphysical space of human emotion, I'd be like "and that's it?"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

Well, I wanted to look for a place in Kichijoji, so I called a realtor… but there ain’t a single apartment with a bathroom bigger than a closet for under 40k a month!
You know that’s not just Kichijoji, right? You won’t find an apartment for under 40k anywhere in Tokyo. If you want to live your ideal life, you need a way to pay for it.

SILENCE, CAPITALIST

That sounds like a dropped 0 because 40k yen is $300, which is fantastic for a major urban area even if it's a closet. Maybe they meant 400k yen/month?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Even leaving aside the Japanese legal system's love of confessions (voluntary or otherwise), in the cases the Phantom Thieves have been involved in so far it would be easy to corroborate it with other testimony and hard evidence. It'd be a bit like the narrator in the Tell-Tale Heart, driven mad by guilt, directs the cops who didn't even suspect them to tear up the floorboards and reveal the crime. I do think this does cause issues for the prosecution of Shido, where he can't bring a lot of hard evidence to his confession and his collaborators are powerful people who can make inconvenient facts/evidence disappear.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It feels like Okumura is sort of played up as a quasi Elon Musk figure, a guy who's lauded as both a business genius and panned as a gigantic rear end in a top hat who naturally paints a target on his back. It is a bit of a running theme that society at large is chasing a bunch of distractions to avoid asking (and answering) hard questions about where it's going. It is easier to ignore the bruises on the students, volleyball is a tough sport and besides look at the trophies he's won! Madarame is an artistic genius, mastering a billion genres effortlessly! Big Bang Burgers is obviously the cause of all of Japan's problems with workforce boundaries, if you take out that smug rear end in a top hat Okumura clearly everything will be fine! It's not an endemic issue at large, which is why I'm voting for that bald guy who made a bunch of vague promises.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Mental health issues can be fixed by calling them out in the cruelest way possible and then literally entering the patient's psyche and tearing out the bad bits.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Akechi is a great villain because he's simultaneously very needy and sociopathic. He could be genuinely looking for validation from the only person who might actually understand him; he could be trying to get under the protagonist's skin. It might be a little of both and it's plausible he's not sure either.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Prowler posted:

I think it's important to note that he's being manipulated by someone who is very much is a sociopath with narcissistic tendencies, so it might be difficult to determine where Akechi ends and Shido begins. It's a very "he would be my friend were he not my enemy" situation for Akechi, I think, though he's very much decided on the latter categorization for obvious reasons.
Does Shido know that Akechi's his kid? Shido was manipulating Akechi who liked to think he was manipulating Shido in turn, and there's a lot of unnecessarily complex plotting going on between the two that only confuses things or makes all the various motivations that much murkier. In the event both were planning to stab the other in the back and it's hard to tell how much of what is Akechi being influenced by Shido and how much it is simply the apple not falling far from the tree.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't recall if Yusuke really says he's sorry for blackmailing Ann or if we delve right into the whole thing with Madarame's palace and it's kind of forgotten? If the game really wanted to make a point about unequal power in relationships you'd think there'd be more fallout from Yusuke's attempt at making a sexual harassment victim strip instead of the way it's played mostly for laughs. I think the focus immediately shifts to Yusuke trying to come to terms with his own relationship with Madarame and trying to solidify his position on the team so any awkwardness gets swept aside in the haste to punch Madarame('s cognitive self) in the face.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

Thank you. By strategically positioning your pieces in the enemy zone, you can increase your chances of getting gold.
I have no idea what that means in this context.
I believe this is in reference to promoting pieces in shogi, which can be done once you've advanced that piece relatively deeply into your opponent's half of the board. Unlike in chess, you can promote most of the pieces you start out with and many of the upgraded pieces have identical movement patterns to gold generals, so hence "getting gold."

I don't know if that's the preferred jargon or if it's the translation being a little funky, though.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

And that's with a very strong dollar/yen exchange rate today, the historical rates of ~100-115 yen per dollar means it would have been between 1050-1200 dollars for the meal in 2016. That's some expensive sushi!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No matter what, he's the convicted felon whose presence tends to taint anyone by association. So he's gonna be an outcast until the school deems him rehabilitated or whatever and he fucks on out of there. Even as late as Novemberish he's still "wow that felon who would shank you in a back alley knew that answer" in class.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also he makes lockpicks and bombs in class and reads books and slacks off.
But somehow he always gets the top scores in exams which should make people question their own life choices.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Isn't one of the gimmicks that the party gets hit with Hunger and the Big Bang Challenge attack feeds them? Did that get changed or am I misremembering?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No point in getting into the weeds in between US and Japanese law (where in the US, truth is an absolute defense against defamation) but you can have separate torts for invasion of privacy and of course in the case of Maaku as a minor he'd get special protection. In the EU there's the right to be forgotten as well, but those run up to issues where the conviction was for like fraud which has, uh, certain trust issues you should be able to get info on. There's a lot of intersections between freedom of speech, the right to be left alone, and the right to also inform where it would be relevant and if I still had an Elsevier sub I'd probably be able to pull up reams of articles in various law journals.okliiiiiiiiiu

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When does Joker tell the gang about his suspicions about Akechi? Should be around this time to start setting up the trap in Sae's palace, no?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

No one can possibly recognize her once she's in a maid outfit despite not disguising her face or anything, because clearly people only see clothing and not any other aspects of their body.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

P5 absolutely is a game that needed a few edit passes through its script once its plot was fully nailed down. Or possibly it had a few too many editors who weren't on the same page.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Arist posted:

I know absolutely nothing about music production but my immediate assumption about that version of Rivers in the Desert is that the additional layer of synth garbage is there just to give guidance on the notes they wanted the singer to hit, because not only do the tones seem to match up but they only correspond to the missing vocal track, not any other part of the song.
Yeah, that almost certainly seems like a placeholder because no instrument would be playing the vocalist's melody in the final product, you harmonize but don't echo it note for note, beat for beat. If it's not a guide track for your singer, then the singer wasn't selected/available, the lyrics were unfinished, or they were playing with the melody to see how it works with the rest of the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I mean it is interesting that you're running around causing all sorts of various chaos with you as the obvious nexus and in the final game this is just never picked up until the end when it requires a Judas Iscariot moment of betrayal. It feels like the ending cinematic alludes to this when Morgana steals the spark plugs from the car trailing them, you'd think after the very first palace someone would have twigged to the protagonist in particular and put you under greater scrutiny.