Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
The Boy Who Lived returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Did this game start?!?!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
It did not yet.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Scientastic's avatar did not used to move. When did that happen?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

xopods posted:

But like Dexanth, for instance, I know we probably played in a half dozen games together and he was in several of mine. But I can't remember what he posts like or any specific event with him. I think he was in the Robot Mafia big game. Was he my Scum buddy or something? I remember there was something with him that game. Anyway.

I one time killed Dexanth mid playing as Pyromancer when he was [who gives a poo poo]. I still remember it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Leith Maclaine posted:

No Steak and No Lumpen, now how are we going to generate D1 content?

Content game. You're stuck on mafia island and no one cares. What do you no one cares?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't think we should claim flavor stuff. However, I am upset that I did not get Harry Potter after the survivor gambit from HP3.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am now Gargamel for all flavor purposes. Please address me as Gargamel.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Gargamel

Adding for nickname.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJv5C-maMa0&t=18s

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dexanth posted:

dont we have that already

dont you to wizard jail forever for using it

i guess its less a head cutting spell though so maybe just cutting someone's head off is okay

actually like if I magically levitate a knife and plunge it into someone's sternum is that less bad than using the killing curse like

whats the difference

##vote Dexanath - completely ignored my HoN beta reference.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Humalong posted:

Can’t believe we had someone admit to votefinder fuckery btw

The lowest form of cheating at mafia

Me?! I added my own new cool nickname!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
CapnAndy gambit.

##vote CapnAndy

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Hal Incandenza posted:

##vote hockletock

drat you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Liger

That timing is super weird.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote Kashuno

You got soul read. Sorry.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

That vote on you was a random callout because of your "I feel good about this post" thing on CapnAndy. When I read you just now in total, it didn't really feel that good.

I'm looking into the thread now for other stuff.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kloaked00 posted:

I think CapnAndy is posting in good faith. This is purely based on what I remember of him as a player from 10 years ago, but that's what I've got right now. Scientastic also reads town to me since in my experience, it takes a select scum player to wantingly make the first effort for turning from the joke phase to real discussion.

I'm actually going to ##vote Epsilon Plus. Reading the thread through it stuck out to me that I saw multiple posts from him, but couldn't remember an actual stance he's taken on anytime. Clicking his ? confirmed this. He has posts, but it's all worthless filler. Even his vote for CapnAndy appears to be filler and the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the vote is mostly a joke. Reads to me as scum trying to appear to have substance without actually taking a stance on anything.

Huh.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Not one of these cases is very sexy, but here we go:

1. ##vote Mikujin

Mikujin has made two post call outs:

xopods posted:

I always feel the same way when people actually listen to me early on, and for good reason.

However, in a game this size I expect a lot of people are just going to pick between early cases rather than doing any scum hunting of their own because there's just too many people to pick from otherwise, and then if you're not going with someone that's already got momentum for them, you have to somehow convince 13 other people to vote with you.

Like, I've actually been reading pretty carefully but I could probably only name half the people in the game at this point without looking at the OP and was kinda thinking about just going with CapnAndy or Liger or someone because it's just going to be chaos until we're down to a manageable number of players anyway.

Mikujin posted:

This post irks me. You're rationalizing just putting a couple people in the lime-light and gunning for them until the game is "manageable."
--

Kashuno posted:

Jen’s posting is coming across as way too self conscious right now. When she was presenting her case on me she was coming across much more confident and poignant, even if I don’t agree. Right now she seems to be stumbling as she tries to waffle between being able to go either way on the way the Capn vote leans.

Mikujin posted:

This seems like a big ol' stretch. She commented on the case, discomfort about Andy, asked him a question, and then seemed satisfied with the answer. I'm not sure why what makes that seem like waffling at all; her play seems entirely reasonable. Making someone out to be the bad-guy like this, however, is unreasonable.

When summarizing his opinions of the game so far, he makes this post:
Throwaway town reads:

Mikujin posted:

Alright so having caught up I feel it's reasonable to comment on two of our more prolific posters. Despite people giving him a hard time about the fact he cares are perception, Andy's posts seem genuine and I don't think he's got some sinister motives. Amnistar, on the other hand, seems like a dog with a bone and that feels pretty town all the same.

Consistent with history scum reads (no votes):

quote:

As I pointed out in my catch-ups, there's two post giving me pause right now:
  • this post from xopods. It feels like he's just rationalizing a bad lynch on D1 while patting Amnistar on the back in a "there-there" buddy manner. He's not said much else today, but basically saying "it's ok to be wrong D1" comes across as feel-good poo poo from someone who knows the other guy has it wrong.
  • this post from kashno. As stated above, I feel like he's misrepresenting the interaction in order to make Jen look worse for it.

I'm hoping to see some more from merk and dex tomorrow, since both have bye and large said little. Bed time.

To me, this looks like a player coming to the thread and wanting to make consistent, light callouts and throwaway town reads rather than someone actually here to find scum.

2. Kloaked00:

Kloaked00 posted:

I think CapnAndy is posting in good faith. This is purely based on what I remember of him as a player from 10 years ago, but that's what I've got right now. Scientastic also reads town to me since in my experience, it takes a select scum player to wantingly make the first effort for turning from the joke phase to real discussion.

I'm actually going to ##vote Epsilon Plus. Reading the thread through it stuck out to me that I saw multiple posts from him, but couldn't remember an actual stance he's taken on anytime. Clicking his ? confirmed this. He has posts, but it's all worthless filler. Even his vote for CapnAndy appears to be filler and the reasoning (if you can call it that) for the vote is mostly a joke. Reads to me as scum trying to appear to have substance without actually taking a stance on anything.

It's the exact same case that I just made on Mikujin. Kloaked's catch up post is not someone looking at the thread and trying to find and nail scum. It's someone who is looking at the thread to find some safe reads to make with a couple light callouts that don't really matter at all.

3. Pussy Quipped:
Actively participating. Actively not scum hunting.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Kingcobweb’s Andy vote feels bandwagony to me

Andy’s posts read pretty genuine to me, and this feels like a vote that will slip under the radar.

This is Pussy Quipped's only content-filled post. PQ did the same thing in another game as scum that I followed live after having an investigation result saying PQ was scum, so it jumped out to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Epsilon Plus posted:

while I'm definitely not above the occasional filler joke posts, I think describing every single post I've made as filler is a bit much. CapnAndy even agreed with me that some of his wording was non-ideal, and who's going to agree with filler?

That said re: Kloaked, E+ has literally done nothing but is actively around to do said nothing. This post defending the nothing, though, kind of seems genuine.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
UPDATE: The Mikujin case is way stronger than the Kloaked case. I see where Kloaked is coming from now that I looked at E+ closer.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kloaked00 posted:

Are you saying that I made the same case on E+ that you made on Mikujin, or that you’re making the same case against Milujin and myself?

It's the same overall point against both of you. You are here to make safe reads instead of hunt scum.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kloaked00 posted:

Which part do you consider the safe read. What I said about Andy/Sci or the case I put forth against E+ ?

All of it. Nothing you said in that post matters. You're lightly flinging stuff.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
KK's tone reads pretty scummy. He's acting like town leader in posts but hasn't done anything to really advance discussion.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Khris Kruel posted:

Amnistar, you are now doubling down on your vote for capn andy. That's nice and all, but who else acting around you do you suspect?

This is a classic scum move when a player is voting someone you know is town. Appear helpful by asking a question... but really distance yourself from that player's vote on town.

It doesn't really look like KK helping a scum buddy because a subsequent post where KK says that Andy is town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I think I'm down with this: ##vote KK

I would like people to comment on the Mikujin case though.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
...and KK's Jen X "this post screams scum" is performative.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Scientastic posted:

I don't think KK has made enough posts to conclude "acting like town leader"

You don't need a lot of posts to have the tone I'm describing. Here are snippets that jumped out to me (almost his whole post history):

Khris Kruel posted:

points the interrogation lamp light at Amnistar

Who do you feel is supporting your case, and why are you uncomfortable with people supporting your cases?

Khris Kruel posted:

I find it a very town move to want to move to serious discussion quickly, so glad everyone's racketing up the board.

Khris Kruel posted:

Amnistar, you are now doubling down on your vote for capn andy. That's nice and all, but who else acting around you do you suspect?

One of the basic goals of scum is to get town to attack each other, and then push that lynch while making you the fall guy. If you're town, who would you suspect doing this?

Khris Kruel posted:

for the record, capnandy and amnistar are reading town to me. Looks like your normal day 1 egos clashing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dexanth posted:

Okay this person has gotten no scrutiny so ##Vote Mr. Humalong

honestly this requires very little to do:

it's been a bunch since d1 started and he has accused no one, no suspicion, nothing

13 posts and our best gets are

in response to Tom asking a question and

For kashuno posting 'slap fight'

like there is no signal, only noise

v scummy

Yeah, I saw this too. I thought it was weird Humalong voted Kashuno after me when I made no case. Part of me thought I might be right and that's a scum buddy distancing thinking I might have would up to making a claim, but then I thought I was overthinking it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Khris Kruel posted:

for the record, capnandy and amnistar are reading town to me. Looks like your normal day 1 egos clashing.

KK also implies that Andy and Amnistar are town.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I feel like KK is probably scum here. The more I think about it, the stronger the feeling comes.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
KK's reads are way overblown in confidence for d1:

Khris Kruel posted:

This screams scum to me.

Khris Kruel posted:

KK makes no mention at all of his concern over Amnistar earlier in the day. He also never makes an alignment read during that questioning.

Khris Kruel posted:

points the interrogation lamp light at Amnistar

Who do you feel is supporting your case, and why are you uncomfortable with people supporting your cases?

Khris Kruel posted:

I find it highly waffly and scummy to make cases and "feel uneasy" when people agree with your case.

Did KK forget that he had this read on Amnistar earlier?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
All, it's KK. I'll put the merk stamp of approval on that vote.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mr. Humalong posted:

The only people that call two other posters arguing a “slap fight” are scum or very bad players because it’s an enormous scum tell

When I read Kashuno's other stuff, I felt less confident about my vote. I didn't really think of this point though. I was instead thinking about your making the vote.

Hmm.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Do you think Humalong is town or scum?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

I wish search on these dumb forums worked so I could go back and find all the times I've used slapfight or slap fight over the years

I would think you were scum for putting effort into out of thread investigation as a defense of yourself instead of finding scum right here and right now, so it's probably for the best.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kloaked00 posted:

I’d still like to hear Merk explain how my case against someone posting without having much actual content is light flinging and scummy, whereas his case against someone posting without having much actual content is a good-faith townie effort

My case is me advocating strongly to get a player lynched, clearly willing to take whatever heat comes off of being wrong.

Your case will influence no one to do anything and likely be drowned out by cases made by stronger voices if E+ gets lynched. Your town reads are zero risk reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Mikujin posted:

Is "consistent with history" a bad thing? The post you are quoting was me quite plainly restating the things I'd said earlier in catching up. It seems your biggest concern is a lack of conviction: how does this stack up against players that have consistently been posting non-game content (or not posting at all)?

I caught KB in a game recently because he was making sure to keep his reads consistent over time rather than diving in and trying to figure out the game without much care for what he's said before. Scum care about perception more than town. Making sure to keep yourself consistent is more scummy than townie.

quote:

What game are you referring to w/r/t PQ?

Telephone Mafia.