Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Sure I’ll try this “Mafia” thing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Get in line peasants.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Max posted:

JFC I somehow win oldest regdate.

loving pathetic

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Holy crap it literally took 10 minutes to figure out how to get on the discord

1) click the link, try to save myself
2) email already registered
3) wtf I have a discord?
4) try desperately to remember email and password
5) (seven instances of CLICK EVERY MOTORCYCLE)
6) OK all set
7) welcome enter email!
8) email already taken
9) the gently caress!?
10) copy link as, paste into join discord, join discord
11) success? (I have no idea)

God damnit I used to be young and with it. I used to understand technology.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hastag vote Merk

edit: hashtag hashtag vote Merk

Nope looks like it didn't

(TF this was a joke I didn't actually edit it)

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Oh man there are so many people I remember from 13 years ago but I'm trying to put a memory to the name.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll help.

You're all loving morons, I am right listen to me! :argh:

Turn on my own monitor lol

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Max posted:

Remember when you had to collect everyone's AIM name and coordinating scum stuff was the wild loving west.

I did the entire Wild West Mafia and Wild West Mafia II with tons of roles and real time actions including standard roles and rules and including new mechanics like shootouts and currency / shop system ENTIRELY VIA PM

Kids these days.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Jose Valasquez posted:

I know, only town would commit to making the #1 scumtell though, so why are you voting for town?

You know this reminds me of a movie scene where the villain puts poison in one of the wine cups...

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I say Friday evening the sooner Day 1 is over the better.

Scientastic thank you we now have a topic.

Here's another point - once Scientastic got serious Sandwolf and Capn Andy posted simultaneously replies questioning the validity of the suspicion!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

CapnAndy posted:

I was gonna quote him and make a "scum coordination detected" joke but now it won't play right, thank you very much :mad:

If we're going to have serious conversation about this, though: Scientastic's accusation did not at all read serious to me, I thought it was a jokevote and don't blame Office Liger for ignoring it, and what is more likely here: that me and Sandwolf read a post, had the same reaction to it, typed up replies of similar length that took about the same time to write, and posted them at the same time, or that we're a scumteam who got together and made an actual plan of "okay let's write up the same post and post it together, are you ready, okay 3... 2... 1... HIT IT"

Yeah I didn't buy it but in my first post I wrote out "but that could change depending on how quickly he comes back" but then deleted it because I was curious how quickly he'd come back.

And there he is!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Pussy Quipped posted:

Is combing through peoples post history to see if they are posting elsewhere on the forums a thing? I don;t think I've seen anyone do this

Back in the day I remember people checking the users lists just to see if someone was browsing. You could get in trouble for leaving the window open on your computer while you took worked.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Poking around in Scientastic's profile after they called you out huh?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Alright I'm just pussyfooting around it without directly saying it I think Liger is scummy. Scientastic's original point on him being elsewhere was nothing but Liger's response to it was super suspicious. Immediately returned, making excuses, but what really did it was digging into Scientastic's profile (why?) while also trying to dismiss suspicion with a troll "lol" post, his only direct interaction with Scientastic. His dismissive attitude does not mesh with someone who is digging into the person's profile.

Going to provide the dreaded 3rd vote. ##vote Liger

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

kingcobweb posted:

Wait isn't this the second vote

Nope 3rd

But yeah lynch all lurkers lynch all liars. Always Be Lynching.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Dexanth posted:

frame this post we have best post in this thread here on page 4

Dexanth posted:

wait gently caress its page 9 for me

Huh what is this?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mr. Humalong posted:

What do you think it is?

Weird breadcrumbs

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Amnistar posted:

I think this is a scum post.

##vote CapnAndy

It feels self-conscious and self-aware.

Yeah Capn Andy what's up with that post?

The case is bad, but also good? His behavior is reading really disingenuous but you're giving him advice to perk up? You flat out say he's being dishonest but then say the best case against him is "unhelpful townie"?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

OFFICER LIGER posted:

i want to say first of all the way segmented quotes work on sa is stupid and wish that we had nesting quote trees when quoting posts with quotes in them

i just wanna say i appreciate how in the first paragraph you got annoyed at someone putting words in your mouth and in the last paragraph you go ahead and put words in their mouth

i've missed mafia

Hey folks I know we've all had a lot of fun today but it's time to come back to the guy who has been trying to be dismissive of things all day and wanders back into the thread just to make a few low-content posts to keep his posting up and then kicks up a ton of dust on Capn Andy without actually saying anything.

I also still get a scum vibe from Capn Andy based on that first post, but he has seemed pretty genuine since.

Come back to Liger folks he's literally pretending not to care while also digging into peoples profiles (and now trying to make a joke out of it to redirect from how scummy this is as a guy who "doesn't care lol") and he's just in here throwing spaghetti at Capn Andy without directly saying he's scummy or voting for him.

It's scum 101 redirect but don't look like you're redirecting, it's day 1 so without the vote no one will remember he was pushing the bandwagon onto Andy without actually saying it.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Going back through posts now! As I write this the vote is now 5 for KK, 3 for Merk, and 3 for Capn Andy, and I’m the only one left on Liger. He posted this and deserves to have the question answered.

OFFICER LIGER posted:

dismissive of things...the one thing. pointing out a cognitive dissonance in andy's post is kicking up a ton of dust? also how is clicking profiles scummy? please, write it out. tell me how its scummy. i want to know your thought process.

Your attitude since the beginning has been more jokey and flippant. Someone made a case, sure a weak one, but you did suddenly reappear. Not super suspicious on its own, but the response is – when Scientastic pointed out the timing you replied with a dismissive “lol”. You returned at 2:58 (my time), talked wrestling at 3:00, and then at 3:06 posted that Scientastic was likely in the wrestling forum too, because you’d looked at his profile. This means that you returned and in 8 minutes, in addition to posting, had looked through Scientastic’s profile.

The reason this seems very off to me is because of your cavalier dismissive attitude. A person who is genuinely flicking cigarette butts in the face of an accusation wouldn’t care enough to do anything deeper than that. By going into his profile you hoped to learn something – I think you were trying to see if he had been posting anywhere else, in order to catch him being hypocritical, or just learn more about your accuser, which doesn’t fit with the attitude you’re projecting.

To summarize it all - It seems scummy to me to be outwardly dismissive of an accusation yet privately concerned about the accuser enough to check out their profile and / or post history. This duality of attitude and action seems disingenuous, which is scummy.

The second point, on Capn Andy, I think is much stronger. In my post I point out how you come in when there’s a new bandwagon forming and, rather than actually call someone scummy, simply advance the bandwagon passively by pointing out a contradiction in Capn Andy’s logic. Looking for contradictions, dishonesty, distraction, etc., is the main way we hunt for scum. By pointing it out you are drawing attention to it, which may cause others to sign onto the bandwagon.

There’s nothing wrong with this – this is how cases get made, but in the post in which you draw attention to an inconsistency you don’t accuse him, vote for him, or even directly call him scummy. You passively push the bandwagon without actually putting your name to it or even creating a case. You invite others to observe Capn Andy’s contradictory behavior, but leave it for them to draw their own conclusions. It’s a bit like setting a smoke bomb then letting someone else yell fire – you get what you want, but don’t get any of the blame. If you were scum looking at this as an opportunity to distract from what you saw as a spurious accusation this is one of the classic ways to do it.

This is why I think you’re the best bet for a day 1 lynch.

I know votes have moved away significantly but I’m curious how many people still agree with me here?

Other notes on some cases brought up as I caught up:

Capn Andy: I found the post I quoted pretty suspicious in how it address Liger’s behavior – it seemed to want to have things both ways, or it felt almost rewritten, hard to put my finger on it. Saying Liger was scummy but offering him a hand was really weird. Since then I’ve felt a bit better, his posts have been genuine feeling, but I’m still suspicious.
KK: I can see the original “nothing to see here / this screams scum” duality. Honestly I don’t know – I’m kind of 50/50 on KK. I’d be really curious to hear his response, but honestly him not being around to defend himself feels like a point in his favor. I haven’t seen any major bandwagons forming away from him in the time being, just scattered cases and votes. Again that’s a very very soft town-tell, though.
xopods:

This post rubbed me the wrong way, particularly as I was waffling on KK:

xopods posted:

Also, for anyone on the fence about KK or not really seeing it, there's a strong case to be made for a D1 lunch that can clearly be attributed to one or a small number of players.

Often you end up with votes scattered around close to deadline and Townies shuffle around semi-randomly trying to figure out who there's enough support to lunch. That makes it very easy for Scum to get a Town lunch without taking direct responsibility for it.

I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure KK's Scum cause it's impossible to be 100% sure. But you've got me and merk here willing to take responsibility for this, plus probably DBD though I don't want to speak for him. Anyway, IMO any lunch where you can say clearly "here are the people who made that happen" is a good one from the perspective of information later in the game.

Also, KK will probably turn out to be Scum, so that's also a very good reason to lunch him.

It feels like an attempt to set the tone of the post-lynch discussion before it’s even revealed.

(continued scrolling I see KCW pointed something similar out) Reading his post I agree the xopods post is really weird. It’s like “oops my vote on a townie caused a bandwagon, if I take responsibility for it now I can cut the whole ‘who started this’ conversation off at the root”. The follow up posts seem to push more this idea that a lynch is ok so long as people voted for it. Of course it is – that’s how all lynches work, people vote and we have a track record, pointing this out reads like he is worried his pushing of KK would be examined later and he wanted to get ahead of it.

I still have the strongest read on Liger but if people aren’t convinced here xopods is a strong number 2 choice for me.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

xopods posted:

You should probably listen to the people who know my meta rather than trying to read me based on your own meta?

Hooooooo boy.

"Just walk a mile in my shoes! Scummy things are objectively good now everyone agrees!"

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

xopods posted:

I also think TT's being kinda scummy here now that I think about it. Trying to fan whatever flames he can around people hating my posting and saying he's 50/50 on KK while keeping his vote on Liger and pushing that case harder now that it's starting to look less likely that he'll be a major lunch candidate at the end of the day.

Genuine question - what about any of those things you just said is scummy?

Hiding behind a “meta” is super suspicious. People who haven’t played in a while are supposed to just sit back and wait for current players to come and tell us how things are done now? Or did you mean meta in the sense of how you post in other games?

And yes I still am going with Liger as my first instinct.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

xopods posted:

I'm kinda being guilty of what I just accused KCW of here, but it's what I see as a solid D1 plan for Scum: push really hard on a case you don't think is quite persuasive enough to get others to follow you on it, while less directly fanning the flames on other likely lunches. It's a way of appearing to behave as Town while avoiding accountability.

Like, the best thing that can possibly happen to you as Scum is to build a plausible case on someone that you can push on for as many days as possible without them actually flipping.

I mean I can kind of see this, it's one of the things I don't like that Liger did - he threw some passive attention at Capn Andy right as he was gaining votes without actually saying he was scummy or accusing him. In this case I'm pushing my favored candidate but also addressing the conversations of the day. The more everyone goes on record on various topics the better for everyone.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Curious about this. Is being busy/lurking/anxious to reply (whatever the reason being of not posting) a town tell? :question:

In only the vaguest sense that I find people who come out of the woodwork when they get accused or voted to be suspicious for two possible reasons: either they are lurking in the thread and not posting (scummy) or they have communications avenues with other people (part of a scum team) who then AIM / SA PM them saying "dude you're getting bandwagoned". The fact that KK hasn't come in to do anything as the bandwagon has grown suggests to me he is more likely to be town, but again it's not a strong read. I'd say returning in quickly after a case is scummy (and one of the first things that made me look at Liger, by the way!) but not being around could have a lot of reasons so it's just a tiny bit townie.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Khris Kruel posted:

please explain to me why only 36 hours into the game you must claim? I think 6 hours is much better for a time to claim.

24 hours reeks of desperation from you. You should really defer to the better players in the thread.

We have a massive number of people across multiple time zones and you're clearly the preferred lunch (with even Kloaked putting you at an effective -1) so delaying things to give only 6 hours before the deadline doesn't seem appropriate.

Also your response has not been reassuring. I'm no longer 50/50 on you I think you're scum too. I don't see that changing over the next 24 hours.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Hal Incandenza posted:

KK, just claim so I don't have to read 50 more posts about why you should claim

How about we read 50 more posts about you sucking

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Review of the KK lunch (trying to get into this habit it’s a good change):

First vote – xopods: In this post xopods says they may prefer KK to Kashuno or E+, which is interesting because:

Second vote – Kashuno: Here Kashuno says it’s a good catch and votes KK, but also says they will put thoughts together on E+. This is intriguing to me because it’s a nexus of the same people. xopods suspects E+ and Kashuno, votes KK, Kashuno votes KK based on xopods case, mentions E+.

Next we have two key non-voting opinions – the first is Amni saying “I like the catch on KK” but NOT voting as well. The next is Scientastic (confirmed town) saying they can see the case but not directly voting, but saying that Amni’s post reads scummy.

First key takeaway from early pressure on KK – Amni declines to place a third vote on KK, Scientastic finds this suspicious, Scientastic now dead. Amni’s pushing the case but not voting IS suspicious. Amni claims he liked his vote on Andy better, let’s come back to it…

Third vote – Merk: Merk comes in with a very strong vote, claiming KK’s suspicion of Jen X (confirmed town) was ‘performative’.

Fourth vote – Humalong: this one reads townie to me – at first I thought he might be using Merk’s points to pass off responsibility for his vote but looking back he had been engaging on it, albeit with relatively low content. Townie vibe.

Fifth vote – Scientastic: :siren: I believe Scientastic’s votes are the most important here. He votes KK here but ALSO says xopods is scum bussing KK.

Sixth vote – Spoonsy: at this point the bandwagon was going strong, so I’m doubting scum would jump onto it in a big way. Thus Spoonsy reads town to me, along with Deadbeat Dad, except for…

Seventh vote – Amnistar: this vote reads scummy based on the above. Amni had already declined to place a third vote and got called out on it. Now he makes the vote official, but still hedges by saying he prefers Andy for a lunch. It seems like he got caught pushing a lunch without voting for it and still wants his cake and to eat it too by saying he prefers Andy. Why vote KK then? There was still more than 24 hours before any deadline…

Eighth vote – Sandwolf: this reads townie to me. Also notably mentions Kush and E+ (from the network above) along with Andy.

Ninth vote – Deadbeat Dad: again aside from Amni (who had already soft voted and then was kind of cornered into voting) this bandwagon formed quickly enough that I doubt scum were involved in these votes. Thus DD, Sandwolf, and Spoonsy get town cred from me. If it was a slower moving bandwagon, or closer to the deadline, I’d be more suspicious.

Tenth vote – Capn Andy: Andy’s post is a bit odd because it includes very strong language on two other players being scummy. Humalong “I really, really like this case” and Merk “This twinged my antenna so hard”. The post then ends in a vote of KK. Not sure how I read this yet.

Eleventh vote – Leith: does a rundown of everyone, but I wonder if this is an opportunity to just get on the record about scum buddies in a soft way. No hard read here. This is right around the point where I think bandwagon votes become less townie cred because the lunch had too much momentum.

Twelfth vote – zzyzx KK returns, zzyzx comes and votes, and then lists who he will focus on if KK flips scum. This seems a bit suspicious to me – as scum in this situation you know he won’t flip scum (or at least your scum team) so doing this would be a good way to set opinions but then back down because “well he didn’t flip scum”.

Thirteenth vote – Dexanth: voting for KK while saying Humalong, their main suspect, is going to escape intact. This is an easy way to distance yourself from a lunch. In the post Dexanth posts a questionable read, but it’s at least justified, what makes me raise my eyebrow is pointing out the -2 to lunch. It’s almost inviting people to end the discussion. If Dexanth wanted more discussion then pointing it out and then saying ‘let’s hold back’ would make sense, in this case just pointing it out, but not saying what we should do with that information, is suspicious.

Forteenth vote – Epsilon Plus: A key player in all this is E+. Here they come in to put KK at -1 to hammer and explicitly push to end the day. This reads shady to me.

Fifteenth vote – KCW KCW comes in to drop the hammer, but this was after KK started essentially poo poo posting. KCW acknowledges he’s ending the day early and honestly his post reads town – I don’t think he’d stick out his neck like that if he was scum and believed KK would flip town. Strong town read from KCW.

Wait, you might be asking, fifteen votes, why fifteen? It only took 14 to lunch!

That’s right! Here’s why:

Scientastic moves their vote to xopods

Scientastic points out this post:

xopods posted:

Also, for anyone on the fence about KK or not really seeing it, there's a strong case to be made for a D1 lunch that can clearly be attributed to one or a small number of players.

Often you end up with votes scattered around close to deadline and Townies shuffle around semi-randomly trying to figure out who there's enough support to lunch. That makes it very easy for Scum to get a Town lunch without taking direct responsibility for it.

I'm not going to say I'm 100% sure KK's Scum cause it's impossible to be 100% sure. But you've got me and merk here willing to take responsibility for this, plus probably DBD though I don't want to speak for him. Anyway, IMO any lunch where you can say clearly "here are the people who made that happen" is a good one from the perspective of information later in the game.

Also, KK will probably turn out to be Scum, so that's also a very good reason to lunch him.

Was scummy. I had also just mentioned this post rubbed me the wrong way as well. It still does. Here’s what Scientastic had to say:

Scientastic posted:

And xopods is trying to simultaneously act like he's leading the charge and being an aggressive scum hunter AND he's trying to say that the effort is being shared

Scientastic posted:

I don't disagree with the sentiment, what I don't like is the "I am making myself personally accountable" coupled with "don't forget all these other people who want to lynch KK"

It's like he knows the alignment of KK, and either doesn't want to make it too obvious that he's bussing, or doesn't want to be held solely responsible for lycnhing town.

What makes this post particularly suspicious to me is we can now we can look back on xopods’s posting in context with the complete vote. What we see is a pattern of hedging his own suggested lunch of KK in the context of the overall vote.

Hedge one – engaging on Mikujin, timing – after third vote: This is a weird one. xopods has suggested a KK lunch, Merk agrees, but asks for comments on Mikujin, and xopods is the only one to really engage. In the midst of his lunch gaining steam he pauses to describe a “null read” on mikujin, essentially adding nothing to the conversation. In isolation this wouldn’t read like much, but as his lunch of KK accelerates it seems like he’s eager to talk about something else, even if he has nothing to say.

Hedge two – timing, after fourth vote: here momentum is REALLY building. He had just made this post:

xopods posted:

Yep, same. Though I focused on the inconsistency in that Jen post as the most concrete thing I can point to, everything about his history sets my spider sense tingling and definitely stronger when I was reading it the second time this morning than the first time yesterday.

It's that infallible D1 gut feeling for sure.

Feeling VERY certain, but now in this post he goes completely sideways. Suddenly he’s talking about a day 1 lunch as a POLICY lunch, saying that the value in it comes from the vote history, not even just catching scum. He says he’s not “100% sure”, which of course how could he be, so why even say it? Because in that post he is ALREADY setting the stage for KK’s town flip. The bandwagon is out of the station and he’s the conductor – so what does he do? He says “you’ve got me and Merk willing to take responsibility, plus probably DBD”. He’s already diffusing responsibility. He’s already talking about KK’s town flip, even though he’s not directly saying he thinks KK is town (how could he?).

This is the post of a scum player who made a case, caught what they thought they could argue was an inconsistency, pointed it out to stay active and be involved in the discussion, and then suddenly saw the train leaving the station. Why worry about “responsibility”? Why worry about “here’s who made it happen”? These are things SCUM worry about.

Then the cherry on the cake – he has to come all the way back around, trying not to seem like a hypocrite, and says “KK will probably turn out to be scum”. Bending over backwards to justify the town flip while still forced to stick to his first “scum read”. These are the mental contortions of a scum player who is already figuring out how they are going to spin KK’s flip day 2.

##vote xopods

Scientastic helping to make the case from beyond the grave

It’s the timing of everything within the context of the lynch that makes me most suspicious. Xopods was talking in infallible gut feelings, cheering the lynch on, but the moment it hit critical mass they’re suddenly talking about KK’s eventual town flip in veiled terms to diffuse responsibility. At the same time he’s backed into the corner of constantly saying how much he believes KK to be scum, yet as he is saying this he offers NO additional.

xopods posted:

I assume you that if I was trying to do that, I would be way more subtle about it.

We shouldn't base a D2 lunch on a D1 lunch in any case, that's not what I meant. I was talking about the long term. D1 lunches are often throwaways that don't enter into late game attempts to solve the game because everyone just kinda meanders around and picks someone that everyone can agree is at least "not not-scummy." Those sorts of lunches aren't very informationally useful.

Mostly I just got excited that my KK case was getting traction including from merk who never agrees with me about anything, and wanted to get as many people on it as possible before getting started on my work day, in case something else happened to get people sidetracked. In a game this size if a case loses momentum it's hard to get it started again.

Like look at this post, they’re scrambling! “If I was scum I’d be sneaky!” like come on. Remember how xopods was saying that the day 1 lunch would have good “information” and thus was worthwhile? Now he’s saying we SHOULDN’T base our day 2 decisions on it.

Xopods says he was excited and wanted to get as many people onto it as possible. The way you do that as town is to argue a player is scum and why. What does xopods say?

Start at his post history in the thread here and read forward, rather than pushing KK’s lunch he is involved in tons of other discussions, but feels an obligation to every once in a while talk about how KK is scum without actually adding anything new. Part of this is that KK hadn’t posted, but he’s not actually advocating for KK’s lunch here – he’s trying to reconcile the fact that he knows he’s voting for town with his posting, which doesn’t seem like that at all. It’s the post of a scum player who knows they can’t back off a lunch they started so we get the hedging. “KK WILL PROBABLY turn out to be scum” “FROM MY POINT OF VIEW” KK’s going to flip scum. These are the mental gymnastics scum make leading bandwagons on townies.

xopods posted:

xopods posted:

Like, from my point of view I really do think KK's going to flip Scum

xopods posted:

He posted plenty up until DBD, me and merk all cased him in rapid succession and the votes started coming in. If you read the three of us you'll see why we all think he's scum... we all focused on different aspects of his history but FWIW I also agree with the points both of them made.

Like look at this:

xopods posted:

Excuse me, my case was excellent.

However, it hasn't gone unnoticed by me that Kash's vote did seem to have a strong self-preservation instinct to it. If I'm wrong about KK I imagine Kash will still be on my scum shortlist tomorrow.

“My case was excellent” followed immediately by “If I’m wrong about KK”.

It was Day 1 for a long time, but in xopods’s mind, day 2 had already begun. He was just trying to post like his head was still in day 1. It didn’t work.

xopods posted:

Sci is acting like Kellyanne to KK's Donald, repeating his talking points, justifying his behaviour. It's weird and feels not genuine... I feel like even a Townie who thought this was a bad lunch would be expressing more curiousity about the flip and perhaps thinking aloud about how a Scum or not-Scum flip would change his opinions about others.

It feels like he already knows what the flip will be, though why he'd be acting this way is less clear.

If KK's scum, maybe he's hoping we'll all say "well I thought he was defending a scumbuddy before, but why would he go on defending him so hard after he was already hammered?"
If KK's not scum, I guess the upside is more obvious, that he increases his own credibility and perhaps undermines the confidence of everyone who was fully convinced of KK's scumminess at the end.

(If anyone's wondering why I'm saying "not Scum" rather than "Town," I think there's some chance he ends up flipping 3P if his claim turns out to be true, since 3Ps hunting each other is a pretty common game-within-a-game in big setups).

More focus on Scientastic, but again waffling, already thinking about day 2 townie flip. Scientastic says “oh you think we’re scum together”? Assuming xopods knows KK will flip town his ‘not sure’ reads scummy. He’s not pushing Scientastic here, he’s tying his view on Scientastic to KK’s alignment. This gives him an excuse later to push off of Scientastic when it became clear they had to go.

xopods posted:

I'm not sure. It's just very weird that you're defending him this hard after hammer, regardless of what his alignment turns out to be.

It's also weird that you're making the same nonsense point he was about me trying to absolve myself of responsibility for this. I understand the people suspicious of me because they think I'm trying too hard to be Town leader, but the idea that I've somehow been excusing myself of this lunch in advance seems batshit to me.

And in response to the kill, knowing day 1 was scientastic pushing xopods:

xopods posted:

I'm glad Sci got killed cause I might have been voting for him today otherwise. Feeling like I'm probably going to go back to Kashuno but will have to go back and do more reading as I wasn't paying as close attention to everyone else second half of D1 once I was on KK.

Xopods is glad scientastic was killed because he might be voting for them otherwise. Talk about moving the goalposts. Xopods here completely reframes the conversation, again, as him accusing scientastic. In reality is was scientastic pushing xopods, his “I’d be voting for him” rings particularly hollow considering how he had attempted to tie scientastic to KK. This is a scum player who removed a threat and is trying to rewrite history now that the threat can’t argue back.

Anyway I already voted. Based on my re-read of the day 1 lynch my first instinct for second priority would be Amni based on the notes above.

Still suspicious of Liger but given xopods behavior he’s my number 1, and I’d like to know more about the disappearance before drawing any further conclusions, not that we can apparently vote them anyway.

Let’s lunch xopods all!

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Amnistar posted:

Maybe it was unclear, I was casting aspersions on TT for their case that has a weird pivot from me to Xopods, like they wrote half of it to get me lunched, then pivoted to xopods after chefcking in on the thread and seeing xopods got pressure.

You couldn't read my entire post in 3 minutes. Clearly you saw your name, saw I called you scummy, and jumped to defend yourself.

The post was about KK's lunch, the votes, how they came out, and what we can learn from them. You and xopods look the worst. Just because I'm going to make a full case on xopods doesn't mean I'm not going to point out that you looked bad during the lynch and others give me town vibes in the process of analyzing the votes. You might have known that if you didn't skim it for yourself and then post a knee-jerk reaction.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Amnistar posted:

I read your post until you pivoted to talking only about xopods and was really confused at the tone shift of the case. It doesn't feel like a natural flow of thoughts, it feels like half a case was mode and then discarded for a different case. And it's suspicious that the pivot in tone was from me to xopods, at the time when several other people are talking about xopods as a vote candidate.

You didn't. Even if you had started at exactly 12:57 when I posted it and taken only 30 seconds to write out your feelings that gives you 2:30 to get through a post that tops 6 pages in a word doc. I go through all 15 votes, talk about my feelings of each, and talk about Scientastic's behavior (knowing now that he's town). No way you read all that.

You saw I suspected you, skimmed it, and tried to spin it as quickly as you could. That's what you spent your 120-150 seconds on.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Amnistar posted:

To further clarify, you *stopped* mentioning me, even though I continued to be active well into the end of the day, making posts. None of those made your read, which is a wierd thing if you think I'm scum. You ONLY quote xopods after the halfway point of your post.

Holy moly read the loving post I spent 6 pages analyzing the entire day 1 lynch including identifying a primary and secondary scum candidate based on my analysis and, based on that primary candidate, build out a case, and you want MORE?

You skimmed the post, I get it, what more do you want? You want me to quote every post from day 1 and read it individually? Did you notice there were hyperlinks in there so that the post wasn't a huge mess of quote blocks and it was actually readable?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Amnistar posted:

I love that your response is "there is no way you could possibly read all the words I wrote fast enough to respond!"

It's absolutely true, and super scummy.

If you were town you would have seen the vote for you but read on to understand it. You did no such thing. The timestamps are 100% relevant because they show you acting not out of a concern to understand my points or see if my case on xopods made sense but to get ahead of the narrative and spin my post as quickly as humanly possible. That's what scum would do.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mafia edit - suspicion not vote.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Jose Valasquez posted:

This reads to me like someone who knows KK is gonna flip town and is trying very hard to set it up that he doesn't know KK is gonna flip town.

There's a 10% chance this works. Can someone tell me how to add a gif to a post?

[img]https://i.imgur.com/lNUh0uV.gif[/gif]

Jose did you read my massive post? I know we've played a bunch of games together in the past but honestly I can't remember your style but something in my long-term memory says to me you're not a "huge post" reader.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mafia edit:

?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Mr. Humalong posted:

ill show you a fuckin meltdown

*points to KK day 1*

Hahahaha ok I like this

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Xopods didn't "go ham" on the lunch day 1 - he made a tiny case, it got a lot of steam, then when it was clear it was catching on he started behaving oddly, litigating day 2 before day 1 was over, and overcompensated by at that point leaning more into KK mostly through "(tons of equivocation) oh but I think he's scum!" type posts.

Jose I stand by the Liger bit it was super weird to go profile perusing while feigning dismissal.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

xopods posted:

And if you do end up lunching me, don't loving go and figure out who to blame for me and lunch that person, and then do the same on D4 for whoever was first and loudest on him etc.

This is a dramatic misrepresentation of the cases against you (at least mine), and also apparently implies that we should use votes and flips to determine scum, which is basically the only way outside of night actions.

xopods posted:

##vote Leith

It's him, this guy's the scum.

And this is not productive.

On flavor - people please do not get into flavor. If there are roles surrounding a character's position (teacher, student) then that's a role, and claiming your "flavor" of being a student or a teacher is just revealing more for whoever is targeting them. Outside of that I sincerely doubt the game is going to be designed in such a way that your flavor as a character is going to somehow imply whether you're scum or not, so it doesn't matter, and frankly it seems like a really big opportunity to distract rather than participate.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Not gonna lie I got busy and lost the thread on this one. Skimming through I see the cases on xopods (strong agree) and Amni (agree) and also have seen posts about Leith (haven't looked into it) and E+ (generally agree he is scummy).

Can someone advocating for them link to a good post summarizing the case on Leith, E+, and Hal or do a quick summary? Sorry :(

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Holy moly I do NOT like the Spoonsy bandwagon NOR do I like the KCW bandwagon - I've gotten townie vibes off of both of them, and in particular I do not think KCW would have hammered if he were scum knowing a townie's about to get lunched. WIFOM it all you want most scum tend to not intervene when the town is making a mistake.

I'm really surprised by the pressure off of xopods. The fact that other people keep scrambling to find alternative lunches this late makes me feel very confident in my vote. This feels like a town that is being led around in twelve different directions because the direction it was obviously heading early in day 2 was correct. I stand by my vote, but I'm of course convincable, particularly on Amni (though I haven't gotten the chance to give his full posting a complete look he did hit my scum radar in my KK lunch review and then his reaction to that was incredibly scummy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

I find it quite remarkable and worth pointing out that this same thread that was able to drive so quickly to a consensus about a town lunch is suddenly stuck in neutral on xopods with bandwagons on Amni, Spoonsy, and now KCW squirming in every direction. I think voting KCW is a big mistake.