Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
is this full? i genuinely cant tell

but since this game seems all about ghosts waking up i think im game i could use the distraction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Token Female posted:

There's like 5-6 spots left I think.

Okay cool then make that -1 I guess?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Leith Maclaine posted:

No Steak and No Lumpen, now how are we going to generate D1 content?

I literally planned to vote Lumpen as my opening post

im sad

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Hal Incandenza posted:

You still could have, seems like you played yourself

quote:

that is a good point ##Vote Lumpen

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Do we need to unvote at all or is Votefinder smart enough for that these days

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

i think votefinder is smart enough and i just remember ecco games requiring unvotes despite that

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Token Female posted:

I have that feature turned off currently. This is not an Ecco game.

so is that yes we dont need to unvote or yes we do need to help i am not good with computers

(because I am a wizard)

(pew pew magic PEW PEW)

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

zzyzx posted:

I told votefinder to resolve Dexanth's vote for Dexanth, and it added "Lumpen" as an alias of his, so let's find out.

##vote Lumpen

wow thats rude also its hers but otherwise i support this if it leads to a lumpen lynch

even if it means i die in the process

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Leith Maclaine posted:

It is worth the experiment. If we get there the laughs would be worth it.

##vote Lumpen

trap sprung young scum caught ##Vote Leith Maclaine

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

You mean betamax

Laserdisc, it's shiny and that makes it go faster

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

dont we have that already

dont you to wizard jail forever for using it

i guess its less a head cutting spell though so maybe just cutting someone's head off is okay

actually like if I magically levitate a knife and plunge it into someone's sternum is that less bad than using the killing curse like

whats the difference

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

merk posted:

##vote Dexanath - completely ignored my HoN beta reference.

i only catch HoN release references these days

i build my codex level 5 mate

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

This sounds like death eater talk. Consider this a strong :siren:FINGER OF SUSPICION:siren: on Dexanth.

I am happy with my merk vote for now though, he must pay for the crimes of the past.

consider this my big FINGER OF TACOS on you

it means nothing

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

I respect this, consider my :siren:FINGER OF SUSPICION:siren: lifted

thank you i am glad we could resolve this

you can keep the finger of tacos though

its a little old but personally i find the taco smell kind of homey

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

EccoRaven posted:

I'm a replacement

mods is this true is ecco in this game

like that was the only thing missing for me

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

also tbh i have never seen capn andy gambit actually followed and i still support the lynching of lurkers on principle

it does require the scum to be kind of sporting as well though which like, you cant count on, so instead we should just encourage the general murder of lurkers all around

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mikujin posted:

I want to vote you for bringing up HoN at all but

I'd rather vote anyone who says "fake news" ever
##vote xopods

let me sell you my most powerful potions, good hero

no you cannot have these potions

but i must have them so i can SOLO MID

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

anyways much as I want to jokephase forever it seems some people are trying to kill that

that makes me much sad

but you can rest assured that i intend to remain whimsical as long as possible

scientastic does not read as scummy, but as overeager town with flimsy reads at best, which is how my ancient memory says fits scientastic, so you know, same old same old

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I mean... I know of at least one time it happened!

you actually pulled it off once?

yaaaaaaaayyy

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

anyways, i am hungry and since i do not have any good bread it is time for some donuts

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Literally how do you think it got named after me?

you kept pushing for it in game after game hoping it would catch on but it never did

but the hope remains alive

is how i thought it went

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I have been playing mafia here for five years and have never heard of the CapnAndy gambit, sorry :(

frame this post we have best post in this thread here on page 4

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

wait gently caress its page 9 for me

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

So here's the story, though sadly time has dulled my memories of specifically what game and who was involved:

I got into a game late as a replacement, and the town was in LYLO. After reading over the game so far, I noticed that posting quality had sharply dropped off with every passing day, and especially in the lategame, the town had largely fallen silent. It was obvious that the scum had absolutely dominated.

What was weird, though, was that there was one very good player still alive. (Like I said, I can't remember any more, but I think it was maybe KK?) This was someone I couldn't believe was okay with the state of the town; he should have been raging at the silence and attempting to pick up the conversation and carry it himself if need be. Instead, he was apparently okay with the state of affairs, and since the state of affairs heavily favored scum, well then. So I voted him, making the case that his very survival was suspicious; the scum will naturally pick off all the good players as time goes on, since they want an incapable town. They'd gotten everyone else, but not the one who was obviously the best player remaining in the game by no small margin. Therefore: scum. My argument was persuasive, we lynched him, he was scum, and the town won.

And thus, the CapnAndy gambit: If the town is losing, lynch the best player.

wait gently caress my memory is awful i thought yours was about lynching lurkers

i mean the OG Andy is quality too, but I am all for lurker murder meta to keep the game fun just fling out them death hexes and whatever other types of murder or incapacitation or turning into a newt or whatever we probably have going on

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

Huh what is this?

its called i tried to guess how many posts there had been and was off by half

so

its called

dexanth is kind of dumb sometimes

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

tbh the andy thing is a fair crit like, its a very wishywashy post

people are latching on because its honestly the first solid 'oh yea that IS scummy' post of the game so far

like other stuff till now is reaching but the equivocation is textbook scum equivocating

also mmph, food is good, happy stomach means even more chill me

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

It’s so weird to me reading old players post and being like “wow has the overall meta shifted this much”

please elaborate im actually curious lol

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Okay this person has gotten no scrutiny so ##Vote Mr. Humalong

honestly this requires very little to do:

it's been a bunch since d1 started and he has accused no one, no suspicion, nothing

13 posts and our best gets are

Mr. Humalong posted:

What do you think it is?

in response to Tom asking a question and

Mr. Humalong posted:

##vote kashuno

For kashuno posting 'slap fight'

like there is no signal, only noise

v scummy

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

also the KK callout is a good one and I would happily vote there as well but want scrutiny on this guy in the interim

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Amnistar posted:

Dislike this. It was clear that the vote on Kash was because Kash implied that both andy and I are town.

okay looking at what prompted it you have a point

otoh the fact you rush to defend him so fast kind of is also scummy

like you know let him defend himself instead of providing defense before they can justify their own actions

all he has to do now is go 'oh what amnistar said' and yea, we get no useful info

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

I can't really it's like..a vibe, I guess

but i mean vibes have a feel you know, like is it groovy or chill or full of spiders?

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mr. Humalong posted:

I think I was chosen as an easy opportunity to appear like they were scum hunting. I have more than 5 posts so they didn’t have to appear like they’re picking a lurker, but I haven’t written any essays so it also gave them an easy angle to take.

you were chosen through the process of 'reading along the thread, I went 'wait huh this person is in the game and I clearly recall that but i know nothing they've said that was meaningful'

you having more than 5 posts is key yes because a lurker could plausibly have 'is lurking' as a defense to 'am not scumhunting aggressively' but you were continuing to emptycontentpost even well past that

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Kashuno posted:

These suspicions on Dex are extremely bad. Just because 'other players bad too' doesn't mean you shouldn't call out someone who caught your attention and it's weird to imply otherwise.

This is worth noting because yes. Also like, 27 people, I may not have done this in ages but I remember enough to know I am not getting 27 solid reads D1. Therefore its 'Hey, what do i see that's off' and that was off.

then i looked into it more and it felt still off

and since you know town wants to catch scum and part of that is actually making statements of belief for later scrutiny, this was one worth putting down

its p simple, really

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mikujin posted:

Hmmmmmm I guess this is a fair-point. Scum making this call-out as probably a lot more keen on being self-reflective of how it looks compared to their own posting. I'm gonna make a mental note to slide Dex from scummy to lazy columns.

'chill' is my preferred column but ill take lazy

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Of posters so far who've had considerable activity around them that I recall:

CapnAndy - Strong town read
Amnistar - Light town read
KK - Scum behavior; happy to vote
Xopods - Kingcobweb post is one I found myself agreeing with after reading Mikujin's response to it. Scummy behavior. Will vote, but like KK better
Mr. Humalong - Nothing about their defense has changed my feel on them. Still feels scummy. Not as scummy as KK, maybe a bit stronger than Xopods.

Happy to vote for any of the above 3, staying on Humalong for now because KK & Xopods both already under considerable not me scrutiny

Other rough reads:
DBD - Town vibes; not intense, not a strong read, just light vibes
Jose Valasquez - Town-ish vibes, also not intense read
merk - can't form opinion on at this time, want to but is reading like blank slate still
Scientastic - Townie, but still overly zealous in going SEE IM RIGHT good to know that hasnt changed
Tom Tucket - town vibes, see DBD/Jose
Yuming - Lol cant read her yet but old memory says scum Yuming tends to slip up anyways
Mikujin - Townie; about same level of townie read as scientastic

So there yall are 3 scumpicks havent really changed and I don't have more yet

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mafia edit Pussy Quipped & Epsilon Plus are also scum candidates forgot to add them in; not as strong a read yet as the other 3 though, more 'do not like their vibes'

Would vote, but not as happy to vote yet as the other 3

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

i am now catching up with Yuming's posts (aka I have a lot more to go through still) but that is now a much townier vibe after she became active like ~10 hours ago

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

Mr. Humalong posted:

I didn’t read those essays the first time around and I’m sure as poo poo not reading them a second time, but good effort Leith.

this is a scummy post

however since you are going to escape D1 intact

##Vote Khris Kruel

The tone of those posts lately is 'haha you are wrong' in my read, and while town would be upset about false accusation town would also care more about nailing scum

KK leads more like angry YALL ARE SO DUMB

I believe that puts them at -2 also

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

xopods posted:

Hahaha, what? I have not waffled at all. I can't be 100% sure because it's impossible to be 100% sure of anyone's alignment on D1 of a game of Mafia, but I'm as confident in this as any D1 gut read I've ever made and I haven't wavered at all on that.

confirmed masons TRAP SPRUNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

to be clear thats not a roleclaim of any kind here thats me saying xopods is wrong even if that post isnt really a case

more just its fun to be technically correct