Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vanguard is a counter to basically anything people are running right now as no-one is running mages. I haven’t been flying up the ranks but I’ve been reliably gaining just running my old faithful Vanguard Mystic comps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

njsykora posted:

Vanguard is a counter to basically anything people are running right now as no-one is running mages. I haven’t been flying up the ranks but I’ve been reliably gaining just running my old faithful Vanguard Mystic comps.

Who's the damage dealer in that comp?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Miftan posted:

Who's the damage dealer in that comp?

You can run the old faithful carry Mordekaiser build on Hecarim (not tested enough to know if this is actually good or if Heca's healing is so stupidly good that it works anyway), or go Bonky Kong on Wukong. With the right build (RFC/Rageblade/Bloodthirster is the one I see most), Wukong is perfectly capable of 1v9ing pretty much anything except heavy burst comps. I've seen a few people trying Aatrox and Sejuani carry too which seem to be a bit more flexible and less reliant on getting the exact right items but you are then having to wait longer to get online.

Or you just keep playing Shade and letting Zed 1v9 basically every comp because increasing the aggro drop to every 4 attacks seems to have done nothing except make shade way less contested since everyone heard it got nerfed.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

njsykora posted:

You can run the old faithful carry Mordekaiser build on Hecarim (not tested enough to know if this is actually good or if Heca's healing is so stupidly good that it works anyway), or go Bonky Kong on Wukong. With the right build (RFC/Rageblade/Bloodthirster is the one I see most), Wukong is perfectly capable of 1v9ing pretty much anything except heavy burst comps. I've seen a few people trying Aatrox and Sejuani carry too which seem to be a bit more flexible and less reliant on getting the exact right items but you are then having to wait longer to get online.

Or you just keep playing Shade and letting Zed 1v9 basically every comp because increasing the aggro drop to every 4 attacks seems to have done nothing except make shade way less contested since everyone heard it got nerfed.

i've tried building around Aatrox but haven't had much success. He does seem pretty good though

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

I’ve tried Hec carry and three star chosen Hec did exactly diddly squat late game. You can’t rely on his healing because everyone has Sunfire, and a vanguard based team has no way to access a backline Ahri or sharpshooter

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

kingcobweb posted:

I’ve tried Hec carry and three star chosen Hec did exactly diddly squat late game. You can’t rely on his healing because everyone has Sunfire, and a vanguard based team has no way to access a backline Ahri or sharpshooter

I haven't played Vanguards in awhile but won't Aatrox pull backliners into Sejuani's aoe?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
If they have Quicksilver, that blocks Aatrox's pull. If they don't, they'll stick random disposable units (like their vayne 1 or an azir soldier) in the corner to bait the pull because it always targets the furthest units.

The actual Vanguard win condition is some other, better unit supported by mystics, like Vanguard/Mystic Ahri, or Dusk Jhin. Otherwise you're crossing your fingers for Sej 3 which is a task and a half to get, and that still sucks against Quicksilver and divine

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

How do you not play against at least 3 divine players every game? Are you in a low ELO or maybe a very high ELO? In plat there are at LEAST 3 divine players every game and their true damage melts my vanguards and mystics just as fast as they melt everything else.

Before this patch I thought the game was the best it's ever been. After this patch it might be the worst it's ever been.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I haven't played Vanguards in awhile but won't Aatrox pull backliners into Sejuani's aoe?

That's a good combo and something a lot of comps can do, but there's no reason to build around eg Hecarim instead of say, a backline Ahri

Vanguard/Mystic is good but you need something else to actually kill the bad guys and that's what Ahri does.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
yeah when i was talking about the vanguard win condition i was referring to last patch when comps that aren't warwick with a shiv existed

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

I finally won with the new 9 cultist. Only took a ridiculous high roll + a force of nature for everyone first carousel. Eve 3 is a decent carry, but 20 stars worth of cultists just lets Galio dumpster everything when he lands.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Caveat: comps that are not Warwick with a shiv exist but they really need to highroll to work, like 4 ninja 4/6 assassin with Akali 3 with perfect items or 6 sharpshooter with itemised jhin and/or jinx 3, and these comps still struggle against the buffed adept and qs on warwick

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Vayne went from "totally ignore as a chosen" to insta-slamming chosen sharpshooter vayne, chosen 3* vayne is really good now. Sharpshooters are probably the best non-WW build but you really need the chosen

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

kingcobweb posted:

Vayne went from "totally ignore as a chosen" to insta-slamming chosen sharpshooter vayne, chosen 3* vayne is really good now. Sharpshooters are probably the best non-WW build but you really need the chosen

What do you prefer for front line? I've seen vanguards and brawlers both work.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I did get 6 assassin with a spatula’d Warwick yesterday. That was hilarious.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miftan posted:

What do you prefer for front line? I've seen vanguards and brawlers both work.

Whatever you can two star. Most commonly it’ll be Sen/Aatrox but it could be Sett/WW, could even be Riven/Kennen or Shen/Irelia.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

why isn't jarvan a moonlight champion so he can be jarvan 4 4

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

B patch happened. Divine and Adept nerfed, 3* Akali nerfed, Shiv and Locket nerfed. RIP Frozen Heart.
https://twitter.com/Mortdog/status/1318621594223169536

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

njsykora posted:

B patch happened. Divine and Adept nerfed, 3* Akali nerfed, Shiv and Locket nerfed. RIP Frozen Heart.
https://twitter.com/Mortdog/status/1318621594223169536

Akali is still very good though, just to be clear.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The long awaited 10.21 patch post-mortem is here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVLhV5vrCqk

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Any advice about what's working?

Chosen Duelists still seem like an auto top 3, Chosen Sharpshooters also still good but I'll lose to Ahri comps everytime.

My favorite / most fun build is still Chosen Fortune w/ Sharpshooters.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

good day so far

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
What's the play if someone cucks you? I found a chosen Zed at 2-4, so went about building my Shade build, saving money, leveling up, and getting all the cultists/ninjas i can find to see what I can build into. At 3-2, some other person found chosen Evelyn Shade, and he also started taking all the Zeds, Evelyn's and ninjas. I sold all my ninjas and went Cultists, but he had 6 Zed / 6 Evelyn's, so it was much harder for me to find any other shades. I decided to save money until he died once I levelled to 7, but it ended up we both died on 5-1 at the same time (7th/8th). (I had 70+ gold in stash, he had 0).

Should I have sold my Zed and tried to switch or just try to last longer than him then roll for the 3-stars?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If you find yourself contested it becomes a case of are you still finding what you need and is there another decent comp open. If you have that much gold though you're probably better of levelling with it instead of rerolling, since something you can also do is rush the higher cost units in the comp if you're willing to commit to it.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Eeepies posted:

What's the play if someone cucks you? I found a chosen Zed at 2-4, so went about building my Shade build, saving money, leveling up, and getting all the cultists/ninjas i can find to see what I can build into. At 3-2, some other person found chosen Evelyn Shade, and he also started taking all the Zeds, Evelyn's and ninjas. I sold all my ninjas and went Cultists, but he had 6 Zed / 6 Evelyn's, so it was much harder for me to find any other shades. I decided to save money until he died once I levelled to 7, but it ended up we both died on 5-1 at the same time (7th/8th). (I had 70+ gold in stash, he had 0).

Should I have sold my Zed and tried to switch or just try to last longer than him then roll for the 3-stars?

If you have the resources, then you level, sell chosen, and think about what else you can build your board around. When you find a chosen that fits somehow, then you can head off in that direction. For instance, this game I started with a warlord Nidalee chosen, and ended with keeper Riven chosen

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Hmmm, I think my biggest problem was that I had already made Rapidfire/Bloodthirster/Rageblade on Zed, so I was stuck on how to pivot. But thanks for the advice, I think I chose the worse decision out of the ones I had.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Two players can three star Zed especially if you have the chosen, I would have stuck with it

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

When fortune works, it works so drat good!

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

There is nothing in this dumb game better than winning at a 7 or 8 loss streak at fortune 6 and obtaining multiple 5 star units and/or all the gold and/or so many neekos.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Hellioning posted:

There is nothing in this dumb game better than winning at a 7 or 8 loss streak at fortune 6 and obtaining multiple 5 star units and/or all the gold and/or so many neekos.

Hell yeah, I rode that Aatrox to golden with just Neekos and it felt. so. good.
Gave him Deathcap and spellcrit item so when he cast his first spell, half the team died :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So as I think many people expected, Dazzler is pretty drat good right now. Get the right items on Lissandra (blue buff/ludens/gauntlet) and she'll one-shot pretty much any sharpshooter comp as soon as the fight starts and neuter anything that survives.

E: BOOOOOOOOOOO they noticed Morg was turbobusted.
https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1322266019365347328

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 30, 2020

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Pretty....

...but irrelevant.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i want to cry, i finally got a zilean with my final gold selling my placeholder yone and yasuo and he drops in pathetically and then gets kicked off by lee

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I finally got to live the 6 fortune dream and man, that is a dragon I am going to be chasing for the rest of the set.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
I slam the fortune chosen anytime I see it. It's just too much of a drug.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

*insert price is right losing noise here*

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
So the last 3 games i had Warlord Garen Chosen, spat into Warlord spat, and Warlord Vi chosen, so I thought i might as well go Warlords to learn the comp. I went 7th, 6th, and 8th respectively.

How do you warlord? Is it just hoping for Kat and Azir? The rest are all just tanks or Nid so I was unsure of what to do if Kat doesn't appear.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Eeepies posted:

So the last 3 games i had Warlord Garen Chosen, spat into Warlord spat, and Warlord Vi chosen, so I thought i might as well go Warlords to learn the comp. I went 7th, 6th, and 8th respectively.

How do you warlord? Is it just hoping for Kat and Azir? The rest are all just tanks or Nid so I was unsure of what to do if Kat doesn't appear.

Putting the spat on Jinx and mana items on her, and then loading up Kat with defensive items works well for me. Run 3 fortune and/or an extra assassin for Kat and then just roll until you get 3 star Kat and hopefully Jinx; absolutely everyone is picking up Azirs so I try and make sure I'll be fine without it but slam 9 warlord if you pick him up early.

I've also tried stacking Xin Zhao instead of Jinx and running another duelist if I don't get a spat. They changed him and it seems to work fine enough, but you can't really run fortune to fuel the roll machine so I don't know.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Eeepies posted:

Kat is the most reliable way to win with Warlords, provided you can 3* her for the late game. 2* Kat does not hold up in the late game, even with excellent items. If you have a spat, you can dip into other good DPS champions that benefit from more spell damage, such as Jinx or Akali, and lean on them for DPS, but I usually end up dropping spats onto either more frontline or a mystic unless Kat is super contested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
Ok, so it's basically Kat, 3* preferably, and a secondary carry that you use spat to boost...

Well, that explains why I did so badly :P First game found one Kat, second game I placed the spat onto a Pyke for the assassin bonus (was planning to move it to Akali or Talon but died first), and third game found no Kats. Whoops.