Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

4.5 news is starting to come out, Dusk, Moonlight, Tormented, Shade, Hunter and Dazzler are the traits getting tossed in the bin. Zed, Kindred and Morgana will stay with new traits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Surprised adept is sticking around, thought that would be the first to hit the trash.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Apparently they learned nothing from Celestial because there's a spell vamp trait coming.
https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1339616348369006593

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
TFT is the greatest game ever.

On an entirely unrelated note,

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

Apparently they learned nothing from Celestial because there's a spell vamp trait coming.
https://twitter.com/TFT/status/1339616348369006593

Sorry to reply to a post from a week ago, but the issue with Celestial wasn't the units themselves (they mostly took very little advantage of the trait, Xin being the exception), but how you could slot 2 or 4 of them in and suddenly it was like giving Jhin a fourth item. Morgana has spell vamp in 4.0, they're just moving it to the trait. Not a big deal and Morello will shut down the whole synergy pretty effectively

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZIRzctSEtI

Morts video on 4.5 is up.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Set 4.5 kicks rear end.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Got back into Platinum. Gonna push hard for diamond this set. :science:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm reliably hitting plat now too, I doubt I can make Diamond but abusing Syphoner remains very funny. Also Fabled is totally going to get some overcompensation buffs, but before then it's still very easy to hit Nautilus 3 and he can 1-shot basically anything but a brawler.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

this just hurts to get 6th off of lol
look at those healths

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I've been getting into TFT lately and climbing prett steady. But the new patch dropped and it seems kind of awful? It seems like Elders and Brawlers and reroll strats just got thrown in the dumpster and now everyone is playing Dragonsouls or Kayle every game?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Wezlar posted:

I've been getting into TFT lately and climbing prett steady. But the new patch dropped and it seems kind of awful? It seems like Elders and Brawlers and reroll strats just got thrown in the dumpster and now everyone is playing Dragonsouls or Kayle every game?

Whatever metrics Rito uses were indicating that people thought that 4.5 was the bad patch.

I liked the last patch cause I made it to diamond 1. I've dropped to plat 2, meaning this is actually the bad patch.

TBH I should have just taken a break when I started dropping and tried to figure out how to play these other comps. I don't know why but I just cannot get my head around them and that is annoying me as much as anything else.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Reroll strats were definitely meant to be nerfed, as it was at a point I felt where if you didn't 3-star at least 1 1-cost unit you were hosed once the mid-game hit. I broke a big losing streak today by just doing what high ELO players always say to do and just focus on a few comps you know inside out, and thankfully Elderwood is still nice and strong and no-one is contesting Veigar who can still do Veigar things if you have the items (and the Manazane buff is very good for him, it's basically an endless stream of bombs). Also I think learning to change Chosen is really important right now since the bonus stats they get got nerfed so a 3-star 1-cost chosen is going to just be a trait bot past a certain point.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It seemed like before the patch hit the meta was already shifting away from the 1 cost 3 star reroll stuff and towards mages/elders, mages/deagonsoul, brawlers and comps like that.

Hopefully things shake out better soon it just definitely feels like the games are much less diverse and everyone is contesting the same units (and winning anyways)

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Dragonsoul is a weird trait design and it took me a while to figure out exactly why it bugs me so much. There's three and a half legitimate carries in it (shyv, olaf, asol, and swain-ish) and the strength of the trait isn't a synergy like vanguards/brawlers/warlords where they all get stronger together, it's literally just your carry and then 2/5 other idiot dragons filling in around them and living for a few seconds a round while they do their thing. So you're really just trying to 2* or 3* your carry and itemize them and team composition kind of takes a back seat altogether because you need to hit certain breakpoints but aside from that the others aren't adding much to your team. You end up with things like 6-8 Brawlers or 3 Slayers or 5-7 mages while you still have the dragonsoul buff because the investment is so low. And then olaf is popping off because he has 60% leech from his slayer trait but also every .8 seconds he's procing dragonsoul to take a third of their health. The required investment is just too low for the return. There was counterplay pre-11.4 because, hey, you don't have time to level up your olaf, your last three opponents rerolled diana, nasus, and nidalee and you're at 20 HP going into 4-1. But now it's kayle or it's olaf, and the dragonsoul trait really holds your hand through building olaf.

That said, i'm still down in Plat 1 and only have 25 or so games on 11.4 so this is mostly just speculation and anecdotes. However, it feels like dragonsoul just isn't a trait that fits into the game the same way others do, even offbeat stuff like cultist. It kind of took a back seat last patch because there was so much rerolling but now it feels much more exposed. I'm liking 11.4 so far, though

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Back in diamond after not really playing a lot since 3.0 ftw

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

11.4 feels better as I've played/watched more. I basically have only been playing for a month and I hit platinum today, but then immediately started losing. I feel like some of it is that my transitioning has been off and I defintely need to work on it, but at the same time I'm just having no luck hitting my units. Two out of the last 3 games I hit 8 with ~50 gold and look for a Kayle, with no Kayles on anyones boards and I can't find a single one. :psyduck:

At least I watched a challenger player on stream go 1st 8th 7th 8th 8th and it cheered me up because yeah, the game still has a ton of rng.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Wezlar posted:

Two out of the last 3 games I hit 8 with ~50 gold and look for a Kayle, with no Kayles on anyones boards and I can't find a single one. :psyduck:

I don't think I understand this game. I rarely manage to hit level 8, and never with that much gold. How on earth do you manage that? :psyduck:

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Do you reroll your shop a lot? If you’re not trying to 3* a level 1, you usually don’t want to roll at all before 4-1 (occasionally late 3s if you’re struggling to stabilize). And try to keep enough gold on hand to hit your interest breakpoints(10, 20, 30, 40, 50), don’t keep stuff you don’t need on the bench. If you do a decent job of collecting interest and winning some rounds you should be at level 8 & 50g around 5-1 as long as you didn’t have to panic roll before then to take 6th instead of 8th or something (those games happen!).

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Spokes posted:

Do you reroll your shop a lot? If you’re not trying to 3* a level 1, you usually don’t want to roll at all before 4-1 (occasionally late 3s if you’re struggling to stabilize). And try to keep enough gold on hand to hit your interest breakpoints(10, 20, 30, 40, 50), don’t keep stuff you don’t need on the bench. If you do a decent job of collecting interest and winning some rounds you should be at level 8 & 50g around 5-1 as long as you didn’t have to panic roll before then to take 6th instead of 8th or something (those games happen!).

I probably lean towards being too greedy but in addition to these things I think it's important to remember to level to maintain winstreaks, but make sure when you're levelling you have impactful units to add to your board. If you're going from 5-6 but adding no synergies and no powerful units it's probably better to greed for a turn or two.
Levelling and then proceeding to lose is The Worst.

Also, a lot of the time early game I'm willing to give up on a pair if I'm already strong and it gives me interest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I run the general rule Mort said at one point that if you're losing you want to reroll for a stronger board, and if you're winning you want to level to get higher cost units first.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

A couple games post patch Kennen Keepers definitely still feels like a legit comp, and it seems a little contested now than it was before? Kind of hard to win with against a lot of boards but pretty consistent for top 4.
I am really starting to value legit 3 cost carries, it feels so much harder to just randomly lose a game where you're ahead on econ just because you completely whiff rolling. Also I really love playing comps that get to take advantage of all of Ornns tags in addition to his items if you find him early.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I super high rolled 9 Dragonsoul earlier and it was one of the easiest 1st’s of my life. Turns out Dragonsoul Samira is hilarious.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

njsykora posted:

I super high rolled 9 Dragonsoul earlier and it was one of the easiest 1st’s of my life. Turns out Dragonsoul Samira is hilarious.

Ive seen a lot of challenger level streamers say 9 dsoul is a trap because you have to play so many bad units but every time I've played it or seen it in action it feels like free win. Olaf and Swain go absolutely nuts and that's without even considering the unit your spat goes on

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Wezlar posted:

Ive seen a lot of challenger level streamers say 9 dsoul is a trap because you have to play so many bad units but every time I've played it or seen it in action it feels like free win. Olaf and Swain go absolutely nuts and that's without even considering the unit your spat goes on

Why not drop 2 units so you can play Morgana and a mage? That seems like better synergies.

Unless ultra high rolling is 3 dragon spatulas.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Cynic Jester posted:

TFT is the greatest game ever.

On an entirely unrelated note,

What a quaint little team

I just did this

Yone chosen for 4 Adept, Yone with Gunblade, Bluebuff and QSS.
Two swains on the bench, nearly hit my first ever 2x 3* 5-cost

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Blue buff Yone is back to deleting entire teams in seconds and no-one’s contesting him right now it rules.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

It's kind of funny how like a month ago they nerfed Brawlers, then like like 2 patches later they've nerfed everything else and now the meta feels like 4 brawlers players in every game again.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 6, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Brawlers are just a really easy comp to play and just having 4 slabs of beef early is always going to be good, so it's naturally going to end up in a lot of games.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't have anywhere else to brag so here is a picture. Today has been a good day for TFT

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Good stuff!

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I tried tft when it released and didn't like it much, but my friends have gotten me into it and now I'm playing it every day. I just forgot to start playing it on my main so now all the tft stuff is on my second account lol. Add me at GreyPwrVan. So far I'm hanging around in gold 1 usually but a couple of ranked games on my phone have lowered that, since I can't reroll fast enough

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

I'll be playing in a "single elimination" tournament this weekend that's just top 4 per game advance until the top 8, anybody have comps they really like for just... not bottom-4-ing?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Spokes posted:

I'll be playing in a "single elimination" tournament this weekend that's just top 4 per game advance until the top 8, anybody have comps they really like for just... not bottom-4-ing?

Morgana/Talon 4 enlightened

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Spokes posted:

Kennen keepers. Requires practice, though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

Morgana/Talon 4 enlightened

Cavelcade posted:

Kennen keepers. Requires practice, though.

I'll watch a couple guides on each and get some practice in. any unintuitive tips?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

After playing it on-and-off since launch, I think TFT has finally 'clicked' for me. :toot:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Vandar posted:

After playing it on-and-off since launch, I think TFT has finally 'clicked' for me. :toot:

Just in time for the new completely different set next month.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Still got a month and a half. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Honestly, Enlightened is super flexible. The big tips I can think of really just come with Getting Good. Chosen Yasuo can hold Talon items and carry your early game, scout the lobby because you can go up to 4 mystics without going too far out of your way. Sometimes it might be worth slow rolling if you have a ton of early Nasus/Jannas or whatever, but you generally just want to play pretty standard because your main units are 4 costs