Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tits and cooters, Mr Bond.

How can I improve at the game?

If you really want to get better, you should be spending almost as much time watching good players on stream/youtube as you spend playing the game. My favorite person is Hafu, whose youtube videos seem clickbait-y, but she gives really good explanations of her thought process as she's playing; she shows off how there's a thousand really minor things you can do to get an edge.

Other good twitch streamers: yuuubin (friend of a goon), scarra, saintvicious, gunmay, becky, keane, emilyywang.

I'm also going to shamelessly plug my youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLLjxssSvxE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

is there anyone that luden's is good on? or any reason to build it over the several other better items that rod builds into?

It's a solid early game spike on Lucian if you want to win streak; in cybernetics or blasters, those components aren't super highly valued until you get to MF. But yeah, not a super high priority item, and you'd better be really sure you're not going to need a Seraph's later.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Who is Seraph's good on in cyber/blaster comps? Or any comps, really. I've never built star guardians / sorcerers and have never seen a use for it on anything else.

Irelia (lets you position her anywhere and she casts immediately)
MF

Outside of that comp: Kassadin, Sol, anything with low mana costs

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

a fatguy baldspot posted:

chalice seems really bad, ngl. it gives what, ten mana? not much

It gives it to the wearer too so itís insane in Star guardians

And protectors are total poo poo this patch, do Not build them

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boxman posted:

Does anyone have a rule of thumb (or hard factors) to consider when selling off and re-speccing into a different comp? It's one thing to be hedging between a couple of comps and picking one, but I just had success selling off completely and going for something completely open, and I wonder if that isn't something I should be letting myself do more often.

Also, just to confirm my own thinking - the pool can reasonably support two people in a given archetype, right? Obviously being the only person rolling for certain champs is best, but should I be terrified if there's one other person gobbling up Star Guardians or whatever?

For the reroll comps, there should be one per archetype. Only one person can three-star a three cost unit. Don't contest a build like Star Guardians unless you're really sure you can outlast them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I want to save this thread from obscurity, so here are the comps that are Good in 3.5:

• 6 cybernetic
  • jinx
  • 6 sorc riven

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

.Z. posted:

How is Urgot in the latest patch? I haven't been playing much because of Urgot RNG.

As mortdog has talked about, Urgot isn't actually a great unit. It feels lovely to have your carry one-shot, but a five-cost with items should be able to do something like that. If you compare his power to GP, Sol, Ekko, etc, one-shotting a single unit isn't actually all that great.

The situation you're most likely to see Urgot in (and the only way that I play Urgot) is off the bench with Thresh. He's still the best Thresh target, since two-star Thresh gives Urgot 50 mana, which makes him ult instantly as soon as he hits the battlefield.

There's only two other situations where Urgot sees play: protector comps, which are super reliant on getting protector spat for Sol (and that's not even the best use of Sol), and 6 battlecast comps, which fall off a cliff lategame and are basically just playing for top 4.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

GET INTO DA CHOPPA posted:

What's your preferred Cassiopeia items?
I sometimes run her as a Star Guardian, but she's also unbelievably tanky as a protector.

Blue buff turns her from terrible into a carry

Morello doubles her damage, and synergizes incredibly with battlecast trait

Third item is prot spat if you can get it. If you can't, RFC (so that you don't have to put her near the front) or QSS are good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

I like Luden's too on her for some additional AOE, though you obviously aren't getting all of that mana.

Morello/Blue buff are pretty much mandatory- as a third item, sure, Luden's is good.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Made another TFT video, this one about early game positioning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKOUfGRbng

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

10.4 patch notes with some cool stuff. Mostly this bit.

So no more running from lethal damage. Also Protector and Celestial buffs with J4 getting more of everything, Rakan getting more health and Neeko's mana being reduced. Blasters also looking like they're going to be better with Ezreal dropping to 30 mana so he could be fully spamming the AOE bombs with a blue buff. Seems like good changes to Urgot too (lower range, spell now hits the first champ so he's more of a frontline muncher like I think he was meant to be.

Also Giant Slayer doesn't do true damage any more so RIP that item.

I advise everyone to watch Mort's video instead of just reading the patch notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12po6RDPV4

Specifically, Giant Slayer is NOT changing*, because it never really did true damage; it was a damage amp of 20% post-mitigation (80% on certain targets), and displayed the amplified damage as true damage. They're changing how it displays. That's all.

*it's worse on Battlecasts because it's not an extra instance of damage, though.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Early returns from watching someone stream on the Korean server: Sorcs Good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Yeah the best items seem to be blue buff and dragon's claw, I'm feeling a syndra hotfix coming

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Speak of the devil

https://mobile.twitter.com/RiotGree...961981273391104

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I was really good at Littler Legends because it let you play good midgame builds that werenít insane lategame so I liked it for selfish reasons

Also running fast owned

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

Jhin seems like the character that's been in the most good builds for the entire season, no matter how much other things have changed. I don't know if there's a specific reason for that beyond him being just generically really good, though.

Wukong started out absolutely useless but since then heís been a support unit in seemingly every build- Blitz also.

Jhinís design is such that heís always going to be The Carry if heís in a build; most units do something other than stand still and DPS, but Jhin can either stand at the backline and one-shot things or heís a complete waste of an expensive unit.

Thereís definitely a middle ground possible where heís neither oppressive nor useless but hoo boy they overshot the buffs

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

The new patch is really good, lot of different builds are viable. Everyone is still doing builds from the last patch (jhin, star guardians, protectors), but I've been successfully doing either Jinx or Cybernetics every game. Lucian is a real strong midgame carry.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miftan posted:

I loved playing Cybers a patch or two ago. Do you still go Giant Slayer/RedBuff on Lucian and transfer them to Vayne now?

Giant Slayer is a different item than it used to be, it's a generic damage amp item, not an onhit item now.

Red buff Lucian is still the best early/mid strategy. Build Irelia items: GA, BT, IE, Deathblade, that sort of thing. Thieves Gloves is good too. Vayne as a carry is okay, Irelia is better.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Boxman posted:

Moonlight - a 3 piece trait with only 1 or 2 cost units, when activated, upgrades the lowest star unit. Allows for 4 starred units (presumably this only happens once, right?)
It's a per-battle temporary star increase, it doesn't permanently upgrade the units.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Cultist is very similar to Elementalist in set one. Iíd imagine that Cultist 3 will be a common part of compositions to get another front liner

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Played a handful of PBE games so far, thoughts:
  • three stars are definitely more common because of Chosen units- getting your Chosen 3* is key unless you're going for a 5-cost chosen
  • speaking of which, 5-cost units are tuned really strong right now. "Get a lot of 5-costs" seems to be a go-to strategy/build for good players
  • Sett is way better than he reads, because even if he gets one-shot he'll still walk it off instead of dying. I thought that his origin would be a downside, but it really isn't
  • in general, good unit > good synergies, it seems

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

uguu posted:

Sett ulting my 9 cultist Galio and oneshotting my whole team is pretty funny, but maybe not very balanced.

Sett, by his design, is a high-variance unit. If you compare him to another standout frontliner, Shen, itís way harder to get him 2-starred, and his only trait is an almost entirely selfish one (it gives Warwick a little HP and thatís it). Shen is always going to activate Mystic and Adept, which are absolutely amazing team-wife buffs, but more subtle than Sett dunking someone. When Sett is in the perfect situation, dunking some Nunu with 99999 HP, he seems unbeatable, but heís just as likely to CC an irrelevant target, run away till the rest of your team dies, and die halfway through casting his dunk again.

Anyway I loving love this set. Best set theyíve made yet

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

My 1sts so far with the new set:
  • 4 sharpshooter, 3-star Jinx carry with Shojin/Blue
  • 6 assassin, chosen Diana with Thieves Gloves. Couldn't get one infinity edge!!
  • 9 cultist + Kennen
  • 6 enlightened, somehow got 3-star of both Talon and Shen. Janna is still completely nuts, especially as a chosen; I think she's the best Chosen I've seen.

One thing I've changed from PBE is that I wasn't rerolling at all until level eight, which is way too passive; have to roll a little bit to get 2-stars of units before going to eight so I don't lose all my HP. Getting 3-star units is really really crucial this set for nearly every comp.

I got Masters last season, hoping to get even higher this season. Planning on streaming every day (hopefully posting that I am will help hold me to it). Here's my self-promotion thank you

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Ahri 3 kinda seems hosed beyond belief, 2 10k+ dmg aoe nukes

i was laughing like a maniac, funniest thing i've ever seen in this game

I think it's funny that Mort had a goal for this set of not having champs that required specific items for certain champs, and then we get Akali who requires specifically IE/Blue Buff to go from "a unit I guess" to "rips apart your entire backline and there's nothing you can do about it"

I'm still trying to find a shell that I like for Akali though?? 6 assassin 4 ninja isn't consistent enough because you have to go straight to 8 and can't play any of your units till then, it loses the midgame way too hard and doesn't have the payoff needed when you finally have the whole squad assembled

I'm thinking 6 assassin 3 cultist might work better, or maybe moonlight

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Frustrated posted:

A level 1 lee sin should not be able to kick a level 3 champ off the board. It's loving dumb rng. Yes I'm mad because I just finished 4th instead of 1/2 because he kicked off my level 3 kat who had a hood and somehow he waited the perfect amount of time for it to wear off.

it's insanely funny actually, him and Sett are the coolest 5-costs

Also itís not RNG he just kicks the guy heís autoing

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

Iíve seen GA on Ahri a few times but if she canít blow someone the gently caress up she just gets annihilated by any team with AOE damage.

GA on ahri is good because she'll finish her incredibly long cast animation if she dies during it, which can win the round. Comes up surprisingly often!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Eeepies posted:

I have tried lots of other items on her since I get Chosen Annie all the time, but nothing works as well as GA to let her get one spell off. Quicksilver, Trap Claw and Blue Buff all led to problems down the line that made me not be 1st. And for damage, the best item apart from jeweled... was another jeweled.

Isnít jeweled + IE mathematically better than two jeweled?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

That board is so good it should give you a New Game+ option where you play another game with that board against nothing but three and four star units

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Sunfire Cape is so strong that I had a melee unit trapped behind other ones for the entire fight and it still did more damage by itself than any one unit

https://clips.twitch.tv/HumbleLitigiousPeanutHotPokket

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Shocked that theyíre neither nerfing Zed nor Spirit, and even buffing Yuumi. 4 Spirit/Shade is great right now

Diana buff and mage/Annie are the other scary ones

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ah

https://mobile.twitter.com/TFT/stat...592231611781120

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Iíve gotten Shen 3 before and itís good

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

deathbagel posted:

People are definitely sleeping on early Kindred. I feel like most people don't even realize how good she is even when they run her and only run her because she's a spirit.

Also, Wed they are nerfing/buffing stuff and it looks like Xin Zhao is going to be absolutely brokenly good.

Kindred is the best unit to transition to Ashe, using them as an item holder for that. Can also hold items for... pretty much anyone, honestly.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ungulateman posted:

Quick question, thread: What's the best character to build Hurricane / Luden's / Redemption on, and why isn't it Jax?

i had Reasons ok

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Oh I didnít even realize there was a b patch today

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mortdog/...908733424984064

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

ungulateman posted:

now just cross your fingers and hope people in your lobbies don't turn their brains on and go warwick every game because waht the gently caress

Yeah itís really dumb and I think Iím taking this patch off unless they hotfix

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

njsykora posted:

You can run the old faithful carry Mordekaiser build on Hecarim (not tested enough to know if this is actually good or if Heca's healing is so stupidly good that it works anyway), or go Bonky Kong on Wukong. With the right build (RFC/Rageblade/Bloodthirster is the one I see most), Wukong is perfectly capable of 1v9ing pretty much anything except heavy burst comps. I've seen a few people trying Aatrox and Sejuani carry too which seem to be a bit more flexible and less reliant on getting the exact right items but you are then having to wait longer to get online.

Or you just keep playing Shade and letting Zed 1v9 basically every comp because increasing the aggro drop to every 4 attacks seems to have done nothing except make shade way less contested since everyone heard it got nerfed.

Iíve tried Hec carry and three star chosen Hec did exactly diddly squat late game. You canít rely on his healing because everyone has Sunfire, and a vanguard based team has no way to access a backline Ahri or sharpshooter

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I haven't played Vanguards in awhile but won't Aatrox pull backliners into Sejuani's aoe?

That's a good combo and something a lot of comps can do, but there's no reason to build around eg Hecarim instead of say, a backline Ahri

Vanguard/Mystic is good but you need something else to actually kill the bad guys and that's what Ahri does.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Vayne went from "totally ignore as a chosen" to insta-slamming chosen sharpshooter vayne, chosen 3* vayne is really good now. Sharpshooters are probably the best non-WW build but you really need the chosen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Miftan posted:

What do you prefer for front line? I've seen vanguards and brawlers both work.

Whatever you can two star. Most commonly itíll be Sen/Aatrox but it could be Sett/WW, could even be Riven/Kennen or Shen/Irelia.