Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

You're asking me to believe in sentient meat.
Another lifetime ago, I was an assistant manager with an apartment management company. Aside from evicting people, the worst part of my job was walking move-outs to assess damages. Apartments at this particular community just had this rank, awful smell to them that made me throw up in my mouth frequently, especially in the hotter months. This apartment is the worst thing saw in my scant four years in the business, and I thought I'd seen some pretty hosed up, intentionally-well-destroyed apartments. It was also the worst state of affairs my maintenance supervisor, community manager, and all of the maintenance techs had ever seen. This was the day I learned that roach carcasses had a smell.

Entry/living room:

Kitchen:

3/4 bath:

Stairs/landing/upstairs hallway area:

Bedrooms:

Full bath:

:stonk:

And a palate cleanser: Goku lived with his furry girlfriend in the building across from the office!!

Enjoy your day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

twigplant posted:

This was the day I learned that roach carcasses had a smell

And roach carcasses smell like...?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I’m gonna loving puke. I’ve let my place get messy, especially when I was younger. But holy poo poo.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Say what you will this place looks like they threw one hell of a party!

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Did you ever meet the tenants?

These threads are always morbidly fascinating.

Ghost Toast
Nov 4, 2005

This is absolutely disgusting. How do you even use a toilet at that level of filth, let alone keep using it over and over?

:psyduck:

Doctor Smiles
Jul 26, 2007

I bonk all night,
and I bonk all day.
Grimey Drawer
jfc it's a sea of trash :stonk:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:stonk: And I thought my last apartment bedroom was bad.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Internetjack posted:

Did you ever meet the tenants?

A year or so prior, yes. The leaseholder in that apartment was actually the previous maintenance supervisor for that community. He'd broken both of his ankles when he fell from a ladder and was on disability for a few years, then suddenly stopped paying his rent and we couldn't get in touch with him, so had to file for eviction, which is how we came to find this place.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

NecroBob posted:

And roach carcasses smell like...?

Even if I could explain it, I wouldn't.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

That's incredibly sad, op.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ghost Toast posted:

This is absolutely disgusting. How do you even use a toilet at that level of filth, let alone keep using it over and over?

:psyduck:

...... you, uhh...... you don’t.

... you use...... other things. :gonk:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

How does this get cleaned up? Are there specialized companies for this like they have for suicide and bloated corpse cleanup? Or did they just hand the poor maintenance guy a shovel and tell them to get it cleaned up w/o overtime?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
That 3/4 bath toilet looks like a portal to hell

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh my god

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Its so sad
Just one guy right?
No kids

A small blessing, but that is so so extreme. Is the brown layer on the floor in livingroom like mold or roach poo poo or what?
The 4th pic

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Looks like the only thing they took when they moved out was the gaming PC.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Sir Not Appearing posted:

How does this get cleaned up? Are there specialized companies for this like they have for suicide and bloated corpse cleanup? Or did they just hand the poor maintenance guy a shovel and tell them to get it cleaned up w/o overtime?

We ended up contracting it out to a general third-party maintenance company we'd used for various projects that were outside our staff's scope. It was way too much for our staff to take on - they're miracle workers but they have tons of poo poo to do outside of something like this. They basically had to get a skip and take the place down to the studs. I quit a few weeks into the renovation and never saw the finished product, unfortunately.

There are specialized cleaning companies that do crime scene cleanup, though I don't think they'd take on a project quite this big. They usually just need to clean one space or one room, not a full two-story 1300 sq ft apartment.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Jesus H Christ.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
what's his username?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Most of the trash appears to be bottles. Why? :raise:

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Unsure? My pet theory is that the leaseholder's mentally-ill son was living in the apartment and raiding the recycling bins. The place weirdly didn't smell of sour beer - just of like uncleaned-apartment-smell and roaches - which leads me to think the bottles and cans had been rinsed.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
how much was rent?

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

More fun apartment stories:

1. The time a building caught on fire. An eight-unit building caught on fire when some residents decided to burn wrapping paper in their fireplace then leave the apartment without putting it out or closing the grate, fuckin' idiots. The building was a total loss, but nobody died, thanks to the maintenance staff being bros and barging into this one old woman's apartment and bodily removing her from her second-story apartment when she wouldn't listen to them begging her to go outside because the building was on fire. Two of the eight residents had renter's insurance and were put up in hotels until they found a new place, and had checks in their hand within a week. Everyone else was out on their asses. Please, goons, get renter's insurance - it's like $25 for the year or some poo poo through your car insurance and it's totally worth it.

2. The time a con man put up his son at our apartments. Dude and his dad come in with some story about needing to find an apartment immediately, as they'd been set to move into a place across the street, but the apartment wasn't the one that they were promised, and they had to move in today, you see, because the son was set to start at the local university on Monday!!! We show them around and find a vacant they like and we're all set to do the lease signing and give this kid keys. "All I have is a check - will that work for you guys?" Usually for application fees and deposits we required guaranteed funds (brain fuzzy, can't remember what the monetary instrument is called - cashier's checks/money orders only). Since this guy was ready to give us the deposit, app fees, a carport rental, and first month's rent all at once and we were hurting for leases that month, we said yes. The check, of course, bounced, and within two months, this kid had the cops called on him three or four times, and one morning when doing rounds, the maintenance staff reported that there was blood all over the front steps of his apartment and three of the windows were broken. Turns out the kid got arrested during a party he was throwing the night before and tried to go ham on the cops (ha ha, ham, cops). His next rent check from his dad bounced, and a few days later, the US Marshals came nosing around because the dad had bought vehicles in a neighboring state on bad checks. We evicted the son, neither ever showed up to court or came to claim their belongings.

3. The time a resident murder-suicided elsewhere in the city: This one is really sad. Two guys. Nick and Ed move in to separate apartments, a few months apart from one another. They both worked at a nearby strip club, mostly doing door or helping out in the kitchen, and were friends. One morning, right when we opened, one of my maintenance techs comes barreling into the office going, "We've got a problem." Nick had called 911 earlier that morning when his shower stem broke and the tap wouldn't turn off. The fire department showed up and just shut off the building's water. My tech asked me to film the apartment as we went in to check the damages. Nick was out of his loving mind - he and I had a good working relationship so I'd asked him to chill out a little while we figured out what we needed to do, but he was super drunk and probably high on not-weed. The tile around the shower faucet had been punched in, resulting in a foot-wide hole around it, and he'd smashed the mirror, which was lying in pieces all over the floor. There was blood everywhere, and Nick had his hand wrapped in a towel. He also had a big-rear end 5-foot gun safe in his apartment. Once I noticed the gun safe, I gently suggested that the tech and I head back to the office to start sourcing replacement parts and called the cops for a civil standby while we at least fixed the tap. That whole thing resulted in Nick screaming at the officers and at us for about 20 minutes while maintenance got the shower valve fixed. Maybe two weeks later, we find out from the family that Nick was dead and they needed to come clear out his things. Turns out Nick's spiral had finally bottomed out with the excellent decision to rob a heroin dealer with some other guys who worked at the club. Two were shot immediately by the dealer, and Nick and Ed ran off. Nick ended up shooting himself in his car a few blocks away, and Ed weirdly returned to the scene and pretended he was a bystander, then disappeared. I don't know if Ed ever turned back up.

Would you like more pictures of other gross apartments? I have a small cache.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

Of course you do.

Spinz posted:

A small blessing, but that is so so extreme. Is the brown layer on the floor in livingroom like mold or roach poo poo or what?

That's the carpet. :j:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Pussy does taste good.

This is art.

twigplant
Jun 9, 2009

I thought it was a fine detail of the larger shitheap too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Push El Burrito posted:

Say what you will this place looks like they threw one hell of a party!

Yeah a party for one that lasted six months.

By the state of the place I really expected a bunch of crack or heroin or meth paraphernalia everywhere, but it looks like your garden variety alcoholic hoarder

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I also used to work in the apartment industry.

Getting flashbacks itt.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

twigplant posted:

Of course you do.

Did he spraypaint all the dicks to get back at the apartment company? Or was that decor.

Gnarly Sheen
Jun 25, 2015

I'm ITT

Indie band debut album art detected

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
These threads always sort of start funny but then I remember the answer is always “unmedicated severe mental health issues” and I am made sad by the garbage healthcare system in this country that lets sick people rot in their own filth.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 15, 2020

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bust Rodd posted:

These threads always sort of start funny but then I remember the answer is always “unmedicated severe mental health issues” and I am made safe by the garbage healthcare system in this country that lets suck people rot in their own filth.

Not quite, I'm an apartment manager as well and I've already had dealings with people like this (though I wouldn't say this extreme) and for them it was just because they were lazy pieces of poo poo. However, I do have a story of one of the buildings that was before my time five years ago that can probably be attributed to that:

So a couple weeks ago, in one of the buildings I manage, one of the workers invites me over to show me the renovation work they've been doing on 2 old units that were unattended for a long while. One of them is close to finished and looks good, a nice two bedroom that just needs some tile work and finishing touches done before it can get rented out. The other one was pretty hosed up, every wall in the unit was painted a different bright rear end pastel color, the front door was just laying in the living room and it still had super old 80s wood paneling in the kitchen. The bedroom was completely blue save for a single N'Sync poster on the wall.

I walked through the unit just checking it out before the worker that had me come over spilled the beans: this was the location of some grim poo poo that happened 5 years ago. The place had been vacant ever since, obviously.

So what had happened was a middle-aged Eastern European couple lived there with their teen daughter, they were apparently really nice and a week before everything went down the boys had fixed up some tiles in their kitchen for them and they fixed them coffee and chatted it up, nothing seemed wrong.

One morning, when the wife was sleeping in the bedroom the husband comes in wielding an axe and swings for her head but hits her in the shoulder. She starts screaming and runs into the bedroom closet to barricade herself and stay safe. The husband leaves to the living room and after a while, the wife thought she was safe and came out to try and make an escape but the husband met her in the hallway, pushed her into the bathroom to finish her up and start chopping her up. All this time she's screaming so the woman across the hall (in the 2 bedroom) comes over knocking on the front door to see if everything was okay.

The husband answers the door by cracking it a bit, sticking a gun through the crack and shooting her in the face. She survives and crawls back to her apartment and locks the door to stay safe. At this point the cops are on the way and they have to save her from her apartment's kitchen window via a ladder. She survived, but was disfigured, can't speak and had to go through tons and tons of therapy just to walk again. I believe he was left with one arm paralyzed. The husband then proceeds to shoot at the cops from his balcony before going back into the apartment. The cops then proceeded to approach the door when they heard a gunshot. The husband sat on his couch in the living room and put the gun to his head. Luckily the daughter was at school, but I can't imagine how this hosed her up mentally, she was only 14 I think.

After telling me everything, giving me a play by play of what happened in the place it did, it made sense why there were chunks of carpet missing since that's where all of the blood pooled in the living room and bedroom closet, and why the door was blown off at the hinges when the police entered.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo op, thanks for sharing but what a nightmare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was like "eh I've seen worse" but then I got to the toilets :stare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Man, I can smell the stench of that first set of pictures right through TCP/IP

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gnarly Sheen posted:

Indie band debut album art detected

The Bible being there isn't all that weird when you realize that using Bible pages to roll joints is like, Redneck 101

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Oooo squalor thread. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they made up the poo poo lasagna story but i feel like reading it again now