Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she did one intergender match and that was after a lot of to-do about how she didnt like them or want to do them so i don't know that i would count on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super No Vacancy posted:

she did one intergender match and that was after a lot of to-do about how she didnt like them or want to do them so i don't know that i would count on that

Intergender matches suck, anyway. Nothing more entertaining than watching man on woman violence

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Randaconda posted:

Intergender matches suck, anyway. Nothing more entertaining than watching man on woman violence

Pfft

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I agree I like it when women beat up men better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Randaconda posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZUoCpx8jag

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:shrugs: I don't like seeing dudes beating up women, even in pro wrasslin'.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I like seein dudes get beat up by women, its my kink

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

intergender rules, imo

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Deonna is a really good wrestler, but not a great "character," so I can see why she didn't work out in WWE. I think Impact is ultimately the right landing spot for her, and I'm excited to see what she does.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheHock posted:

Deonna is a really good wrestler, but not a great "character," so I can see why she didn't work out in WWE. I think Impact is ultimately the right landing spot for her, and I'm excited to see what she does.

honestly the Virtuosa thing she's doing is the most character I've seen out of her. Shes' doing it in TNA now I guess. I really need to take time and watch that poo poo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nobody works out in wwe its insane to put any part of it on talent

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yikes @ AEW whiffing on a promising free agent considering the state of their women's roster

Open up your wallet coward Toney

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

xbilkis posted:

Yikes @ AEW whiffing on a promising free agent considering the state of their women's roster

Open up your wallet coward Toney

They can pluck anyone they want from Impact pretty much whenever. Santana, Ortiz, Lucha Bros, and Cage were all there right before joining up with AEW.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The path to AEW seems to involve TNA for some reason.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i wouldn't automatically assume The Tony Crew has failed to offer the most money to people like jordynne and deonna. impact might be irrelevant but it still offers good money and for women, impact has a better roster to work with and is less of a question mark about the possibility for legitimate artistic gratification

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

but have they considered the most important data point of all: what i, a person on the internet, want

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I am amending my previous post to say "Open your wallet and create an environment in which women's wrestlers can feel confident they will find creative gratification working for your company, Coward Toney"

Also after further research it looks like Deonna might be on a per-appearance deal with Impact? But also, Kenny tweeted about how the AEW woman's roster didn't need any improving because there was a good title match. But I guess you can't read too much into a guy defending the wrestlers who have already signed with his company.

In conclusion, I would like it if good women's wrestlers performed for the wrestling company I watched, and also they liked doing it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

xbilkis posted:

But also, Kenny tweeted about how the AEW woman's roster didn't need any improving because there was a good title match.

do you have a link to whatever this is

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

xbilkis posted:

I am amending my previous post to say "Open your wallet and create an environment in which women's wrestlers can feel confident they will find creative gratification working for your company, Coward Toney"

Also after further research it looks like Deonna might be on a per-appearance deal with Impact? But also, Kenny tweeted about how the AEW woman's roster didn't need any improving because there was a good title match. But I guess you can't read too much into a guy defending the wrestlers who have already signed with his company.

In conclusion, I would like it if good women's wrestlers performed for the wrestling company I watched, and also they liked doing it

Is Kenny wrong though? AEW has three hours a week and a lot of women's talent and they all seem pretty happy, creatively fulfilled, and free to choose the direction of their characters. I don't know why AEW needs to emulate the WWE model of signing everyone mentioned in their DMs and then finding they don't have enough TV time to showcase them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

AEW caught lightning in a bottle 3 times with Riho, Nyla(surprising everyone because she was pretty eh at first) and now Hikaru Shida. They have folks with potential in the pipeline. Kris Statlander has something. Anna Jay definitely has something.

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

The only real issue I have with AEW's women's division right now is the lack of storylines. They get to be their characters and have cool matches, but I sorta wish they had more going on in terms of stories than "number one contender vs. champ"

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

xbilkis posted:

But also, Kenny tweeted about how the AEW woman's roster didn't need any improving because there was a good title match.

He was just standing up for their work from some weirdo dude who admittedly watches only women's wrestling and freaked out on him because they didn't sign Deonna. He didn't say there was no room to improve.

Honestly he probably shouldn't have replied at all to him since now that guy is replying being argumentative with women who are replying to Kenny showing support.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

flatluigi posted:

do you have a link to whatever this is

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/1265482955935354890

flashy_mcflash posted:

Is Kenny wrong though? AEW has three hours a week and a lot of women's talent and they all seem pretty happy, creatively fulfilled, and free to choose the direction of their characters. I don't know why AEW needs to emulate the WWE model of signing everyone mentioned in their DMs and then finding they don't have enough TV time to showcase them.

They have like four active rostered women's wrestlers right now. If Swole is able to compete and Britt gets cleared in less than two months then that helps, but I would like to see more than one women's match a week on TV sometimes and storylines built outside of the title picture. They've got One Billion tag teams but they're probably still gonna sign The Revival; more depth in the women's division should absolutely be a priority.

I'm sure it's tough to make long-term plans at this particular moment, and there is the element of wanting to have time for people like Anna Jay and Sadie Gibbs who you're hoping to grow in-house. But yeah, I do think Kenny is wrong to suggest the division couldn't use help

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Deonna Perazzo (who before Impact her most notable character trait was "had a Ferreri logo on her gear") is not the hill to die on

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah, I didn't really intend for my original post to be anything more than "it would be nice if AEW added talent to a women's roster that is stretched incredibly thin right now"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

die on every hill

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That's not Kenny saying they don't need any improvement that's Kenny saying that just because they didn't sign that talent does not mean they don't have a good division and I think he's right.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

swaller every pill

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

last year kenny said that by the end of 2020 he wants maki itoh to be a fixture in aew so i think the original plan was to bring in more women from tjpw, but alas,

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

If the only thing he did was import people from TJPW and Gatoh Move he'd be doing fantastic.

Imagine Hyper Misao on AEW television. She's even reasonably fluent in English!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I have no issues with the quality of the AEW women's matches or the size of their roster. The problem for me is that none of the feuds have been memorable, even if the matches have been memorable.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

coconono posted:

Nyla(surprising everyone because she was pretty eh at first)

Hey now some of us were onboard with Nyla from the very start just like you knew Hangman was awesome from the start when nobody else saw it

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Hey now some of us were onboard with Nyla from the very start just like you knew Hangman was awesome from the start when nobody else saw it
i never doubted either of them and i also defended britt baker constantly, someone pay my student loans

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I see what you did there

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I think we can all agree that in all three cases even though we knew they were great they were not living up to their potential at the start because they needed to find their groove in AEW but now they are all three killin' it every week

Hiram
Sep 21, 2010

Take care fella...spike your hair! :fella:

coconono posted:

I agree I like it when women beat up men better

fuckin SAME.

BIG SAME

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Astro7x posted:

I have no issues with the quality of the AEW women's matches or the size of their roster. The problem for me is that none of the feuds have been memorable, even if the matches have been memorable.

This is a fair criticism, and scooping up more talent would make it worse.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
AJ was on Corey's podcast

AJ Styles posted:

Losing Gallows and Anderson really hurt me. Getting away from Raw helps me get over it — I don’t know if I’ll get over it, but it helps change the atmosphere around me and to do something different. My whole time on Raw was basically with them. To get away from that and get to SmackDown, where I’ve had a lot of success, it’s a good thing.

“I brought their names to WWE and when they got released, I immediately felt responsible for them because I helped them get here and I wanted them to stay. I thought, if I hadn’t encouraged them to stay maybe they wouldn’t be behind right now. A lot of it fell on me and I felt like I let them down. I talked to them about this and I was just crushed. I’m the oldest and I didn’t take care of them. That really bothered me. And it still does.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I think we can all agree that in all three cases even though we knew they were great they were not living up to their potential at the start because they needed to find their groove in AEW but now they are all three killin' it every week
i thought nyla was great from go. hangman's only problem was losing the PAC match before his title shot against Jericho, just cause most people didn't know him and needed to see him really go.

britt was held back because a dentist cannot possibly be a face, but i do think they knew what they were doing with her at the time. she was always going to be a massive heel, the stuff people hated was necessary to get her there. it's the same arc cody is on, just way faster. and it's why britt baker is, right now, a way better wrestler than cody rhodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

cams posted:

i thought nyla was great from go. hangman's only problem was losing the PAC match before his title shot against Jericho, just cause most people didn't know him and needed to see him really go.

britt was held back because a dentist cannot possibly be a face, but i do think they knew what they were doing with her at the time. she was always going to be a massive heel, the stuff people hated was necessary to get her there. it's the same arc cody is on, just way faster. and it's why britt baker is, right now, a way better wrestler than cody rhodes.

Going 25 minutes against Kip Sabian at Fight for the Fallen hurt Hangman worse I think. Should have been a 10 minute match tops. All I could think was the challenger for the title can't even put away this geek?