Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/Santana_Proud/status/1250585167275712513

:siren: AEW DARK MATCHES NEED TO BE SPOILER TAGGED IN THIS THREAD :siren:
They can be openly discussed without spoiler tags in the spoiler thread if you wish

AEW Dynamite for 4/15 via https://www.f4wonline.com

quote:

The show opened with a strong Jake Roberts promo.

Roberts said that TNT must have had Archer in mind when they designed the TNT Championship. He said Archer turns heads when he walks into a room. He said Archer is 275 pounds of steel. He's got a chip on his shoulder from being forced out of the country to make a living in Japan.

He said Cabana is good, but not good enough. He said when Archer wins the TNT belt, they'll be one step closer to what they want.

Jericho and Schiavone previewed the rest of the show for tonight.

A Colt Cabana video package played. Cabana said that he's a little over the top, a little silly sometimes, but he's dominated around the world for fifteen years.

Cabana said he's not looking past Archer. This was a strong promo from Cabana.

TNT Championship tournament quarterfinal match: Lance Archer defeated Colt Cabana

This was effective in that Archer looked like a killer.

Archer knocked down one of the wrestlers in the babyface crowd section on his entrance.

Archer went after Cabana with a forearm strike before the opening bell. Cabana fired back with chops. Archer cut Cabana off with power moves and began working him over.

Archer hit his version of a Vader bomb for a near fall. Archer took a stroll around the ring before a commercial break.

After the break, Archer missed a second rope splash. Cabana came back with an elbow strike, a flying apple and a splash of his own.

Cabana hit flip, flop and fly. Archer countered with a pounce and a chokeslam.

The finish saw Cabana block a charge into the corner. Archer powered Cabana up in the corner, then hit Blackout for the pin.

Britt Baker cut a promo from her dental office. This was funny.

She said rule one of being a role model is always fight fair. She said Hikaru Shida didn't fight fair when she gave Baker a deviated septum last week.

Baker said she fought on last week even without the usual support from her fans in the crowd.

Ariel Helwani and Taz gave their predictions for the title match. Helwani picked Hager. Taz picked Moxley.

Taz broke down Hager's head and arm choke and the different grips that he uses in applying it. This included footage from Hager's Bellator fights.

Britt Baker defeated Cassandra Golden

Baker hit a kick to the kneecap and then a superkick to the chin.

Baker curb-stomped Golden over the bottom rope and pinned her.

Ron Funches and Mike Goldberg gave predictions for the main event via video promo. Funches picked Moxley. Goldberg picked "his buddy" Jake Hager. Goldberg was a fountain of charisma and made sure to work in his catchphrases.

A video promo aired for Double or Nothing on May 23.

An Inner Circle segment titled "The Bubbly Bunch" played.

Santana and Ortiz ran down The Young Bucks. Sammy Guevara said he's not a fake Latino. Hager said he's going to beat the poo poo out of Moxley. Jericho did some comedy.

There are hits and misses in wrestling comedy. This was a miss.

Sammy Guevara defeated Suge D

Guevara used a waistlock takedown. They did a comedy dance spot. Suge hit a nice armdrag. Guevara cut Suge off with a kick, then used a delayed vertical suplex for a two count.

Guevara missed a charge into the corner and Suge made a comeback. Suge hit some chops and uppercut forearms.

Guevara answered with a running knee, then hit an inverted GTS for the pin.

Guevara cut a promo after the match. He said Suge D was light work.

He said in the first round of the TNT Championship tournament, he's going to beat the poo poo out of Darby Allin, the face-painted weirdo.

Guevara went after Suge again after his promo. Allin ran in to make the save and Guevara retreated.

MMA ref Big John McCarthy and Excalibur gave their predictions for the main event. McCarthy picked Hager. Excalibur picked Moxley.

Kip Sabian (w/Penelope Ford) defeated Chuck Taylor

Jericho put over Ford's leather pants.

The match began with a solid chain wrestling exchange. Sabian hit a springboard dropkick. The match spilled outside and Taylor hit an x-plex on the apron.

Taylor missed a moonsault. Sabian answered with a springboard dropkick for a two count. Sabian hit a penalty kick for another near fall. Cassidy took the referee and Sabian sent Taylor outside. Ford hit Taylor with kicks and forearm shots.

Sabian sat Taylor on the top rope and teased a dragon suplex off the top, which would be profoundly stupid in an empty arena. Taylor blocked and landed on his feet off a moonsault attempt.

Taylor used a falcon arrow and a sit-out powerbomb for a pair of near falls.

Taylor missed a double stomp. Sabian got a near fall off a draping suplex.

Taylor hit soul food for a near fall. Ford jumped on the apron to distract Taylor by taking her jacket off. Cassidy then jumped on the apron and took his jacket off. Tremendous.

Jimmy Havoc jumped out of the crowd and hit Cassidy with a DDT on the floor.

The finish saw Ford hit a flying headscissors off the top rope and Sabian rolled Taylor up for the pin.

This was one of the better empty arena matches you'll see.

We got some more main event predictions. Actor Dan Soder picked Moxley. Ortiz and Guevara picked Hager.

Shawn Spears defeated Justin Law

Law took two of the most awkward bumps I've ever seen off snapmares.

Spears wasn't taking Law seriously and gave him the opportunity to try to wrestle him from an amateur wrestling position. Law used the position to score a quick two count on Spears.

Spears hit some chops, then hit his C4 finisher for the pin.

A pair of TNT tournament matches were announced for next week in Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin and Dustin Rhodes vs. Kip Sabian.

Jimmy Havoc vs. Orange Cassidy, Brodie Lee in action and Kenny Omega in action were also announced for next week.

Bellator fighter Josh Thomson and Santana predicted that Hager will beat Moxley.

AEW World Championship match: Jon Moxley defeated Jake Hager to retain the title

There was great effort from all involved here. This was the strongest Jim Ross performance in a long time and he did so without a color commentator.

All that said, this needed a crowd badly. No matter how hard he works, this was still Jake Hager in a 30 minute main event with zero crowd reaction. That's tough sledding.

Moxley got a single-leg takedown and Hager pulled guard. Hager escaped. Moxley used a Fujiwara armbar to transition to a cross armbreaker attempt. Hager powered out and hit a strike.

Moxley tried an ankle pick. Hager rolled through and tried for an ankle lock. Moxley reached the ropes and Hager broke cleanly.

Moxley hit some chops, then used a wristlock to transition to a STF attempt. Moxley went for a kimura. Hager escaped and hit some stomps in the corner.

After a striking exchange, Moxley sent Hager outside and hit a plancha. Moxley followed Hager to the floor and locked on a cross armbreaker. Hager escaped with strikes before an ad break.

Hager threw Moxley into the barricade. Moxley raked Hager's eyes and threw him over the barricade. Moxley went for a Gotch-style piledriver on concrete but Hager hit a backdrop instead.

They fought into the seats. Moxley locked on a figure four around a railing. Moxley gave up the hold and hit a series of chops.

Hager escaped a guillotine and dropped Moxley on a barricade as they continued to brawl throughout the building. Back at ringside, Hager sent Moxley into the ring steps.

Back inside, Hager missed a Vader bomb. Moxley connected with a Regal knee strike. After a double down, Hager hit a gutwrench powerbomb for a near fall.

After another commercial break, the two traded clotheslines. Hager blocked another Gotch attempt and used an ankle lock. Moxley rolled through into a cradle for a near fall.

Moxley caught Hager coming off the second rope and hit a DDT. He went for a cover but Hager rolled into his head and arm choke. Moxley reached the ropes for a break.

Moxley rolled to the floor. Hager followed him out and used a chair to attack Moxley's abdomen. Hager wedged the chair between the middle and top turnbuckle. Moxley missed a charge and hit the chair. Hager rolled him up for a near fall before the final ad break.

Hager used the chair on Moxley's left leg. Hager then applied an ankle lock. Moxley kicked Hager off.

Moxley hit a double arm DDT, but used it to apply a guillotine. Hager slid out.

They traded strikes. Hager hit a low blow. Moxley hit Hager with the chair.

Moxley then hit a Paradigm Shift on the chair and pinned Hager.

Moxley cut a promo into the camera after the match. He said he'll fight anywhere any time. He said AEW is the hottest promotion in the world.

News
Double Or Nothing is happening but not in Vegas. Details to follow?
The Revival are free agents now... and a million other people!
Can there be any news when the company isn't running for a month and a half?

Upcoming Schedule

NEXT WEEK
ORANGE VS HAVOC
DARBY VS SAMMY
DUSTIN VS SABIAN

Links
The Official AEW Podcast! https://link.chtbl.com/AEW
Everything Elite Podcast the second most official and second most leftist podcast for the #1 promotion: https://redcircle.com/shows/everything-elite Everything Elite now has a weekly preview show!
AEW Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCFN4JkGP_bVhAdBsoV9xftA
Being the Elite Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UC2V6TA0OqHr9BojcHz9az-w
Twitter https://twitter.com/aewrestling
AEW on TNT Twitter: https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT
Myspace https://www.myspace.com/aewrestling

Your First New Champions in AEW History the Second AEW Tag Team Champions:

Your Second AEW Women's Champion:

And finally, your first All Elite Wrestling Champion to not have his title belt stolen at Longhorn Steakhouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hello once again from 'dynamite poster of the week' headquarters. This is the 'dynamite poster of the week' for this week and the significant runners up. each of them did their own rendition of "vinceflex" this evening, and we'd like to thank them for it.

1. StarkRavingMad
2. karmicknight
3. PUNKS DIET SODA
4. Mons Hubris
5. Barry Bluejeans

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Well, I wanted to give him a chance.

Jake Hager is a boring-rear end wrestler regardless of who he's working with.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well at least thanks to Vince, that won't be the worst wrestling thing I've seen this week, if just barely.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/luchablog/status/1250603993182633986?s=20

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Pretty slow show overall but the opening and closing matches were both pretty enjoyable

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
wrestling without a crowd sucks so much

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anecdote: I saw Jake Hager wrestle Lance Archer after a college football game in Denton, Texas a couple years ago. The match, despite a confused crowd and weird overall venue, was pretty damned good and I realize now that was all Lance Archer.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I switched over to Black Girl Magic after Chucky T/Kip (omg Monique Heart was sooooooooooo good i cried), was there anything else beyond the main event after that?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lance Archer seemingly effortlessly hauling up Colt Cabana for that Blackout was crazy. Colt Cabana is NOT a small man.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

What killed the main event most was probably the lack of a color commentator, JR going alone without even a crowd to fill the dead air is horrendous audio

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Jerusalem posted:

Lance Archer seemingly effortlessly hauling up Colt Cabana for that Blackout was crazy. Colt Cabana is NOT a small man.

This was impressive

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Jericho reenacting a whole scene of Decline of Western Civilization Pt. II and AEW just letting it happen is why WWE needs to die and AEW needs to live.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I liked the main event but Hager didn't throw as hard as I hoped but at least Mox did.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Seth Rollins posted:

wrestling without a crowd sucks so much

Even the 8 people cheering at ringside make a huge difference. Good lord...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also I love that Jericho was so supportive of the idea of Hager being the one to win the title and bring it back to the Inner Circle. They're surprisingly wholesome and supportive of each other for a heel squad.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the inner circle are chris jericho's support network in his life. he's known them all for many years and they've relied on eachother through thick and thin. no surprise

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

chuck and kip was cool

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Has there ever been a decent MMA/wrestling crossover or are they all universally terrible?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

boxcarhobo posted:

chuck and kip was cool

Chuck and Kip was very cool and that finish was great.

plester1 posted:

Has there ever been a decent MMA/wrestling crossover or are they all universally terrible?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCW_Bloodsport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_Network_Rings

Benne posted:

If that was just a normal match that leaned into the shoot-style stuff and was a neat and tidy 12 minutes, I think it would've been fine, perhaps even good. But then Hager ran out of gas and they tried to do the walk-and-brawl and it all fell apart. Probably Moxley's worst match since he left the fed.

This basically mirrors my opinion of the match, it was a fun shoot style match stretched to cover the second hour of AEW Dynamite.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 16, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If that was just a normal match that leaned into the shoot-style stuff and was a neat and tidy 12 minutes, I think it would've been fine, perhaps even good. But then Hager ran out of gas and they tried to do the walk-and-brawl and it all fell apart. Probably Moxley's worst match since he left the fed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

boxcarhobo posted:

chuck and kip was cool

OC getting up on the ring apron to seduce Kip, and Jericho's comment about him looking coy, was great.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Seemingly unpopular opinion on this page but I actually kinda liked the Mox vs Hager match. It did get slower near the end but that's what I expected I guess?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Chuckie T with match of the night weird

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Archer/Cabana was my pick for MOTN, intense action and a cool finish and it didn't overstay its welcome.

Chuck/Sabian was fine but every Kip Sabian match seems to go 5 minutes too long.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i think mox dragged out of hager what will be basically the best worked match of hager's career; he worked into hager's style and mox still looked like he could go, he's a fantastic athlete

i wish it wasn't jon's first defense and i wish it wasn't in the middle of a pandemic, and i think no matter what hager is just loving boring

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Jericho reenacting a whole scene of Decline of Western Civilization Pt. II and AEW just letting it happen is why WWE needs to die and AEW needs to live.

For easy reference:

https://youtu.be/wnLKgTyqup0

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I really liked the beginning 1/3rd of Mox/Hager, wish it was that then weapon spots.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And while I liked the main event and loved the build I liked the B sides Dynamite from last week more.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1250613464810340352?s=19

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That was the best match of that particular Wrestlemania

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

chuck and kip was cool

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

First Dynamite I've missed/had no desire to catch up on. I just can't get into empty arena wrestling, and a big Jake Hager / Jon Moxley (who honestly outside of the Kenny match has been really underwhelming in AEW for me) main event just kills all interest.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shinjobi posted:

agree 100%

bartok
May 10, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

The only other halfway decent match was Kalisto vs Ryback in a slowly filling arena match.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
i was right about the last match going the remainder of the show so someone’s getting shoes full of piss

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

plester1 posted:

We didn't know what we had with Ken Shamrock.

WatermelonGun posted:

i was right about the last match going the remainder of the show so someone’s getting shoes full of piss

All 3 empty arena brawls this month have been long. Only thing AEW did better was make it 30+ mins instead of 40+.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
For me I think the Hager/Moxley match woulda been a fun TV main event on like a regular Dynamite. As an empty arena match, though, it really suffered, and they couldn't overcome that drawback. Honestly mighta been better if they shot it with everything else and had guys on the sidelines shouting poo poo, that's worked for most of the other matches.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Hager's such a weird thing to me. Like, setting his loathsome personal beliefs aside, the guy seems like he should be a good professional wrestler. Collegiate background, some light MMA work, big guy, long limbs, good look, plenty of experience in the business. Every time some promotion puts him in a big match spot, I always feel like I'm ready to give him the benefit of the doubt (again, as to wrestling only, not his personal beliefs), like he should have a real banger of a match buried somewhere in there. And then his matches are just...there. They aren't terrible botchfests, but they just kind of happen and that's it. The plain oatmeal of wrestling matches. And I'm left going "Oh right, Jake Hager."

I want to see Omega versus Hager. Not because I really want to see any more Hager matches, but almost as a scientific test. I feel like Kenny is the guy who can work a good match out of nearly anyone. It's an unstoppable force versus immovable object kind of test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

My friend and I barely knew who Ryder was, but still got the story and emotion behind it. Great moment! And then the next day I read they took the title off him already. Just reinforced that WWE can’t do anything right.