Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Useless Keyboard Key
Scroll Lock
Pause/Break
Insert
Delete
Home
End
Num Lock
Other
View Results

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
I don't know that I've intentionally hit any of these in my life. Insert is particularly hosed because you go to change a line and look away and suddenly you've eaten three sentences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's F3

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

It's Insert because while the F keys have zero utility, the Insert key has negative utility.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
the 2nd alt key on the right side of the keyboard

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress you say? I use all al al of them
scroll...........

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

whatever the thing between windows and right ctrl is

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

prollythebiglongkeyatthebottomitonlyslowsdownmyposting

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i legit don't even know what scroll lock does

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Insert, because overtype is actively harmful to society.

For least use that doesn't go into the negative-use like Insert does: Whatever the gently caress that key is with no name and just a cartoon of menu. It never does poo poo or is exactly the same as a right-click.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's scroll lock

I think I've at least PUSHED the other keys on there at some point in my computer/word processor history. Except for that loving thing. Like star eater said. I'm literally NOT sure what that thing is supposed to do. I presume it prevents me from scrolling off screen if I was working on a console input so I don't lose the prompt??

However, the person who said "whatever the thing is to the right of the right Alt key" gets a goddamn second place because I had forgotten whatever the gently caress that is was even ON there and had to actually stare at it for a bit.
...I pushed it and it opened the 'File' menu. Why did it do that? Why do I need a button there for that?

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
The function keys problem is that they're nonstandardized and underdocumented - nobody is going to seek out that Ctrl+Shift+F6 allows you to quickly switch between Word documents. They're often used for program options in gaming, however

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
The most uselessly bound key is Caps Lock. The actual key itself is fine, but it should be swapped with Escape by default.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Scroll lock is the key i use for push-to-talk on discord, i've got it mapped to my foot pad and it doesn't interfere with anything else because it's a useless key that i dont think even does anything.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
If you've ever gotten deep into spreadsheets or editing values in fields you will use Home and End heavily and love them. It's an insult they are on the poll :mad:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Daikloktos posted:

The function keys problem is that they're nonstandardized and underdocumented - nobody is going to seek out that Ctrl+Shift+F6 allows you to quickly switch between Word documents. They're often used for program options in gaming, however

This is why I studiously maintain scores of those laminated cardboard things that fit around function keys that list what their shortcuts do and switch them out as I need them, pulling them from my special purpose rolodex that I keep them stored in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
its u

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I have another dirty secret. I dunno that I've ever successfully activated the 'SysRq' function on the PrntScrn key or know what its intended purpose was. I feel like this is something I should know.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I was gonna says the windows key, but I guess that's actively detrimental rather than useless. I say numlock because I genuinely don't can't think of any situation where you could not just leave it permanently enabled. The others I could at least come up with a theoretical use, even if I've never actually done it.

Definitely not the fucken home key though. A surprising number of video games use it as a camera reset. Try it. Boot up a Total War game, spin/zoom/move your camera around to some nonsense position, then press home.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What about the tilde button up at the top next to 1?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

General Dog posted:

Gamers use that for opening up the console

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Dog posted:

Meh~

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

§
± is the shift-alternative.
This key takes up valuable real estate on a macbook keyboard that doesn't even have a # key
I had to copy paste a # symbol from elsewhere to make this post.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

General Dog posted:

Look at this scrub.

Go back to playing Elder Scrolls games on xbox you loving noob!!!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rabid Snake posted:

Gamers use that for opening up the console

Yeah, that's the "Fix Fallout New Vegas" button for me.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Alt Gr which is for ??

My guess is that it brings up an alt-right Grindr website when pressed.

mine doesn't work :sad:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the keys I press the least are scroll lock and right Ctrl, but at least scroll lock can toggle an LED.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Windows key. Back when I had the WoW monkey on my back, I had to pry the key off the keyboard because I would accidentally hit it when going for keybinds and by the time I alt-tabbed back some rogue would have killed me

Of course I had a pretty poo poo computer some of that time so that didn't help

BTW as an honorable mention gently caress numlock. I want it on all the drat time. Never turn that poo poo off. I've got spreadsheets to do, motherfucker, I don't need to waste time rekeying crap because I accidentally turned it off and I've lost minutes of keying in poo poo.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Å

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

My old laptop had a key that opened the Calculator in Windows 7. After updating to Windows 10, it did nothing at all.

I actually ended up pulling it off once to see if the keys could be taken off to clean under them. I couldn't get it to pop back into place, so I just ended up super gluing it on. I guess that's the most use I ever got out of it.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
You know the key left from 1? with like § and ½ and poo poo on it. It's that one.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Insert is good. I was going to say that the numpad is bad and should go, but then I remembered that the numpad is used by DROD, which is good, and therefore the numpad is also good.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I was looking at my current keyboard, thinking that I haven't hit Pause|Break since 1995, when I suddenly realized it doesn't even HAVE a Scroll Lock key and I never noticed. So that one.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
poo poo i voted "home" but i want to change it to scroll lock. never even heard that one b4

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Admiralty Flag posted:

Windows key. Back when I had the WoW monkey on my back, I had to pry the key off the keyboard because I would accidentally hit it when going for keybinds and by the time I alt-tabbed back some rogue would have killed me

Of course I had a pretty poo poo computer some of that time so that didn't help

BTW as an honorable mention gently caress numlock. I want it on all the drat time. Never turn that poo poo off. I've got spreadsheets to do, motherfucker, I don't need to waste time rekeying crap because I accidentally turned it off and I've lost minutes of keying in poo poo.

windows+e and windows+d are both good imo

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

like what does scroll lock even do besides turn on a pretty keyboard light

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Nurge posted:

You know the key left from 1? with like § and ½ and poo poo on it. It's that one.

I don't have one of those.

e: I DO have a Pause/Break key and I'm not even sure that has any function at all in any form of modern computing, does it?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I used to have a job that used scroll lock in an AS400 terminal emulator but I can't remember what it was for

The people in that job missed having keyboards with 24 function keys. whew

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Admiralty Flag posted:

Oh yeah this for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

RepeatingMeme posted:

like what does scroll lock even do besides turn on a pretty keyboard light

It locks your scroll. It's a good joke to play on the court herald right as he's about to read the king's proclamation.