Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sum Gai posted:

I have a vague memory of there being some kind of experience scaling where enemies give out lower XP rewards at higher character levels, putting a practical cap on how high level a character can get in the early game. Is it possible that's what we're talking about?

Nope, not a thing in FF1, but experience required per level goes up fast so fighting low level enemies isn't going to do you much good. Per the source I looked up experience gains on 8/9 is the lowest level possible to win as of 2012, though I don't know what glitches they are or aren't taking into account into that calculation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Some Goon posted:

Nope, not a thing in FF1, but experience required per level goes up fast so fighting low level enemies isn't going to do you much good. Per the source I looked up experience gains on 8/9 is the lowest level possible to win as of 2012, though I don't know what glitches they are or aren't taking into account into that calculation.

It would also depend on solo vs full party. (Solo could approximate the "full party" amount by swapping dead time).

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Some Goon posted:

But the thing about enemies running away if you're too strong is real? That's probably what I was thinking of- eventually there's no enemies that'll actually stay and fight, which makes brute-force level-grinding a lot tougher in a way that's very relevant to a solo thief.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sum Gai posted:

But the thing about enemies running away if you're too strong is real? That's probably what I was thinking of- eventually there's no enemies that'll actually stay and fight, which makes brute-force level-grinding a lot tougher in a way that's very relevant to a solo thief.

It is, but with how experience scales the practicality of fighting area appropriate enemies falls off fast anyways. It takes 35 times the experience to reach level 7 that it does level 2.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 27, 2020

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
I was a young, dumb lad with way too much time on his hands.

I haven't tried it on the NES version yet and I don't really plan on doing so!

Yapping Eevee posted:

I have absolutely tried this thing. :shepface: It's rough going, let me tell you. Astos and Lich are probably the biggest stumbling blocks, but it definitely gets easier soon after that.

Yeeeep. They absolutely are, and I don't even think it's for reasons specific to being a thief; it's just that being a thief makes the problems that arise from facing them even worse.

I may or may not elaborate once we actually get to these bosses, though all of my experience is from the Dawn of Souls version on so that'll probably impact things a bit. The important things stick, though!

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Sum Gai posted:

But the thing about enemies running away if you're too strong is real?

This is why I can't grind to level 50 without fighting Garland.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Level 05: Eye of the FrWOLF

Sailing past the Conerian Sea, we come back to a place I hardly even touched except for some shopping and for a 'boss battle' to trample over, Pravoka.

This time, we're here to use the Inn, and do some shopping. This and Coneria are the only places we can pick up TENTs from a store, so I guess it's time to go over them properly.. TENTs, CABINs, and HOUSEs all restore a certain amount of HP and allow you to save, as long as you're outside at the time. TENTs restore 30 HP for all party members, which isn't much, but they're extremely cheap and worth stocking up on as mobile save points. CABINs are much more common, despite costing several times more and only restoring 60 HP.

HOUSEs cost several thousand Gold each, and only restore 120 HP, but they also restore all spell slots. This will start to become extremely important once the trips to dungeons start taking a lot of oomph. Even this doesn't render TENTs and CABINs useless, as HOUSEs actually save before restoring spells, so you need to use a cheaper save item afterwards if you want to actually still have your spells if you wipe. They're actually purchasable in ElfLand, so you can assume from here on out that whenever I go into a dungeon, I've first used a HOUSE and a TENT.

For right now, we're just picking up a few TENTs, and some HEAL and PURE potions. Also saving again, because I am a compulsive saver.

By traveling southeast from Pravoka, then up northeast, we pass through another area with similar encounters to Elfland.

It's here that I finally run into a GrOGRE. They're OGREs with more HP, and enough Absorb to make it difficult for Punt to hurt them, and they hit pretty hard. By now, we've run into enemies in the Marsh Cave who hit harder, but they can be quite threatening when you first get the chance to see them, or if they get lucky and launch a Mage like a golf ball.

But that's not why we're here. Upon reaching the northeastmost section of the continent, we stop and save with one of the many TENTs I brought. We're going to need it.

Some of you already knew this was coming: Welcome to the Peninsula of Power Leveling. Final Fantasy 1, like many old RPGs, maps encounters by zones. There are a few places where the zones don't touch at all, which is why you can run into IMPs even in endgame areas. This peninsula is different. Instead of not having any encounter data, the top row has the encounter data of the continent to the north, one we won't be able to reach for at least three more dungeons. Like the weapon crit rates, the PPL is a bug that has been canonized in every future remake. Not just that, but it's a common feature in JRPGs even today to include a hard to reach early game area with mid to late game enemies.

And hoo boy, do the enemies here prove it. Every single one of these encounters is extremely deadly.

GIANTs are something we'll be running into in the next dungeon after the Marsh Cave. Nothing fancy about them, just huge sacks of HP with okay Base Evade and attacks that can take down Hack in three solid hits, and anyone else in two. This is a problem when they can spawn in groups of as many as four. Two is a tough but doable encounter, but even three is pushing it. Four is just a contest of if we can run away before somebody dies.

TROLLs are another enemy from that same dungeon. Less HP than GIANTs, but instead of a single strong attack, they've got three attacks about on par with a GrOGRE. They are, however, weak to Fire. This is especially helpful given that they always spawn with ZomBULLs, another solid wall of meat resistant to most elements, but weak to Fire and, as you might imagine, HARM. It still takes multiple FIR2 and HRM2 casts to kill them, but they're a fight that CAN be overcome, if I'l willing to commit the resources.

TYROs can only be found in this and one other endgame area of the world map, and boy do they show why. Every enemy in this area can take out most of us in two hits, but the TYRO can actually full-to-zero Dirk in a single hit with a good damage roll, even after Absorb. They're classified as Dragons, which could matter later if certain weapons worked like they're supposed to, but since they don't, this is a 500 HP tower of death with 100% Magic Defense and a Gold drop that isn't remotely worth it.

The last encounter, the Death or Glory battle that I try to run into as muc has possible, is with the FrWOLFs. Spawning in groups of anywhere from 4 to 7, FrWOLFs have less than 100 HP, no Absorb, pretty average evade and attacks, poor Magic Defense, and a weakness to fire. What makes them dangerous is their special attack FROST, which deals between 50 and 100 Cold damage to the whole party. High M.Def has a chance to reduce this, but in large groups, that's not going to matter if a bunch of them decide to use the 1/4 chance to cast it. A single FIR2 can clear out most, if not all of them, assuming they don't wipe us first.

There is also another, extremely rare enemy type, the WYVERN, but we didn't see any of them, which is good. When we're supposed to see them, they're pushovers. Right now, they're dodgy poisonous bastards with lots of HP and group sizes of up to four.

The rewards for braving these battles is extremely lucrative, each one more than covering the cost of another TENT and the HEAL potions needed to patch back up.

It doesn't take long to reach not just Level 9, but also Level 10 this way, even with Punt behind everyone else in EXP because of the KO in the Marsh Cave.

Every level we get from here makes further levels even easier, and it wouldn't be hard to stay here grinding until we're in the mid-teens, and everything crumples beneath our feet. I'm tempted, but that would really throw off the challenge of the upcoming boss fights, so for the sake of a good LP, I decide to leave it at that for now.

I finally pick up some Iron Armor for Hack, and some more items, including my first HOUSE, but the real reason we need this money is to finally get some of those delicious Level 4 spells I passed over before.

Level 4 is a weird one for White Mages. No healing, but lots of defensive stuff. PURE functions identically to the potions, while costing as much as 50+ of them. Once money and Level 4 spells are easier to cast in larger numbers, it'll be a nice way to save me some item-purchasing button mashing. FEAR reduces enemy monsters' Morale, making enemies more likely to run away the same way they would if a party was extremely high level. There's some shenanigans we can get up to with this, again, once I can cast it more than once or twice. (Don't spoil how, I've got a great way to show it off lined up.) AICE is another elemental protection spell, and if we were to go back to the Peninsula again, it would make grinding against FrWOLFs much safer. There's an ice dungeon coming up, and we'll get a bit of use out of it there, but it's still the most niche of the main A- spells. I say main, because AMUT doesn't actually make the party immune to Mute. It cures it. You can't cast spells while Muted. (You also can't use items or potions, but that may be a bug.) That miiight be useful in an all-caster party, when you've got multiple users who could clear each other, but with just Buff, it's basically useless.

None of these are extremely pressing at the moment (famous last words), so I skip White Magic and instead go Black Magic shopping.

Black Magic is much, much happier to see 4. FAST doubles how many attacks the target can make for the rest of the battle (or until they're hit with a SLOW), and it's the only physical buff spell that actually works. We're going to be casting it on Hack and Punt a lot. ICE2 deals a touch more damage than FIR2 or LIT2, and will be extremely useful in that Fire dungeon we talked about before. It's also my go-to for cleaning out weaker encounters I don't feel like dealing with. SLP2 seems to be the upgrade to SLEP, but it only targets a single enemy, and even if it weren't bugged, enemies with more than 80 HP would always wake up on their first turn. The real upgrade to SLEP is CONF. Another status element spell, with the same (decent) accuracy as SLEP2, it instead targets all enemies, and inflicts Confusion. Confused enemies have a 75% chance to, instead of their normal move, make an attack on their allies, and a 25% chance to recover. The attack does paltry damage, but that's not the point. The point is that an enemy attacking its allies isn't attacking you. (In this way, it's also an upgrade to HOLD.)

I've only got enough for two, so I pick up FAST and ICE2, saving CONF for later.

Now that we're properly leveled and geared up, let's take another shot at the Marsh Cave. The south stairs take us to the lower second floor, with chests that might be worth grabbing if we hadn't already cleared out the top half. I basically skip it entirely.

The third floor is what matters. There's a couple things that might actually be worth grabbing here, including a HOUSE, and some Iron Armor (which would matter more if I had a second party member who could wear it or hadn't gone on such lucrative grinding earlier.)

We also finally encounter WrWOLFs. They were a rare spawn back in the Temple of Fiends, and several other areas we've since been to, but this is the first time we've gotten a reasonable chance to see them. Statistically, they're very similar to GrWOLFs, but their attacks can Poison. Now that they can spawn in groups as large as six, that can be a problem if you didn't bring enough PURE potions.

...I might not have brought enough PURE potions.

Similar to a death, if someone ends a battle Poisoned, the party order can end up shuffled, or even reversed. So whiile the 2-per-round and 1-per-step damage is no longer as threatening as it once was, the chance of accidentally charging into battle with Dirk at the front very much is.

This is also when I finally run into a R.BONE, which turns the Crawl's paralysis shenanigans from slightly threatening to extremely threatening. They're still weak to Fire and HARM, though, and a very worthy target, even with their high HP.

Thankfully, I manage to get through the rest of the floor without any spectacular screw-ups to the completely safe final chest surrounded by ominous statues and only approachable from one direction. Opening the chest requires stepping on the first force-an-encounter floor tile we will see in the game.

This triggers a battle with two WIZARDs, who aren't spellcasters, but are in fact melee attackers. They've got a threatening double attack and good Absorb for this point in the game, and resist Fire, Cold, and Status. But with only 84 HP and no Lightning resistance, they drop to a single LIT2 and some gentle persuasion from Hack.

We finally have the Crown! If I wasn't still poisoned and hurting for spell slots, I could actually walk back and forth onto the tile again and again to grind out a few battles for some easy EXP and Gold, but I decide that A) we've done plenty of grinding, and B) discretion is the better part of valor, and we limp back out to ElfLand to heal and get some more PURE Potions.

The expedition didn't give us enough money to grab any more spells, even after selling the treasures we found, so we just turn right around (after saving, of course), and head back to the totally normal castle.

Surprise, it's ASTOS! Our first real boss fight since GARLAND.

ASTOS almost always opens the battle by casting an instant kill spell, RUB, on a random party member. It has about 60-70% accuracy, depending on the M.Def of the target, and we get extremely lucky that he actually misses with it, especially since Buff will be crucial if the battle drags on. The SLO2 (a more accurate, single-target SLOW) he casts on Punt is a free turn for us, as with ASTOS's 40 Absorb, neither Hack nor Punt are going to be dealing any kind of significant damage on anything short of a critical hit.

Rather than shuffling their options, enemies in FF1NES instead go down the list of their possible spells one at a time every time they cast. After SLO2, ASTOS will cast FAST, FIR2, LIT2, then SLOW, DARK, SLEP, and back to RUB.

A couple of ICE2s from Dirk make sure that he doesn't get a chance to get past FAST, and Hack finishes him off with a hilarious cherry tap.

With the CRYSTAL in hand, we can finally finish up that fetch quest. Sailing across the sea, we give it to Matoya so she can give us the HERB, which we sail back to ElfLand to deliver to the Prince.

In exchange, we get the mystical KEY, and immediately use it to raid a slightly-hidden armory that can only be reached by hugging the southeast wall of the castle. Inside, we find a paltry amount of Gold, but also a Silver Hammer and Copper Gauntlets, upgrades for Buff and Hack, respectively. The Silver Hammer provides a small damage and Base Hit increase, and a much higher Crit Rate (we're up to 9.5% now), and the Copper Gauntlet gives a single point of Absorb above what Gloves do (and will be replaced almost immediately). But, hey, they're free, so I can't complain too much.

We also hit Level 11, finally breaking the "level is update number x2" streak.

There are several places we've seen that need the KEY, but I'm a bit sour about needing to flee from the Marsh Cave twice, so let's head back in and see if third time's the charm.

Next Level: Spells keep getting more expensive.

Party Status

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 27, 2020

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

PMush Perfect posted:

Some of you already knew this was coming: Welcome to the Peninsula of Power Leveling. Final Fantasy 1, like many old RPGs, maps encounters by zones. There are a few places where the zones don't touch at all, which is why you can run into IMPs even in endgame areas. This peninsula is different. Instead of not having any encounter data, the top row has the encounter data of the continent to the north, one we won't be able to reach for at least three more dungeons.

Gotta love this little happy accident. I was one of those people who found this spot as a child and sent a letter in to Nintendo Power asking if this was just my copy or if this worked for everyone. Their reply was basically "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Another thing about AMUT,

If I remember right, there are only 2 enemies that can cast MUTE, and both enemies are fairly weak and fairly far down their combat scripts.

So not only useless if your White Mage is muted, but also incredibly rare to even see its use case at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That 40 Absorb is such a huge problem for the solo Thief. Basically you have to a) hope you survive the opening RUB, then b) deal enough damage to kill Astos before he gets back to RUB. That's not happening until your damage gets way up there, and you have mediocre stats and weapon options. So...grinding, and lots of it. Plus a lot of hoping you get critical hits.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
So, uh, yeah. Astos can be a huge roadblock for SCCs entirely because of Death/RUB and not one but TWO casts of Slow/ra/2 (RUB -> SLO2 -> FAST -> FIR2 -> LIT2 -> SLOW -> BLND -> SLEP is his rotation specifically) in his rotation, alongside casting attack magic.

At least for solo thief it's a ton of luck that's only kinda mitigated by levels. He sucks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That 40 Absorb is such a huge problem for the solo Thief. Basically you have to a) hope you survive the opening RUB, then b) deal enough damage to kill Astos before he gets back to RUB. That's not happening until your damage gets way up there, and you have mediocre stats and weapon options. So...grinding, and lots of it. Plus a lot of hoping you get critical hits.
Hey, you've got about a 10-15% chance to survive two RUBs in a row. That's not too bad, right? :j:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
I remember hating the Marsh Cave so much on the original NES. I was a dumb kid and had to get the Crown and every treasure in one shot. Either I'd blow everything on the Wizards and get killed limping around for the rest of the loot, or save the Crown for last and lose a party member or three on the Wizards. My answer was to grind Ogres outside of ElfLand. :v:

Also, I love the incredibly telegraphed heel-turn from Astos. HA, HA, HA! Villains that are unapologetic and theatrical are my favorite. To a point, anyway. The Exdeath-Kuja line, if you will.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Having both a black mage and white mage in the party makes it easy to discuss the spells, but I'm kinda interested in how things would pan out for a red mage. I seem to remember them not just being limited by the upper level limit of spells they could learn. Aren't some of the low levels spells exclusive to the primary casters?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

RUB is a hilarious name for an instant death spell. What was it supposed to mean though? Or was it just awful translation?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ASTOS? MO' LIKE YO' rear end IS TOAST!

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I’m guessing the roaring twenties slang “to rub out” meaning to kill somebody. Probably originally a Japanese term that didn’t reduce into a four character English term, or “death”, which was heavily censored by NOA at the time.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

HardDiskD posted:

RUB is a hilarious name for an instant death spell. What was it supposed to mean though? Or was it just awful translation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ly35NQfZw8&t=44s

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That explanation is fantastic! And furthermore, it's unbelieva-

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So what is considered the definitive version FFI and how can you play it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Bregor posted:

I remember hating the Marsh Cave so much on the original NES. I was a dumb kid and had to get the Crown and every treasure in one shot. Either I'd blow everything on the Wizards and get killed limping around for the rest of the loot, or save the Crown for last and lose a party member or three on the Wizards. My answer was to grind Ogres outside of ElfLand. :v:

Also, I love the incredibly telegraphed heel-turn from Astos. HA, HA, HA! Villains that are unapologetic and theatrical are my favorite. To a point, anyway. The Exdeath-Kuja line, if you will.

I had to get through Marsh Cave in one shot if possible too. Because I wanted to get it done, not because I was dumb. Didn’t always work out in practice.

Rub may have been a reference to the mob slang “rub out” meaning murder but yeah, probably just a translation error that slipped through but didn’t quite become a classic like ”I, Garland, will knock you all down!”

One note about the Silver Hammer- it will sadly be Dirk’s only available weapon for a long time. :( They made Hammers the only weapon White Mages can use and then only put 4 types in the game. Black Belts have it worse with their only weapon type as Nunchucks and only 2 types, but at least they’re supposed to go back to bare hands at a certain level (not that the game tells you this explicitly anywhere- I had to find it out on the early internet myself).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Having both a black mage and white mage in the party makes it easy to discuss the spells, but I'm kinda interested in how things would pan out for a red mage. I seem to remember them not just being limited by the upper level limit of spells they could learn. Aren't some of the low levels spells exclusive to the primary casters?
Oh, I should go into that. That's actually a pretty good idea for a mechanics update. Thank you.

WaltherFeng posted:

So what is considered the definitive version FFI and how can you play it?
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want the full classic experience, the original on the NES (also available on the VC and NES Classic) is the way to go. If you want almost the classic, but don't want to deal with the myriad bugs, Final Fantasy Restored is a great romhack for that.

If you want something a little nicer-looking (or want bugfixes without romhacking), Final Fantasy Origins on the PS1 (and PSN Store) pretties it up, fixes the bugs, and keeps the spell slot system, while every other version switches to MP (and dramatically rebalances the game). It also includes Final Fantasy 2, IIRC. If you don't care about faithfulness and just wanna play a more modernized FF1, consider Dawn of Souls on the GBA, which also includes 2, or the PSP/Mobile version, which includes bonus dungeons.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thanks. The romhack sounds good so I'll definitely give it a try.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Oberndorf posted:

I’m guessing the roaring twenties slang “to rub out” meaning to kill somebody. Probably originally a Japanese term that didn’t reduce into a four character English term, or “death”, which was heavily censored by NOA at the time.
That's exactly it. It's called "Death" in Japanese.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Astoth

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mechanics Corner: Red Mages, Pt. 1

With 4th Level spells and Silver weapons available, we have reached halfway through the list of available equipment and magic, give or take. Here and there, I talk about what Red Mages can access, but I've never gone over equipment in detail, spell selection at all, or what any of that means. If Punt had been a Red Mage instead of a Black Belt, what would he be using right now?

First, let's list out all of the Red Mage's available stuff up to this point, and then we'll go into the implications of it.

Notable Weapons
Rapier, Short Sword, Scimitar, Sabre, Silver Sword

As far as weapons go, the early-game Red Mage has options almost on par with the Fighter. With a much lower Strength and Base Hit, he's not going to be dealing nearly as much damage, and it will take him several levels longer than a Fighter to start double-attacking (Level 9 even with a Short Sword.) The lack of Axes could theoretically hurt, but their lower Base Hit means he wouldn't want to use them anyways.

Notable Armor
Chain Armor, Cap, Gloves

Aside from early access to Chain Armor, the Red Mage hasn't seen a single upgrade not accessible to everyone. There's one coming up soon, but it's only got an Absorb of 18, compared to Chain's 15. Hardly a world-changing buff. With no access to Helmets, Shields, or Gauntlets, it's not uncommon for a Fighter to have double the Absorb of a Red Mage at the same point in the game. Still alright for a second-slot party member, but combined with their low HP growth, this is about when a Red Mage really starts to feel their comparative frailty, especially compared to a Black Belt's higher max HP and Base Evade.

Notable Black Magic
1: FIRE, LIT, SLEP
2: ICE, SLOW
3: FIR2, LIT2, HOLD
4: ICE2, FAST, CONF

Notable White Magic
1: CURE, FOG
2: INVS, ALIT, MUTE
3: CUR2, AFIR
4: PURE, AICE

In the front half of the game, the Red Mage has almost the full selection of worthwhile spells at their disposal, especially on the Black Magic side. Not having RUSE hurts, as it'd be a great salve for their mediocre Absorb, but outside of that, the only thing they're missing out on is the HARM series. It's much harder to care about that when Red Mages are still perfectly capable of casting Fire magic.

With only three spells per level, a Red Mage has a few times when they must choose which direction to lean. With a White or Black Mage in the party, this is much easier, as they can just lean in the other direction. With both, they provide more casts of spells you'll be using often or want available as quickly as possible. Just for fun, I'll throw together a few spell lists based on what I'd make in each of those situations.

Replacement White Mage
1: FIRE, CURE, FOG
2: ICE, INVS, ALIT
3: FIR2, CUR2, AFIR
4: ICE2, FAST, AICE

Fire magic is at a premium without anyone to cast HARM, as is crisis healing and the A- series.

Replacement Black Mage
1: FIRE, LIT, SLEP
2: ICE, SLOW, INVS
3: FIR2, LIT2, CUR2

Without a Black Mage, hitting elemental weaknesses and disrupting groups is paramount, as is FAST. CUR2 is nice enough to squeeze in, though.

Supplemental OR Only Mage
1: FIRE, LIT, CURE
2: ICE, INVS, SLOW
3: FIR2, LIT2, CUR2

This is basically a shortlist of "spells I use a lot that the Red Mage has access to", including full elemental coverage, some crowd control, healing, and, of course, FAST. As the only mage in the party, I might replace INVS with ALIT, LIT2 with AFIR, and CONF with AICE. I really, really like having at least one caster with access to the A- spells.

I'll cover endgame equipment and Spell Levels 5 through 8 once we can reach them ourselves, near the end of the game. That's when the Red Wizard really starts to lag behind the dedicated casters and beaters. For now, they're effective at what they try to be, a flexible jack-of-all-trades. Just wish they had some slightly better armor options.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 27, 2020

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

And there it was. Pure, a spell where just to break even on cash you'd need to be poisoned more times than you will likely ever see over the course of the entire game. And you're using casting slots for it.

Or you would if those slots weren't.... meh.

Its really funny to stack it against cure 1 which does the exact same gimmick of replacing an item, but it does so early enough on that the spell pays itself off almost immediately.

It's only saving grace is that in the original shop menus are so painful it might be worth it for your sanity over sitting around buying 50 pure potions 1 by 1.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

It's only saving grace is that in the original shop menus are so painful it might be worth it for your sanity over sitting around buying 50 pure potions 1 by 1.
Which is exactly why I'm eventually going to pick it up. It's not like healing potions where I can just hold down turbo A and dissociate for a couple minutes.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

FoolyCharged posted:

And there it was. Pure, a spell where just to break even on cash you'd need to be poisoned more times than you will likely ever see over the course of the entire game.

Everyone says this but I got poisoned like every two minutes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The real “just buy some loving potions” honor goes to SOFT, which we will be talking about when it comes up.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Honestly surprised you didn't go with Blast for the Black Mage.

I know he's going to be stabbing more often than blasting but Dirk strikes me as more of a Thief name.

(Also, would this make the Red Mage alternate universe version Bolt Vanderhuge?)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bliss Authority posted:

Honestly surprised you didn't go with Blast for the Black Mage.

I know he's going to be stabbing more often than blasting but Dirk strikes me as more of a Thief name.

(Also, would this make the Red Mage alternate universe version Bolt Vanderhuge?)
Blast is five characters long and FF1 tops out at four.

Also yes.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I thought you could get more than 2 wizards in that encounter, or am I remembering wrong?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Its randomly between 2 and... 4 mages, I think.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Judging by the picture, the monster Wizard is supposed to be a D&D style Mind Flayer. This monster was originally conceived by HP Lovecraft and his contemporaries. The updated remakes of FF1 call Wizards "Piscodaemons." They also call Imps "Goblins", and I don't think they significantly change any other names of monsters we've seen so far.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Judging by the picture, the monster Wizard is supposed to be a D&D style Mind Flayer. This monster was originally conceived by HP Lovecraft and his contemporaries. The updated remakes of FF1 call Wizards "Piscodaemons." They also call Imps "Goblins", and I don't think they significantly change any other names of monsters we've seen so far.
Correct. Similar sprites are used in a bunch of future games for Mind Flayers, with a signature Mind Blast move.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

achtungnight posted:

Yeah they're totally Illithids, this'll be more obvious when we meet their palette swaps :gonk:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Its randomly between 2 and... 4 mages, I think.

A number of "trap tile" fights work this way, and I believe you can also be surprised by them. Nothing like working your way to the end of the dungeon, thinking "if I just have to fight 2 or 3, I'll be OK", then getting surprised by 4.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

achtungnight posted:

This monster was originally conceived by HP Lovecraft and his contemporaries.

:actually:
The original Mind Flayer was made up by Gary Gygax himself, though he said the design was inspired by an old Brian Lumley paperback cover:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was given my information by the Final Fantasy Wiki, which said Gygax couldn’t claim copyright for Mind Flayers because Lovecraft and Brian Lumley crested the monsters. There were at least two other monsters the game took from D&D whose appearance had to be changed significantly to avoid copyright issues. We have not seen either one yet, so I’ll say no more about them right now. If my information is incorrect, I apologize.