Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Junpei posted:

It's me, the weirdo voting for all 3 of the mages

Not that weird, I did it too.

This is the first game that got me into video games. I will gladly enjoy another LP of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Given the tv and movies I watched growing up, I always pictured my FF party as the following characters-

Fighter- HeMan
Black Belt- Bruce Lee, especially with the Nunchuks.
White Mage- Princess Leia
Black Mage- Orko (HeMan’s wizard buddy)
Red Mage- Gandalf’s Red counterpart.
Thief- didn’t really have anyone, I didn’t get into fantasy thieves until I discovered D&D about five years after first playing this game. :(

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So a high level Black Belt effectively becomes Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. I regret not using them in my gameplay more now. :(

And what Invisible NPC in Corneria? You're telling me there's something in this game I never knew about? Quite a pleasant surprise!

Blitz vs space out- I can always space out my reading if I must, so Blitz like a Black Belt if you like. Just don't burn yourself out, like others have said. I'll just try to make clear what part of your LP I'm talking about in my comments. And not get too far behind.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I liked 8-bit Theater too. Favorite line- “Astos, huh? Well, now that you’re messing with us, your rear end is toast.”

The Elf Forest was my first big grinding section of this game. Lots of stuff to buy, not much gold to spend. Guides I read at the time recommended I go Ogre hunting. In retrospect, Kyzoku might have been easier.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
According to Wikipedia, that slider game is the first instance of a mini game in an RPG despite not being referenced in the main game and not even accessible except through the secret developer button code.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The Marsh Cave- the first dungeon I actually cursed repeatedly. So many memories in this game. :)

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
They say it’s impossible to beat the game with a party of 4 white mages. Then someone did. Then another person and so forth. Never tried solo runs myself but I can see the appeal.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

I have a vague memory of there being some kind of experience scaling where enemies give out lower XP rewards at higher character levels, putting a practical cap on how high level a character can get in the early game. Is it possible that's what we're talking about?

Definitely possible. I remember that too. I fought 4 Imps at Level 30 to enjoy curbstomping back in the days I first played this game, got 1 xp for the win, and was like “I remember these being worth more”.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Bregor posted:

I remember hating the Marsh Cave so much on the original NES. I was a dumb kid and had to get the Crown and every treasure in one shot. Either I'd blow everything on the Wizards and get killed limping around for the rest of the loot, or save the Crown for last and lose a party member or three on the Wizards. My answer was to grind Ogres outside of ElfLand. :v:

Also, I love the incredibly telegraphed heel-turn from Astos. HA, HA, HA! Villains that are unapologetic and theatrical are my favorite. To a point, anyway. The Exdeath-Kuja line, if you will.

I had to get through Marsh Cave in one shot if possible too. Because I wanted to get it done, not because I was dumb. Didn’t always work out in practice.

Rub may have been a reference to the mob slang “rub out” meaning murder but yeah, probably just a translation error that slipped through but didn’t quite become a classic like ”I, Garland, will knock you all down!”

One note about the Silver Hammer- it will sadly be Dirk’s only available weapon for a long time. :( They made Hammers the only weapon White Mages can use and then only put 4 types in the game. Black Belts have it worse with their only weapon type as Nunchucks and only 2 types, but at least they’re supposed to go back to bare hands at a certain level (not that the game tells you this explicitly anywhere- I had to find it out on the early internet myself).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Judging by the picture, the monster Wizard is supposed to be a D&D style Mind Flayer. This monster was originally conceived by HP Lovecraft and his contemporaries. The updated remakes of FF1 call Wizards "Piscodaemons." They also call Imps "Goblins", and I don't think they significantly change any other names of monsters we've seen so far.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I was given my information by the Final Fantasy Wiki, which said Gygax couldn’t claim copyright for Mind Flayers because Lovecraft and Brian Lumley crested the monsters. There were at least two other monsters the game took from D&D whose appearance had to be changed significantly to avoid copyright issues. We have not seen either one yet, so I’ll say no more about them right now. If my information is incorrect, I apologize.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Araxxor posted:

Pretty much the big problem with lack of redirection in this game is that the player doesn't have enough info in-game to really plan for it. There's absolutely no indication on how much HP an enemy has left, not even a health bar or whatever, so it'd be coming down to memorizing that info. And as said, turn order is random in this game and there's no indication on the order.

Well, I for one, got a first copy of the game that included a big map printout- around it and on the back were all the various monsters with pictures, stats, and HP totals. Did anyone else get that? Now I was a child at the time, and not always did I memorize, but with basic 4th grade math I was able to subtract damage from HP totals much of the time. Thus I could adjust some attacks to different enemies accordingly. But yeah, I was still glad for group affecting spells when I got them. Not having redirects was a mess.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Another thing Final Fantasy taught me- how to manage large scale battles. Everybody in the party must get a target- Fighter on that Ogre, Thief on the Creep, mage spell on the other Ogre, etc. Even if we need to dogpile on a Dragon to make it die first, we are still watching that sneaking Imp behind him (not that the latter encounter ever occurs in game, but you get the idea).

Later Final Fantasies required more tactics. I think the next one in the series I played was FF4. Remember the Giant CPU battle in that one. The Attacker bot hit you, the Defender bot healed the CPU. Your instinct is to kill the Attacker first, then the Defender, but no, if you kill both bots the CPU hits you hard and then revives them. So you need to get Defender and then CPU, leave Attacker alone. That battle taught me about priorities.