Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Great to hear you’ve been getting some use out of it. It’s been a fun thread to follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

You did a great job. We look forward to the update whenever it comes.

What he said.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

Hello again friends.

A lot has happened since I last updated this thread. I came back to reread it this week while looking for a photo of how something was put together and realised that I think the thread warrants one final van/travel/life update.

There have been some really significant, positive changes in my life since I was last active in the thread. My former long term partner and I went our separate ways, I came out as queer and I got diagnosed with a whole ton of ADHD. When I was building the van I was, in hindsight, pretty far down a rut that was making me quite unhappy, and building the van was a form of optimistic escapism from that situation. I have now actually escaped it, and life is chaotic, undirected and, above all, good. Since then me and the van have had some seriously good and bad moments, so here's a big old photo dump of the high and lowlights.

September last year I drove around the north coast of Scotland for 10 days or so. I saw the northern lights

Parked in some cool places

Went to a punk festival and had park hangs with friends

My dad moved back to France from the US so we went on a train (yes that is my finger in shot)

Got lost in the fog on top of a mountain in the Pyrenees

Went offroading

Intermission for buying a cool new car

Went climbing

Went climbing again this time in Font and immediately broke down (shout out to the dodgy as gently caress back alley garage in small town France who fixed it in 24 hours)

Added my favourite piece of art (for the benefit of any folk punk fans this is a print from the actual original wood block that inspired the song)

Hung out with friends some more

Got used as a communal kitchen

Proved you really don't need a 50 grand 4x4 sprinter

Broke again on another trip to France

Drove through the worst rain I've ever seen
https://i.imgur.com/Y0ZyGTv.mp4

Took my new partner on their first hashtag vanlife trip. They think my van is cool, also they are cute as heck :unsmith:

Broke again. In France, again. This was yesterday during a 10 hour drive between Capbreton and Calais on my way home from a trip. Of course it was raining (Sound required - wiper motors aren't meant to make this noise)
https://i.imgur.com/l4KuNfL.mp4

There were times during this build that I was struggling more than I was able to admit to myself or anyone else. There were days that I would go out to the van and just kind of sit there not doing anything but wishing for a different life. The encouragement, advice and criticisms given in this thread all helped me to get out and work on the van, have a positive outlet during a not very positive time of my life, and in turn to be where I am now. I appreciate and value all of you, and if anyone reading this is having a hard time please remember that you are important, your thoughts and emotions are valid, and that one day you will be in a better place.

Cheers folks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Right on! Glad the van and you are doing well, and the van helped you find a place.
Sounds like maybe you should avoid France, though. They keep breaking your van. :P

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Fuckyea what a hell of a story.

Sometimes the journey is the best vehicle. Take every opportunity to get lost. By any luck you'll discover something new. Sometimes that discovery is you.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm jealous. Looks like a great time and loads of fun and friends (and France).

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
gently caress yeah! Good work, well done - on your life, that is. (the van is cool too) :cool:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

bolind posted:

Recently, for no particular reason, I've fallen into the YouTube hole that is home built camper vans. There are some super cool ones, and a whole bunch of lovely #vanlife stuff, but I urge you to check it out, if nothing else to get ideas.

Key takeaways:

• It'll either be miserably cold or miserably hot unless you actively (heater, A/C) do something about that.
  • Smells from waste and/or the shitter will drive you insane.
  • Having a place to stand up == bliss.
  • Some forewent the shitter and didn't really miss it.

This guy has a very cool ride: https://youtu.be/wssu8Wp9W74
So does this couple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_I9AB_BvY

One trick I saw was to put the bathroom/shower at the very rear of the van with a bulkhead/door between that and the rest of the van and a curtain between that and the rear doors.

Why? Keep odors out, allow the shower to dry.

The other trick is some clever toilets have low power 12v exhaust fans that run all the time.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

I solved the problem by, to date, not making GBS threads in my van ever.

Also thanks for the kind words everyone. Imagine any other car forum being as supportive and nice as AI.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Great build - I really enjoyed it - and glad to hear everything is working out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Just binged the thread. Really nice camper, that looks like lovely trips, and I’m glad that you managed to get off the treadmill that made you unhappy! :neckbeard: :3: