Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Recently, for no particular reason, I've fallen into the YouTube hole that is home built camper vans. There are some super cool ones, and a whole bunch of lovely #vanlife stuff, but I urge you to check it out, if nothing else to get ideas.

Key takeaways:

• It'll either be miserably cold or miserably hot unless you actively (heater, A/C) do something about that.
  • Smells from waste and/or the shitter will drive you insane.
  • Having a place to stand up == bliss.
  • Some forewent the shitter and didn't really miss it.

This guy has a very cool ride: https://youtu.be/wssu8Wp9W74
So does this couple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_I9AB_BvY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Don’t let perfect be the enemy of great. When doing a one-off learn-as-you-go there’ll always be things like that. If it’s functional and structurally sound, send it.

(I’m saying that as a fairly anal perfectionist, so I’m struggling with the same things myself.)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
When hole-sawing through wood, I've found that the issue is often that there's nowhere for the sawdust to go.

Start the hole just enough to make the actual hole saw touch, then get a, say 12mm drill, ideally for wood, and then do a handful of relief holes around the perimeter, just inside the finished hole. This will allow sawdust to escape, and make the job a whole lot more pleasant.