Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

algebra testes posted:

You can bet your blankity blank bleep I will.

Edit: aahhh former Minessota Governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura!!!

One of the best episodes of any show ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I missed season 11, but I realised I'm going to have to get it just to complete my Darin Morgan episodes collection.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Payndz posted:

I missed season 11, but I realised I'm going to have to get it just to complete my Darin Morgan episodes collection.

His episode is extremely good. He's like some mad genius who can only create exquisite art within the context of a weekly sci-fi procedural. From Clyde Bruckman on, his writing transcends the qualifier "best episodes of the x-files" and moves into the category of "an extremely good narrative."

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Payndz posted:

I definitely think this should have been the season finale (especially since the show's dead again and it would have been the SERIES finale), the first time I watched it I was blown away and ready to call it the best episode of the X-Files ever.

It's still a top 5 for sure, and it possibly has the best ending of any X-Files episode.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
X-Files in the news:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-19/x-files-and-scully-effect-real-world-phenomenon-women-in-stem/12562440

Basically, treating Scully like an actual character made her an inspiration for girls to enter the sciences.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Strong Convections posted:

X-Files in the news:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-19/x-files-and-scully-effect-real-world-phenomenon-women-in-stem/12562440

Basically, treating Scully like an actual character made her an inspiration for girls to enter the sciences.

Oh boy, they chose a great cover photo for Scully...

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

His episode is extremely good. He's like some mad genius who can only create exquisite art within the context of a weekly sci-fi procedural. From Clyde Bruckman on, his writing transcends the qualifier "best episodes of the x-files" and moves into the category of "an extremely good narrative."

"Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" may be one of the finest hours of television ever created, clowning on Millennium's core conceit even better than "From Outer Space" did with X-Files, while also working in a Scientology pastiche and dual murder mysteries and multi-level jokes rivalling peak Simpsons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Were Mulder+scully ever a thing? I never watched the later seasons but the fact that they stayed just friends + respected colleagues was shocking given the time and is still shamefully rare even today. I don't count one, two time things.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Payndz posted:

I'm now sorely tempted to get hold of the complete series Blu-Ray set. How does it compare visually to the DVDs?

Unless this has changed, to my knowledge, you actually get less of the original image with the Blu-Rays, at least for the first four seasons. Rather than just keeping it in the 4:3 aspect ratio (as ST:TNG did with their remaster), X-Files (and a lot of other shows, too, tbf) just had the top and bottom of the chopped off so the middle will fit in widescreen. From season five on, they were shooting with the expectation of moving to HD at some point, but in the early years they didn't even know if they would be getting more seasons, let alone upgraded presentation. Three and four apparently kind of a mixed bag, as they had wider footage to work from, but it wasn't meant for viewing and you apparently catch a lot of "intended to be just offscreen" stuff.

People seem to be okay with the actual picture quality, but as someone who seriously considered going into cinematography specifically because of X-Files, I'll be guarding the hell out of my DVD sets.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Were Mulder+scully ever a thing? I never watched the later seasons but the fact that they stayed just friends + respected colleagues was shocking given the time and is still shamefully rare even today. I don't count one, two time things.

Lol, yeah. Appealing and teasing shippers became Chris Carter's go to move in later seasons when he ran out of ideas.

Not going to spoiler tag a 20 year old TV show, but people who don't want to know should stop now

In season 7, all things starts with Scully getting up and getting dressed as the camera pans over to a nude sleeping Mulder in bed. By the end of it, Scully is pregnant and it is implied that it is Mulder's baby.

Season 8 includes both a retcon of how Scully got pregnant (turns out her and Mulder had been trying for a long time), and the plot verges on the nonsensical: the aliens are trying to either kill and/or save their baby, because there is a prophecy that if the baby lives and Mulder lives he will lead the fight against the aliens, but if the baby lives and Mulder dies, the baby will lead the colonization efforts. Season ends with Mulder and Scully kissing as she holds the baby. One of the first episodes after Mulder came back was called "three little words" that every shipper freaked out about, but turns out the three words were "fight the future."

Season 9 Duchovny is out, but they still used their romance in episodes. There is an episode where Scully misses Mulder so much she tells him to get on a train to go see her, even though she knows that is a trap. The entire episode is "did Mulder get on the train or not." And then the series finale they hook up and go on the run.

2nd movie they start out together, split up, and then get back together.

The new seasons were a total mess, so I don't even remember if they hook up again or not.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Lol, yeah. Appealing and teasing shippers became Chris Carter's go to move in later seasons when he ran out of ideas.

Not going to spoiler tag a 20 year old TV show, but people who don't want to know should stop now

In season 7, all things starts with Scully getting up and getting dressed as the camera pans over to a nude sleeping Mulder in bed. By the end of it, Scully is pregnant and it is implied that it is Mulder's baby.

Season 8 includes both a retcon of how Scully got pregnant (turns out her and Mulder had been trying for a long time), and the plot verges on the nonsensical: the aliens are trying to either kill and/or save their baby, because there is a prophecy that if the baby lives and Mulder lives he will lead the fight against the aliens, but if the baby lives and Mulder dies, the baby will lead the colonization efforts. Season ends with Mulder and Scully kissing as she holds the baby. One of the first episodes after Mulder came back was called "three little words" that every shipper freaked out about, but turns out the three words were "fight the future."

Season 9 Duchovny is out, but they still used their romance in episodes. There is an episode where Scully misses Mulder so much she tells him to get on a train to go see her, even though she knows that is a trap. The entire episode is "did Mulder get on the train or not." And then the series finale they hook up and go on the run.

2nd movie they start out together, split up, and then get back together.

The new seasons were a total mess, so I don't even remember if they hook up again or not.

Also their son turned out to be a dirtbag pick-up artist who uses his world-imperiling psychic powers to date two women at the same time and steal gas. Also he dies saving Mulder and Scully and the last line of the series is that he wasn’t really their son anyway because cigarette-smoking man messed with him somehow as a baby, so they don’t have to be sad.

Sometimes I wonder about the other psychic child who was supposed to save the world in like season 5-6, who used his powers to cheat at chess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man that's disappointing. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they did once, twice or even if it was an occasional thing. But trying for a baby give me a break

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.
Mulder and Scully are broken up again in the reboot seasons. Scully says it's her fault and seems to regret it, while being resigned to it.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also their son turned out to be a dirtbag pick-up artist who uses his world-imperiling psychic powers to date two women at the same time and steal gas. Also he dies saving Mulder and Scully and the last line of the series is that he wasn’t really their son anyway because cigarette-smoking man messed with him somehow as a baby, so they don’t have to be sad.
But he actually survived because of alien powers (unless I am confabulating a recovered memory), and Scully is pregnant again because reasons. Anderson hated how the show ended and made no secret of that.

quote:

Sometimes I wonder about the other psychic child who was supposed to save the world in like season 5-6, who used his powers to cheat at chess.
Last time we saw him he was living with his alien girlfriend in a desert somewhere. Every teenage boy's dream.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Man that's disappointing. Again, I wouldn't be surprised if they did once, twice or even if it was an occasional thing. But trying for a baby give me a break

They broke up and got together more than Ross and Rachel. Which is remarkable when you think they only got together in season 7.

There was an interview at the time of the 2nd movie where Spotnitz talked about how they actually rewrote that movie to make it more ambiguous as to whether or not they were together at the start of the movie. And so there is this scene about 1/3 of the way in where Scully is laying in bed saying something, and it is shot at the same height as her face, and then Mulder gets up from behind her, making it clear that they were in bed together. And Spotnitz talked about it as if it was a great scene that the fans loved. Then they break up during the movie, but the after credits sequence is them on a boat in the Caribbean or something.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

joepinetree posted:

By the end of it, Scully is pregnant and it is implied that it is Mulder's baby.

Season 8 includes both a retcon of how Scully got pregnant (turns out her and Mulder had been trying for a long time), and the plot verges on the nonsensical: the aliens are trying to either kill and/or save their baby, because there is a prophecy that if the baby lives and Mulder lives he will lead the fight against the aliens, but if the baby lives and Mulder dies, the baby will lead the colonization efforts.
Oh good, I was so confused back when it was on TV, I thought I was making stuff up. But it was just a nonsensical mess.

joepinetree posted:

Believe me when I say the shippers didn't get what they wanted either. I was a teen when the X files was airing - did we squeal with delight at lingering looks, or comments that could be misconstrued? Absolutely. Did we want miracle babies and Scully mooning over Mulder? Nooooope.
It's great fun to read someone's badly written romance fanfic based off a couple of hints, but nobody really wants them to have a relationship as a major part of the show.

We're here for an investigative show about aliens with a side of making fun of Mulders' weird kinks - if the protagonists do get together it really needs to be the end of their story unless it's way in the background.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Oh, god, I forgot the other kick in the balls for shippers: there's also a season 9 episode where you have "deformed Mulder is back, look at his DNA test, oh no it is actually Spender" episode.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Strong Convections posted:

X-Files in the news:

Cool that she went from a science icon to the writers making her moan about getting old

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What "scientific sleight of hand" is Scully referring to at the start of Gethsemane? I haven't finished the episode so lol if that's what she's referring to.

e: BTW I saw something in season 4 (I think) that I want to know where it came from. Scully's looking on a screen at potential suspects (maybe a database of government employees?) and stops on I think the third person who is indeed her man. I just really want to know which episode it came from

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 24, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This thread inspired me to re watch the series and I'm watching fallen angel.
Mulder asks max how he recognized him, and Max says from an article on omni. To which Mulder replies "but i published that under a pseudonym."

Which is great, because it means that Mulder publishes under a pseudonym but uses his actual picture.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 28, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uh oh.

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1299429111501328384?s=20

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsAykauFEg8

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31g0YE61PLQ

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sounds just awful.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
"centers on an office of misfit agents who investigate cases too wacky, ridiculous or dopey for Scully and Mulder."

Wasn't the idea that they were working on wacky, dopey, and ridiculous cases? Like, they were actively made fun of in the early seasons for it. Mulder had his little office in his mum's the FBI's basement where he could be hidden away from people working real jobs.
But they take them seriously (Scully less so initially), and try to get to the truth of them.

I mean, sounds fine as a kid's cartoon - if a bit Scooby-doo-esque

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
So.....the Lone Gunmen?

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Eek the Cat! That's a throwback. I probably haven't thought about that show in a decade or two.

But how is the video quality of that link so tremendously bad? Do you have to go out of your way to make video look like that?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

God I hope that was the eek the cat episode that was playing during Eve.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Lazarus is such a weird episode. Take out the vanishing tattoo and it could be read as a completely straightforward story about an obsessed FBI agent disassociating after a traumatic injury.

It's also the only episode I've seen where Mulder is seen just doing normal FBI work and competently coordinating an agent task force instead of yelling at his coworkers that ghosts are real.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Some things age well, like "The Buffalo Bills will not win a super bowl while I am around."

Not so is pinning King's death on a white supremacist because "people think the south is still fighting the civil war" is painfully wrong.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bill scully loving sucks

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Milo and POTUS posted:

Bill scully loving sucks

Agreed. Complete idiot and a huge dick to Scully for daring to have a career. I remember when she's in the hospital for cancer and he's basically just waiting for her to die, even as a kid I hated this dude.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bill is an rear end in a top hat but one thing I forgot about until I rewatched those episodes recently is that he is already primed to hate Mulder because of Melissa Scully's death. He blames Mulder for it so of course then when Mulder says he's got some miracle cancer cure he isn't exactly open minded about it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The old man from Walk Hard: Wrong scully died

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I randomly decided to watch the second movie last night. All I could remember was that it started with Billy Connolly as a psychic paedophile priest, and ended with Russian head-swap operations. Having seen it again... that's still pretty much all I can remember! It really felt like two different episodes jammed together. The connective tissue between the two plots was so thin that if you were briefly distracted in one scene, you'd miss the explanation. (Maybe that's what happened to me first time around.)

There were some nicely-shot scenes at the beginning (the agents on the ice and the night-time scenes in the snow), but hoo boy, Chris Carter's got a digital colour grader and he's gonna use it.

Also, Mulder's been on the run for years, hunted by the FBI - and the whole time he was apparently just chilling at Scully's house? That's some diligent investigation there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember when they were filming the second movie, they released a lot of fake "leaks" and blurry "set photos" to throw bloggers off the scent, and all the fakes made it seem like the movie was going to be about a werewolf or wendigo or something like that, and I still wish it actually had been that instead.

I just remember the second movie feeling like the villain was tailor-made to incorporate every right-wing bogeyman of 2008. From what I recall, he was a Russian stem-cell researcher who illegally immigrated so he could get a gay marriage in Massachusetts. I think that was the first time when I actively thought, maybe Chris Carter is a bit more right-wing than I thought....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Carter is definitely a nut and the episodes he wrote for the revival seasons proved that beyond any doubt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when they were filming the second movie, they released a lot of fake "leaks" and blurry "set photos" to throw bloggers off the scent, and all the fakes made it seem like the movie was going to be about a werewolf or wendigo or something like that, and I still wish it actually had been that instead.

I just remember the second movie feeling like the villain was tailor-made to incorporate every right-wing bogeyman of 2008. From what I recall, he was a Russian stem-cell researcher who illegally immigrated so he could get a gay marriage in Massachusetts. I think that was the first time when I actively thought, maybe Chris Carter is a bit more right-wing than I thought....

He was definitely an old hippie who fried his brain in the 70s, and there's definitely a pipeline from the kind of hatred of the government that old hippies have to the kind of hatred of the government that reactionaries have, sometimes activated by pressing on the latent racism of most white boomers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Finally started watching season 11 with my wife. The one previous episode neither of us have ever seen was the last from season 10. Hooooly crap, was 'My Struggle 3' confusing as a result. "Who's he? Who's she? Is that whatsername? Wait, when did they... What, so are they now..." :psyduck:

Probably didn't help that I haven't watched any post-season 7 episode since the original broadcast, and my wife didn't even remember there was a period when Mulder wasn't in the show and was replaced by Doggett and Reyes.

Edit: it was also disconcerting as hell to see footage of Donald loving Trump in an episode of The X Files.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 8, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did Doggett even show up for the revival

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did Doggett even show up for the revival

If he did he would have improved it, is my understanding.

Didnt Reyes though?