Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
The absence of "Bad Blood" in the Rashomon list is an appalling miscarriage of justice.

In general, I think that if Darin Morgan either wrote or appears in an episode, you can count on it being top-tier TV. Folks who haven't seen the episodes of Millennium he wrote are especially missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

piratepilates posted:

your recollection seems to be faulty, from my recollection of the list, bad blood is in there :thunk:.

Extremely good. In this context, you would also get full marks for "Don't say I never did nothin' for ya."

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never seen any of Millennium. Don't really know anything about it.

What if X-Files, but Lance Henrikson investigates murderers and cults, with slightly more plotted-out conspiracy elements and a lot more openly supernatural business toward the end of the show. I like Henrikson being an unemotive weirdo in most things, and he's good in this show, but the lack of a real co-star Scully figure to share the spotlight means that's kinda all you get. Millennium is even more my thing than The X-Files, but it's still hard to muster up enthusiasm for it.

Fortunately, you can watch "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" and "Somehow, the Devil Got Behind Me" without seeing any of the rest of the series and still appreciate them in full. "Doomsday Defense" is even better than "From Outer Space," believe it or not.

How far have you gotten through season 3 at the moment?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Krycek is definitely an rear end in a top hat.

Skinner does get some appreciation in later seasons as a character. I recall them backing off his Evil Boss persona fairly quick in the course of the series, but yeah, "Avatar" and the other Skinner-focused episodes show that he's a major player.

Also, you get to watch Mitch Pileggi's quick change act from gormless paper-pusher to impossible weightlifter badass.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I'm still not sure why it's so hard to find people to talk about The X-Files. I used to post on a scifi forum and they got me to watch Stargate SG-1. It was...okay but nothing special. I have no desire to ever see it again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. So why were people still talking about it ten years ago? And i think there's an active thread for it here, too.

This in contrast to The X-Files which is not only a great show but possibly the most influential scifi show of the last 30 years. It certainly has to be up there. But nobody talks about it. Babylon 5, Stargate, Farscape, they talk about these but not a show so much bigger than any of them.

And no disrespect to B5. I need to watch that myself someday.

I think it's a two-part problem between exposure and how the show ended.

X-Files was real big back in the day, and absurdly huge by today's standards of ratings. It's absolutely the progenitor of modern sci-fi television, and it was one of the first serial-ish prestige shows of the modern era. That also means you don't have the same evangelist fanbase you do for your Fireflys and Stargates.

Unlike a lot of sci-fi media, X-files didn't have to fight against cancellation in anywhere near the same ways. There's no sense of what might have been - we saw exactly what was coming, and it was bad and lasted way longer than it should have. There's less wistful mystique and more looking at your watch and wondering when you'll finally be free of this whole thing.