Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

They smelled of pubs, and Wormwood Scrubs, and too many right-wing meetings.

So I twatted them with a magic yo-yo. Because, hell, why not?

Totally expected to see Dickbutt there.

'Our Town' (I think season 2?) is one of those episodes that nobody ever remembers and which doesn't trouble any of the usual 'best of' lists, but I loving love it. Mulder offers up the usual paranormal explanations, but nope, it's cannibal cultists with CJD, led by a demented Colonel Sanders.

To me, the show finally went from appointment viewing to "okay, they're scraping the barrel now" with the super-soldiers arc. Things were already teetering, but that knocked it over the cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

After The War posted:

The problem with starting every rewatch from the beginning is you see the early episodes the most often (I can recite most of the pilot from memory), but it's been so long since the last attempt I felt obligated to.
The early seasons, I can see an episode's title and instantly go "Oh, that's the one with [WHATEVER]", even after all these years. Later on, I have no idea what an episode might be about based only on the title, with a few exceptions. Like I remember 'The Field Where I Died' as "the past-life one so astonishingly boring I have no desire ever to watch it again", or 'Arcadia' as "plastic flamingoes!"

My wife and I started a rewatch a long while back, and got to somewhere around season 3. Then we had a child, and welp, hours of free time of an evening became no longer a thing...

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Had a real hankering to watch some X Files for some reason, so pulled out my DVDs to watch Nisei/731. Accidentally picked up season 2 by mistake, so watched Colony/End Game instead. Didn't regret the mistake - it's still such a great story. Clones, shapeshifters, squishy embryos, shoe-dissolving green slime, defenestration, Skinner and X beating the crap out of each other, Mulder family drama... Even if Mulder and Scully's phone tag is ridiculously contrived, it ramps things up from "oh, now they're taking the piss" to "holy poo poo!" with the cliffhanger.

And that conning tower set is still incredible. All the more amazing when the drat thing starts to move!

I'm now sorely tempted to get hold of the complete series Blu-Ray set. How does it compare visually to the DVDs?

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

I missed season 11, but I realised I'm going to have to get it just to complete my Darin Morgan episodes collection.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

I randomly decided to watch the second movie last night. All I could remember was that it started with Billy Connolly as a psychic paedophile priest, and ended with Russian head-swap operations. Having seen it again... that's still pretty much all I can remember! It really felt like two different episodes jammed together. The connective tissue between the two plots was so thin that if you were briefly distracted in one scene, you'd miss the explanation. (Maybe that's what happened to me first time around.)

There were some nicely-shot scenes at the beginning (the agents on the ice and the night-time scenes in the snow), but hoo boy, Chris Carter's got a digital colour grader and he's gonna use it.

Also, Mulder's been on the run for years, hunted by the FBI - and the whole time he was apparently just chilling at Scully's house? That's some diligent investigation there.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Finally started watching season 11 with my wife. The one previous episode neither of us have ever seen was the last from season 10. Hooooly crap, was 'My Struggle 3' confusing as a result. "Who's he? Who's she? Is that whatsername? Wait, when did they... What, so are they now..."

Probably didn't help that I haven't watched any post-season 7 episode since the original broadcast, and my wife didn't even remember there was a period when Mulder wasn't in the show and was replaced by Doggett and Reyes.

Edit: it was also disconcerting as hell to see footage of Donald loving Trump in an episode of The X Files.

Payndz fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 8, 2020

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Reyes was in the season 11 opener, but it'd been such a long time since I saw her I wasn't sure if it was her until Skinner called her "Monica". And now she's working for CSM? WTF?

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Nearing the end of season 11, so a question about the end of season 10: since 'My Struggle II' (the only previous episode I haven't seen) was effectively retconned into a dream/vision by 'My Struggle III', is there anything about it that makes it worth watching?

Also, I loved the very left-field, almost experimental episode with the pissed-off AI hassling Mulder and Scully for a tip, while my wife hated it.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Season 11 watch: reached 'Familiar'.

My wife: "Nobody would ever let their kid watch a TV show that had something as creepy-looking as Mr Chuckleteeth."
Me: shows her a GIS of Mr Noseybonk (look him up. Or, er, don't), from popular 1980s BBC kids' show Jigsaw.
My wife:

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

piratepilates posted:

the gently caress?

ok I just looked him up and what the gently caress.

why did they do this??
Sisko's quote in your avatar seems somehow appropriate.

Edit: I have a son the same age as Andrew from this episode, and holy loving poo poo was the opening utterly horrifying. Even without the terrifying clown character, it's every parent's worst nightmare. (Yet it also shows the changes in what's acceptable viewing over 20+ years. 'The Calusari', in which a small child was killed off-screen, earned the entire season boxset an 18-rating in the UK. This actually shows a child's corpse - two children, in fact! - and is rated 15.)

Payndz fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 25, 2020

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Finally reached 'My Struggle IV'. After being primed to expect that it was the worst thing ever and would retroactively poison my view of the entire show before it, I... didn't hate it? It just felt surprisingly inconsequential. Doing a small-scale finale is one thing if it's personal for the main characters, but despite everything that happened for/to Mulder and Scully, it didn't come across as the culmination of their story.

The flashback/forward/back structure was just complication for complication's sake, and way too much time was spent on people running back and forth (and up and down and round and round). C'mon, it's the end - don't blatantly pad it out!

Still, at least it was as happy an ending for Mulder and Scully as we were ever likely to get. They're alive, together, the world's been saved, they don't have to take any more poo poo from Kersch, and CSM is finally dead. For, er, the third? Fourth time? Also miracle baby outta nowhere to replace William.

Sucked for Skinner, though.

Anyway, godspeed, X-Files.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Fresh Bones mention
'Fresh Bones' is one of those episodes that's generally considered middling at best (according to the numerous 'every X Files episode RANKED!' lists), but I genuinely love. That and 'Our Town' from the same season. I don't even know why - maybe the common factor of "Mulder and Scully rock up somewhere insular to investigate a crime and get in massively over their heads" strikes a horror chord somehow.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I finally made it through S2 and those last few one-offs are a slog. I did kinda like the absurdity of Mulder holding down a child to seemingly help a group of Romanians knife him on the chance the child is a demon in The Calusari but the chicken feed one, the carnival community and Tony Shalhoub's evil shadow just make almost no impression. F. Emasculata was also mostly just okay though now that we're living through a pandemic everyone getting owned by the virus because they didn't bother wearing a mask around obviously extremely sick people is darkly funny, at least.
My wife walked out on our watch of 'F. Emasculata' because the idea of Scully, a medical doctor, poking around in oozing, pustule-covered corpses that have died from some highly contageous cause with practically no precautions or PPE actually made her angry.

I love 'Our Town', though. There's something appealingly demented about the idea of "evil Colonel Sanders with a cabinet full of shrunken heads leads a town of cultists who've halted the ageing process by eating peoples' brains in human sacrifice rituals (only to develop CJD)".

And how anyone can dismiss 'Humbug' as a nothingburger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

There was a gag in one episode on the lines of:

Scully: Why do you always have to drive?
Mulder: I didn't think your tiny legs could reach the pedals.