Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well I'll just jot down an additional thought that I feel is particularly relevant to an intensely Left Wing forum like this one.

I've seen some people say The X-Files is, in a bizarre roundabout way, Conservative. I can see elements of this if you tilt your head enough but I just got done watching episodes about how the military is poo poo and prisoners are beaten to death by corrupt prison guards. There was also the episode last season about how Haitian refugees were being abused by the US military.

So the show is harshly critical of authority, especially the type of authority that is usually beloved by conservatives like the military, prison wardens, etc..

I think the political leanings of the X-Files have to be looked at when it was made. It's pretty left-leaning, made by people who were kids in the Watergate era.
That being said, a pair of crusading government-conspiracy-hunting heroes now...it just has a different flavor. In the rebooted seasons, one of the Darin Morgan episodes
has a character commenting that chasing conspiracies ain't what it used to be. It's still one of my favorite shows though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
A lot of the mytharc truly rules but it's really easy to judge it now, in an era where show can be super-serialized or get to decide to have limited runs.
One of the biggest problems the X-Files have, it's that the show is at it's most exciting when the characters are *glimpsing* the greater part of a whole.

When it came down to the alien conspiracy stuff, when they did solve it (or tried to solve most of it in season 6) it just ran contrary to the show's strengths.
Having someone in a room tell Mulder "the aliens are this, the conspiracy does that and the invasion will work this way" just deflates how the show works.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

joepinetree posted:

The incongruity between mytharc and motw is explained in large part because the writers for each were different. Early on, other writers like Morgan and Wong would contribute episodes to the mytharc, but after season 6 or so it becomes exclusively a chris carter thing.
Meanwhile some writers focused only on MOTW episodes. These writers include Vince Gilligan, Darin Morgan, Howard Gordon, John Shiban, etc.

It's also because, (for great reasons) Chris Carter and co recognized the elasticity of the X-Files concept and ran with it. The X-FIles world has both aliens and ghosts in it. Most shows now
would pick a lane between those two. But because the playing field of the X-Files was so wide, it's storytelling could be as well.

Back in the day, I would say it was more frustrating to have Scully mostly hit a "skepticism reset button" every episode, especially since her skepticism could've evolved into rigorous fact-checking.

EDIT: Has anyone checked out EVIL on CBS? I've seen the first three episodes and it feels like a pretty well-thought-out X-Files progeny, but with it's own flavor and modern way of being told.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

This reminds me, I'm positive there was an episode with an alien... ghost! I'm scared to go back and look it up/rewatch it because it might be awful, but I'm just so tickled pink by the concept of some writer going,"gently caress it I'm doing both!"

My vague recollection is that it was an astronaut who was possessed (or at least believed he was) by the ghost of an alien he picked up while in space or something.

it was called Space and it was in season 1! The ghost was linked...to the face on Mars?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Mulder must be infuriating to work with. Like, you work for the FBI, you can't tell the Baltimore police dept that a ghost did murder someone--it means you have to PROVE THE GHOST
EXISTS AND FIND A WAY TO BRING IT TO JUSTICE. HOW????

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The erlenmeyer flask was a pretty decent episode especially for a mytharc. The second season premier, little green men was kind of a dud I felt, although Skinner telling CSM to gently caress off was fun. Watching the Host now, a thread favorite I think?

The mytharc episodes are good to great until the season 4 finale where it starts to wobble. Until then, they're solid thrillers with great character drama for the leads.

The season 6 2-parter that attempts to tie it all together is pretty clumsy, often dumb but also thrilling if you were into it back in the day. It's the biggest lesson/warning
in mythology building/payoff for all of genre tv.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

it's frankly shocking how well Doggett worked in the show

Doggett and Reyes were not bad characters, it's just that the show was out of breath at that point.
If the mytharc had been properly closed and if they had been able to transition the show into more of a team investigation
type of show (like they exist right now) X-Files could've gone on for longer.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

After The War posted:

Carter was a showrunner in the Roddenberry sense, acting as a face for the series and getting credit for the work of a talented and highly creative team. But the thing about a talented team is that they only want to play second fiddle for so long before going off to do their own things. X-Files was such a goddamn Ship of Theseus on both sides of the camera it became less and less like itself the longer it went on, but didn't have a cohesive vision of what it wanted to be, except "more X-Files."

Seasons 1 to 3 , despite a few duds, are perfect TV but they stretched the show in so many directions so early and so well, it became really hard to renew it in later seasons--they had to go even with even wilder episodes to refresh it (something Vince Gilligan did very well in stuff like Bad Blood or X-Cops).

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

MrMojok posted:

I’ve watched seasons 1-9 I don’t even know how many times, and I was very aware of how far up its own rear end the Mytharc became after a point. It’s why for the past few times I just watch the MOTW episodes and skip the mytharc stuff, except for a few very favorite ones.

But seeing it all summarized in one article like this really drives home how ape-poo poo crazy it all was.

It’s difficult to believe all this happened, writing-wise. What in the hell were they thinking?

Seeing it all laid out like this is like reading something written by a person suffering from severe mental illness.

https://x-files.fandom.com/wiki/Mythology

I mean, what they were truly thinking is to create a perpetuating shadowy conspiracy thriller where part of the appeal is that
you'd never truly see the whole scope of the thing, so you're always left wondering or making it up for yourself. It's incredibly hard to
payoff that kind of story, even if you know where you're going.

The mytharc really is one of the great experiments of TV fiction. Re-watching Two Fathers / One Son, the two-parter that tries to explain it all:
you really see the pitfalls of their MO: once you explain plainly what's happening, it simply doesn't seem as cool anymore.

I still have a lot of love for the earlier parts of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't he the one who decided to end Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul when they did? That seems to fly in the face of the argument he's making.

He essentially added 7 years of work with BCS and then, there was enough of a tv/movie-making industry in Albuquerque to keep those crews working.