Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My fiancée never really watched the show and I haven’t in a long time so we’ve spent all day jumping around to random episodes. I’ve basically been clicking on seasons and scrolling until I recognized an episode I love and hitting play. Plus reading through this thread. Goddamn I almost forgot how good this show is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching the Stephen King written episode Chinga. What is up with Mulder being instantly like “no, haunted dolls are bullshit from movies”? It’s one of the most common tropes he should at least reference the Warrens even though they were full of poo poo

It also really feels like a story King wrote and then crammed Mulder and Scully into. They’re barely in the episode. Carter is also credited as a writer so maybe King just sent him an old short and he slid some X-Files into it where he could.

EDIT:
Holy poo poo I’ve somehow never seen Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man or saw it when I was young enough that I don’t remember it and this episode OWNS

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 19, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just ordered a couple of the extended universe paperbacks. Any recommendations? Seems like they all might just be pretty standard tv show tie-in books but that’s good enough for me. Do any of them rise above that?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching season 1 for the first time in forever and it is crazy how differently Scully and Mulder are styled. You think of “The X-Files” and you think angular thin pale people in black and white and season 1 is like all mauve pantsuits and poofy hair. They keep Mulder a little more drab but he just looks dorky in his striped shirts and thick fabric suits. Everyone has shoulder pads.

Also forgot an alien ghost sabotaged the Challenger. Huh.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 21, 2020

Unmature
May 9, 2008

howe_sam posted:

You can also use the show to track the evolution of cell phone technology. I'm probably wrong about this, but X-files feels like the first show that really heavily leaned on the use of cell phones.

It’s definitely a huge part of the iconography of the show. People even have tattoos of their phones. Shows may have had them show up but X-Files feels like the first where it was a major factor in the show.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Should I watch Kolchak: The Night Stalker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Just watched The Night Stalker, the TV movie that served as the pilot for Kolchak, and you can definitely see the influence on The X-Files. It’s even paced pretty much the same. It’s great and on YouTube in full. Well worth watching