Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of my favorite ever episodes is Field Trip, which is from season 6. I loved the fact they kept figuring out they were hallucinating only to realize that just because they've realized they're hallucinating doesn't mean they'll stop. When the show first aired I always most looked forward to the big conspiracy episodes but I've found as the years have passed the stories I mostly remember are the standalone more Twilight Zone/Outer Limits style ones, like the flukeman episode or the two Tooms episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

My absolute favorite episode is Jose Chung's "From Outer Space", but I realize that's not really a controversial opinion. It's still amazing to me just HOW good it is. It's funny, it's touching, it pokes fun at the entire premise of the X-files but manages to do it without being cynical or edgy.

Oh holy poo poo, I forgot all about that episode. I was a huge fan of the follow-up in Millennium where they have a lot of fun at Scientology's expense:

"You'll never make that jump!"
"Not with that attitude I won't! "

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

I've never seen any of Millennium. Don't really know anything about it.

The first season was great, second season okay with some real standouts like the aforementioned Jose Chung episode or "Somehow Satan Got Behind Me". It basically went off a cliff after that in season 3, but it wraps up nicely in a X-Files crossover which has Frank ignore the changing of the millennium because he's got more important things to do.

Edit: Looking it up, it seems both the episodes I mentioned in season 2 were written by Darin Morgan, so add my praise to the pile he's been getting.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 21, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yannick_B posted:

It's also because, (for great reasons) Chris Carter and co recognized the elasticity of the X-Files concept and ran with it. The X-FIles world has both aliens and ghosts in it. Most shows now would pick a lane between those two. But because the playing field of the X-Files was so wide, it's storytelling could be as well.

This reminds me, I'm positive there was an episode with an alien... ghost! I'm scared to go back and look it up/rewatch it because it might be awful, but I'm just so tickled pink by the concept of some writer going,"gently caress it I'm doing both!"

My vague recollection is that it was an astronaut who was possessed (or at least believed he was) by the ghost of an alien he picked up while in space or something.