Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I've never really cared about vr (it's been the next big thing for 20+ years now) but the new Flight Simulator is making me want to take the plunge. I'll need a new rig obviously (pretty much everyone will) since I doubt a 1070 will cut the mustard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Valve releasing a new Half-Life episode but only on loving VR is the most savage troll of all time IMHO.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I feel like flight sim (or a racing sim or a space dog fight sim or a space racing sim where you're a dog that shoots lasers at other dogs etc) would be what gets me on board too rather than, say a sword fighting game.
However, any of those types of games I also feel like would necessitate either a racing wheel or flight controller and pedals, etc. and jesus...

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Chinatown posted:

Valve releasing a new Half-Life episode but only on loving VR is the most savage troll of all time IMHO.

:lol: at anyone who still gives a poo poo about Half-Life

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Ah fair enough; I never thought (or knew to be frank) about the camera for VR.

Was the VR on play station worth it? It seems too late in the life cycle for me to consider it now and didn't seem "good enough" at the time for me to want it at release, did I miss out?

it's great. I use it all the time.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Resident Evil 7 VR is incredible

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hell yeah.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Every new gen the first thing they do is load their old assets on the new hardware and go holy shiiiit this is fast, somehow forgetting the new gen will have higher res textures and a higher resolution all up.

I still can’t believe both ps and Xbox shipped their last consoles with loving platter drives.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I can.

I can believe that the prior generation's video game consoles shipped to the consumer containing platter hard drive disk units.
I also believe that the vast majority of those consumers were not affected by them in a negative way.

Thank you.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
think I might sell my PS4, I already have a Roku and I'm tired of closing whatever video I'm watching by accidentally hitting the trigger buttons

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh, actually, they just released a fix for that.
To resolve it you put the controller down when watching movies rather than sell the entire console because you can't figure that out.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Big Beef City posted:

To resolve it you put the controller down when watching movies rather than sell the entire console because you can't figure that out.

come bend over and be my controller stool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Big Beef City posted:

Bad news, they made the controller rest on the triggers for the third generation in a row so that does not work unfortunately

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
When will these things have universal keyboard and mouse support and finally kill PC gaming for good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do you really think a console gamer can handle thinking about more than like 6 buttons at one time? Have you not seen the uproar about how the new PS5 controller's face button shapes are black and white instead of in color

Giving a console gamer like a hundred keyboard keys AND a mouse would just cause immediate brain death. Hate to see it really

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
the only thing really holding me back from selling the piss4 is that the Roku's media player sucks absolutely all of the poo poo

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CJacobs posted:

Bad news, they made the controller rest on the triggers for the third generation in a row so that does not work unfortunately

unplug the USB cable, it will go to sleep after 10 minutes and then only the home button does anything

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ps5? more like nvidia geforce rtx 2080 ti founders edition

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LabyaMynora posted:

Google Stadia died.

They're still trying to keep it going. It's the zombaby of video gaming.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Big Beef City posted:

:nice:

super sweet best pal posted:

They're still trying to keep it going. It's the zombaby of video gaming.

It had a failed launch and it's google. It's dead already, google just hasn't announced it yet.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
i just want a decent dlna media player. one with basic features like rewinding/fast forwarding and sorting album tracks by track number instead of alphabetically. is that too much to ask

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

the ps5 will have that and more buy one of those it's gonna own

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

guitartorch posted:

You hate to see it!

I'm curious, how does it work? You wait to see what you're locked into now?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sony having the undisputed lead in the console wars from the PS2 only to poo poo all over themselves with the PS3 was really funny

almost as funny as when Microsoft returned the favor with the 360/one

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

Sony having the undisputed lead in the console wars from the PS2 only to poo poo all over themselves with the PS3 was really funny

It's almost like they're trying to keep up with computer advances

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Lmbo why would anyone pay money for a next gen console

none of them will even be able to run star citizen

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Lmbo why would anyone pay money for a next gen console

none of them will even be able to run star citizen

That's kind of a selling point when you think about it...

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

they both tried so hard n got so far
but in the end
it
never really mattered

RIP tha gr8st consol generations much luv

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

RumbleFish posted:

I feel like this is pretty much the worst possible environment to launch a new $600 or whatever console, who the hell is gonna want to spend that money or generally be able to afford that when the economy is in ruins? Especially when the PS4 is perfectly fine and has a shitload of games? I know it's gonna be a holiday release, I just wouldn't feel bullish on dropping an overpriced luxury item at any point for the rest of 2020.

well when they were designing these things everything was hunky-dory, so they were like "sure let's change the storage from a $20 hard drive to $150 of SSD, people can afford it"

right now they are absolutely racing to design some sort of hybrid thing that's $100 cheaper but can still cope with 100gb install games that require fast storage

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
5 of anything is too many

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

xbox controllers are so big lol

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Away all Goats posted:

The funnier thing is that PS3 sales still eventually overtook Xbox 360 sales

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's all about the exclusives, I am super ready for the next chapters of Horizon and God of War on PS5

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Playstation absolutely killed it this gen with the exclusives.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

I just built a games computer for the price of a ps5 with better hardware hth :smugdog:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The Consumer Electronics Carer

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Man, I'm just so tired of all these play stations

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Lil Peeler posted:

Man, I'm just so tired of all these play stations

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

rap music posted:

I just built a games computer for the price of a ps5 with better hardware hth :smugdog:

I did something socially acceptable instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Anything more than an NES controller is too complicated