Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis

pecan posted:

welcome 2 the dark path to nonfiction eclipsing all the fiction u had planned for the rest of the year, friend :evilbuddy:

I was reading histories of China (up to early Song) and was sidetracked onto Japan's Heian Era. Any day now, I'll get back to T'ang. Annny day now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo

beer pal posted:

the master and margarita is a lot of fun. whatever satire is in there goes over my head but thats fine. also started listening to auidio book version of the jakarta method

READ GORKI

(nothing to do with Bulgakov, I just want people to read Gorki.)

beer pal

not really into anime

jk whats the one to read?

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

beer pal posted:

the master and margarita is a lot of fun. whatever satire is in there goes over my head but thats fine. also started listening to auidio book version of the jakarta method

Master and Margarita is solid gold. Easily Bulgakov's best. The whole sequence with the olive oil in the early bit of the book is still so eerie

hey mom its 420

lmao ljubljana wtf you doin in my city get to da choppa

anyway i'm reading titus groan by mervyn peake it's really cool fantasy from the 50s .. very nice

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

3D Megadoodoo

Plutarkhos' biographies of famous men are really boring. I'm glad he's dead!

hey mom its 420

here's my review of marcus aurelius - meditations: it's good but it should have been 20 pages long instead of 160

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I just finished Calvino's Le città invisibili and I don't know that I liked it as much as I should have :-/ This is the first time I've had this happen with Calvino; I guess I'm just a narrative guy.

e: Also I felt that there was a lot of repetition but maybe I just didn't "get" some nuances.

beer pal

dang i loved invisible cities... i picked up cosmicomics this weekend, also gravitys rainbow which i just started

3D Megadoodoo

I can't resist going to the Red Cross flea market down the street and buying books for a few euros each so next up I have some Yashar Kemal (never read anything by them), as soon as I finish Bolaño's La pista de hielo, which I'm liking a lot.

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Casey Plett put her first book of short stories up for free on her website. I've been reading it and a lot more of them are about people making love than I expected. Kind of feel like I fell into some kind of erotic snare.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

take the moon

by sebmojo
ive p much dipped out of anything written conventionally but im taking another stab at the ticket that exploded by burroughs and also outplace by lital khaikin

----------------

3D Megadoodoo

I didn't start reading Yashar Kemal I picked up a Dragonlance novel instead :)

Did you know that a draconian's bones explode when they die? I didn't!

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I'm reading the Songs of Maldoror by the Comte de Lautréamont. 19th-century French people were so gross lol

beer pal

i finished the jakarta method and its very good. feels liek its already affected my thinking. really lays bare how paper thin thw hole "freedom and democracy" myth of western capitalism is. dont tell the mods im posting politics in here. now im just started 'how europe underdeveloped aftrica" and its great so far

also like ~200 pages into gravitys rainbow & its incredible just totally wild loving it

How Wonderful!

I am now reading a not very interesting biography of Robert Duncan and revisiting a bunch of good Nathaniel Mackey books. I think his essays rule so much, very stoked to read Discrepant Engagement again.

3D Megadoodoo

deadking posted:

I'm reading the Songs of Maldoror by the Comte de Lautréamont. 19th-century French people were so gross lol

Is it good? I bought it like... 10 years ago? And haven't even started. What even is it?

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it good? I bought it like... 10 years ago? And haven't even started. What even is it?

I like it. It's hard for me to describe what it's about but it's basically about a hosed up guy named Maldoror who roams the French countryside doing hosed up and depraved things. Meanwhile he hallucinates (?) a bunch of crazy stuff. It's regarded as an early example of surrealism and Lautréamont employs a lot of experimental narrative techniques that were wild for the late 19th century I gather. For example, he had an interest in scientific writing so he weaves a lot of that into the book. Definitely recommended if you like grotesque and off-kilter fiction and it's a pretty quick read too.

How Wonderful!

It pairs really well with the 1926 Blaise Cendrars novel Moravagine if you've never read that. I like both of those books a lot.

3D Megadoodoo

How Wonderful! posted:

It pairs really well with the 1926 Blaise Cendrars novel Moravagine if you've never read that. I like both of those books a lot.

Heck I've never even heard of Blaise Cendrars. But I want me Moravagine.

Sorry.

Ass-penny

Just finishedThe Deep by Rivers Solomon, but credited also are Daveed Diggs, William Hutson, and Jonathan Snipes of clipping. and James Stinson/Gerald Donald from Drexciya. It's a wild story about the power of memory and trauma and is related to slavery. It is a very powerful novella and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The afterword explains how clipping. made a few songs based on Drexciya's body of music, the book is really another telling of the same sort of story.

xcheopis

I'm in the mood to re-read one of the best Christmas books ever published: Max Beerbohm's A Christmas Garland this year, so that's Christmas Day sorted!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Christmas_Garland

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

Ass-penny

Finally started reading my next book, Peace Talks by Jim Butcher. It is the latest in the Dresden Files series and I haven't read any of the other books since probably when I caught up two or three years ago, so every time he references a character or event I go "oooooohhhh" like a idiot.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

How Wonderful!

I got the big new Bruce Boone reader, Dismembered, because I wanted to cite something in it that I'd previously only had as a really raggedy looking scan of a scan of a xerox. It's so good. His writing about Duncan is just the best and funniest ever, his Spicer essay is the tops, he's just the perfect guy. I read his little translation of La Fontaine a bunch of years ago but rereading his intro tonight it just took my breath away.

3D Megadoodoo

I just realized I haven't read the book I got from my sister last Yule, but it's written by a mercenary so I don't know that I want to read it :-/

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I finished Maldoror and now I'm reading the Jakarta Method. I'm gonna be so freakin smart about the world after this!

3D Megadoodoo

OK this Comte de Lautréamont dude wrote some hosed-up stuff, I tell you what!

(Apparently I bought "Maldororin laulut" in 2009 and got as far as page 16 last time I started reading it.)

Ass-penny

I'm certainly not going to read it but can we all laugh about Ernest Cline's Ready Player Two?

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

xcheopis

I never read the first one!

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

3D Megadoodoo

rear end-penny posted:

I'm certainly not going to read it but can we all laugh about Ernest Cline's Ready Player Two?

OK :newlol:

Ass-penny

xcheopis posted:

I never read the first one!

I thought it was worth a read but have since been informed I have no taste. Anyway, it's very heavy with 80s references and a barely likeable main character. You're not missing much.

How Wonderful!

I read a few pretty unsatisfactory biographies of Magnus Hirschfeld so I gave up and just started reading Gay Berlin, a study that a few people I trust have recommended. Although I don't know why I don't just read Isherwood's stuff about Berlin and cut out the middlemensch.

Jaguars!

Oh darn it, I left Jules Verne's From the Earth to the moon in my side pocket of my checked baggage. Maybe if I explain how important it is to the pilot they'll get it out of the hold for me

Tezer

Jaguars! posted:

Oh darn it, I left Jules Verne's From the Earth to the moon in my side pocket of my checked baggage. Maybe if I explain how important it is to the pilot they'll get it out of the hold for me

Most planes have a hatch that leads into the cargo hold I think, maybe that's an option.

I just finished reading "Darkness at Noon" by Arthur Koestler. A bit of a downer, so I kept finding excuses not to read it, so it took a while.

Next I'm reading "Declare" by Tim Powers. I'm also slowly picking my way through "Sunrise with Seamonsters" by Paul Theroux.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I picked up a bunch of books for my birthday and have finally started reading them! :grovertoot:
I finished reading a collection of Rilke's poetry, which I really enjoyed. I also read through Asylum Piece by Anna Kavan, which although there were some good stories in that collection, didn't blow my socks off like Ice did. I just wrapped up The Soft Machine by Burroughs, going through Nova Express next.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

My plan for this holiday season:
"Seven Blades in black"
"Zoey Punches The future in the Dick"
"This is How You Lose The Time War"

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

My plan for this holiday season:
"Seven Blades in black"
"Zoey Punches The future in the Dick"
"This is How You Lose The Time War"

Most of the way through This is How You Lose The Time War and it's really intriguing - two agents from warring factions of time travellers wind up falling for each other in the old Enemies to Lovers trope but without having much actual contact. Their communication is through letters created out of the random detritus of the time period they're in. One of the more original books I've read about time travel

ulvir

i’m reading Death of Virgil atm, it’s really good

3D Megadoodoo

I started a crime novel and felt very sad when it hit "the world had gone mad with political correctness in recent years, and the criminals were enjoying every last bit of it!" by like page 30 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

it took so much longer than i had hoped but i dragged myself through the politics of heroin and it was alright but far more detailed about the aspects I was maybe least interested in so I feel like I learned insanely too much about postcolonial southeast asia, but I'm happy I didn't abandon it. Am going to take a bit of a break of tone by reading Subliminal Seduction by Wilson Bryan Key because if nothing else the cover is amazing